Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuss Apollo View Post
Blablabla! Bla! Bla, bla bla!
Sounds like you need a new SatNav, Bop!
:wink:
Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: Censorship by mob rule

I have tried to treat you with respect and engage you in conversation in good faith, without resorting to name calling or insulting insinuations. You are, apparently, unwilling or unable to reciprocate. That being the case all I have left to say to you is good night and good-bye Mick.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

I thank you for not resorting to name-calling, insults and other webrat tactics, but I'm afraid I disagree on the issues of respect and good faith, Angakuk.

Asking me to justify what you claim not to doubt is at best time-wasting and at worst disingenuous. You've accused me of deception and you've dismissed my concerns as delusional. In one thread you likened me to a dry cow. I have not felt that you were being really open and honest with me for some time, though I grant that you are skilled at maintaining the appearance of kindness and charity.

I have found you increasingly pretentious and condescending and your interjections in my discussions with others have become unconstructive in a seemingly quite calculated way. You have sometimes appeared to me to be out of your depth yet willing to try almost any trick to disguise it. I'm sorry your competitiveness has finally overcome your co-operative spirit, but I haven't enjoyed our debates for some time and I shan't miss them.

Bye Bye

Mick
Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
THIS IS REALLY ADVANCED ENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
I have found you increasingly pretentious
Give a guy a break. It takes most normal people a bit of time to crank up to your level of pretentious twaddle. You can't blame Angakuk for not having the talent for it that you have.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 01-02-2008, 03:21 PM

:wave: Remember when you had a positive contribution to add to the forum, Sock?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Struggling to stay sober....

Here's my contribution to the forum,

Six Egg Pound Cake
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 53 members Yields: 12 servings

"The best pound cake ever. Rises very high."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups butter
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups white sugar 3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. Grease and flour a tube or Bundt pan. Do not preheat oven.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well each time. add vanilla.
4. Add flour mixture alternately with milk. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into tube or Bundt pan.
5. Place cake into cold oven, set the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for 60 to 90 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
6. Top with confectioners sugar or glaze.
But (01-09-2008), Corona688 (01-14-2008), Naru (01-02-2008), Watser? (01-09-2008)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 AM

Mick's link ironically makes reference to Hugo's board, from whence Mick was given the bum's rush. Ironic, because Mick is complaining about this board, where nobody has ever been censored, and it's damn nigh impossible to be banned from.
I guess from his odd use of the term 'ironic' that Mr D is a Alanis Morissette fan.
"There's nothing ironic about being stuck in a traffic jam when you're late for something. Unless you're a town planner. If you were a town planner and you were on your way to a seminar of town planners at which you were giving a talk on how you solved the problem of traffic congestion in your area, couldn't get to it because you were stuck in a traffic jam, that'd be well ironic."
"Rain on your wedding day is ironic only if marrying a weatherman and he set the date."
"A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break, that's inconsiderate office management. A no-smoking sign in a cigarette factory - irony."
Ed Byrne
I am not complaining about this board. I am criticising some of the behaviour here. Don't tell me that isn't allowed?

Mick
Old 01-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Strabismic Ungulate

Quote:
Mick's link ironically makes reference to Hugo's board, from whence Mick was given the bum's rush. Ironic, because Mick is complaining about this board, where nobody has ever been censored, and it's damn nigh impossible to be banned from.
I guess from his odd use of the term 'ironic' that Mr D is a Alanis Morissette fan.
"There's nothing ironic about being stuck in a traffic jam when you're late for something. Unless you're a town planner. If you were a town planner and you were on your way to a seminar of town planners at which you were giving a talk on how you solved the problem of traffic congestion in your area, couldn't get to it because you were stuck in a traffic jam, that'd be well ironic."
"Rain on your wedding day is ironic only if marrying a weatherman and he set the date."
"A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break, that's inconsiderate office management. A no-smoking sign in a cigarette factory - irony."
Ed Byrne
I am not complaining about this board. I am criticising some of the behaviour here. Don't tell me that isn't allowed?

Mick
Did he say it wasn't allowed? You'd think, given that you only quoted one of his sentences, that you could read it and see that he didn't say that.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I have no idea what the topic is.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
THIS IS REALLY ADVANCED ENGLISH

Quote:
:wave: Remember when you had a positive contribution to add to the forum, Sock?

I remember plenty, actually. Just nothing you would be interested in, since none of them were about you.

What's pathetic is that you seem to think you've contributed anything worthwhile here. Now that's something to give a :sadcheer: about.

:sockpuppet:...........
Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

I think mickthinks has contributed an amazing amount of humor to this forum. Sadly, only on one occasion was it purposeful.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM

This is Naruto's idea of humour...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto View Post
mick: blah blah blah random shit no one cares about
[from here]
(don't click on that)

Last edited by mickthinks; 01-13-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:46 PM

Hello wei yau

This question got buried in the pile, but I think it's still worth addressing, not least because it puts the discussion back on track.

How does one distinguish the actions of a mob from the actions of a group of individuals who happen to share the same opinion? A group of people become a mob, I think, when each of them recognises the political opportunity that the consensus of disapproval gives them to depart from the common standard of acceptable behaviour and to behave badly. I don't think it is necessary even to share an opinion. All that is needed is a desire to join in the unpleasantness.

The classic lynch mob illustrates the point perfectly. The outcast gets strung up by people who should, and, in most cases, do know better, but whose personal moral compass is switched off when they join the group.

Of course, I have the luxury of this thinking because I've not faced what I would consider to be censorship by mob rule. That's an interesting observation. Would you mind me asking what you think you do differently that might explain why you have escaped mob censure?

Mick
Old 01-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

Quote:
This is Naruto's idea of humour...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto View Post
mick: blah blah blah random shit no one cares about
[from here]
(don't click on that)
This is my idea of humor:

Quote:
I'm glad it went well too, Ang. I think you can be proud of the way you handled the whole issue and the positive outcome for all. I hope you'll forgive me if I take the opportunity your story provides to make a point of my own.

The experience of meeting him was beneficial to us, particularly for my wife. As she commented afterward, actually meeting him and his parents gave her a sense of closure to the whole experience.
Would you or your wife have been able to articulate what would constitute a resolution of the issue? How would you have felt if the boy and his parents had said "we are not really concerned with how difficult it might be for you to describe closure, only that you describe it"? What if they had said "you are the only ones who think there is any need for closure here" or had simply refused to meet with you on the grounds that they preferred to take their pail and stool and move on to the next cow?

Mick
Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 PM

:bump:

How does one distinguish the actions of a mob from the actions of a group of individuals who happen to share the same opinion? A group of people become a mob, I think, when each of them recognises the political opportunity that the consensus of disapproval gives them to depart from the common standard of acceptable behaviour and to behave badly. I don't think it is necessary even to share an opinion. All that is needed is a desire to join in the unpleasantness.

The classic lynch mob illustrates the point perfectly. The outcast gets strung up by people who should, and, in most cases, do know better, but whose personal moral compass is switched off when they join the group.

Mick
Of course, I have the luxury of this thinking because I've not faced what I would consider to be censorship by mob rule. wei yau, that's an interesting observation. Would you mind me asking what you think you do differently that might explain why you have escaped mob censure?

Last edited by mickthinks; 01-21-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:32 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

What kind of retard needs a whole week to write up a piss poor post like that?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Angakuk said:

If the majority can make you believe lies about anyone, then you are not doing your own thinking and there ain't much hope for you anyway. In which case, any opinion you might form about the "odd man out" is pretty worthless anyway.

These are all good reasons for not supporting mob behaviour, but Angakuk hasn't addressed the problem caused by those that do join in and support. One of the biggest problems is when the mob smothers the issue of justice. It is too late after you've allowed someone to be driven away, to admit that you never really believed the negative things that were said about them.

Angakuk suggests elsewhere that for mob bullshit not to triumph, it is sufficient for responsible :ff:ers to stand by and do nothing. Go figure!

Mick

Last edited by mickthinks; 01-29-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Pistachio nut

Quote:
Ed Byrne

Mick
Its gotta be some species of irony that you're rhetorically asking if criticising behaviour isn't allowed in the same breath that you criticise the use of the term "ironic" in a post that points out that there is virtually no censorship here and at the same time points out that you were censored on a forum you formerly posted on... on a thread titled "censorship by mob rule" :chin:
Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Thanks Farren

Its gotta be some species of irony that you're rhetorically asking if criticising behaviour isn't allowed in the same breath that you criticise the use of the term "ironic" in a post that points out that there is virtually no censorship here and at the same time points out that you were censored on a forum you formerly posted on... on a thread titled "censorship by mob rule"

Yes, the species is Ironicum Morissettea. It's the kind of irony that people who don't understand full irony have to make do with.

My rhetorical question is a little ironic, because (as the irony-challenged Naruto points out) no one seriously believes that criticism of behaviour shouldn't be allowed here. However, my criticism of some behaviour has been used as a justification for the kind of mobbery that can suppress ideas without actually censoring them. I don't see any irony in that.

Mick
Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

I'm irony challenged! :dopey:
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Pistachio nut

You need more irony in your diet. No wonder you're looking so pale. I recommend eating lots of spinach, but only if you're allergic to it.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

I'm not pale! I have a healthy glow from turning up my monitor's brightness.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Done

Naruto,

I have a great recipe that will make irony Spinachzia ignoramii more palatable. PM me for it!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Struggling to stay sober....

P-dub...just post it here...Why don't yah?

That's all that Mickthinks threads about himself are good for anyways....posting recipes in....LOL

Well, that and the occasional music lyrics as Chuck has shown! lol
Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Strabismic Ungulate

Seeing recipes in mick's threads has always made me laugh.

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Atrium