Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
I picture is taken; it is not received.
Another one for the list of awesome things that peacegirl says.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You're getting the two types of visions confused. Nothing is coming in, being received, being conveyed, being transferred, being transmitted to the brain.
Information cannot simply appear in the brain. That would be magic, not seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
It takes a fraction of a second from the time I hit submit to when you can read these words. It's so short a time as to be almost instantaneous, however we KNOW the information has traveled hundreds of miles over the Internet from my computer to the forum servers. Information can not appear in your brain without it being conveyed somehow, by some mechanism.
That's the big fallacy when we're talking about light. Information on a computer does travel, so this does not relate to that; but seeing directly, not a photograph that is seen because it has traveled through space and time, is completely different even though you don't see the difference.

Quote:
It is true that the brain is using information that it sees, but that information is seen and recorded; it is not transferred through light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshea
Seeing means information has been conveyed to the brain. Or, the brain has gotten, gathered or received information if you prefer.
No, they are completely different attributes. One is conveying or receiving information (which involves time). The other is seeing and recording, which does not involve time travel. I don't believe you see the difference. :(

Quote:
A lot of these words indicate sound which does travel. We're talking about sight, not sound.
No, we are talking about information. It doesn't matter what form the information is in. In the case of sight it is information regarding the visual aspects of what is being seen...size, shape, color, movement, distance.

Quote:
The words such as transmit, carry, channel, conduct, are indicative that something is being taken from point A to point B, but that is not the case with efferent vision.
Then how does the brain get the information? You are positing something akin to magic.

Quote:
Of course, if the object is moving, then we will see the object moving in real time, not in delayed time. I hope this didn't confuse you.
I am not the confused one. Information gets to the brain somehow. If it isn't traveling on the light as per efferent vision, then it is up to you to explain how it gets there from an object at a distance.

So far, you are saying it appears there by no means, which is miraculous or magical and negates all known laws of cause and effect and information exchange.
For any action, there is a reaction. I'm not arguing with that. There is nothing magical about the brain, looking through the eyes, and taking a photograph (or recording) of what it sees without the time it takes for light to travel and cause a delay. Obviously, the time it takes for the brain to snap the picture (so-to-speak), and record it, might take a nanosecond, but that's not what he is talking about when he mentioned time. There is no time because there is no light transmitting the image. It's as simple as that. Either the evidence is going to confirm it, or negate it. I don't believe there is anything about efferent vision that would make it innately impossible.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShe
Efferent vision negates the theory of relativity by making instantaneous communication of information possible regardless of distance. You need to explain how it is compatible with relativity theory, not just say "I don't see how it negates it". It does negate it.
Have you not understood anything I wrote? Lessans explanation of efferent vision has nothing to do with relativity theory whatsoever. Yes, light has everything to do with frequency and the length of the lightwave that light is displaying, but the brain does not recognize those lightwaves because nothing goes into the brain. The brain sees the object or the image, through the eyes. That is the big conundrum, and until this is resolved, Lessans won't be taken seriously. I refuse to continue if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshea
So, are you saying that time is not relative? Are you still saying the speed of light must be recalculated? Are you prepared to explain how particle accelerators really work instead of how we think they work?
No, because it has nothing to do with anything LadyShea. The speed of light is irrelevant.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
No, nothing is coming in. The brain looks, through the eyes, and takes a photograph. It then records the information.
So in efferent vision the image of the object is recorded in the brain and then when the brain looks out thru the eyes it projects the image onto the blank screen of the external reality. I think the real question is just how does the brain project this image, we know the brain stores images of everything it has ever seen, and often uses these images to fill in the gaps of what is preceived. But just how are these images projected?
They are not projected until there is a memory in the cell of the brain. Until then, the brain has to record something. Do you not get that doc, or are you so smart that you immediately reject what cannot be denied, if researched thoroughly. :(
Agreed they are not projected till after the memory is formed, but then how are the images projected?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Information is acquired instantly with efferent vision. This is impossible under the theory of relativity. That must be your starting point.
Quote:
That is the big paradox, and until this is resolved, I won't be taken seriously and nothing Lessans says will be heard.
You need to explain how the two are compatible, not just assert they are. It is impossible to take you seriously until you start explaining how efferent vision actually works, and how it does not negate relativity.
Thanks, from:
Goliath (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM

... but information travels faster than light in efferent sight. Thus relativity does indeed become an issue.

Why don't you have a look at the math? Look into the subject? Do you want me to link you the lecture notes for relativity 101?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Quote:
No, the brain sees the object through the eyes and takes a photograph. Nothing comes into the eye and then to the brain.
Except that something has to be coming in to be photographed. That's what a photograph is, a recording of incoming light. If that's not what you think is going on, then I suggest you find a new word. Using a process that cannot operate without incoming light as an analogy for a process that you claim doesn't need incoming light just makes you look more ignorant.
That's not true Kael. I picture is taken; it is not received. You look ignorant when seen from an unbiased perspective Kael.
No, it is recorded from incoming light. Five minutes research into how photographic cameras work would tell you this, as would conversation with anyone who knows anything about them. The camera does not "take" a picture in the sense you are trying to assign. Light-sensitive chemicals on the film react with incoming light in predictable ways, causing an image to form. That is how film cameras work. That is how they are designed to work, that is how they are built to work. They would not work if that is not what is happening.

As I said, if you truly believe that the eyes and brain are not detecting and recording incoming light, you need to find a different analogy.

Of course, we are just as certain that this is what the eyes and brain in fact do, but you don't want to hear that.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM

[quote=thedoc;951913]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, nothing is coming in. The brain looks, through the eyes, and takes a photograph. It then records the information.
So in efferent vision the image of the object is recorded in the brain and then when the brain looks out thru the eyes it projects the image onto the blank screen of the external reality. I think the real question is just how does the brain project this image, we know the brain stores images of everything it has ever seen, and often uses these images to fill in the gaps of what is preceived. But just how are these images projected?
They are not projected until there is a memory in the cell of the brain. Until then, the brain has to record something. Do you not get that doc, or are you so smart that you immediately reject what cannot be denied, if researched thoroughly. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
Agreed they are not projected till after the memory is formed, but then how are the images projected?
By the ability of the brain to fulfill its function. Once the brain has photographed the information, it can easily project an association that it has made with that photograph. This is a no brainer doc, once you see the validity of Lessans' observations regarding efferent vision.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, the brain sees the object through the eyes and takes a photograph. Nothing comes into the eye and then to the brain.
Except that something has to be coming in to be photographed. That's what a photograph is, a recording of incoming light. If that's not what you think is going on, then I suggest you find a new word. Using a process that cannot operate without incoming light as an analogy for a process that you claim doesn't need incoming light just makes you look more ignorant.
That's not true Kael. I picture is taken; it is not received. You look ignorant when seen from an unbiased perspective Kael.
No, it is recorded from incoming light. Five minutes research into how photographic cameras work would tell you this, as would conversation with anyone who knows anything about them. The camera does not "take" a picture in the sense you are trying to assign. Light-sensitive chemicals on the film react with incoming light in predictable ways, causing an image to form. That is how film cameras work. That is how they are designed to work, that is how they are built to work. They would not work if that is not what is happening.

As I said, if you truly believe that the eyes and brain are not detecting and recording incoming light, you need to find a different analogy.

Of course, we are just as certain that this is what the eyes and brain in fact do, but you don't want to hear that.
There is nothing different between the brain taking a photograph and a camera taking a picture. If you compare the two, you will see that there is no conflict whatsoever.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
There is nothing different between the brain taking a photograph and a camera taking a picture. If you compare the two, you will see that there is no conflict whatsoever.
Efferent Camera's? Did I miss some previous awesome?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Except for the fact that the brain does not take photographs in any meaningful sense (it is at best a colorful analogy) and stores images in a very different way from a film camera, this is actually very true. There is no significant difference between how a camera works and how the brain does. Both detect incoming light, and can do nothing if light is not actively entering their respective openings. Hence, both require that light from a distant object/event has had time to reach them, and hence both will see the same things.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
She has attempted to resolve the conflict that cameras take pictures of the same things we see even though we see instantly by claiming that a camera does too. She has not been consistent in such claims, but they've been there on and off throughout the thread. The simple fact that every camera ever has been designed and built on the understanding that it is detecting and recording incoming light, and would not work if that were not the case (this being exactly what she claims the brain doesn't do, which makes it a conflict that all our cameras take pictures of exactly the same things at the same time we see it with our eyes) never seems to phase her.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm Deplorable.

[quote=Vivisectus;951894]
Quote:
The man on Rigel is sitting behind his telescope, looking for Columbus as he can indeed expect to see. In stead of our intrepid italian, however, he sees a man on the beech holding up a sign. The sign says "Surprise!"

Information has traveled - somehow - into the observers brain. The information is that there is a man with a sign there, and that the sign says "surprise". The observer now knows that this is the case. It has arrived there roughly 500 years before any signal (light being the fastest carrier of such) has traveled from the earth to Rigel. It did so instantaneously - we do not know how, as every other transfer of information that we know of needs to be carried by something.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
Should there be a similar observer, say in a space-station around the earth, looking back at our original guy on Rigel, then a weird thing happens. Because the transfer of information between them is instant, answers to a question will appear before the question has been asked, depending on how fast and in which direction they are moving relative to each other.
The effect would reach us here on earth before the cause would have taken place. I did explain it to you carefully a while back, complete with the mathematical proof. Would you like me to show it to you again? It really isn't difficult. I took it right out of an introduction to relativity course. If a bunch of college freshmen can grasp it, surely the daughter of a legendary genius can.

OK I'm having a bit of a problem with this, I believe that 'now' is the same thru-out the universe, and if I send an instant message to someone on Regal, or more accurately a planet there, they would receive it and send an instant answer, and the answer would follow the question and all replies would follow in successon. I have a basic understanding of relativity and time dialation, (I hope thats the right term, its been awhile) but if 'now' is the same everywhere how can anything get ahead of the predesessor. I know there was an explination via relativity, but I would like to read it again, so which post was it? or is there a link to an explination? Or would someone just explain it again?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
She has attempted to resolve the conflict that cameras take pictures of the same things we see even though we see instantly by claiming that a camera does too. She has not been consistent in such claims, but they've been there on and off throughout the thread. The simple fact that every camera ever has been designed and built on the understanding that it is detecting and recording incoming light, and would not work if that were not the case (this being exactly what she claims the brain doesn't do, which makes it a conflict that all our cameras take pictures of exactly the same things at the same time we see it with our eyes) never seems to phase her.
How marvellous! So somehow, designing a technology to record light alone has actually been a waste of time, as it was a hitherto unforeseen byproduct of camera-design that has been doing all the real work. Something that somehow reaches out of the receptors for digital cameras, and the chemically treated film for old fashioned film cameras, and takes the picture without receiving it?

I was not aware of this development. Ahaha I made a pun! Just when you think there is no more awesome to explore, there is yet more!
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
OK I'm having a bit of a problem with this, I believe that 'now' is the same thru-out the universe, and if I send an instant message to someone on Regal, or more accurately a planet there, they would receive it and send an instant answer, and the answer would follow the question and all replies would follow in successon. I have a basic understanding of relativity and time dialation, (I hope thats the right term, its been awhile) but if 'now' is the same everywhere how can anything get ahead of the predesessor. I know there was an explination via relativity, but I would like to read it again, so which post was it? or is there a link to an explination? Or would someone just explain it again?
Here is a link to the part that deals with the FTL travel, but the index deals with everything - inertial frames, etc etc. They are pretty good lecture notes - the illustrations are a nice touch. well worth a read.

Special Relativity : Section 10
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Here you say you are questioning/disputing relativity And more of the beloved little quaints "Cows come home"
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Quote:
We know we can't see them on Earth at the same time they happen at the star, because Earth time is different than the time wherever the star is. That's the theory of relativity...time is relative.
LadyShea, you are repeating the premise as if it were absolute fact. This is what is being disputed, so I don't get it if you think you have proven Lessans wrong. Are you kidding me???
Quote:
Quote:
There is no real time, there is only our time, and the time wherever else an object might be in the Universe.
That is your opinion, but it's not fact until the cows come home. :yup:
Quote:
Quote:
Mars time and Earth time aren't the same. Earth time and Rigel time aren't the same.
The cows haven't come home. Sorry.
You also backpedal and say efferent vision does not have anything to do with relativity You seem to be back to this now. Your not understanding the physics is leading you to not understand the implication of efferent vision.
Quote:
Quote:
You have stated we need to recalculate the speed of light, and apparently now throw out the theory of relativity, along with everything we know about the eyes.
Also, you recently stated efferent vision doesn't mess with the proven physics. Efferent vision does not mean physics does not work~peacegirl
Here you again assert that efferent vision has nothing to do with the speed of light, and refused to respond to my explanations as to why it does. The red is the most important
Quote:
Quote:
You are saying that because light travels, and the speed of light is finite, we cannot be seeing the light source in real time. You are completely ignoring what efferent vision means, and why it can bypass the lightwaves that travel and show up somewhere else because the light source meets the requirements necessary to see it. This has nothing whatsoever to do with faster than light speed.

It has everything to do with the speed of light! If not only human eyes, but cameras and other instruments, can detect light at its source instantly, without having to await the photons to travel to its location, that necessarily means faster than light speed communication is possible.
Here you try to move the goalpost away from the instantaneous information exchange to vague and meaningless "gaze", then claim fatigue to allow yourself to bow out of the discussion
Quote:
LadyShea, how can one's gaze at an object (in real time) be faster than the speed of light? Come on, be honest. I am trying to finish the questions that are on pages 92, 93, and 94. Everyone, please refrain from asking anymore questions on light and sight at this time, or I will be forced to ignore them. Maybe at a later date, I will resume the conversation, but right now, I hope you respect my wishes, as I need a break from this topic.
Here, you try to redefine the theory of relativity to only apply to mass, so you can shoehorn efferent vision in there without a contradiction
Quote:
You say that light has to transfer information which travels no faster than the speed of light. But light is not transporting the image to the eyes in the case of efferent vision, so there is a problem with this theory. Seeing an object instantly (if efferent vision is correct) does mean we are getting information faster than we would if that same light were carrying that information from point A (the light source) to point B (the brain). But I don't think that's what is meant when it says there is nothing that can travel faster than the speed of light, which is related to mass.
Here you redefine the word information to suit you
Quote:
Quote:
The light is transmitting the message by the codes that the two participants made up, but that's not the kind of information I'm talking about.
It is information, though. My saying hello to you with nothing but flashes of light is an exchange of information. It is, in fact communication*. If you see my light immediately, using efferent vision, without having to wait for the photons from my light to travel to your eyes, we have communicated faster than the speed of light.
Quote:
Quote:
I gave the example about a shooting star that burns up in space. If it was in our visual field, we would see these meteoroids burning up in real time because these meteoroids are the light-source and nothing from that light source is sending signals to our brain via its light emissions.
If you can see light without the photons from the emitting source having to reach your eyes, you are receiving information to your brain (the size, shape, brightness, speed, color etc. of whatever you are seeing is information) faster than the speed of light.
I explain again that the burden is on you to find a way to make efferent vision compatible with the theory of relativity. Again the red denotes the most important aspect
Quote:
It is not a valid dispute until you offer a scientifically and/or mathematically sound mechanism by which information can be transferred instantaneously. You would need to mathematically prove that the theory of relativity does not apply when discussing eyes, cameras, telescopes, or microscopes.

You once again try to reframe the debate to eliminate relativity as a factor

Quote:
Quote:
It all goes back to how the brain and eyes work; not how light works.
Unfortunately for you, the eyes and brain are subject to the laws of physics currently. The laws of physics eliminate the possibility of faster than light communication.

Also, Lessans had to go say that someone on Rigel and another on Earth would not be separated by ~800 years, defying the laws of physics. His examples disputed how light works. So you're stuck with that.

For some reason you think a request to abandon this line of discussion is reasonable and should be honored

Quote:
And I asked people to please not keep posting on this subject. Does anyone EVER listen? :(
Finally, you concede that instantaneous seeing does convey information faster than the speed of light
Quote:
Seeing an object instantly (if efferent vision is correct) does mean we are getting information faster than we would if that same light were carrying that information from point A (the light source) to point B (the brain).

I offered some examples of how efferent vision would effect communication
You ignored them, perhaps now you can address these?
Quote:
If efferent vision is true (and is extended to cameras and telescopes), we can communicate with light faster than the speed of light.

All we need is to shoot high powered lasers at the space station, or the Mars rovers or the Voyager's cameras...the cameras would be able to see the light at it's source, and instantly get the message (acquire the information)

The Luxor Vegas light is eye visible from orbit, so we could build a similar light to communicate with satellites and any future astronauts without having to account for the time delay of using radio waves. All they need is a camera on a computer that interprets Morse code.
And we're back to efferent vision doesn't negate or change the laws of physics, which you try to demonstrate through more redefining and redirection
Quote:
No, nothing must carry the object or the image to the eye if efferent vision is true. This does not change physics or the fact that light travels away from the object and shows up as an image after it has traversed a certain distance. But this has nothing to do with efferent vision, and you won't be able to see this until you recognize that efferent vision is a valid [theory].
Quote:
Quote:
I really don't get why you don't understand that this [theory] has absolutely nothing to do with matter traveling at any speed, let alone faster than the speed of light.
He wasnt talking about matter. He was talking about information. As I have stated in this post, we are talking about information regarding the object being seen.
Quote:
We're only talking about seeing the object directly and for you to say that's impossible is ludicrous.
Quote:
I could not get a code sent from a laser pen 50 ft. away, or any emitted light that needed to traverse a certain distance, without it traveling. But we're not talking about this. We're talking about seeing an object in real time, which is possible, according to efferent vision (even though emitted light transfers information of a certain type from point A to point B.)
You once again try to redefine terms to make the claim that no physical laws are broken
Quote:
If your brain can see my light blinking, instantly, without the photons needing to travel to your eye, and your brain can understand the message I am sending, information has been transferred from me to you using light only, and in real time, faster than the speed of light.
Quote:
Quote:
If efferent vision is, by definition, seeing the object (not the information coming from the light as it traverses space and time), then light becomes a condition, not a cause, of sight.
Information about the object (size, color, shape, brightness, speed etc.) gets into your brain when you see it, even with efferent vision. That information is what we are discussing.
Quote:
Quote:
What it means is that the eyes, looking at the object directly, takes a photograph (or recording) of what it sees and stores it in memory, using that information to form new connections, patterns, and ideas. Why is so unbelievable to everyone? It does not break any forbidden laws of physics.
It is unbelievable to the everyone that information, about the object being seen, entered your brain faster than the speed of light.
Quote:
But the science does not discredit what Lessans is saying.
More attempts at weaseling away from what Lessans actually said in an attempt to make efferent vision compatible with science
Quote:
And I have said that this kind of communication is not what Lessans is talking about. Nothing he has claimed defies the laws of physics.
Quote:
Lessans stated flat out that we could visually communicate (by seeing what people are doing right now) in real time with a person on (or near) Rigel which is ~800 light years away. So yes, it was the type of communication he was talking about.

So, that's where we are, still

peacegirl, do you, or do you not understand how efferent vision would necessarily allow instantaneous communication of information regardless of distance? Do you, or do you not understand how instantaneous communication of information regardless of distance is impossible due to relativity theory? Do you or do you not understand how causality fits in to the discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv's link
For an event A to be the cause of another event B, then A must occur before B.
If event A is a light flashing and event B is your seeing the light flashing, they cannot occur at the same time. It is impossible
Thanks, from:
Kael (06-08-2011), specious_reasons (06-08-2011), Stephen Maturin (06-08-2011), The Lone Ranger (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Wow. You don't realize the amount of wriggling, backpedalling, special pleading and question-dodging that goes on until you see it all neatly lined up like that. It is like a mighty edifice made up entirely of weasel. And that is just going back a handful of posts!
Thanks, from:
Kael (06-08-2011), LadyShea (06-08-2011), specious_reasons (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm Deplorable.

[quote=peacegirl;951917]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
By the ability of the brain to fulfill its function. Once the brain has photographed the information, it can easily project an association that it has made with that photograph. This is a no brainer doc, once you see the validity of Lessans' observations regarding efferent vision.
Could you explain this in more detail?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I was trying to reconcile cameras with eyes. A camera would be very similar to the eye if it is taking a picture without light having to travel millions of miles to reach the film. That is why a picture of a supernova turns out to be the same as what the eye sees.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Wow. You don't realize the amount of wriggling, backpedalling, special pleading and question-dodging that goes on until you see it all neatly lined up like that. It is like a mighty edifice made up entirely of weasel. And that is just going back a handful of posts!
That's because you aren't giving me credit for trying to reconcile the questions that have been posed with efferent vision. This is not weaseling at all. This is trying to put together pieces of a puzzle that make sense if one is coming from a different perspective.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was trying to reconcile cameras with eyes. A camera would be very similar to the eye if it is taking a picture without light having to travel millions of miles to reach the film. That is why a picture of a supernova turns out to be the same as what the eye sees.
But even you would have to admit that that does not make a lot of sense. Cameras work because they receive light. Old-fashioned ones worked with nothing but light-sensitive film in them, and lenses to make sure the light hits them in the right way so the picture is in focus.

Are you saying there has been some miraculous and hitherto completely unnoticed side-effect of camera design going on that was really what was capturing the images? Can we not even say for sure how a machine we design and build ourselves works?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That's because you aren't giving me credit for trying to reconcile the questions that have been posed with efferent vision. This is not weaseling at all. This is trying to put together pieces of a puzzle that make sense if one is coming from a different perspective.
Indeed. Only you use glue and a pair of scissors on the puzzle-pieces, because the picture you think it should form does not conform with the picture you get when you put the puzzle together like it is supposed to go.

It IS weaseling - it is continually moving the goalposts, changing definitions, dodging questions just so you don't have to admit it doesn't make sense. And that is just for the most easily disproven part of the whole damn book!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Except for the fact that the brain does not take photographs in any meaningful sense (it is at best a colorful analogy) and stores images in a very different way from a film camera, this is actually very true. There is no significant difference between how a camera works and how the brain does. Both detect incoming light, and can do nothing if light is not actively entering their respective openings. Hence, both require that light from a distant object/event has had time to reach them, and hence both will see the same things.
They both require light, but the light ends at the film of a camera and at the retina of the eye. Anything beyond the retina cannot be compared to a camera because cameras do not have brains. The example of the sun being turned on was hypothetical, (to show that there is nothing in the light itself causing sight). If the sun was already visible to the naked eye, the photons have already arrived. Even if a small star would explode into a supernova, the star was already visible because the stream of light coming from that star was already here, but in the case of the eye we would be seeing the light source, whereas the camera would be taking a picture due to the lightwaves that are being reflected from that same light source. Both the eyes and a camera, therefore, are seeing the object or image in real time. The only thing that is necessary is for the object or image to be within the field of view, of a camera's lens, and the field of vision of an eye's lens, to get the same exact picture.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-08-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:

No, they are completely different attributes. One is conveying or receiving information (which involves time). The other is seeing and recording, which does not involve time travel. I don't believe you see the difference. :(
What do you think "seeing" is exactly? What do you think "information" is exactly? Seeing is an act of acquiring information in the brain using the eyes.

Without information being acquired, there would be nothing for the brain to record. Really, what part of this are you not understanding?

Quote:
For any action, there is a reaction.
That's Newton's Law of Motion. I was talking about causality
Quote:
I'm not arguing with that.
Good because that would be a strawman since it wasn't the physical law I was discussing.
Quote:
There is nothing magical about the brain, looking through the eyes, and taking a photograph (or recording) of what it sees without the time it takes for light to travel and cause a delay.
But there is, since it is impossible for that to happen without breaking the laws of physics, you are left with magic or miracle.
Quote:
There is no time because there is no light transmitting the image. It's as simple as that.
There is information being somehow transferred between point A (the Object) and point B (the Brain). It is as simple as that, and you still can't understand it.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Here is a link to the part that deals with the FTL travel, but the index deals with everything - inertial frames, etc etc. They are pretty good lecture notes - the illustrations are a nice touch. well worth a read.

Special Relativity : Section 10

OK I'm going to need to work on this awhile, it's been over 30 years since I read about this. And I'm still not sure I can agree with this,

"What I am saying is that 2 events that seem to have happened at the same time for the observer on train do not happen at the same time for the observer on the ground. In fact, from the point of view of another observer moving faster than the train, like the observer in the sports car above, the light reaches the back of the train after it reaches the front of the train since in that observer's frame, it is the back of the train that is moving away from the light and the front of the train that is moving toward it."

The illustration shows the light stationary and the train moving back but the light is fixed to the train and both are moving forward just not as fast as the car, I think there is a bit of problems with semantics. In fact both illustrations with an outside observer show the light bulb stationary relative to the train, I think that is a problem, at least for me so far.

What all 3 illustrations showed is that the light bulb is stationary relative to the observer, and it was stated that the light was on the train, the assumption is that it is fixed to the train. Someone isn't very accurate at making drawings.

"Consider a moving train with a light bulb in the middle. If you turn the light bulb on, light will travel both toward the front of the train and also toward the back of the train with speed c=3×108m/sec."
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed. Only you use glue and a pair of scissors on the puzzle-pieces, because the picture you think it should form does not conform with the picture you get when you put the puzzle together like it is supposed to go.

It IS weaseling - it is continually moving the goalposts, changing definitions, dodging questions just so you don't have to admit it doesn't make sense. And that is just for the most easily disproven part of the whole damn book!
Not true! The only reason it seems that way is because I never had to think through all of these questions that have been posed. So you're not going to be satisfied because it feels like I'm weaseling. The only thing that needs to be valid is efferent vision. If it turns out to be true, then all of these questions will be answered much more thoroughly by scientists in the field.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy