Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 07-31-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
thedoc, you're spamming.
Now I get it, you're just upset that I'm not multi-posting, good for you.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
From your premise it makes him look wrong.
Those 'premises' are how we built the computer you're using, you idiot. They're not premises at all: they're facts about the world we've discovered. Sorry it doesn't line up with your crackpot views you inherited from your dad.

You realise this doesn't matter? You're just one amusing nutter ranting on a fairly irrelevant forum on the internet. There are lots like you, with their own crackpot ideas, and you're indistinguishable from all of them. Meanwhile, we'll keep on ignoring everything your dad said, and things will keep working and vaccines will keep saving lives, and all of this nonsense you're spouting will be forgotten. You get that, right? That you're not convincing anyone of anything, and are mostly presenting your father's work here for cheap laughs?

Stop wasting your time. I'm not going to go all N.A. on you and tell you to get help, but why don't you stop with this obsession for a bit?
It's not an obsession. It's a calling. I dislike being here as much as you dislike my being here, but it's the lesser (right now) of two evils. I am working on other things and when I find a better outlet I will be gone (once again). Regardless of what you think, these discoveries (all three) can and will bring world peace whether it's in my lifetime or not. Why can't you just leave this thread and move on if you dislike it so much? You won't have to waste your time, which you obviously feel you're doing if you believe I'm wasting mine. :glare:

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-31-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Huh? How can the candle be seen in the mirror from 5 miles away?
What do you mean by "can be seen"? Do you mean if we can make out details about the structure of the light source?
Yes, that's what I mean. Per the Fizeau example, they distanced themselves 5 miles apart. How can a candle (the light source) be seen that far away in this rudimentary experiment? Yes, he did use a clever way to figure out the speed of light. I'm not disputing that.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
There is no foreknowledge. That's what I'm trying to tell you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GdB View Post
reaction has nothing to do with what I am saying.
This is the important part:
You magically change the modality of the occurrence when it is in the past. It is that simple. If something once was possible in the future, then it was possible, even if we now know what really happened.

No one is disputing that it was a possible option before the fact.

Quote:
So I'll spell out what I mean:
  • My lack of foreknowledge before the event has nothing to do with the modality of the sentence.
  • My having knowledge after the event has nothing to do with the modality of the sentence.

So the modality of the sentences:
  • You can choose dish 7.
  • You could have chosen dish 7.

Is exactly the same. The only difference is that the second sentence is in the past tense. Without you understanding this you are not equipped to understand the problem of free will and determinism at all.
No GdB, it is not the same. You can choose dish 7 is a true statement before the moment of choice. You could have chosen dish 7 once the choice is made is false. You could have chosen dish 7 if you had wanted to, but you didn't want to because there were better alternatives [in comparison] rendering choice 7 an impossibility. Therefore, you could not have chosen dish 7 under the same exact circumstances.

The word ‘choice’ itself indicates there are meaningful differences
otherwise there would be no choice in the matter at all as with A and
A. The reason you are confused is because the word choice is very
misleading for it assumes that man has two or more possibilities, but
in reality this is a delusion because the direction of life, always moving
towards greater satisfaction, compels a person to prefer of differences
what he, not someone else, considers better for himself, and when two
or more alternatives are presented for his consideration he is
compelled by his very nature to prefer not that one which he considers
worse, but what gives every indication of being better or more
satisfying for the particular set of circumstances involved.

Choosing,
or the comparison of differences, is an integral part of man’s nature,
but to reiterate this important point...he is compelled to prefer of
alternatives that which he considers better for himself and though he
chooses various things all through the course of his life, he is never
given any choice at all. Although the definition of free will states that
man can choose good or evil without compulsion or necessity, how is
it possible for the will of man to be free when choice is under a
tremendous amount of compulsion to choose the most preferable
alternative each and every moment of time?

Quote:
The preferable choice is determined by the law of greater satisfaction, which you completely ignore.
Quote:
I ignore it, because it is wrong. Choosing according my preferences, or better, being able to act according my preferences, is all what free will is about. We had this already many times at CFI. Your understanding of free will implies that people only would be free if they would be free to do what they do not prefer. That is absurd.
That's not it at all. Having options does not grant us free will. It only gives us options. The only way free will would exist is if we could choose A or B equally which is impossible when we are comparing meaningful differences that push us [out of necessity] in one direction only. What is choice other than contemplating which option is most preferable? You are making a mockery out of choice?

Quote:
So here you repeat all errors again in on short paragraph:

Quote:
No, this is the crux of the problem. It's easy to ignore it, if that's what you desire to do. But it doesn't take away from the fact that once a choice is made based on the reasoning (or lack thereof) that is taking place to determine which direction to go, YOU COULD NOT HAVE DONE OTHERWISE ONCE THAT CHOICE WAS MADE. That does not mean that if the choice was less than satisfactory, that another choice could not be made a moment later.
The only difference when the choice is made, is that it happened, that we now all know what your choice was, and that, as the event lies in the past, cannot change anymore. But surely you could have done otherwise, in the simple modal meaning I explained.
You could not have done otherwise given the same exact circumstances. This is the big fallacy and cannot be used to support the "free will" compatibilist view you are trying to convince me of.

Quote:
I cannot say 'tomorrow I will eat in a restaurant: I can choose between 10 dishes', and then afterwards say 'yesterday I have eaten in the restaurant: I could not choose between 10 dishes'.
Who is saying that? You seem to be of the belief that having options is equivalent to having free will. The confusion is with how free will is being defined. And I'm not yelling at you just because I have some words in caps. It's for emphasis only.

Quote:
At physical level there exist no possibilities, no choices, no humans: only natural processes that are, at coarse level, determined.
What do you mean by "at physical level there exist no possibilities? At physical level (the dimension we live in) we have choices, possibilities, and humans exist (they are the agents of choice), but having choices does not grant us free will. If you understood Lessans' proposition at all, you would have understood why having choices is not equivalent to having free will of any kind.

Quote:
So if you want to consistent with your 'you could not have done otherwise once that choice was made' (please stop yelling at me) you should formulate the sentences as follows:
  • It is determined what I will choose to eat, so I can only take the dish I will take: but I do not yet know what I will eat.
  • It was determined what I would choose to eat, I could only take the dish that I took: but now I know what I have chosen.
Okay, fair enough.

A. It is determined what I will choose to eat, so I can only take the dish I will take: but I do not yet know what I will eat.

B. It was determined what I wold choose to eat, I could only take the dish that I took: but now I know what I've chosen.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:26 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
thedoc, you're spamming.
What am I selling? I don't think you understand what spamming is. Peacegirl does. Just because I get on line occasionally, and make several posts at a time, does not make it spam.
Bullshit. In any case, 6 posts in a row is flooding, especially if there is no real content.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean by "can be seen"? Do you mean if we can make out details about the structure of the light source?
Yes, that's what I mean. Per the Fizeau example, they distanced themselves 5 miles apart. How can a candle (the light source) be seen that far away in this rudimentary experiment? Yes, he did use a clever way to figure out the speed of light. I'm not disputing that.
You're disputing that the light source is bright enough to be seen, but you're not disputing that the experiment measured the speed of light? As usual, you're not making sense.

In the original experiment, the light source was a high-intensity lamp and not a candle ("La lumière était empruntée à une lampe disposée de manière à offrir une source de lumière très-vive.") Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences / publiés... par MM. les secrétaires perpétuels
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-31-2015), Dragar (07-31-2015), LadyShea (08-03-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:18 PM
puzzler

Quote:
The Fizeau experiment didn't use a candle. But according to this website, we can see a candle flame from thirty miles away using the naked eye on a dark night. The observer, and/or the candle, would have to be on mountains as thirty miles would put the candle below the horizon on normal terrain.

Quote:
...if you were standing atop a mountain surveying a larger-than-usual patch of the planet, you could perceive bright lights hundreds of miles distant. On a dark night, you could even see a candle flame flickering up to 30 mi. (48 km) away.
Quote:
The scientists found that for study participants to perceive such a flash of light more than half the time, the subjects required between 54 and 148 photons to hit their eyeballs. Based on measurements of retinal absorption, the scientists calculated that a factor of 10 fewer photons were actually being absorbed by the participant's rod cells.
Interestingly, frogs eyes are even more sensitive than ours: experiments have shown that a frog's eye can react to a single photon of light, under ideal conditions.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're disputing that the light source is bright enough to be seen, but you're not disputing that the experiment measured the speed of light? As usual, you're not making sense.

In the original experiment, the light source was a high-intensity lamp and not a candle ("La lumière était empruntée à une lampe disposée de manière à offrir une source de lumière très-vive.") Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences / publiés... par MM. les secrétaires perpétuels
You're right. I thought the second time they did the experiment (51/2 miles apart), they were using a candle. It really makes no difference what the light source was; how could it be seen in a mirror with the naked eye 5 1/2 miles away? Obviously, he was able to measure the speed of light at this distance. Here is the youtube video again.

Fizeau, experiment - YouTube

Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Quote:
The Fizeau experiment didn't use a candle. But according to this website, we can see a candle flame from thirty miles away using the naked eye on a dark night. The observer, and/or the candle, would have to be on mountains as thirty miles would put the candle below the horizon on normal terrain.

Quote:
...if you were standing atop a mountain surveying a larger-than-usual patch of the planet, you could perceive bright lights hundreds of miles distant. On a dark night, you could even see a candle flame flickering up to 30 mi. (48 km) away.
Quote:
The scientists found that for study participants to perceive such a flash of light more than half the time, the subjects required between 54 and 148 photons to hit their eyeballs. Based on measurements of retinal absorption, the scientists calculated that a factor of 10 fewer photons were actually being absorbed by the participant's rod cells.
Interestingly, frogs eyes are even more sensitive than ours: experiments have shown that a frog's eye can react to a single photon of light, under ideal conditions.
Interesting.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Shit, I already expressed it. Are you sleeping?
You didn't. If you did, I can't find it. Why won't you be helpful in explaining what you mean, given it was your mistake that lead to you being incomprehensible?

Instead, you're hostile and obfuscate. That's the sign of someone who knows they've been caught making shit up, not someone trying to explain something.
I'm not being hostile. Who was the one that called me an idiot first Dragar? My statement was just that: a simple mistake that you are trying to make into a mountain. You know you can't win using this strategy. Why don't you try something more believable? :(
So you're not going to to explain what you actually meant? Or even link it? Or quote it?

Why not, I wonder?
Freethought Forum - View Single Post - A revolution in thought
But you just repeat the same nonsense in that post!

"Efferent vision puts the observer in the field of view of the object."

So what's the field of view of my coffee mug?
Being in the field of view (line of sight) OF THE OBJECT is not the same thing as saying in the OBJECT'S FIELD OF VIEW, which is what you rightly objected to.
Yes, it is the same. The 'of the object' is the possessive; that's what the apostrophe followed by an 's' means: "object's field of view" is the same as "field of view of the object", just as "Harry's house" is the same as "the house of Harry". Or "England's population" is the same as "the population of England".

So what is the field of view of my coffee mug? Or if you prefer: what's my coffee mug's field of view?

Quote:
So how would you say it then given this definition?
The way you use the phrase has nothing to do with the definition you give (the distance subtended by an angle at 1000 yards). That's why I called you out on it: you're reciting nonsense.
Angakuk (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
It really makes no difference what the light source was; how could it be seen in a mirror with the naked eye 5 1/2 miles away?
What? It makes no difference what the light source was? It makes all the difference. How do you think we can see stars? What if the light source is an atomic bomb?

Quote:
Obviously, he was able to measure the speed of light at this distance. Here is the youtube video again.
How the fucking fuck would he be able to measure the speed of light without seeing the light in the device?

You still have no idea how the experiment works, right?

Explain it in your own words. No link, no youtube video, just tell us how the damn experiment works.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
thedoc, you're spamming.
What am I selling? I don't think you understand what spamming is. Peacegirl does. Just because I get on line occasionally, and make several posts at a time, does not make it spam.
Bullshit. In any case, 6 posts in a row is flooding, especially if there is no real content.
It's almost as if you didn't read them, but it's OK, the ignore function is useful at times.

BTW, which is it, was I spamming, or Flooding, or both?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Shit, I already expressed it. Are you sleeping?
You didn't. If you did, I can't find it. Why won't you be helpful in explaining what you mean, given it was your mistake that lead to you being incomprehensible?

Instead, you're hostile and obfuscate. That's the sign of someone who knows they've been caught making shit up, not someone trying to explain something.
I'm not being hostile. Who was the one that called me an idiot first Dragar? My statement was just that: a simple mistake that you are trying to make into a mountain. You know you can't win using this strategy. Why don't you try something more believable? :(
So you're not going to to explain what you actually meant? Or even link it? Or quote it?

Why not, I wonder?
Freethought Forum - View Single Post - A revolution in thought
But you just repeat the same nonsense in that post!

"Efferent vision puts the observer in the field of view of the object."

So what's the field of view of my coffee mug?
Being in the field of view (line of sight) OF THE OBJECT is not the same thing as saying in the OBJECT'S FIELD OF VIEW, which is what you rightly objected to.
Yes, it is the same. The 'of the object' is the possessive; that's what the apostrophe followed by an 's' means: "object's field of view" is the same as "field of view of the object", just as "Harry's house" is the same as "the house of Harry". Or "England's population" is the same as "the population of England".

So what is the field of view of my coffee mug? Or if you prefer: what's my coffee mug's field of view?

Quote:
So how would you say it then given this definition?
The way you use the phrase has nothing to do with the definition you give (the distance subtended by an angle at 1000 yards). That's why I called you out on it: you're reciting nonsense.
This is the first sentence in Wiki which is what I meant, although I didn't express it right.

The field of view (also field of vision, abbreviated FOV) is the extent of the observable world that is seen at any given moment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
This is the first sentence in Wiki which is what I meant, although I didn't express it right.

The field of view (also field of vision, abbreviated FOV) is the extent of the observable world that is seen at any given moment

Field of view - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That definition is just a definition. I know what field of view means.

Your sentence "efferent vision puts the observer in the field of view of the object" is still nonsense.

What is the field of view of my coffee mug, given it doesn't see anything of the observable world at all?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It really makes no difference what the light source was; how could it be seen in a mirror with the naked eye 5 1/2 miles away?
What? It makes no difference what the light source was? It makes all the difference. How do you think we can see stars? What if the light source is an atomic bomb?

Quote:
Obviously, he was able to measure the speed of light at this distance. Here is the youtube video again.
How the fucking fuck would he be able to measure the speed of light without seeing the light in the device?

You still have no idea how the experiment works, right?

Explain it in your own words. No link, no youtube video, just tell us how the damn experiment works.
I don't know what you're talking about when you say "How the fucking fuck would he be able to measure the speed of light without seeing the light in the device?" He was able to determine the speed of light by using a toothed wheel. As the wheel began to spin faster and faster the light was occluded (he couldn't see it anymore) because it was hitting the tooth and not passing through the notch. Based on the distance between the two stations (the light source being the first station and the mirror being the second which was 51/2 miles away), the speed of the wheel, and the number of notches in the wheel, he was able to calculate the speed of light by 2% of its actual value.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Field of view - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That definition is just a definition. I know what field of view means.

Your sentence "efferent vision puts the observer in the field of view of the object" is still nonsense.

What is the field of view of my coffee mug, given it doesn't see anything of the observable world at all?
I already told you I didn't express it right. Why are you harping on this? This does nothing to discredit efferent vision.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by that?
Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I can't imagine being able to see a reflection of the light source that far away. Maybe I'm wrong here.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
I already told you I didn't express it right.
So far you don't appear to know what you were even wanting to express.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't imagine being able to see a reflection of the light source that far away. Maybe I'm wrong here.
Well of course you're wrong. Otherwise the experiment wouldn't work and no one could get a value for the speed of light out of that experiment.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 PM
puzzler

You can see the moon (for example) which is a quarter of a million miles away - and you can see the moon almost as well when you look at its reflection in a hand mirror.

...or perhaps you can't? But most people can anyway.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I already told you I didn't express it right. Why are you harping on this? This does nothing to discredit efferent vision.

Yes, we certainly don't need this to discredit efferent vision, efferent vision is discredited by definition. This is being used to discredit you, which at this time isn't necessary.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:00 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
You can see the moon (for example) which is a quarter of a million miles away - and you can see the moon almost as well when you look at its reflection in a hand mirror.

Yeah, whatever, ceptimus. Let's not lose track of what's truly important here, namely that "[w]e hear planes before we ever see them, even if we know where to look."

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (08-03-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:

We couldn't see a reflection of the moon if the mirror was 5 miles away from where we were standing, could we? A hand mirror is right next to us.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well of course you're wrong. Otherwise the experiment wouldn't work and no one could get a value for the speed of light out of that experiment.
I think you're misunderstanding me. If a mirror is 5 miles away, we wouldn't be able to see the reflection of the lamp in that mirror. We would see the light on its return as it enters our eyes which is how he was able to calculate the speed of light. I'm not disputing this.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy