Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum

Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Coffin Creep

Default Re: Recommend me an RPG

I always liked the Basic and Expert set more than AD&D. The rules were stripped down and I'd rather spend a little time adding stuff, unlike the advanced game where there were tons of rules and tables no one bothered to use. The Basic set only lived down to its reputation as the kiddy version during the edition with the Elmore art. The earlier editions and the Cyclopedia didn't come across as patronizing.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

FF8 is the most beautiful game ever made. Don't ask Mega; he isn't romantic enough to appreciate it.

:thanked:
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
FF8 is the most beautiful game ever made. Don't ask Mega; he isn't romantic enough to appreciate it.
I also couldn't cough up the level of cognitive dissonance required to gloss over plot holes you could drive a dozen tanks through, or the wide eyes of a 10-year-old that couldn't realize these horrible ass characters weren't even slightly interesting or endearing.

Or, rather, in the words of Squall himself: "Whatever." (this word accounts for 75% of his dialog)
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I wish someone would come play tabletop games with me :sadcheer: I've never really played.

I'm still searching, I almost got Baulder's Gate because it's been suuuuch a long time. My Windows box isn't quite gameworthy yet, got to find out why my usb ports are frying anything put in them. Killed my last usb wireless mouse.

So I search some more.

I did play Fallout 2 and 3, Mass Effect(s) (awesome), and Dragon Quest has piqued my intrest. I'm hunting down a local copy now but Mr Curses has hogged the gaming system today.
Ymir's blood (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Coffin Creep

:chin:
curses (09-17-2012), Ensign Steve (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 AM
ne plus ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
I wish someone would come play tabletop games with me :sadcheer: I've never really played.
Tabletop Role Playing and Board Games Meetups near Atlanta, Georgia - Tabletop Role Playing and Board Games Meetups - Atlanta
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 AM
California Sober

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
:chin:
:pickme:
Crumb (09-17-2012), curses (09-17-2012), Ymir's blood (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Coffin Creep

I've mostly been out of tabletop RPGs since the '90s. A stable gaming group is a must for having a good time within the game. However, a one off game would be doable. Still, I was thinking more along the lines of boardgames. I still have my copy of Talisman (second edition), Junta, and a few others. I could most likely borrow my brother's copies of Nuclear War or Illuminati.

I rather enjoyed Scabble last weekend, despite starting out with a horrible lingering draw.
curses (09-17-2012), Ensign Steve (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Not MY fault you got the x and the z :offended: The thing about finding a gaming group is having a schedule that doesn't change every 2 months. Plus I've tried to play at school (there's a group of kids that sit out in the smoking area and play) but I always have to leave to work before the game's over.

I am intrigued by Illuminati and you know how I feel about Nuclear War.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
Not MY fault you got the x and the z :offended:
I only said it was rigged on FB to get a rise out of you so... :irwinnar:

Quote:
The thing about finding a gaming group is having a schedule that doesn't change every 2 months. Plus I've tried to play at school (there's a group of kids that sit out in the smoking area and play) but I always have to leave to work before the game's over.
Yeah, that's why I've only done tabletop RPG's once in nearly two decades. We'd have a couple of good core players and the rest would come and go. With tabletop miniatures games, you just need one other person to play. It makes scheduling so much easier because the games are one off and also it's a lot easier to filter out the assholes and powergamers.

Quote:
I am intrigued by Illuminati and you know how I feel about Nuclear War.
We could probably pull off a game of Illuminati if it's more than just you and ES and me. If both husbands joined in, that would be about perfect, but four would work. With three people, it's too easy for a two against one dynamic to form and the game is best with shifting alliances.

Nuclear War doesn't rely so much on alliances though more people would still be good. Junta needs five minimum and preferably the max of seven.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I doubt we'd be able to get Mr Curses to play but we could try. How about cats? I bet Carson would loooove to help.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Coffin Creep

We had cats try and play a game of OGRE years ago. It didn't go so well.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Adequately Crumbulent

I have heard tell on the internest that some folks have been having success playing table top rpgs using Google+ Hangout.
curses (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

I has a PC now! I also have gained an unhealthy addiction to DOSbox. Currently playing Settlers 2. So much for my supposed RPG addiction.
Stormlight (09-27-2012), Ymir's blood (09-26-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
I hear that Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story are good on the Wii (they just came out this year). I've been thinking about getting them, but I wonder when I'll have time to play them.

I would also recommend Chrono Trigger (and its sequel, Chrono Cross), and the other SNES RPGs The Man mentioned. Final Fantasy 4 and 5 are also worth a play.

Vagrant Story on the PS1 is also really good.

I haven't really played that many RPGs in recent years though, aside from handheld ones. The Golden Sun series was good (the last one, on the DS, was definitely my favoriate of the three, or two if you count the first two as one big game), that was on the GBA and DS.
My opinion of you went up a notch because you are also a fan of Golden Sun. That is one of my favorite handheld RPG game series. I dearly hope we get a sequel to the last game considering how the game ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I also couldn't cough up the level of cognitive dissonance required to gloss over plot holes you could drive a dozen tanks through, or the wide eyes of a 10-year-old that couldn't realize these horrible ass characters weren't even slightly interesting or endearing.

Or, rather, in the words of Squall himself: "Whatever." (this word accounts for 75% of his dialog)
The game has its problems, but it isn't quite that bad. I happened to enjoy the game. Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game of the Playstation era, though. Of the three games made of the Playstation, I preferred the graphical style of Final Fantasy VIII the most, though.

Allan Glenn. 1984-2005 RIP
:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:03 AM

I couldn't stand it. Hell, I almost smashed the disc that had that god fucking awful orphanage scene. Then there were the random acid flashbacks to 3 guys the game never gives you a single reason to give a fuck about and... meh, I'll just reel in this tangent because it'll go on for several pages if I don't.

I don't think I was even through disc 2 before playing FF8 went from morbid curiosity to forcing myself to finish it just so I could more accurately review how horrible it was.

Still, it did have the best graphical style of the PS1 Final Fantasies. Can't argue that one. Also, agreed on 9, it's my favorite in the series that wasn't a SNES game (4-6 are far and away the best they ever did).

Now, 10 on the other hand... I threw that fucking disc into the street less than a third of the way through that piece of shit and never looked back. Haven't played a FF game since.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

If they did HD console remakes of FF4-6 (but especially 6) or of Chrono Trigger/Cross, I'd probably jizz in my pants.

And then if it wasn't on a console I own/have access to, I'd curse them for making me have to buy or borrow one.

I haven't actually played all the way through Final Fantasy 4, but I hear it has a good story. It probably could use some modification to the gameplay. Final Fantasy 6 would be so epic if they expanded on the story and made locations like Vector feel as big and gritty and expansive as they ought to be.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

If Square Enix ever did a current generation remake of Final Fantasy VI, I think it is quite likely that my squee will break every glass pane in the northern hemisphere. Of all the Final Fantasies VI is my favorite.

If they got a voice actor who could nail the role of Kefka, I think you'd have a new classic video game villain. The fucker is crazy, but any depiction of him that includes some form of voice acting would be a delicate balancing act. If they get it right, though, they'd have a legend on their hands.

:countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep::countsheep:
Thanks, from:
curses (10-01-2012), Stormlight (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
Now, 10 on the other hand... I threw that fucking disc into the street less than a third of the way through that piece of shit and never looked back. Haven't played a FF game since.
This, I don't understand. Final Fantasy X was one of the better RPG's on the Playstation 2. Why didn't you like it?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonCapitan2002 View Post
Quote:
This, I don't understand. Final Fantasy X was one of the better RPG's on the Playstation 2. Why didn't you like it?
Because it was fucking terrible? The voice acting was nails on a chalkboard, but that only brought out the even more utterly horrendous dialogue.

Not to mention, the story was completely fucking retarded. The game has many times over the amount of story and characterization of the older games but if that's the product they're going to make, I'd rather they do more with less. None of it was engaging at all, the characters were goddamn garbage (ok, except for Auron ...he kinda owns but he can't save the ship from sinking) and I didn't even get halfway through before I flat out stopped giving a shit.

If you're going to make a decision as a game maker to focus your games on the story instead of the gameplay, the story needs to be engaging. It wasn't. At all. The more Square tries to build supposedly "complex" stories into their games, the more it's put on clear display that they're absolutely not capable of doing this with any sort of competence.

They should have called it Final Fantasy: Daddy Issues.

Last edited by Megatron; 10-06-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Servant of the Dark Lord

I happened to enjoy the story. Still, I can respect the fact that you didn't enjoy it. Out of curiosity, what games from the Playstation 2 era did you like?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM

The PS2 was a bit weak on RPGs really, but there were some good ones - Persona 3 and 4, the Digital Devil Saga games, Shadow Hearts, Arc The Lad, Suikoden 3, and of course:
Quote:
the best PS2 RPGs: Dragon Quest VIII and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. These two will keep you occupied for 200+ hours between them.
At least it had those... the PS3 doesn't have shit unless you count stuff like ME3 and Skyrim (but why would you play them on a console?) Most of the good RPGs now are computer games or remakes for handhelds, it seems.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Rosetta Stoned

Dragon Age games are a lot of fun.
curses (10-10-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BracesForImpact View Post
Dragon Age games are a lot of fun.
I really liked the first one but the sequel was so bad it's hard to find words to qualify it. Like, worse than Final Fantasy 8 bad.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Servant of the Dark Lord

Quote:
The PS2 was a bit weak on RPGs really, but there were some good ones - Persona 3 and 4, the Digital Devil Saga games, Shadow Hearts, Arc The Lad, Suikoden 3, and of course:
Quote:
the best PS2 RPGs: Dragon Quest VIII and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. These two will keep you occupied for 200+ hours between them.
At least it had those... the PS3 doesn't have shit unless you count stuff like ME3 and Skyrim (but why would you play them on a console?) Most of the good RPGs now are computer games or remakes for handhelds, it seems.
Dragon Quest VIII was good. Did you ever play any of the Breath of Fire games? My favorite of that series happens to be Breath of Fire IV for the Playstation. That game was a classic in my opinion.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Colosseum