Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium

Old 01-21-2015, 10:59 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: How's the fucking weather where you are?

I am more :shakemosquito:

:mosquitobite:
Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

I'm shaking the snow we're having here. You just happen to sneaky prebefore post before I did.
Thanks, from:
Janet (01-22-2015), lisarea (01-21-2015), SR71 (01-22-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherMan View Post
:fixed:

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (01-22-2015), curses (01-22-2015), Ymir's blood (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 AM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

lol they threatened snow on Monday and now it's gonna be sunny. TAKE THAT, WINTER!
One for Sorrow (01-22-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 AM

Holy mackerel!

So a little over an hour ago, I look outside and there's a little slushy rain coming down. Not much, no big deal.

Maybe ten minutes after that, I need to run out real quick, and.

BLIZZARD.

Straight up blizzard. In those few minutes, I already had a maybe half an inch accumulation on the car, so I had to brush it off. It went quickly because there wasn't any underlying ice to scrape or anything--just swoosh, swoosh--and by the time I make it around the car, IT HAS REACCUMULATED so I just re-do the windshield and go.

So I drive a few blocks and it's totally whited out, like maybe half a block visibility at the clearest points, and it's doing that starfield thing like on the Star Tracks with the snow coming at you and you can hardly see anything else. And in just a few blocks, I accumulate some new big piles of snow and have to get out and brush those off, and then I'm on my way home and turn off the main street, and THERE IS A FUCKING DUDE RUNNING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET right toward me. Like remember about the visibility? And also this was a surprise storm, so the streets are not treated, and it's icy.

I mean, I am the queen of snow driving because a) I learned to drive on ice, and b) if there is ever a super ridiculous weather situation coming out of nowhere, odds are like 80% I have to drive in it, so I have experience. Fucker's lucky it was me. Every other dumbass on the road was fishtailing all over the place and stuff. I AM THE ONLY GOOD DRIVER.

We were supposed to go see a movie tomorrow (Floating Weeds! On a big screen!), but if this keeps up, it's looking like not.

That weird blizzard really cheered me up, though. I needed that.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (02-26-2015), curses (02-02-2015), Dingfod (02-01-2015), Ensign Steve (02-01-2015), Janet (02-06-2015), JoeP (02-01-2015), livius drusus (02-21-2015), Sock Puppet (02-02-2015), Watser? (02-01-2015), Ymir's blood (02-02-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:45 AM

LOL we are getting a snowstorm, they're saying maybe a foot or foot and a half over the weekend. So I go to the grocery store where TLM works and just do the basic shopping I would normally do on the weekend, plus milk so I can make hot cocoa because that is nice to have when it's snowy out. And it is the busiest I think I've ever seen it there. The best part was that the garlic was the first to go--the store was completely out by yesterday afternoon, before the Post Garlic America of today. (I already had a couple heads, so I do not care yet.)

So I'm in the unusually long checkout line, and the guy in front of me turns around and is like "Busy, huh?" and I'm like, "Yep, we're all doing our panic buying today!" and he's like, "Oh, no, I'm not. I was going to shop anyway!" so I'm like, "Okay" or something like that.

So later, TLM tells me a) they did $300K in business just on the shift he worked, which is 3x what a normal weekend is, and probably double a holiday weekend, b) several customers complained to him about all those other people panic buying because this is Colorado and we are used to this, and they themselves were simply doing their normal shopping.

He also said they are now out of all the normal things like milk and eggs, which is not as funny as when they were just out of garlic.

So anyways, the weather is that it is snowing. I thought you would like to know.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (02-21-2015), Corona688 (02-21-2015), Crumb (02-22-2015), curses (02-21-2015), Dingfod (02-21-2015), Janet (02-23-2015), JoeP (02-21-2015), livius drusus (02-21-2015), slimshady2357 (02-21-2015), Sock Puppet (02-23-2015), SR71 (02-22-2015), Watser? (02-25-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Forum Killer

Are you sure it's just a lot of snow, not vampires?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:26 PM

That must be it, because as of this morning, our snowmageddon consisted of about 1" accumulation on the grassy areas and damp sidewalks.

Then, I look on our local paper, and there's some dillweed saying, "Don't get too comfortable! It's going to snow more! Just like we said!" which is just adding insult to injury. THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU SAID, LIAR.

I was feeling so cheated I went out and got myself a banh mi. (And the Asian market has plenty of garlic, so there's clearly some sort of conspiracy afoot.)
Thanks, from:
curses (02-21-2015), Janet (02-23-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:47 AM
A fellow sophisticate

:oldman:
JoeP (02-22-2015), lisarea (02-22-2015), Stormlight (03-02-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 05:01 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Around here all the crazy people buy the stores out of Bread, Milk, and Eggs, just what you need to make "French Toast" for the winter storm? The one local TV station weather man gauges a storm by the "Breadometer", which is how many loaves you need to get through the storm, just a bit of a joke, for the sensible people watching.

PS. Garlic is good, in case there are vampires hiding in the snow.
lisarea (02-26-2015), Stormlight (03-02-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 AM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

It has been record cold around here. It went down to -25F on Thursday night. When I went to work Friday morning it was still -13. I wanted to call in and just day "Thirteen below, are you kidding me?" But I went in and learned that one of the library's furnaces wasn't working. Turns out a metal part in the blower flat out cracked in half. We closed at noon, stayed closed on Saturday and I still don't know if they were able to find the part. Much as I enjoyed extra time off, I would rather not have the bump in my heating bill.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
JoeP (02-23-2015), SR71 (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Banned for copyright violations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
It has been record cold around here. It went down to -25F on Thursday night. When I went to work Friday morning it was still -13. I wanted to call in and just day "Thirteen below, are you kidding me?" But I went in and learned that one of the library's furnaces wasn't working. Turns out a metal part in the blower flat out cracked in half. We closed at noon, stayed closed on Saturday and I still don't know if they were able to find the part. Much as I enjoyed extra time off, I would rather not have the bump in my heating bill.

that's cold.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:55 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

It's been a very dry February. Actually it has been a dry winter. The last I heard snow pack in the Cascades was only 13% of normal. Unless this spring is unseasonably cold and wet we are in for a tough summer.
SR71 (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Sigh Re: How's the fucking weather where you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehava View Post
It's been a very dry February. Actually it has been a dry winter. The last I heard snow pack in the Cascades was only 13% of normal. Unless this spring is unseasonably cold and wet we are in for a tough summer.
Yes, indeed...the skiers are whining majorly. I'm more concerned about what a long dry year will lead to come this September and October...forest fire season. And then, since most of our fresh drinking water comes to us from snowmelt, there's that to worry about, too.

In the mean time, it's sunny and unseasonably warm and dry. Puddle City is pretty much puddle-free.
SR71 (02-26-2015), Zehava (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

I
AM
FREEZING
MY
BALLS
OFF

I've been freezing my balls off since fucking November

Why is it so fucking cold

UGHHHH
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 AM
Dissonance is its own reward

Seriously at this point 20 degrees (F) is "a warm day"

This is fucked up

Help
SR71 (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 AM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Quote:
Yes, indeed...the skiers are whining majorly. I'm more concerned about what a long dry year will lead to come this September and October...forest fire season. And then, since most of our fresh drinking water comes to us from snowmelt, there's that to worry about, too.

In the mean time, it's sunny and unseasonably warm and dry. Puddle City is pretty much puddle-free.
I can definitely see where we may have to deal with water rationing this summer. Fire season, of course, is also a major concern.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
A fellow sophisticate

Still stuck on the weather-coaster. Yesterday it was 55ºF (12.8ºC). Today, if we're lucky, it will get up to 30ºF (-1.1ºC). Tomorrow and through the weekend might top out at 26ºF (-3.3ºC).
Old 02-26-2015, 04:46 PM
rude, crude, lewd, and unsophisticated

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfry n. glad View Post
Quote:

I can definitely see where we may have to deal with water rationing this summer. Fire season, of course, is also a major concern.
In the mean time, it's overcast today and forecasting a sunny weekend; temps in the 50s. The daffodils are in full glory and the ornamental and fruiting plums are blooming, fer crepes sake. It's February!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM

I don't know how it is possible for this to continue to surprise me, but we've been rollercoastering, so it snows, then gets up to about 70F, then snows again, gets warm again, etc.

That last storm did end up leaving a little over a foot of snow (although considerably later than they'd predicted), then it got too warm to wear a jacket and it was almost all melted off, and now we're back in the teens and snowing again. It just started coming down pretty hard again.

I don't know how I'm always so incredulous. This happens all the time, but I don't ever really believe it when it's warm out one day and they say it's going to snow tomorrow, like I have this goldfish memory and it seems totally implausible, even though I've seen it happen six or seven billion times.
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (02-26-2015), Janet (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

I really hated the rollercoastering last year, but this weeks on weeks of endless cold is getting to me, too. It's 13F right now. The highest temperature in the forecast is 29F on Monday. I do not at all expect it to get above freezing anymore.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Old 04-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

Trailer park relocation Tornado season is upon us here in the not so great plains. I don't mind the weather as much as it comes between 12 and 2 am. And we have a dog that barks back at thunder and tries to warn us that something is happening outside.

So spring means we get to miss a couple of nights of good sleep a week. In the summer, the heat builds up quicker and storms let loose at more reasonable hours of the day.

It reminds me, I need to move some valuables to the basement storage area, make sure we have enough TP for 3 girls, and stock up on some popcorn and snacks.

:thunder:
:tornado:
Janet (04-02-2015), Watser? (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Fishy mokey

Oh yeah, it was kinda windy yesterday, but that turns out to have been a hurricane: Hurricane-strength winds pummel Europe, four killed
ImGod (04-01-2015), Janet (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

I picked a crappy year to go visit family in the LA area.

Prolly, ain't gonna be no water in the damned pool

TSA won't even let me bring some through the screening either.
Ari (04-02-2015), Janet (04-02-2015), JoeP (04-01-2015), lisarea (04-01-2015), Watser? (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 AM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

So wait, you mean terraforming a desert into one of the more populace places in California was a bad idea!?
Thanks, from:
Watser? (04-02-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium