Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Yes, the light will be at the film instantly... I have always maintained this. If I wasn't clear, that's another story...
No, you didn't always maintain that. You explicitly denied it when you said "I did not say that the photons would be at the film or retina on Earth because there are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example." There is no lack of clarity there, so you were either lying or confused about your own statements.

Quote:
Yes, the light will be at the film instantly, BUT THE LIGHT DOES NOT HAVE TO REACH EARTH FOR THIS TO OCCUR.
How can light be there before it has had time to get there?
Well then I misled you inadvertently. That does not make me a liar Spacemonkey. You are working overtime to try to ruin my credibility. It won't work.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
the very first premise is based on the assumption that light, as it travels through space/time, brings the image or nonabsorbed photons to the eye.
That is not anybody's premise at all, let alone first premise.

Do you like looking like an idiot? If so, carry on with your stupid strawman, if not, then stop using it.

Science states that light travels through space-time. Full stop. Your additions of images being brought or carried is moronic.
Of course has everything to do with the first premise. You won't admit it, but the very fact that you discuss traveling photons (which you continue to reason from) when I'm telling you that this has nothing whatsoever to do with this account, makes this entire discussion fruitless. You are trying very hard to play games with the words "light" and "nonabsorbed photons" as if they are synonymous. It doesn't work because light and nonabsorbed photons have a specific meaning and you can't just handwave it away by saying light is light. The afferent model DOES NOT describe reality regardless of how real it looks to you. And who are you anyway LadyShea that you have the last word? You quickly jumped to the conclusion that my father's observation as to why man's will is not free was an assertion on a subject that you never delved into to any great degree. Now you are the expert? :crazy: You don't have the slightest clue as to whether he was right or not.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri View Post
Hell, to keep it more comparable to your example; What if the sun is suddenly turned off? In your efferent vision model would we see the sun appear to vanish the instant it was turned off yet still continue to have light for 8.5min? If we looked up would we just see a bright but empty sky (I don't mean litterally empty, I assume there would still be clouds, birds, planes, ect... the moon and stars would still be visible from the dark side of the earth... the moon for few minutes at least)
According to science, light would continue until it petered out. This really has no bearing on the function of light in regard to matter. I think people are getting confused because of this.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Laugh Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
According to science, light would continue until it petered out.
:lol:

No, that is not what science says.

Quote:
I think people are getting confused because of this.
The only person who has ever been confused in this thread is you.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Phallic Philanthropist

Quote:
According to science, light would continue until it petered out. This really has no bearing on the function of light in regard to matter. I think people are getting confused because of this.
However, I asked if you would still be able to see the source of the light, the sun. Or would the light not have a visible source?

It seems like if you could see the sun "turn on" without regard to light being at the observer, then you wouldn't be able to see the sun anymore if it were "turned off", regardless of light being at the observer.
Angakuk (06-26-2014), LadyShea (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
According to science, light would continue until it petered out.
:lol:

No, that is not what science says.

Quote:
I think people are getting confused because of this.
The only person who has ever been confused in this thread is you.
David, you have no credibility at all. All people see if your defensiveness. If anyone has ruined it for themselves, it is you.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:27 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Light has properties, peacegirl, and traveling away from the source is one of them. Light is required to be on the surface of camera film to take a photograph. If you cannot explain how that happens in your account, exactly how traveling light lands on camera film before traveling light arrives on Earth, specifically in Lessans Sun on at noon scenario, then your model fails.

It astounds me how you'd rather appear galactically stupid then attempt to to find a feasible solution to the glaring problem with your so called model...which isn't even Lessans model at all.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hell, to keep it more comparable to your example; What if the sun is suddenly turned off? In your efferent vision model would we see the sun appear to vanish the instant it was turned off yet still continue to have light for 8.5min? If we looked up would we just see a bright but empty sky (I don't mean litterally empty, I assume there would still be clouds, birds, planes, ect... the moon and stars would still be visible from the dark side of the earth... the moon for few minutes at least)
No, light doesn't "peter out" and science doesn't say anything of the sort. You have zero idea what the properties of light even are, yet you claim to not be refuting them!

Once again, slowly. Light travels. If it is light it is traveling.
Light doesn't stop traveling unless it comes into contact with matter that absorbs it. At that point it ceases being light.
If the matter does not absorb it, it will either be reflected or transmitted, and it will continue traveling.

No petering out anywhere.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-26-2014), thedoc (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
However, I asked if you would still be able to see the source of the light, the sun. Or would the light not have a visible source?

It seems like if you could see the sun "turn on" without regard to light being at the observer, then you wouldn't be able to see the sun anymore if it were "turned off", regardless of light being at the observer.
That would be true. We may still get light, but we would not be able to get an image if the object was no longer there. People are so entrenched with the idea that we would be able to see the past (e.g., Columbus discovering America) that is is hard to overcome this resistance.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, light doesn't "peter out" and science doesn't say anything of the sort. You have zero idea what the properties of light even are!
I do know what the properties of light are, and I am refuting them correctly. You're right, I shouldn't have said "petered out".

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-26-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the light will be at the film instantly... I have always maintained this. If I wasn't clear, that's another story...
No, you didn't always maintain that. You explicitly denied it when you said "I did not say that the photons would be at the film or retina on Earth because there are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example." There is no lack of clarity there, so you were either lying or confused about your own statements.

Quote:
Yes, the light will be at the film instantly, BUT THE LIGHT DOES NOT HAVE TO REACH EARTH FOR THIS TO OCCUR.
Well then I misled you inadvertently. That does not make me a liar Spacemonkey. You are working overtime to try to ruin my credibility. It won't work.
Inadvertently? You typed these words

"I did not say that the photons would be at the film or retina on Earth because there are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example."

How is that inadvertent?
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (06-26-2014), thedoc (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:

That would be true. We may still get light, but we would not be able to get an image if the object was no longer there.
Yes, we would. The image is in the brain, not on "wings of light," as Lessans said, and the Hubble telescope routinely receives light from galaxies as they were billions of years in the past, which means that we see them now, as they were billions of years ago. These galaxies are no longer present at those locations, and many of them no longer even exist at all. The ones that do exist are in a totally different location, and have physically changed considerably.

That's just how things really are, and all your caterwauling won't change reality one bit.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-26-2014), thedoc (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

"I did not say that the photons would be at the film or retina on Earth because there are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example."

How is that inadvertent?
Yes I typed this. There are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example, but there is an interaction between the film and the object in the efferent model. You have disregarded the basis for this claim entirely, and yet you call me a liar. This is really getting disturbing. :(

Old 06-26-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the very first premise is based on the assumption that light, as it travels through space/time, brings the image or nonabsorbed photons to the eye.
That is not anybody's premise at all, let alone first premise.

Do you like looking like an idiot? If so, carry on with your stupid strawman, if not, then stop using it.

Science states that light travels through space-time. Full stop. Your additions of images being brought or carried is moronic.
Of course has everything to do with the first premise. You won't admit it, but the very fact that you discuss traveling photons (which you continue to reason from) when I'm telling you that this has nothing whatsoever to do with this account, makes this entire discussion fruitless.
Your account requires light photons because photography requires light photons. You must explain them in your account, specifically how they come to be at locations, or your account is nonsense.

Quote:
You are trying very hard to play games with the words "light" and "nonabsorbed photons" as if they are synonymous.
They are synonymous. Light photons are light. It doesn't matter if they've been emitted, reflected, or transmitted or what their frequency or wavelength is, they are light and they are traveling. The properties of light don't change due to striking matter without being absorbed...they never change. They are immutable.

Quote:
It doesn't work because light and nonabsorbed photons have a specific meaning and you can't just handwave it away by saying light is light.
No, the term nonabsorbed photons doesn't have a separate, specific meaning except to you. Light is light. The properties of light don't change due to striking matter without being absorbed...they never change. They are immutable.
Thanks, from:
thedoc (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

How is that inadvertent?
Yes I typed this. There are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example,
You stated over and over that light photons are at the camera film (which is on Earth) at noon in Lessans scenario, then you suddenly flip-flopped and said no, you never said that. How is that inadvertent and how is that not a lie?

Quote:
but there is an interaction between the film and the object in the efferent model.
There cannot be a physical interaction between light photons and camera film with light photons being physically located inside the camera, physically on the film or sensor. You have to explain how they get there and where they come from, or you are talking about magic

Last edited by LadyShea; 06-26-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-26-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (06-27-2014), Spacemonkey (06-26-2014), thedoc (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
People are so entrenched with the idea that we would be able to see the past (e.g., Columbus discovering America) that is is hard to overcome this resistance.
LOL, Lessans made that up. Nobody anywhere, except Lessans, ever talked about being able to see Columbus discovering America.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Phallic Philanthropist

Quote:
There are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example, but there is an interaction between the film and the object in the efferent model. :(
Please explain this interaction. How does it work?
Angakuk (06-26-2014), LadyShea (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No, light doesn't "peter out" and science doesn't say anything of the sort. You have zero idea what the properties of light even are!
LadyShea, you are way too smug for me. You need to make an attitude adjustment or we can't communicate.
LOL, I don't need to do anything. You can ignore me, engage me, leave, or whatever. If you want me to change my attitude towards you though, you should start answering questions and quit being a weaselly, dishonest, drama queen.

Quote:
You have done this all along before you even knew whether Lessans was right or not.
I have done what, challenged you to back your shit up with evidence and valid arguments? That is exactly what I flat out told you I would do on day 1.

Anyway, back to the point, Weasel. Where the hell did you get the idea that "science" says light peters out, when you have been specifically told that is not the case many times over many years? Is it in a science book? Did you talk to a scientist outside of :ff:? Maybe it was in Lessans completely imaginary encyclopedia that he says talked about seeing Columbus discovering America from the vicinity of Rigel?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Light has properties, peacegirl, and traveling away from the source is one of them. Light is required to be on the surface of camera film to take a photograph. If you cannot explain how that happens in your account, exactly how traveling light lands on camera film before traveling light arrives on Earth, specifically in Lessans Sun on at noon scenario, then your model fails.

It astounds me how you'd rather appear galactically stupid then attempt to to find a feasible solution to the glaring problem with your so called model...which isn't even Lessans model at all.
LadyShea, you are not going to accuse Lessans of being wrong just because you are incapable of understanding why the requirements of this model change the way we see, and the function of light, and why there is still an interaction between light and the sensor even though the light hasn't reached Earth first. I understand why, at first glance, you would ask how this can be, but you haven't been able to move past this logic in order to delve deeper. He gave the example of the Sun being turned on because he wanted to make sure people understood that time and distance are not factors, and why light alone, without the object, does not have the necessary information that can be decoded. Please don't tell me that this isn't his model. He did not believe in magic. Your accusation is unfair and unwarranted.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-26-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM

Yes, peacegirl, I am saying you are wrong because you can't explain your model in such a way that it fits with observed reality. If it requires a change in the properties of light and laws of physics, then it is not compatible with this reality.

Light is required to be on the surface of camera film to take a photograph. If you cannot explain how that happens in your account, exactly how traveling light lands on camera film before traveling light arrives on Earth, specifically in Lessans Sun on at noon scenario, then your model fails.

Lessans never said a word about photography, so this is not his model at all, but yours.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-26-2014), Spacemonkey (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
LadyShea, you are way too smug for me. You need to make an attitude adjustment or we can't communicate. You have done this all along before you even knew whether Lessans was right or not. Trust me, you are not smarter than him and I don't appreciate that you are using your limited knowledge to assert that he is wrong when you don't have a friggin clue.
Nice dodge, you have totally avoided addressing LadyShes's post by spewing venom and hostility. An honest person would answer the criticism and make some effort to clarify what is being addressed, but you have simply tried to divert the thread by criticizing LadyShea. It clearly indicates that you haven't got a clue.
Angakuk (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
I said the light would be at the film instantly if we gaze at the object (the efferent model of sight), but this does not mean the light had to travel to Earth in order for this interaction to take place.
For any interaction to take place between light and film the two must be in the same place. Do you disagree with this?

If the film is on Earth then any interaction involving the film must take place on Earth, where the film is. Do you disagree with this?

If the film is on Earth and there is an interaction taking place between the film and light, then the light must also be on Earth. Do you disagree with this?
Cynthia of Syracuse (06-27-2014), LadyShea (06-26-2014), Spacemonkey (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I'm wracking my brain to figure out what I can do with a very very limited budget. I hope any money that comes in, I can get real scientists to study this work. This is my hope, which is for the benefit of everyone, not just me.
Now, that is a fine example of delusional thinking. Very fine indeed.

Quote:
David, you have no credibility at all. All people see if your defensiveness. If anyone has ruined it for themselves, it is you.
Who are these people and how do you what they see or don't see? Have you conducted a poll?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:

How is that inadvertent?
She said something that was true (i.e. " there are no photons on Earth in this hypothetical example"). I am sure that was inadvertent.
thedoc (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I gave you all my reasoning. I have tried to explain this account of vision. Maybe I failed to explain it clearly, but that has no bearing on its validity. The mechanism of afferent vision may sound logical, but if it's wrong, what good is it? You made up your mind that he was wrong early on which prevented you from looking at this with unbiased eyes. You have not taken the time to understand this model even when I have created examples to help you. Additionally, none of the empirical tests have proven conclusively that dogs are able recognize their masters through sight alone, even though you say they have.

Quote:
LadyShea, you are way too smug for me. You need to make an attitude adjustment or we can't communicate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
LOL, I don't need to do anything. You can ignore me, engage me, leave, or whatever. If you want me to change my attitude towards you though, you should start answering questions and quit being a weaselly, dishonest, drama queen.
I'm not being a drama queen. I have answered as dispassionately and directly as I can, so stop making these false accusations. You come off like you own this forum. Your attitude speaks volumes. It tells me that you, with the support of your cronies, are more interested in being right than being correct.

Quote:
You have done this all along before you even knew whether Lessans was right or not.
Quote:
I have done what, challenged you to back your shit up with evidence and valid arguments? That is exactly what I flat out told you I would do on day 1.
But your accusations are false; they are based on a limited understanding. Instead of using your own abilities to judge whether this knowledge is accurate, you should leave room for the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there is something to this even though you don't yet grasp how it's possible. That's what scientists do.

Quote:
Anyway, back to the point, Weasel. Where the hell did you get the idea that "science" says light peters out, when you have been specifically told that is not the case many times over many years? Is it in a science book? Did you talk to a scientist outside of :ff:? Maybe it was in Lessans completely imaginary encyclopedia that he says talked about seeing Columbus discovering America from the vicinity of Rigel?
If the object is too far away, we won't be able to see it because the light that reveals it will not have reached our eyes. Yes, light travels which I have never denied.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-26-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy