Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences

Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Clutchenheimer

Default Re: This Just in! Vaccines STILL Do Not Cause Autism

Who are you going to believe: Jenny McCarthy, or some crazy old statistic?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Well, I did enjoy her oeuvre on Singled Out. :chin:
Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I noticed last time I cut my finger that when you go to get a tetnus booster, they do the whole TDap/ Dapt vaccine now, instead of just the single tet. Most adults don't get boosters either.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 AM

From QuackWatch weekly report:

Quote:
Vaccine critic "Dr. Bob" Sears blasted again.

Rahul K. Parikh, M.D., has looked closely the irresponsible advice given by "Dr. Bob" Sears in his book, The Vaccine Book." The book's centerpiece is "Dr. Bob's Alternative Schedule," which spreads vaccines over 21 visits instead of the standard 13. Parikh notes that Sears repeatedly uses "soft science, circular logic, rumors, and outright falsehoods" and that his book is "nothing more than an anti-vaccine book blanketed in a soft, sympathetic and homespun style." [Parikh RK. Face-off with the bestselling vaccine guru.
Salon.com, Oct 13, 2010] Face-off with the bestselling vaccine guru - Autism - Salon.com

Last year, in a stinging editorial, Paul Offit, M.D. and a colleague pointed out that Sears's schedule is dangerous because it significantly increases the time during which children are susceptible to vaccine-preventable diseases. [Offit P, Moser CA. The problem with Dr Bob's alternative vaccine schedule. Pediatrics, Jan 2009] http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/123/1/e164
--J.D.
Thanks, from:
The Man (10-21-2010)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM

The CONSPIRACY continues!!!

Quote:
Journal: Study Linking Vaccine to Autism was Fraud

LONDON – The first study to link a childhood vaccine to autism was based on doctored information about the children involved, according to a new report on the widely discredited research.

The conclusions of the 1998 paper by Andrew Wakefield and colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was published. Still, the suggestion the MMR shot was connected to autism spooked parents worldwide and immunization rates for measles, mumps and rubella have never fully recovered.

A new examination found, by comparing the reported diagnoses in the paper to hospital records, that Wakefield and colleagues altered facts about patients in their study.

The analysis, by British journalist Brian Deer, found that despite the claim in Wakefield's paper that the 12 children studied were normal until they had the MMR shot, five had previously documented developmental problems. Deer also found that all the cases were somehow misrepresented when he compared data from medical records and the children's parents.

Wakefield could not be reached for comment despite repeated calls and requests to the publisher of his recent book, which claims there is a connection between vaccines and autism that has been ignored by the medical establishment. Wakefield now lives in the U.S. where he enjoys a vocal following including celebrity supporters like Jenny McCarthy.

Deer's article was paid for by the Sunday Times of London and Britain's Channel 4 television network. It was published online Thursday in the medical journal, BMJ. In an accompanying editorial, BMJ editor Fiona Godlee and colleagues called Wakefield's study "an elaborate fraud." They said Wakefield's work in other journals should be examined to see if it should be retracted.

Last May, Wakefield was stripped of his right to practice medicine in Britain. Many other published studies have shown no connection between the MMR vaccination and autism.

But measles has surged since Wakefield's paper was published and there are sporadic outbreaks in Europe and the U.S. In 2008, measles was deemed endemic in England and Wales.

Linkypoo
--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Adam (01-10-2011), X-SOLDIER (01-07-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post

The comments really, really make me want to set myself on fire.
Thanks, from:
X-SOLDIER (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Harbinger Of Great Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
The comments really, really make me want to set myself on fire.
I couldn't word my feelings about the Comments on this article any better. Especially ones like the one I quoted below, and the fact that people are actually "Thumbs Up-ing" them:

:facepalm:

X :cool:
Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Some days it's not worth chewing through the straps.

This isn't a nice thought, but maybe the children of these idiots will die off from disease before they can reproduce. Evolution has to be good for something.

Note: No, I don't want any children to die. The fact that some will die because mom and dad are idiots is sickening. Even worse... They're endangering other people's children.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 AM

And to take it seriously for a moment: they do not just harm their children they harm others by reducing the "herd immunity."

Nice to see the Bush-Nazi conspiracy theories are still about! My absolute favorite 9/11 theory--other than "HARTERSAYIHAVECLAIM" invisible UFO theory--sorry to make you all cry--was the following:

Anyways, when people ask me "what harm" does believing in stupidity cause, I point to Obama [Stop that.--Ed.] this sort of stuff.

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
fragment (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 AM
mesospheric bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
Anyways, when people ask me "what harm" does believing in stupidity cause, I point to Obama [Stop that.--Ed.] this sort of stuff.
It was this that really convinced me of the incredible harm from such stupidity (:tealdeer: warning).
Doctor X (01-07-2011), mickthinks (01-07-2011), Stephen Maturin (01-08-2011), vremya (01-16-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 AM

Big thanks on that! Just picked up the book to add to my pile!

--J.D.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Stephen Barret, M.D. of QuackWatch offers further information:

Quote:
The BMJ plans to publish three articles by Brian Deer, the investigative reporter who uncovered Wakefield's misconduct. In an accompanying blog, Deer summarized his findings this way:

"The British Medical Journal has begun a series that will bare the MMR scandal in detail never published before. Drawing on interviews, documents, and properly obtained data collected during seven years of inquiries, we show how one man, former gastroenterology researcher Andrew Wakefield, was able to manufacture the appearance of a purported medical syndrome, whilst not only in receipt of large sums of money, but also scheming businesses that promised him more. His was a fraud, moreover, of more than academic vanity. It unleashed fear, parental guilt, costly government intervention, and outbreaks of infectious disease." [Deer B. Piltdown medicine: The missing link between MMR and autism. BMJ Group Blogs, Jan 6, 2011] BMJ Group blogs: BMJ » Blog Archive » Brian Deer: Piltdown medicine: The missing link between MMR and autism

The first of Deer's three articles details how he examined the medical records and interviewed the parents of the 12 children used in Wakefield's study and found that all of the cases reported in the 1998 Lancet paper were misrepresented. [Deer B. How the case against the MMR vaccine was fixed. BMJ 342:c5347, 2011] How the case against the MMR vaccine was fixed -- Deer 342 -- bmj.com

In an accompanying editorial, three of the BMJ's top editors wrote:

"The Lancet paper has of course been retracted, but for far narrower misconduct than is now apparent. The retraction statement cites the GMC's findings that the patients were not consecutively referred and the study did not have ethical approval, leaving the door open for those who want to continue to believe that the science, flawed though it always was, still stands. We hope that declaring the paper a fraud will close that door for good." [Godlee F and others. Wakefield's article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent: Clear evidence of falsification should now close the door on this damaging vaccine scare. BMJ 342:c7452, 2011] Wakefield’s article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent -- Godlee et al. 342 -- bmj.com
--J.D.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM
A3 - authentic anarchist asshole

I have a question: Why pick on autism??
Old 01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Who is it addressed to, Sam? I don't think anyone at :ff: is picking on Autism.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Face palm, anyone?

Mick,
I did not mean for you or anybody to take my question personally. Sorry.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Fishy mokey

Mick takes every single remark that was ever made in the history of the universe personally.

So don't take it personally :blank:
1Samuel8 (01-10-2011), Angakuk (01-12-2011), Crumb (01-10-2011), Qingdai (01-11-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Strabismic Ungulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
So don't take it personally :blank:
I TAKE THAT PERSONALLY
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Tellifying

How else am I supposed to take it, as a group?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Just take it as a man and shut the fuck up.
Naru (01-10-2011), Stormlight (01-14-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Mr. Condescending Dick Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Samuel8 View Post
I did not mean for you or anybody to take my question personally. Sorry.
LOL You misunderstand, Sam. Who is it that you think has been picking on autism?

Last edited by mickthinks; 01-10-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watser? View Post
Mick takes every single remark that was ever made in the history of the universe personally.
I cannot imagine how he could take:

Quote:
. . . substituting references online to the retracted article with a general editorial statement reading:

mickthinks is a badger-feltching, self-absorbed, princess-git with questionable loyalties to Manchester.
personally. :blank:

--J.D.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Quality Contributor

Hurr Durr Derp
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM

At the gym I saw her interview on Joy Bazoar [Stop that!--Ed.]. Like any fundi, she will not let facts get in the way of her faith:

Quote:
Why does one journalist's accusations against Dr. Wakefield now mean the vaccine-autism debate is over?"
Because you have not read the articles, Jenny, and never bothered to get an actual education.

Quote:
"I know children regress after vaccination because it happened to my own son," . . .
Tragic. However, he also regressed after eating, crapping, being exposed to sunlight, et cetera. Review how measles has now become endemic thanks to this fraud. Sorry, Jenny, but your son is not more important than other children: your need to "blame something"--though understandable and very human--harms other people's children.

Quote:
she stated. "Why aren't there any tests out there on the safety of how vaccines are administered in the real world, six at a time?
There is this thing, Jenny, called the internet? . . .

Quote:
Why have only two of the 36 shots our kids receive been looked at for their relationship to autism?"
Because there is no connection? Why has not Barney the Dinosaur or Sponge-Bob Square pants been "looked at" for their relationship to autism?

--J.D.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:13 AM

["Poof!"--Ed.]

Last edited by Doctor X; 01-16-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 AM

May have to re-think my hatred of all things M$ [He uses all of their products.--Ed.] Oh hush! And they are Mac versions which make them good, of course.

From a poster on ANOTHER FORUM [Boo. Hiss.--Ed.]:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxagoras
Bill Gates interview (His foundation is spending $10 billion on vaccines, btw.)

Quote:
Gates: Well, Dr. Wakefield has been shown to have used absolutely fraudulent data. He had a financial interest in some lawsuits, he created a fake paper, the journal allowed it to run. All the other studies were done, showed no connection whatsoever again and again and again. So it's an absolute lie that has killed thousands of kids. Because the mothers who heard that lie, many of them didn't have their kids take either pertussis or measles vaccine, and their children are dead today. And so the people who go and engage in those anti-vaccine efforts -- you know, they, they kill children. It's a very sad thing, because these vaccines are important.
Take that Jenny McCarthy and stick it where . . . well . . . actually probably Sun does shine in her. . . .

--J.D.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > The Sciences