Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
But learning language is an efferent process.
Huh? Now you're going to claim that we can't learn language unless we see in real-time? And your support for this is...?

How did the photons comprising that mirror image at the film get to the film, if they didn't travel there and didn't teleport there?

:weasel:
'Lessans book' should be an adequate answer for both questions?

:eek: Do you mean to say it isn't?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
You're lost because you're not thinking in terms of efferent vision whatsoever. You think you are but you're not because you're not considering the conditions that make real time seeing possible, and without violating the laws of physics. All you're doing is thinking in terms of photons bouncing off of objects which have to travel a certain distance to reach the eyes, and they can't get there without traveling, or else they're teleporting. That's all you keep saying.
So then help me to understand.

When we do think in terms of efferent vision, and when we do consider the conditions which (allegedly) make real time vision possible without violating the laws of physics, then how do the photons at the film get there without either traveling or teleporting there?
Spacemonkey! I'm surprised at you! Have you understood nothing? Maybe you need to go back to school, the advice that Her Royal Idiot gave to The Lone Ranger (!)

She has already answered this question. Her answer was:

Voila! We See!

:lol:
Old 03-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
I don't agree, sorry.
You have to stop just dropping unsupported claims like that. WHY not? What was wrong with the test?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
I myself have made the error of running around the corner of my house in the dark when my french mastiff Molly is out, and on occasion she challenges me as she would a stranger in her yard. It is not something you forget in a hurry! This has never happened during daylight hours, and I appear around corners suddenly all the time as I do my gardening, and I certainly do not wear the same clothing all the time.
Maybe she recognized your gait.
Remember Peacegirl - switch on the brain before responding! She did NOT recognize the gait - she did not recognize me at all!

Quote:
Quote:
On top of that, if Molly is looking out the closed window and a member of my family appears at the gate (about 30 meters down the garden path), she jumps up and down excitedly and goes into greeting mode. If it is a stranger, she reacts quite differently. I doubt she can smell me through glass, or hear me coming - if she could, then why does she not start before the person appears, the way she does when she can hear our car coming around the corner?

Now these are mere anecdotes of course! But since you value your "empirical observations" so much, here I have several, under different circumstances. I have also shown you that dogs select the pictures, and do not just press the lever they are trained to press.
Your gait was probably familiar to her, but to be sure she would still need to confirm that it was you through her sense of smell, not her sight.
There is little chance to recognize anyone's "gait" as I have tall hedges all along the front of my house. You pretty much appear suddenly at the gate, to an observer at the window. Nor does that explain the enthusiastic behaviour long before she can smell me. Both my dogs can tell family from strangers easily, from sight alone. Even if they are standing still at the gate!
Just because she gets excited as you round the corner doesn't mean she actually recognizes your features and knows positively that it is you. She probably is use to the routine, which is her cue. My friend's cat use to sit by the door at 8:00 sharp every night waiting for her owner to come home from work. Of course, if someone else came in, she would know immediately that it wasn't him because of the person's smell.
All I know is this: they like to lie down on the couch, with a view out of the window overlooking the front lawn. They like that because barking at strangers is a major hobby of theirs.

But they never bark at me. I don't really have a routine - I work from home a lot, go into the office irregularly, and have to travel for work some as well. So there really is no telling when it is me coming around the corner. The kids have irregular schedules as well: most of them are in college now, they have rooms of their own, so one moment I have a full house, the next moment I have a mere skeleton crew. If there is a predictable pattern to our collective coming and going, I certainly cannot see it. I sure have not figured it out, which is why I still cook for 7 most nights and end up with enough leftovers to feed a small battalion. And yet none of them get barked at.

So how come they know, without fail! to bark at strangers and to greet family? From behind glass? At 30 meters? With no prior warning - people just appear at the gate, and there is not more than a second or so to "recognise gait" or whatnot. One of them is deaf, for goodness sake!

Now obviously - this is a mere anecdote. It means nothing. I may be biased and see what I want to see, as I love my dogs, which may cause me to overestimate their abilities. There could be factors involved that I am simply not aware of - there may be some gap in the hedge that I never spotted, some other weird correlation of events that make this happen. I do not see how at the moment, but I am quite aware of the fact that I am certainly not a neutral observer.

This is why actual peer-reviewed tests are so important. This is why scepticism is so important. This is why actual evidence is crucial.

You should try it sometime.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-13-2012), Stephen Maturin (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
I have never seen a dog that recognizes his master's face from a still photograph, even though I haven't seen every dog. Somebody should be able to find evidence of this. I'm not referring to gestures.
We have. You've been given quite a few examples showing very clear evidence that dogs can recognize their masters' faces in photographs and in videos. You're lying, peacegirl, and that's not very becoming.

Quote:
I never said I was putting you on ignore, but don't press your luck. You sound really angry ...
Dishonesty and willful ignorance tend to create that effect.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
I have never seen a dog that recognizes his master's face from a still photograph, even though I haven't seen every dog. Somebody should be able to find evidence of this. I'm not referring to gestures.
We have. You've been given quite a few examples showing very clear evidence that dogs can recognize their masters' faces in photographs and in videos. You're lying, peacegirl, and that's not very becoming.
Exactly. The asshat HAS been given evidence of this, REPEATEDLY. Yet she persists in lying. What a contemptible creature.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:02 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
:wtfsign: What does that even mean?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-13-2012), Stephen Maturin (03-13-2012), The Lone Ranger (03-13-2012), Vivisectus (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 AM

Pooping is an efferent process, though, def :yes:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-13-2012), Pan Narrans (03-13-2012), Vivisectus (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
It means nothing. She's crazy. She just strings words together like a random text generator. When she fucked up the quote tags as she so often does, she ended up challenging one of her own posts. :yup:
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Pooping is an efferent process, though, def :yes:

Are you saying that language is crap?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Hello Murdock13! :party:
Is that same guy that did battle with Tiamat?
Pan Narrans (03-13-2012), Stephen Maturin (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't agree, sorry.
You have to stop just dropping unsupported claims like that. WHY not? What was wrong with the test?

Quote:
Quote:
I myself have made the error of running around the corner of my house in the dark when my french mastiff Molly is out, and on occasion she challenges me as she would a stranger in her yard. It is not something you forget in a hurry! This has never happened during daylight hours, and I appear around corners suddenly all the time as I do my gardening, and I certainly do not wear the same clothing all the time.
Maybe she recognized your gait.
Remember Peacegirl - switch on the brain before responding! She did NOT recognize the gait - she did not recognize me at all!

Quote:
Quote:
On top of that, if Molly is looking out the closed window and a member of my family appears at the gate (about 30 meters down the garden path), she jumps up and down excitedly and goes into greeting mode. If it is a stranger, she reacts quite differently. I doubt she can smell me through glass, or hear me coming - if she could, then why does she not start before the person appears, the way she does when she can hear our car coming around the corner?

Now these are mere anecdotes of course! But since you value your "empirical observations" so much, here I have several, under different circumstances. I have also shown you that dogs select the pictures, and do not just press the lever they are trained to press.
Your gait was probably familiar to her, but to be sure she would still need to confirm that it was you through her sense of smell, not her sight.
There is little chance to recognize anyone's "gait" as I have tall hedges all along the front of my house. You pretty much appear suddenly at the gate, to an observer at the window. Nor does that explain the enthusiastic behaviour long before she can smell me. Both my dogs can tell family from strangers easily, from sight alone. Even if they are standing still at the gate!
Just because she gets excited as you round the corner doesn't mean she actually recognizes your features and knows positively that it is you. She probably is use to the routine, which is her cue. My friend's cat use to sit by the door at 8:00 sharp every night waiting for her owner to come home from work. Of course, if someone else came in, she would know immediately that it wasn't him because of the person's smell.
All I know is this: they like to lie down on the couch, with a view out of the window overlooking the front lawn. They like that because barking at strangers is a major hobby of theirs.

But they never bark at me. I don't really have a routine - I work from home a lot, go into the office irregularly, and have to travel for work some as well. So there really is no telling when it is me coming around the corner. The kids have irregular schedules as well: most of them are in college now, they have rooms of their own, so one moment I have a full house, the next moment I have a mere skeleton crew. If there is a predictable pattern to our collective coming and going, I certainly cannot see it. I sure have not figured it out, which is why I still cook for 7 most nights and end up with enough leftovers to feed a small battalion. And yet none of them get barked at.

So how come they know, without fail! to bark at strangers and to greet family? From behind glass? At 30 meters? With no prior warning - people just appear at the gate, and there is not more than a second or so to "recognise gait" or whatnot. One of them is deaf, for goodness sake!

Now obviously - this is a mere anecdote. It means nothing. I may be biased and see what I want to see, as I love my dogs, which may cause me to overestimate their abilities. There could be factors involved that I am simply not aware of - there may be some gap in the hedge that I never spotted, some other weird correlation of events that make this happen. I do not see how at the moment, but I am quite aware of the fact that I am certainly not a neutral observer.

This is why actual peer-reviewed tests are so important. This is why scepticism is so important. This is why actual evidence is crucial.

You should try it sometime.
I told you that I am all for evidence, but sometimes the empirical tests that are supposed to give accurate results are inherently flawed.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
You're weaseling.

What on Earth makes you think that a dog is so stupid that it wouldn't be able to tell that a flickering, 2-dimensional image is not its master?
Because dogs don't have this ability, that's why. Why mention the word "stupid", which has nothing to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
And yes, you were given links to experiments in which it was shown that dogs can and do distinguish videos of their masters/handlers from videos of strangers.
Is it the video with the dogs using a lever? I already said that I believe this test is fundamentally flawed.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you had read this chapter carefully, you would understand why the relationship between words and objects are an efferent process. I will repeat this excerpt because it explains an important concept.

In other words, as she learns these
names and words her brain takes a picture of the objects symbolized
and when she sees these differences again she projects the word or
name, but the brain will not take any picture until a relation is
formed. Consequently, these differences that exist in the external
world which are not identifiable through taste, touch, smell, or sounds
are identifiable only because they are related to words, names or slides
that we project for recognition.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 PM

If Lessans is right then blind people can't learn language.

Also, that whole projection and brain pictures thing was just more assertion with zero evidence.
Thanks, from:
But (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM

No dogs are shown or said to have used a lever in any of the studies or videos peacegirl.

I explained to you that I introduced the possibility of a lever, as one of several options, because the study abstract I had posted didn't mention the method.

So you've never read or watched anything we've posted (which is multiple different tests by different scientists), or you would know this. And, your fixation on levers is completely mental.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I told you that I am all for evidence, but sometimes the empirical tests that are supposed to give accurate results are inherently flawed.
Correction: you are all for evidence that supports Lessans. Evidence that does not you dismiss out of hand. Just like in this case: you call the study inherently flawed. Why? Based on what do you come to the conclusion that it is flawed, other than the fact that you do not like the results?

Quote:
I agree that to learn language the Lessans way, you have to be out of your mind :P
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM

She has now all but admitted to never reviewing any of the tests we've given her (or she would know there are no levers in any of them), which is 4 or 5 I believe. She has simply declared that all of them are flawed and unreliable, without knowing the methods or how the data was interpreted.

Lessans obviously detested science and methodology, though he wanted the credibility science lends. He thought he deserved the recognition without doing the work. He indoctrinated peacegirl so she shares this contempt of all things that aren't unsupported assertions.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-14-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
If Lessans is right then blind people can't learn language.
Not true at all. You just don't see the symbols with your eyes, but it is the external symbol (representing language) that forms the relation and takes a photograph, even if it's through the sense of touch. Without the word relation, it's difficult to identify differences in substance. The only difference is that a blind person can't be conditioned by words like beautiful and ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Also, that whole projection and brain pictures thing was just more assertion with zero evidence.
That's what you always say. But this was an accurate description of how we learn words and how a mental slide of the object/word relationship is photographed and stored in the brain.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
She has now all but admitted to never reviewing any of the tests we've given her (or she would know there are no levers in any of them), which is 4 or 5 I believe. She has simply declared that all of them are flawed and unreliable, without knowing the methods or how the data was interpreted.

Lessans obviously detested science and methodology, though he wanted the credibility science lends. He thought he deserved the recognition without doing the work. He indoctrinated peacegirl so she shares this contempt of all things that aren't unsupported assertions.
You've got it all figured out, don't you LadyShea? :popcorn:
Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Correction: you are all for evidence that supports Lessans. Evidence that does not you dismiss out of hand. Just like in this case: you call the study inherently flawed. Why? Based on what do you come to the conclusion that it is flawed, other than the fact that you do not like the results?
Not true. These were astute observations and I'm sorry you don't see the reason dogs cannot identify individual features, and why they can easily identify someone through smell or their sound of their voice.

Quote:
Quote:
I agree that to learn language the Lessans way, you have to be out of your mind :P
I'm glad you tempered that comment with a playful smiley, or you would have been put on ignore.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
No dogs are shown or said to have used a lever in any of the studies or videos peacegirl.

I explained to you that I introduced the possibility of a lever, as one of several options, because the study abstract I had posted didn't mention the method.

So you've never read or watched anything we've posted (which is multiple different tests by different scientists), or you would know this. And, your fixation on levers is completely mental.
I have never seen any experiments where it proves that dogs can recognize faces without confirming that person's identity using their sense of hearing and smell.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You've got it all figured out, don't you LadyShea? :popcorn:
Yep, Lessans was arrogant and lazy and so are you.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not true. These were astute observations and I'm sorry you don't see the reason dogs cannot identify individual features, and why they can easily identify someone through smell or their sound of their voice.
Wow you are becoming blatant in your use of the ole "Astute Observations". Basically whenever you invoke it, you mean "I am not going to provide evidence for this point of view, but I am declaring it an "Astute Observation" which means it must be treated as convincingly proven anyway."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm glad you tempered that comment with a playful smiley, or you would have been put on ignore.
Lucky me! You have to admit that sentence is completely incoherent though. Learning language is something that happens in an outward direction from the brain?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-14-2012), LadyShea (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
That's what you always say. But this was an accurate description of how we learn words and how a mental slide of the object/word relationship is photographed and stored in the brain.
How do you know it's an accurate description of how we learn words? How do you know he didn't pull the whole thing out of his ass?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I have never seen any experiments where it proves that dogs can recognize faces without confirming that person's identity using their sense of hearing and smell.
Of course you haven't seen them. You refuse to read them or watch the videos. You refuse to look at data or findings if you think they might refute Lessans. If you had you would know there were no levers in any of them

And you condemn others for bias.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy