Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
No, they are not the same photons.
Then you have incorrectly answered our questions. I asked you quite specifically about the photons which are at the retina at 12:00, and you told me they came from the Sun and were also located at the Sun at 12:00.
LadyShea (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
What do you mean "where did the photons come from"? They came from the Sun. If I see an object, that MEANS the photons (or the mirror image which does not mean photons in two places at the same time) are already at the retina because there's no time lapse.

Regarding the photons present at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited, did they come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

YES, but again the Sun won't be seen the very moment it is turned on unless it is so bright that would be within our visual range. If not, it would take time for this substance to be seen, but this has nothing to do with this same light having to travel to Earth first.

Were they ever located at the Sun? [Yes or No]

YES

If so, when were they located at the Sun? [State a time relative to the moment of ignition of the Sun]

12:00
Thank you for finally answering my questions. You are now saying that at 12:00 when the newly ignited Sun is first ignited, there will be photons present at the retina on Earth which came from the Sun, and were located at the Sun at the exact same time of 12:00. That means you have these photons at two places at once. At 12:00 they are located both at the retina and at the Sun. That is what you have just told me. Yet this directly contradicts your above claim that photons will not be in two places at the same time. Can you resolve this contradiction?
No Spacemonkey. I did not say that photons will be at the retina on Earth at the same time the Sun is first ignited. The properties of light do not change. The only thing that changes is the wavelength/frequency after the non-absorbed light has dispersed and there are no more photons at the retina because the object is too far away to be seen.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Regarding the photons present at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited, did they come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

YES, but again the Sun won't be seen the very moment it is turned on unless it is so bright that would be within our visual range. If not, it would take time for this substance to be seen, but this has nothing to do with this same light having to travel to Earth first.

YES

If so, when were they located at the Sun? [State a time relative to the moment of ignition of the Sun]

12:00
You are back to photons being two places at once. On the Sun and on the retina both at noon.

Those are two different locations no matter what direction we see.
No, they are not the same photons. They are traveling, but as they strike the object some get absorbed and some don't.
The object is the Sun, and in this scenario it is the only source of any photons anywhere, there are no photons being absorbed or not absorbed or striking objects at all. They are being newly emitted by the newly ignited Sun at noon. The retina is 93 million miles away at noon. There are no photons on Earth until 12:08. Where did the photons at the retina originate if not the Sun and how can they be on the retina if they haven't traveled there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
So I don't know where you are imagining that I am saying that the photons are in two different places at the same time.
The Sun and the retina are two locations. There are photons being emitted by the Sun and it is the only source of photons in this scenario. If the photons at the retina came from the Sun, and are there instantly, then they must be the same photons.

If they are not the same photons, where did the photons at the retina originate and how did they get to the retina?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Is that an accurate description of what you think is the case?
L.O.L. I just watched the end of an episode of Ozie and Harriet, where no-one could understand the other person. :yup:
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
No Spacemonkey. I did not say that photons will be at the retina on Earth at the same time the Sun is first ignited.
You said that the photons which are at the retina when the Sun is first ignited were located at the Sun at 12:00. Did you forget that the time at which the Sun is first ignited was 12:00? Can you answer these questions again while keeping that in mind?

Did the photons which are at the retina (at 12:00 when the Sun is first ignited) come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

If not, where did they come from? [State a physical object or location]
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Either Peacegirl really doesn't understand what we are asking, or she is a really slipprey 'Snake Oil' salesman.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
No Spacemonkey. I did not say that photons will be at the retina on Earth at the same time the Sun is first ignited. The properties of light do not change. The only thing that changes is the wavelength/frequency after the non-absorbed light has dispersed and there are no more photons at the retina because the object is too far away to be seen.
Now this is an extraordinary example of how disconected Peacegirl's mind is from what is going on in the world. She has conviently transposed location into dispersion without really understanding the meaning of either. I would guess that it is soon time for a mental 'reset' for Peacegirl.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM

Another touching video. Pull out your kleenex.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=2&theater

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The retina is a location and the Sun is a location. If the Sun is newly turned on at noon, and the photons are on the retina at noon as well as being emitted by the Sun at noon, that means light is in two places at the same time.
Quote:
No it does not. It means the photons are at the retina
Are the photons also at the Sun or en route to Earth?

If yes, then you have the same photons at two locations
If no then you have photons teleporting to retinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Then why did you say "No it does not" when my point absolutely stands?
Quote:
No it does not stand. Light energy is constantly traveling so how can photons be at two places at the same time?
Because you have stated they are located at the retina and also at the Sun at noon

Quote:
Quote:
I did not say "no it does not" when the conditions are favorable. What are you talking about LadyShea, and why are you trying, as koan does, to implicate me on things that have no bearing on this discussion?
Quote:
What are you talking about with favorable conditions? We are using Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon, and being able to see the Sun at noon when no photons, at all, are on Earth..again according to his very own scenario. These "conditions" are very clearly stated in the quoted posts above.

You have stated that photons will physically interact with retinas and camera film under these conditions at noon.
Only if the Sun is so bright that we are able to see this star when it's first turned on.
According to Lessans scenario, this is the case. He sated we will see the Sun at noon.

Where all are photons located at noon in that scenario?

Quote:
Quote:
That means you have photons located 1. on the Sun, and 2. on camera film or retinas, at noon. That's two different locations (count them) at the same time(noon).
No it doesn't.
Yes, it does. Unless you are not saying photons are on the retina, or you are not saying that photons are not beginning to be emitted by the Sun at noon
Quote:
You are looking at the photons traveling to Earth before we can see the Sun (the afferent perspective)
No I am not talking about seeing at all.

I am only asking you to clarify where photons are physically located, at noon, in Lessans scenario. Which you know what I am asking and are choosing to act dense as a way to weasel.
You are so confused as to what efferent vision allows that you think you are right in your condemnation. But you are not right, and for you to act as if you do is a total sham LadyShea. Just admit that you aren't sure, and that would be a great leap toward deciphering what is actually true from what is THOUGHT to be true.
I am sure you are copping out with your weaseling. Answer the questions, that will help decipher the efferent account, which you currently have as something from Wonderland.

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time.

Are there photons located on retinas at 12:00:00? If yes, where did they come from? How did they get there?
Are there photons located on the Sun just being emitted at 12:00:00?
I didn't come back to get into this again. Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model.
Then light has completely different properties in the efferent model. Why do you keep denying that this is the case?
Sorry, but light does not have completely different properties in the efferent model. Light energy travels; photons travel. The only thing that has changed is the direction we see.
Then why did you say " Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model"?

The ability to physically interact with matter at a physical distance is not a property that light has.

Quote:
If it is true that the brain looks through the eyes, as a window to the world, that is what allows light to be at the retina even though light hasn't reached Earth yet.
Interacting with matter at a physical distance is an unknown property of light. Sorry that's just a fact. If you can explain how this occurs without positing new properties of light or impossibilities, then do so, if you are just going to keep making assertions you can't support, what's the point of your "coming back"?
There is no physical distance in this account. It's not like shaking hands across the internet.
According to the laws of physics there is physical distance and it is exactly like shaking hands across the Internet. So, you need new laws of physics for your model to work as well as new properties of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegir
That's what I'm trying to tell you. But you can't see this because you are thinking in terms of light instead of the eyes.
I am asking about light, it's locations and properties, in your model, based on statements about the locations and properties of light you've made.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl[quote=peacegirl
Light is a condition of sight; it does not cause sight. It allows the object to be seen in real time; it does not travel through space/time without the event or object present in some form.
Quote:
In this scenario the object is the Sun, and it is present.

And light does travel through space and time. That is a known and empirically observable property of light.

So, please admit that for efferent vision to be true, light must have completely different properties than it is known and observed to have.
Quote:
No, I won't admit that because light does not have to have completely different properties. None whatsoever.
Quote:
This statement contradicts previous statements. So you are contradicting yourself.
The only difference is that non-absorbed light, as opposed to absorbed light, does not get reflected and travel through space time.
So you were totally mistaken when you said "light does not have to have completely different properties. None whatsoever." because it obviously does.
Quote:
The physics of light remains the same.
Um no. Because in light physics all light travels through space and time and light does get reflected if it is not absorbed or transmitted.

Your statements are completely contrary to the properties of light

Quote:
Quote:
Light travels through space and time unless/until it is absorbed by matter it encounters. The emitting or reflecting object has nothing to do with this property of light.
Yes it does.
Not unless you are requiring light have different properties than it is known to have.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, you ignored the question:

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time.
Quote:
Just like seeing a Supernova, if the Sun is large enough and bright enough when it first turned on (again, if it is not bright enough it will take time for us to see it; but this is not the same thing as seeing the Sun after the photons reach Earth) we will see it in real time because the conditions that are required for sight have been met, although the light being emitted from the Sun won't reach Earth for 8 minutes during which time we will be able to see each other.
Quote:
You ignored the question again.

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time
I already answered this. The photons would be at the eye when the Sun is just turned on at noon if there was a strong ignition. If it was ignited but grew in size, then we would not see it instantly. Lessans was trying to make a distinction between seeing the sun according to the requirements of efferent vision, and seeing the Sun only after the photons traveled for 8 minutes and reached Earth.
Lessans said nothing about "strong ignition" or growing in size.

Lessans scenario stated if the Sun, as we know it to be, was newly turned on at noon by God, we would see the Sun at noon. Quit mealy mouthing and weasling.

Is your answer that at noon, light photons are located at the newly turned on Sun and at the retina? If yes, that is two places at the same time.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Another touching video. Pull out your kleenex.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=2&theater

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit, or distract them with something totally irrelevant.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM
cold, heartless bitch

You just had to come back because I was wrong?
Oh, I guess you're screwed then.

If you ever try to leave this thread you'll be stuck knowing that one of us will write the thread summary explaining how wrong Lessans is based on all the accumulated knowledge and scientific advancement since he wrote his book. How will you deal with the knowledge that someone got the last word and might have made you look bad? Can you deal with it? Could you walk away knowing that one of us "out there" probably made you look nuts? That's what'll happen. It's inevitable because we've already shown that you're nuts. How can you leave until you prove us wrong?

It's a dilemma. I know how to solve it but I won't tell you because you're so mean to me.

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-05-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No Spacemonkey. I did not say that photons will be at the retina on Earth at the same time the Sun is first ignited.
You said that the photons which are at the retina when the Sun is first ignited were located at the Sun at 12:00. Did you forget that the time at which the Sun is first ignited was 12:00? Can you answer these questions again while keeping that in mind?

Did the photons which are at the retina (at 12:00 when the Sun is first ignited) come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

No Spacemonkey, there is no teleportation. This is not magic.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
You just had to come back because I was wrong?
Oh, I guess you're screwed then.

If you ever try to leave this thread you'll be stuck knowing that one of us will write the thread summary explaining how wrong Lessans is based on all the accumulated knowledge and scientific advancement since he wrote his book. How will you deal with the knowledge that someone got the last word and might have made you look bad? Can you deal with it? Could you walk away knowing that one of us "out there" probably made you look nuts? That's what'll happen. It's inevitable because we've already shown that you're nuts. How can you leave until you prove us wrong?

It's a dilemma. I know how to solve it but I won't tell you because you're so mean to me.
Oh be quiet koan. You didn't even respond to the post or the explanation I gave you because it made sense. You don't like that it made sense. You want to be right at all costs because you want Lessans to be wrong. You are a terrible reader because you have not understood a word he said. You don't even know what the discovery is. If I feel like responding to misinterpretations of this book, I will continue to do so, and you can do nothing about it. Think what you want about me, I could care less. You don't get to generalize your thoughts about me to everyone. This is your only validation, but it doesn't work because you don't know what other people think. Far from it. You are a wannabe shrink, and you're failing miserably. You don't know the first thing about psychoanalysis; you're speaking total psychobabble. :giggle: :laugh:

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The retina is a location and the Sun is a location. If the Sun is newly turned on at noon, and the photons are on the retina at noon as well as being emitted by the Sun at noon, that means light is in two places at the same time.
Quote:
No it does not. It means the photons are at the retina
Are the photons also at the Sun or en route to Earth?

If yes, then you have the same photons at two locations
If no then you have photons teleporting to retinas

Quote:
Then why did you say "No it does not" when my point absolutely stands?
Quote:
No it does not stand. Light energy is constantly traveling so how can photons be at two places at the same time?
Because you have stated they are located at the retina and also at the Sun at noon

Quote:
Quote:
I did not say "no it does not" when the conditions are favorable. What are you talking about LadyShea, and why are you trying, as koan does, to implicate me on things that have no bearing on this discussion?
Quote:
What are you talking about with favorable conditions? We are using Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon, and being able to see the Sun at noon when no photons, at all, are on Earth..again according to his very own scenario. These "conditions" are very clearly stated in the quoted posts above.

You have stated that photons will physically interact with retinas and camera film under these conditions at noon.
Only if the Sun is so bright that we are able to see this star when it's first turned on.
According to Lessans scenario, this is the case. He sated we will see the Sun at noon.

Where all are photons located at noon in that scenario?

Quote:
Quote:
That means you have photons located 1. on the Sun, and 2. on camera film or retinas, at noon. That's two different locations (count them) at the same time(noon).
No it doesn't.
Yes, it does. Unless you are not saying photons are on the retina, or you are not saying that photons are not beginning to be emitted by the Sun at noon
Quote:
You are looking at the photons traveling to Earth before we can see the Sun (the afferent perspective)
No I am not talking about seeing at all.

I am only asking you to clarify where photons are physically located, at noon, in Lessans scenario. Which you know what I am asking and are choosing to act dense as a way to weasel.
You are so confused as to what efferent vision allows that you think you are right in your condemnation. But you are not right, and for you to act as if you do is a total sham LadyShea. Just admit that you aren't sure, and that would be a great leap toward deciphering what is actually true from what is THOUGHT to be true.
I am sure you are copping out with your weaseling. Answer the questions, that will help decipher the efferent account, which you currently have as something from Wonderland.

Are there photons located on retinas at 12:00:00? If yes, where did they come from? How did they get there?
Are there photons located on the Sun just being emitted at 12:00:00?
I didn't come back to get into this again. Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model.
Then light has completely different properties in the efferent model. Why do you keep denying that this is the case?
Sorry, but light does not have completely different properties in the efferent model. Light energy travels; photons travel. The only thing that has changed is the direction we see.
Then why did you say " Light does not have to travel to Earth for light to interact with the retina in the efferent model"?

The ability to physically interact with matter at a physical distance is not a property that light has.

Quote:
If it is true that the brain looks through the eyes, as a window to the world, that is what allows light to be at the retina even though light hasn't reached Earth yet.
Interacting with matter at a physical distance is an unknown property of light. Sorry that's just a fact. If you can explain how this occurs without positing new properties of light or impossibilities, then do so, if you are just going to keep making assertions you can't support, what's the point of your "coming back"?
There is no physical distance in this account. It's not like shaking hands across the internet.
According to the laws of physics there is physical distance and it is exactly like shaking hands across the Internet. So, you need new laws of physics for your model to work as well as new properties of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegir
That's what I'm trying to tell you. But you can't see this because you are thinking in terms of light instead of the eyes.
I am asking about light, it's locations and properties, in your model, based on statements about the locations and properties of light you've made.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl[quote=peacegirl
Light is a condition of sight; it does not cause sight. It allows the object to be seen in real time; it does not travel through space/time without the event or object present in some form.
Quote:
In this scenario the object is the Sun, and it is present.

And light does travel through space and time. That is a known and empirically observable property of light.

So, please admit that for efferent vision to be true, light must have completely different properties than it is known and observed to have.
Quote:
No, I won't admit that because light does not have to have completely different properties. None whatsoever.
Quote:
This statement contradicts previous statements. So you are contradicting yourself.
The only difference is that non-absorbed light, as opposed to absorbed light, does not get reflected and travel through space time.
So you were totally mistaken when you said "light does not have to have completely different properties. None whatsoever." because it obviously does.
Quote:
The physics of light remains the same.
Um no. Because in light physics all light travels through space and time and light does get reflected if it is not absorbed or transmitted.

Your statements are completely contrary to the properties of light

Quote:
Quote:
Light travels through space and time unless/until it is absorbed by matter it encounters. The emitting or reflecting object has nothing to do with this property of light.
Yes it does.
Not unless you are requiring light have different properties than it is known to have.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, you ignored the question:

Quote:
Just like seeing a Supernova, if the Sun is large enough and bright enough when it first turned on (again, if it is not bright enough it will take time for us to see it; but this is not the same thing as seeing the Sun after the photons reach Earth) we will see it in real time because the conditions that are required for sight have been met, although the light being emitted from the Sun won't reach Earth for 8 minutes during which time we will be able to see each other.
Quote:
You ignored the question again.

Name all the locations of light photons at noon in Lessans scenario of the Sun being turned on at noon and being able to see the Sun at noon. In case you missed it, the time is one time 12:00:00. According to Lessans the Sun was just ignited, and it can be seen at this time
I already answered this. The photons would be at the eye when the Sun is just turned on at noon if there was a strong ignition. If it was ignited but grew in size, then we would not see it instantly. Lessans was trying to make a distinction between seeing the sun according to the requirements of efferent vision, and seeing the Sun only after the photons traveled for 8 minutes and reached Earth.

Lessans scenario stated if the Sun, as we know it to be, was newly turned on at noon by God, we would see the Sun at noon. Quit mealy mouthing and weasling.

Is your answer that at noon, light photons are located at the newly turned on Sun and at the retina? If yes, that is two places at the same time.
I already answered this LadyShea. This is not magic. He was making a distinction between light that has to reach Earth (which takes 8 minutes), and light that does not have to reach Earth before seeing the Sun. In order to see the Sun though, it has to be bright enough. If it was turned on and it didn't have the brilliance that allows us to see it because it has to expand in size, it wouldn't meet the requirements of efferent vision. If it was ignited and instantly was large enough and bright enough to be seen by the eye, then the photons would instantly be at the retina.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I already answered this LadyShea. This is not magic. He was making a distinction between light that has to reach Earth (which takes 8 minutes), and light that does not have to reach Earth before seeing the Sun.
Right. We know why he laid out the scenario. However he said nothing about light being located on the retina in order to see. He only said we could see the Sun immediately upon it being ignited without needing photons to be located on Earth (indicating he did not think photons need be present at the retina in order to see). He said nothing at all about light physically interacting with the eyes or camera film or being located at the retina or on camera film.

You have added this physical interaction between light and retina/film. You added it in order to include real time photography in efferent vision, since light MUST physically interact with the film/ccd in order to get a photograph. Since you have added it, you need to explain it. As of right now, you have stated that light is physically located on the retina and on the Sun both at 12:00:00.

Quote:
In order to see the Sun though, it has to be bright enough.
That is a given in this scenario, since Lessans said we would see it immediately. I am not changing Lessans scenario in any way, why are you?
Quote:
If it was turned on and it didn't have the brilliance that allows us to see it because it has to expand in size, it wouldn't meet the requirements of efferent vision.
That is not a factor in this scenario, because Lessans said we would see it immediately at 12:00

Quote:
If it was ignited and instantly was large enough and bright enough to be seen by the eye, then the photons would instantly be at the retina.
Yes, this is the scenario. It is large enough and bright enough to be seen at 12:00. If light photons are also on the retina at 12:00, that's two physical locations of light at the same time, 12:00. That's what you are being asked to explain. Did the photons at the retina at 12:00 come from the Sun?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Answer the questions then. If it's not teleportation, and it's not magic, you must be able to explain this bi-location of photons within the known laws of physics and in keeping with the known properties of light.

If you can't explain it, then you have magic and teleportation
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:

Answer the questions then. If it's not teleportation, and it's not magic, you must be able to explain this bi-location of photons within the known laws of physics and in keeping with the known properties of light.

Is it time yet for Peacegirl to appeal to future emperical evidence.

Someday Lessans will be vindicated! :yup:
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Let me see if I understand this. The Sun is turned on at 12;00 noon, like a light bulb, and begines emmiting photons, that are 93 million miles from the earth. And someone standing on the earth will be able to see the Sun imediately at 12:00 noon. The photons have not traveled the distance (93 million miles) yet to Earth (taking about 8.5 minutes). Now somehow that person on the Earth is able to see the Sun, their brain looking through the eyes can directly see the Sun itself (the physical body of the Sun) directly, and according to Lessans we see the object without any assistance from the photons (except that the object needs to be surrounded by a cloud of photons like a swarm of flies, but Peacegirl claims that the photons emited by the sun are instantly in contact with the retina of the eye, so the brain eye is somehow negating the distance from the sun to the Earth (93 million miles) and the time it takes light to travel from the Sun to the Earth (aproximately 8.5 minutes).
-
(Is anyone still reading this?)
-
So all we need to to figure out is how the eye can acquire an image over that distance, and instantly, (according to Lessans), or figure out how photons can get from the Sun to the retina of the eye, again over 93 million miles and instantly instead of 8.5 minutes later. Does anyone really see a problem with this?
-
FTL transmission of information, sounds like a Nobel prize to me, I understand they serve a really good dinner with that. (I wonder if it's takeout?)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That wasn't the question. You contradicted yourself with your last attempt to answer these questions, so for efferent vision to be plausible you will need to try again.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Then you have incorrectly answered our questions. I asked you quite specifically about the photons which are at the retina at 12:00, and you told me they came from the Sun and were also located at the Sun at 12:00.
Not the same photons Spacemonkey. Photons at the retina are not the same photons that are at the Sun. You have misunderstood me all this time? :eek: But this does not change the fact that what we are seeing is a mirror image of the object. We are not getting blue photons before red, although it's completely logical in the afferent account.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Photons at the retina are not the same photons that are at the Sun.
Did the light at the retina originate on or come from the Sun?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not the same photons Spacemonkey. Photons at the retina are not the same photons that are at the Sun. You have misunderstood me all this time? :eek:
No, you've misunderstood me. The photons I asked you about were those at the retina, and you told me they came from the Sun and were located there at 12:00. But that is the same time that they are at the retina. If you were talking about different photons then you weren't answering what I asked.

Quote:
But this does not change the fact that what we are seeing is a mirror image of the object. We are not getting blue photons before red, which would be logical in the afferent account since distance and time are factors that do not exist in the efferent account.
I'm still not saying anything at all about blue vs. red photons. Please answer my questions, without contradiction this time:-

Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is no bi-location LadyShea. That's a total misconception. Light energy is in constant motion. Photons are constantly replaced so there's no photon in two different places at the same time. That does not mean we aren't getting a mirror image. You are, once again, coming from the afferent perspective which states that light is all that is necessary for sight.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM

How does light get to the retina and where did the light at the retina come from in the efferent account, supposing the scenario of the newly ignited Sun, at noon?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
There is no bi-location LadyShea. I have no idea what you're talking about. Light energy is in constant motion. Photons being emitted are constantly replaced so there's no photons in two different places at the same time. That does not mean we can't get a mirror image. You are, once again, coming from the afferent perspective and you don't even realize it.
You just missed a key part of LadyShea's post. It was this:-

Quote:
Answer the questions then.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy