Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
First, explain to me where you can have free will and yet have no free will at the same time? If this is not what compatibilism states, then show me where I'm wrong.
For the millionth time, I am not saying that we can have free will and no free will at the same time. Nor is this what compatibilism says. If you try READING the post you just replied to you'll find I already explained what you just asked for. READ IT. Hypocrite.
If that is not correct Spacemonkey, then tell me what compatibilism states?
What is wrong with you? READ THE POST where I just explained this to you. It is right there in the bumped post you just replied to before where you asked me to explain it.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
First, explain to me where you can have free will and yet have no free will at the same time? If this is not what compatibilism states, then show me where I'm wrong.
For the millionth time, I am not saying that we can have free will and no free will at the same time. Nor is this what compatibilism says. If you try READING the post you just replied to you'll find I already explained what you just asked for. READ IT. Hypocrite.
Don't start calling me names Spacemonkey, or we're done talking. I'm not going to play this game with you.
Don't be a hypocrite and I won't call you one. It is blatantly hypocritical to complain of others allegedly not conscientiously reading Lessans' book when you can't even be bothered to actually read the posts you are replying to.
Angakuk (11-07-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I don't see the difference. I may have accidentally left it out, I'm not sure. I know that I didn't add anything extra that he himself did not include.

The dictionary states that the word ‘sense’
is defined as any of certain agencies by or through which an
individual receives impressions of the external world; popularly,
one of the five senses. Any receptor, or group of receptors,
specialized to receive and transmit external stimuli as of sight,
taste, hearing, etc. But this is a wholly fallacious observation
where the eyes are concerned because nothing from the external
world, other than light, strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon
the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.

versus

Now tell me, did it ever
occur to you that many of the apparent truths we have literally
accepted come to us in the form of words that do not accurately
symbolize what exists, making our problem that much more difficult
since this has denied us the ability to see reality for what it is? In fact,
it can be demonstrated at the birth of a child that the eyes are not a
sense organ when it can be seen that no object, other than light, is
capable of getting a reaction from the eyes because nothing is
impinging on the optic nerve to cause it, although any number of
sounds, tastes, touches or smells can get an immediate reaction since
the nerve endings are being struck by something external.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
You're such a halfwit. That's not even the comparison you're being asked about. There are TWO versions of BOTH of these passages. In each case there is a version WITH the words "other than light" and one without it.
Are you deaf? I just said don't call me names, and what you do, that very thing. If you don't care whether I converse with you, keep calling me names.

Quote:
And I already explained to you the difference in meaning between the above two passages: He said in the second passage that only light can get a reaction from a baby's eyes, and that absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Your edited first passage instead says that only light impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Those are two completely different and incompatible meanings. One says that light impinges on the optic nerve, while the other does not.
I answered this already. When he said absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve to cause it, it referred back to the word "object." He was distinguishing light from the object when he said a baby will react to the light but will show no indication that he sees objects in the room (which he should if the eyes are a sense organ), no matter how close the objects are or how bright and colorful they may be.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't start calling me names Spacemonkey, or we're done talking. I'm not going to play this game with you.
Don't be a hypocrite and I won't call you one. It is blatantly hypocritical to complain of others allegedly not conscientiously reading Lessans' book when you can't even be bothered to actually read the posts you are replying to.
You call me names that are outright lies. I'm tired of it Spacemonkey. Leave the expletives out, okay, and we'll get along just fine. It's up to you.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Are you deaf? I just said don't call me names, and what you do, that very thing. If you don't care whether I converse with you, keep calling me names.
We cross-posted. I removed the term 'half-wit' from my post after reading your request.

Quote:
I answered this already. When he said absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve to cause it, it referred back to the word "object." He was distinguishing light from the object when he said a baby will react to the light but will show no indication that he sees objects in the room (which he should if the eyes are a sense organ), no matter how close the objects are or how bright and colorful they may be.
Nope. That's just you trying to reinterpret his words. The passage where he had the words "other than light" does not explicitly state that light impinges on the optic nerve. It makes an exception for what can get a reaction from a baby, but it does not make an exception for what is striking the optic nerve. Maybe you think that is what he really meant, or what he had intended to write, but that is an interpretation on your part and it is not what he actually wrote.

"Absolutely nothing" means just that. It does not allow for light as an exception. And it doesn't make any sense to think these words referred back to the word 'object' such that he really meant only that absolutely no objects of vision impinge on the optic nerve. That would be a ridiculous strawman. Who has ever thought that the eyes being a sense organ would require a car to drive right into your eyes before you could see it?

In any case, it is not even what you were being asked about, which is why there are two versions of both passages.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11-05-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
You call me names that are outright lies. I'm tired of it Spacemonkey. Leave the expletives out, okay, and we'll get along just fine. It's up to you.
Calling you a hypocrite was not an expletive and it was not a lie. Like I said, it is blatantly hypocritical to complain of others allegedly not conscientiously reading Lessans' book when you can't even be bothered to actually read the posts you are replying to. What part of this do you disagree with? Why is it not perfectly accurate for me to call you a hypocrite on this point? Btw, it is also hypocritical of you to accuse me of lying.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm giving you what I know to be true. I believe there is a tremendous amount of evidence that he is right when it comes to how conscience functions.
You haven't given me squat. It is possible that you really are so delusional that you think there is "a tremendous amount of evidence" supporting Lessans' claims about conscience. But this doesn't change the fact that neither you nor he have ever presented any whatsoever.

Quote:
So what are the three justifications Spacemonkey?
Retaliation, self-preservation, and responsibility-shifting due to blame.

Quote:
These were his observations whether you see it or not. These observations are spot on because he was extremely perceptive and was able to see the common theme running through many historical accounts. He saw that people need a justification and he showed what happens when there is none. This knowledge is falsifiable, but you'll have to wait until it can be confirmed empirically. If that's not good enough, there's nothing I can do about it.
You're right, it's not good enough and there isn't anything you can do about it. And that is why his non-discovery will continue to be rejected by everyone. No-one has any reason to believe that he was extremely perceptive, or able to see common themes, so no-one has any reason to believe that his 'observations' were spot on. Claiming that he just 'saw' that people need a justification does not in any way support his claims.

All one can ever observe is the actual occurrence of specific events. No-one can directly observe either modal claims (justifications are always necessary) or universal claims (that all justifications are of three types). These can only be inferred from observation, and Lessans never provides any direct observations, and does nothing at all to support his claims about conscience.

Quote:
Show me where it's consistent. I asked you this before and you never answered.
I told you I had already done that, but would do so again if you retracted your false charge that I had contradicted myself. You refused. Compatibilism is consistent because it doesn't say that we both have and do not have free will. It says only that having the freedom to choose without compulsion or coercion and to be able to act in accordance with one's choices is all that is needed for one to be morally responsible for one's actions. It says that contra-causal free will is not the only kind of free will, and that it is not the kind needed to make us morally responsible beings that can be justly praised or blamed for our actions. If you see some kind of contradiction here, then the burden is upon you to identify it.
Bump.

Are you ever going to provide any support for your claim that under his changed conditions justification will always be needed to cause harm to another?

Are you going to apologize for telling me I haven't read his book?
Bump.

Try READING the above post, Peacegirl.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

This is just not true, babies will notice an object without any associated sound. Brightly colored or moving objects will attract a babies attention and they will continue to look at it. This is very noticable to anyone who has been around small babies even new borns.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-07-2012), Spacemonkey (11-05-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Did you move the "other than light" from one sentence to another thinking it meant the same thing?

Your recent pastes show this as the passage in the book
Quote:
In fact, it can be demonstrated at the birth of a child that no
object is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes
because
nothing is impinging on the optic nerve to cause it, although any
number of sounds, tastes, touches or smells can get an immediate
reaction since the nerve endings are being struck by something
external.
Other than light is not there in the current version, it is in the other sentence. Other than light does not seem to appear in the other sentence in your earlier pastes. You seem to have placed it incorrectly after you "found" it.
Hey, I am keeping this quote thanks to you all. I found it in his book, "View From The Mountain Top", but I had no idea it would become an issue. That means that I have to include both of his quotes so people will know that this was his wording, not mine. :(
So which book is correct? Lessans completely contradicts himself with these two passages. Did he believe "no object", or did he believe "no object other than light"?

Your position gets more stupid every time you play apologetics, you know?
That sentence is very clear unless you are looking for something that isn't there.
It's very clear. The problem is he now appears to have written two versions of it. So if it's so clear, tell us: did he mean no object, or no object other than light?
He said no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes because nothing is impinging on the optic nerve to cause it. It is clear in this example that light is impinging on the optic nerve, but it is not bringing information from the object to the eye that would allow the infant to show any kind of recognition like it shows when it hears a loud sound.
So when he said no object, he was wrong? He should have said no object, other than light - right?
That's what he said.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Did you move the "other than light" from one sentence to another thinking it meant the same thing?

Quote:
because
external.
Other than light is not there in the current version, it is in the other sentence. Other than light does not seem to appear in the other sentence in your earlier pastes. You seem to have placed it incorrectly after you "found" it.
The reason it wasn't there is because I took the sentence from another book. Each book was slightly different in some passages, but they meant the same thing. In this version, it said no object, OTHER THAN LIGHT, is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes...

And what about the other sentence? Did you find a book that said "nothing, other than light, impinges on the optic nerve"?
Thanks, from:
But (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm giving you what I know to be true. I believe there is a tremendous amount of evidence that he is right when it comes to how conscience functions.
You haven't given me squat. It is possible that you really are so delusional that you think there is "a tremendous amount of evidence" supporting Lessans' claims about conscience. But this doesn't change the fact that neither you nor he have ever presented any whatsoever.

Quote:

Quote:
These were his observations whether you see it or not. These observations are spot on because he was extremely perceptive and was able to see the common theme running through many historical accounts. He saw that people need a justification and he showed what happens when there is none. This knowledge is falsifiable, but you'll have to wait until it can be confirmed empirically. If that's not good enough, there's nothing I can do about it.
You're right, it's not good enough and there isn't anything you can do about it. And that is why his non-discovery will continue to be rejected by everyone. No-one has any reason to believe that he was extremely perceptive, or able to see common themes, so no-one has any reason to believe that his 'observations' were spot on. Claiming that he just 'saw' that people need a justification does not in any way support his claims.

All one can ever observe is the actual occurrence of specific events. No-one can directly observe either modal claims (justifications are always necessary) or universal claims (that all justifications are of three types). These can only be inferred from observation, and Lessans never provides any direct observations, and does nothing at all to support his claims about conscience.

Quote:
I told you I had already done that, but would do so again if you retracted your false charge that I had contradicted myself. You refused. Compatibilism is consistent because it doesn't say that we both have and do not have free will. It says only that having the freedom to choose without compulsion or coercion and to be able to act in accordance with one's choices is all that is needed for one to be morally responsible for one's actions. It says that contra-causal free will is not the only kind of free will, and that it is not the kind needed to make us morally responsible beings that can be justly praised or blamed for our actions. If you see some kind of contradiction here, then the burden is upon you to identify it.
Bump.

Are you ever going to provide any support for your claim that under his changed conditions justification will always be needed to cause harm to another?

Bump.

Try READING the above post, Peacegirl.
Being morally responsible for one's actions is exactly what takes place when we learn the truth of our nature --- that man's will is not free. I've said this countless times. This knowledge brings moral responsibility up to the highest level, but not through blame. You do not understand the two-sided equation even a little bit Spacemonkey.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
because
external.
Hey, I am keeping this quote thanks to you all. I found it in his book, "View From The Mountain Top", but I had no idea it would become an issue. That means that I have to include both of his quotes so people will know that this was his wording, not mine. :(
So which book is correct? Lessans completely contradicts himself with these two passages. Did he believe "no object", or did he believe "no object other than light"?

Your position gets more stupid every time you play apologetics, you know?
That sentence is very clear unless you are looking for something that isn't there.
It's very clear. The problem is he now appears to have written two versions of it. So if it's so clear, tell us: did he mean no object, or no object other than light?
He said no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes because nothing is impinging on the optic nerve to cause it. It is clear in this example that light is impinging on the optic nerve, but it is not bringing information from the object to the eye that would allow the infant to show any kind of recognition like it shows when it hears a loud sound.
So when he said no object, he was wrong? He should have said no object, other than light - right?
That's what he said.
He said both. One of them is wrong. Which of his statements is the correct one?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Being morally responsible for one's actions is exactly what takes place when we learn the truth of our nature --- that man's will is not free. I've said this countless times. This knowledge brings moral responsibility up to the highest level, but not through blame. You do not understand the two-sided equation even a little bit Spacemonkey.
What does this have to do with my post? Have you actually read it yet? Do you intend to provide any kind of proper response?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't see the difference. I may have accidentally left it out, I'm not sure. I know that I didn't add anything extra that he himself did not include.

versus

Now tell me, did it ever
Quote:
You're such a halfwit. That's not even the comparison you're being asked about. There are TWO versions of BOTH of these passages. In each case there is a version WITH the words "other than light" and one without it.

Quote:
And I already explained to you the difference in meaning between the above two passages: He said in the second passage that only light can get a reaction from a baby's eyes, and that absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Your edited first passage instead says that only light impinges on the optic nerve from the external world. Those are two completely different and incompatible meanings. One says that light impinges on the optic nerve, while the other does not.
I answered this already. When he said absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve to cause it, it referred back to the word "object."

Why would he say something as insane as "no object impinges on the optic nerve"? Did he think someone believed that lamps and yo-yos entered the eyes to impinge on the optic nerve?

Are you serious with this shit?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing, other than light, needs to make contact with the nerve endings in the eye in order for the eyes to be a sense organ. The standard model of sight states that light is the external stimuli that is received by specialized receptors, making it a sense according to the definition of sense. Lessans agreed with the standard definition of sense regarding the other senses. So Lessans ALSO agrees with the standard model of sight is what you are saying?
No, you missed the entire point he was making.
I didn't. His point was very clear and I've interpreted it correctly.

You are just trying to correct his misconception now, because it is so glaring.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
When he said "Nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve..." he was expressing a meaningful difference he thought existed between the eyes and the other sense organs, which is what he was trying to do in that passage. He was stating that external stimuli was received by receptors the other sense organs, but that no external stimuli was received by receptors in the eye. The sentence made sense in that context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Light is something from the external world, so he had to qualify what he meant by saying "other than light." But the light does not carry information through space/time.
So? His whole argument was that the eyes are not a sense organ because sense organs use specialized receptors to receive stimuli from the external world.

