Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
When scientists "disagree" they point out the flaws in methodology or present new contradictory evidence, and then more tests are run and repeated and the theory can be revised or abandoned. There is no acceptance as fact based on faith alone.
No, but science is based on evidence, and sometimes the evidence isn't what it's cracked up to be. His observations were spot on whether you see it or not. He demonstrated exactly why man's will is not free.
Evidence is spot on when it convinces the objective people it is. Evidence isn't spot on when it convinces no one or cults would just be what we accept. seriously spot on is not spot on because some guy had an epiphany no one else got. Sure religions are founded on some nut bar speaking to God, but I like to think we have grown since then, we now think scientology is shit and just about any new age nonsense is subject to enquiry because we learnt that people can be wrong. Sometimes people are wrong. Sometimes we're all just barking up the wrong tree. It takes common sense to notice when.
That's true. We need to take everything with a grain of salt. That's what I was taught. But this is different than scientology, or new age nonsense.
Ahhh but why is it, that is what you have yet to prove?

Ahhhhhhh.

You can't just bang on about a lilly any more. These are more sophisticated times. We don't just fall for parables. If there is a grain of salt that fits in everyone's eyes, then you have to accept that a grain of salt is what everyone's eye needs. Being skeptical is not a preserve for you, it is what everyone does. If you don't accept anything without an overwhelming amount of evidence, why do you expect everyone else to?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
That was too elementary LadyShea. Do you think I'm a first grader? :yup:

Considering the way you've ignored everything else, we need to start somewhere. BTW, are you saying that you accept what was presented in the link?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
What is your excuse?
I'm still having fun, and you?
Ahhhh, so you derive fun from grouching about the same thing over and over.
And how is this relivant to the topic, or do I need to envoke my rule 'Don't feed the Trolls'.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 AM

That.

--J.D.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When scientists "disagree" they point out the flaws in methodology or present new contradictory evidence, and then more tests are run and repeated and the theory can be revised or abandoned. There is no acceptance as fact based on faith alone.
No, but science is based on evidence, and sometimes the evidence isn't what it's cracked up to be. His observations were spot on whether you see it or not. He demonstrated exactly why man's will is not free.
Evidence is spot on when it convinces the objective people it is. Evidence isn't spot on when it convinces no one or cults would just be what we accept. seriously spot on is not spot on because some guy had an epiphany no one else got. Sure religions are founded on some nut bar speaking to God, but I like to think we have grown since then, we now think scientology is shit and just about any new age nonsense is subject to enquiry because we learnt that people can be wrong. Sometimes people are wrong. Sometimes we're all just barking up the wrong tree. It takes common sense to notice when.
That's true. We need to take everything with a grain of salt. That's what I was taught. But this is different than scientology, or new age nonsense.

Ahhhhhhh.

Oh my god, that was tooo funny. I was guffawing all over the place. :laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
You can't just bang on about a lilly any more. These are more sophisticated times. We don't just fall for parables. If there is a grain of salt that fits in everyone's eyes, then you have to accept that a grain of salt is what everyone's eye needs. Being skeptical is not a preserve for you, it is what everyone does. If you don't accept anything without an overwhelming amount of evidence, why do you expect everyone else to?
But there is evidence. I'm not expecting you to be a lilly. :D
Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
But there is evidence.

Then show us.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:37 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
I told you I read the part of TLR essay that was relevant to the discussion.
You are not the judge of what is relevant.

Quote:
Your father was peer reviewed found wanting and failed to make an impression.
Her father's work was never peer reviewed. The very notion of his work being subject to peer review is just fantastic, for the very simple reason that Lessans had no peers. He was peerless. He was the nonpareil of science and philosophy. Peer review? Don't make me laugh.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:37 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is your excuse?
I'm still having fun, and you?
Ahhhh, so you derive fun from grouching about the same thing over and over.
Very much like you, apparently.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Her father's work was never peer reviewed. The very notion of his work being subject to peer review is just fantastic, for the very simple reason that Lessans had no peers. He was peerless. He was the nonpareil of science and philosophy. Peer review? Don't make me laugh.
Yeah I know, but then what does peer mean? It wasn't peer reviewed by experts because he isn't one, it was trashed by amateurs like us. I guess that is a form of peer review. I was never suggesting (and I never thought) seriously that it was submitted to a philosophy or science journal though so don't worry, I was just showing how unforgiving peer review can be.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhhhhhh.

Quote:
No there isn't you can't just say there is evidence and expect everyone to accept that, you have to show us it, it's not religion.

The lilly is an analogy as was my analogy to it obviously. A load of credulous people sitting around being spoon fed trite messages, until one man says hold on that's crap isn't it Jesus?

I think there's 8 in the series from Ian (who seems to have a problem with the metaphor of fishers of men, and is strictly not gay or anything.) to Satan, all of them are really funny. The parable of the Vineyard owner, Lazarus's disgust at being raised from the dead and The Last supper one's good too, "Well I'm not paying as much as everyone else as I didn't have any wine?"
"No wine Peter?"
"Well you said there was all blood in it."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhmen.

Last edited by Sidhe; 07-22-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 AM

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I am the judge of this work because I've read it many times and understand it; you haven't read this book even once. Your opinion isn't worth a can of beans.

Quote:
That's a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
I'm sorry if he wasn't able to get it reviewed because of his circumstances. Why would you blame him for this? He did nothing wrong except make a discovery.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhhhhhh.

Quote:
Quote:
No there isn't you can't just say there is evidence and expect everyone to accept that, you have to show us it, it's not religion.
I was trying to demonstrate why man's will is not free. It's not just a tautology, but no one is interested.

Quote:
The lilly is an analogy as was my analogy to it obviously. A load of credulous people sitting around being spoon fed trite messages, until one man says hold on that's crap isn't it Jesus?
I know, it was such a great spoof on religion. I loved it.

I think there's 8 in the series from Ian (who seems to have a problem with the metaphor of fishers of men, and is strictly not gay or anything.) to Satan, all of them are really funny. The parable of the Vineyard owner, Lazarus's disgust at being raised from the dead and The Last supper one's good too, "Well I'm not paying as much as everyone else as I didn't have any wine?"
"No wine Peter?"
"Well you said there was all blood in it."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhmen.
I've got to go to youtube. If they're as funny as this one, I'm going to be lmao all day. :D
Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

--J.D.
I don't know where you come up with all these wisecracks, but thanks for the comic relief. :wink:
Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
I was trying to demonstrate why man's will is not free. It's not just a tautology, but no one is interested.
It is a tautology. That doesn't mean it's false, not all tautologies are false. It's not even false because of the modal fallacy employed, which yes, Lessans reasoning is fallacious.

Lessans conclusion about mans will not being free may be absolutely true, but A)he did not present a falsifiable scientific hypothesis that can be tested and B) it is not a mathematical formula that can be proved.

It's an assertion, an opinion, for which he gave his personal reasons only. So, people can and will disagree based on the poor fallacious reasoning, or on the fact that they have different ideas.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It is a tautology. That doesn't mean it's false, not all tautologies are false. It's not even false because of the modal fallacy employed, which yes, Lessans reasoning is fallacious.
No, it's not a tautology. You made it into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Lessans conclusion about mans will not being free may be absolutely true, but A)he did not present a falsifiable scientific hypothesis that can be tested and B) it is not a mathematical formula that can be proved.
You keep going back to epistomology, and according to you the only way to prove something is to set up a hypothesis. THAT IS NOT HOW HE CAME TO HIS CONCLUSIONS, YET THEY ARE UNDENIABLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
It's an assertion, an opinion, for which he gave his personal reasons only. So, people can and will disagree based on the poor fallacious reasoning, or on the fact that they have different ideas.
You're all washed up LadyShea. Sorry bout that. :(
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
No, it's not a tautology. You made it into one.
You obviously don't understand what a tautology is, because yes, it is one. It's a textbook example as a matter of fact.

Of course you know this, which is why you refuse to lay out the argument syllogistically.

Quote:
You keep going back to epistomology, and according to you the only way to prove something is to set up a hypothesis.
Epistomology is a branch of philosophy. Are you saying Lessans employed philosophy? If so, then lets see the very sound reasoning.

The only ways to provide evidence for a "universal law" (such as the laws of physics) is through scientific methodology or mathematical proof. If you don't have either of those, what are you left with?

Quote:
THAT IS NOT HOW HE CAME TO HIS CONCLUSIONS, YET THEY ARE UNDENIABLE.
Saying it's so doesn't make it so.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You're all washed up LadyShea. Sorry bout that.
If you/Lessans can't argue well enough to convince me, how can you hope to convince real scientists or world leaders?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am the judge of this work because I've read it many times and understand it; you haven't read this book even once. Your opinion isn't worth a can of beans.

Quote:
That's a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
I'm sorry if he wasn't able to get it reviewed because of his circumstances. Why would you blame him for this? He did nothing wrong except make a discovery.
A discovery implies he actually was right and not just as the comic sketch puts it full of shit. And no its not a lie some people reviewed his book, us mostly at the moment and they didn't buy it for one second. That's peer review I believe.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
You're all washed up LadyShea. Sorry bout that.
If you/Lessans can't argue well enough to convince me, how can you hope to convince real scientists or world leaders?
Yeah let's face it most cult leaders don't convince people by being right, they have some charisma thing going on. Perhaps he was not as approchable as the usual cult head, David Koresh or that guy who was wating for the mother ship in South America.

Of course if you are right you don't need to have a winning personality, I'm told Newton was a complete asshole and few people liked him. Gravity did happen to work according to his inverse square law and its effect was although not instantaneous as he argued, as fast as light, inventing calculus simultaneously with Liebniz was pretty cool too and the other stuff with prisms and so on.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm Deplorable.

I believe that it is also important to have an idea that is based on evidence, sound reasoning, or some other demonstratable line of argument. That Lessans reasoning was unsound, there was no evidence, and all he presented were assertions from authority, which he also failed to establish. In the final analysis the book has very little to recomend it, and Peacegirl has provided nothing to support it, except "It's so because Daddy says so." .
Old 07-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
I believe that it is also important to have an idea that is based on evidence, sound reasoning, or some other demonstratable line of argument. That Lessans reasoning was unsound, there was no evidence, and all he presented were assertions from authority, which he also failed to establish. In the final analysis the book has very little to recomend it, and Peacegirl has provided nothing to support it, except "It's so because Daddy says so." .
I shall hence forth name this the Santa effect, believing preposterous hog wash just because your parents tell you to and you love them, and why would they lie or like how can they be wrong?

By the way kiddies by Santa I mean the fact that he dressed up like a Coca Cola advert, obviously. ;)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:07 PM
null and void

Default As of 'now': 352 pages of stalemate...

...this thread is a (sad) example of 'irresistible force versus immovable object'.

"Well, PG won't stop!"

Then, why don't 'you' stop?

"Hell no! The Honor of Science, Logic, and all things Good is at stake! Besides, I'm bored and got nuthin' better to do..."

:indifferent:
Old 07-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Hello, hello, hello.

PG, in regards to this real-time sight business.

One light-minute (18 million km) away from me is a light which can shine either red or blue.

The light switches on shining red. According to you, I will instantly see it as red even though no red light has reached me yet.

After one minute, the red light reaches me, and I will definitely see it as red whether in your real-time sight scenario or in the standard sight scenario. There is now an 18 million km-long beam of red light between me and the light source.

Now, the light switches to shine blue. What do I see? According to you, I instantly see the light shining blue. However the blue light will not reach me for one minute and for that whole minute, the beam of still-travelling red light will still be streaming into my eyes. So do I see red light? Do I see blue light?

Do I see purple light?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 PM

Hello liminus, what brings you here to :ff:?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy