Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 10-14-2022, 12:44 AM

Default Smashing Fossil Fuels.

I had done so long ago. But my ideas didn't do any good. I will tell you of how I smashed fossil fuels here. Who knows, maybe somebody here can come up with some reason why it wouldn't work.

Back in the late 50's, early 60's, the U.S. experimented with nuclear powered rockets. They operated at 5600 F. And despite being built light enough to fly, they were expected to be able to maintain a constant thrust for 600 hours. Or 25 days. So the engineering to be able to withstand that kind of heat is around 60 years old. It is quite possible that in the past 60 years, some compound or process has been created that can withstand even greater temperatures for an even longer period.

Now 2% of H2O will combust and split into hydrogen and oxygen atoms at 3600 F. And when something combusts, of course, it creates heat. On this next point, I'm not exactly sure. But I would have to imagine that the percentage of H2O that would combust would rise sharply from there without all that much higher of a rise in temperature. So that at about 4500 F, most, if not all of the H2O exposed to such temperatures would disassociate into hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

So imagine if you had a furnace that was made of material just as good (and possibly better) as that used in the core of a nuclear powered rocket. Then you preheated that furnace to around 5000 F. At that temperature, you then injected water or hot steam into it. All of that water or steam would then combust into hydrogen and oxygen atoms. Creating heat as it did so. Also, not being designed to fly, such a furnace could be built much more robustly.

The heat created could them be used to heat water to create steam. Which would then power turbines to create electricity. Just as is done in coal fired power plants or nuclear powered power plants. Also, just creating the heat through the combustion and disassociation of the water into hydrogen and oxygen atoms is one thing. But when the hydrogen and oxygen atoms recombine, they create heat also. After all, that is how the engines on the Space Shuttle operated. They combusted hydrogen and oxygen. The exhaust was mostly water. And the space shuttle rocket engines operated at 6000 F. That is about 1500 F more than what was needed to disassociate-combust the water to begin with. With such a furnace, measures would have to be taken to keep the whole thing from melting.

On top of that, the disassociated hydrogen and oxygen atoms would be so hot that they might act like a plasma. To a degree tat if you passed such gasses through a magnetohydrodynamic device, they alone could produce additional electricity.

The process I explained would create its own heat. After the initial heating of the furnace, no outside source of power would be required. It would create free heat and energy for as long as science could manage to create such a furnace to last.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:07 AM
mesospheric bore

Default Re: Smashing Fossil Fuels.

I suggest you immediately stop posting and build a prototype.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), ChuckF (10-14-2022), Crumb (10-14-2022), JoeP (10-14-2022), LarsMac (10-14-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 06:17 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Or you could just buy a perpetual motion machine off ebay or youtube. Geezus, why all that effort?
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-14-2022), beyelzu (10-19-2022), ChuckF (10-14-2022), JoeP (10-14-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 03:08 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Jesus Christ your poor high school teachers were right: you are completely fucking retarded. It's no wonder you've failed in life.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-14-2022), beyelzu (10-19-2022), JoeP (10-14-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

I miss the cold nuclear fusion stuff from the chubsmoocher iteration, which was totally and irrefutably backed up by stuff everyone's favorite welfare monkey remembered seeing on 60 Minutes.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-14-2022), beyelzu (10-19-2022), ChuckF (10-14-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-14-2022), Sock Puppet (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:21 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
I miss the cold nuclear fusion stuff from the chubsmoocher iteration, which was totally and irrefutably backed up by stuff everyone's favorite welfare monkey remembered seeing on 60 Minutes.
Did corksnarfer 1.0 have the FTL drive or was that somebody else?
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-14-2022), beyelzu (10-19-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:44 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

:lol:

OMFG how did I forget "I also came up with the plans of an FTL space drive"! Guess I was too busy listening to the children scream.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-14-2022), beyelzu (10-19-2022), ChuckF (10-14-2022), Crumb (10-14-2022), JoeP (10-15-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:14 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Quote:

OMFG how did I forget "I also came up with the plans of an FTL space drive"! Guess I was too busy listening to the children scream.
SPACE CANOE :captainpike: :rowboat:
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), JoeP (10-15-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 09:12 AM
Solipsist

Quote:

Next, oh yes

Next, mashedcultist was the one who introduced every paragraph with "next"

Next, disobey has obviously forgotten that stylistic tic.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Old 10-14-2022, 05:23 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

If I was a high school science teacher I would have weekly bonus points for identifying the flaw in perpetual motion machines.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), ChuckF (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 06:55 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
If I was a high school science teacher I would have weekly bonus points for identifying the flaw in perpetual motion machines.
I bet obeysmasher's teachers (I won't say high school, may not have got that far) knew they were wasting their time.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), ChuckF (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 07:03 PM
THIS IS REALLY ADVANCED ENGLISH

Too long have we been oppressed by the :airquote: "Laws" of thermodynamics, probably written by Jews! Smash this cult and be free! :shakejew:

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-14-2022), beyelzu (10-19-2022), ceptimus (10-15-2022), ChuckF (10-14-2022), Crumb (10-14-2022), ShottleBop (10-16-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
Too long have we been oppressed by the :airquote: "Laws" of thermodynamics, probably written by Jews! Smash this cult and be free! :shakejew:
You, ARI, But, Fragment and JoeP can all "stick it." (And no doubt you know where) I asked anybody reading my thread to give me some reasons why it wouldn't work. And all I got was bullshit as a reply. Do I need to start a thread and ask if there is anybody at this forum that isn't a troll?
Old 10-17-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disobey View Post
Quote:
You, ARI, But, Fragment and JoeP can all "stick it." (And no doubt you know where) I asked anybody reading my thread to give me some reasons why it wouldn't work. And all I got was bullshit as a reply. Do I need to start a thread and ask if there is anybody at this forum that isn't a troll?
There was a hint in there as to why it won't work, which The Lone Ranger explicated a bit -- not that you understood either the hint or the explanation, you absolute shitwit.

And are you actually threatening to start a new thread? Oh no, please don't embarrass yourself again, cumdumpster!

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), JoeP (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There was a hint in there as to why it won't work, which The Lone Ranger explicated a bit -- not that you understood either the hint or the explanation, you absolute shitwit.

And are you actually threatening to start a new thread? Oh no, please don't embarrass yourself again, cumdumpster!
You are stupid and insulting too. I think I've had enough of you too. Welcome to ignore land.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are stupid and insulting too. I think I've had enough of you too. Welcome to ignore land.
:irwinnar:

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-20-2022), ChuckF (10-19-2022), JoeP (10-19-2022), Pan Narrans (10-19-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-19-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:06 PM
Solipsist

How is insulting people and starting new threads working out for you?

Read my thread "disobey is a sad sack of shit" and point out where I am right.

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), ceptimus (10-15-2022), Crumb (10-14-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

if I told the truth about the vast majority of you, what you would call insulting, I would be banned.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:14 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Quote:

if I told the truth about the vast majority of you, what you would call insulting, I would be banned.
Insults do not lead to bans. Read the rules. Read them and understand them!

Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you understand the meaning of my username?
Old 10-16-2022, 09:30 AM
Solipsist

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you understand the meaning of my username?
Do you understand irony?

Old 10-14-2022, 10:07 PM

Well they wouldn’t be bonus points if I just gave the answer away, now would they.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), JoeP (10-14-2022), Stephen Maturin (10-14-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:44 PM

The D Isomer of Bey?
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-19-2022), fragment (10-15-2022), JoeP (10-16-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 12:06 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

You ask why it can't work? Simple.

While it's true that energy is released when you break molecular bonds, sometimes it takes more energy to break molecular bonds than is released when they're broken. Such reactions are, therefore, necessarily endothermic.

It takes more energy to separate water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen than is released when you do it. So your proposed mechanism would not generate energy, it would absorb energy.

It's not like this hasn't been tried, after all.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-16-2022), beyelzu (10-19-2022), ChuckF (10-16-2022), JoeP (10-16-2022), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-16-2022), Pan Narrans (10-16-2022), ShottleBop (10-16-2022), Sock Puppet (10-17-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
You ask why it can't work? Simple.

While it's true that energy is released when you break molecular bonds, sometimes it takes more energy to break molecular bonds than is released when they're broken. Such reactions are, therefore, necessarily endothermic.

It takes more energy to separate water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen than is released when you do it. So your proposed mechanism would not generate energy, it would absorb energy.

It's not like this hasn't been tried, after all.

Ho wooly shit! So somebody around here isn't just a troll. Far out. Now, as to the idea, it may be true that it takes more heat to break apart the H2O molecule than it would create. Maybe. I don't know. But it seems to me that with the H2O molecule being so difficult to break, that when it actually did break, it would produce a good amount of heat. Maybe the same amount. Kind of like a "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" kind of thing. At the very least, it would produce some heat. And any heat it produced would be that much less heat that would be needed to break the molecular bonds of other H2O molecules.

Next, as I mentioned, when the molecules recombined, they would produce heat as well. Though it is a different process, oxygen and hydrogen atoms combining into H2O is what gave the Space Shuttle engines their thrust. And they operated at 6000 F. Which is about 1500 F more than the amount of heat it should take to break apart all of the H2O molecules to begin with.

Also, when I first came up with this idea, my idea for it was just to use the pressured from the combusted H2O to directly power turbines. I found a good university and emailed a professor who taught physics there. I figured that if anybody would know, he would. So I told him my idea. He emailed me back and said that the plan as I thought of it wouldn't work. Because the free hydrogen and oxygen atoms would almost immediately recombine into H2O molecules.

So of course, my idea for directly utilizing pressure from the process wouldn't work. But I figured that it would still produce heat. Heat from the molecules first breaking apart and then recombining. Which should produce enough excess heat to produce steam for turbines. And leave enough heat behind to keep the whole process going.

Next, as you said, I would be surprised if I was the first person to come up with this idea. But here's the thing. Which admittedly delves into the realm of conspiracy. If somebody came up with such a process, they no doubt would have patented it. If they did so, people with very deep pockets such as the coal and oil industries may have bought the patent and buried it. It may have even been confiscated by the U.S. government on the grounds of national security. Because with so much of our economy wrapped up in the oil and coal industry, having those industries going belly up may have been disastrous for our economy. That would have made it a national security issue.

Also, I was watching a television program not too long ago where they were talking about the oldest operating light bulb in the world. It is in some firehouse in the U.S. and has been continually in operation for well over 100 years. According to the program, the owners of all the companies that made light bulbs in the U.S. (maybe the world) got together and agreed to make their light bulbs last only a certain amount of time. Because if their light bulbs lasted a LONG time, they wouldn't make much money selling them. So you could imagine what oil and coal companies might do, if not the government, if such a process was ever patented.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences