Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > History & Geography

Old 02-13-2005, 11:15 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Roman Holiday

I PMd livius about this, but I will post it as well to A) Increase the thread count (egyptian cotton anyone?) and B) Benefit all.

So, Frankie was going over our estimated profit-on-house-sale and necessary expenses for move (down payment on new house and associated costs, boat, dock), we added 20K for adoption, some amount in investments and still have enough leftover for a nice vacation. Frankie wants to go to Rome.

So, where do we stay, what are must sees (we will probably have a week), do many/most people speak English or do we need an interpreter, should we take any side trips or split the week up between two or more cities?

ETA: We will prolly be going in the Fall, maybe October, if this makes any difference.

Last edited by LadyShea; 02-13-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Re: Roman Holiday

Oh good idea! I'll post all the info I'm collecting asap.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:40 AM

Oh and livius, as you probably surmised, some stuff I want to see is a given...The Colosseum and such.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Yes ma'am. I've got the walking iternary half done thanks to a post I once made on II, but that was for a one day thing, and you've got way more time than that (thankfully).

Oh, one thing that's important to know. What kind of level of sleeping accomodations were y'all thinking of? Hotel, B&B?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus

Oh, one thing that's important to know. What kind of level of sleeping accomodations were y'all thinking of? Hotel, B&B?
Um, cheap but easy access to city center either via walking or public transport (are the subways and buses safe and convenient?)

My initial research shows some tourist apartments downtown that seem cheaper than hotels, around 95 Euros. I don't want to spend more that that and would prefer to spend less.

Basically, we are never at our hotel when we travel, we need a bed and a place to shower that's acceptably clean.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:02 PM
SuperBeast

I highly recommend the Vatican Museums. They have some of the most awesome art that I have seen. The architecture of the museums themselves is spectacular.

Here is a link if you want to check them out:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Musei.html
Old 02-14-2005, 03:05 PM

Thanks ex-zombie! Definitely on my list!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:15 PM
SuperBeast

Another place I highly recommend is the Borghese Gallery. The statues are incredible. Here's a link to check them out:

http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm
Old 02-14-2005, 03:18 PM

The Catacombes
Old 02-14-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
My initial research shows some tourist apartments downtown that seem cheaper than hotels, around 95 Euros. I don't want to spend more that that and would prefer to spend less.
That's a pretty good deal, Shea. If the dollar were stronger you'd be on easy street. The thing is that hostels are repulsive, B&Bs often have annoying curfew rules and shared bathrooms which you really don't want to mess with, and you're really not going to find a hotel -- even a really crappy one -- which will cost you less than 95 Euros a night.

I say go for it. What exact locations are we talking about? Downtown can cover a lot of ground in Rome; you want to be sure it's really where you want to be.

I second Ex-zombie's museum recommendations. You can spend days in the Vatican alone. Villa Borghese is a great suggestion, and in the same neighborhood is the smaller, but truly lovely Villa Julia which among other things, houses the National Etruscan Museum.

I also second Shaguar's catacombs recommendation, particularly San Sebastiano and Cecilia Metella, both of which are just across the street from one of my favorite restaurants ever in the whole wide world, Cecilia Metella, and right smack in the middle of the Appia Antica, a road lined with ancient Roman tombs. Best. Picnic. Ever.

Would y'all consider renting a car? I wouldn't recommend you try to hit Venice because it would seriously dilute your visit, but there are some great off the beaten path things to do and see in the hills outside of Rome.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:53 PM

Hey livius, the apartment I found describes its location thusly
Quote:
Via Del Corso, a very central zone, 2 minutes by foot from Piazza del Popolo, Fontana di Trevi and Piazza Spagna. This studio is ideal for 2 people.
Is that pretty central?

We might consider renting a car, what is it like to drive there? My dad tells me horror stories of driving in places like Sao Paulo, Brazil, but Rome is only about the size of Las Vegas (permanent resident population wise).

Dunno if this map will work or not
Old 02-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Oh yeah that's central all right. It's pretty much the ideal central, in fact. I say snap it up right quick.

Driving in the city is a horrible, horrible bitch. It's immensely crowded, and with few exceptions, Roman streets are not exactly made with cars in mind. The main problem is figuring out how to get places just looking at maps because you never know which roads are going to be blocked off or one way or something. Besides, if you're on Via del Corso, you'll totally be walking and using the metro/bus system for anything in Rome itself.

Once you get out of the historic center, however, it's pretty much your standard bad, fast driving. Nothing you haven't handled before, I'm sure. I think it would be worth it to rent a car for just one or two days so you can wander out of the city a little.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Person

Buy this book, LadyShea.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Coffin Creep

Do the streets of Rome still follow the ones laid out in the Republican times or are have they been redone? I'm sure they've bee resurfaced, of course.

It's always been an interesting fact, to me at least, that the Romans were the first to use asphalt.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the book suggestion Gurdur :).
Old 02-23-2005, 05:46 AM

Yes! You're going to Rome. That makes me so happy. I've been to all of the places suggested above and more, lots more. I've been visiting Rome for 22 years and there's still something new I haven't seen yet and I never tire of seeing the old ones again(well maybe not...visiting 1,000 cathedrals kind of turned me off them)

A sizeable fraction of Italians have good English skills and more have reasonable english so you can get around the city with little difficulty. Just be prepared for people giving you contradictory directions and lots of gesturing and excitement ;)

Honestly I have no idea where to start except offer practical advice. Walk walk walk and use buses. You don't really need to use the metro. No cars at all for inside the city definitely, to be frank, Frank probably won't be able to handle the traffic there, no offense. Romans are INSANE drivers and they don't really follow traffic regulations either. Do feel free to rent a car for visiting the surrounding country which is full of interesting ruins and antiques. You might want to drive down Via Appia, it still exists and you'll see tombs along it including a particularly interesting large, round domed tomb of an empress.

Also the estate of D'Este isn't too far from Rome as well Hadrian's Villa. D'Este is renowed for its water fountains and gardens, plus the vistas from the estate which is perched on top of a large hill is stunning.

Walking is required to see anything of the city. Also eat eat eat plenty, splurge on the food there! Since you'll be going in October, you'll miss the tourist crunch and summertime heat waves so you'll have a much easier time getting to see places you want to.

You could go and visit each of the 7 hills in turn, the views from them are quite nice, especially at dusk. Rome is simply gorgeous in the setting sun light, it almost looks like a city in heaven.

Sorry if I seem a bit giddy, I always get excited when somebody goes to Italy and I love to tell them about it. I'm going there in May for possibly two months, three years' been way too long since I've been back there.

Ymir's blood,

Many of the roads and the main roads are still in the same pattern as when they were first laid over two millennia ago but there's been extensive redesign and renovation since then so only parts of Rome still have the original layout, the rest is buried under comparatively(beginning in late Renaissance till today) recent development and modernized roads.

Last edited by cappuccino; 02-23-2005 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 PM

I second Villa d'Este. Besides the enchanting grounds and fountains and waterfalls you can walk behind, that particular area is known for its traditional cookies made in the shape of three-titted women. My uncle the Congregationalist minister thought they were so hilarious he shipped about 2 dozen of them back home as gifts for his reverend colleagues. :D
Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 PM

This is so awesome, thanks for the info (and the enthusiasm, I love it!)
Old 02-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Adequately Crumbulent

* Crumb now wants to go to Rome.

:qsigh:

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > History & Geography