Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-01-2011, 03:04 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Well lets see,
DoctorX is a mean liar.
Vivisectus is angry.
Kael is making fun.
Stephen Maturin is a complete Son Of a Bitch.
Davidm is Jaded.
Henry is her last vestige of hope.
I'm crazy and vindictive and post shit.
Peacegirl won't touch evolution w/ a 10' pole.
We seem to be missing a few, Peasegirl would you like to fill in the blanks?
Thanks, from:
davidm (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

I am too angry to communicate with, probably not as happy as those who have faith, and getting quite nasty in my old age.
Thanks, from:
davidm (07-01-2011), Stephen Maturin (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
It's now time to rewind; get the book out of your mind, and forget that I was ever here.
Unfortunately this book has left a lasting impression, mostly in a negatively humorous way. If I find a copy for a couple of dollars I may pick it up, just for reference as a bad example. Other than that we can only hope that this book goes the way of other books like this, to oblivion. Though I think at least one copy should be preserved, so others will not make the same mistakes.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I am too angry to communicate with, probably not as happy as those who have faith, and getting quite nasty in my old age.
If I remember correctly, you were declared "too angry to communicate" on like page 1 or 2. Yet here we are, literally several hundred pages later, and you've been communicating the whole time. Seymour (pbuh) be praised!

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
davidm (07-01-2011), Naru (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
A nice glass of wine might help that.
Thanks, from:
davidm (07-01-2011), Kael (07-01-2011), Stephen Maturin (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
If I remember correctly, you were declared "too angry to communicate" on like page 1 or 2. Yet here we are, literally several hundred pages later, and you've been communicating the whole time. Seymour (pbuh) be praised!

We should at least give Seymour and Peacegirl credit for having a certain communicative effect on people.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 AM

I am a RIVER to my people.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
davidm (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Spiffiest wanger

I am Einstein's protege and the most jaded person peacegirl ever met (take that, Maturin! :grin:) and I have now made that my sig. :wave:
Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I am Einstein's protege and the most jaded person peacegirl ever met (take that, Maturin! :grin:) and I have now made that my sig. :wave:
I just can't tell you how proud I am of your accomplishment.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

--J.D.
Keep up the good work.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

--J.D.
Keep up the good work.
Thank you, it feels good. :D

I R Winnah! :winner:
Old 07-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
I just can't tell you how proud I am of your accomplishment.
Oops! :oops: Responded above to the wrong post. Redo here:

Thank you, it feels good. :D

I R Winnah! :winner:
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 AM

--J. "Thy Mother Mated with a Scorpion!" D.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:13 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
I thought he was adding to what doc said. You know, finding things about the book that don't exist. You can't blame for me this, since all he's done is put the book down in any way he can.
Maturin expressed his diagreement with the doc and you treated that disagreement as if it were not only agreement with the doc but even an amplification of the doc's claim. You say we can't blame you for this because Maturin has, in the past, always denigrated the book. Who, if not you, do you suppose ought to bear the blame for your failure to actually read and comprehend a post?

Quote:
I wanted to add here that I never went on to say that we DO have both Kael. Please don't misconstrue my words.
Quote:
We can't have both free will and determinism. That's an illusion. What he does is reconciles free will with determinism so that although will is not free, we are still able to make choices. Our autonomy is not being taken away, nor is our responsibility is being decreased.
Peacegirl, do me a favor, would you, and explain what you think it means to reconcile two opposing philisophical positions.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
There is another problem, Lessans says that people will take an examination to prove that they understand the rules and conditions of the new society to be a part of it. What happens if someone takes the exam, answers all the questions correctly but doesn't actually believe the principles. They could then take advantage of the system without fear of reprisal, they could have all the benefits with none of the responsability. I think I know a few people who could do that.
Now you are just being silly. Obviously, if someone understands the rules and conditions of the new society (i.e. understands the principles presented in Lessans' book) then it would follow that such a person would also agree 100% with those same rules and conditions. Being thus in full agreement with those rules and conditions there is no possible way that such a person could even entertain the desire to take advantage of the system that embodies those rules and conditions. Your whole objection is a non-starter and further evidence that you have neither read nor understood the book. You have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion. You should just go away somewhere and die. Maybe in a cornfield or the like. You could at least then be useful, as fertilizer.
Stephen Maturin (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
That is your "custom user title", not your sig.

You are such a stupid newb. It must be all those drugs you have taken.

Get a life.

Get a job.

Get a haircut.
davidm (07-02-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm Deplorable.

How about a musical intelude?

&feature=related
Enjoy.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Maybe in a cornfield or the like.
No, the cornfield was where all those bad people who had been transformed into something grotesque were sent by the little boy.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Now you are just being silly. Your whole objection is a non-starter and further evidence that you have neither read nor understood the book. You have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion.

It's times like this that I wish I'd listened to all the advice people were giving me when I was young.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 AM

It is times like this that I regret the loss of all those brain cells I killed during my disolute youth.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
It is times like this that I regret the loss of all those brain cells I killed during my disolute youth.

Are you sure you miss them, they would probably just stir up trouble, like the ones you still have.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Well lets see,
DoctorX is a mean liar.
Vivisectus is angry.
Kael is making fun.
Stephen Maturin is a complete Son Of a Bitch.
Davidm is Jaded.
Henry is her last vestige of hope.
I'm crazy and vindictive and post shit.
Peacegirl won't touch evolution w/ a 10' pole.
We seem to be missing a few, Peasegirl would you like to fill in the blanks?
There's too many blanks to fill in. And it's not my doing, sorry.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There is another problem, Lessans says that people will take an examination to prove that they understand the rules and conditions of the new society to be a part of it. What happens if someone takes the exam, answers all the questions correctly but doesn't actually believe the principles. They could then take advantage of the system without fear of reprisal, they could have all the benefits with none of the responsability. I think I know a few people who could do that.
Now you are just being silly. Obviously, if someone understands the rules and conditions of the new society (i.e. understands the principles presented in Lessans' book) then it would follow that such a person would also agree 100% with those same rules and conditions. Being thus in full agreement with those rules and conditions there is no possible way that such a person could even entertain the desire to take advantage of the system that embodies those rules and conditions. Your whole objection is a non-starter and further evidence that you have neither read nor understood the book. You have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion. You should just go away somewhere and die. Maybe in a cornfield or the like. You could at least then be useful, as fertilizer.
You're missing the whole point. There are no rules and conditions except during the transition which does require you, in order to receive the benefits of a guaranteed income, never to blame anyone. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to get this new world off the ground. It's like getting a rocket into space that has to remove the excess baggage before it can be free of the encumbrances. The misconception is that you have to do something. You don't have to do anything if you don't desire it. If you don't want to be a part of this new world, stay in the old one. Who is stopping you???? :doh:
Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:

We should at least give Seymour and Peacegirl credit for having a certain communicative effect on people.
I don't want to penalize interested people for the actions of one or two. It's true that when I hear these disgusting responses, I get upset. Afterall, I am human. Then I realize, thanks to LadyShea, that she is not anyone but herself. I can't blame LadyShea or anyone else for the actions of Stephen Maturin or Davidm. That doesn't mean it isn't hard on me. It's really hard, and I may opt out at anytime.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I thought he was adding to what doc said. You know, finding things about the book that don't exist. You can't blame for me this, since all he's done is put the book down in any way he can.
Maturin expressed his diagreement with the doc and you treated that disagreement as if it were not only agreement with the doc but even an amplification of the doc's claim. You say we can't blame you for this because Maturin has, in the past, always denigrated the book. Who, if not you, do you suppose ought to bear the blame for your failure to actually read and comprehend a post?
No one. My will is not free; that doesn't mean you can't correct me. Of course if I knew I did something wrong, I would want to correct it, but you can correct me without blaming me.

Quote:
I wanted to add here that I never went on to say that we DO have both Kael. Please don't misconstrue my words.
Quote:
We can't have both free will and determinism. That's an illusion. What he does is reconciles free will with determinism so that although will is not free, we are still able to make choices. Our autonomy is not being taken away, nor is our responsibility is being decreased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
Peacegirl, do me a favor, would you, and explain what you think it means to reconcile two opposing philisophical positions.
Sure, but I can't do it at this moment. Next time I log in.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy