Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Weird Dream(s)

I thought I posted this elsewhere. After lunch in a droning lecture . . . which . . . was in a warm hall . . . I sat on an aisle seat when :ninja: NINJA ATTACKED :freakout:

Yes! Right in the middle of the lecture! Fortunately, I was prepared--I always brought my katana to class, apparently. I grabbed the Lead Ninja by the throat, drew back my fist to send his head into another time-zone AND . . .

. . .

. . . promptly punched myself out of the seat into the aisle. I sheepishly crawled back into my seat and--no I am not making this up--NO ONE noticed. Most were asleep and/or rivetted in some imaginations.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (06-30-2015), Demimonde (11-05-2011), SharonDee (11-05-2011), SR71 (11-05-2011), Stormlight (11-07-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Then my hat goes off to the surgeon that reattached it. There's no scar at all.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM

I am good. . . .

Just . . . be careful when you get up or you might find you do not have a . . . LEG TO STAND ON BWA!HA!HA!Ha!Ha!Ha!ha!ha!haha . . . heh?

--J.D.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM
nominalistic existential pragmaticist

Two nights ago, I dreamed that my dad was dying, and as he died, people and things around the world would disappear. When everyone was gone, he would be dead.

That's got to be something classic in dream interpretation, surely.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-07-2011), Stormlight (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Stoic Derelict... The cup is empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Damn you all. I find dreams fascinating, but for many years I've been unable to remember almost any of mine. (I do remember often lying nearly awake thinking that was weird, better write it down before I forget but being unable to summon up enough wakefulness to actually do it.)

All I can do is point out that this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viscousmemories
I was at some kind of paramilitary compound with Dr. House, but I can't remember what we were doing there. Anyway we wandered into a tall office building and I told him a joke before we got on the elevator. He smirked, which I saw as a great accomplishment.
clearly means you're gay for Huge L.
Same here. Is it possible to will yourself to dream? Is there anyone who is able to say to themselves, I'm gonna have a doozy of a dream tonight and then it happens, and remember it on waking?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:26 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

All people dream, even if they don't remember it later. What you are suggesting is real and is called lucid dreaming. I do it all the time. Quite often lucid dreaming is most possible when you first fall asleep, (though often people don't remember those dreams) or if you wake and go back to sleep. As a light sleeper I do that several times a night anyway. The trade off for me is sleep paralysis which suuuuuuuucks.
Adam (11-07-2011), Ari (11-07-2011), Doctor X (11-06-2011), JoeP (11-06-2011), Nullifidian (11-07-2011), SR71 (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 AM
A fellow sophisticate

The way I remember more of my dreams is to write down a few details about the dream upon waking. I find it doesn't take much of a note to remember a dream. I think taking melatonin has made me dream more vivid dreams.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
I thought I posted this elsewhere. After lunch in a droning lecture . . . which . . . was in a warm hall . . . I sat on an aisle seat when :ninja: NINJA ATTACKED :freakout:

Yes! Right in the middle of the lecture! Fortunately, I was prepared--I always brought my katana to class, apparently. I grabbed the Lead Ninja by the throat, drew back my fist to send his head into another time-zone AND . . .

. . .

. . . promptly punched myself out of the seat into the aisle. I sheepishly crawled back into my seat and--no I am not making this up--NO ONE noticed. Most were asleep and/or rivetted in some imaginations.

--J.D.
His dream was a subconscious call for attention, which, sadly, went unnoticed. Another... pass. :zoidberg:
Doctor X (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
All people dream, even if they don't remember it later. What you are suggesting is real and is called lucid dreaming. I do it all the time. Quite often lucid dreaming is most possible when you first fall asleep, (though often people don't remember those dreams) or if you wake and go back to sleep. As a light sleeper I do that several times a night anyway. The trade off for me is sleep paralysis which suuuuuuuucks.
So that's what this lucid dreaming stuff is. I never heard of it until that nut that shot Gabby Giffords. I do that a lot, to get to sleep. Oddly, it involves flying, first controlling an airplane from the ground, and then switching to being the airplane. I never considered it dreaming, just imagining. Other than that, I can not remember the dreams, the kind where you wake up and remember. Not even an awareness that any dream took place at all.
Demimonde (11-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
The way I remember more of my dreams is to write down a few details about the dream upon waking. I find it doesn't take much of a note to remember a dream. I think taking melatonin has made me dream more vivid dreams.
I have nothing to write down. Zip, zilch, nada, no pommes frittes.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

How many hours of sleep do you get each night SR? Do you have insomnia or frequent waking during the night? How regular is your sleep schedule?

Also, I have a question for :ff:ers. Do you ever experience dreams as another person other than yourself? Or dream in the third person, where you act as an observer?

I often have dreams where "I" am not really present. Sometimes this is when "I" become another person, different age, sex, background, species etc. In those dreams I am experiencing things as that person even though it isn't me. My personality can be completely different, emotions change, though in the dream I never really question these changes.

Other times I have dreams where there is no self at all. I am an observer who watches actions unfold like a play. Sometimes this is like a film strip that will lead to action I am a part of. Other times it is just kinda disorienting, like eaves dropping. Though, I don't remember ever dreaming in this way about people in my life and many times it is clearly fantasy. Actually, it is pretty rare that I have dreams about RL or people I know.

I wonder about this and how common it is. I don't really have a very strong ego and in personality fall into a more negative aspect. How much of a freak am I?
Adam (11-07-2011), SR71 (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
How much of a freak am I?
:sadno:

--J.D.

P.S.
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

. . .

--J.D.
His dream was a subconscious call for attention, which, sadly, went unnoticed. Another... pass. :zoidberg:
The phrase you're looking for is "Another failure. Another in a long, sad line of failures."

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-07-2011), SR71 (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Quote:
Also, I have a question for :ff:ers. Do you ever experience dreams as another person other than yourself? Or dream in the third person, where you act as an observer?
Yes. Sometimes I am in a dream but not one of the main characters in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde
How much of a freak am I?
That, I cannot answer.
Demimonde (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
How many hours of sleep do you get each night SR? Do you have insomnia or frequent waking during the night? How regular is your sleep schedule?
I'd guess between five and seven normally, sort of insomnia, it usually takes upwards of an hour after retiring to knock out. The imaging/lucid thing has helped, I just started doing it in the last several years. If I don't do it, various random thoughts prevent sleep. Once asleep, stay asleep. Wake up spontaneously, no alarm. Schedule varies, on call job, depends on highly variable work load. Sometimes it's maximum crazy, like extended no-sleep marathons.
Quote:
No always first person, though I can only remember maybe 6 or 8 dreams ever.
Quote:
I often have dreams where "I" am not really present. Sometimes this is when "I" become another person, different age, sex, background, species etc. In those dreams I am experiencing things as that person even though it isn't me. My personality can be completely different, emotions change, though in the dream I never really question these changes.

Other times I have dreams where there is no self at all. I am an observer who watches actions unfold like a play. Sometimes this is like a film strip that will lead to action I am a part of. Other times it is just kinda disorienting, like eaves dropping. Though, I don't remember ever dreaming in this way about people in my life and many times it is clearly fantasy. Actually, it is pretty rare that I have dreams about RL or people I know.

I wonder about this and how common it is. I don't really have a very strong ego and in personality fall into a more negative aspect. How much of a freak am I?
So far as I can tell, you are p. cool, for whatever that is worth.

@ Dingfod, I may try some melatonin.
Demimonde (11-07-2011), Dingfod (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Forum Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfod View Post
I have nothing to write down. Zip, zilch, nada, no pommes frittes.
I, too.

I often do imagining like this as well to get to sleep too. It's indeed distinct from sleeping I think -- I can instantly go from this to fully awake, and the dreams I do remember have nothing to do with the scenarios therein...

The only dreams I've remembered lately were when I'd injured my back and ribs in a fall and needed painkillers to sleep. (Since recovered completely, happily.) Oddly, drugs and painkillers that are supposed to do that, usually don't -- it may be more related to the injury/sickness than the drug.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
You total weirdo! :susp:

Just kidding. I have dreams like that all the time. I've had dreams where I was a person of a different race, in a different historical era (and not present as myself), and even had dreams where I was a jaguar, a minotaur, and a centaur.

I also have dreams where I'm just an observer with no physical presence and just watching events unfold. Most recently, I dreamt that I was at a performance of an opera based on The Iliad. The unusual thing is that it was set entirely at an airport: on the tarmac, in the lounge, etc. At one point a character was pulled on stage while standing up in the back of a baggage cart. And it actually worked dramatically. If I ever direct Berlioz's opera Les Troyens, I'm definitely putting this idea into practice. :ffnod:
Thanks, from:
SR71 (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Freqy, man. I want what you have. Thanks for giving up the dream! :yup:
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM
California Sober

I dreamed I was in training in some kind of police/para-military organization and they were about to issue us these rad, vintage-looking little motorcycles. I was a little nervous because I don't know how to drive a motorcycle, but I was mostly worried about the fact that I don't have a motorcycle license. I was thinking maybe we don't need one because we're cops, but it felt like a stupid question so I didn't want to ask.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Coffin Creep

Did you get goggles and a stahl helm? or a leather hat and a fake mustache?
Adam (02-18-2013), curses (02-17-2013), Ensign Steve (02-17-2013), Janet (02-20-2013), Watser? (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I had a dream that one of my toenails had split down the middle and was peeling off... Along with the quick and surrounding skin a millimeter or two thick... Basically, the whole top of the toe.

But underneath was another toenail and such, so I guess it was alright.
Thanks, from:
Stormlight (02-20-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Going to work in a dream this morning, it was extremely overcast out. I was in my car at first, but then when I turned around to look up at the sky I was outside and probably running down the road I had been driving along, or my legs maybe were now bicycle wheels. I don't know because I didn't look down -- I was still traveling as fast as I had been in the car but my attention was on the sky, the clouds were vividly three-dimensional with immense depth and detail, layers upon layers. They were all moving very fast, then extremely fast knots of long black thunder clouds were breaking free and whipping over my head, blowing hundreds of miles an hour. Then they came down to the ground and made the outside almost dark, dusklike, and the air became very damp and clammy, like the barrow-downs but with no fear. I got to work just before it started raining and went into the bathroom. Someone was screaming in pain, then a kid with short blond hair and a very square head threw himself out of the stall - he had milk spraying out of his eyes and his arms did not seem to be working. Somehow I knew that trying to help him would only make him worse.

There was a lot more to this dream that wasn't as surreal, but I can't remember any of it now.

Thanks, from:
lisarea (03-09-2013), Stormlight (02-20-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

OMG. So I was going to tell this to you guys first thing, but then I had to fight with Bort first (we have become enemies ever since that Oreo thing), so I almost forgot!

So last night, I fell asleep on the couch, sitting up with the TV on because I haven't been sleeping much and I am very tired. And when I fall asleep like that, I usually stay pretty aware of where I am and such.

So I did. Except I am sitting on the couch, asleep with the TV on, and my sister is there and I have to get up to make her some hot dogs and popcorn. So I get up, and I go out into the garage to get something, and then I get all distracted because the garage is really big and has all these different work areas, including a really awesome little workshop I have set up in the southeast corner, and I am fiddling around with something, and it occurs to me, "Wait. This is not my real life garage, it's just what my garage is like when I am sleeping! Fuck! I got to get up and make my sister some hot dogs and popcorn!"

So I get up and go into the garage to get some shit to make my sister some hot dogs and popcorn, and I run into my brother, who is in his section of my gigantic fantastic garage, and we're talking about how we can move this one car we have on blocks so as to make room to drive this wood paneled station wagon that I think we stole into the back, and I'm like, "Fuck. Dream garage again. Got to actually wake up now to make my sister some hot dogs and popcorn."

I think it happened like three + times, but by the time I actually for real woke up, it had started getting muddy.

I do regularly recognize places from my dreams so that I know I'm actually asleep just because of the way things are set up, but this is the first time I ever remember having one of those recursive dreams where I keep waking up and then realize I'm still asleep. It was pretty cool and a little bit scary!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make my sister some hot dogs and popcorn.
Thanks, from:
Ari (03-09-2013), BrotherMan (03-09-2013), Crumb (03-09-2013), Ensign Steve (03-11-2013), Janet (03-09-2013), Kyuss Apollo (04-14-2013), Sock Puppet (03-15-2013), SR71 (03-09-2013), Watser? (03-10-2013), wei yau (03-10-2013), Ymir's blood (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Poll Re: Weird Dream(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
OMG. So I was going to tell this to you guys first thing, but then I had to fight with Bort first (we have become enemies ever since that Oreo thing), so I almost forgot!
Don't be so jellli just because I thought of the superior way to eat Oreos before you did.

Also, I'm going to tell you all about a dream I had a long time back. But first I have to tell you all something else first. A number of many months ago my mom's mom passed away after a few years of declining health. I'm not close to extended family, so you know, so this dream I had was out of nowhere.

It was earlier this year when I had this dream about Gram. Though it's kind of weird because she wasn't in it, but it took place in her house. But of course, being a dream land, it wasn't any house of hers that I'd ever been in. It was just her house, you know.

There were three different aspects to the dream. First was a collage of pictures on a wall. I remember looking at the wall and seeing a picture of my sister. A few frames away from this picture of my sister was a picture of Gram's mother or maybe Gram's Gram - I don't remember. The curious part was Gram's Gram and my sister looked exactly the same (for whatever age they were in these pictures).

Another part of the dream was just outside the house, in a sort of open green house like place. Gram had this really neat garden area. It wasn't one of those super manicured gardens, but what I called in my head a very British garden. (With apologies to Brits for my bigotedness towards them.) It was sort of kempt and not so organized, but it was still nice and it was obvious that she loved it as a place. And also, my favorite part of all was the water reclamation and irrigation system she had cobbled together.

I told my mom that I had a dream about Gram and she was a little jealous because she's been praying to have a dream about her mom and here I go without even trying. That made me sad, though.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (03-09-2013), Watser? (03-10-2013), wei yau (03-10-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I seem to be losing control of my sleep disorder. I hope it might just be a cyclical thing, but I am concerned. For the past week I have both been buying into my delusions much more and moving around more. So far I haven't actually gotten out of bed and wandered around the house like in the past, but I've moved around a lot within it and come to in some pretty weird positions. I hope I haven't built up a resistance to my white noise and utter blackness combo. That would be a problem.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
lisarea (03-09-2013), Ymir's blood (03-09-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium