Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You've said these green photons come into existence at the moment the object turns green.
I did not say that.
Huh? That's exactly what you said:

Me: Where and when did these green photons begin to exist?
You: When the object turned green.

Are you retracting that answer?
I did not say that. We see the light turn green instantly if it meets the conditions, which does not mean the green wavelength/frequency began to exist at that instant. How would we be able to use that light to see if it just came into existence? IOW, we would not be able to see the Sun turned on instantly if the light had not become luminous enough which takes time but not the time that you imagine (not 8 minutes). Just like the candle being turned on, it doesn't take more than a nanosecond for that light to be at our eyes because it's a closed system.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Where are they at that moment when they first come into existence? Also, in what direction are they travelling as they come into existence?
What do you mean what direction are they traveling? Obviously light travels in straight lines. Depending on the angle light strikes the object will determine the trajectory of those photons.
Quote:
Um, there is no light striking the object in the scenario I asked about. That scenario was a light-emitting traffic light that changes from red to green.
It doesn't matter. There has to be enough light within our field of view for the object to be seen. In this case it would see the light change instantly, or as close to instant as it would take the light from a candle to be at our eyes.

Quote:
So far, you've said that there will be green photons at the retina at the very instant that the light turns green, and that these photons begin to exist at that moment.
No, the photons that you're speaking of do not begin to exist at that instant. They travel, but the travel time is virtually nil. That's what you are not grasping. You still think that light has to travel (the afferent model of sight) 8 minutes to reach our eyes. But that's not the case in the efferent model. That does not mean light does not travel that nanosecond to be at our eyes. This is not the delay you're referring to when you speak of light traveling through space/time.

Quote:
You still haven't told me WHERE these photons are when they come into existence, or in what direction they will be travelling.
What do you mean, WHERE are these photons or in what direction will they be traveling. There is too much of a disconnect to even answer this question. You are still assuming that the information is in the light as it travels and reaches our eyes independent of the object. You still don't understand that this IS the afferent account of vision and I cannot explain the efferent account coming from your vantage point. You're asking me to fit a square into a hole.
You've now retracted the only answer you've given (bizarrely denying that you even said it), so I will have to repeat the questions. You've said that there will be green photons instantly at the retina when the light first turns green. Regarding those specific green photons...

Where and when did these green photons begin to exist?
No Spacemonkey, now you're talking about teleportation. This is not magic.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-30-2016, 11:38 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
You've now retracted the only answer you've given (bizarrely denying that you even said it), so I will have to repeat the questions. You've said that there will be green photons instantly at the retina when the light first turns green. Regarding those specific green photons...

Bump.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What? I didn't say anything about magic or teleportation! What on Earth are you on about? I just asked you a plain simple question about the photons YOU SAY will be instantly at the retina. Again...

Angakuk (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

You are so confused David, it's laughable!!!! Any kind of matter interacting with light will be seen as long as it meets the conditions that I have gone over countless times. If you haven't noticed, light allows us to see anything at all. But that is not the question. The question still remains: whether light brings the images of the material world to us through space/time (as you so fervently believe), or whether we see the material world in real time due to light's presence. You think you're all that. Sorry to inform you, you're not. :popcorn:
:lol:

You just said that we can't see sunlight until it gets here -- completely contradicting Lessans, and everything you've said online for 15 years!

Thanks for your concession! Now we are done here. :yup:

You can burn Daddy's books, take down his Twitter account (where he is still begging, from beyond the grave, for reviewers) and do something useful with your life -- like stop hitting the sauce all day long and maybe even get a job instead of stealing public funds. :wave:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-31-2016), But (01-31-2016), Stephen Maturin (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 12:39 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
You can burn Daddy's books, take down his Twitter account (where he is still begging, from beyond the grave, for reviewers) ...
:laugh:

The review that peacegirl purchased made Seymour so sad that he's traveled back along the sacred River of Jizz from the Germinal World of Potential Consciousness to ask for new reviews.

Quote:
and do something useful with your life --
Oh deary deary me oh my, no. Doing something useful would require actual work, and peacegirl is above that sort of thing.

Quote:
like stop hitting the sauce all day long and maybe even get a job instead of stealing public funds. :wave:
The Lessans family and ripping off taxpayers go together like right wing militia whackos and firearms.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
But (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
They travel, but the travel time is virtually nil.
There is no such thing as photons whose travel time is nil or even virtually nil, you are talking about a nonexistent particle, fiction, a fantasy. All photons travel at c in a vacuum and slightly slower in different materials. In some kinds of matter, (opaque) photons are absorbed and converted into different kinds of energy, or reflected at the angle of reflection.
Angakuk (01-31-2016), Spacemonkey (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Me: Where and when did these green photons begin to exist?
You: When the object turned green.
I did not say that.
You did so! Why do you keep lying about your own words, when we can SHOW YOU where you said them? Look:

Quote:
Quote:
When the object turned green.
Were those your words? Do you remember typing them?

Quote:
We see the light turn green instantly if it meets the conditions, which does not mean the green wavelength/frequency began to exist at that instant. How would we be able to use that light to see if it just came into existence?
I don't know. It's your bizarre theory, not mine. If the green photons at the retina existed before the light turned green, where did they come from and when did they begin to exist?

Quote:
IOW, we would not be able to see the Sun turned on instantly if the light had not become luminous enough which takes time but not the time that you imagine (not 8 minutes). Just like the candle being turned on, it doesn't take more than a nanosecond for that light to be at our eyes because it's a closed system.
We were not talking about the Sun or a candle. We were talking about a very distant traffic light. Do the green photons come from the traffic light, and travel from there to the retina in a nanosecond? If so, you have them traveling faster than light; if not, then where and when did they begin to exist?

Quote:
It doesn't matter. There has to be enough light for the object to be seen. In this case we would see the traffic light change instantly, about the length of time it would take the light from a candle to be at our eyes in a closed room.
Of course it matters. You can't tell me the green photons will be travelling in a direction determined by the angle at which they struck the object when they haven't struck any object.

You are now rejecting your previous claim that there will be green photons instantly at the retina, claiming instead that there will be some minuscule time delay. Fine, but that still doesn't answer my question of where and when these green photons began to exist. If they came from the traffic light, then you have them travelling faster than the speed of light—and you also have them getting to the retina, contrary to your previous denials.

Quote:
No, the photons that you're speaking of do not begin to exist at that instant.
Fine, then when do they begin to exist? Before or after the traffic light turns green? And where are they when they first begin to exist?

Quote:
They travel, but the travel time is virtually nil. That's what you are not grasping. You still think that light has to travel (the afferent model of sight) 8 minutes to reach our eyes for us to utilize that light. But that's not the case in the efferent model. That's why Lessans said light has to be at the object ONLY. That is also why we would be able to see the Sun being turned on, but not see each other for 8 minutes. Do you even understand what I'm saying?
Do you understand what you're saying? Where are these green photons travelling from, where are they travelling to, and have they covered this distance faster than the speed of light? Photons cannot travel huge distances in a nanosecond. Light cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

Quote:
What do you mean, WHERE are these photons or in what direction will they be traveling.
I mean just that. It's a perfectly simple question expressed in clear English. What part of the question confuses you? I can re-express the question taking into account your nanosecond time-delay if you like:

You have said that there will be green photons near-instantly at the retina, in less time than it would take them to travel from the newly-turned-green traffic light to the retina, so...

(Please note that this question has nothing to do with whether or not there is any information in the travelling light.)
Angakuk (01-31-2016), But (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm Deplorable.

It is so frustrating to watch Peacegirl flailing about trying to deny that the green photons are coming into existence, when all she needs to do is to state that the red photons have turned into green photons. Then all she needs to do is to explain how this can happen, and considering all the fiction she has invented before, it should be no problem at all.
Angakuk (01-31-2016), Spacemonkey (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
It is so frustrating to watch Peacegirl flailing about trying to deny that the green photons are coming into existence, when all she needs to do is to state that the red photons have turned into green photons. Then all she needs to do is to explain how this can happen, and considering all the fiction she has invented before, it should be no problem at all.
Well, we can always ask her about that. I'm sure she will have no difficulties providing a direct and honest answer:

Peacegirl, were these green photons—the ones near-instantly at the retina once the traffic light turns green—always green, or have they changed to green from some other colour during their existence as photons?
Angakuk (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016), thedoc (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 01:55 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
You're asking me to fit a square into a hole.
The correct phrase is "fit a square peg into a round hole". Absent the peg the words make no sense. In any case, you can fit a square peg into round hole, if the hole is enough larger than the peg.
The Man (01-31-2016), thedoc (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 02:18 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
The correct phrase is "fit a square peg into a round hole". Absent the peg the words make no sense. In any case, you can fit a square peg into round hole, if the hole is enough larger than the peg.
But that fits with everything else she has ever said, as none of it makes any sense. Peacegirl has got to be the original square peg in a round hole, and not a hole that is big enough.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:38 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
The Lessans family and ripping off taxpayers.
Well that fits with her trying to rip everyone else off, trying the get them to buy her fathers book.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But that fits with everything else she has ever said, as none of it makes any sense. Peacegirl has got to be the original square peg in a round hole, and not a hole that is big enough.
It makes complete sense to you, which is the opposite of what anyone with a working brain thinks. :(

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-31-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It makes sense to those who are looking for something to make an issue over like you Angakuk. When a person is a stickler for grammatical perfection, it's because they have nothing left to argue. It's a complete dodge.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, we can always ask her about that. I'm sure she will have no difficulties providing a direct and honest answer:

Peacegirl, were these green photons—the ones near-instantly at the retina once the traffic light turns green—always green, or have they changed to green from some other colour during their existence as photons?
This goes right back to whether the image (the information) is reflected in the light over long distances irregardless of whether the object is present or not. The efferent account disputes this belief, and your effort to find a flaw in this account based on your questioning is falling flat.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You can burn Daddy's books, take down his Twitter account (where he is still begging, from beyond the grave, for reviewers) ...
:laugh:

The review that peacegirl purchased made Seymour so sad that he's traveled back along the sacred River of Jizz from the Germinal World of Potential Consciousness to ask for new reviews.

Quote:
and do something useful with your life --
Oh deary deary me oh my, no. Doing something useful would require actual work, and peacegirl is above that sort of thing.

Quote:
like stop hitting the sauce all day long and maybe even get a job instead of stealing public funds. :wave:
The Lessans family and ripping off taxpayers go together like right wing militia whackos and firearms.
You are working overtime Stephen Dumbfuck (thank you for giving me the perfect name for you; it is so appropriate) because all you have to offer is your brand of ridicule, which hides your true insecurity about what you know and what you don't when it comes to this discovery. Your knowledge as a lawyer is one thing; your knowledge of this work is so poor that it doesn't even warrant a response from me. I am offering my response to you as a friendly gesture, free of charge. Be grateful! :biglaugh:

Old 01-31-2016, 03:10 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It makes sense to those who are looking for something to make an issue over like you Angakuk. When a person is a stickler for grammatical perfection, it's because they have nothing left to argue. It's a complete dodge.
While we're at it, "irregardless" is not a word.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're right, but it didn't show up as a misspelling so somewhere along the line it has been included as a colloquialism. Therefore it's legitimate enough for me to use in a thread; maybe not in a book.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), irregardless was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana,[5] though the word was in use in South Carolina before Indiana became a territory.[1] The usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language?". The OED goes on to explain the word is primarily a North American colloquialism.[5]

Irregardless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Your knowledge as a lawyer is one thing; your knowledge of this work is so poor that it doesn't even warrant a response from me.
Remember the multiple times in this thread that you've disagreed with direct quotes from your father's book? It must be disheartening to have spent thousands upon thousands of hour on the book and not even know what's in it.

Quote:
I am offering my response to you as a friendly gesture, free of charge.
Much obliged, but it's only fair considering that American taxpayers -- myself included -- pay all your bills. :yup:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2016), But (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Your knowledge as a lawyer is one thing; your knowledge of this work is so poor that it doesn't even warrant a response from me.
Remember the multiple times in this thread that you've disagreed with direct quotes from your father's book? It must be disheartening to have spent thousands upon thousands of hour on the book and not even know what's in it.
:lmao:

Quote:
I am offering my response to you as a friendly gesture, free of charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Dumbfuck
Much obliged, but it's only fair considering that American taxpayers -- myself included -- pay all your bills. :yup:

Old 01-31-2016, 05:56 PM

Very nice video. :)

Watch The Video That’s Taking The World By Storm Today. This Will Leave You Questioning Everything! | Globe Today

Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're right, but it didn't show up as a misspelling so somewhere along the line it has been included as a colloquialism. Therefore it's legitimate enough for me to use in a thread; maybe not in a book.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), irregardless was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana,[5] though the word was in use in South Carolina before Indiana became a territory.[1] The usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language?". The OED goes on to explain the word is primarily a North American colloquialism.[5]

To summarize: Like "I could care less" and "is comprised of", it's broken language that makes you sound like an idiot.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (02-02-2016), Stephen Maturin (01-31-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To summarize: Like "I could care less" and "is comprised of", it's broken language that makes you sound like an idiot.
Sorry, but I speak English and I'm entitled to use colloquialisms at my discretion. It makes you look desperate to find something, anything, that makes me look bad because you don't want to believe Lessans knew what he was talking about. It's not working.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This goes right back to whether the image (the information) is reflected in the light over long distances irregardless of whether the object is present or not. The efferent account disputes this belief, and your effort to find a flaw in this account based on your questioning is falling flat.
No, it has nothing to do with that, and you haven't answered the question. In fact you haven't answered any of my questions at all. You half-answered a question earlier, only to then immediately retract your answer and deny ever having said it. Pathetic.
Angakuk (02-02-2016), The Man (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What? I didn't say anything about magic or teleportation! What on Earth are you on about? I just asked you a plain simple question about the photons YOU SAY will be instantly at the retina. Again...

Bump.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy