Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
If we could see the way that Peasegirl believes we do, then wouldn't we be able to look into a black hole and see something other than darkness?
Yes, that was brought up, that if -as she insisted at the time- we see "mass" (one of her earlier words of choice) rather than light we should be able to see a black hole. They are very massive and surrounded by stars and therefore should be illuminated, after all.

She weaseled out of that too.
What are you talking about LadyShea? Light does not illuminate something that it cannot due to its properties. I did not weasel out of anything. Light works the same way it always has.
Why can't it illuminate a black hole?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because light is impinging (he said nothing, other than light), but no image or picture is impinging on the optic nerve.
:facepalm: nobody ever said anything about images or pictures impinging so what is this supposed to address, refute, illustrate or explain?

All optics says is that light strikes the retina. Light...not images, not pictures.
LadyShea, I refuse to discuss this with you because you are using semantics to argue your point. I already said that images or pictures are synonymous with nonabsorbed photons.
Synonyms, huh? Great, since "image/picture" is a synonym for "nonabsorbed photons" and "nonabsrobed photons" is a synonym for "light", we can rewrite your sentence thusly:

Because light is impinging (he said nothing, other than light), but no image or picture light is impinging on the optic nerve.

You just made your own sentence completely contradictory.
Quote:
So peacegirls synonyms: picture/image = nonabsorbed photons = light

Lessans sentence can be restated also

there is no picture light traveling from an object on the waves of light to impinge on our optic nerve.

Really? Want to try again peacegirl?
Quote:
Light is broken up into different wavelengths which allow us to differentiate what we are seeing.
Light travels and has a wavelength, yes.
Quote:
You are assuming that light bouncing off of objects travels and strikes the eye over long distances, giving us sight.
Reflected light travels. This is not an assumption, but a fact, based on the properties of light. Some light strikes matter, some of that matter may be our eyes, or plants, or buildings or whatever. Our vision evolved to take advantage of light.

Quote:
This is a logical conclusion.
This is an empirically observable and measurable fact

Quote:
Thusly, it is extremely important for me to distinguish one type of light from another.
There is no such distinction to be made. Light travels and light reflects. It doesn't matter what its wavelength is, if it hasn't been absorbed it is traveling.

Quote:
Full spectrum light is not made up of the same frequency/wavelength as a partial spectrum.
:lolwut:? After all this time you still don't understand do you? You made a big deal about how you understand this just like two weeks ago, and now you are back to this silliness?

Quote:
What we don't know is whether the nonabsorbed light is actually being reflected, as you presuppose, or is it revealing what exists in real time?
If light encounters matter that does not absorb or transmit it, it is reflected. Properties of light, remember you don't need to change them?
You are not even looking at this in terms of his observations, which had to do with the eyes, NOT LIGHT. Understanding light and its true function came as a result of his observations regarding vision, which is not completely understood. Why do you think it took someone outside of the field to make this discovery? Your faulty reasoning is blocking your understanding as it is with everyone here. This also shows me how difficult it will be to bring this knowledge to light, as people in the field are convinced that he was wrong. I made a decision to put the .pdf of the book online. The cost to access it will be less than a cup of coffee, so people will feel there will be nothing to lose. I will use some of this money to pay "real" scientists to investigate his discoveries. This will also help me to get unbiased professionals to review this work, even if I have to pay them. I believe this strategy will work in helping to spread this knowledge across the globe. :yup:
His observations didn't take the properties of light or laws of physics into account....so you are stuck with trying to make them fit into efferent vision. They don't fit. As soon as you try to talk about cameras your model falls completely apart.
No it doesn't fall apart, not even a little bit. You never understood, and still don't, why the eye and camera work the same way in this model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Which is more likely, that light has different properties than it is empirically known to have, or that Lessans didn't understand optics and therefore made a mistake?
He didn't change the properties of light LadyShea, that's just the point. How many times do I have to say this? Efferent vision only changes the function of light when it comes to what light does (it reveals the external world; it does not reflect it. :(). What it doesn't do is change technology. It doesn't change GPS systems. It doesn't change fiber optics. These technologies make use of light in amazing ways. But none of this negates efferent VISION, which shows me how little people have understood in 3 years.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-24-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I thought the box example would help you understand, but obviously it didn't.
The box example exhibited the same problem as all of your examples...how does light fill the space that the box encloses to become located at both ends?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If we could see the way that Peasegirl believes we do, then wouldn't we be able to look into a black hole and see something other than darkness?
Yes, that was brought up, that if -as she insisted at the time- we see "mass" (one of her earlier words of choice) rather than light we should be able to see a black hole. They are very massive and surrounded by stars and therefore should be illuminated, after all.

What are you talking about LadyShea? Light does not illuminate something that it cannot due to its properties. I did not weasel out of anything. Light works the same way it always has.
Because the black hole isn't emitting or reflecting any light LadyShea. What do you think I am, a moron? :glare::glare::glare:

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The box example exhibited the same problem as all of your examples...how does light fill the space that the box encloses to become located at both ends?
Take a guess.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Because the black hole isn't emitting or reflecting any light LadyShea. What do you think I am, a moron? :glare::glare::glare:
:) That wasn't your previous answer. Why is emission or reflection of light important if we don't see the light, but the actual object?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Take a guess.
It travels through the space, if we aren't changing any properties of light.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If light encounters matter that does not absorb or transmit it, it is reflected. Properties of light, remember you don't need to change them?
You are not even looking at this in terms of his observations, which had to do with the eyes, NOT LIGHT. Understanding light and its true function came as a result of his observations regarding vision, which is not completely understood. Why do you think it took someone outside of the field to make this discovery? Your faulty reasoning is blocking your understanding as it is with everyone here. This also shows me how difficult it will be to bring this knowledge to light, as people in the field are convinced that he was wrong. I made a decision to put the .pdf of the book online. The cost to access it will be less than a cup of coffee, so people will feel there will be nothing to lose. I will use some of this money to pay "real" scientists to investigate his discoveries. This will also help me to get unbiased professionals to review this work, even if I have to pay them. I believe this strategy will work in helping to spread this knowledge across the globe. :yup:
His observations didn't take the properties of light or laws of physics into account....so you are stuck with trying to make them fit into efferent vision. They don't fit. As soon as you try to talk about cameras your model falls completely apart.
No it doesn't fall apart, not even a little bit. You never understood, and still don't, why the eye and camera work the same way in this model.
I don't understand because you have been unable to explain it without changing the properties of light or violating the laws of physics :shrug:

Quote:
Quote:
Which is more likely, that light has different properties than it is empirically known to have, or that Lessans didn't understand optics and therefore made a mistake?
He didn't change the properties of light LadyShea, that's just the point.
If light can be at a location, such as inside a camera, without traveling to get there, then yes, that requires a change to the properties of light.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Give me a break Dragar. How many times have I said that this claim does not exclude light from striking the eye or sensor. You just don't understand how because your reasoning is misguided. Obviously, light, or nonabsorbed photons, are at the eye or sensor when we look at a distant object. There are certain requirements or we could not see the object, one being that the photons are at the eye which put us into optical range. I thought the box example would help you understand, but obviously it didn't.
And yet you still can't explain how a mirror works in your daft notion of vision!
LadyShea (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 PM

I wrote this post in January of 2013. Your box analogy still fails for the same reasons

Quote:
Your analogies also fail on this issue.

The "opposite sides of a coin" also represent two distinct locations, 1. one side 2. the other side. There are no conditions under which if some physical thing is put on one side of the coin will also simultaneously appear on the opposite side.

A "big box" represents an astronomical number of physical locations for something very tiny like a photon, all of which are separated by physical distance that must be traversed to get from one location to another.

Last edited by LadyShea; 06-25-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey

Did the light at the film inside the camera travel? [Yes or No]
Yes the light travels; it does not teleport, but DISTANCE is not a factor in this account, therefore TIME is not a factor. Every time you think about photons traveling to Earth, you are on the other side of the highway, so to speak.
Are you redefining the word travel? Put it in the Lessans/Peacegirl to English dictionary! Travel does not involve distance or time, now!
You are also majorly confused LadyShea. I will never win in here not because Lessans was wrong, but because you come from a position that is inherently incompatible.
I am not the one saying ridiculous and impossible things.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 PM
puzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
And yet you still can't explain how a mirror works in your daft notion of vision!
She also can't explain why we can't see through walls and other solid stuff.

You're in a dark room - no light is illuminating the walls so you can't see them. But outside the room all the conditions for efferent vision are met - there are trees, clouds and such - all well lit and within 'optical range'! So how does the Lessans' account explain the fact that we can't see those trees and clouds?

The scientific explanation says we can't see the trees because the photons bouncing off them are blocked from reaching our eyes by the walls. But peacegirl and Lessans say the photons don't have to reach our eyes so what's the explanation of why we can't see the trees? It should be enough that the trees are illuminated and within optical range, and then we should see them instantly.

I'd like to hear the 'efferent' account of how a wall stops us seeing things that are beyond the wall. And then I'd like to understand why a wall stops us seeing through it, but a sheet of glass doesn't.

Last edited by ceptimus; 06-25-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-25-2014), Cynthia of Syracuse (06-25-2014), Dragar (06-24-2014), Spacemonkey (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:44 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Most of the things you quote me on are not even true.
Of course. Because most of the things you say are not even true.
You are such a weasel.
I don't see how. You must be projecting again. If you want to see a world class weasel queen in action, just look into one of those mirrors you still can't explain:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What? I never said "though it needs that time to travel, it is at the earth instantly." That is not even close to what I said.
What part would you disagree with? That light takes time to travel? Or that it will be at the Earth instantly?
OMG, after all this time and this is where we have gotten? You understand nada Spacemonkey.
^ That's weaseling.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did the light at the film inside the camera travel? [Yes or No]
Yes the light travels; it does not teleport, but DISTANCE is not a factor in this account, therefore TIME is not a factor. Every time you think about photons traveling to Earth, you are on the other side of the highway, so to speak.
Are you redefining the word travel? Put it in the Lessans/Peacegirl to English dictionary! Travel does not involve distance or time, now!
You are also majorly confused LadyShea. I will never win in here not because Lessans was wrong, but because you come from a position that is inherently incompatible.
^ Also weaseling.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Somehow you got this whole thing wrong. I never said reflected light does nothing. I said the nonabsorbed photons do not travel ad infinitum across space/time because the light disperses, so what we get is white light.
Sorry, I meant the angle of reflection.
That makes even less sense!
No it doesn't.
Then restate what you meant to say, using angle of reflection instead of dispersion. Show how it could possibly make an ounce of sense.

Quote:
The only reason I answered that way is because I could feel the disrespect coming from Dragar when he used the term "daft".
Then complain about the word 'daft' instead of about being told what you have or haven't read. Complaining about the latter makes you an enormous hypocrite.

Quote:
You must like this bickering. I don't. :fuming:
Complaining about being treated disrespectfully while doing that yourself to us also makes you an enormous hypocrite.

Quote:
I'm not going over this again.
Weasel. You stated that the image is seen only when we're gazing at the object. That is obviously false, for you are not gazing at the object at all when gazing into a mirror.
Bump.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When looking into a mirror, the photons are at your eye because they have traveled from the object to the mirror, then bounced off the mirror and traveled into your eye. Photons from a newly ignited Sun cannot possibly be at your eye or camera film until 8.5min after the Sun has ignited, because that is how long it takes them to travel from the Sun to the eye or camera.
That is how it appears Spacemonkey. Appearances can be misleading.
How might any of what I just said be misleading? Do you have any alternative account for how reflected non-absorbed photons from an object get to your eye when looking in a mirror? Do you have any alternative explanation for how photons from the Sun could get to a camera film on Earth, other than traveling there and taking 8min to do so?

Quote:
I never said light doesn't travel...
Yes, you agreed the photons at the camera film traveled there. Unfortunately that makes real-time photography of the newly ignited Sun completely impossible, as the photons can't get there until 8min later.

Quote:
...and I never said that light doesn't get reflected. What I am saying is that the image (or the nonabsorbed photons) is not reflected...
Image =/= non-absorbed photons. No-one is saying any image is reflected. What we are saying is that the non-absorbed photons are reflected, and you have agreed with this part.
Bump.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Photons travel Spacemonkey, and when they reach Earth we can take photographs of everything on Earth.
And photons from the newly ignited Sun cannot reach Earth until 8min after the Sun is ignited, making real-time photography impossible. So if vision works the same way, then real-time vision is not possible either.

Quote:
But this doesn't answer the larger question as to why we would be able to see the Sun instantly if it was just turned on.
It shows quite conclusively that you cannot see the newly ignited Sun instantly. The eyes need photons at the retina, just as a camera needs photons at the film. And you have agreed that any photons at the film or eye must have traveled there. That means you won't be able to see or photograph the newly ignited Sun until 8min after it has been ignited.

Quote:
He gave this hypothetical example regarding the sun to show that if the eyes are efferent, and although light travels, the image is not interpreted in the light itself.
And he was wrong with his example, because he failed to appreciate that photons must be at the eye, and that they cannot be there before they have had time to travel there.

Quote:
We would be able to see the object directly, which does not involve time.
And you have yourself proven this wrong. As you have conceded, any light at the film or retina must be light that has traveled there, but that DOES involve time.
Bump.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Light travels and it takes a certain amount of time for it to get to a destination.
Right. So when the Sun is first ignited, it will take a certain amount of time (8min) for light from the Sun to get to its destination (a retina or film on Earth) to make vision or photography possible.
Bump.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where did the photons at the film/retina come from and how did they get there?
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 PM

This post still applies and has not been replied to even once.

Quote:
Let's try this another way, Peacegirl. Let's start by assuming that the photons at the film/retina came from the Sun.
Assumption #1: The photons at the film/retina came from the Sun.
Now lets define traveling and teleporting. Traveling is getting from A to B by passing through all intervening points. Teleporting is getting from A to B without passing through all intervening points. Clearly these are jointly exhaustive - if you get from A to B you must do so either by passing through the intervening points or by not passing through them. So...
Conclusion #1: If the photons came from the Sun then they either traveled there or teleported there.
Now you insist that they neither traveled there nor teleported, so we can conclude via modus tollens (If A then B, not B, therefore not A) that these photons cannot have come from the Sun.
Assumption #2: The photons at the film/retina did not travel or teleport there.
Conclusion #2: The photons at the film/retina did not come from the Sun.
So now the million-dollar question: Where the fuck did these photons come from? We can note also that the exact same reasoning as above will still apply for any location other than the Sun - as long as the photons are getting from A to B, they have to either travel there or teleport there - so we can know that...
Conclusion #3: The photons at the film/retina did not get there from anywhere else.
That leaves two remaining possibilities: (i) These photons were always there, i.e. sitting stationary at the film/retina surface; or (ii) They did not previously exist, and instead came into existence at the film/retina. But of course neither of these are plausible either, as photons cannot be stationary, and they do not pop into existence in our eyes or on film. But unless you accept one of these options we are forced to conclude that...
Conclusion #4: Assumption #2 was bollocks.
Basically, what we have proven is that you have only four options for the photons at the film/retina:
(i) Traveling photons.
(ii) Teleporting photons.
(iii) Stationary photons.
(iv) Newly existing photons.
So which is it going to be? (Remember, weaseling and fake-conceding are not honest responses.)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:) That wasn't your previous answer. Why is emission or reflection of light important if we don't see the light, but the actual object?
Reflection does occur. How could the lens be in optical range without light traveling (remember the box example?). But the image does not come to us over space/time as once thought. That's why he said the "image" (the nonabsorbed photons that are at the eye when we are gazing at the actual object) is not actually being reflected due to the change in light's function, although light (the full spectrum) does get reflected and does travel.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Light travels and it takes a certain amount of time for it to get to a destination.
Right. So when the Sun is first ignited, it will take a certain amount of time (8min) for light from the Sun to get to its destination (a retina or film on Earth) to make vision or photography possible.
Bump.
No Spacemonkey. You are still trying to make time and distance an essential element instead of trying to understand why time and distance don't play an essential part in this model.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM

[quote=Spacemonkey;1192405][quote=Spacemonkey;1192310]
Quote:
Photons travel Spacemonkey, and when they reach Earth we can take photographs of everything on Earth.
Quote:
And photons from the newly ignited Sun cannot reach Earth until 8min after the Sun is ignited, making real-time photography impossible. So if vision works the same way, then real-time vision is not possible either.
Sure, if vision worked the way you believe it did, it would not be possible to take a photograph in real time.

Quote:
But this doesn't answer the larger question as to why we would be able to see the Sun instantly if it was just turned on.
Quote:
It shows quite conclusively that you cannot see the newly ignited Sun instantly. The eyes need photons at the retina, just as a camera needs photons at the film. And you have agreed that any photons at the film or eye must have traveled there. That means you won't be able to see or photograph the newly ignited Sun until 8min after it has been ignited.
Granted there needs to be light at the retina, but the light does not have to travel 8 minutes to connect with the eye since the object being seen creates a closed space where the light has already reached the eye or film.

Quote:
He gave this hypothetical example regarding the sun to show that if the eyes are efferent, and although light travels, the image is not interpreted in the light itself.
Quote:
And he was wrong with his example, because he failed to appreciate that photons must be at the eye, and that they cannot be there before they have had time to travel there.
Wrong again. He knew what he was saying. He didn't miss a beat.

Quote:
We would be able to see the object directly, which does not involve time.
Quote:
And you have yourself proven this wrong. As you have conceded, any light at the film or retina must be light that has traveled there, but that DOES involve time.
The nonabsorbed photons are traveling. There IS a connection between the light and the object. This is not in dispute and you know that. But if you look at the box example, while the light from the Sun is traveling to Earth, we cannot see anything on Earth for 81/2 minutes, but we can see the Sun in real time because the light being emitted reaches across the box and is at our eyes. Distance and time doesn't play a part in this model so the size of the box is irrelevant. What is paramount is that the object is bright enough and large enough to be seen by the viewer as he gazes in that direction.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Phallic Philanthropist

Quote:
..the object being seen creates a closed space where the light has already reached the film.
what?
Dare I ask... please explain this combination of words you've strung together.
Angakuk (06-25-2014), LadyShea (06-25-2014), Spacemonkey (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bump.
No Spacemonkey. You are still trying to make time and distance an essential element instead of trying to understand why time and distance don't play an essential part in this model.
What? I was agreeing with YOUR WORDS that light travels and takes time to reach its destination. You're now arguing with yourself again. YOU have said that the light at the retina or film traveled to get there. That means YOU have made time and distance an element of your account.
Angakuk (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, if vision worked the way you believe it did, it would not be possible to take a photograph in real time.
YOU are the one who said the light at the retina or film traveled there from the Sun. That means YOU have made it impossible for the newly ignited Sun to be photographed until 8min later.

Quote:
Granted there needs to be light at the retina, but the light does not have to travel 8 minutes to connect with the eye since the object being seen creates a closed space where the light has already reached the eye or film.
So you are retracting your claim that the light at the film or retina traveled there from the Sun? 'Creating a closed space' doesn't actually mean anything, and certainly doesn't explain how the photons change their location by 93 million miles without traveling. You seem to be trying to pretend that this distance doesn't exist.

Quote:
Wrong again. He knew what he was saying. He didn't miss a beat.
Sure, Mr 'molecules-of-light' knew exactly what he was talking about, lol. :rolleyes: And yet photons must be at the eye for vision, and that they cannot be there before they have had time to travel there.

Quote:
The nonabsorbed photons are traveling. There IS a connection between the light and the object. This is not in dispute and you know that. But if you look at the box example, that while the light from the Sun is traveling to Earth, we cannot see anything on Earth, but we can see the Sun in real time because the light being emitted reaches across the box to our eyes.
You are back to putting the same light at two different places. Light that is still traveling from the Sun to the Earth cannot 'reach across' space to also be at the retina or film at the same time. That is pure lunacy.
Dragar (06-24-2014), LadyShea (06-25-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy