Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Naaa, that's all irrelevant. Babies not being able to focus properly at first or the common misconception about the way dogs see, now that is compelling evidence!

Not a bunch of hooplah about stimulating the optical nerve resulting in visual information showing up in the brain...
The truth is babies are not able to focus properly because they need stimulation in order for the brain to focus the eyes. It is not due to weak ciliary muscles. And yes, there is a misconception that dogs can recognize their owners through sight alone. And yet their brains can easily process what they are smelling, hearing, tasting, and feeling. But it is true that part of our ability to recognize objects is because of language.

As far as stimulating the optical nerve resulting in seeing (visual information such as patterns and shadows does not indicate true sight) is yet to be proven, so it is a bunch of hooplah at this point. You said it, not me. ;)
Peacegirl, you are completely ignoring the baby mimics. Do they smell when their parents stick their tongues out? Or do they hear it?
Look, there has been corroborating evidence that babies begin to focus their eyes at a few months old. Maybe some infants can see contrast enough to mimic. This doesn't change anything.
Dang peacegirl, you can go on youtube and find infants doing it that are just hours old.

Why do we have to take your word for it but you ignore what we tell you?
I'm not ignoring anything. If you look at a newborn's eyes they are not focused. That is not even disputed. As far as mimicing with eyes that aren't focused, I don't know how they do it if that's what they are actually doing.
Peacegirl, I've told you this before. The eye has a lens. It happens to be a flexible lens. We flex muscles in our eye to change the focal length. But if the muscle is not working the lens still has a focal length. Bring an object to the right distance for that focal length and an image will form.
I don't see how a clear image can form, even at close proximity, when both eyes are not working together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.atheist
It so happens that infants can't focus but if you place your face close to their face you will be in focus. However they will not be able to focus on things across the room. That is why in the videos of mimicking infants the faces are close to each other.
I reviewed this video. It doesn't even look like the baby was looking directly at his father. He was looking to the left.

In the following videos, the babies were definitely imitating.

&NR=1

&feature=grec_index

Quote:
But even if you discount everything I've told you here, you can't say that infants can't see something. All you can say is that you and Lessans can't explain it.
I never said they can't see something; they just can't see before their eyes are focused. Scientists believe the ciliary muscles need development. Lessans said it's not the muscles of the eye that need development, but the brain that needs stimulation.

Decline and Fall of All Evil: Chapter Four: Words, Not Reality pp. 117-118

“I understand from a doctor that the muscles of the eyes have not
yet developed sufficiently to allow this focusing.”

“And he believes this because this is what he was taught, but it is
not the truth. In fact, if an infant was placed in a soundproof room
that would eliminate the possibility of sense experience which is a
prerequisite of sight, even though the eyelids were permanently
removed, he could never have the desire to see. If a newborn infant
was not permitted to have any sense experiences, the brain would
never desire to focus the eyes to look through them at the external
world no matter how much light was present. Consequently, even
though the lids were removed, and even though many colorful objects
were placed in front of the baby, he could never see because the brain
is not looking.

Furthermore, and quite revealing, if this infant was
kept alive for fifty years or longer on a steady flow of intravenous
glucose, if possible, without allowing any stimuli to strike the other
four organs of sense, this baby, child, young and middle aged person
would never be able to focus the eyes to see any objects existing in that
room no matter how much light was present or how colorful they
might be because the conditions necessary for sight have been
removed, and there is absolutely nothing in the external world that
travels from an object and impinges on the optic nerve to cause it. We
need light to see, just as other things are a condition of hearing.

Quote:
And at a minimum you need to stop using infants as some kind of proof for your "efferent vision" idea because it doesn't fit.

So lets see how sincere you are about your open mindedness.

You certainly can't demand from us what you are not willing to do yourself.
I'm not demanding what I'm not willing to do myself. I don't see proof that infants can see well enough to mimic. At 51/2 weeks this baby did stick his tongue out, but whether he was imitating his father is questionable since he was not looking directly at him. There is no proof in this video that this was what the baby was doing, even though they both stuck out their tongues in close succession.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
I don't see how a clear image can form, even at close proximity,
See my previous post on how you can demonstrate this with a magnifying glass and a piece of paper!
Quote:
I don't see how a clear image can form...when both eyes are not working together.
So you think people without binocular vision can't see clear images? Hmm, since I do not have binocular vision myself (amblyopia), yet can see perfectly well at optimal distances, or with my glasses on (my good eye is a bit nearsighted) I disprove that idea.

*I do not have depth perception as those with binocular vision have it, but my brain has done an amazing job of adapting as I do not run into walls or grasp at empty air trying to pick up my coffee cup.

Last edited by LadyShea; 09-18-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Your kind demeanor in the beginning belied your intentions. You have no intentions of understanding this knowledge. You are here to confront it, with no proof whatsoever. I would hate to put you on ignore, but I might have to. :(
Well this is pretty much standard fare for Peacegirl. People try to be nice and explain how things really are or try to help her improve her presentation, but anything other than complete agreement is met with hostility and her 'pretend ignore'. Apart from posting accurate information to counter Peacegirls fiction, there isn't much progress to be made here, and addressing Peacegirl directly is useless, you may as well be talking to the blank screen of undeniable substance.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I never said they can't see something; they just can't see before their eyes are focused. Scientists believe the ciliary muscles need development.
They can see, just not well except at the optimal distance for their fixed shaped lenses (which for newborns is 8-15 inches away, or about the distance to a nursing mother's face). Until the muscles are developed enough to allow for the lens shape to be changed as needed, focus is determined only by distance. Really is this that difficult a concept?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Peacegirl, I've told you this before. The eye has a lens. It happens to be a flexible lens. We flex muscles in our eye to change the focal length. But if the muscle is not working the lens still has a focal length. Bring an object to the right distance for that focal length and an image will form.
I don't see how a clear image can form, even at close proximity, when both eyes are not working together.
I happen to be near sighted, I can form an image 6 inches from my eyes and there is no double image.

But be that as it may, the infant sees something because they are mimicking what the see.

So you can't say that a newborn can't see. Lessans was clearly wrong on this point. And since it doesn't matter to human vision how dogs see, Lessans has provided nothing valid to kick off his whole efferent vision assertion.

peacegirl. I don't know much about what you and Lessans call efferent vision, but is there some reason for why an infant can't see efferently?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (09-18-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
I don't have time right now. I'm lagging behind. But go to the Innocence Project and I'm sure you'll find a lot of cases where a preponderance of circumstantial evidence falsely convicted someone.
The shysters here can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the "preponderance of evidence" is the legal standard in civil suits. In criminal cases the standard is "beyond a reasonable doubt" That is considerably more stringent than "preponderance of evidence". The death penalty is not an option in civil suits.

Quote:
Since we were on the topic of peer review, I thought this might interest everyone.

[I]SCIENCE NEWS 9.14.2011 10:10PM
Peer-Review and the Corruption of Science
Jonathan M. September 13, 2011 6:00 AM | Permalink

The Guardian features an interesting opinion column by the renowned British pharmacologist David Colquhoun. The article bears the intriguing headline, "Publish-or-perish: Peer review and the corruption of science." The author laments that "Pressure on scientists to publish has led to a situation where any paper, however bad, can now be printed in a journal that claims to be peer-reviewed."
Peer-review is no guarentee of accuracy, this is true. Nevertheless, it does provide more reason to take an article seriously than does the complete absence of any peer-review.
Not necessarily.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Naaa, that's all irrelevant. Babies not being able to focus properly at first or the common misconception about the way dogs see, now that is compelling evidence!

Not a bunch of hooplah about stimulating the optical nerve resulting in visual information showing up in the brain...
The truth is babies are not able to focus properly because they need stimulation from the other senses in order for the brain to begin focusing the eyes. It is not due to weak ciliary muscles. And yes, there is a misconception that dogs can recognize their owners through sight alone. Isn't it a bit curious that their brains can easily process what they are smelling, hearing, tasting, and feeling but not seeing? It is true that part of their inability to recognize faces is due to their lack of language acquisition, which I already mentioned.

As far as stimulating the optical nerve resulting in seeing (visual information such as patterns and shadows does not indicate true sight) is yet to be proven, so it is a bunch of hooplah at this point. You said it, not me. ;)
But we attached a stimulator to the retina, and hooked it up to a camera. Visual information appeared int he brain. Rudimentary, it is true, but hey! Give us another decade or so, and we should be able to improve this a lot. How are shadows and patterns not visual information? Last I checked we see shadows and patterns - we do not feel or smell them.

As for the babies, NA already provided you with a simple observation that disproves what Lessans said.
Visual information in the form of shadows and patterns is not true sight, just as auditory noises inside the ear is not true hearing.

Infant vision according to Lessans from peacegirls above post. I snipped the superfluous crap to provide only the important points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
If a newborn infant was not permitted to have any sense experiences, the brain would never desire to focus the eyes to look through them at the external world no matter how much light was present.

if this infant was kept alive for fifty years or longer without allowing any stimuli to strike the other four organs of sense, this baby, child, young and middle aged person would never be able to focus the eyes to see any objects existing in that room no matter how much light was present or how colorful they might be because the conditions necessary for sight have been removed, and there is absolutely nothing in the external world that travels from an object and impinges on the optic nerve to cause it.
So, according to Lessans, stimulation of the other four senses is a necessary condition for sight development.
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
I never said they can't see something; they just can't see before their eyes are focused. Scientists believe the ciliary muscles need development.
These muscles allow you to form an image of faces at different distances. However if they are not developed enough to change the shape of the eye lens then only objects at a single distance will be in focus. For infants that is about the distance between a mothers and infants face while nursing.

Quote:
Lessans said it's not the muscles of the eye that need development, but the brain that needs stimulation.
Okay, so he said it. So what? You may be cowed by everything Lessans ever wrote or said, but I am not. He can write anything he likes. Infants still mimic.

Last edited by naturalist.atheist; 09-18-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Visual information in the form of shadows and patterns is not true sight, just as auditory noises inside the ear is not true hearing.
Sure it is. Hearing something is hearing and seeing something is seeing, even if they are greatly impaired.

Once again, I do not have binocular vision due to amblyopia. The visual information I receive is greatly diminished from what others receive. Are you saying I do not have true sight?

Does someone with an 80% hearing loss not truly hear that 20% of what they hear?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not demanding what I'm not willing to do myself. I don't see proof that infants can see well enough to mimic. At 51/2 weeks this baby did stick his tongue out, but whether he was imitating his father is questionable since he was not looking directly at him. There is no proof in this video that this was what the baby was doing, even though they both stuck out their tongues in close succession.
Good girl peacegirl. Your daddy would be proud. But this is no way to sell books.

In any case if you stick with this then you are gonna have to heavily re-edit the book to take out all the statements alluding to the infallibility of science. Because infant mimicking is science. Otherwise people will immediately think Lessans is a cook.

You see, by the time youtube videos show up of people trying this experiment on their newborns, it is common knowledge. They are gonna know that Lessans didn't have a clue.

Last edited by naturalist.atheist; 09-18-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Decline and Fall of All Evil: Chapter Four: Words, Not Reality pp. 117-118

“I understand from a doctor that the muscles of the eyes have not
yet developed sufficiently to allow this focusing.”

“And he believes this because this is what he was taught, but it is
not the truth. In fact, if an infant was placed in a soundproof room
that would eliminate the possibility of sense experience which is a
prerequisite of sight, even though the eyelids were permanently
removed, he could never have the desire to see. If a newborn infant
was not permitted to have any sense experiences, the brain would
never desire to focus the eyes to look through them at the external
world no matter how much light was present. Consequently, even
though the lids were removed, and even though many colorful objects
were placed in front of the baby, he could never see because the brain
is not looking.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but are children born deaf incapable or seeing?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Wanted to add a few things to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I have also said that definitions mean diddly squat as far as reality is concerned unless it reflects what is going on in reality. That's why definitions can be dangerous because people get stuck on the definition, and can't get beyond an inaccurate one (e.g., what is happening with the definition of determinism).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
That's very convenient for you. You can't define the terms you, yourself, are using so you just declare definitions meaningless? Without clearly defined terms we can't communicate using a common language. Definitions aren't dangerous, they are necessary. If you need to re-define something to make your meaning clear, great, DO SO. Offer your definition. Without some kind of definition you are talking gibberish. I meted the rolly gardening at anchor!
Quote:
Lessans gave his definition of determinism, which reconciles the two opposing ideologies that have caused such dissension between the freewillers and the determinists. Do you even know what his definition is, which is just a clarification of the standard definition? I don't mean to put you on the spot, but unfortunately people are saying that his definition is wrong when they don't even know what it is they are disagreeing with.
We were discussing the definition of sight/seeing/vision, not determinism.

Nice subject changing attempt though.

Quote:
No, I have explained his definition of determinism, which is what I am referring to. It is spelled out in the book, yet the knee jerk response is it can't be right because he's making up his own definition to make it fit his [theory]. That is not true. If you want to go back and revisit his definition of determinism, that's fine. When I gave that answer I was responding to the nature of definitions in general. Some are more reflective of what is going on in reality than others. Definitions are subject to modification as we gain a better understanding of reality.
I was not discussing determinism, and made no mention of it, so your response is irrelevant.
It was relevant. I wasn't obligated to refer to sight. We were talking about definitions so any example would do.

Quote:
I have made a repeated request for you to define sight/seeing/vision in a way that is not circular and that does not include the transfer/gain/detection of information and/or data.

If you cannot define it in such a way, I offered you the option of explaining what is happening in reality where sight/seeing/vision does NOT include transfer/gain/detection of information and/or data
I don't know how to satisfy the definition you want. I have never been circular, and I have already explained why I don't believe efferent vision can be disqualified on the grounds that it's faster than light since nothing is traveling.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
We were talking about definitions so any example would do.
Nice try. We were discussing the definition of sight/vision so no, not any example would do.

Quote:
I have made a repeated request for you to define sight/seeing/vision in a way that is not circular and that does not include the transfer/gain/detection of information and/or data.

If you cannot define it in such a way, I offered you the option of explaining what is happening in reality where sight/seeing/vision does NOT include transfer/gain/detection of information and/or data
Quote:
I don't know how to satisfy the definition you want.
I want YOUR definition or explanation of sight/vision/seeing, that explains what exactly it is.

If you were writing the definition for the dictionary, so others understood what you meant when you said "Sight" or "Vision" or "Seeing", what would you write?

Non circular means you cannot define the word by itself, like "Sight it seeing" or "Vision is seeing" or "Sight is vision".
Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, the mirror reflection is not the object. The object is the object, and in this case the person in the mirror is seen because of that person being present in real time. The light may have been bent so we don't see that person directly, but that has no bearing on what I'm talking about.
The above statement contradicts the statement below.

Quote:
I just want to say, once again, that I have never seen a camera detect light being reflected off of an individual and have that light made into a photograph without the individual (the object) being in view of the camera's lens.
If the reflection is not the object, and the object must be in view of the cameras lens, what object is being photographed when you photograph a reflection?
When you photograph a reflection you are photographing an image of the object. To take a photograph of an image, the actual object has to be present. Because of the way light bends, the object may not be in view of the camera, granted, but it's always present. If the object was removed, there would be no image to photograph.

Quote:
TLR was responding with a photograph of a reflection, which refutes your recent statements that a "reflection is not the object" and "the object must be in view of the camera lens"
I explained how the reflection is the object in such a photograph according to you, giving you an out
You claim we are both wrong

So how you gonna weasel now?
The reflection is not the object. The reflection is an image of the object.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I don't believe efferent vision can be disqualified on the grounds that it's faster than light since nothing is traveling.
Information about the object being seen is attained during the process of seeing, yes or no?

If no, then what is seeing if not perceiving, detecting, attaining, or otherwise gaining information about something that is not inside your brain?

If yes, then information has traveled from point A (whatever is being seen) to point B (your brain).
Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Reality Adventurer

Here is one shot in a mirror no less.

&NR=1
Old 09-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
The reflection is an image of the object.
Explain and/or define "image", with regards to a photograph of a reflection, that does not include the camera detecting and creating an image from light itself.

If the object is not traveling to the mirror then bouncing off to be in the camera's field of view then what is the camera detecting and how does it create an image?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Explain and/or define "image", with regards to a photograph of a reflection, that does not include the camera detecting and creating an image from light itself.

If the object is not traveling to the mirror then bouncing off to be in the camera's field of view then what is the camera detecting and how does it create an image?
Forget cameras, what are we seeing? If we see efferently then why is it that we can't see objects behind us without a mirror?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Listen peacegirl. If the photons left a star 20 minutes ago, and then the star was sucked into a black hole 5 minutes ago and can longer emit light and no longer can be seen, the photons still exist and are still traveling and can still be detected when they reach Earth in however many years. Does that make really not make sense to you?

Just because the star is not there emitting light "now" doesn't mean those photons disappeared. They were already on their way.
Quote:
On their way?
Yes, on their way, because "the photons left a star 20 minutes ago"
Quote:
It's like you believe that Hubble was waiting for the photons to arrive as they went on their merry way through space and time, but just happened to get caught up in a black hole which is why they were late in arriving?
What are you talking about? Are you able to read English?

I created a hypothetical of a star having already emitted photons 20 minutes ago (in all possible directions), photons that are now traveling at the speed of light through space. They left the star and are already 100's of thousands of miles away from the star's original location, but then the star itself was sucked into a black hole 15 minutes later so is not emitting photons NOW.

Where are those photons that were emitted 20 minutes ago from a star that ceased to exist 5 minutes ago, do you think?

Quote:
Holy cow!!!! You say you don't believe in the thinking of religious fundies, but you actually believe that this thinking is rational; much more rational than the fundies you criticize?
I am now beginning to think N.A. is absolutely correct. You do not have the ability to even comprehend what we are talking about.

How on Earth did you read all this nonsense into my very clear hypothetical?
Look, it all boils down to whether images can be seen without the light source. If light travels and carries the frequencies and wavelength of a star that has gone into a black hole, it is assumed we would see the past because the light is independent of the star itself. That is the big question mark. Would we?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 PM

We can see reflections, rainbows, words and pictures on computer monitors, the aurora, lasers, and images on TV screens because they are images, which is just the same as an object. Or something. This in no way means we detect light itself.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Look, it all boils down to whether images can be seen without the light source.
Good point peacegirl. The only images I can see without a light source are mental images. What you might call "inward seeing". But for me personally, everything else requires light.

How do you do it?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The camera creates an image because of the light that is reflected off of the person. I'm confusing you by saying "in the camera's field of view." The person is not in the camera's field of view in that instant, but the person is there. If the person fell into a black hole and disappeared, would we see an image of that person in the mirror? :eek:

Quote:
Forget cameras, what are we seeing? If we see efferently then why is it that we can't see objects behind us without a mirror?
Because we don't have eyes in the back of our head, that's why. How could we see objects behind us without light reflecting off of those objects onto a mirror which would then allow us to see an image of what is behind us?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Look, it all boils down to whether images can be seen without the light source. If light travels and carries the frequencies and wavelength of a star that has gone into a black hole, it is assumed we would see the past because the light is independent of the star itself. That is the big question mark. Would we?
Yes of course. Because light is simply released energy and once released it exists independently of its source.

Energy can not be created or destroyed, remember (Laws of Thermodynamics), so if the source of the light, in this case a star, is gone in a back hole, the energy it already released in the form of light still exists and travels until/unless it is absorbed and converted to some other form of energy (by transduction, for example, or photosynthesis, or conversion to a digital value as in Hubble's CCD)

Last edited by LadyShea; 09-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Because we don't have eyes in the back of our head, that's why. How could we see objects behind us without light reflecting off of us onto a mirror which would allow us to see an image?
Okay, let me see if I understand you. You can't see an image in a mirror unless there is light that reflects off you?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy