Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 10-07-2011, 08:03 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
As far as saying "if" efferent vision is true, I want people to have some leeway. To say that I know it's true will get me in trouble and I'll be called a "fundamentalist."
You will still be compared to fundamentalists because that is how you act, your circumlocution notwithstanding.

Quote:
Cameras detect light only, but the light is present as a mirror image of the object or light source.
I thought your claim was that light could not transmit an image. How then can the light be "present as a mirror image of the object"?

Quote:
And what I'm saying is that if efferent vision is true, there is another explanation than incoming light forming on the lens and being interpreted by the brain. That explanation shows that cameras and eyes should not see different things; they should see the exact same thing which they do.
The problem with this is that you have never actually provided such an explanation. Any such explanation would have to include a description of the mechanism that enables a camera, or an eye, to form an image. You have never provided a description of such a mechanism. Until you do so you really ought to quit claiming that such an explanation exists.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
Thus the thought experiment stands: the emitter is 10 light minutes away. It starts to emit a stream of photons in the wavelength we see as red. Then it switches to emitting photons in the blue wavelength after 5 minutes. Then it switches off.

If efferent sight were true, the naked eye would see red the moment it was switched on. The camera would see nothing. Then after 5 minutes, the naked eye would see it switch to blue. The camera would still see nothing. Then after 10 minutes, the eye would see the light switch off. the camera would record red for 5 minutes, and then blue for 5 minutes, before seeing the light switch off 10 minutes after the fact.

These differences are never seen in reality. Thus efferent sight is not correct.
Wrong. The camera would show red if the red was coming from the light source. If it switched to blue, the camera would show blue just as the eyes would see blue. You keep thinking there is this time delay, and that's because your mind is blocked. You can't envision what I'm trying to get across so you keep going back to what you're accustomed to believing is true. :(
I am sure that I have made this point before, but let me make it again. The claim that light must be present does not necessarily imply that the light has to be present at the point of observation. If efferent vision is true, it is sufficient that light be present at the point of origin and that the object be; big enough, close enough and bright enough to be seen. That being the case, when the light emitting object changes color that change will be observed instantly, if efferent vision is true. What is missing from this "explanation" is a description of the mechanism which allows such an observation to take place. But that's alright, peacegirl has already admitted that she doesn't know how this happens. She only knows that it does happen.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Seriously, he made claims about light and time that were false, peacegirl. He used three hypotheticals to try to illustrate what he thought was a discovery about sight...not one, three (the Sun being turned on, the Sun exploding, observer on Rigel, and the nonsense about molecules of light could be considered a 4th).
You're trying to make this bigger than it is. It is not 4 hypotheticals, okay? It is one. And he was correct about the observer on Rigel, so don't include that, thank you very much.
Whether or not he was correct about the observer on Rigel (he was not) is beside the point. The Rigel example is still an hypothetical for the simple reason that, to the best of our knowledge, there neither is, nor ever was, any such observer on Rigel. See, that right there makes it hypothetical.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
You have been trying to defend this for almost a decade, and now, finally, you are going to remove it from the book? Why is it not important today, but has been for the last 8 or so years?
I was hemming and hawing about taking this excerpt out for some time, but now I am convinced because of the misunderstanding it has caused. But, and I will say it again until you finally get it, this has no bearing on whether his claim is true.
If it has no bearing, why did you include it? You have stated that it was merely an afterthought on Lessans' part (although how you can know that is unclear) and that it did not appear in all of his books (whatever that means) yet you still chose to include it. I can only assume that you chose to include the example because you thought that it was persuasive. You have now, after umpteen discussions, discovered that it was not persuasive. That, in fact, it tended to undermine rather than buttress his argument. Therefore, you have decided to edit it out of your next revision. By that logic, you ought to edit out every argument, observation, analogy and example that has proven to be less than persuasive. If you do that you could save an awful lot of the publishing cost, because you could then put the whole thing on the cover of a matchbook.

Quote:
As for the Hubble Deep Field experiment, I still don't see where this has anything to do with Lessans' claim that we can only see the present.
I was not addressing the past/present issue when I provided the link to the Hubble Deep Field site. I was addressing your claim that a camera could not take a picture of an object if that object was not in the camera's field of view. When the astronomers pointed the Hubble telescope in that direction they were, to the best of their knowledge, aiming the telescope at a vacant point in space. Explain to me, if you will, how the Hubble telescope was able to take pictures of objects in space that were not visible to the astronomers who were using the telescope.

Last edited by Angakuk; 10-07-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:46 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
In the case of the rainbow, since there is no object then what exactly are you viewing "efferently"?
The spectrum of visible light which forms a rainbow.
I thought you said before that we cannot see light.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
The theory of relativity would be false, and E=Mcsquared would not hold, meaning no atom bombs...[Obler's Paradox gives] a resultant surface temperature at the earth about that of the sun. Life could not exist.
To be fair, no atom bombs means no suns either. Obler's Paradox wouldn't be an issue, but the sun could only be a few thousand years old.
It's Olbers' paradox. The man's name is/was Olbers.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

[quote]
Quote:
[
Quote:
COLOR="Blue"]Thus the thought experiment stands: the emitter is 10 light minutes away. It starts to emit a stream of photons in the wavelength we see as red. Then it switches to emitting photons in the blue wavelength after 5 minutes. Then it switches off.

If efferent sight were true, the naked eye would see red the moment it was switched on. The camera would see nothing. Then after 5 minutes, the naked eye would see it switch to blue. The camera would still see nothing. Then after 10 minutes, the eye would see the light switch off. the camera would record red for 5 minutes, and then blue for 5 minutes, before seeing the light switch off 10 minutes after the fact.

These differences are never seen in reality. Thus efferent sight is not correct. [/COLOR]
Wrong. The camera would show red if the red was coming from the light source. If it switched to blue, the camera would show blue just as the eyes would see blue. You keep thinking there is this time delay, and that's because your mind is blocked. You can't envision what I'm trying to get across so you keep going back to what you're accustomed to believing is true. :(
In that case, the wavelength of the stream of photons needs to change the moment the lightsource begins emitting a different color light, and they need to instantly disappear when the lightsource is switched off. But we know photons do not work that way: as radar proves, photons are not dependent on their emitter for their continued existence. if they were, radar would not work.

Lessans idea is thus shown to be impossible.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
As far as saying "if" efferent vision is true, I want people to have some leeway. To say that I know it's true will get me in trouble and I'll be called a "fundamentalist."
You will still be compared to fundamentalists because that is how you act, your circumlocution notwithstanding.
I have tried to be as direct as possible, although I realize I'm not offering you the kind of detailed explanation that you are looking for.

Quote:
Cameras detect light only, but the light is present as a mirror image of the object or light source.
Quote:
I thought your claim was that light could not transmit an image. How then can the light be "present as a mirror image of the object"?
If light is a mirror image, it is not transmitting anything. It is there the second the lens of a camera photographs something, or the lens of the eye sees that same view.

Quote:
And what I'm saying is that if efferent vision is true, there is another explanation than incoming light forming on the lens and being interpreted by the brain. That explanation shows that cameras and eyes should not see different things; they should see the exact same thing which they do.
Quote:
The problem with this is that you have never actually provided such an explanation. Any such explanation would have to include a description of the mechanism that enables a camera, or an eye, to form an image. You have never provided a description of such a mechanism. Until you do so you really ought to quit claiming that such an explanation exists.
I'm sure there is a mechanism that explains efferent vision. I just don't have it quite yet, but that doesn't negate that it exists [in theory].

Quote:
Thus the thought experiment stands: the emitter is 10 light minutes away. It starts to emit a stream of photons in the wavelength we see as red. Then it switches to emitting photons in the blue wavelength after 5 minutes. Then it switches off.

These differences are never seen in reality. Thus efferent sight is not correct.
Quote:
Quote:
I am sure that I have made this point before, but let me make it again. The claim that light must be present does not necessarily imply that the light has to be present at the point of observation. If efferent vision is true, it is sufficient that light be present at the point of origin and that the object be; big enough, close enough and bright enough to be seen. That being the case, when the light emitting object changes color that change will be observed instantly, if efferent vision is true. What is missing from this "explanation" is a description of the mechanism which allows such an observation to take place. But that's alright, peacegirl has already admitted that she doesn't know how this happens. She only knows that it does happen.
As I just said, not knowing the exact mechanism as to the pathway in the brain that allows us to see in real time does not mean that this observation is wrong.

Quote:
Seriously, he made claims about light and time that were false, peacegirl. He used three hypotheticals to try to illustrate what he thought was a discovery about sight...not one, three (the Sun being turned on, the Sun exploding, observer on Rigel, and the nonsense about molecules of light could be considered a 4th).
Quote:
You're trying to make this bigger than it is. It is not 4 hypotheticals, okay? It is one. And he was correct about the observer on Rigel, so don't include that, thank you very much.
Quote:
Whether or not he was correct about the observer on Rigel (he was not) is beside the point. The Rigel example is still an hypothetical for the simple reason that, to the best of our knowledge, there neither is, nor ever was, any such observer on Rigel. See, that right there makes it hypothetical.
Call it hypothetical if you want, but LadyShea was clumping all of these together to make it look like Lessans was full of hot air. There is nothing wrong with a hypothetical if it is clarifying a concept. That's what he was doing with the example of Rigel. The other example is not necessary and is confusing people instead of making his concept clearer, which is why I want to remove it.

Quote:
You have been trying to defend this for almost a decade, and now, finally, you are going to remove it from the book? Why is it not important today, but has been for the last 8 or so years?
Quote:
I was hemming and hawing about taking this excerpt out for some time, but now I am convinced because of the misunderstanding it has caused. But, and I will say it again until you finally get it, this has no bearing on whether his claim is true.
Quote:
If it has no bearing, why did you include it? You have stated that it was merely an afterthought on Lessans' part (although how you can know that is unclear) and that it did not appear in all of his books (whatever that means) yet you still chose to include it. I can only assume that you chose to include the example because you thought that it was persuasive. You have now, after umpteen discussions, discovered that it was not persuasive. That, in fact, it tended to undermine rather than buttress his argument. Therefore, you have decided to edit it out of your next revision. By that logic, you ought to edit out every argument, observation, analogy and example that has proven to be less than persuasive. If you do that you could save an awful lot of the publishing cost, because you could then put the whole thing on the cover of a matchbook.
I included it because I thought it would make things clearer. I didn't know it would cause the kind of reaction it got. I included it because I was compiling all of his books, and this was part of his writings. I included his letters to the President as well (which I might take out) because I wanted his life story to be included in the book, just in case the letters were lost. Now it's going to cost me to have it redone. At least I'll be able to change "Satin" to "Satan" that people made such a big deal out of.

Quote:
As for the Hubble Deep Field experiment, I still don't see where this has anything to do with Lessans' claim that we can only see the present.
Quote:
I was not addressing the past/present issue when I provided the link to the Hubble Deep Field site. I was addressing your claim that a camera could not take a picture of an object if that object was not in the camera's field of view. When the astronomers pointed the Hubble telescope in that direction they were, to the best of their knowledge, aiming the telescope at a vacant point in space. Explain to me, if you will, how the Hubble telescope was able to take pictures of objects in space that were not visible to the astronomers who were using the telescope.
I agree that photons were being picked up by the telescope. There is no other explanation if the space was vacant and suddenly light appeared. And it's probably true that these relics (if you will) of an earlier time are indicative of how old the universe is. I am not arguing with that. That being said, I still don't believe that we can get a full image of a past event without the event being present.

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-07-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
In the case of the rainbow, since there is no object then what exactly are you viewing "efferently"?
Quote:
The spectrum of visible light which forms a rainbow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by But
I thought you said before that we cannot see light.
I said that there has to be something in the atmosphere that is interacting with that light for the image to be seen. In the case of rainbows, raindrops are interacting with the sun's rays. I also believe pure light can be picked up by a telescope, but I don't believe that what we're seeing represents a past event in its entirety. It would be like finding a fossil of an earlier time. That fossil is a leftover relic, and although it gives clues, it is not complete.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:17 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

In post 11830 you misattributed many of Angukuks points to Vivisectus. Simply change the name where it says quote=

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Now it's going to cost me to have it redone. At least I'll be able to change "Satin" to "Satan" that people made such a big deal out of.
Why not do it yourself and save money? Seriously, your paying for this simple editing work is dumb. You have the time to post here, you have the time to change some spelling and delete some passages.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (10-08-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
OMG found it. You did...you actually did change molecules to photons.

Quote:
Once the light is here it remains here because the molecules of light emitted by the constant energy of the sun surround us. When the earth rotates on its axis so the section on which we live is in darkness, this only means the molecules of light are on the other side. When our rotation allows the sun to smile on us again this does not mean that it takes another eight minutes for this light to reach us because these molecules are already present. If the sun were to explode while we were looking at it we would see it the instant it happened, not 8 minutes later. We are able to see the moon, the sun, the distant stars, etc., not because the one is 3 seconds away, the other 8 minutes away, and the last many light years away, but simply because these objects are large enough to be seen at their great distance when enough light is present. This fallacy has come into existence because the eyes were considered a sense organ, like the ears. Since it takes longer for the sound from an airplane to reach our ears when it is a thousand feet away than when five thousand, it was assumed that the same thing occurred with the object sending a picture of itself on the wings of light. If it was possible to transmit a television picture from the earth to a planet as far away as the star Rigel, it is true that the people living there would be seeing the ships of Columbus coming into America for the first time because the picture would be in the process of being transmitted through space at a certain rate of speed.

Tut-tut, you and your talk of ethics and outrage at suggestions that you name yourself co-author and make changes to the book.
You're becoming too angry to communicate with, LadyShea! I mean, come on! It's not as though she self-righteously insisted that "it would be unethical to alter someone else's work" or that she "never would taint his writing by adding or subtracting what he has painstakingly worked on for 30 years." Jeez!
Have you conveniently forgotten that I would never change the original concept. There's a difference between changing a word to better describe a concept, or giving an example that clarifies a concept. Jeezzzz!!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
We don't lock threads here, and peacegirl apparently will stay and fight until the end of time unless she is forced to stop posting by a thread lock or ban.
That might actually be a good thing so I can move on in peace.
What might be a good thing, that we don't close threads or that you apparently are unable to move on of your own accord?

Which part of what I said makes it so you "can move on in peace"? What is preventing you from doing so any time you want?
I feel that people are still somewhat interested whether it's to make Lessans look nuts, or to actually test his [theories]. Or maybe just for entertainment. The bottom line is I am still responding to posts. If all the posts turn out to be a gang up on me, that will be time enough to go. It's very difficult to hear insults being hurled at me from every direction. I never anticipated this kind of reaction.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Quote:
but I need people to stop posting.
:unnope: Just leave and it will be over.
That's like telling an anorexic that all they have to do is eat more. :sadcheer:
Old 10-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iacchus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
I am very aware that if I am not careful the resentment
of these people will nail me to a cross, and they would do it in the name
of justice and truth
.[/I]
:lol:

Oh, yes, there it is in all its glory, the martyr's complex that the blockhead had, and which peacegirl inherited in spades. Like I say, she's a chip off the old blockhead!

Here's a memo to peacegirl: Nobody resents you or Lessans for these "discoveries." He didn't actually discover anything, and if he had, why would anyone resent him for it?

What people resent are lies, dishonesty, deceit, willfull ignorance.
Notwithstanding, all charlatans aside, people are often alarmed (and/or spiteful and/or resentful and/or hurtful) when something disturbs their world view.
Very very true.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
I'm ready to move on but I need people to stop posting.
Are you really that mentally ill that you can't leave of your own accord?
Of course I can leave of my own accord but I obviously am getting more satisfaction from being here than not being here. I guess I'm determined to prove that Lessans wasn't a crackpot. :(
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I feel that people are still somewhat interested whether it's to make Lessans look nuts, or to actually test his [theories]. Or maybe just for entertainment.
People are interested in you, not Lessans. They want to see how much reason and rationality it takes to break through your spectacularly strong dogma armor.

Quote:
The bottom line is I am still responding to posts. If all the posts turn out to be a gang up on me, that will be time enough to go.
Suit yourself

Quote:
It's very difficult to hear insults being hurled at me from every direction. I never anticipated this kind of reaction.
You've gotten the exact same reaction for at least 8 years, peacegirl. How many times do you have to experience something before you're able to anticipate it for goodness' sake?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
Quote:
but I need people to stop posting.
:unnope: Just leave and it will be over.
That's like telling an anorexic that all they have to do is eat more. :sadcheer:
What a strange analogy. You are comparing your posting at a forum to a deadly mental illness?

Quote:
I guess I'm determined to prove that Lessans wasn't a crackpot.
You don't have the ability, sorry.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I consider them wise in many ways even if they don't have the scientific background that you all have.
Takes all kinds

Quote:
I actually would reach out to religion but they wouldn't appreciate Lessans' claim that man's will is not free. That would mean God is responsible for the evil in the world, and that wouldn't go off too well. :sadcheer:
Religion would see it as an attempt at a replacement.
I think you're right.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Actually, TLR is wrong in my opinion. Being of a scientific frame of mind, he dismissed the arrogance that comes with trying to reduce the whole of human interaction to a simple set of rules of the road based on reducing all acts to either ethically right or ethically wrong, when such a binary distinction is both impossible and insulting to the true range and possibility of human expression.
That is not what he was doing. He wasn't making a judgment for anyone as to what is "right" and "wrong." But the truth is that when we stop judging what is right or wrong for others, conscience is able to do its job of deciding for itself what's right and what's wrong. He even said that what is right and wrong depends on the individual's set of circumstances. Dog food is good to a person who is starving, yet bad to someone who is comparing that to a steak dinner.

Quote:
They COULD be more insulting. And they were. By reducing the sum total of potential human experience to the idiotic set of behaviors that are possible under the Lessianic scheme, and nothing more.
It's only insulting because you don't understand that we can only choose "good" (not hurting others) when there is no justification to do bad. As long as we have a justification, then these principles cannot work. This is not a scheme or a binary system with a set of rules to follow. In fact, there are no rules to follow in the new world. The only thing that will be carefully analyzed is what is and is not a hurt to another. This will allow you to decide what you want to do with that information. For example, we all know that running a red light and injuring someone is a hurt to the person who was injured. There's no confusion as to who would be at fault. We also know that people don't have to run red lights if they don't want to. What this principle does is prevent the desire to speed up instead of slow down when in a hurry, for if someone was to be seriously hurt as a result of your actions, you could not justify it. Therefore, the only avenue open to you is to prevent this kind of occurrence from happening. Please rethink your position because it's your misunderstanding, not the discovery, that is the problem.

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
Once the light is here it remains here because the photons of light emitted by the constant energy of the sun surround us. When the earth rotates on its axis so the section on which we live is in
darkness, this only means the photons of light are on the other side.
When our rotation allows the sun to smile on us again this does not
mean that it takes another eight minutes for this light to reach us
because these photons are already present.

Quote:
He said constant energy. Hello?? Anybody there?
Quote:
Constant energy is not the same thing as constant stream of new photons.
Quote:
That's what he meant. A constant stream of light energy.

Really? That's what you are going with? So if that's what he meant, this passage could read as follows and be perfectly meaningful and valid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Lessans really meant
Once the light is here it remains here because the constant stream of light energy emitted by the constant stream of light energy of the sun surround us. When the earth rotates on its axis so the section on which we live is in darkness, this only means the constant stream of light energy is on the other side. When our rotation allows the sun to smile on us again this does not mean that it takes another eight minutes for this constant stream of light energy to reach us because the constant stream of light energy is already present.
Quote:
Quote:
He was clearly speaking of photons as somehow separate from the suns energy, and he also clearly thought they somehow hung around in the air, like they traveled here then stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacegirl
That was not what he was clearly speaking of. You are using this as a scapegoat in order to find a flaw.
So, he meant the reworded passage then, and you think that makes sense?

What does "already here" and/or "already present" and/or "light's presence" mean in the context of a constant flow of new photons/new light energy? It makes zero sense in that context so just what exactly are you and Lessans trying to say when you use these phrases?
The fact that the photons/new light energy are in a constant flow is a mute point. I don't see the constant flow of light energy even though that's what is occurring; I see daylight when the sun is on my side of the earth, and it is this light that allows me to see objects and images in real time.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl/Janis 2003
I still maintain that harnassing light to be used in cameras or digital cameras (and other technologies) is not what I am talking about. They are able to decode the information in the light and form a picture. I have no problem with that.
In 2003 you seemed to understand how cameras work, what happened?
Cameras do decode light because that's what cameras do. Brains, on the other hand, don't decode light. They use light striking the retina, to see objective reality. Cameras are light detectors, as you accurately described. But if efferent vision is valid, then there is no time for the light to travel from the object to the lens which means that a camera is photographing the same exact event that the eyes see.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I told you the Hubble Deep Field images disproved Lessans claims, you said you would concede if it was explained to you in a way you couldn't refute.

The Hubble was pointed at what appeared to be empty sky in "real time", yet after 10 days of collecting the light coming from that direction we found that the sky was anything but empty. We had no idea if there were objects out there, and took a gamble that there were and so started collecting the light coming from that direction
I'm trying to make a distinction between photons that break away from a light source and travel at light speed to the lens of a telescope, and seeing the actual light source because it is large enough and bright enough to be seen with magnification. Obviously, I cannot refute what the telescope detected.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I'm ready to move on but I need people to stop posting.
Quote:
No, you don't need others to stop posting, you just need to stop posting.
If all people do is attack Lessans, then I'll stop posting. But if people continue to have legitimate questions, I'll try to answer as best I can.

Quote:
Quote:
It wasn't an experiment, it's an image of hundreds of galaxies, the furthest of which is 13.2 BILLION light years away. That means the photons the Hubble collected had been traveling for 13 billion years. Isn't that extraordinary? Do you understand how far away that is?

1 light year is 6 trillion miles.

The Deep Field is amazing and awe inspiring. What a place this Universe is.
Quote:
If photons are able to break off from a star and be seen, then that would mean that it is analogous to the examples you've given.
Quote:
Well, they don't break off, they are emitted, spit out in all directions. But yes, they are independent things, traveling along through space.
Quote:
I still maintain that we will never be able to see an event from the past that reflects what happened hundreds of years ago, even if a telescope identified a few photons from that time period.
Quote:
Your failure to understand it doesn't mean it isn't happening, to use one of your arguments.
That's true.

Quote:
It turns out, light from the star encodes a wealth of information about the physical state of its outer atmosphere. Light is produced in the inner regions of a star and works its way out to the "surface" -- which is really a part of the gaseous atmosphere called the photosphere. Photons produced in the photosphere have a good chance to escape outwards into space and, eventually, reach us. As photons fly through the outermost layers of the stellar atmosphere, however, they may be absorbed by atoms or ions in those outer layers. The absorption lines produced by these outermost layers of the star tell us a lot about the chemical compositition, temperature, and other features of the star.

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys301...pec_lines.html
Quote:
Cool isn't it? I read that one photon may take a thousand years to escape our sun. What's your point with this copypaste?
Very cool and awe inspiring. :wink:

My point is that we can use the information gleaned from these pictures, but these pictures are not an exact image of the light source from whence they came. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by peacegirl; 10-07-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to make a distinction between photons that break away from a light source and travel at light speed to the lens of a telescope, and seeing the actual light source because it is large enough and bright enough to be seen with magnification. Obviously, I cannot refute what the telescope detected.
There is no distinction to be made, peacegirl, you're having a problem because you still don't seem to understand the nature of light and the functionality of optics.

Lenses are lenses and light detectors are light detectors and they all work the same way.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:

My point is that we can use the information gleaned from these pictures, but these pictures are not an exact image of the light source from whence they came. That's all I'm saying.
I have asked before and probably won't get an answer this time either...but what do you think the "exact image" of a star should look like? What about the "exact image" of a galaxy?

Pinwheel Galaxy (Messier 101) by Hubble
Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 PM

Which of the multiple photos in this article are the "actual image" of the sun?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl/Janis 2003
I still maintain that harnassing light to be used in cameras or digital cameras (and other technologies) is not what I am talking about. They are able to decode the information in the light and form a picture. I have no problem with that.
In 2003 you seemed to understand how cameras work, what happened?
Cameras do decode light because that's what cameras do. Brains, on the other hand, don't decode light. They use light striking the retina, to see objective reality. Cameras are light detectors, as you accurately described. But if efferent vision is valid, then there is no time for the light to travel from the object to the lens which means that a camera is photographing the same exact event that the eyes see.
No, the reality is that the same thing is recorded.

However, because a camera has to wait for the light to arrive, there would be a difference if efferent sight were true. There isn't, so we know that both the camera and the eye experience the time delay.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM

[quote=Vivisectus;989289]
Quote:
Quote:
[
Quote:
COLOR="Blue"]Thus the thought experiment stands: the emitter is 10 light minutes away. It starts to emit a stream of photons in the wavelength we see as red. Then it switches to emitting photons in the blue wavelength after 5 minutes. Then it switches off.

These differences are never seen in reality. Thus efferent sight is not correct. [/COLOR]
In that case, the wavelength of the stream of photons needs to change the moment the lightsource begins emitting a different color light, and they need to instantly disappear when the lightsource is switched off. But we know photons do not work that way: as radar proves, photons are not dependent on their emitter for their continued existence. if they were, radar would not work.

Lessans idea is thus shown to be impossible.
I understand your disagreement, and it seems that is how it works. It should therefore be possible to do a homegrown experiment where an object is placed a mile away, out of sight of the camera's lens. Also note that there are no atmospheric or physical obstructions to deflect or absorb the photons. The experimenter then takes a picture. Shouldn't the photons reflecting off of that object show up on the lens? If nothing shows up, why not, and why does the image of the object show up on the lens when the object is brought into the camera's field of view?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy