Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Oh really? So we don't need a telescope to see details of Mars? You have no idea what you're talking about. You're just a parrot. YES, we need light to see. No one ever denied that. You are so lost.
Now you are confusing brightness with resolution, But never said we could read the date on the coin at a great distance, however with enough light on the coin we can see the point of light. The brighter the light the farther away we can see the point of light.
That doesn't even make sense. What point of light are you talking about?

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 03-29-2016, 08:14 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
I'm not blaming anyone. I'm asking a damn question. So, according to you (Mr. know it all), I can't even ask questions now?
That's interesting. Do you think that if you ask a reasonable question you actually deserve an answer? Hmm?
Angakuk (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, you brought it up, stop blaming others for your mistakes. No-one needs to make you look wrong, you are doing that very nicely yourself. And you have no valid reply so you try to say it is irrelevant.
I'm not blaming anyone. I'm asking a damn question. So, according to you (Mr. know it all), I can't even ask questions now?
You are doing your damnedest to disprove the statement that "there is no such thing as a dumb question". I didn't say you couldn't ask a question, I would just ask that you give the question some thought before asking it.

Last edited by thedoc; 03-29-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If something is too small to be seen, you can have all the light in the world shining on that object but if it's out of our optical range, it won't permit us to see it even though light is traveling from that object right toward our eyes because there will be no resolution.
There is no "too small to be seen". You can see a single atom if you shine light on it.
Something may be too small to be seen But. I can hold up a nickel and you can see it. I back up until the nickel is out of your optical range. You cannot see it anymore because there's no resolution on your retina. There would be no image on film either.
And if you shine a really bright light on it, you see it, no matter how big the distance is.
No you don't. Now who is violating optics?
Yes, you can see it. We can calculate exactly how bright the light has to be to see the nickel on Mars, for example.
Did Lessans ever argue the point that we need light to see? Why are you bringing this up as if it's some kind of valid refutation?
Peacegirl, you brought it up, stop blaming others for your mistakes. No-one needs to make you look wrong, you are doing that very nicely yourself. And you have no valid reply so you try to say it is irrelevant.
This has been answered several times in this thread, it's not our fault that you have failed to recognize or comprehend the answer.
Angakuk (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh really? So we don't need a telescope to see details of Mars? You have no idea what you're talking about. You're just a parrot. YES, we need light to see. No one ever denied that. You are so lost.
Now you are confusing brightness with resolution, But never said we could read the date on the coin at a great distance, however with enough light on the coin we can see the point of light. The brighter the light the farther away we can see the point of light.
The point of light that is reflected from the nickle, that is a great distance away, and too small to reflect anything but a point of light. It would make sense if you were able to follow an argument, instead of having your brain scrambled by your fathers book. Or you are being deliberately obtuse about any explanation and answers to your objections, in other words, willfully ignorant. You intentionally deny understanding just to frustrate those who are trying to help you understand, in the hopes that they will give up and let your falsehoods stand unchallenged. Lying, especially when exposed, doesn't help to sell books.

Last edited by thedoc; 03-29-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The point of light that is reflected from the nickle, that is a great distance away, and too small to reflect anything but a point of light.
And what happens when the nickel is too far away to reflect a point of light, no matter how much light is present? What you're saying still doesn't make sense. :eek:

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 03-29-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
The point of light that is reflected from the nickle, that is a great distance away, and too small to reflect anything but a point of light.
And what happens when the nickel is too far away to reflect a point of light, no matter how much light is present?
How far away is that?
Angakuk (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And what happens when the nickel is too far away to reflect a point of light, no matter how much light is present?
How far away is that?
Far enough to be out of your visual range. You can shine light all you want, but if the nickel is too far away from your ability to see it, there is no amount of light that is going to give you a point of light. Geeezzzeeeee, what is it you're not getting? :doh:

Old 03-29-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?
Far enough to be out of your visual range. You can shine light all you want, but if the nickel is too far away from your ability to see it, there is no amount of light that is going to give you a point of light. what is it you're not getting?
What is the distance, (in whatever unit you choose), that we will no longer be able to see the point of light from the nickle? If you are incapable of understanding the question, I'll try to restate it.

Last edited by thedoc; 03-29-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:31 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
And if you shine a really bright light on it, you see it, no matter how big the distance is.
Unfortunately there will be a point where you are shinning enough light on the nickle, that the energy from the light that is absorbed, will vaporize the nickle. Before that it will become incandescent and melt. Think of burning something with a magnifying glass, you are just focusing the light and heat from the Sun onto a small spot. Light has it's own energy and usually includes heat energy.
Angakuk (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:44 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?
Far enough to be out of your visual range. You can shine light all you want, but if the nickel is too far away from your ability to see it, there is no amount of light that is going to give you a point of light. Geeezzzeeeee, what is it you're not getting? :doh:
No, I get it. You're making stuff up and you are contradicting the laws of physics because you have no idea what you are talking about, as usual.

Again, there is no "too far away to be seen". There is no such thing.

Last edited by But; 03-30-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: typo
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-30-2016), thedoc (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?
By the same token, if something is too far away for us to understand because it is outside of understandable range, then we can't understand it!

PG you are getting a little bit confused by your own strange definitions.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-30-2016), Dragar (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?
Far enough to be out of your visual range. You can shine light all you want, but if the nickel is too far away from your ability to see it, there is no amount of light that is going to give you a point of light. what is it you're not getting?
What is the distance, (in whatever unit you choose), that we will no longer be able to see the point of light from the nickle? If you are incapable of understanding the question, I'll try to restate it.
Let's try this again. Sight involves the size (one unit) and brightness (another unit) of the object in relation to the observer. Brightness has no effect if the object is too small (or too distant) to be within the observer's optical range. That means light alone can do nothing to give the observer resolution.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Let's try this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
This post in every way nullifies the efferent non-model of sight.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are right; in the afferent account of VISION, there hasn't been time for light to reach the eye.
There hasn't been time in the efferent account either. How do your photons get from the source to the retina in zero time?
It's not zero time, but it's not 8 minutes. You say that the farther away the object is the longer it takes to reach the eye. That IS the afferent position. If you think in terms of the efferent position, distance IS NOT A FACTOR. If DISTANCE IS NOT A FACTOR, then seeing the Sun turned at noon on would be analogous to lighting a candle in a room. It would be virtually instant.
If it is anything less than 8 minutes then the light cannot have gotten to the retina by traveling from the object at light speed. So how do your photons at the retina get from the object to the retina in whatever sub-8-min time you think it takes?

I already explained why your candle example does not work, and you have not explained how distance is not a factor. The only way for the distance to not be a factor is if you have some alternative, other than light speed travel, for how your photons get from the object to the retina. Do you have that? We could resolve this easily if you would just answer my questions.

Quote:
Please answer my questions about THESE photons (the ones at the camera film or retina on Earth at 12:00 when the Sun is first ignited), and without mentioning or reverting to any other different photons.

You need photons at the camera film or retina when the Sun is first ignited.

Are they traveling photons?

Did they come from the Sun?

Did they get to the film/retina by traveling?

Did they travel at the speed of light?

Can they leave the Sun before it is ignited?

Don't commit the postman's mistake by talking about different photons from those which are at the film/retina at 12:00. Don't even mention any photons other than those I have asked about. If you get to the end of the questions and realize the photons you are talking about are not the ones at the film/retina at 12:00, then you have fucked up again and have failed to actually answer what was asked.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?
By the same token, if something is too far away for us to understand because it is outside of understandable range, then we can't understand it!

That is true. We all have different capacities. Some people can't understand what others can. But that does not mean my definition is circular like you're making it out to be.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?
No, I get it. You're making stuff up and you are contradicting the laws of physics because you have no idea what you are talking about, as usual.

Again, there is no "too far away to be seen". There is no such thing.
Of course there is. All you have to do is walk three blocks away from where I am standing, and as you get further and further away, you become smaller and smaller until you are out of my optical range and there is no resolution on my retina whereby I can see you, not even a speck of you.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?

That is true. We all have different capacities. Some people can't understand what others can. But that does not mean my definition is circular like you're making it out to be.
It is the way you keep defining it. Plus, we still do not know what exactly is being resolved and how! We know what "resolution" means in terms of normal vision. I have no idea what it means according to you - what exactly needs to happen for it to work?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How far away is that?

It is the way you keep defining it. Plus, we still do not know what exactly is being resolved and how! We know what "resolution" means in terms of normal vision. I have no idea what it means according to you - what exactly needs to happen for it to work?
The way I am defining it is accurate because it's based on observation (reality). What do you mean "what exactly needs to happen?" Nothing needs to happen other than what DOES happen when we see an object, or don't see it, which has everything to do with size of the object in relation to the observer. How bright the light is has no effect on objects that are too small to see (whether they are too far away or incapable of being seen with the naked eye because of their small size relative to the observer). :doh:

Old 03-30-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The way I am defining it is accurate because it's based on observation (reality). What do you mean "what exactly needs to happen?" Nothing needs to happen other than what DOES happen when we see an object, or don't see it, which has everything to do with size of the object in relation to the observer. How bright the light is has no effect on objects that are too small to see (whether they are too far away or incapable of being seen with the naked eye because of their small size relative to the observer). :doh:
Can we see stars?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-30-2016), Dragar (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Can we see stars?
Yes, because they are large enough to be seen either with a naked eye or with a telescope. Lessans was right. His observations were spot on even though you hate that he disputes what science believes is fact. It makes me very sad. :(

Old 03-30-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Let's try this again. Sight involves the size (one unit) and brightness (another unit) of the object in relation to the observer. Brightness has no effect if the object is too small (or too distant) to be within the observer's optical range. That means light alone can do nothing to give the observer resolution.
Size is not a unit, brightness is not a unit, size and brightness are factors in vision but not units of distance. You are being intentionally obtuse, and willfully ignorant, so once an idea has been adequately explained there will be no more consideration of your comments, because you are not sincerely asking a question, it's just a dodge to avoid giving a straight answer. When you say you don't understand, you are just lying again, as you have been doing all along.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Size is not a unit, brightness is not a unit, size and brightness are factors in vision but not units of distance. You are being intentionally obtuse, and willfully ignorant, so once an idea has been adequately explained there will be no more consideration of your comments, because you are not sincerely asking a question, it's just a dodge to avoid giving a straight answer. When you say you don't understand, you are just lying again, as you have been doing all along.
There's nothing I can add other than you are the quintessential jerk of all time! Really truly, I mean this. You have no depth to you at all. You just go along with the crowd and use this to puff yourself up. Like I said, I wish we had never met, but God has his own reasons, so I stay grounded in that truth.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Like I said, I wish we had never met, but God has his own reasons, so I stay grounded in that truth.
Yes, and the reason is that I will present the truth, that your mind will open just a bit, you will let go of your willful ignorance, and accept the truth of reality. Once you are grounded in that, you can let go of Lessans nonsense.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I wish we had never met.
Is that another lie?

I attended my grandson's 2nd band concert last evening, it was the combine elementary band from the district 123 members. He played my old Cornet in a trumpet section of 32 kids.

I bought a Trumpet last June, a silver plated American Standard just like the Cornet, and when we get good enough, we'll start playing duets.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can we see stars?
Yes, because they are large enough to be seen either with a naked eye or with a telescope. Lessans was right. His observations were spot on even though you hate that he disputes what science believes is fact. It makes me very sad. :(
You have it exactly backwards. It has nothing to do with the size, all that matters is the amount of light. Let me give you an example:

Betelgeuse is one of the most visible stars in the sky (List of stars with resolved images - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Its angular diameter is 50 milliarcseconds. That's the same size as your nickel (diameter 21.21 mm) at a distance of 87 kilometers or 54 miles. That's a bit more than three blocks.

Or take Regulus, another easily visible star: Its angular diameter is 1.24 milliarcseconds, that's the same as the nickel at a distance of 3500 kilometers or 2200 miles.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (03-30-2016), ChuckF (03-30-2016), Dragar (03-30-2016), The Lone Ranger (03-30-2016)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy