Fun will now commence

Default Re: WTF smilies you see at other forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Steve View Post
Quote:
There are mama clothes too - you probably don't want to ask about that.
Oh, but I do!

Mama Cloth appreciation thread

I like post 9 :cool:
WTF is a Diva Cup?! (Please don't make me ask them!)

I wish I could show my mom this thread. She used rags because there was no other choice when she was young. I wonder what she would think of their spending so much time and effort sewing and dying them to make them pretty. Plus, aren't they buying them ready-made? um, I'll bet that costs way more than internet access. :eek:

I put re-usable, washable pads down for my dog (to go on, not to wear). TMI? :blush: I mention it because it's a lot of trouble changing them and machine-washing them. If could still routinely make it to make it to the door whenever she needed to be let out, I would definitely still be doing that, just as I wouldn't willingly take the step backward from using disposable menstrual pads (tampons, actually) to...rags.
My mother's say-so that disposable pads were definitely the way to go was good enough for me. I wonder what their moms think of their personal hygiene choices. :scratch:
Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 AM
That's Count Von Count to you!

Location: With the beach bums, hippies and bogans. I fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven of Nine View Post

WTF is a Diva Cup?! (Please don't make me ask them!)
Home - DivaCup™

Quote:
I wish I could show my mom this thread. She used rags because there was no other choice when she was young. I wonder what she would think of their spending so much time and effort sewing and dying them to make them pretty. Plus, aren't they buying them ready-made? um, I'll bet that costs way more than internet access. :eek:

I put re-usable, washable pads down for my dog (to go on, not to wear). TMI? :blush: I mention it because it's a lot of trouble changing them and machine-washing them. If could still routinely make it to make it to the door whenever she needed to be let out, I would definitely still be doing that, just as I wouldn't willingly take the step backward from using disposable menstrual pads (tampons, actually) to...rags.
My mother's say-so that disposable pads were definitely the way to go was good enough for me. I wonder what their moms think of their personal hygiene choices. :scratch:
Frankly, I'm not sure that my mum's opinion on my menstrual habits is any more her business than it is yours (excluding what I have posted in this thread of course, that kinda makes it anybody's business). Cloth pads aren't rags. They're made out of PUL, a water-proof but breathable fabric, then a layer of absorbent material and lined with soft materials. They are environmentally friendly, far far cheaper than disposables, much more comfortable and no big deal to wash.

If they're not your thing, no dramas. But your first paragraph is contradictory and kinda hints at your lack of knowledge about cloth pads. Maybe read up a bit before getting uptight about it all.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

Search the forums here. Diva cups and cloth pads have been talked about before.

I would not switch back to disposable pads and or tampons if you paid me a million dollars.

Julie
SAHM, babywearing, cosleeping, extended breastfeeding, cloth diaper and pad using, Non-vaxing, not quite as crunchy as Count but damn close Mom to son Evan (ADHD ODD) 9, daughter Reilly (MR) 7
Count (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Fun will now commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonDee View Post
I sucked my thumb for a very long time. I learned in the first grade not to tell anyone because they'd make fun of me.

I imagine the mother was thinking of the public reaction when she urged the child to keep the dry-nursing a secret.
I think I probably sucked my thumb for even longer than you did (how old were you when you were in first grade?), and this is the very first time I've ever heard/seen anyone admit to it publicly.

What does it say about taboos (or, conversely, me?) that I came out of my bisexual closet years ago (albeit relatively quietly) but never emerged from my thumb-sucking closet until now? :kickscan:
Old 11-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I sucked my thumb for a very long time. I learned in the first grade not to tell anyone because they'd make fun of me.
I think I probably sucked my thumb for even longer than you did (how old were you when you were in first grade?), and this is the very first time I've ever heard/seen anyone admit to it publicly.
I was six in the first grade. But I didn't stop sucking my thumb until adulthood. (I only did it when I was alone, usually when reading or sleeping.)

Quote:
What does it say about taboos (or, conversely, me?) that I came out of my bisexual closet years ago (albeit relatively quietly) but never emerged from my thumb-sucking closet until now? :kickscan:
I don't know about that but I do know I'm only comfortable admitting it because I don't do it now. :shrug:
Seven of Nine (12-01-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Fun will now commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure that my mum's opinion on my menstrual habits is any more her business than it is yours (excluding what I have posted in this thread of course, that kinda makes it anybody's business). Cloth pads aren't rags. They're made out of PUL, a water-proof but breathable fabric, then a layer of absorbent material and lined with soft materials. They are environmentally friendly, far far cheaper than disposables, much more comfortable and no big deal to wash.
The ones you describe would be the commercially available pads, rather than the ones the good ladies on the forum are so assiduously engaged in dyeing and sewing by hand, even though the commercially available ones are "far far cheaper than disposables", is that correct?

According to the extensive labeling on the box, my last purchase along this line (made upon the advice of my doctor in case of leakage resulting from the removal of a polyp from my colon) was of 16 Environmentally Friendly, Flushable & Biodegradable Flushaway PANTY LINERS For Super Performance & Comfort, yet Convenient and Eco-Friendly everyday light protection. Flushaway is ultra-thin and discreet, giving extra security and cotton-like comfort. Just Flush into the Toilet! I can personally attest that the one I used was also "no big deal to wash" because I threw it away afterward, and my box of 16 cost $1.29 plus tax. Presuming I'm not rudely straying into some aspect of your "menstrual habits" which you prefer to keep private from either your mum or myself by asking this, how much did yours cost?

Quote:
If they're not your thing, no dramas. But your first paragraph is contradictory and kinda hints at your lack of knowledge about cloth pads. Maybe read up a bit before getting uptight about it all.
I claimed no special knowlege and it's true that I no longer have any need of such products, and so no real interest in "reading up a bit" on them, as such. My mother, who (once she stopped laughing) could have provided further information on the materials of which the said rags of yesteryear consisted for comparison with the materials the good ladies of the forum are using to make theirs, is dead, and I sense (I must be psychic) that you aren't as nearly as interested as I would be in making such a comparison.

So, you're correct that "no dramas" exist. Legs, to whom I distinctly recall addressing this post, would have known from reading it that I was interested in her particular take on the subject (and still am), but Legs and I have been posting together a good many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
Search the forums here. Diva cups and cloth pads have been talked about before.
If by "Search the forums" you mean what that normally does, which is, "Piss off; I can't be bothered to talk with you.", I'm in the process of doing just that.

Quote:
I would not switch back to disposable pads and or tampons if you paid me a million dollars.
Yeah, you would. Everyone here probably would, even the guys.

Since I don't have a million dollars to give away and I seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here anyhow, surely no one will mind if I neglect my assigned tasks of "searching the forums" and "reading up a bit" in favor of doing something more fun (and definitely more interactive), like playing with my dog.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:30 PM
silky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post

Are you serious? I would stuff a whole sheep in my drawers for a million bucks.
Adam (11-23-2008), Anastasia Beaverhausen (11-24-2008), erimir (11-23-2008), JoeP (11-23-2008), Seven of Nine (12-01-2008), Shelli (11-23-2008), Sock Puppet (11-24-2008), vremya (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Crumbs Sockpuppet

No I seriously meant search the forums...If I wanted to tell you to fuck off I would have. I'm know for doing so in the past. We have talked about cloth pads and Diva cups before here on the forums.

And Yes seriously...No way in hell would I ever switch back to disposable menstrual products. I had no idea how horrid they were until I found myself with my period for the first time in 15 1/2 months (due to exclusively breastfeeding my daughter that long) and a new found pattern on the internet.

My Pads BTW cost me a few min of my time...10 min to make 10. They were made out of scraps of materials.

Oh and I've been using the same ones for 6 years now. I will easily get another 6 years of use out of them.

The comfort of my Snatch is definatly worth a million dollars. I lessthan3 my Snatch.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:20 PM
silky...

I'd rather have an uncomfortable snatch and a nice savings account.
erimir (11-23-2008), Seven of Nine (12-01-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 05:44 PM

I bought a Diva Cup many years ago and have never been able to use it. It's too big to fit. I have had one child--delivered vaginally, 9 lbs. 12.5 ounces--so it's not that I gots a small snatch.

So I'm back to cluttering up our landfills with disposable pads and tampons.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM
ŧiggermonkey

I sucked my thumb 'till I was 5 when my parents decided to try putting some nasty tasting stuff on my thumb. It worked. I never sucked my thumb again.

Legs (11-24-2008), Naru (11-23-2008), Seven of Nine (12-01-2008), Watser? (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 06:01 PM
ŧiggermonkey

As far as the subjects at hand, I've decided to refrain from making any further negative comments. It's not the way I choose to live, but that doesn't make it wrong for others to choose to live that way and I apologize for any rash and/or harsh comments :=) except for the original subject of this thread, however. I still think that their smilies are hideous. :shudder:
Count (11-23-2008), Deadlokd (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 06:11 PM
ninja mother

Quote:
I bought a Diva Cup many years ago and have never been able to use it. It's too big to fit. I have had one child--delivered vaginally, 9 lbs. 12.5 ounces--so it's not that I gots a small snatch.

So I'm back to cluttering up our landfills with disposable pads and tampons.
You said "snatch" :giggle:

Actually I had wanted to try the Diva Cup too but I had heard mixed reviews on it.

Don't make me break out my ninja powers..

:llamaninja:
Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:

The ones you describe would be the commercially available pads, rather than the ones the good ladies on the forum are so assiduously engaged in dyeing and sewing by hand, even though the commercially available ones are "far far cheaper than disposables", is that correct?
No. Incorrect. The ones I described are the ones I made myself out of the leftover scraps of fabric I had after sewing nappies for my daughter. I didn't pay a cent.
Quote:
Presuming I'm not rudely straying into some aspect of your "menstrual habits" which you prefer to keep private from either your mum or myself by asking this, how much did yours cost?
See above.

Quote:
I claimed no special knowlege and it's true that I no longer have any need of such products, and so no real interest in "reading up a bit" on them, as such.
No, you didn't. However, you did contradict yourself with this
Quote:
I wonder what she would think of their spending so much time and effort sewing and dying them to make them pretty. Plus, aren't they buying them ready-made? um, I'll bet that costs way more than internet access.
It has to be one or the other, surely?! If they are buying them ready made, I doubt very much they are 'spending time and effort sewing and dying them to make them pretty'.

Quote:
My mother, who (once she stopped laughing) could have provided further information on the materials of which the said rags of yesteryear consisted for comparison with the materials the good ladies of the forum are using to make theirs, is dead, and I sense (I must be psychic) that you aren't as nearly as interested as I would be in making such a comparison.
Well my mother would laugh even harder at you so nyah! :P Hah! I win!

Quote:
So, you're correct that "no dramas" exist. Legs, to whom I distinctly recall addressing this post, would have known from reading it that I was interested in her particular take on the subject (and still am), but Legs and I have been posting together a good many years.
Oops, sorry! My mistake, didn't realise this was a PM! I thought it was a post in a thread I had been contributing to on a forum I am a member of! My bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
As far as the subjects at hand, I've decided to refrain from making any further negative comments. It's not the way I choose to live, but that doesn't make it wrong for others to choose to live that way and I apologize for any rash and/or harsh comments :=) except for the original subject of this thread, however. I still think that their smilies are hideous. :shudder:
Sounds like an excellent truce - mock the smilies, not the poster! :giggle: Unless the poster is waaaay cuckoo, in which case a little bit of mocking is probably ok. :cool:
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I think there's a pretty big disconnect on some of these things like ladies' necessaries, not just because of the squick factor, but because to a lot of women--especially but not exclusively older women--conveniences really do represent liberation in a lot of ways. Even on environmentalist forums and things like that, when reusables come up, a decent subset of female posters seem to actually take offense, and there are fights.

And when you think of it in terms of recent history, it really does make sense. Some of the old methods really did contribute to keeping women stuck around the house, and there very much is a history of putting women last and not valuing their time, so arguments about the economic and environmental costs can be interpreted as requiring women to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. And on the other side, the squick argument can be seen as perpetuating the notion that ladies of childbearing age are shameful and dirty and gross 20% of the time.

So really, we all have more choices now, and better materials and designs to choose from, and we all get to pick what we shove up in and around our hoo-has and nobody is bad or wrong for that.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-24-2008), livius drusus (11-23-2008), Shelli (11-24-2008), vremya (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemgirl View Post
Actually I had wanted to try the Diva Cup too but I had heard mixed reviews on it.
I think that's really because it works for some people and not for others.

It took me a few days to get used to mine and figure out how to maneuver it and all, but once I figured it out, I like it much better in every single way I can think of. Anyway, I think it's worth the gamble, because the payoff is pretty big if it does work out for you. I got mine for something like $17 online, so probably 20ish with shipping.

Also, I double-dog dare you to try it, so now you either try it or you're going to have to leave the board in shame, and come back under a new username and never talk about llamas again, so as to avoid detection. HA!
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-24-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 PM

Absolutely Lisarea. Women do have choices now, and I fully support their right to exercise them. Obviously I do think that cloth pads are superior, for me.
When I talk about the benefits of them, I am referring to myself, personally. Other people have different needs/comforts/values etc.
I do get prickly when others attempt to imply that what I am doing is wrong for me and would never castigate another woman for her choices in relation to her menstrual cycle. I offer information based on my experiences, but what others choose to do with that info is none of my concern.

As for the diva/lunar cups, I am reluctant to try one. They are fairly expensive for something that you can't really flog off on eBay if it doesn't work for you. :giggle: I have heard mixed reviews, but I think I'll stick with my cloth pads.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I'm glad I don't bleed out my penis every month.

Seems like a hassle.
Thanks, from:
Shelli (11-24-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 PM
silky...

Hard to get a tampon in there too.
Adam (11-25-2008), curses (11-26-2008), JoeP (11-24-2008), Shelli (11-24-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Hard to get a tampon in there too.
Or an environmentally friendly reusable catheter.
Thanks, from:
Adam (11-25-2008), Legs (11-23-2008), Shelli (11-24-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 PM
ninja mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Also, I double-dog dare you to try it, so now you either try it or you're going to have to leave the board in shame, and come back under a new username and never talk about llamas again, so as to avoid detection. HA!
I suppose I have no choice now :llamaglomp:

Don't make me break out my ninja powers..

:llamaninja:
Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Vaginally-privileged sociopathic cultist

OMG, Count, more pics of cute blonde toddler plzkthx. :squee:

Also, I loved my DivaCup, until I lost it somewhere in the house. :sadcheer:
Count (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 AM
silky...

check the dishwasher.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Smiliedome