Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
So what makes you so interested in repeating yourself over and over to absolutely no effect? You realize that you could easily be bested by a 3 year old?

Some of us are actually directing our posts to those other than peacegirl. Even my own that are addressed to Peacegirl, it is a rhetorical post intended for the benefit of others. Really I'm only here for the occasional 'thankyou'.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Picky, picky. Give her a break. As she has said often enough, she is doing the best she can, with the limited resources at her disposal.

Peacegirl left a 'thankyou' for this post? Shall we add 'Sarcasm' to the list of words that Peacegirl does not understand?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-19-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Picky, picky. Give her a break. As she has said often enough, she is doing the best she can, with the limited resources at her disposal.

Peacegirl left a 'thankyou' for this post? Shall we add 'Sarcasm' to the list of words that Peacegirl does not understand?
I'm sure she knows the meaning of the word "sarcasm". However in her current mental state I doubt she can detect actual sarcasm. She shouldn't be the target of derision. She needs help.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You are not right; compatibilism is not right
It can't be right or wrong, only agreed with or disagreed with.
Wrong LadyShea. At one time the shape of the earth was a philosophical question until it became known that it had a spherical shape, which then became factual.
The shape of the Earth was never a philosophical question, it was always a mathematical issue that could ultimately be determined through measurements and geometry and empirical observation...because the Earth is material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by link
Setting up a mathematical model of the Earth, taking into account all its properties, is extremely complicated: the Earth has a non-homogeneous interior, there are internal flows of the molten material, there is a relatively thin crust, etc. A mathematical model is only feasible if the question at hand is simplified. Studying a mass of an ideal fluid (ie. with zero viscosity), floating in the vacuum of empty space, and subject to a rotation, yields calculable results that should at least give a reasonable indication on what would happen in reality.
Movement in the direction of greater satisfaction is not material. It cannot be measured, nor directly observed. It is a psychological concept and cannot be proven factual. It can be inferred from behavior at the very most, but there is no way to eliminate the possibility of exceptions...there is not just a single human mind so there is no one answer..
Quote:
To say it can't be wrong or right is ridiculous LadyShea, just because this has been philosophical debate for centuries.
I am not using the past history of the debate as my reason. I am saying it is not possible to prove that free will does or does not exist, just as it can't be proven that God does or does not exist.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
The question of free will vs. determinism isn't answered with hard data or empirically measurable facts- it's a question of various understandings and definitions.
Quote:
Noooooo LadyShea. Definitions are words only, and if they don't reflect reality, they mean nothing whatsoever.
Language is the only way to communicate the concepts. Lessans used language in his proof because there is no other way to discuss these concepts.

Neither Free will nor determinism are material things that can be measured and directly observed, they are words to represent immaterial concepts. Words have definitions, and definitions are not set in stone.

So if words mean nothing then Lessans words mean nothing as well. We are left with agreeing with or disagreeing with any given definition or explanation.

Quote:
Instead of it being an either/or -contra causal free will or hard determinism- those two concepts are on opposite ends of a spectrum. There are lots of valid concepts in between. If you get a lot of people reading the book, you are going to have readers that fall all over that spectrum. Is your response to them also going to be to scream that they are wrong, because of your rigid binary thinking on this?
Quote:
Once again, you are putting this discovery in a philosphical category. It is not philosophy although this discovery was borne out of philosophical thought. It is a proven fact that man's will is not free, and he absolutely and positively proved it.
No, he didn't. He offered his opinion on the subject. You happen to agree with him is all.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This back and forth bickering won't bring us any closer to the truth unfortunately. The key that will help us to determine who is right will not be found here. Until further empirical evidence is provided (on either side), this is just flexing one's muscles and acting domineering over the small guy.
Yes, yes, it's all very dramatic and you are a martyr
Quote:
This kind of response is exactly what I'm talking about. I never claimed to be a martyr LadyShea, so why are you accusing me of this? I'm just trying to help our world and I have knowledge that can help. I don't call that being a martyr.
You claimed to be the "small guy" being "domineered". That is persecution talk.
Quote:
Quote:
That's not good enough. That's why I want to move on LadyShea. Will you allow me to? I know you are going to say that it's not up to you, but you are contributing to the conversation which adds momentum.
Quote:
It's not up to me, and momentum is meaningless if you're not onboard.
Quote:
You could try to understand my position and let me move forward instead of confront me every step of the way, which is not helping.
Not helping who to do what? Not helping you be a slimy little weasel without being called on it? I have no desire to help you do that. You talk bullshit, you will be challenged on it. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.
Quote:
What you say does have momentum because you are one of the main participants.
So are you. As I said, if you weren't on board there would be no momentum.
Quote:
If you helped me by asking me questions about his first discovery (which has the absolute power to prevent war and crime), then the conversation might take a different course.
I've asked questions, and you've refused to answer them, or answered them with mere assertions, or pleas to give Lessans the benefit of the doubt, or pleas to assume Lessans was correct temporarily, or appeals to non-existent evidence that you hope will be forthcoming sometime in the future, and myriad other weaseling bullshit.

Quote:
Quote:
Stop reading the posts, stop visiting :ff:, stop responding to the posts and post whatever you want if you choose to stay (though you will be considered a coward and a weasel if you do that)...do whatever "move on" means to you. Nobody can help you do that, force you to do that, or stop you from doing that. You can choose it of your own free will ;)
Quote:
Saying I can do it of my own free will is true in the sense that I can do it because I want to. No one is stopping me. But, once again, this does not mean I have free will.
LOL did you not see the winking smilie or did you not know it was put there purposefully to send you into a shit fit like this? You're funny

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not asking just you, I'm asking everybody to hold off and wait, but don't forget his claim as time goes on. I do want to move on to a much more important topic which will provide a way out of a miserable existence for a large portion of the population.
Quote:
You can't decide what interests the people you are discussing with. You do not get to direct the conversation here.
Quote:
It's not about "not getting". It's about sharing the most important discovery of our times. I can't force you to be interested in something that you think has no value because you think it's just philosophy with no right or wrong answers. :(
Exactly my point. You can't force others to have the discussion you want to have, no matter how much you stamp your feet, or beg, or weasel.
Quote:
Quote:
You can direct the discussion on your own website, or blog, or lecture series, or companion guide to the book or whatever...but not on a discussion forum on the Internet.
Quote:
I can ask people to please take a break from the discussion on the eyes.
Yes and they are unlikely to comply with that request.

Quote:
If people thought for one second that this knowledge could actually prevent war, crime, and poverty, they wouldn't hesitate to listen, but they think it's a big joke which has to do with how I'm being treated in here. It can't help but rub off on those who are lurking.
It's a big joke because neither Lessans nor you have offered any rational, well supported reason, whatsoever, to believe Lessans ideas could actually prevent war, crime, and poverty.

It's too late for this forum, but next time try to make compelling arguments, answer questions adequately, and refrain from histrionics and blatant weaseling.

That may or may not help people get over the inadequacies in the book itself, but it might garner you more preferable treatment.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are not right; compatibilism is not right
It can't be right or wrong, only agreed with or disagreed with.
Wrong LadyShea. At one time the shape of the earth was a philosophical question until it became known that it had a spherical shape, which then became factual.
The shape of the Earth was never a philosophical question, it was always a mathematical issue that could ultimately be determined through measurements and geometry and empirical observation...because the Earth is material.
But what you are saying is that a discovery cannot be made regarding man's will because it's not something that can be measured or directly observed. It is true that we cannot observe someone moving in the direction of "greater satisfaction", but it can be proven in other ways. In the end the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it doesn't work, then it would be wrong, but it isn't wrong and it hasn't been proven to be wrong, and even though it's not here yet does not make it a faith claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by link
Setting up a mathematical model of the Earth, taking into account all its properties, is extremely complicated: the Earth has a non-homogeneous interior, there are internal flows of the molten material, there is a relatively thin crust, etc. A mathematical model is only feasible if the question at hand is simplified. Studying a mass of an ideal fluid (ie. with zero viscosity), floating in the vacuum of empty space, and subject to a rotation, yields calculable results that should at least give a reasonable indication on what would happen in reality.
A mathematical model may start out as a simplification, but when it's complete it is precise LadyShea. We can't build bridges with an approximation. By the same token, this blueprint of a new world (although it could have been volumes) serves its purpose. It is complete in the sense that it shows how peace on earth can come about. He also showed how a new economic system can be created that protects everyone in the world from ever going below a basic standard of living. With this blueprint, it will not be difficult to get this new world off the ground.

Quote:
Movement in the direction of greater satisfaction is not material. It cannot be measured, nor directly observed. It is a psychological concept and cannot be proven factual. It can be inferred from behavior at the very most, but there is no way to eliminate the possibility of exceptions...there is not just a single human mind so there is no one answer..
I am upset that you refuse to even try to understand this law because you have made up your mind that it's just an opinion. I will need to end our discussion because as long as you think this is a mere opinion, it will prevent you from taking this work seriously. We cannot move in the direction of dissatisfaction when a better alternative is available LadyShea. Our nature will not allow it. Just because this knowledge is immaterial doesn't make it wishy washy, or just another opinion that has no right or wrong. Free will is wrong. That makes determinism right. He proves this in an undeniable manner. You may not have the capacity to understand it, or you may have too many competing theories in your head to be able to decipher truth from fiction. It isn't a problem just with you, but with the philosophical community in particular, the very field this discovery came from. Another irony.

Quote:
To say it can't be wrong or right is ridiculous LadyShea, just because this has been philosophical debate for centuries.
Quote:
I am not using the past history of the debate as my reason. I am saying it is not possible to prove that free will does or does not exist, just as it can't be proven that God does or does not exist.
It is possible LadyShea, and behind this knowledge lies the answer to war and crime, so for you to so blatantly handwave this knowledge away is foolhardy and I won't waste my time discussing this with you if you have already made up your mind that he is wrong. Think what you want but it will be your loss, not mine. I can move on and find plenty of people who will be interested in this book and will give Lessans a fair chance, something you are not doing.

Quote:
The question of free will vs. determinism isn't answered with hard data or empirically measurable facts- it's a question of various understandings and definitions.
Quote:
Noooooo LadyShea. Definitions are words only, and if they don't reflect reality, they mean nothing whatsoever.
Quote:
Language is the only way to communicate the concepts. Lessans used language in his proof because there is no other way to discuss these concepts.
Of course language is the only way to communicate concepts, but where does this say we cannot reject definitions that are not useful because they are empty words that have no relationship to reality? :(

Quote:
Neither Free will nor determinism are material things that can be measured and directly observed, they are words to represent immaterial concepts. Words have definitions, and definitions are not set in stone.
You're right that definitions are not set in stone but like Spacemonkey said, definitions are useful or they are not. The proposition being put forth is most important and whether it is accurate or not.

Quote:
So if words mean nothing then Lessans words mean nothing as well. We are left with agreeing with or disagreeing with any given definition or explanation.
You are not thinking correctly LadyShea. Words mean nothing if they don't describe reality. Isn't that what we're searching for...solutions (not empty definitions) that work in the real world? If a definition is not describing reality for what it is, it won't be useful. Before telling me no discovery can be made in regard to free will and determinism, you better think again.

Quote:
Instead of it being an either/or -contra causal free will or hard determinism- those two concepts are on opposite ends of a spectrum. There are lots of valid concepts in between. If you get a lot of people reading the book, you are going to have readers that fall all over that spectrum. Is your response to them also going to be to scream that they are wrong, because of your rigid binary thinking on this?
Quote:
Once again, you are putting this discovery in a philosphical category. It is not philosophy although this discovery was borne out of philosophical thought. It is a proven fact that man's will is not free, and he absolutely and positively proved it.
Quote:
No, he didn't. He offered his opinion on the subject. You happen to agree with him is all.
I think we're done LadyShea. The only person left is Spacemonkey and we're close to ending that conversation too. It's your loss. It's so ironic that someone who is trying so hard to learn and become enlightened is actually cutting off her nose to spite her face. :sadcheer:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-18-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
You are so wrong here it makes me upset that you refuse to even try to understand this law of our nature because it isn't material. I will need to end our discussion if you can't get beyond this and keep ignoring that this is the direction everyone is compelled to move. We cannot move in the direction of dissatisfaction when a better alternative is available. Our nature will not allow it, and just because this is an immaterial observation doesn't make it wishy washy, or just another opinion among thousands.
It's a claim about human mental states and thought processes, it can never be empirically proven. The most you can ever do is support the claim that the movement toward greater satisfaction is highly common amongst humans, but even that would require compiling mountains of statistics and data from the relevant fields like psychology and neurology.

Not my problem that you dislike the facts of the matter.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Of course language is the only way to communicate concepts, but where does this say we cannot reject definitions that are not useful because they are empty words that have no relationship to reality?
They are related to the reality of how people understand and communicate about the concepts and terms in question. They are useful because there is no other way to convey the concepts except by using words.

Math doesn't need definitions. One of something is one of something in all languages and across all cultures. You can demonstrate the concept of 1+1 without using any language at all or using different words and symbols to represent the numbers.

You cannot explain the concepts of free will, determinism, or greater satisfaction without using common definitions. So while you are of course free to reject a definition, that doesn't mean anyone else will agree with your idiosyncratic usage of terms...and may in turn reject your definition.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
If it doesn't work, then it would be wrong, but it isn't wrong and it hasn't been proven to be wrong, and even though it's not here yet does not make it a faith claim.
LOL really? Well you have no idea if it will work yet, you only have hope and belief, so yes it is a faith claim until it is demonstrated to work.

Quote:
I can move on and find plenty of people who will be interested in this book and will give Lessans a fair chance, something you are not doing.
Oh look, here comes another faith claim. If you can do so, then do it. What's stopping you?
Quote:
I think we're done LadyShea.
You can't speak for me, so using "we" was inaccurate. If you're done, then you are. I'll believe it when I see it though, and not just because you say it.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You are so wrong here it makes me upset that you refuse to even try to understand this law of our nature because it isn't material. I will need to end our discussion if you can't get beyond this and keep ignoring that this is the direction everyone is compelled to move. We cannot move in the direction of dissatisfaction when a better alternative is available. Our nature will not allow it, and just because this is an immaterial observation doesn't make it wishy washy, or just another opinion among thousands.
It's a claim about human mental states and thought processes, it can never be empirically proven. The most you can ever do is support the claim that the movement toward greater satisfaction is highly common amongst humans, but even that would require compiling mountains of statistics and data from the relevant fields like psychology and neurology.

Dislike what facts? You're not stating any facts. We're not talking about approximations or compiling mountains of statistics from relevant fields. You keep reverting back to "these fields" as if this is the only way a discovery of this magnitude could be made. He wasn't in any of these fields but he made a discovery nevertheless. It shouldn't have happened, but it did against all odds. :eek: And what he discovered is a universal law which means there are no exceptions.

“Just because some differences are so obviously superior in value
where you are concerned that no hesitation is required to decide which
is preferable while other differences need a more careful consideration
does not change the direction of life which moves always towards
greater satisfaction than what the present position offers. You must
bear in mind that what one person judges good or bad for himself
doesn’t make it so for others especially when it is remembered that a
juxtaposition of differences in each case present alternatives that affect
choice.”

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are not stating any facts. No LadyShea, this is not an approximation. This is a universal law. There are no exceptions.
Unsupported assertion.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
I will have a dual with you on this count, and I will win this dual whether it's now or later on. You are not right; compatibilism is not right, and all I care about is what's right, not who wins.
I would rather have a rational discussion than a duel. I would rather you support your claim that compatibilism is wrong, rather than merely repeatedly asserting this to be the case.

Quote:
Oh my god, you can't do something that is against your will. Even though your choice could be not what you want (i.e., the lesser of the evils that are presented to you), that is exactly what you're not understanding. I could care less about definitions. I WANT THE TRUTH SPACEMONKEY AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWING ME TO MOVE FORWARD.
I've explained compatibilism to you. If you want to move forward, then the next step would be for you to explain WHY you think it is wrong. Am I preventing you from doing that? The notion of 'compulsion' I am appealing to is that of a strong psychological impulse to do something that - other than for the impulse - you do not want to do. (Like the compulsion you have to keep posting here.) And I am stipulating that my use of this term does not include causal determination as a compulsion.

Quote:
I don't care what is, or what is not, included in the compatibilist definition. The point is IT'S WRONG; IT'S NOT ACCURATE; IT DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO BE ACCURATE SPACEMONEY, and for you to keep defending it gives me no hope in talking to you because you are becoming irrational in defense of compatibilism so you can justify punishment and blame. :(
You should care what is or is not included in the compatibilist definition. Because you can't show it to be wrong without understanding what it says, and you can't understand what it says if you continue ignoring how it is defined. Which one of us is becoming irrational? Am I the one going on about 'winning duals' (sic)? Am I the one resorting to CAPSLOCK unsupported assertions of wrongness? Am I the one ignoring definitions and refusing to identify any flaw in the position I am criticizing?

Compatibilist free will: The freedom to choose without compulsion (as defined above, i.e. without any 'compulsion' other than causal determination) or coercion and to be able to act in accordance with one's choices.

Contra-causal/Libertarian free will: The freedom to choose without compulsion, coercion, or causal necessity, and to be able to act in accordance with one's choices.

The definitions are different. Compatibilism says that only the first kind of freedom is required to make us morally responsible beings that can be justly praised or blamed for our actions. And you have yet to show this to be wrong or contradictory.
Angakuk (11-18-2012), LadyShea (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If it doesn't work, then it would be wrong, but it isn't wrong and it hasn't been proven to be wrong, and even though it's not here yet does not make it a faith claim.
LOL really? Well you have no idea if it will work yet, you only have hope and belief, so yes it is a faith claim until it is demonstrated to work.

Quote:
I can move on and find plenty of people who will be interested in this book and will give Lessans a fair chance, something you are not doing.
Oh look, here comes another faith claim. If you can do so, then do it. What's stopping you?
I haven't even begun because I have not gotten my books. When I do, I will send them out to many people in different fields, and I believe I will get a favorable response. You haven't even read the book, you only read parts and took so many things out of context like falling in love with someone's genitals. You have no idea what he was even talking about so you made a joke out of it.
Quote:
I think we're done LadyShea.
Quote:
You can't speak for me, so using "we" was inaccurate. If you're done, then you are. I'll believe it when I see it though, and not just because you say it.
It takes two to tango, so I can use the word "we", for without "me", there is no "we". :glare:

Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
You are clearly wrong in your contradictory account of these 'mirror image' photons at the retina. You have asserted and maintained each of the following claims:

1) The mirror image at the retina (on Earth) consists of light, i.e. photons.
2) These photons traveled to get there.
3) The mirror image is at the retina on Earth before any light has yet arrived on Earth.

These claims are obviously contradictory. So which one of them is wrong? Which one are you going to retract? Because no-one will ever consider efferent vision to be plausible while it remains contradictory.
BUMP.
BUMP.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There's no proof of that Spcemonkey. It's assumed. Non-absorbed photons DO NOT get reflected. White light travels, not non-absorbed photons. There's no proof that non-absorbed light bounces off of objects and travels.
No, it is not assumed. It is directly observed. You can see it for yourself. Simply shine a flashlight off a mirror in a darkened room. You will see the light that is not absorbed bounce off the mirror and hit the wall. Put some red colored paint or cellophane on the mirror, and you will see that the mirror now absorbs the non-red light from your torch while the non-absorbed red light from the flashlight bounces off and hits the wall. And worse, you have absolutely no explanation for where the non-absorbed light goes if it doesn't bounce off and travel away.

Quote:
And I'm telling you for the sake of brevity, I will say use terms like "pattern", carrying, or whatever. You should know what I mean by now.
You should know by now what you mean, but unfortunately you don't. Because the only pattern or information involved on our account is something you agree with. The only things you keep denying (other than the light-speed delay, whose alleged absence you cannot explain) are things that the afferent account does not claim.
Bump.
Dragar (11-18-2012), LadyShea (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
White light is just the collection of light of differing wavelengths. When this light hits an object, some of it is absorbed and used up, while the rest bounces off and travels away. The light that bounces off and travels away is the non-absorbed light.
You're just repeating the exact thing Lessans is disputing.
Yes. They are also the known measurable properties of light - which you and Lessans are disputing. What happens to these non-absorbed photons after they hit an object, if they don't bounce off and travel away from it? Don't just say that they "reveal the object". You need to explain where they are and where they are going immediately after hitting the object that allows them to do this.

Quote:
I understand your interpretation, and I believe it's wrong. It is true that part of the spectrum that got absorbed is no longer there. The question is what is happening with the non-absorbed light. Is it bouncing and being reflected, or is it revealing the external world to those who are looking in that direction?
The non-absorbed light can't affect the retina or a film without coming into contact with it. It can't come into contact with it without traveling there at the speed of light. If it gets there any faster then it is violating physics by either teleporting or traveling faster than light. If you think otherwise, then please go ahead and explain where these non-absorbed photons are immediately after hitting the object, and how they can interact with the film or retina to 'reveal the external world' without first getting to the film or retina, and taking time to do so.

Quote:
That is why we only get on the retina the non-absorbed photons which allow us to see the object. But the question remains...
The question that remains is this: How do the non-absorbed photons allow us to see the object on your account, given that they start at the object and can't affect the retina in any way without first getting from the object to the retina?
Bump.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM

I will not be done until I am done. I can keep posting on this topic-here and elsewhere- all I want. So no, you cannot say when or if I am done.

As for context, I asked you multiple times to supply the alleged context that would change the meaning of Lessans very clear words on the subject of falling in love with genitals. Care to revisit that disgusting passage?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Bump
Quote:
Quote:
First off, he didn't say that vaginas are all that matter. That is so callous and so misleading, I could vomit.
THESE ARE HIS EXACT WORDS. He only mentions sexual organs as the object the boy is falling in love with, and the only reason this is so much better than the old free will days is because other people won't call his girl ugly. Talk about vomitous.

And you still have not explained how I have misconstrued these exact words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
he is compelled to put the proverbial horse before the cart and search for the type of girl who is ready to have sex with him. He will then fall in love with her sexual organs...and her features will become secondary because nobody will ever refer indirectly to her as ugly by calling other types beautiful, which in our present world could possibly make him regret his choice
Quote:
I'm not talking about you personally. I'm talking about the pressures that marriages face in general. There are many causes of unhappiness, and economic pressures is one of them.
And this has something to do with falling in love with sexual organs?

Quote:
Stop calling what he said heinous. It shows me how very confused you are. You are the one taking every single word he has written out of context and patting yourself on the back for doing it. If that isn't weaseling, I don't know what is.
It is heinous, extremely so. I am giving you the opportunity to explain the context that makes that sentence NOT dehumanizing and objectifying. You danced around the issue, tried to redirect to other unrelated shit, and blamed me for being confused and not understanding...yet again.

You wonder why nobody takes you seriously? Really?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Bumping the weaseling
Quote:
Quote:
Provide any context which makes the following statement not sexually objectifying and dehumanizing.

If a boy desires a type of girl like Elizabeth Taylor who does not desire his type, he is compelled to put the proverbial horse before the cart and search for the type of girl who is ready to have sex with him. He will then fall in love with her sexual organs. ~Lessans page 162
You have no idea what he meant by that passage. If you did, you would have understood what he meant. It was not a harmful statement at all if you understood the context in which it was written. But you're the queen of reading everything out of context and thinking you are the guardian of truth. This is actually getting funny.

Quote:
I read all the chapters related to dating/marriage, I do not feel I missed any context that would change the meaning of this statement.
If you didn't miss anything, explain what he meant by this. Don't just parrot back the excerpt. Explain it in your own words.

Quote:
When asked about this passage you have repeatedly claimed I have taken it out of context and that I don't understand something or that I haven't read enough to judge the statement. I call bullshit. If this needs "context", then provide it, here in this thread. Justify that statement and explain the circumstances that make it okay to reduce a living, breathing, complex human being to her vagina.
I can't figure out how to use my Reader X Adobe. Does anyone know where the search button is? If it's nowhere to be found, I'll have to uninstall and download my original adobe. LadyShea, you're going to have to find the part yourself and post it. That's your homework. ;)

Quote:
You know it's a heinous statement, and you know there is no context, anywhere, that would make it not disgusting.
We're back to how one's perspective can be so wrong. I know what he meant. You don't. Your perspective is completely wrong because you believe it was a chauvanistic statement. But it wasn't. Just like everything else you've misinterpreted.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I will have a dual with you on this count, and I will win this dual whether it's now or later on. You are not right; compatibilism is not right, and all I care about is what's right, not who wins.
I would rather have a rational discussion than a duel. I would rather you support your claim that compatibilism is wrong, rather than merely repeatedly asserting this to be the case.
Spacemonkey, I did explain it to you until I was blue in the face and all you do and continue to do is come back and tell me that being able to choose without coercion means a person is blameworthy because he wasn't forced to make that choice.

Quote:
Oh my god, you can't do something that is against your will. Even though your choice could be not what you want (i.e., the lesser of the evils that are presented to you), that is exactly what you're not understanding. I could care less about definitions. I WANT THE TRUTH SPACEMONKEY AND YOU'RE NOT ALLOWING ME TO MOVE FORWARD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
I've explained compatibilism to you. If you want to move forward, then the next step would be for you to explain WHY you think it is wrong. Am I preventing you from doing that? The notion of 'compulsion' I am appealing to is that of a strong psychological impulse to do something that - other than for the impulse - you do not want to do. (Like the compulsion you have to keep posting here.) And I am stipulating that my use of this term does not include causal determination as a compulsion.
Compulsion means compelled, which does not give a person a free choice. It is synonymous with being caused to do what one does. Please don't play these word games with me.

Quote:
I don't care what is, or what is not, included in the compatibilist definition. The point is IT'S WRONG; IT'S NOT ACCURATE; IT DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO BE ACCURATE SPACEMONEY, and for you to keep defending it gives me no hope in talking to you because you are becoming irrational in defense of compatibilism so you can justify punishment and blame. :(
Quote:
You should care what is or is not included in the compatibilist definition. Because you can't show it to be wrong without understanding what it says, and you can't understand what it says if you continue ignoring how it is defined. Which one of us is becoming irrational?
I am not ignoring how it's defined but it's not a useful definition unless you want to accept a contradiction.

Quote:
Am I the one going on about 'winning duals' (sic)? Am I the one resorting to CAPSLOCK unsupported assertions of wrongness? Am I the one ignoring definitions and refusing to identify any flaw in the position I am criticizing?
I showed you the flaw. They are not unsupported assertions of wrongness. They are proven contradictions, but you can't let go of your comfortable worldview. After all, it's much easier to blame and punish people for their "wrongdoing" than to find ways of preventing them from desiring to do that which is "wrong."
Quote:
Compatibilist free will: The freedom to choose without compulsion (as defined above, i.e. without any 'compulsion' other than causal determination) or coercion and to be able to act in accordance with one's choices.
Acting in accordance with one's choices without compulsion means will is free, according to the very definition. Why don't you get this? It's like you don't even hear me and then you go on to tell me that I haven't showed you the flaw.

Quote:
The notion of 'compulsion' I am appealing to is that of a strong psychological impulse to do something that - other than for the impulse - you do not want to do. (Like the compulsion you have to keep posting here.) And I am stipulating that my use of this term does not include causal determination as a compulsion
Compulsion does not have to be a strong impulse. Compulsion means to be compelled to do something whether it's a strong impulse or a weak impulse. Causal determination as a compulsion is accurate because being compelled is being caused. You're just twisting words to make it appear as if the two terms are not identical.

Quote:
Contra-causal/Libertarian free will: The freedom to choose without compulsion, coercion, or causal necessity, and to be able to act in accordance with one's choices.

The definitions are different. Compatibilism says that only the first kind of freedom is required to make us morally responsible beings that can be justly praised or blamed for our actions. And you have yet to show this to be wrong or contradictory.
As I said before, the freedom to choose without compulsion is the same thing as saying without causal necessity. You are using the word "compulsion" with the wrong reference.

Definition of COMPULSION

1 a: an act of compelling : the state of being compelled

Compulsion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Compel: cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner;

Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Bump
Quote:
Quote:
First off, he didn't say that vaginas are all that matter. That is so callous and so misleading, I could vomit.
THESE ARE HIS EXACT WORDS. He only mentions sexual organs as the object the boy is falling in love with, and the only reason this is so much better than the old free will days is because other people won't call his girl ugly. Talk about vomitous.

And you still have not explained how I have misconstrued these exact words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
he is compelled to put the proverbial horse before the cart and search for the type of girl who is ready to have sex with him. He will then fall in love with her sexual organs...and her features will become secondary because nobody will ever refer indirectly to her as ugly by calling other types beautiful, which in our present world could possibly make him regret his choice
Quote:
I'm not talking about you personally. I'm talking about the pressures that marriages face in general. There are many causes of unhappiness, and economic pressures is one of them.
And this has something to do with falling in love with sexual organs?

Quote:
Stop calling what he said heinous. It shows me how very confused you are. You are the one taking every single word he has written out of context and patting yourself on the back for doing it. If that isn't weaseling, I don't know what is.
It is heinous, extremely so. I am giving you the opportunity to explain the context that makes that sentence NOT dehumanizing and objectifying. You danced around the issue, tried to redirect to other unrelated shit, and blamed me for being confused and not understanding...yet again.

You wonder why nobody takes you seriously? Really?
Folks, this is someone who never read the book, let alone the chapter. She pulled a few words out of the .pdf when I first joined, and used this to make it seem like I was a troll, and now she's using this as fodder against Lessans again. Don't listen to her, she is so determined to make Lessans look ridiculous, that if you're not careful you will join the bandwagon of naysayers because it's so easy to do especially in a group setting where there is an underdog. It's like the wolves come out to attack the weaker of the group. This is not the sign of an open-minded individual.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
A compulsion means you are compelled to do what you do. It is no different than being caused to do what you do. So please don't play these word games with me in order to make yourself appear right.
I am stipulating what I mean by the term compulsion. You don't get to insist that I use the term according to your preferred usage. Compatibilism says that the absence of non-causal compulsion is all that is required to make us morally responsible beings that can be justly praised or blamed for our actions.

Quote:
I am not ignoring how it's defined but it's not a useful definition unless you want to accept a contradiction.
You are ignoring how I have defined the term, and you are not showing me any contradiction.

Quote:
Quote:
Acting in accordance with one's choices without compulsion means will is free, according to the very definition. Why don't you get this? It's like you didn't even hear me and then you go on to tell me that I haven't showed you the flaw.
What about acting in accordance with one's choices without any compulsion other than causation? Because that is how I just defined compatibilist freedom for you. Yet you reply as if you haven't even read my words.

Quote:
Compulsion does not have to be a strong impulse. Compulsion means to be compelled to do something whether it's a strong impulse or a weak impulse. Causal determination as a compulsion is accurate because being compelled is being caused. You're just twisting words to make it appear as if the two terms are not identical.
Speaking of causal determination as compulsion is not accurate, because I have stipulated that this is not the sense in which I am using the word. Weak or strong, the point is that causation does not imply any such psychological impulse towards an unwanted choice or action.

Quote:
As I said before, the freedom to choose without compulsion is the same thing as saying without causal necessity. You are using the word "compulsion" with the wrong reference.
I get to choose how I use my words. I get to decide for myself which definition of compulsion I am using. And I was NOT using a definition which is equivalent to or inclusive of causal determination. But it really doesn't matter, because even if you insist on treating causation as a form of compulsion, I have defined compatibilist freedom as requiring only freedom from all coercion and compulsion other than causal determination. And you have yet to identify any flaw or contradiction in this position.
Angakuk (11-18-2012), LadyShea (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 PM

Dear imaginary readers peacegirl is addressing, I found the passage by reading the book, how else would I have found it? I have the .pdf version of the book still so can check any references peacegirl wants me to (it had been misplaced but I found it in my Google drive).

Once again, I am asking peacegirl to provide this alleged missing context, from the book and chapter. She can't do it, so is appealing to you to dismiss my valid criticism of the text itself because she is a weasel. I have quoted the passage accurately.

Quote:
Folks, this is someone who never read the book, let alone the chapter. She pulled a few words out of the .pdf when I first joined, and used this to make it seem like I was a troll, and now she's using this as fodder against Lessans again. Don't listen to her, she is so determined to make Lessans look ridiculous, that if you're not careful you will join the bandwagon of naysayers because it's so easy to do especially in a group setting where there is an underdog. It's like the wolves come out to attack the weaker of the group. This is not the sign of an open-minded individual.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
You are using the word "compulsion" with the wrong reference.

Definition of COMPULSION

1 a: an act of compelling : the state of being compelled

Compulsion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Compel: cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner;
Your own linked source gives two definitions for both 'compulsion' and 'compel':

Definition of COMPULSION
1 a : an act of compelling : the state of being compelled
b : a force that compels
2: an irresistible persistent impulse to perform an act (as excessive hand washing); also : the act itself

Definition of COMPEL
1: to cause to do or occur by overwhelming pressure <public opinion compelled her to sign the bill>
2: to drive or urge forcefully or irresistibly <hunger compelled him to eat>

In each case it is only the first definition which involves causation, and it is instead the second definition which is in use in the explanations of compatibilism I have given you. So YOU are the one using the word 'compulsion' with the wrong reference. Because in arguing against compatibilism on the basis of the first definitions, you are arguing against a strawman. What compatibilism actually says concerns only the second definitions, against which you have no argument whatsoever.
Angakuk (11-18-2012), LadyShea (11-19-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Bumping the heinous crap that is Lessans ideas about love and relationships. In the entire chapter, Lessans never once mentions companionship, shared interests, personality, humor, goals and dreams, or anything else denoting people relating to each other with their minds as well as their bodies.
Quote:
Quote:
She constantly takes things out of context, like davidb, and thinks it's funny or disgusting, depending on what sentence she is screwing up. :(
Lessans page 138
Quote:
the fact that it is impossible for a boy and girl to be attracted to someone no matter how physically appealing this individual might be considered if they know in advance that this person was born without any sexual organs which knowledge makes them aware that this anomaly of nature is incapable of giving or receiving sexual satisfaction.

Lessans page 146
Quote:
Let us begin by defining the term ‘marriage’ which is nothing other than a mutual desire to indulge in sexual intercourse for the purpose of bearing a
child.

it is only this mutual desire to beget a child

Lessans page 151
Quote:

the meaning of love before intercourse takes place is the possibility of sexual gratification

Lessans page 157
Quote:

every couple will fall mutually in love with their first date

Lessans page 334
Quote:

sexual satisfaction in varying degrees is the true meaning of love

Lessans page 391
Quote:

it is revealed what love actually is… nothing more than a strong desire for sexual satisfaction
:gross:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-19-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-19-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy