Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

:catlady:

--J.D.
I'm being intellectually honest. I always have been.
:awesome:

Oh, rully? Then why did you not read The Lone Ranger's 35-page essay on how we see, while demanding that strangers on the Internet read a 589-page pile of crap that your own children won't read?

:lol:
Is that your big excuse david, that I didn't read 35 pages of TLR essay? That's getting old. Could you find something new to attack? Come on David, give me something to ruminate on, think about, wonder if I'm right or wrong. That being said, I do have to admit that this was a very thorough model of afferent sight, and I appreciate that The Lone Ranger took the time to offer it to me.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

--J.D.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
There you go again telling me that my father and I have character flaws. Where is that coming from? I guess we all have some flaws, but that is irrelevant and off topic. We're not talking about me; we're talking about the principles in the book. Why can't you separate the two?

Lessans character flaw, primarily that inability to distinguish fantasy from reality, is a major factor in the content of the book. His imaginary conversations, where he overwhelmed his companion with his brilliance, clearly illustrate his delusions of grandeur bordering on the messianic. That he did not display this openly is irrevelant as it is clearly indicated in his book, along with his desire to be considered the equal of the educated accademics he secretly idolized.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael
Well, you chose some really vacuous questions, and apparently also thought that upon hearing Lessans reiterate what he'd already said as though it was an answer to those questions the questioner would be inspired to fawn and adore at the feet of the Master.
Who was asking for people to fawn after Lessans? This is horrible. I never wanted this in my wildest dreams.

Perhaps you did not look for this but Lessans did, he desprately wanted to be recognized as a genius, with others showering him with praise for his great discovery and contribution to humanity. Why else would he claim that his informal "education" was superior to those with recognized accademic credentials.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Is that your big excuse david, that I didn't read 35 pages of TLR essay?

No, it is that you refuse to face the truth in order to propogate your fiction.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
Quote:

--J.D.
I'm being intellectually honest. I always have been.
:awesome:

Oh, rully? Then why did you not read The Lone Ranger's 35-page essay on how we see, while demanding that strangers on the Internet read a 589-page pile of crap that your own children won't read?

:lol:
Is that your big excuse david, that I didn't read 35 pages of TLR essay? That's getting old. Could you find something new to attack? Come on David, give me something to ruminate on, think about, wonder if I'm right or wrong. That being said, I do have to admit that this was a very thorough model of afferent sight, and I appreciate that The Lone Ranger took the time to offer it to me.
:foocl:
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
There you go again telling me that my father and I have character flaws. Where is that coming from? I guess we all have some flaws, but that is irrelevant and off topic. We're not talking about me; we're talking about the principles in the book. Why can't you separate the two?

Lessans character flaw, primarily that inability to distinguish fantasy from reality, is a major factor in the content of the book. His imaginary conversations, where he overwhelmed his companion with his brilliance, clearly illustrate his delusions of grandeur bordering on the messianic. That he did not display this openly is irrevelant as it is clearly indicated in his book, along with his desire to be considered the equal of the educated accademics he secretly idolized.
Look doc, I knew him, you didn't. Everything you're saying is a projection that is in your head. This was not who he was, so please stop mischaracterizing him. Why do you keep trying to tell me, his daughter, what kind of man he was, when I know what kind of man he was. He was a kind, intelligent man with no display of brilliance, no secret jealousy, and no delusions of grandeur. You don't know what you're talking about.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Is that your big excuse david, that I didn't read 35 pages of TLR essay?

No, it is that you refuse to face the truth in order to propogate your fiction.
Why are you so bent on trying to convince me that this book is fiction. What is your pay off? There has to be some reason why you can't change the subject. I'm not going to defend myself anymore.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael
Well, you chose some really vacuous questions, and apparently also thought that upon hearing Lessans reiterate what he'd already said as though it was an answer to those questions the questioner would be inspired to fawn and adore at the feet of the Master.
Who was asking for people to fawn after Lessans? This is horrible. I never wanted this in my wildest dreams.

Perhaps you did not look for this but Lessans did, he desprately wanted to be recognized as a genius, with others showering him with praise for his great discovery and contribution to humanity.
WRONG!!! MAYBE THAT'S YOUR SECRET WISH DOC, NOT HIS. AS I SAID, IT'S A PROJECTION THAT'S IN YOUR HEAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
Why else would he claim that his informal "education" was superior to those with recognized accademic credentials.
It's very clear why. He was not looked up to like the people who had credentials, so he had to explain that even though he went to the 7th grade he had studied as much or more than any Ph.D. He didn't want that to get in the way of people taking him seriously. I don't understand why this is so difficult.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:03 AM

--J.D.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Look doc, I knew him, you didn't. Everything you're saying is a projection that is in your head. This was not who he was, so please stop mischaracterizing him. Why do you keep trying to tell me, his daughter, what kind of man he was, when I know what kind of man he was. He was a kind, intelligent man with no display of brilliance, no secret jealousy, and no delusions of grandeur. You don't know what you're talking about.

You saw what he wanted you to see, he put his real self into the book, but you are too blind to see the truth. You saw a perfect and wonderful father, but are blind to see what he projected in the book. Keep your fantasy but the real Lessans is in the book and clear for all to see if they just read with an open mind. Yours is obviously closed to anything but your image of the perfect father. I see what he presented in the book, you see what he presented to you as a father, the two are quite different.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
What is your pay off?
My 'pay off' is the propogation of the truth as opposed to some fiction that has no basis in reality.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 AM

:nelson:* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * :catlady:

--J.D.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
MAYBE THAT'S YOUR SECRET WISH DOC, NOT HIS.
Quote:
Why else would he claim that his informal "education" was superior to those with recognized accademic credentials.
It's very clear why. He was not looked up to like the people who had credentials, so he had to explain that even though he went to the 7th grade he had studied as much or more than any Ph.D.
I have no wish for public acclaim, I enjoy the quiet life with my grandchildren, but Lessans even stated that he wanted to be accepted as an educated individual. And just how would he know what a Ph.D had studied that he would claim to have a better education. He didn't know but was only guessing based on a lot of pool room gossip and no real knowledge of what was required to achieve a Ph.D. He hadn't done it and had no more idea of what earning a Ph.D required than I do. I have a HS diploma and a BS in education so I know what is required, Lessans had no such knowledge of the requirements and was a fool to even think that some random reading list could compare to the research and study that a Ph.D needed to do to achieve that level of acomplishment. He only displayed his stupidity in making such a claim as being an equal to a recognized accademic. A bit of humility would have served him well.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 AM

:nelson:

--J.D.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You saw what he wanted you to see, he put his real self into the book, but you are too blind to see the truth. You saw a perfect and wonderful father, but are blind to see what he projected in the book. Keep your fantasy but the real Lessans is in the book and clear for all to see if they just read with an open mind. Yours is obviously closed to anything but your image of the perfect father. I see what he presented in the book, you see what he presented to you as a father, the two are quite different.
Once again, you're wrong. This is your big come back because you can't believe he had an actual discovery, so you paint a warped picture of me as a devoted daughter whose father can do no wrong, and him as someone who was in a fantasy world of his own. It's insane, so stop accusing us, okay? You would feel very bad if you found out that you had been wrong all along.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
What is your pay off?
My 'pay off' is the propogation of the truth as opposed to some fiction that has no basis in reality.
But you are not the judge as to whether this book has value, so stop spouting off things you know nothing about.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
MAYBE THAT'S YOUR SECRET WISH DOC, NOT HIS.
Quote:
It's very clear why. He was not looked up to like the people who had credentials, so he had to explain that even though he went to the 7th grade he had studied as much or more than any Ph.D.
I have no wish for public acclaim, I enjoy the quiet life with my grandchildren, but Lessans even stated that he wanted to be accepted as an educated individual.
He did not say that, so now you're the one lying.

Quote:
And just how would he know what a Ph.D had studied that he would claim to have a better education. He didn't know but was only guessing based on a lot of pool room gossip and no real knowledge of what was required to achieve a Ph.D. He hadn't done it and had no more idea of what earning a Ph.D required than I do. I have a HS diploma and a BS in education so I know what is required, Lessans had no such knowledge of the requirements and was a fool to even think that some random reading list could compare to the research and study that a Ph.D needed to do to achieve that level of acomplishment. He only displayed his stupidity in making such a claim as being an equal to a recognized accademic. A bit of humility would have served him well.
He wasn't taking credit away from people who worked hard to receive a Ph.D. That wasn't the point of the dialogue. Have you read anything doc? He was just trying to get people to see that even though he didn't go that route, he had something valuable to offer. Obviously, if people weren't going to open the book because they believed he didn't have the "proper credentials", it would prevent this knowledge from coming to light.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 PM

--J.D.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:

:nelson:* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * :catlady:

--J.D.
Won't you be sick if he turns out to be right. :yup:
Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned for death threats

You can't handle the truth!

Sorry just came out.

By the way I know this might sound a strange question but what pseudophilosophical claptrap or work of insightful genius did this guy actually write anyway?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:

--J.D.
More cutting I think is if you find out that he was full of shit how would you feel, after all we have nothing invested in our beliefs they are just standard ones that we have yet to see overturned.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
You can't handle the truth!

Sorry just came out.

By the way I know this might sound a strange question but what pseudophilosophical claptrap or work of insightful genius did this guy actually write anyway?
Sidhe, you tell me I can't handle the truth and in the next breath you ask what he actually wrote about. Don't you find that rather odd?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

--J.D.
More cutting I think is if you find out that he was full of shit how would you feel, after all we have nothing invested in our beliefs they are just standard ones that we have yet to see overturned.
That's exactly where all the hatred is coming from. This is not a typical fundamentalist idea, so it's no surprise that people have rejected anything this man has to say on the grounds that there is no empirical evidence to prove that he is right. Isn't it strange that people can't, at the very least, be a little cautionary in their rush to judgment? It's too late though. This book has threatened a lot of people and the vitriol has gone up in just proportion.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
but Lessans even stated that he wanted to be accepted as an educated individual.
He did not say that, so now you're the one lying.

The bottom of page 539 in regards to his many books he read,

Lessans wrote,
"....I am now regarded as a highly educated individual, an intellectual."

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy