Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Default Re: New And Improved Rant Thread, now with 50% more profanity!

Yep. Had a long discourse with my boss about it and proceeded to work from home, as was the original plan. And then I got in trouble the next day because her boss was mad because we weren't there.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Fishy mokey

Bah, that's just wrong.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
California Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdai View Post
I need a super tiny hex key to take the keyboard apart.
:wizard5:
curses (01-14-2011), Qingdai (01-14-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 AM
Coffin Creep

Fuck UPS and their fucking delivery trucks. Fuck fuck fuck them. My video card was listed as being out for delivery yesterday morning. All day I wait and nothing. Then yesterday evening the tracking data showed it had been returned to Lenoir for "Emergency conditions beyond UPS's control." Ok, fine it was eleven degrees outside after dark and quite icy. So today they put on a truck and send it out again, and then it gets sent back again.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

It's going to be below freezing every night for months! Does the fact that I'm near the end of the route mean I won't get the package till the Spring? Those fucking bastards. Of course, since its Friday, they won't even try again till Monday. I think it's possible to arrange for pickup at their facility, but doubtless that won't be open till Monday either. So basically I get shafted for at least the whole weekend

I've always preferred the mail, but that wasn't an option this time. God damn it all to hell.
Nullifidian (01-18-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Dr. Jerome Corsi-Soetoro, Ph.D., Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post

Fuck fucking Fuck fuck fuck

WHAT THE FUCK?!

fucking bastards.

God damn it all to hell.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:53 AM
happy now, Mussolini?

Idiot neighborhood kids ringing the doorbell and running off into the night!

HOW IS THAT GETTING BACK AT FUCKING SOCIETY???

Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM
professional left-winger

FUCK! It looks like someone shot my printer! That's magenta ink that poured out of the back of my large format printer from a brand new full cartridge.

I (I hope, hope, hope) it was a defective ink cartridge and not something major. I won't know until Tuesday when I get a replacement to try.

If it's something more, I'll be really pissed because I had the entire tube assembly replaced a little over a year ago. It was expensive and I can't really afford to do it again.

That's about all the rant I can manage right now, because if i get too mad I'll probably roll that fucker down the hill and into the bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0224.jpg (200.2 KB, 8 views)
lisarea (01-15-2011), Naru (01-15-2011), Stormlight (01-17-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 01:39 AM

fuck ?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Strabismic Ungulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
fuck ?
New pickup line?
Stormlight (01-17-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir's blood View Post
Fuck UPS and their fucking delivery trucks. Fuck fuck fuck them. My video card was listed as being out for delivery yesterday morning. All day I wait and nothing. Then yesterday evening the tracking data showed it had been returned to Lenoir for "Emergency conditions beyond UPS's control." Ok, fine it was eleven degrees outside after dark and quite icy. So today they put on a truck and send it out again, and then it gets sent back again.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

It's going to be below freezing every night for months! Does the fact that I'm near the end of the route mean I won't get the package till the Spring? Those fucking bastards. Of course, since its Friday, they won't even try again till Monday. I think it's possible to arrange for pickup at their facility, but doubtless that won't be open till Monday either. So basically I get shafted for at least the whole weekend

I've always preferred the mail, but that wasn't an option this time. God damn it all to hell.
Our Kindle DX arrived in Doraville 3 days ago. Late last night it was finally scanned. What the fuck? Are they saying it sat in the parking lot for 3 days and then got scanned in? I realize the road conditions aren't all that great, but I spent about an hour driving around today without any problems. UPS really has no excuse for not delivering today. Yes, they now say Monday.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:03 AM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEROME DA GNOME View Post
fuck ?
What's your point?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
What's your point?
Ask Ymir's blood, i dont know, just trying to participate.

:0
Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemonkey View Post
FUCK! It looks like someone shot my printer! That's magenta ink that poured out of the back of my large format printer from a brand new full cartridge.

I (I hope, hope, hope) it was a defective ink cartridge and not something major. I won't know until Tuesday when I get a replacement to try.

If it's something more, I'll be really pissed because I had the entire tube assembly replaced a little over a year ago. It was expensive and I can't really afford to do it again.

That's about all the rant I can manage right now, because if i get too mad I'll probably roll that fucker down the hill and into the bay.
Yowza!

What size format, by the way? 36"?

We once tested several large format printers/plotters for an article that Sonoma Bear was writing. They were all over the house. Huge beasts, but I wish they had let us keep one.

Worse was the time we tested large format scanners. Some were so large that we couldn't get them in the house. Sonoma actually had to wheel a computer out to the carport to test a couple of them. While it was snowing. Contex even sent a guy from the Netherlands to come here and demonstrate a few of them. We didn't get to keep any of them.

Bastards.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulebear View Post

Our Kindle DX arrived in Doraville 3 days ago. Late last night it was finally scanned. What the fuck? Are they saying it sat in the parking lot for 3 days and then got scanned in? I realize the road conditions aren't all that great, but I spent about an hour driving around today without any problems. UPS really has no excuse for not delivering today. Yes, they now say Monday.
I have a package waiting at Doraville too, all tracking says is Adverse Weather Conditions.
Edit: Oh and Contex :heart:
Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
Yep. Had a long discourse with my boss about it and proceeded to work from home, as was the original plan. And then I got in trouble the next day because her boss was mad because we weren't there.
That is indeed all wrong. If anyone's ass should be in the sling it is that of your immediate superior. She is the one who gave you permission to work from home. The fact that you were given permission should indemnify you from any repercussions.

So, what were the repercussions for your failure to come into work?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:23 AM
professional left-winger

Quote:
Yowza!

What size format, by the way? 36"?
42"

Quote:
...large format scanners..
Wheeeee!!! I would love to try out some of those.

Why was Sonoma Bear writing articles on these things?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post

That is indeed all wrong. If anyone's ass should be in the sling it is that of your immediate superior. She is the one who gave you permission to work from home. The fact that you were given permission should indemnify you from any repercussions.

So, what were the repercussions for your failure to come into work?
Oddly enough there were none. Middle Manager of Doom doesn't like to deal with stuff, he'll hold it as ammo for a later date. I do have to change my rant though. We had a staff meeting today and the VP found out we'd worked and told us we'd be compensated, thus going over MMoD's head. They were actually grateful.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-17-2011), Angakuk (01-15-2011), Jerome (01-15-2011), Ymir's blood (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 03:04 AM

That's what he does for a living. He reviews high end graphics software and hardware for publication.

We get lots of free graphic cards and the occasional printer/plotter (though nothing as large as a 42"). It's one of the perks.

We currently have graphic cards in our computers that cost more than the systems. And the cards have more memory than the computers they're in.

We've never been able to score a high end monitor though. Dammit. Discount? Yes, but not free.

Oh yeah... This is the rant thread.

So... Here's an unrelated rant.

I won't go in to details, but I really hate having to explain the same thing over and over again to someone simply because they have the attention span of a salted slug.

"I am going to help you out by doing A, B, and..."
"What? B and what?"
"A, B, and C..."
"Why?"
"To help you..."
"B, D and C?
"No. A, B..."
"Why?"

And on and on and on...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 AM
professional left-winger

dear ms. drusus,

please file above information for future Secret Santa ideas

kind regards,

ms. monkey
Adam (01-17-2011), curses (01-15-2011), Sonoma Bear (01-15-2011), Stormlight (01-17-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
The roads were fine here today as well. A bit wet, so possibly icy after dark. The thing that bugs me is that apparently there isn't any change in prioritization for stuff that failed to get delivered the first day. We're at the end of the day's deliveries and that isn't going to get bumped up regardless. To add more fuel, I saw a UPS truck run the stop sign in front of our house around 5:30, which was the point I started to boil over.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 PM

We get deliveries from FedEx, UPS, DHL, Airborne Express, et cetera. A few years back we had an incident of incredibly bad service from UPS. I made a few phone calls which led to the driver being fired. Since then, the UPS guy who delivers to us has been fantastic.

Unfortunately, he can't deliver if they don't get it to him. Once he has it, he'll make a beeline to us.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

While everyone else is bitching about UPS I might as well join in. Last night I got the packages I shipped back from ALA conference last weekend through the UPS store near my hotel. This morning I picked up the mailing tube to bring it to work and saw that the cap on one end was missing along with more than half of the posters, including the one I bought for a friend. BASTARDS!!! Especially considering they taped it up for me as well as shipping it there is no one to blame but UPS. If they'd had the decency to offer crimped mailing tubes as well as capped or used reinforced strapping tape I would be having this problem.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Coffin Creep

Quote:
We get deliveries from FedEx, UPS, DHL, Airborne Express, et cetera. A few years back we had an incident of incredibly bad service from UPS. I made a few phone calls which led to the driver being fired. Since then, the UPS guy who delivers to us has been fantastic.
I imagine my problem stems from company policy. They are right not to keep the driver out on icy roads, but there don't (at least so far) seem to be any provisions for making up backlogs when it keeps happening.

If it doesn't get delivered on Monday (the weather forecast has improved) then I'll contact UPS. It's only about thirty minutes to Lenoir, if I have to go pick it up, though it will still cost more in gas than the shipping was.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
California Sober

Does UPS even deliver on MLK Day?

If this was California, we would have worked or gone to school today to make up for all the lost time last week.* No mail delivery (damn feds! :shakefist: [I'm still waiting for an Amazon order from USPS]), but maybe garbage pickup or something? Anything? Of course not! Since it's Georgia we have to be all like, "We're not racist. We have a black friend and everything!" and meanwhile nobody has gotten shit done in this damn state since the week before Christmas.

*(I mean, except for the fact that we would never get snowed in for three days in California in the first place.)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
THIS IS REALLY ADVANCED ENGLISH

Dear Nosy Guy I Don't Even Know Who Just Happens To Work On The Same Floor:

Actually, it's not at all interesting why I was carrying a styrofoam cup of water inside my coffee mug. I just forgot my water cup today, but still don't want to use my coffee mug for the water because I don't want water that tastes like coffee. And I put it inside the coffee cup to make it easier to carry. See? Not "interesting" at all. Maybe even a little dumb, but somewhat lower on the scale of stupidity, IMO, than commenting on what I'm doing and calling it "interesting."

So, rather than engage in that much exposition for you, I just said "Yup" and kept walking. I didn't really want to respond in that manner either, but it was more diplomatic than what I really wanted to say. I.e., Shut your shiteating piehole and mind your own fucking business, fuckwit.

This is the same asshole who loudly and enthusiastically claimed he loved the "open office" environment because it encouraged communication. Urge to kill ... rising ...

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-17-2011), Ensign Steve (01-17-2011), lisarea (01-17-2011), livius drusus (01-18-2011), Nullifidian (01-18-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium