Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM
It's however you interpret the question...

Location: On A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream
News All Gov Funded Organizations Providing Pro-Choice Options Under Attack

The conservative Live Action group (the same people who scandalized and effectively destroyed ACORN with falsified videos framing them of sex trafficking) is back and, also, with moar fake videos!

Apparently Live Action's pretend pimps and whores have uncovered new (fake) evidence that, gasp, Planned Parenthood is trafficking the same sort of (fake) prostitution as the (fake pretend) prostitution ACORN was trafficking and covered by our fair and balanced friends at FOXNews. I wonder how they'll frame this one?

Just in time for a series of new bills hitting the House floor that would remove any funding AT ALL, no matter what it is used for, and destroy organizations like Planned Parenthood who offer affordable abortions, other women's health services, and STD screening/ treatment to Americans desperately in need of care. On top of that one of these bills will make it so that women who's lives are in risk from child birth will not be allowed the choice of an abortion. If these bills were to pass, three million patients who rely on Planned Parenthood every year would be cut off from basic family care needs and preventive treatments. Effectively women will be barred from having LEGAL abortions if these bills come to pass.

All of this is being lead by Republican Representive Mike Pence of Indiana - who proposes a new bill to end Planned Parenthood programs almost every year - who has apparently decided to ignore Live Action's past frauds:

HuffPo:
Quote:
Two wildly contrasting views of Planned Parenthood have surfaced in recent weeks. The first is that of Representative Mike Pence of Indiana, who sees Planned Parenthood as the personification of darkness and wants to cut off all government aid to this medical provider. The vehicle to do this is H.R. 217, the Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act. The bill would deny community women's health centers the ability to provide vital services like contraception, cancer screenings and breast exams.

It is always strange that many men, particularly religious men, seem to believe they know better than women how women should live. There is great irony in this. It is more than a little disturbing that people who can never experience the reality of an unwanted pregnancy are always telling the woman what she should do. It is easy to take a strict moral position when there is no cost to the person taking it.

As a person who has been a Protestant minister for 50 years, I certainly do not know what is best for a woman facing an unplanned pregnancy. But everything I have learned about religious compassion in this long career says that we should trust the woman to make the decision. Why is it so hard to do that? Entire religious denominations rush to Washington and every state capital to do all they can to keep women, especially poor women, from getting the reproductive health services they need.

A very different view of Planned Parenthood was taken recently by Nicole Hardy, in an article ("Single, Female, Mormon, Alone") in the Jan. 7 New York Times. Unmarried at 35, she had lived by the strict code of the Mormon Church: no sex before marriage. In a society where most couples live together before marriage, she decided to change her life. She went to Planned Parenthood, despite all the bad things it was supposed to represent --condoms and abortions. She was stunned to discover the (her words) "tenderness," "empathy" and "compassion" she found there. She said they treated her body as though it was "sacred." She said she finally understood why so many frightened and misused women had come there.

A good part of my ministry, and that of thousands of other ministers and rabbis, has been spent in helping this embattled agency. Clergy have been doing this since the 1920s. The other clergy can all speak for themselves, but I will tell anyone that I have found more compassion in the affiliates of Planned Parenthood than I have found in many churches.

Representative Pence and his colleagues are dead wrong. Planned Parenthood is the best friend women can have.

:thanked:
Thanks, from:
Anastasia Beaverhausen (02-21-2011), beyelzu (02-17-2011), chunksmediocrites (02-17-2011), Clutch Munny (02-17-2011), Crumb (02-17-2011), Deadlokd (02-19-2011), erimir (02-17-2011), freemonkey (02-18-2011), JoeP (02-19-2011), Kael (02-17-2011), LadyShea (02-17-2011), lisarea (02-17-2011), Naru (02-17-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), Qingdai (02-17-2011), Sauron (02-22-2011), Sock Puppet (02-17-2011), Stephen Maturin (02-17-2011), Stormlight (03-10-2011), The Man (02-17-2011), viscousmemories (02-19-2011), Ymir's blood (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: All Gov Funded Organizations Providing Pro-Choice Options Under Attack

Quote:
A very different view of Planned Parenthood was taken recently by Nicole Hardy, in an article ("Single, Female, Mormon, Alone") in the Jan. 7 New York Times.
A Mormon Woman’s Choices - Modern Love - NYTimes.com

So very definitely worth a read.
Quote:
How unprepared I was to experience tenderness in the place I had been warned so vehemently against. How unprepared for the flood of relief, the bud of hope, after a life devoted to keeping myself separate from my body. Here was a path, an opening; here was empathy.

I would have an IUD instead of children; I would have intellectual and spiritual freedom; I would write poems and finally live inside my body; I would, for the love of God, feel a man’s hands on me before I died.
Thanks, from:
Ari (02-17-2011), freemonkey (02-18-2011), Kael (02-17-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), The Man (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: All Gov Funded Organizations Providing Pro-Choice Options Under Attack

On a related note, South Dakota is trying to legalise killing abortion providers and North Dakota is trying to ban it. There aren't enough fuck yous and rage .gifs in the world.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
erimir (02-17-2011), freemonkey (02-18-2011), Gonzo (02-17-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Tellifying

Quote:
Representative Pence and his colleagues are dead wrong. Planned Parenthood is the best friend women can have.
LOL best friends! Like these guys care about women!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Here's a transcript of an interview with Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards about the bills.

Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (02-17-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), The Man (02-17-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 AM

South Dakota has abandonated its proposed atrocity of a bill, although it's unclear whether this is for good. Probably they're just going to reword it.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

Thanks, from:
Gonzo (02-18-2011), LadyShea (02-18-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Zomygod...the govnmnt is out of manoey and cant pay for everybodies problems any more.....

what to do????
Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 AM

So, who here needs government to pay to end their pregnancy?

...or is it just another slush fund?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM

I don't use this service, therefore it is wasteful government spending. :dopey:

For a political party that champions Christian values, Republicans really do not care about the sick and needy. Must be a capitalist thing.

Thanks, from:
Adam (03-03-2011), freemonkey (02-18-2011), Kael (02-18-2011), lisarea (02-18-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), Stormlight (03-10-2011), The Man (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
Zomygod...the govnmnt is out of manoey and cant pay for everybodies problems any more.....

what to do????
You do realise, I hope, that taxpayer-funded abortions are like. One one-hundredth of one percent of the federal budget. If that. It comes out to like twenty cents of each single person's taxes.

Thanks, from:
freemonkey (02-19-2011), Gonzo (02-18-2011), Naru (02-18-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
the internet says I'm right

Less than that, last calculation I heard was something like 2/10ths of a penny per taxpayer for all federally funded abortions (for a given year, can't remember exactly).

It really is a non-issue, but if you speak against wasteful spending on organizations like PP and you're saving babies, while if you speak against wasteful spending in an area that might actually make an impact, like the defense budget, and you hate America and want the terrorists to win.
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-03-2011), Deadlokd (02-19-2011), freemonkey (02-19-2011), Gonzo (02-18-2011), LadyShea (02-18-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), The Man (02-20-2011), Watser? (02-18-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post

For a political party that champions Christian values, Republicans really do not care about the sick and needy. Must be a capitalist thing.
I am not Republican and you just presented a fallacy.

The government, in fact the nation is out of money, free things can not longer be given.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Are you guys aware that the debt is greater then the entire production of the nation?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

Quote:
the entire production of the nation?
For what period of time?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Quote:
the entire production of the nation?
For what period of time?
An entire year.

If government took all the nation's production for a year, meaning that the people could not eat, the debt could be paid.

We have been giving freebies on credit.

I have no problem with giving from excess, but we are way beyond that, we have been giving with debt. The debt is unsustainable.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 AM

I know you aren't a Republican, Jerome, but you are defending their policies despite that they are based on falsehoods.

This thread's OP isn't about debating abortion rights or welfare programs - it's about Republican bills that would effectively shut down entire health care organizations to deny women legal services over ideological differences using falsehood to frame those organizations in a negative way.

This isn't about government spending as it is being made out to be by Congressmen like Mike Pence.

Thanks, from:
Adam (03-03-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), The Man (04-09-2016)
Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 AM

It is about government spending, and you have been drawn into the false argument of GOP vs Dem ideas.

The same argument is played upon the emotions of the GOP voters.

No longer is it an argument about what we as a society can afford to spend to help those in need, it becomes an emotional reaction to Woman's rights vs Killing babies.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

If it was about government spending wouldn't the republicans be focusing on larger amounts of money spent on less controversial issues? You're completely drinking the GOP kool-aid if you think this has anything to do with the budget.
Adam (03-03-2011), chunksmediocrites (02-19-2011), freemonkey (02-19-2011), Gonzo (02-19-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), Stormlight (03-10-2011), The Man (02-20-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 AM

It's not an emotional argument I'm making. I think leaders need to be called out when the use lies to pass oppressive political agendas. Again, this isn't about government spending or whether women should have the right to abortion. They already have that right. This is about denying them that right based on falsehood.

Thanks, from:
Adam (03-03-2011), chunksmediocrites (02-19-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), The Man (02-20-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
If it was about government spending wouldn't the republicans be focusing on larger amounts of money spent on less controversial issues? You're completely drinking the GOP kool-aid if you think this has anything to do with the budget.
No, because how then would the fake presentation of a two party system work?

Abortion is an emotional issue used to get the proles to take sides, like sports fans.

The two parties are the same party, you might watch Professional Wrestling to see how it works.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
It's not an emotional argument I'm making. I think leaders need to be called out when the use lies to pass oppressive political agendas. Again, this isn't about government spending or whether women should have the right to abortion. They already have that right. This is about denying them that right based on falsehood.
You have presented in your argument that abortion is a right, once this is done, where are we to go?

Do citizens have the right to travel safely? If so, then according to your logic government should provide automobiles to those without the means, airline tickets, and so on.

Having the right to something does not equate to society having the obligation to fund said right.

Your logic would lead us to have government fund a newspaper creation and distribution for each citizen under the right to speech.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Clutchenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
Quote:

I am not Republican
Because you're a lying innumerate halfwitted shitsack, it's an easy mistake to make.
Adam (03-03-2011), Anastasia Beaverhausen (02-21-2011), chunksmediocrites (02-20-2011), Kael (02-19-2011), Naru (02-19-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), Qingdai (02-19-2011), Sock Puppet (02-21-2011), Stormlight (03-10-2011), The Man (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

In other related news:

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/...l-miscarriages

Linking to the blog post partly because she does the yelling I'm too lazy to do, and partly because it points out the definition of 'fetus' includes "zygote, embryo, homunculus, and similar terms." HOMUNCULUS! DON'T FORGET THE FUCKING HOMUNCULUSES!
Thanks, from:
Adam (03-03-2011), chunksmediocrites (02-20-2011), Crumb (02-21-2011), JoeP (02-20-2011), livius drusus (02-20-2011), Nullifidian (02-21-2011), Qingdai (02-20-2011), Stormlight (03-10-2011), The Man (02-20-2011), Watser? (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 AM
the internet says I'm right

Haven't we heard this shit before? I seem to remember some other shitsack pushing for it...
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Yeah, it's not the first time someone's proposed some kind of Miscarriage Investigation branch of government recently, but hells if I can remember where the last one was.

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law