The eyes sense light using specialized receptors. That makes the eyes a sense organ by the very definition of sense organ Lessans used.

You are such a weasel, trying to twist what he said.

Quote:
Quote:
By adding "other than light", the sentence now reads that there is no difference between the eyes and other sense organs in this aspect, because something from the external world does strike nerve endings in all of them. So what would be the point of that entire passage if he knew that light impinges on the optic nerve?
Quote:
He qualified that for good reason. He said, other than light, nothing from the external world... Light is from the external world but it does not travel through space/time with any information from a previous event or object. He was totally correct in saying "other than light." This does not mean that it's like the other sense organs.
You are adding concepts he made no mention of at all. You are twisting what he said. If he meant all that convoluted crap you are reading into his plainly stated words, why didn't he say that?

The addition of "other than light" in that particular place, completely changed the meaning of the sentence and negated the point he was making.

Quote:
Quote:
Without the insertion of "other than light" Lessans explanation made sense with what he was expressing. With those words inserted, he negates his whole argument. You say he was very smart, if so, how would he have made such a stupid mistake?
Quote:
You don't know what in the world you're talking about. LadyShea, you are putting your foot in your mouth. You think you caught him in a mistake, but you failed again! :glare:
I know exactly what I am talking about. You got caught trying to correct his misconception and you made it worse because now it looks internally contradictory.

He was wrong, but consistent before you added the words "other than light".

Quote:
Quote:
The question is, did Lessans negate his own argument idiotically, did you add the words because you didn't understand how it changed his whole meaning, or did Lessans think light was not "something from the external world"?
Quote:
That is why he inserted it LadyShea. But light traveling away from the object does not contain information (wavelengths and frequencies of a distant object).
Why you bringing wavelengths into it? He said nothing about that.

And, you're wrong anyway, we have machines that can detect and measure the wavelengths of light as they are reflected or absorbed by objects.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ.
Lessans made a completely false statement in this passage.
Quote:
I answered this.
You evaded it. You never answered it. Do you admit it was an incorrect statement...yes or no?

Quote:
Quote:
Do you admit he was wrong?
Quote:
No. In fact, I am more convinced he is right than ever.
So you are convinced that there are no photoreceptors (which are afferent neurons) in the eyes?

Quote:
Quote:
The dictionary states that the word ‘sense’ is defined as
any of certain agencies by or through which an individual receives
impressions of the external world; popularly, one of the five senses.
Any receptor, or group of receptors, specialized to receive and
transmit external stimuli as of sight, taste, hearing, etc.
So, Lessans seems to agree with the dictionary definition of sense, and then goes on to state that this definition does not apply to the eyes....
because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.

He clearly thought that the eyes were different anatomically and functionally. He seemed to think the eyes did not contain receptors. They do. He seemed to think NOTHING from the external world entered the eye. When you added (except for light) you made it make even less sense, because you negated the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses.
Quote:
He said nothing about receptors. He was talking about the optic nerve. He was right when he said nothing, other than light, strikes the optic nerve. That means that light does not bounce off of objects and travel through space/time where it would be received and interpreted by the brain as an image.
Lessans said nothing (you added "other than light"), and he made no mention at all of reflection. What you are doing is reinterpreting what he said to make it fit the facts you have since become aware of.

You think it's okay to just make shit up that he didn't even say. Your explanation doesn't even make sense in the context of the passage being reviewed.

You are so dishonest....just like a fundie in every way.

Quote:
Quote:
He said there were no afferent nerve endings in the eye. Photoreceptors are afferent neurons. He was wrong.
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you because you think you caught him in a mistake. I think he's right and empirical evidence will bear this out one day.
You think there are no photoreceptors in the eyes? You think photoreceptors are not afferent? Exactly what part of that statement do you think is right and how is it right?

Quote:
Quote:
He didn't say that nothing entered the eye because he said that light strikes the optic nerve.
Quote:
Not originally he didn't. You added that. Originally he said

because nothing from the external world strikes the optic nerve as stimuli do upon the organs of hearing, taste, touch and smell.
Quote:
His book says, other than light, so why are you accusing him of not putting this in his book? What is your problem LadyShea? You're no Sherlock Holmes
You missed those words in the book for at least 3 years. You quoted the passage in 2003 and again in 2006 WITHOUT the words "other than light" in that sentence.

You are so full of shit. You suddenly at some point found these three words you missed, but you can't find today in which book they were? Is that passage in his recordings? Did he use "other than light" then? Was it in his published books some of which are available for purchase?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't get your last sentence at all. Where did I negate the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses?
Quote:
By adding "other than light" you negated the point he was making. He was clearly saying that the eyes didn't receive stimuli from the outside world, and that there were no sensory neurons in the eye. He stated it plainly! The one time he was clear as crystal, you start re-interpreting and adding words
Quote:
I did not add words, dam it. Why do you keep accusing me of this?
Because you did it.

Quote:
Quote:
The only difference is the senses are receiving and transmitting external stimuli to the brain. He did not believe that light has the same properties as other external stimuli because patterns don't travel through space and time, so how can light work like the other senses?
Quote:
This shit about traveling images/patterns is a strawman. It is stupid and incorrect. You've stated how many times that you understand that images don;t travel, so why do you revert to it every 5 seconds?
Quote:
Don't play these games with me. You know full well that scientists believe that if we were far enough away and in the right location, we would see a past event as far back as Columbus discovering America.
Which has nothing to do with images traveling.

Light travels. Light detectors form images from light.

Quote:
This means light, according to their logic, is traveling with the frequency and wavelength that would turn up as a past image in the brain, a mirror, or on film.
Light is traveling with a wavelength because traveling and wavelength are both immutable properties of light. If it wasn't traveling, or didn't have a wavelength, it wouldn't be light.

Light detectors, like cameras and eyes, can detect light. And yes, images can be created from light as can be demonstrated with a photograph, perhaps you've seen one?

Still nothing about traveling images.

Quote:
Quote:
Sound doesn't travel, taste doesn't travel, odor doesn't travel. Light travels. Chemical compounds travel. Soundwaves (vibrations) travel. The external stimuli all travel.

Light is an external stimuli that is received by specialized afferent receptors in the eye. According to the definition Lessans accepted of a sense organ, the eyes are a sense organ.

Light is different than chemical compounds which are different than air vibrations. Each receptor is specialized to interact with a specific stimuli. So if the eyes aren't a sense organ, than neither are any of the other sense organs.

Where is this big difference in the eyes you seem to think exists?
Quote:
How can we interpret an image if there is no pattern to be interpreted?
Quote:
This is gibberish...once again you are using the stupid strawman of traveling images, except you've changed it to patterns.

The light that is received by the photoreceptors is interpreted into an image. Just as the vibrations that are received by the mechanorecpetors in the ear are interpreted into sound, and the chemical compounds received by the chemoreceptors in the nose are interpreted into odors.
No response to this, huh? You never evade though.

[/QUOTE]

bump
Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We cross-posted. I removed the term 'half-wit' from my post after reading your request.
I'm glad that you admit it's not right to be calling me names at this late date. I could accept it early on, but I cannot accept it now. You should know by now that I'm not a liar or a fake. If you don't, we can end the conversation.

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. That's just you trying to reinterpret his words. The passage where he had the words "other than light" does not explicitly state that light impinges on the optic nerve. It makes an exception for what can get a reaction from a baby, but it does not make an exception for what is striking the optic nerve. Maybe you think that is what he really meant, or what he had intended to write, but that is an interpretation on your part and it is not what he actually wrote.
It is implicit in the phrase if you understood anything at all he wrote. I have no problem putting this phrase in the book (which I did) along with the more direct quote --- other than light impinging on the optic nerve.

Quote:
"Absolutely nothing" means just that. It does not allow for light as an exception. And it doesn't make any sense to think these words referred back to the word 'object' such that he really meant only that absolutely no objects of vision impinge on the optic nerve. That would be a ridiculous strawman. Who has ever thought that the eyes being a sense organ would require a car to drive right into your eyes before you could see it?
Do you speak English? This absolutely refers back to the first part of the sentence. No, he did not imply that a car would have to drive right into your eyes. All that is required is for the car to be within your visual range, which is very different from your scenario which is based on afferent vision, the very thing that is being disputed. :sadcheer:

Quote:
Anyway, it is not even what you were being asked about, which is why there are two versions of both passages.
Huh? There are two versions because he changed his wording from time to time, but that did not change the concept at all. You are grasping at anything you can to try to prove him wrong, just like others in here. But it can't be done if he isn't wrong. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you? You cannot bring him down because HE IS NOT WRONG SPACEMONKEY! DEAL WITH IT!!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Calling you a hypocrite was not an expletive and it was not a lie. Like I said, it is blatantly hypocritical to complain of others allegedly not conscientiously reading Lessans' book when you can't even be bothered to actually read the posts you are replying to. What part of this do you disagree with? Why is it not perfectly accurate for me to call you a hypocrite on this point? Btw, it is also hypocritical of you to accuse me of lying.
I read the posts I am replying to, and I will say again that you do not understand these principles one iota. I do not like being called a hypocrite and a liar, so please stop it or we don't have to continue the conversation.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing, other than light, needs to make contact with the nerve endings in the eye in order for the eyes to be a sense organ. The standard model of sight states that light is the external stimuli that is received by specialized receptors, making it a sense according to the definition of sense. Lessans agreed with the standard definition of sense regarding the other senses. So Lessans ALSO agrees with the standard model of sight is what you are saying?
No, you missed the entire point he was making.
I didn't. His point was very clear and I've interpreted it correctly.

You are just trying to correct his misconception now, because it is so glaring.
Quote:
Quote:
When he said "Nothing from the external world impinges on the optic nerve..." he was expressing a meaningful difference he thought existed between the eyes and the other sense organs, which is what he was trying to do in that passage. He was stating that external stimuli was received by receptors the other sense organs, but that no external stimuli was received by receptors in the eye. The sentence made sense in that context.
Quote:
Light is something from the external world, so he had to qualify what he meant by saying "other than light." But the light does not carry information through space/time.
So? His whole argument was that the eyes are not a sense organ because sense organs use specialized receptors to receive stimuli from the external world.

The eyes sense light using specialized receptors. That makes the eyes a sense organ by the very definition of sense organ Lessans used.

You are such a weasel, trying to twist what he said.

Quote:
Quote:
By adding "other than light", the sentence now reads that there is no difference between the eyes and other sense organs in this aspect, because something from the external world does strike nerve endings in all of them. So what would be the point of that entire passage if he knew that light impinges on the optic nerve?
Quote:
He qualified that for good reason. He said, other than light, nothing from the external world... Light is from the external world but it does not travel through space/time with any information from a previous event or object. He was totally correct in saying "other than light." This does not mean that it's like the other sense organs.
You are adding concepts he made no mention of at all. You are twisting what he said. If he meant all that convoluted crap you are reading into his plainly stated words, why didn't he say that?

The addition of "other than light" in that particular place, completely changed the meaning of the sentence and negated the point he was making.

Quote:
Quote:
Without the insertion of "other than light" Lessans explanation made sense with what he was expressing. With those words inserted, he negates his whole argument. You say he was very smart, if so, how would he have made such a stupid mistake?
Quote:
You don't know what in the world you're talking about. LadyShea, you are putting your foot in your mouth. You think you caught him in a mistake, but you failed again! :glare:
I know exactly what I am talking about. You got caught trying to correct his misconception and you made it worse because now it looks internally contradictory.

He was wrong, but consistent before you added the words "other than light".

Quote:
Quote:
The question is, did Lessans negate his own argument idiotically, did you add the words because you didn't understand how it changed his whole meaning, or did Lessans think light was not "something from the external world"?
Quote:
That is why he inserted it LadyShea. But light traveling away from the object does not contain information (wavelengths and frequencies of a distant object).
Why you bringing wavelengths into it? He said nothing about that.

And, you're wrong anyway, we have machines that can detect and measure the wavelengths of light as they are reflected or absorbed by objects.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ.
Lessans made a completely false statement in this passage.
Quote:
I answered this.
You evaded it. You never answered it. Do you admit it was an incorrect statement...yes or no?

Quote:
Quote:
Do you admit he was wrong?
Quote:
No. In fact, I am more convinced he is right than ever.
So you are convinced that there are no photoreceptors (which are afferent neurons) in the eyes?

Quote:
Quote:
The dictionary states that the word ‘sense’ is defined as
any of certain agencies by or through which an individual receives
impressions of the external world; popularly, one of the five senses.
Any receptor, or group of receptors, specialized to receive and
transmit external stimuli as of sight, taste, hearing, etc.
So, Lessans seems to agree with the dictionary definition of sense, and then goes on to state that this definition does not apply to the eyes....

He clearly thought that the eyes were different anatomically and functionally. He seemed to think the eyes did not contain receptors. They do. He seemed to think NOTHING from the external world entered the eye. When you added (except for light) you made it make even less sense, because you negated the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses.
Quote:
He said nothing about receptors. He was talking about the optic nerve. He was right when he said nothing, other than light, strikes the optic nerve. That means that light does not bounce off of objects and travel through space/time where it would be received and interpreted by the brain as an image.
Lessans said nothing (you added "other than light"), and he made no mention at all of reflection. What you are doing is reinterpreting what he said to make it fit the facts you have since become aware of.

You think it's okay to just make shit up that he didn't even say. Your explanation doesn't even make sense in the context of the passage being reviewed.

You are so dishonest....just like a fundie in every way.

Quote:
Quote:
He said there were no afferent nerve endings in the eye. Photoreceptors are afferent neurons. He was wrong.
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you because you think you caught him in a mistake. I think he's right and empirical evidence will bear this out one day.
You think there are no photoreceptors in the eyes? You think photoreceptors are not afferent? Exactly what part of that statement do you think is right and how is it right?

Quote:
Quote:
He didn't say that nothing entered the eye because he said that light strikes the optic nerve.
Quote:
Not originally he didn't. You added that. Originally he said

Quote:
His book says, other than light, so why are you accusing him of not putting this in his book? What is your problem LadyShea? You're no Sherlock Holmes
You missed those words in the book for at least 3 years. You quoted the passage in 2003 and again in 2006 WITHOUT the words "other than light" in that sentence.

You are so full of shit. You suddenly at some point found these three words you missed, but you can't find today in which book they were? Is that passage in his recordings? Did he use "other than light" then? Was it in his published books some of which are available for purchase?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't get your last sentence at all. Where did I negate the only difference Lessans thought existed between the eyes and the other senses?
Quote:
By adding "other than light" you negated the point he was making. He was clearly saying that the eyes didn't receive stimuli from the outside world, and that there were no sensory neurons in the eye. He stated it plainly! The one time he was clear as crystal, you start re-interpreting and adding words
Quote:
I did not add words, dam it. Why do you keep accusing me of this?
Because you did it.

Quote:
Quote:
The only difference is the senses are receiving and transmitting external stimuli to the brain. He did not believe that light has the same properties as other external stimuli because patterns don't travel through space and time, so how can light work like the other senses?
Quote:
This shit about traveling images/patterns is a strawman. It is stupid and incorrect. You've stated how many times that you understand that images don;t travel, so why do you revert to it every 5 seconds?
Quote:
Don't play these games with me. You know full well that scientists believe that if we were far enough away and in the right location, we would see a past event as far back as Columbus discovering America.
Which has nothing to do with images traveling.

Light travels. Light detectors form images from light.

Quote:
This means light, according to their logic, is traveling with the frequency and wavelength that would turn up as a past image in the brain, a mirror, or on film.
Light is traveling with a wavelength because traveling and wavelength are both immutable properties of light. If it wasn't traveling, or didn't have a wavelength, it wouldn't be light.

Light detectors, like cameras and eyes, can detect light. And yes, images can be created from light as can be demonstrated with a photograph, perhaps you've seen one?

Still nothing about traveling images.

Quote:
Quote:
Sound doesn't travel, taste doesn't travel, odor doesn't travel. Light travels. Chemical compounds travel. Soundwaves (vibrations) travel. The external stimuli all travel.

Light is an external stimuli that is received by specialized afferent receptors in the eye. According to the definition Lessans accepted of a sense organ, the eyes are a sense organ.

Light is different than chemical compounds which are different than air vibrations. Each receptor is specialized to interact with a specific stimuli. So if the eyes aren't a sense organ, than neither are any of the other sense organs.

Where is this big difference in the eyes you seem to think exists?
Quote:
How can we interpret an image if there is no pattern to be interpreted?
Quote:
This is gibberish...once again you are using the stupid strawman of traveling images, except you've changed it to patterns.

The light that is received by the photoreceptors is interpreted into an image. Just as the vibrations that are received by the mechanorecpetors in the ear are interpreted into sound, and the chemical compounds received by the chemoreceptors in the nose are interpreted into odors.
No response to this, huh? You never evade though.
I hope you have the humility to apologize when you find out that he did write "other than light" in his books. I might have missed this phrase because there were probably sentences that did not have these words. All I know is that I did not add "other than light", to correct something he did. He wrote these words. You are so arrogant I don't think you could ever say I'm sorry.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

versus

Now tell me, did it ever
Quote:

Quote:
I answered this already. When he said absolutely nothing impinges on the optic nerve to cause it, it referred back to the word "object."

Why would he say something as insane as "no object impinges on the optic nerve"? Did he think someone believed that lamps and yo-yos entered the eyes to impinge on the optic nerve?

Where did he say that? He said: ...no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes because nothing is impinging on the optic nerve to cause it. That is true.

There is no light being reflected whereby the infant would show a response since no image is impinging on the optic nerve and being interpreted by the brain, as in the other senses. Light is impinging on the optic nerve, that is true, which is why he said "other than light." Once again, he is making a distinction between light which causes the pupils to dilate and contract, and light which brings information (the the form of an image) to the infant's brain which would cause a reaction.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I read the posts I am replying to, and I will say again that you do not understand these principles one iota. I do not like being called a hypocrite and a liar, so please stop it or we don't have to continue the conversation.
You just lied again. You replied to my post yesterday without having read it. I know this because you replied by demanding that I explain exactly what the post you were replying to clearly explained. You replied to the post without reading it. That was hypocritical. And now you are lying about it. If you don't like being called a hypocrite and a liar, then you need to stop lying and being hypocritical. And if you were capable of ending this conversation you would have done so long ago. Also, every time you reply by telling someone they don't understand Lessans at all - without actually correcting them on anything - then you are weaseling. By all means, correct us if we appear to have misunderstood him or you on some specific point, but replying only to say that we just don't understand is a pointless weaseling self-defense mechanism you use to avoid addressing objections and to rationalize to yourself why no-one agrees with his claims.
Angakuk (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that you admit it's not right to be calling me names at this late date. I could accept it early on, but I cannot accept it now. You should know by now that I'm not a liar or a fake. If you don't, we can end the conversation.
I don't think you are a fake, but you most certainly are a liar. You lie constantly. I don't think you can help it. If you think you are capable of ending this conversation then go right ahead.

Quote:
It is implicit in the phrase if you understood anything at all he wrote. I have no problem putting this phrase in the book (which I did) along with the more direct quote --- other than light impinging on the optic nerve.
It is not 'implicit in the phrase' at all. He wrote what he wrote, but you wish he wrote something else - something a little less obviously wrong. He never said or implied that light impinges on the optic nerve. Not once. You made him say that by editing his words.

Quote:
Do you speak English? This absolutely refers back to the first part of the sentence. No, he did not imply that a car would have to drive right into your eyes. All that is required is for the car to be within your visual range, which is very different from your scenario which is based on afferent vision, the very thing that is being disputed.
The interpretation you are insisting upon, in your attempt to justify your botched editing, has Lessans denying that the eyes are sense organs by arguing against the idea that the objects of vision themselves to travel into the eye to strike the receptors. Lessans said "absolutely nothing" impinges on the optic nerve. You say that this is referring back to the word 'object' such that he really meant that no objects of vision impinge on the optic nerve. But that is a stupid thing for him to say. No-one has ever believed that objects themselves travel into the eye to be seen, and it is no more required than having objects travel into your ears to be heard. Why would he be saying that objects themselves don't impinge on the optic nerve? Did he think anyone has ever thought they do? Or that this is what the eyes being a sense organ would require? Your interpretation makes him look even more ridiculous than he already does.

Quote:
Huh? There are two versions because he changed his wording from time to time, but that did not change the concept at all. You are grasping at anything you can to try to prove him wrong, just like others in here. But it can't be done if he isn't wrong. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you? You cannot bring him down because HE IS NOT WRONG SPACEMONKEY! DEAL WITH IT!!
I don't have to deal with your made up facts. Lessans was dead wrong - about a wide range of things - and you can't deal with it, even on the points you know he was wrong about (e.g. no afferent nerve endings in the eyes). On the present point, we want to know why the words "other than light" disappeared from the one passage and reappeared in the other passage. It looks like you realized he was wrong about there being nothing from the external world impinging upon the receptors in the eye, found him saying "other than light" in another passage (which you wrongly thought to be making an exception for light striking the receptors), and then tried to copy the phrase from the one passage into the other, not realizing that you were changing his meaning, and then accidentally managing to delete the phrase from its original location as you copied it over. Do you have any better explanation for why the phrase appears in the one passage while disappearing from the other?
Angakuk (11-07-2012), Dragar (11-06-2012), LadyShea (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Bump.

Bump.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I hope you have the humility to apologize when you find out that he did write "other than light" in his books. .
You found "other than light" in a completely different sentence and different context than the one that was originally under discussion.

Did you find the book with "other than light" in the passage that starts with the definition of sense organs? Did you figure out how by adding it to that passage you negated the whole differentiation he was trying to make?

I will not apologize. I think you are lying
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-07-2012), But (11-07-2012), Dragar (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Where did he say that? He said: ...no object, other than light, is capable of getting a reaction from the eyes because nothing is impinging on the optic nerve to cause it. That is true.

There is no light being reflected whereby the infant would show a response since no image is impinging on the optic nerve and being interpreted by the brain, as in the other senses. Light is impinging on the optic nerve, that is true, which is why he said "other than light." Once again, he is making a distinction between light which causes the pupils to dilate and contract, and light which brings information (the the form of an image) to the infant's brain which would cause a reaction.
Nobody thinks images impinge on anything. Light enters the eye and causes a reaction with the photoreceptors. Not images, just light. How many times do you have to be corrected before you can remember not to use this idiotic strawman?

Light is light, so what on Earth could he be differentiating between? Are you now saying that light has different properties than it is known and proven to have?

Are you prepared to directly confront the laws of physics now? Let's start with the properties of light as is known for a fact and as was believed by Lessans.

How does the "object" fit in here? What do you mean that "nothing" refers to the "object"? What object are you talking about?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-07-2012), Dragar (11-07-2012), Spacemonkey (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
There is no light being reflected
Why not? Reflected from what?

Quote:
whereby the infant would show a response
They respond to light, according to you and Lessans

Quote:
since no image is impinging on the optic nerve and being interpreted by the brain
Duh! Nobody said images impinge on the optic nerve in the first place...stupid ass strawman, remember?

Quote:
as in the other senses.
What? Of course images do not impinge on the optic nerve in the other senses. What comparison were you trying to make here?

Stimuli are received by specialized receptors in all of the senses, which is the definition of sense even according to Lessans, and this is absolutely true of the eyes. What difference are you completely failing to convey here?

Quote:
Light is impinging on the optic nerve, that is true, which is why he said "other than light."
That is all that is required for the eyes to be a sense organ according to the definition.

Quote:
Once again, he is making a distinction between light which causes the pupils to dilate and contract, and light which brings information (the the form of an image) to the infant's brain which would cause a reaction.
Changing the laws of physics...go!

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy