Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-11-2011, 12:22 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
Accepting Lessans' premises, when they contradict what we believe we know to be true, requires that we willingly suspend our disbelief. Willing suspension of disbelief is an appropriate method for reading works of fantasy fiction. Whether you realize it or not, you are suggesting that we read Lessans' book as if it were a work of fantasy fiction.
I already offered that as a suggestion. I said that if the only way to get you to read the book is to think of it as science fiction, then maybe that's a good way to approach it. At least you'll read it. Hopefully it will take the pressure off to critique this work (which is causing serious problems), and instead, enjoy it. If it's read the way the author intended it to be read, maybe an interesting discussion will follow. Otherwise, we're at a dead end.
I have rather stringent requirements when it comes to reading fiction. The writing should be competent and the story line should be interesting. Lessans' book fails on both counts.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
I already told you that there is nothing being transmitted, or conveyed, so this really doesn't relate to the theory of relativity. .
But if nothing is being conveyed (only seen; which is instantaneous), then real time seeing is possible. Seeing an object is not receiving information until that information is at the point of being processed by the brain (which is time related).

Then how does the brain, looking out thru the eyes, acquire the image, if the object is some distance away. How does the image get to the eyes, or how does the brain, thru the eyes, get the image, from a distant object that is large enough to see, well lit, and in the line of sight?
Through photoreceptors, and through light that is a necessary condition. Doc, I really don't want to answer anymore sight questions at this time. I need a break from this discussion. I'm sure you can understand why. :yawn:
Isn't it charming how she uses the yawn smilie -- she is so preposterous as to suppose she is stating an evident fact, and is bored with repeating it to us slow people. :lol:
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
You want us to read the fucking thing twice??
But you don't understand, David. We're supposed to read it as a work of "science fiction." Doing that will "take the pressure off to critique this work," which is vitally important cuz all this pesky critiquing "is causing serious problems[.]"

Hell, if we read the book "the way the author intended" we'll even "enjoy it." Never mind the fact that Lessans' breathtakingly poor command of the English language renders reading that aggressively malodorous pile of shit as enjoyable as washing your eyeballs with lemon juice and a cheese grater. Simply read the book with the faith of a little child and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Quote:
But you don't understand, David. We're supposed to read it as a work of "science fiction." Doing that will "take the pressure off to critique this work," which is vitally important cuz all this pesky critiquing "is causing serious problems[.]"

Hell, if we read the book "the way the author intended" we'll even "enjoy it." Never mind the fact that Lessans' breathtakingly poor command of the English language renders reading that aggressively malodorous pile of shit as enjoyable as washing your eyeballs with lemon juice and a cheese grater. Simply read the book with the faith of a little child and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Actually, though, as I said early on, parts of it are very, VERY funny. The rumpy-pumpy on the dinner table, the letter to Nixon, the lawsuit against Carter, his descriptions of his earnest but failed interactions with the dreaded Men of Higher Learning, his lecturing of Will Durant, the dramatic way in which he revealed that in the future, husbands and wives would sleep in separate beds after sexual intercourse -- all this and much more very often provokes :foocl:

Of course, none of it is intentionally funny, but you can't have everything.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:15 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post

:tree:

:mindblow:

Does this make it easier for you to understand that information is somehow passing between two points when we see?
Seeing is the acquiring of information about the object being seen. The brain does other stuff with the information it acquires, but seeing is the act of acquiring. Information has been transferred.

You are purposefully making yourself look like the stupidest of morons by continuing to claim you don't understand or accept this simplest of facts.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well on our way to 400, ?
Are we there yet ?

??

??

??
??
??
?? - I'm getting thirsty.
??
??
?? can you hurry, I gotta go.
??
??
??
??
??
??
I see with my little eye, - light!
??
Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist.atheist View Post
Quote:
Point 4: That is a violation of Relativity Theory. In fact, a more clear-cut violation of the theory would be difficult to imagine, since practically the entire point of Relativity Theory is that information cannot propagate faster than the speed of light.
Although it would appear that peacegirl has a loose grip on physics, your statement is not entirely correct. Due to Lorentz contraction one can't accelerate an object of finite mass to the speed of light since it would require more energy than exists in the observable universe. The equations do predict that if there were such a thing as imaginary mass it would automatically travel faster than light with a speed proportional to the inverse of the imaginary mass. These are theoretical particles known as tachyons. Other theories rule them out as unstable but SR says nothing about that. And of course phase can travel faster than light but it can't carry information.

If you are going to scold peacegirl take care that you know what you're talking about.
I'm well aware of the hypothetical existence of tachyons, TYVM. I'm also aware that there's no known mechanism by which they could be used for FTL communication.
That may be the case but as far as SR is concerned information in imaginary mass space could be transmitted faster than light.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Point 4: That is a violation of Relativity Theory. In fact, a more clear-cut violation of the theory would be difficult to imagine, since practically the entire point of Relativity Theory is that information cannot propagate faster than the speed of light.
Although it would appear that peacegirl has a loose grip on physics, your statement is not entirely correct. Due to Lorentz contraction one can't accelerate an object of finite mass to the speed of light since it would require more energy than exists in the observable universe. The equations do predict that if there were such a thing as imaginary mass it would automatically travel faster than light with a speed proportional to the inverse of the imaginary mass. These are theoretical particles known as tachyons. Other theories rule them out as unstable but SR says nothing about that. And of course phase can travel faster than light but it can't carry information.

If you are going to scold peacegirl take care that you know what you're talking about.
I'm well aware of the hypothetical existence of tachyons, TYVM. I'm also aware that there's no known mechanism by which they could be used for FTL communication.
That may be the case but as far as SR is concerned information in imaginary mass space could be transmitted faster than light.
Is this 'imaginary mass space' anything like Lessans 'Imaginary discoveries' leading to his 'imaginary Golden Age', based on 'Imaginary efferent vision'?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is this 'imaginary mass space' anything like Lessans 'Imaginary discoveries' leading to his 'imaginary Golden Age', based on 'Imaginary efferent vision'?
I have no idea. But I suspect imaginary mass space is more likely to be real than Lessans imaginings. At least there is some physics involved with imaginary mass space.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Only 17 posts til 6000!

:flowerdance::hangerdance::flowerdance:
Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:

It is true, though, Dear Doctor Maturin. Everyone knows it is MUCH more enjoyable if you just try to relax and enjoy it. Try having a drink first, and maybe give a good cough when trying to penetrate the more difficult subject matter.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
Accepting Lessans' premises, when they contradict what we believe we know to be true, requires that we willingly suspend our disbelief. Willing suspension of disbelief is an appropriate method for reading works of fantasy fiction. Whether you realize it or not, you are suggesting that we read Lessans' book as if it were a work of fantasy fiction.
I already offered that as a suggestion. I said that if the only way to get you to read the book is to think of it as science fiction, then maybe that's a good way to approach it. At least you'll read it. Hopefully it will take the pressure off to critique this work (which is causing serious problems), and instead, enjoy it. If it's read the way the author intended it to be read, maybe an interesting discussion will follow. Otherwise, we're at a dead end.
I have rather stringent requirements when it comes to reading fiction. The writing should be competent and the story line should be interesting. Lessans' book fails on both counts.
I can't blame you for what you desire to read or not to read. I said you can either read the book to see if it is a genuine discovery, and that was out because he didn't provide empirical data, which automatically makes his whole book nothing more than an opinion in your eyes. I then said read it as if it were science fiction in order to take the pressure off; and now you're saying that's out too. So I don't see any other options except not to read the book. You are obviously setting it up so you won't have to read the book, probably because you really don't think it's a worthwhile undertaking. That's up to you, my friend. But you will be missing out on a treasure.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, the more you read it, the easier these concepts will become.

Foreword: Decline and Fall of All Evil: The Most Important Discovery of Our Times.

<snip>

In view of the fact that the first two chapters must be studied
thoroughly before any other reading is done not only because it is a
key that will unlock a door to the greatest treasure in the history of
mankind, but also because the rest of the book, though much easier,
will not make any sense otherwise, a table of contents has been
omitted to preclude as much as possible someone opening the book at
random or reading in a desultory manner. Should you jump ahead
and read other chapters this work could appear like a fairy tale,
otherwise, the statement that truth is stranger than fiction will be
amply verified by the scientific world, or by yourself, if you are able to
follow the reasoning of mathematical relations.

If you find the first
two chapters difficult, don’t be discouraged because what follows will
help you understand it much better the second time around.
There
is some repetition for the purpose of reinforcing important points and
extending the principles in a more cohesive fashion, but despite all
efforts to make this work easier to understand it is still deep and will
require that you go at a snail’s pace reading many things over and over
again. When you have finally grasped the full significance and
magnitude of this work and further realize there has never been, and
will never be, another like it because of what is undeniably achieved,
you will cherish it throughout your entire life.

Well, would you like to see what happens when science, the
perception and extension of undeniable observations, takes over the
problems of human conflict as the result of a fantastic discovery?
Would you like to see that the mankind system has been obeying an
invariable law just as mathematically harmonious as that which
inheres in the solar system; a law that allowed a prophesy to be made
thousands of years ago and verified in the 20th century? Would you
like to learn, though this book has nothing whatever to do with
religion or philosophy, that your faith in God will finally be rewarded
with a virtual miracle, one that will shortly deliver us from all evil?

If
you are sincerely interested in seeing this fantastic transition to a new
way of life which must come about the moment this discovery is
thoroughly understood, all I ask is that you do not judge what you are
about to read in terms of your present knowledge but do everything in
your power to understand what is written by following the
mathematical relations implicitly expressed throughout. Please
remember that any truth revealed in a mathematical manner does not
require your approval for its validity, although it does necessitate your
understanding for recognition and development. And now my friends,
if you care to come along, let us embark; the hour is getting late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
But you don't understand David. We're supposed to read it as a work of "science fiction." Doing that will "take the pressure off to critique this work," which is vitally important cuz all this pesky critiquing "is causing serious problems[.]"
That's not what I'm saying at all. You have to give this man a chance instead of pulling his book apart before it's even read. That's what I'm objecting to, not a genuine critique. My God, all he wanted was a thorough investigation, but you're not providing it the way you're going about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Sometimes one's mind is so filled with information that they can't read without having that information intrude into an objective read. You've got to let go of your critiquing before the book is carefully read. You have not carefully read this book, so your judgment against it is based on nothing David. Nothing at all. You just don't like his discovery on efferent vision, so you highly resent him. That's really sad, especially that this doesn't contradict Einstein's theory of relativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
It is true, though, Dear Doctor Maturin. Everyone knows it is MUCH more enjoyable if you just try to relax and enjoy it. Try having a drink first, and maybe give a good cough when trying to penetrate the more difficult subject matter.
It is a difficult read if you've never thought in these terms. Stop making fun of it, and get down to brass tacks. You will be pleasantly surprised. :)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:50 PM

[quote=The Lone Ranger;952786]
Quote:
I know this is off topic, but I found an interesting overview of the history of medicine, and I'd like to share it.

The History of Medicine:

2000 BC

Here, eat this root.

1000 BC

That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.

1805 AD

That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.

1940 AD

That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.

1985 AD

That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.

2000 AD

That antibiotic doesn't work anymore. Here, eat this root...

Author Unknown :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger
If that were accurate, you might have a point.

As it is, though, it's somewhere between slander and outright lying.
The Lone Ranger, lighten up. This was meant to be humorous. Maybe this discussion has gotten to you, and nothing seems funny. :(

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-11-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I already told you that there is nothing being transmitted, or conveyed, so this really doesn't relate to relativity. You are using that term very loosely. I agree that if you use this reasoning, you will conclude that real time seeing is impossible because you can't convey something instantaneously. But if nothing is being conveyed (only seen; which is instantaneous), it then gets processed into information, which takes time. This does not contradict the theory of relativity in my opinion. If the lightsource (such as lightning) is causing one to see an object relative to his position, efferent vision does not negate this phenomenon.
Again, you're either lying outright or you're being idiotic.

"Seeing" is acquisition of information by definition. If you're seeing something, you're taking in information about it.

To take the hypothetical example Lessans used, when the Sun comes on, the information ("the Sun is now shining") originates with the Sun. You admitted this yourself. You even noted that it was obviously true.

When someone on Earth sees the light from the newly-ignited Sun, then just as obviously, his or her brain has acquired that information ("the Sun is now shining") -- by some means. It doesn't matter in the slightest how the information got from the Sun to his or her brain.

According to Lessans, the information ("the Sun is now shining") is acquired immediately.

According to Einstein, there is no way that the information can be acquired in less than 8.5 minutes.

They can't both be correct.
It is not about acquisition, which implies movement from one point to another. Yes, you're seeing the sun, but it's not being transmitted. If sight is efferent, and the sun is turned on and this event is within your visual field, it's automatically there on the screen. There is no travel time. Processing, or interpreting, the image of the sun involves other parts of the brain that is time related because it takes time to think, categorize, classify, put together, make sense out of, analyze, compare, create new ideas.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Boy, science sure is easy when one employs the Lessans Method.

Maybe I should have used that method. "I have observed 'X' and this proves 'Y'. No, I'm not going to bother to tell you about my methodology, nor am I going to share my data with you." I'll bet the evaluation committee would have been tremendously impressed.

My thesis and dissertation would have been a lot shorter, I can tell you that! Instead, I wasted all that time performing experiments, doing research, and gathering data. Silly me ...
Stop it right there. These observations took did not come out of thin air. He explained his reasons behind his observations, but you are totally dismissing them. That's not the way an investigator should be. You need to understand the origins of his findings which did not come from data collection. I feel a tremendous resentment in here, and that's unfortunate because it will prevent you from making an honest effort to understand his work.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Please lay out Lessan's argument for why man's will is not free, in some recognizable format (rather than imaginary dialog) without using fallacious reasoning.

Lessan's reasoning was not sound in my opinion. How is anyone to read the whole book uncritically when the very first chapter and principle is not even rationally presented.

Do you not see the problem with what you are asking us to do? Many teens read Atlas Shrugged and internalize and espouse the Objectivist/Libertarian philosophy of Ayn Rand. It's a fictional novel, yet a number of people find a worldview in it. Did you? Why not?

Many people read the Bible or the Koran and find truth in them. Did you? Why or why not?

Many people read the fictional story, The Celestine Prophecy, and again found truth and espoused a worldview because of it. Did you?

You have given us no reason to assume Lessans was more correct than anyone else. Lessans did not lay out his reasoning to give us any reason to assume he was correct.

Start there.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, though, as I said early on, parts of it are very, VERY funny. The rumpy-pumpy on the dinner table, the letter to Nixon, the lawsuit against Carter, his descriptions of his earnest but failed interactions with the dreaded Men of Higher Learning, his lecturing of Will Durant, the dramatic way in which he revealed that in the future, husbands and wives would sleep in separate beds after sexual intercourse -- all this and much more very often provokes :foocl:

Of course, none of it is intentionally funny, but you can't have everything.
Of course it's not intentionally funny, and it wouldn't be funny if you read the book the way it was supposed to be read. Because your only goal is to disprove this work at all costs, you will grab at anything, even if it's at the expense of the integrity of the work itself.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-11-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Please lay out Lessan's argument for why man's will is not free, in some recognizable format (rather than imaginary dialog) without using fallacious reasoning.
I will give you the page numbers, but you have to involve yourself in this process. It's very easy to put the responsibility on me, when you own half of that responsibility LadyShea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Lessan's reasoning was not sound in my opinion. How is anyone to read the whole book uncritically when the very first chapter and principle is not even rationally presented.
Could it be that it is not rationally presented because you are seeing it that way? The fact that you are demanding something he never supported might make you an undesirable candidate because you are not seeing him in an authentic light. Answer me this: Why do they have to determine who the jury will be when the story becomes a national event? Because people are influenced, and that's what is happening here LadyShea. As smart as you are, you are being influenced by rhetoric.

Quote:
Do you not see the problem with what you are asking us to do? Many teens read Atlas Shrugged and internalize and espouse the Objectivist/Libertarian philosophy of Ayn Rand. It's a fictional novel, yet a number of people find a worldview in it. Did you? Why not?

Many people read the Bible or the Koran and find truth in them. Did you? Why or why not?

Many people read the fictional story, The Celestine Prophecy, and again found truth and espoused a worldview because of it. Did you?
Yes I did, many years ago, and it didn't do that much for me.

Quote:
You have given us no reason to assume Lessans was more correct than anyone else. Lessans did not lay out his reasoning to give us any reason to assume he was correct.

Start there.
LadyShea, you really are spot on, and I so appreciate your analytical skills. In fact, without someone like you, this discovery may never be brought to light. I don't mean to put pressure on you personally, but it will take someone like you to really examine what this man has uncovered. The problem is, in order to do this, people have to meet me halfway, which no one is doing. I asked you to read the book step by step, which you obviously never did. And that is the crux of the problem. I will answer any questions people have after they have met this requirement, not before.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
I will answer any questions people have after they have met this requirement, not before.
:foocl:

1. Fuck off.

2. Is noticing that God turned on the Goddamned sun, so that the sky goes from all black to having a huge fucking light in the sky, information acquisition, or not?

3. What does relativity say about the limits to information acquisition?

:lol:
Old 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Stop it right there. These observations took did not come out of thin air. He explained his reasons behind his observations...
He did? Where?

Post the passages.

:lol:
Old 06-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tachyons are irrelevant to peacegirl's claims. She claims that if God turned on the sun at time x, then observers on earth would see the sun at time x, without a delay of 8.5 minutes for photons to arrive.

If tachyons existed and could be detected, and if the sun gave off tachyons along with photons, then observers on earth would see the sun before it was turned on, which is inconsistent with peacegirl's idiotic "real time seeing" also.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Speaking of tachyons, there is a very fine novel by Gregory Benford about people in 1962 receiving tachyon telegrams from 1998: Timescape. In addition to be a suspensful and well-plotted, it was written by a scientist, so the physics involved is very plausible.

See? We can learn something even from this thread. :yup:
Thanks, from:
SharonDee (06-13-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I already told you that there is nothing being transmitted, or conveyed, so this really doesn't relate to the theory of relativity. .
But if nothing is being conveyed (only seen; which is instantaneous), then real time seeing is possible. Seeing an object is not receiving information until that information is at the point of being processed by the brain (which is time related).

Then how does the brain, looking out thru the eyes, acquire the image, if the object is some distance away. How does the image get to the eyes, or how does the brain, thru the eyes, get the image, from a distant object that is large enough to see, well lit, and in the line of sight?
Through photoreceptors, and through light that is a necessary condition. Doc, I really don't want to answer anymore sight questions at this time. I need a break from this discussion. I'm sure you can understand why. :yawn:
Isn't it charming how she uses the yawn smilie -- she is so preposterous as to suppose she is stating an evident fact, and is bored with repeating it to us slow people. :lol:
I never implied that. That is in your head only.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Speaking of tachyons, there is a very fine novel by Gregory Benford about people in 1962 receiving tachyon telegrams from 1998: Timescape. In addition to be a suspensful and well-plotted, it was written by a scientist, so the physics involved is very plausible.

See? We can learn something even from this thread. :yup:
You still seem to think there is a conflict with real time vision and the theory of relativity. There isn't, but I'm glad you are getting something from this thread even if it's not the intended purpose.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy