Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If I bump my questions again, will you attempt to answer any of them? [Yes or No]
Absolutely not.
So if you won't even try to answer questions on either Lessans' first or second non-discovery, what are you doing here?
I didn't say I wouldn't answer questions to his second discovery...
Yes you did. Do you need me to remind you of your own words once again?

Mental illness aside, can you at least acknowledge that you have memory impairment?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
You have stated this on several occasions. Where did you get the idea that the posters at :ff: are supposed to be the "best of the best"? I am pretty sure that we have not made that claim.
Speak for yourself, pastor. :grin:
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
You have stated this on several occasions. Where did you get the idea that the posters at :ff: are supposed to be the "best of the best"? I am pretty sure that we have not made that claim.

We all know that Davidm is 'the best of the best', but what is he 'best of'? :wink: :giggle: :chin: :popcorn:
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If I bump my questions again, will you attempt to answer any of them? [Yes or No]
Absolutely not.
So if you won't even try to answer questions on either Lessans' first or second non-discovery, what are you doing here?
I didn't say I wouldn't answer questions to his second discovery...
Yes you did. Do you need me to remind you of your own words once again?

Mental illness aside, can you at least acknowledge that you have memory impairment?
She would if only she could remember.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS

BULLETIN: Peacegirl Will Not Continue This Charade

:nope:

FREETHOUGHT-FORUM.COM (Internet News Service) – Peacegirl will not continue this charade, it was disclosed Saturday.

The bolt-out-of-the-blue announcement was made by peacegirl herself, in a Freethought-Forum message board post time-stamped 1:47 p.m.

“I am tired of the position you're coming from, which would deem your conclusion absolute and airtight,” peacegirl posted. “It does not do that, so I will not continue this charade.”

There was weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Tens of millions around the world who had been following the riveting message board discussion instigated more than a year ago by peacegirl herself were in varying degrees stunned, crestfallen, embittered, and angry.

“Every day I log in to this thread to see what new fuckwittery peacegirl will post,” said Emma Purdehorne, 49, a systems analyst in Des Moines, Iowa. “Now she says this charade of her own making is something up with which she will no longer put. What the fuck am I going to do with my time, now that the charade is over? Am I supposed to surf Facebook or watch fucking YouTube videos of men scratching their balls? This thrad was my whole life, and now the charade is over!” Ms. Purdehorne burst into tears.

Another poster at the board, Stephen Maturin, was beside himself.

“Holy fuck, and we’re only one page shy of 700, and just like that peacegirl decides to pull the plug on this river of jizz,” stated Maturin, who has more hair than substance and generally presents as a tool. “What the fuck are we supposed to do now? Talk to Jerome Da Gnome?”

Sixteen minutes after declaring the charade to be over, peacegirl resumed posting, and a grateful world heaved a collective sigh of relief.
Oh my god, I can't catch my breath because I'm laughing so hard. You have outdone yourself. I have tears streaming down my face as it contorts into weird configurations. You really missed your calling David, SERIOUSLY. :lmao: :rofl: :laugh: :giggle:
OK, peacegirl has a sense of humor. This means there is hope for her yet. :grin:

peacegirl, take Lessans' work as SATIRE, and you will be freed. It's very funny stuff, considered as satire.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:39 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
You say the material isn't convincing, but you didn't read the book LadyShea. I saw how you quickly dismissed his proof that man's will is not free, and we never did get to the actual discovery.
Ironically, Ladyshea said this on page 4 of this thread:
Quote:
I will even help you meet me where I am by telling you I do not accept or adhere to the concept of free will to begin with.
She just doesn't happen to agree with how Lessans "discovered" this.
I know that she doesn't believe in free will because of the advances in neuroscience.
No, not because of the "advances" in neuroscience, but because I think the whole concept of "free will" is meaningless and obsolete outside of theistic apologia. We can't choose against our own mind because our mind is what makes the choice. There is no soul separate from the mind, there is no outside "decider", the will cannot be separated from the decision making process...it's all our mind. Though it might very well be true that we always choose what we think is best for ourselves given the circumstances, that does not mean we MUST choose that way, nor can that element of necessary (ie MUST) be proven in any way.

Quote:
But I want people to understand his reasoning, which is important to understanding the two-sided equation.
His reasoning wasn't difficult to understand, it was just circular and fallacious

Last edited by LadyShea; 05-27-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You say the material isn't convincing, but you didn't read the book LadyShea. I saw how you quickly dismissed his proof that man's will is not free, and we never did get to the actual discovery.
Quote:
I will even help you meet me where I am by telling you I do not accept or adhere to the concept of free will to begin with.
I know that she doesn't believe in free will because of the advances in neuroscience.
No, not because of the "advances" in neuroscience, but because I think the whole concept of "free will" is meaningless and obsolete outside of theistic apologia. We can't choose against our own mind because our mind is what makes the choice. There is no soul separate from the mind, there is no outside "decider", the will cannot be separated from the decision making process...it's all our mind. Though it might very well be true that we always choose what we think is best for ourselves given the circumstances, that does not mean we MUST choose that way, nor can that be proven in any way.

Quote:
But I want people to understand his reasoning, which is important to understanding the two-sided equation.
His reasoning wasn't difficult to understand, it was just circular and fallacious
Just calling it circular reasoning is being very kind. He was either a twit or deliberately trying to deceive.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I really don't get it because you are supposed to be the best of the best...
You have stated this on several occasions. Where did you get the idea that the posters at :ff: are supposed to be the "best of the best"? I am pretty sure that we have not made that claim. Did someones else tell that we were the "best of the best" or is that just something you came up with all by yourself?
LadyShea keeps referring to this. She says that there are biologists, lawyers, philosophers, etc. who are very capable. I'm sure they are, but what she appears to be saying is that if these people don't agree with Lessans, then it can't be right. That in itself is a big problem because it's not the knowledge and what it contains that matters the most; it's the opinions of those considered "the best of the best" that matters most unfortunately.
I don't recall that Lady Shea ever claimed that the posters at :ff: are "the best of the best". Would you care to provide a citation for that?
She didn't say those exact words, but she did allude to the fact that there are professionals in here who are very educated in their fields.
It is a fact that there are such professionals posting here, some in this very thread. It does not therefore follow that they are "the best of the best". It is also a fact that Lady Shea has mentioned the presence of such professionals. Again, it does not follow from her mentioning them that she is claiming they are "the best of the best". So, when you attributed such a claim to her you must have been lying. Isn't that right?
You sound like an interrogator Angakuk. What's up with that? No, I don't lie. She alluded to the fact that these people are some of the best and if they fail to see any validity to this discovery, no one else will either. Whether she said the best of the best is irrelevant; the point still stands.
Then show me where she said, alluded to, made reference to or implied that the professionals posting here were "some of the best". If you can't show me where Lady Shea wrote that, then have the decency to admit that you made it up.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Please note that I am not denying that we are "the best of the best". I am simply asking for evidence that Lady Shea, or anyone else (other than davidm, whom we all know is full of shit), ever made such a claim.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Please note that I am not denying that we are "the best of the best". I am simply asking for evidence that Lady Shea, or anyone else (other than davidm, whom we all know is full of shit), ever made such a claim.
:glare:
Old 05-27-2012, 04:54 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

WHAT! Are you kidding me? Davidm, who is the very epitome of decorum and good taste?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 AM

Yeah, I am just kidding. David is a paragon of every virtue.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Yeah, I am just kidding. David is a paragon of every virtue.
Thanks. :yup:
Old 05-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS

BULLETIN: Peacegirl Will Not Continue This Charade

:nope:

FREETHOUGHT-FORUM.COM (Internet News Service) – Peacegirl will not continue this charade, it was disclosed Saturday.

The bolt-out-of-the-blue announcement was made by peacegirl herself, in a Freethought-Forum message board post time-stamped 1:47 p.m.

“I am tired of the position you're coming from, which would deem your conclusion absolute and airtight,” peacegirl posted. “It does not do that, so I will not continue this charade.”

There was weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Tens of millions around the world who had been following the riveting message board discussion instigated more than a year ago by peacegirl herself were in varying degrees stunned, crestfallen, embittered, and angry.

“Every day I log in to this thread to see what new fuckwittery peacegirl will post,” said Emma Purdehorne, 49, a systems analyst in Des Moines, Iowa. “Now she says this charade of her own making is something up with which she will no longer put. What the fuck am I going to do with my time, now that the charade is over? Am I supposed to surf Facebook or watch fucking YouTube videos of men scratching their balls? This thrad was my whole life, and now the charade is over!” Ms. Purdehorne burst into tears.

Another poster at the board, Stephen Maturin, was beside himself.

“Holy fuck, and we’re only one page shy of 700, and just like that peacegirl decides to pull the plug on this river of jizz,” stated Maturin, who has more hair than substance and generally presents as a tool. “What the fuck are we supposed to do now? Talk to Jerome Da Gnome?”

Sixteen minutes after declaring the charade to be over, peacegirl resumed posting, and a grateful world heaved a collective sigh of relief.
Oh my god, I can't catch my breath because I'm laughing so hard. You have outdone yourself. I have tears streaming down my face as it contorts into weird configurations. You really missed your calling David, SERIOUSLY. :lmao: :rofl: :laugh: :giggle:
OK, peacegirl has a sense of humor. This means there is hope for her yet. :grin:

peacegirl, take Lessans' work as SATIRE, and you will be freed. It's very funny stuff, considered as satire.
No David, it's not a satire so I can't pretend it is. I know you wish it was because then the conflict of real time vision vs. delayed vision would be gone, and everything would be honkey dorey! :cool:
Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, not because of the "advances" in neuroscience, but because I think the whole concept of "free will" is meaningless and obsolete outside of theistic apologia. We can't choose against our own mind because our mind is what makes the choice. There is no soul separate from the mind, there is no outside "decider", the will cannot be separated from the decision making process...it's all our mind. Though it might very well be true that we always choose what we think is best for ourselves given the circumstances, that does not mean we MUST choose that way, nor can that element of necessary (ie MUST) be proven in any way.
You are absolutely wrong LadyShea. You have not understood the proof whatsoever. This is the crux of the problem; you think your analysis of what he's written is accurate, and it's far from accurate. That's why I say you are arrogant. You aren't asking questions at all; you are confronting me without even understanding why our choices are not free. The fact that you say we MUST choose that way before the choice is made, shows me how confused you are.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
According to you, correct? Einstein didn't need your approval, and neither did Lessans. Just remember the following because it seems you are using certain standards that you believe can determine whether Lessans is right or wrong, and you have concluded that he is wrong. Just remember that this knowledge is not an opinion. Just maybe you will have the decency to stop acting as if you know he is wrong (because you don't), and give him the benefit of the doubt before throwing this knowledge into a scrap heap which you will eventually do if you keep on this path.

This
discovery will be presented in a step by step fashion that brooks no
opposition and your awareness of this matter will preclude the
possibility of someone adducing his rank, title, affiliation, or the long
tenure of an accepted belief as a standard from which he thinks he
qualifies to disagree with knowledge that contains within itself
undeniable proof of its veracity.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I really don't get it because you are supposed to be the best of the best...
You have stated this on several occasions. Where did you get the idea that the posters at :ff: are supposed to be the "best of the best"? I am pretty sure that we have not made that claim. Did someones else tell that we were the "best of the best" or is that just something you came up with all by yourself?
LadyShea keeps referring to this. She says that there are biologists, lawyers, philosophers, etc. who are very capable. I'm sure they are, but what she appears to be saying is that if these people don't agree with Lessans, then it can't be right. That in itself is a big problem because it's not the knowledge and what it contains that matters the most; it's the opinions of those considered "the best of the best" that matters most unfortunately.
I don't recall that Lady Shea ever claimed that the posters at :ff: are "the best of the best". Would you care to provide a citation for that?
She didn't say those exact words, but she did allude to the fact that there are professionals in here who are very educated in their fields.
It is a fact that there are such professionals posting here, some in this very thread. It does not therefore follow that they are "the best of the best". It is also a fact that Lady Shea has mentioned the presence of such professionals. Again, it does not follow from her mentioning them that she is claiming they are "the best of the best". So, when you attributed such a claim to her you must have been lying. Isn't that right?
You sound like an interrogator Angakuk. What's up with that? No, I don't lie. She alluded to the fact that these people are some of the best and if they fail to see any validity to this discovery, no one else will either. Whether she said the best of the best is irrelevant; the point still stands.
Then show me where she said, alluded to, made reference to or implied that the professionals posting here were "some of the best". If you can't show me where Lady Shea wrote that, then have the decency to admit that you made it up.
How am I supposed to find it in the midst of this jungle of a thread? Ask LadyShea. I wouldn't lie, at least not intentionally.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't lie, at least not intentionally.
Do you really think anyone here still views you as honest? The above is only true in the sense that you are too far gone to still be capable of recognizing your own pathological dishonesty, and so out of touch with reality that you may be capable of actually believing even the most transparent of falsehoods, at least at the time you post them. Plus your memory is so impaired that you likely do not remember how many times you've been caught out saying things that no cognitively functional person in your situation could possibly consider true. (Not that any sane person could ever be in your situation.)
Old 05-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't lie, at least not intentionally.
Do you really think anyone here still views you as honest? The above is only true in the sense that you are too far gone to still be capable of recognizing your own pathological dishonesty, and so out of touch with reality that you may be capable of actually believing even the most transparent of falsehoods, at least at the time you post them. Plus your memory is so impaired that you likely do not remember how many times you've been caught out saying things that no cognitively functional person in your situation could possibly consider true. (Not that any sane person could ever be in your situation.)
If that's what you've gotten from these forums, then it's time for you to say goodbye. You have already committed yourself to the idea that Lessans is wrong, and I'm a nut, so please leave Spacemonkey. I know you believe your input is significant and more valid than Lessans. It is not. As a result, you may believe that any answer other than the one you want to hear means that I'm delusional. I am not. You may continue this analysis of me which compels you to believe I'm a fundie, which then becomes the focus, not the discovery. I am not a fundie. So go Spacemonkey, and have a good life. I'm really urging you to let this whole discussion go, because it's doing both of us no good. I hold nothing against you, but I don't think this relationship is good for either of us, even if you are one of the people I would have chosen to examine this work. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
If that's what you've gotten from these forums, then it's time for you to say goodbye. You have already committed yourself to the idea that Lessans is wrong, and I'm a nut, so please leave Spacemonkey. I know you believe your input is significant and more valid than Lessans. It is not. As a result, you may believe that any answer other than the one you want to hear means that I'm delusional. I am not. You may continue this analysis of me which compels you to believe I'm a fundie, which then becomes the focus, not the discovery. I am not a fundie. So go Spacemonkey, and have a good life. I'm really am urging you to let this whole thing go, just like you are urging me to give up on this discovery. I hold nothing against you, but I don't think this relationship is good for either of us, even if you are one of the people I would have chosen to examine this work. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.
No, I'm not leaving. If you won't answer any of my questions, then I'll just stay and present you with the evidence of your own mental dysfunction. If you don't like that, then too bad. If everyone left here who thinks you're certifiably nuts, then you'd be left here alone with no-one at all to talk to. And if engaging in unhealthy behavior by staying is enough reason to leave, then you should be the first to go.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If that's what you've gotten from these forums, then it's time for you to say goodbye. You have already committed yourself to the idea that Lessans is wrong, and I'm a nut, so please leave Spacemonkey. I know you believe your input is significant and more valid than Lessans. It is not. As a result, you may believe that any answer other than the one you want to hear means that I'm delusional. I am not. You may continue this analysis of me which compels you to believe I'm a fundie, which then becomes the focus, not the discovery. I am not a fundie. So go Spacemonkey, and have a good life. I'm really am urging you to let this whole thing go, just like you are urging me to give up on this discovery. I hold nothing against you, but I don't think this relationship is good for either of us, even if you are one of the people I would have chosen to examine this work. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.
No, I'm not leaving. If you won't answer any of my questions, then I'll just stay and present you with the evidence of your own mental dysfunction. If you don't like that, then too bad. If everyone left here who thinks you're certifiably nuts, then you'd be left here alone with no-one at all to talk to. And if engaging in unhealthy behavior by staying is enough reason to leave, then you should be the first to go.
Oh my god, don't you have a clue as to what you're doing? NA's constant badgering has really gotten to you. I now put you in a category of someone who is so off the mark that I refuse to talk to you, unless, you change your attitude. I am not here to be attacked, degraded, and made to feel that I am mentally ill for believing very strongly that Lessans was right. When he is proven right, what will you have to say then Spacemonkey? And don't tell me this can't happen because you know he's wrong.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely wrong LadyShea. You have not understood the proof whatsoever. This is the crux of the problem; you think your analysis of what he's written is accurate, and it's far from accurate. That's why I say you are arrogant. You aren't asking questions at all; you are confronting me without even understanding why our choices are not free. The fact that you say we MUST choose that way before the choice is made, shows me how confused you are.
You have always been confused about the difference between necessary truths and actual truths. When you say people are compelled to choose, and when you say they had to have chosen the way they do, you are introducing the must ahead of time.

The most you can say is that people did choose the way the did and that you believe, think, or of the opinion that the choice was in the direction of greater satisfaction.

Here's a question from long ago

Quote:
One cannot empirically observe human nature. One can observe humans behaving. One can observe humans acting. One can observe human spoken or written words.

So, what humans did he observe doing what behaviors, actions, or words?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Oh my god, don't you have a clue as to what you're doing?
I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm presenting a delusional woman with evidence of her own illness.

Quote:
NA's constant badgering has really gotten to you.
How has NA gotten to me or influenced me in any way?

Quote:
I now put you in a category of someone who is so off the mark that I refuse to talk to you, unless, you change your attitude.
You said that a few pages and several replies ago. Another few hours and you will have forgotten saying it here as well.

Quote:
I am not here to be attacked, degraded, and made to feel that I am mentally ill for believing very strongly that Lessans was right.
You clearly are delusional for believing that Lessans was right about things that have been disproved to the point where you refuse to even discuss them anymore. And you are mentally ill for continuing posting in an environment where everyone thinks you are insane, and for spending a decade at an activity which you have acknowledged for years to be the wrong way of doing things.

Quote:
When he is proven right, what will you have to say then Spacemonkey? And don't tell me this can't happen because you know he's wrong.
We do know that he's wrong. He cannot be proven right.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Evidence of mental illness:

Quote:
I'm not going to talk to you any further...
After posting the above, you go on to reply to a single later post of mine three separate times...
Quote:
Quote:
Really? Wow. Who is responsible for this alleged brainwashing that has resulted in my conclusion that you are mentally ill?
Spacemonkey, you continue to put your foot in your mouth, which will get you nowhere.
Quote:
Quote:
Really? Wow. Who is responsible for this alleged brainwashing that has resulted in my conclusion that you are mentally ill?
Not me. This is your doing brother. Do you see how easy it is to blame me? Of course not, because that would make you have to take responsibility.
Quote:
Quote:
Here you go again talking about my mental status. I'm not interested.
...and not once do you even manage to answer the question asked.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
When he is proven right, what will you have to say then Spacemonkey?
Dunno about Spacemoneky, but if that happens in my lifetime I will get on the TV or YouTube or whatever and say "I am a codfish"
Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You have always been confused about the difference between necessary truths and actual truths. When you say people are compelled to choose, and when you say they had to have chosen the way they do, you are introducing the must ahead of time.
This is the antithesis of what I'm saying.

Quote:
The most you can say is that people did choose the way the did and that you believe, think, or of the opinion that the choice was in the direction of greater satisfaction.

Here's a question from long ago

Quote:
One cannot empirically observe human nature. One can observe humans behaving. One can observe humans acting. One can observe human spoken or written words.

So, what humans did he observe doing what behaviors, actions, or words?
It's true that people can only observe humans acting, but they can find a thread in their actions that prove something true. You can't even entertain the possibility that Lessans is right (for whatever reason), which feeds into the way you respond. I can't win here if you are steadfast that no matter what Lessans says, you automatically think he's wrong. That's what is happening, without one shred of proof, and it's ironic because this brings into question who is really blind.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy