Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 07-29-2024, 07:02 PM
Superman's boyhood pal

Music Priest sues gay hookup app Grindr over data leak

Priest sues gay hookup app Grindr over data leak
Priest sues gay hookup app Grindr over data leak | Catholic News Agency

Quote:
A priest is suing the gay dating and “hookup” app Grindr after the company reportedly failed to protect his data, leading to his resignation from a top position at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).

In July 2021, Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill resigned from his post as the general secretary of the USCCB ahead of a report by The Pillar alleging that he had engaged in inappropriate behavior and frequent use of Grindr.

The app advertises itself as “the largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people.” Its geolocation feature is popularly known to facilitate sex hookups between gay men.

The Pillar said its report on Burrill was based on “commercially available records” correlated to the priest’s mobile device. But a lawsuit filed this week claims that Grindr hadn’t taken steps to protect the data from third-party acquisition.

On the one hand Father Burrill is correct about reasonable expectation of privacy.

On the other hand ... :mocking:
Thanks, from:
JoeP (07-30-2024), Kamilah Hauptmann (07-31-2024), LarsMac (07-30-2024), Sock Puppet (07-29-2024), specious_reasons (07-29-2024), Stephen Maturin (07-29-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 06:01 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Default Re: Priest sues gay hookup app Grindr over data leak

"In July 2024, Monsignor Burrill filed a lawsuit against Grindr, alleging that the app’s data collection and sharing practices led to his resignation and harm to his reputation. The lawsuit claims that Burrill would not have used Grindr if he had known that his data could be accessed by outsiders."

Yeah, "I wouldn't have been jacking off on my Couch if I knew the old lady would catch me." says a certain VP candidate
JoeP (07-31-2024), Pete Ross Junior (07-30-2024), Sock Puppet (07-30-2024), Stephen Maturin (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 06:08 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Default Re: Priest sues gay hookup app Grindr over data leak

If this shithead was using Grindr to hook up with adult males, he's a total CINO and should be excommunicated forthwith.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
LarsMac (07-31-2024), Pete Ross Junior (07-30-2024), Sock Puppet (07-30-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law