mesospheric bore

Default Re: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
:ff: default if someone is set to ignore is to ignore threads by as well.
No it doesn’t, it still shows the thread just without a first post.
*Turns feature off then on again*
Oh, well nevermind then.
I set Jerome to ignore back in the day and the Climategate thrad disappeared.
Freethought Forum edit options page

Dunno what the default for that setting is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignore-temp-ff.jpg (12.8 KB, 95 views)
Crumb (08-25-2023), Kamilah Hauptmann (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 04:48 AM
Shitpost Sommelier

I learned about it here:

Freethought Forum - View Single Post - im in ur forum breakin ur thrad

Default behaviour for me at least was Yes.

:AB: :canada:
Thanks, from:
fragment (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:34 AM
Forum gadfly

- Richard P. Feynman

Last edited by -FX-; 08-25-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:45 PM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FX- View Post
The only thing there is more of, than views of X right now, is woke tears
Population of China: 1.4257 billion
Population of India: 1.4286 billion
Population of World: 8.0453 billion

And: Trump's Interview With Tucker Carlson Has More Than 150 Million ˜Views" On X & Here's Why That's Misleading
Old 08-25-2023, 11:54 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Are we really expected to presume that the site that only a month ago majorly throttled service because they were having trouble serving 280 character text blocks, and has been experiencing user loss can now suddenly serve a 46 minute video over 200 million people and not crash into oblivion?

Not only are the numbers inflated, they’re so inflated that only a desperate narcissist would believe them, although I’m starting to understand why Musk is good at PR. I can’t wait till the video is ‘viewed’ more times than there are people on the planet.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 05:29 AM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I can’t wait till the video is ‘viewed’ more times than there are people on the planet.
I don't believe you.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 08-27-2023, 10:56 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

WRONG THRAD

Old 09-10-2023, 09:46 AM
Forum gadfly

One could simply ignore the X

if it wasn't for the other X

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 09-10-2023, 01:36 PM

Phallus - Wikipedia
Old 09-10-2023, 06:19 PM
Forum gadfly

The woke would like a rocket to not be designed to pass through the atmosphere in the best possible manner.

Of course these same people think a man can become a woman, so who gives a fuck what they think?

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 09-10-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
The woke would like a rocket to not be designed to pass through the atmosphere in the best possible manner.

Of course these same people think a man can become a woman, so who gives a fuck what they think?
:clown:
Old 09-10-2023, 09:04 PM

FX brings up trans issues out of no where so consistently, they might consider talking to their therapist about it, there are plenty of resources out there for them.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (09-11-2023), JoeP (09-11-2023), ShottleBop (09-11-2023), Sock Puppet (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 09:20 PM
Shitpost Sommelier

Quote:
so who gives a fuck what they think?
Asks the guy who carries butthurts across decades.

Thanks, from:
JoeP (09-11-2023), ShottleBop (09-11-2023), Sock Puppet (09-11-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 04:03 PM
Forum gadfly

Electric cars. Electric trucks. Solar panels. Storage Batteries. Boring machines and non fossil fuel underground transport. Space ships. Colonizing Mars. A Global internet/phone satellite constellation. Implanting wires and chips to fix brain damage. Global communication app. AI funding and research. Advanced robotics.

I can understand why so many people consider him a total loser.

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 10-06-2023, 05:45 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

I think the reason people sometimes don't consider him a loser might be that they're giving him credit for things (like "colonizing mars" or "implanting wires and chips to fix brain damage") which have not actually happened, merely been announced repeatedly. While perhaps ignoring things he's actually done (kill lots of monkeys under circumstances that everyone working in the field says are gigantic red flags).

The boring machines? Ready-made things that other people actually use, and he mostly never seems to quite deliver on the projects. The original claim, for "evacuated tunnels", sounded really interesting but was also immediately obviously technically infeasible. It'll never happen. But he did raise a lot of money, talk about how he was going to "invent" and "revolutionize" things, then buy standard boring machines that already existed and were built by other people, and show them off.

It's a grift.
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-06-2023), Crumb (10-06-2023), Ensign Steve (10-09-2023), fragment (10-06-2023), JoeP (10-06-2023), mickthinks (10-06-2023), ShottleBop (10-06-2023), Sock Puppet (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 07:47 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
people consider him a total loser

:unnod:
Ari (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 07:55 PM

Musk was happy to give space nerds tons of interviews and access during the process of landing the falcon boosters so much so that many see Starship as inevitable and are dreaming up post starship plans before it ever flies.

It's really interesting to go back and look through the hype around the hyper-loop circa 2010s, as even the conservative hype said we should at least have a full test loop that's carried humans or brain-fried apes by now, but instead we have Tesla's driving in a death trap.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:49 PM
Forum gadfly

Quote:
The Vegas Loop at Las Vegas Convention Center provides fast and convenient transportation for convention and trade show attendees across the LVCC campus, connecting the new West Hall with the existing campus (North/Central/South Halls). The Vegas Loop at Las Vegas Convention Center has officially opened the Resorts World passenger station, providing direct access to and from the Las Vegas Convention Center. Four passenger stations (see map below) offer convenient access between key LVCC destinations and nearby transportation connections.
Typical walk time between the West Hall to the existing North/Central Hall can take up to 25 minutes. The same trip on the Loop takes approximately 2 minutes.
LVCC Loop | Passenger Station Map, Updates & More Info

Quote:
There will be more Boring Company tunnels under Las Vegas as the Elon Musk-founded company has received approval to extend its transportation system.
Why The Boring Company Is About To Take Over In 2023! - YouTube

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 10-06-2023, 09:50 PM
Forum gadfly

Watching the woke losers of the internet experience butthurt over Elon is almost the best thing ever

- Richard P. Feynman
Old 10-06-2023, 10:12 PM

Elon Musk's Boring Company plan for a 69-station "Vegas Loop" is anything but nice - The Verge

Excerpt:
Quote:
Of course, Musk’s promise to revolutionize transportation with underground tunnels is, in practice, rather underwhelming. Rather than being whisked along through a futuristic tunnel by an autonomous, high-occupancy shuttle traveling at impressive speeds, riders instead are forced to sit in a Tesla operated by a human driver at speeds often less than 30 mph. Sometimes there’s traffic.

It bears repeating: Musk has simply recreated underground the same failed above-ground systems he claims to want to conquer.

I’m old enough to remember when this was supposed to be a precursor to the hyperloop, an ultra-fast system of pneumatic tubes in which levitating passenger pods would rocket at speeds of up to 720 mph. He sold many cities and states on this vision, including Chicago, Los Angeles, and Maryland — only later to downsize its plans or outright ghost its governmental partners.

To score a permit, Boring had to agree to certain preconditions, one of which was high volume capacity. The company had to run a demonstration showing that it could move 4,400 passengers an hour. It passed and won and received the permit under the category ATS, which stands for Amusement and Transportation Systems, which The Wall Street Journal notes is the same typically awarded to rollercoasters.

To say nothing about the fact that the test most likely didn’t reflect the system’s actual capacity targets in operation. According to Mark Harris, who has been doing an amazing job investigating The Boring Company for TechCrunch, the system may be only able to carry 1,200 people per hour — or a fourth of the promised capacity. If Boring can’t meet the 4,400 people-an-hour target, the company faces stiff fines: $300,000 per trade show for a maximum of $4.5 million.

. . .

Much will depend on The Boring Company’s ability to disrupt tunneling, so to speak. The company claims it is designing a tunnel boring machine that can dig up to seven miles a day. But most of its so-called new approach to tunneling — using electrified machines, continuous construction of the tunnel lining — isn’t actually that new, according to experts.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-06-2023), fragment (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
I think the reason people sometimes don't consider him a loser might be that they're giving him credit for things (like "colonizing mars" or "implanting wires and chips to fix brain damage") which have not actually happened, merely been announced repeatedly. While perhaps ignoring things he's actually done (kill lots of monkeys under circumstances that everyone working in the field says are gigantic red flags).

The boring machines? Ready-made things that other people actually use, and he mostly never seems to quite deliver on the projects. The original claim, for "evacuated tunnels", sounded really interesting but was also immediately obviously technically infeasible. It'll never happen. But he did raise a lot of money, talk about how he was going to "invent" and "revolutionize" things, then buy standard boring machines that already existed and were built by other people, and show them off.

It's a grift.
It's also important to note he's just the face of these companies, he's not literally making any of that. Even if "he delivered" on all of those things, he himself did not do it, he's not Tony Stark. The engineers that nobody knows the name of did that all of that. And I commend those no-name engineers for delivering on all those products and services we talk about coming from "his" companies, which are only his companies due to arbitrary legal, capitalistic reasons. Also, he mostly tweets and plays video games these days. He doesn't do anything important.

This would be like if the CEO of my company talked about how great our website is, and everyone was like, "Wow, you did such a great job delivering that website Mr. CEO."

No? I did that. Me. And nobody knows my name. My CEO laughs when he sees code and makes jokes about how he's glad he doesn't have to deal with this website shit because he attempted some HTML & CSS 20 years ago and quickly realized he was way in over his head so he hired someone else to handle that.

It gets even worse than that though. The Elon Musk you see on TV, which is how most people are exposed to him, is a carefully crafted marketing product. If you read Elon Musk's twitter and firsthand accounts from people who have personally dealt with him, he has the maturity and intelligence of someone around 12 to 14 years old. "Elon Musk", the Tony Stark of our generation, doesn't exist, he's not real.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-07-2023), Crumb (10-06-2023), JoeP (10-06-2023), Sock Puppet (10-09-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Computers & Technology