Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 AM

Default Re: A Revolution in Thought: Part Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Is there no part of your shattered mind that is aware of what a blatant falsehood this is? What you have actually been saying has repeatedly changed and flip-flopped. That there is some consistent position behind all of this patent changing and flip-flopping which you have been trying to share is both a claim you have yet to substantiate and completely irrelevant to the accurate charge of flip-flopping.
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. And please don't get nasty on me Spacemonkey. I am trying to understand your questions and answer them appropriately. This is not easy to explain, therefore it may appear inconsistent but as we move along you'll see that I'm not flip-flopping at all.
Flip-flopping is defined by what you write, not by what you wanted to write, or somehow intended to convey, or otherwise wish you had said. When you give one answer, then subsequently reverse it, only to later revert back to the initial answer, that is flip-flopping. And that is exactly what you have done. Over and over again.
If I accidentally flip-flopped it doesn't mean Lessans was wrong or that there was an inconsistency that didn't match his observation. I just have to explain better.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Have you forgotten agreeing that wavelength is an inherent property of light (and not of objects), and that travelling light always has a wavelength?
In fact, the word "wavelength" is meaningless unless the thing in question is moving. Immobile objects cannot have wavelengths; they can only vibrate.
I get that. Where did you get the idea that I thought objects have wavelengths? Light has wavelengths.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
But this is exactly what I was describing as instantaneous teleportation of duplicate light before, and you denied that was what happens. (On this model, the light at the surface of the object is constantly creating and updating duplicate copies of itself at the film or retina.)
Duplicate copies? Would you call a mirror image a duplicate copy?
Yes.

Quote:
Quote:
Imagine the Sun is ignited, but comes into existence alternating between yellow and green every second. When it first ignites, it is yellow, and yellow light comes into existence at the observer's eyes. So there is yellow light at the observer's eyes and at the Sun. One second later, what color is the light in the observer's eyes?
One second later the observer would see green.
Good. So there is then green light coming into existence at the observer's eyes.

Quote:
Quote:
Is this light the same light that was there just before, but with a new color (frequency)?
How could it be the same light that was there before when light is constantly moving?

Quote:
Or is there new light constantly coming into existence in the observer's eyes, matching the real-time color of the Sun?
Exactly. The photons are constantly coming into existence in the observer's eyes, matching the real-time color of the Sun.
Great.

Quote:
Quote:
And where is the yellow light which was at the Sun a second ago? Is any of it travelling towards the observer at this point?
There is no yellow light traveling to the eye. That's what I'm trying to tell you. It's there already the instant the Sun changes color. :doh:
Wait, what? When I say that the Sun is ignited, I mean that a great ball of photon-emitting fusing hydrogen and helium comes to exist. What do you mean?

Does light never exist at the Sun? Is the newly existing Sun not emitting any light? When first ignited, is the yellow light only in the observer's eyes and not at the Sun? Or does the yellow light at the Sun cease to exist as it leaves the Sun's surface, such that it never travels anywhere?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
If I accidentally flip-flopped it doesn't mean Lessans was wrong or that there was an inconsistency that didn't match his observation. I just have to explain better.
That you have previously flip-flopped has nothing to do with whether it was deliberate or accidental. Nor does it prove Lessans wrong. That you can't stop flip-flopping however does show efferent vision to be an incoherent and inconsistent mess.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 01-07-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I get that. Where did you get the idea that I thought objects have wavelengths? Light has wavelengths.
Probably from here:
Quote:
Nooo, that's not what is happening. You think that light is taking the frequency and wavelength with it through space and time, correct? I am not purposely creating a strawman. I'm trying to tell you that wavelengths of objects do not get carried along without the object being present in some fashion, even if it's behind the horizon, or around a corner as in a mirror.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You haven't answered the question. You said that "photons would already be at the film before the photograph is taken". I want to know if those will be the same or different photons which are in that same place at the next moment when the photograph is taken. Which is it? Are they the same photons or different ones?
Because even though it's a different photon at the film, it doesn't matter...
Oh, but it does matter! I asked you where the light which is at the camera when the photograph is taken was just before the photograph was taken. You said it was at the camera. But if the light at the camera just before the photograph was taken was different light, then you have incorrectly answered this first question. Because the light you are talking about is not the light I was asking about. So...
This is not going to work. You're never going to understand this the way you're going about it.

Quote:
Did those specific photons (at the camera when the photograph is taken) exist immediately before the photograph was taken? [Yes or No]
Yes.

Quote:
If so, then where were those specific photons at the moment in time immediately preceding the taking of the photograph? [State a location]

Remember that you cannot answer "At the film/camera" to the second question, because you have just agreed that the light at that location just before the photograph is taken will be different light.
According to afferent vision, they would be traveling toward the film.

Quote:
Again, you haven't answered the question I asked: If something is at the same place at two consecutive times, is it moving during that time period, or is it stationary? Which is it? Moving or stationary?
Quote:
If I am driving my car to my son's house, it cannot be parked in front of my house and at my son's house at the same time. It is moving during that time period.
Quote:
What? I asked you about light at the same place at different times, and you answer by speaking of something not being at different places at the same time? I'll ask you again:-

If something is at the same place at two consecutive times, is it moving during that time period, or is it stationary?
This question is confusing me. I'm not sure what you mean.

Quote:
I am not challenging the assumption that remains in the same place over two consecutive moments in time hasn't moved, but photons are constantly in motion, so the photon that was present a second ago isn't the same photon the same photon that is present when the photograph is taken.
Quote:
If the light which was at the camera just before the photograph is taken was different light from that present at the camera at the next moment when the photograph is taken, then you have yet to tell me where this latter light was at the former time. It can't have been at the camera.

So where was it?
According to afferent vision, it was traveling toward the camera.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
This is not going to work. You're never going to understand this the way you're going about it.
By asking you questions and expecting you to answer them?

Quote:
Quote:
Did those specific photons (at the camera when the photograph is taken) exist immediately before the photograph was taken? [Yes or No]
Yes.

Quote:
If so, then where were those specific photons at the moment in time immediately preceding the taking of the photograph? [State a location]

Remember that you cannot answer "At the film/camera" to the second question, because you have just agreed that the light at that location just before the photograph is taken will be different light.
According to afferent vision, they would be traveling toward the film.
And according to efferent vision?

Where were those specific photons at the moment in time immediately preceding the taking of the photograph?
[State a location]

Quote:
Quote:
If something is at the same place at two consecutive times, is it moving during that time period, or is it stationary?
This question is confusing me. I'm not sure what you mean.
Really? What part is confusing you? If something is at place A at time t1, and also at place A at the immediately following time t2, has it moved or remained stationary during the time period t1-t2?

Quote:
Quote:
If the light which was at the camera just before the photograph is taken was different light from that present at the camera at the next moment when the photograph is taken, then you have yet to tell me where this latter light was at the former time. It can't have been at the camera.

So where was it?
According to afferent vision, it was traveling toward the camera.
And where was it according to efferent vision?

Why would you answer these questions according to afferent vision when you know damn well that this is not what I am asking you to do?

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 01-07-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Probably from here:
Quote:
Nooo, that's not what is happening. You think that light is taking the frequency and wavelength with it through space and time, correct? I am not purposely creating a strawman. I'm trying to tell you that wavelengths of objects do not get carried along without the object being present in some fashion, even if it's behind the horizon, or around a corner as in a mirror.
That was my mistake. I meant to say that wavelengths of light that are being reflected from the object...
Old 01-07-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You haven't answered the question. You said that "photons would already be at the film before the photograph is taken". I want to know if those will be the same or different photons which are in that same place at the next moment when the photograph is taken. Which is it? Are they the same photons or different ones?
Because even though it's a different photon at the film, it doesn't matter...
Oh, but it does matter! I asked you where the light which is at the camera when the photograph is taken was just before the photograph was taken. You said it was at the camera. But if the light at the camera just before the photograph was taken was different light, then you have incorrectly answered this first question. Because the light you are talking about is not the light I was asking about. So...

Quote:
Quote:
Again, you haven't answered the question I asked: If something is at the same place at two consecutive times, is it moving during that time period, or is it stationary? Which is it? Moving or stationary?
If I am driving my car to my son's house, it cannot be parked in front of my house and at my son's house at the same time. It is moving during that time period.
What? I asked you about light at the same place at different times, and you answer by speaking of something not being at different places at the same time? I'll ask you again:-

Quote:
I am not challenging the assumption that remains in the same place over two consecutive moments in time hasn't moved, but photons are constantly in motion, so the photon that was present a second ago isn't the same photon the same photon that is present when the photograph is taken.

So where was it?
Bump.
I answered this to the best of my ability, and it doesn't change a darn thing. Will you try to understand the efferent version, because your logic is going to conclude that efferent vision is wrong every single time? The very first thing you need to understand is that photons, although they are being replaced every second, cannot exist independently without the object. Try to grasp that one thought before telling me it's wrong, and maybe I can break through this thick wall of confusion.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
I'm actually not. The difference between the Sun's photons traveling to Earth in 8.3 minutes, and us being able to see the Sun instantly (as it explodes) are not in contradiction if you understand the efferent version of sight. It would be a contradiction if you are coming from the afferent version of sight. I'm going to have to keep repeating this because this is exactly where the problem stems.
I am talking about photography not sight. Even if vision works the way you are describing, camera film does not.

We are talking about the known properties of light, and the known interaction between light and film which requires physical contact.

Your explanation requires light and film to change their properties and be able to come into physical contact while there is a physical distance between them.

You need to explain how efferent vision negates the known properties of light and camera film.
It doesn't negate the properties of light, that's just the point.
So, if the sun was turned on at noon, could we photograph it at noon, the same time we could see it with our efferent vision, or would we have to wait until 12:08.5 when the physical light arrives to come in physical contact with the film?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I answered this to the best of my ability, and it doesn't change a darn thing. Will you try to understand the efferent version, because your logic is going to conclude that efferent vision is wrong every single time? The very first thing you need to understand is that photons, although they are being replaced every second, cannot exist independently without the object. Try to grasp that one thought before telling me it's wrong, and maybe I can break through this thick wall of confusion.
We cross-posted. I bumped at the same time you answered. I have since edited that post to provide a reply. And no, you haven't answered to the best of your ability. You have deliberately answered according to afferent vision, knowing perfectly well that this was not what was being asked of you. Which means the actual questions have not been answered at all.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
:lol:
Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LadyShea, why do you keep bringing this analogy up using water, hands or what have you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Because you don't seem to understand that camera film and photons have to touch to have the photochemical reaction necessary to form a photographic image.
But they are forming a photochemical reaction because the light is interacting with the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
It's just that if the Sun exploded we would be seeing the Sun explode instantly because of the eyes being efferent, yet the photons would not have arrived on Earth for us to see each other.
Quote:
And could we take a photograph of the sun when we could see the sun, or when we could see each other?
If the light from the Sun has not hypothetically gotten here yet, we would not be able to see each other because there's no light around the individual we are looking at. But we would see the Sun because there is light around the Sun which is all that is required in the efferent version of sight.
Quote:
You didn't answer the question.

Would we be able to take a photograph of the sun at the same time we see the sun, or when we can see each other 8.5 minutes later when the photons arrive?
We would be able to take a photograph of the Sun at the same time we see the Sun. That's why we always get the same exact photograph as what we are seeing.

Quote:
Remember, the photons and the film have to be in physical contact, they have to be touching. Camera film is not efferent eyes and brain.
Camera film is exactly like the retina. It works the same way. The only difference is that a camera takes a picture using the light; and we see the actual object using the same light.

Quote:
Lessans didn't say anything about photography, which is problematic for you because of all the discrepancies created if vision is efferent and cameras work as they are known and designed to work. You have had to come up with some form of efferent photography...and you can't make it fit without breaking the laws of physics.
LadyShea, nothing changes. The only thing that has been misunderstood is the belief that a camera detects light (whether the object is in view or not) and forms an image, whereas in efferent vision (which involves the same principles using a camera), the camera still detects light but that light is a mirror image that shows up on the film instantaneously, which means that the object must be in the lenses' field of view.
No, that's not how film works. The film must be in physical contact with the light. It cannot do so with 93 million miles between the photons and the film.

What are you not understanding here?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
? The very first thing you need to understand is that photons, although they are being replaced every second, cannot exist independently without the object. Try to grasp that one thought before telling me it's wrong.
Are you trying to say that photons can only exist as long as the object exists, and if the object would cease to exist the photons that were reflected or emmited from that object would also cease to exist?
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
You have to picture the visual range as a canvas
A canvas where? A canvas doing what or having what done to it?

Quote:
, and the photons interact directly with the film but without having to travel to the film.
In order to interact with a canvas, the paint or ink must touch the canvas. You cannot draw or paint on a canvas if there is a physical distance between the canvas and the materials it is interacting with...unless you throw the paint or ink (which means travel time).

It's the same with light and film. You cannot get a photographic image on the film unless they physically interact through physical contact.

In order for that the happen the light has to get to the film to touch it, somehow. We know light is in constant motion. We know it travels at a finite speed. We know it cannot be in two places at once. We know it cannot appear at a location instantly.

How does that happen according to you?
You're misunderstanding what I meant by "canvas". I'll have to give you another metaphor.
It doesn't even matter what you meant. My canvas analogy still applies to light and film..
Old 01-07-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Why would you answer 'Yes' to this?

You've said that for the newly ignited Sun light is constantly coming into existence inside the observer's eyes. Other than the obvious reason - that this suggestion is completely insane - why wouldn't you say the same thing for photography by denying that this particular bit of light (at the camera when the photograph is taken) existed before the photograph was taken?

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 01-07-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:

Exactly. The photons are constantly coming into existence in the observer's eyes, matching the real-time color of the Sun.
Whoa, peacegirl! Are you seriously suggesting that when I look at the sun, photons all magically appear in my eyes to interact with my retina, with a wavelength that matches the instaneously matches the colour of the sun at that moment 8.4 light minutes away?

Do they do that for every object around the Sun, too? Or just retinas and photographic film?

What about intervening empty space, do they appear there as well?
LadyShea (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And where is the yellow light which was at the Sun a second ago? Is any of it travelling towards the observer at this point?
There is no yellow light traveling to the eye. That's what I'm trying to tell you. It's there already the instant the Sun changes color. :doh:
Wait, what? When I say that the Sun is ignited, I mean that a great ball of photon-emitting fusing hydrogen and helium comes to exist. What do you mean?

Does light never exist at the Sun? Is the newly existing Sun not emitting any light? When first ignited, is the yellow light only in the observer's eyes and not at the Sun? Or does the yellow light at the Sun cease to exist as it leaves the Sun's surface, such that it never travels anywhere?
To my mind, this is the weirdest part yet. It's like she thinks light only ever exists on the retina in a constantly changing and updating pattern, or that it only exists there and on the surface of objects without ever leaving that surface or travelling anywhere. But on neither of these conceptions does light ever actually move, despite her agreement that light is always in motion.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
The very first thing you need to understand is that photons, although they are being replaced every second, cannot exist independently without the object. Try to grasp that one thought before telling me it's wrong, and maybe I can break through this thick wall of confusion.
That thought is 100% wrong. We went over and over and over this until you agreed you understood that photons are their own existing separate thing. Once the photons leave the emitting or reflecting object they continue to exist regardless of the state of the source, because light is energy, and energy cannot be destroyed. They travel unless/until they are absorbed and/or otherwise converted to a different type of energy.

They absolutely exist independently of the emitting source just as you exist independently of your mother.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Spiffiest wanger

It is simply awe-inspiring the lengths to which peacegirl will go to defend this insanity. At some level she knows it's all drivel, so she has to constantly flip and flop and hand-wave and misdirect and say one thing and then later on say something the opposite, all because no matter what she says sooner or later she ends up in a flat contradiction. I said long ago that Lessans was not only wrong, he was talking incoherent, self-contradictory gibberish, and peacegirl's hopeless flailing about establishes this point much more clearly than anything anyone else has said. What is especially both galling and amusing is her continued insistence that we don't get it because we are examining her claims on the assumption of afferent seeing. Apart from the fact that afferent sight is not an "assumption" but an established scientific fact, the truth of the matter is that her claims are being examined entirely upon the presumption of her "efferent seeing," to see if efferent seeing makes sense. And, of course, we find that "efferent seeing" resides on the opposite side of the universe from where sense is located.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
The very first thing you need to understand is that photons, although they are being replaced every second, cannot exist independently without the object. Try to grasp that one thought before telling me it's wrong, and maybe I can break through this thick wall of confusion.
:lol:

Isn't that precious? We need to understand something that is absolutely, gob-smackingly, absurdly, one-hundred percent fucking wrong.

No, peacegirl, we do not need to "understand" something so laughably stupid.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, light has to be at the eyes, but the light does not have to be around the person. It could be dark, yet we could see something far away because the light from that object will instantly be at the retina.
So when the Sun is first ignited, such that before this time there was no light at the Earth or any observer's eyes, are you saying that light will instantly materialize and come into existence inside the Earthbound observer's eyes at that moment?
Exactly. But you have to understand why Spacemonkey. You're not getting it yet, so it sounds crazy because the light hasn't reached the eyes ACCORDING TO THE AFFERENT MODEL OF SIGHT.
Can anyone summarize the First Law of Thermodynamics for me? Anyone? Bueller?

Aside from the problem that light is being created ex nihilo, you'll note that if peacegirl's claim is true, this would mean the Sun (and all other light-emitting objects) essentially produces an infinite amount of energy.
Thanks, from:
davidm (01-07-2012), Spacemonkey (01-07-2012), Stephen Maturin (01-07-2012), Vivisectus (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 AM
I'm Deplorable.

First lawThe first law of thermodynamics may be expressed by several forms of the fundamental thermodynamic relation for a closed system:

Increase in internal energy of a system = heat supplied to the system - work done by the system.
For a thermodynamic cycle, the net heat supplied to the system equals the net work done by the system.
The net change in internal energy is the energy that flows in as heat minus the energy that flows out as the work that the system performs on its environment. Work and heat are not defined as separately conserved quantities; they refer only to processes of exchange of energy.

These statements entail that the internal energy obeys the principle of conservation of energy. The principle of conservation of energy may be stated in several ways:

Energy can be neither created nor destroyed. It can only change forms.In any process in an isolated system, the total energy remains the same.

Who else thinks Peacegirl will just hand-wave this away and say it is one of those ideas that needs to be re-examined and tested in light of efferent vision?

While this applies to energy, I believe that the same principle has been applied to matter so that 'Matter can be neither created or destroyed but can only change form', and now with atomic theory that would include matter changing to energy and energy changing to matter in some extreme cases.

Last edited by thedoc; 01-07-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Does anyone think that peacegirl has ever even heard of the laws of thermodynamics? Show of hands? Anyone?
Thanks, from:
thedoc (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 AM

What would happen if you pointed two cameras towards each other during daylight?

Would that be like dividing by zero?

Why don't people's heads explode when they look into each other's eyes?

(This post isn't for you Peacegirl. No need to reply.)
Stephen Maturin (01-07-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy