Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2024, 12:35 AM
Take back the weird

Default Been to any good concerts lately?

Starting a thrad because I can't find one on point. I'd rather have a place for brags about seeing great shows than bury them in the Listening thread.

Last Friday, best Friday the 13th ever, I saw Beat. Outdoor venue, 4th row, right in the center.

Matlock mentioned them in that other thread, but like I said, buried on page 3K or whatever. 2 members of King Crimson in the 80's era, Adrian Belew and Tony Levin, together with guitar god Steve Vai and Tool drummer Danny Carey, doing music from those 3 80s albums: Discipline, Beat (hence the name), and Three of a Perfect Pair.

Warning to any mere mortals who aren't into this prognerd stuff: You probably wouldn't like this show, at all. Belew's synthesized guitar and Vai's stratospheric axe get really loud, and really high-pitched, while Levin and Carey are laying down near-relentless rhythms. I, however, fucking loved it.

The following pics are sized in half due to hugeness, hopefully they're still clear enough.

Adrian Belew, still in great voice and hilarious to watch:

Steve Vai, who was also hilarious without ever saying a word:

Tony Levin smacking his bass with plastic tubes on his fingertips, a technique I'm calling "Hot Dog Fingers":

Tony again, this time playing the amazing Chapman "Stick":

Post-show bow, showing just how friggin' enormous Danny Carey is:

ETA: P.S. to Matlock - I tend to avoid finding out a setlist ahead of seeing a show, so I'm not gonna spoil anything. You will get a nice surprise, however, if you're a good audience.

:sockpuppet:...........

Last edited by Sock Puppet; 09-18-2024 at 01:27 AM.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (09-18-2024), Ensign Steve (09-18-2024), JoeP (09-18-2024), slimshady2357 (09-18-2024), Stephen Maturin (09-18-2024), vremya (09-18-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature