Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Special relativity is a questionable theory (even though it originated from Einstein) in that there is no real proof that time slows down depending on one's inertial frame of reference...
Yeah, no evidence at all (not even confirmed at a level of one part in ten to the sixteenth power!).

You idiot. Where do you get these ideas?
Adam (04-09-2014), Angakuk (04-08-2014), LadyShea (04-07-2014), Pan Narrans (04-07-2014), Stephen Maturin (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Special relativity is a questionable theory (even though it originated from Einstein) in that there is no real proof that time slows down depending on one's inertial frame of reference...
Yeah, no evidence at all (not even confirmed at a level of one part in ten to the sixteenth power!).

Sorry Dragar, I do not believe time bends. I also don't believe in wormholes or warped space/time. Hate me for it. :(

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
TRENDS IN SCIENCE AND CULTURE
Charles Darwin a Bit Perturbed That Seymour Lessans Failed to Explicitly Renounce Theory of Evolution

'OMGUS,' Charles Darwin says of Seymour Lessans

Seymour Lessans 'reading' a book. Unfortunately, he is holding the book upside down.

FREETHOUGHT-FORUM (Internet News Service) -- In an e-mail sent from the pit of Hell, where he was consigned for all eternity for the sin of poisoning the public mind against Jesus, Charles Darwin, the evil father of evolutionary theory, wrote that he was "somewhat concerned" that Seymour Lessans did not straightforwardly attack the theory of evolution in his groundbreaking and pudpulling book, "Decline and Fall of All Evil."

"Hell is painful -- the all-loving Jesus makes sure we are clothed 24/7 in fire (He calls it "tough love") -- but somehow it's even more painful to note that Lessans failed to explicitly renounce evolution in his book," Darwin wrote. "I mean, srsly, WTF? He's all like, 'physics is completely wrong,' but he writes nothing at all about how descent with modification is a Big Lie? What's up with that?"

"OMGUS!" Darwin added angrily, speaking of Lessans.

"Don't get me wrong" Darwin went on in his message. "I understand that his stupid ideas about eyes are completely contrary to evolutionary theory, and I note that he did write some fuckwitted stuff about germinal substance and living again and again as different people even though we die, an incoherent idea that has no support in evolutionary biology or even elementary logic. And he wrote some dumb crap about the alleged evils of homosexuality and how it will fade away in his New World Odor. I mean, I'll grant him all that. But would it have been so fucking hard for him to just come right out and say specifically that evolutionary theory is false? As it stands now, his failure to specifically disown evolution automatically makes evolution suspect in the eyes of every educated person, and that's a damned shame."
You are completely misrepresenting his work which is par for the course. He never wrote anything about homosexuality, I did. You have absolutely no understanding of his discovery regarding death. It's laughable. I do believe this knowledge challenges your worldview to such an extent that you cannot control yourself or the things you say. Do you actually believe that your misguided refutations and spoofs are going to stop this knowledge from making its way to inquisitive unbiased minds? No way.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:03 PM
puzzler

Peacegirl, it's no good on the one hand insisting that Lessans' theories should be scientifically verified and then on the other hand rejecting any scientific evidence that goes against his theories just because "I don't believe it".

Time dilation has been demonstrated in all sorts of different ways to an almost unbelievable level of precision. Scientists never claim that they are absolutely certain about anything - there is always room for more accurate observations and improved theories. But time dilation is one thing all scientists agree about: it is most definitely a real phenomenon, whether you like it or not.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
He never implied that the accumulated knowledge of these fields is flat-out wrong.

The point is he gave his explanation and rationale as to why he believed the eyes function differently.

Actually both you and Lessans have said that "science got it wrong" which would include the last several hundred years of accumulated knowledge. You continue to lie and misrepresent yourself and your father.

Lessans never explained anything, he just asserted that it was so, and expected everyone to accept his word for it.
Angakuk (04-08-2014), Spacemonkey (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:

See Maturin's post #35716 for an accurate statement of the source of Peacegirls ideas.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Peacegirl, it's no good on the one hand insisting that Lessans' theories should be scientifically verified and then on the other hand rejecting any scientific evidence that goes against his theories just because "I don't believe it".

Time dilation has been demonstrated in all sorts of different ways to an almost unbelievable level of precision. Scientists never claim that they are absolutely certain about anything - there is always room for more accurate observations and improved theories. But time dilation is one thing all scientists agree about: it is most definitely a real phenomenon, whether you like it or not.
This has nothing to do with whether I like it or not. Time is not a dimension; it is a measurement of change. The present is all that exists.

A Time Dimension Forbids Motion or the Case of the Missing Time Dimension
What I am about to say may sound amazing but do not take my word for it. Figure it out on your own, for your own satisfaction. The moment one postulates the physical existence of a time dimension (as in string theory, for example), motion immediately becomes an impossibility. Note that, in this context, dimension is defined as a degree of freedom such as an axis in a coordinate system. And it is not a matter of motion in time being possible in one direction only as most people assume. A time dimension forbids motion altogether, forward or backward, or any other direction. Conclusion: There is no time dimension along which we move in one direction or the other. There is only the ever changing present. The so-called "arrow of time" is an absurdity and to speak of the possibility of time travel through wormholes is the ultimate in crackpottery.

Passage of Time?

People often talk about the passage of time. They say that time flows or changes. However, logically speaking, it is a fallacy that time changes. Clocks change, physical processes change but time is invariant. Why? Because, again, 'changing time' is self-referential. The truth is that nobody has ever observed time changing. We only use the changes in our clocks to derive unchanging time intervals. The nasty and shocking little truth is that time does not change, a million wormhole and time travel fanatics wearing their little Klingon and Ferengi outfits notwithstanding.

The above may come as a shocking revelation to many but it is a logical fact, one that makes a lot of celebrated time travel and wormhole physicists look rather silly.

Should We Stop Using Time?

Of course not. As long as time is seen for what it is, an abstract evolution (change) parameter, there is no problem. The whole thing is analogous to the unemployment rate. No one is arguing for its physical existence but it is nevertheless useful. The same goes for time. Just as the unemployment rate is derived abstractly from the number of employed and unemployed people, time is also derived abstractly from the magnitude or rate of motion or change. The greater the magnitude of the motion or the change, the shorter the time. It is only when one decides to make time an independent variable or a dimensional axis (degree of freedom), that one moves into crackpot territory.

Is Relativity Wrong?

Does the impossibility of motion in spacetime invalidate Einstein's relativity? The answer depends on whether one takes spacetime to be physically existent (as relativists do) or as an abstract, non-existent, mathematical construct for the historical mapping of measured events. If one chooses the former, one is obviously a crackpot or a fraud, or both. If one chooses the latter, then general relativity is to be seen as a mere math trick: the physical mechanism of gravity is still out there and it is incumbent upon physicists to find it.

Not Against Relativity

I get angry emails from people accusing me of badmouthing relativity, one of the most corroborated theories of physics. I am not. In my opinion, the special and general theories of relativity are mathematically correct and make correct predictions. What is wrong are all the obviously false claims made on the basis of their correctness. Relativity does not allow motion in spacetime or time travel, as Dr. Wheeler, Sir Stephen Hawking, Dr. Kip Thorne and the others claim. It forbids motion in spacetime! It is important that people see relativity for what it is, a mathematical trick for the prediction of macroscopic phenomena involving the motion of bodies in a spatial coordinate system. Spacetime is an abstract mathematical construct, that is all. The other stuff (motion in spacetime, time travel, advanced and retarded waves, wormholes, etc...), is pure hogwash. This stuff is so trivially proven wrong in fact, that it is insulting to the lay public, the same public that funds most scientific projects. Even the relativity-derived notion of time dilation is hopelessly misleading. Time does not dilate (as if time could change!). On the contrary, it is the clocks that slow down (for whatever reason) resulting in longer measured intervals.

Why Do People Believe in an Arrow of Time?

Here is what one or my readers (19 year-old Preston Sumner) wrote in this regard:

I think the reason so many latch onto an "arrow of time" is because of the human mind. We store memories and information in our brains, and so we have a "past" that exists in our heads. All our lives we have this mental function and never question it, and because of this, it's easy to envision that the past is actually "alive" and a co-existing plane of existence of some sort. The concepts of past and future become so engrained in our worldviews that we can't separate ourselves from it. Sci-fi also aids in this.

I often marvel that young people can have so much more insight into the nature of things than some of society's most celebrated and admired scientists and thinkers. Is it because the young have not yet been completely indoctrinated into the Borg-like hive mentality that is so prevalent in society. A mind is terrible thing to assimilate.

Nasty Little Truth About Spacetime Physics

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Lincoln's Classic Meditation on this 'Mighty Shitty Thread'

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014), Stephen Maturin (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Just had to get Darwin and Lincoln back to back, as they were born on the same day and year. :yup:
Old 04-07-2014, 12:05 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
We don't test a dog's ability to smell, or taste, or feel, or hear,
:lolwut: of course we do

And Louis Savain is not a reliable source of scientific information, he is a kook. As has been demonstrated to you repeatedly. Do you have anyone credible to quote to support your views on the non-existence of time dilation?

Last edited by LadyShea; 04-07-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 AM

Wait, there's more Louis Savain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Quote:
"This site is an alternative to voodoo science, the sort of science that coats itself with a veneer of legitimacy while being not much more valid than the crackpot science that its practitioners love to disparage. Truth is, voodoo science is much more detrimental to our understanding of nature than crackpot science because society is easily fooled by its authoritative mask...

There is a foolproof way to spot a voodoo scientist..."
Oh, the irony of quoting Louis Savain, the crackpot who "As a Christian, I had long suspected that some of the metaphorical passages in several Old and New Testament books were scientific in nature", (1) and then proceeds to base his "scientific" theories on the books of Zechariah and Revelations, and opines that "Anybody with more than two neurons between their ears knows that evolution is a religion of cretins, created by cretins for cretins." (2)

(1) Rebel Science News: Secrets of the Holy Grail, Part V
(2) http://darwins-god.blogspot.com.au/2...36280150191616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Last I heard about Louis Savain, he'd conclusively proven that the Bible is complete, technically accurate description of the neurology of the human brain. He was also planning to build a Christian artificial intelligence using the Book of Revelation as a blueprint.

Nope, no crackpottery there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Why do you think Savain is right? What led you to that conclusion? What evidence or argument did he present that you found convincing? Why is his evidence or argument superior to Dragar's?
What makes Dragar's definition better than Savains?
Dragar's is the actual definition as used in physics and Savain's is not. He used the wrong definition of a term that is key to his argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Quote:
Quote:
Right now I am giving a sigh of relief because my father had no weird ideas that would make people question him on the areas he was knowledgeable in.
Efferent vision is a weird idea and Lessans was not knowledgable about any field having to do with vision or light physics, and the germinal substance is a woo idea that you can't even begin to explain.
I can, but not to you because you have a vendetta. How can anyone explain something when the person being explained to is invested in finding flaws that aren't there?
Did you miss the list I compiled of your exact quotes about the germinal substance that are inconsistent and contradictory to each other? If you could explain it effectively they would not be inconsistent and contradictory. Shall I repost them?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Word play is using words that are unfamiliar and serve to cause more confusion than clarity.
Unfortunately unfamiliar words are going to be used when trying to explain physics and high level mathematics to lay-people. That doesn't mean there is any malice or purposeful obfuscation involved...it means various terms are in regular use in some fields that are not in regular use outside of those fields.
Then a person has to start at a level where it can be understood. Using words that describe concepts unfamiliar to the lay population will only serve to confuse. It's better not to say anything than to start at a place where the line of communication is out of commission.
Then the layperson shouldn't be criticizing the science or math if they don't understand the words and terms that must be used in any explanation. Or they should try to learn the words and what they mean.
Wrong. I have enough knowledge to criticize the scientific community and their arrogance that whatever they say has to be right. And I feel confident in saying this.
Savain used the wrong definition for a key term in his argument, an argument you found convincing was based on an incorrect premise. When Dragar tried to explain how this was the wrong definition you attacked him as playing word games because you don't understand the physics or math well enough to understand the explanation. But, you feel confident criticizing the physicist? Really?

Quote:
Quote:
Savain used physics terms incorrectly. He used the wrong definition. Sort of like when Lessans used Molecules of Light. You believe him anyway, despite his not understanding what he was criticizing...because if he understood he wouldn't use wrong definitions.
Wrong definition? My father never defined photons, so why are you bringing this up as if to say that the word changes the concept.
He discussed light as being comprised of molecules...this is using the wrong definition of light.

Quote:
Quote:
You're right, it may not be bullshit, but I place my bet on this guy because his observations are in keeping with my father's that all we have is the present. Time does not bend, time does not dilate, and we will never be able to go back in time to see how things could have been instead of how they actually played out.
Quote:
LOL, par for the course. Believe the crackpot because he agrees with Lessans, but call the scientists work bullshit when you don't even understand it, then wonder why everyone thinks you are a religious fanatic or crackpot yourself.

Good luck with getting Lessans work looked at seriously with that MO.
What about you? Do you actually think you are any different? The minute someone challenges your dear science, you go on automatic pilot trying to negate anything that would dare threaten what has given you a sense of purpose. But science is not always right. You won't even consider that this could be true because it would bring your worldview to a screeching halt. That would be too difficult to even imagine.
I am not the one trying to get my ideas taken seriously by scientists, am I? I am not the one with a "Revolution in Thought" as a worldview that needs validating by science to be accepted. I am not the one claiming to hold the key to world peace and prosperity but needing it to be validated by scientists first. I am not the one who has dedicated my life to promoting a worldview in need of scientific validation.

Who is going to need to validate Lessans work to get the Golden Age started? Scientists. I don't need science to validate my life's work and my entire worldview or vindicate my father, but you do.

So your criticizing them at every turn is kind of a stupid PR move on your part.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it's YOU that needs to understand time better. Why me? :eek:
I would like to understand time better, but I know that time dilation has been observed and is used in working technology. You deny this to be the case.
Bullcrap. You are just repeating what you've heard. You have no intrinsic understanding of any of this, so you're no better.
LOL, intrinsic? Is that the word you meant to use?

I understand that time dilation is a fact and understand why it must be corrected for with GPS. I researched it when looking into GPS earlier in this discussion. No, I don't know all of it, I certainly don't understand the math, but I do know that the time dilation part is empirically observed and tested and in daily practical use.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
If you've no idea why this idiot uses the wrong definition for four-velocity, how can you possibly know if anything else he says on the topic is true?
Why is it wrong?
Because he says it is how the four-position changes with coordinate time. That isn't how four-velocity is defined (because it would be a stupid definition). You can go look at my previous posts, or on Wikipedia, or an introductory book on relativity, to explain.

He's a crackpot.
So how is it defined?
I told you already. It's defined as rate of change with respect to the proper time - a separate variable, usually denoted by the Greek symbol tau. The proper time is the time an observer experiences. In fact, the rate of change of coordinate time with respect to proper time gives you something called the Lorentz factor, which is used to calculate things like time dilation and -

Quote:
Nevermind.
Oh, I forgot you don't care about learning or facts or science. You don't even care if this guy has his basic maths right: he (in your bizarre interpretation) agrees with Lessans, so you believe everything he says. And that's why you end up linking to crackpots.

Quote:
Louis Savain will never be taken seriously even if his observations are spot on because this not just about truth; it's about who is claiming that truth, and since he is a nobody in the scientific world, his views don't count. Sound familiar?
More whining. He's a crackpot; his observations aren't observations, their nonsense assertions based on his crackpot interpretation of the world. Sound familiar?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
And you're a jerk, a bitch, and a grump. :D
So your new direction for this thread consists of insulting people in between linking to other crackpots while trying to show that your father was not a crackpot?
This guy that I linked people to is not a crackpot.
Then why does he get the definition of four-velocity wrong? I think it's because he's a crackpot that doesn't know what he's talking about.
You can't just dismiss him because you misinterpret something he says. Did you read everything he wrote and why he believes scientists are on the wrong track?
Dragar is an astrophysicist. Louis Savain is not. Which of the two do you think knows more about spacetime?

Louis Savain thinks the book of Revelation gives instructions for building an AI (artificial intelligence). That's a crank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Savain
That's when I made an amazing discovery that completely changed the nature of my work. One evening, while reading the Christian occult book (aka the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse), I was struck by an uncanny resemblance between some of my ideas on intelligence and a handful of metaphorical passages collectively known as the Message to the Seven Churches of Asia. It was like a bolt of lightning. I became instantly convinced that the book of Revelation was not at all what Christians and others profess it to be. There was no doubt in my mind that it was a book of amazing scientific secrets coded in clever metaphors. Soon afterwards, my research led me to examine another ancient occult text, an old testament book written by the prophet Zechariah around 518 BC, more than 600 years before Revelation. Zechariah's text turned out to be a treasure trove of hidden knowledge about the brain. Here are a few metaphors and my interpretations:

The Temple
This is a metaphor for memory.
The Stone with Seven Eyes
Symbolizes the fundamental building block of memory.
The Menorah (Seven Branch Lampstand) or Seven Eyes of God
This represents the seven-item capacity of short-term memory.
The Two Olive Trees
This is the tree-like memory structures of the left and right hemispheres of the brain.

One of my findings squarely contradicts mainstream neuroscience literature. Currently, neuroscientists believe that the cerebellum contributes to language and speech processing. However, my interpretation of the messages to the Church of Pergamum and the Church of Laodicea in the book of Revelation forced me to conclude that the mainstream view is incorrect. It is true that people with cerebellar lesions tend to speak haltingly but it's only because they must stop periodically to consciously handle routine functions (e.g., balance and posture) that are normally the responsibility of the cerebellum. Over the last several years, my understanding of the brain and intelligence has increased a thousand fold and I attribute my progress entirely to my study of the ancient Biblical texts. Read Artificial Intelligence From the Bible to learn about my early research in this area. Rebel Science News: Intelligent Computer Chess, Part IV
LOL, yeah, no crackpottery there

He admits to believing crackpot stuff
Quote:
So yes, I am a Christian. And no, I am not a fire and brimstone fundamentalist, nor am I a young earth creationist. As some of you already know, unlike most Christians, I believe in really weird Christian shit. For example, I believe that the most revolutionary scientific advances in the history of humanity will happen in this century and will come straight out of the Bible. And by revolutionary advances, I am talking about all the "crackpot" stuff that mainstream science looks down on such as free energy, levitation, extremely fast travel, artificial intelligence, the secret of eternal youth, etc.
Maybe he does have some strange ideas, but you cannot come to the conclusion that everything he says is therefore wrong. The same goes for Mike Adams.
They have proven to not be credible, so why bother trying to suss out whether anything they say is right or not? There are plenty of credible sources of all kinds of information out there, I don't need to waste my time with demonstrated cranks.
Quote:
Quote:
This shows how widespread crackpottery can be, especially in the scientific community where they are often given a free pass. It can't get more fundie than that.

LOL, you do love your nutjobs don't you?

Rebel Science News: Who Am I? What Are My Credentials?

Quote:
Shit-for-brains voodoo physicists don’t like me but I crap on their time-travel and black hole religion.
I am a Christian but, unlike most Christians, I believe in weird Christian shit. I believe that we are all forgiven (just ask), even computer geeks and crackpot physicists. What’s your chicken shit religion? Ahahaha...
If my Bible research offends you, then don't read my blog. It's not meant for you. I need neither your approval, nor your criticism, nor your money. I don't care if you're Bill Gates or the Sultan of Brunei.
I’m the guy who hates to say ‘I told you so’ but I told you so. Goddamnit!
I am right about software reliability.
I am right about parallel programming and multicore processors.
I am right about crackpot physics.
I am right about the causality of motion and the fact that we are immersed in an immense ocean of energetic particles.
I am wrong about almost everything else.
Laugh along with Louis Savain – Stranger Fruit
Quote:
I have made a falsifiable prediction about the human cerebellum based on my interpretation of certain Biblical metaphors. If you can falsify it, do so. Otherwise, your lame attempt at ridiculing my person is just that, lame. You wanted falsifiability, you’re gonna get it. Lots of it.

Assuming that the ID hypothesis is correct, one can argue that, since humans are the dominant species on earth, the designers must have had a special interest in us when they began their project. My hypothesis is that they are conducting an experiment, the purpose of which is to distinguish between believers and deniers. Given their vast intellect, it is certain that they anticipated the current conflict. If so, it is highly likely that they would have left us a secret message, a message so powerful that its mere publication would cause the collapse of the materialist fortress.
The Nasty Little Truth about Idiots Who Don’t Understand Dimensions
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014), Dragar (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
They don't train dogs through a reward system in any test that I've seen other than sight. Why is that?

Quote:
And Louis Savain is not a reliable source of scientific information, he is a kook. As has been demonstrated to you repeatedly. Do you have anyone credible to quote to support your views on the non-existence of time dilation?
Savain might not be a reliable source of information to you, but he is to me. He might not be correct in everything he espouses, but that does not mean I have to throw out everything he has to say on a given subject. You can believe in the sources that tell you time bends and wormholes exist and we can go back in the past or forward to the future because of the block universe theory, and I'll believe what I want to. I don't judge the credibility of an individual the same way you do. It's questionable who the real crackpots are. :giggle:

A Crackpot Is a Crackpot

Crackpottery in High Places is the Most Dangerous form of Crackpottery

Readers should feel free to suggest more names to include in my list of notorious time travel crackpots. Please use the email address at the bottom of the page. This is important because the correctness of humanity's fundamental understanding of nature is crucial to further progress. Crackpottery in high places is the most dangerous form of crackpottery. It condemns generations of young people to believe in lies and, as a result, scientific progress suffers. In fact, this whole motion in spacetime nonsense has already cost humanity close to a century of wasted time and wasted minds. In my opinion, we would have figured out the exact causal mechanism of gravity by now if our young people had not been falsely taught that Albert Einstein had already figured it out close to a century ago.

Do Not Be Afraid

If you decide to enter a name for the crackpot list, do not be afraid of legal repercussions or your standing in the scientific community. When all this stuff comes out in the open--and it will, you will congratulate yourself on your bravery. Consider also that a crackpot is a crackpot regardless of how famous he or she is, or his/her reputation in the scientific community, or even how many lawyers he or she can muster. Some of the people on the list are obvious frauds, in my opinion.

And by the way, should some in the physics community choose to take offense, they are welcome to chip in to form a legal fund that they can use to sue the heck out of everybody in order to preserve the good names of their favorite gurus. Fire away.

Last edited by peacegirl; 04-07-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Wait, there's more Louis Savain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Quote:
"This site is an alternative to voodoo science, the sort of science that coats itself with a veneer of legitimacy while being not much more valid than the crackpot science that its practitioners love to disparage. Truth is, voodoo science is much more detrimental to our understanding of nature than crackpot science because society is easily fooled by its authoritative mask...

There is a foolproof way to spot a voodoo scientist..."
Oh, the irony of quoting Louis Savain, the crackpot who "As a Christian, I had long suspected that some of the metaphorical passages in several Old and New Testament books were scientific in nature", (1) and then proceeds to base his "scientific" theories on the books of Zechariah and Revelations, and opines that "Anybody with more than two neurons between their ears knows that evolution is a religion of cretins, created by cretins for cretins." (2)

(1) Rebel Science News: Secrets of the Holy Grail, Part V
(2) http://darwins-god.blogspot.com.au/2...36280150191616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
Last I heard about Louis Savain, he'd conclusively proven that the Bible is complete, technically accurate description of the neurology of the human brain. He was also planning to build a Christian artificial intelligence using the Book of Revelation as a blueprint.

Nope, no crackpottery there.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why do you think Savain is right? What led you to that conclusion? What evidence or argument did he present that you found convincing? Why is his evidence or argument superior to Dragar's?
What makes Dragar's definition better than Savains?
Dragar's is the actual definition as used in physics and Savain's is not. He used the wrong definition of a term that is key to his argument.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Right now I am giving a sigh of relief because my father had no weird ideas that would make people question him on the areas he was knowledgeable in.
Efferent vision is a weird idea and Lessans was not knowledgable about any field having to do with vision or light physics, and the germinal substance is a woo idea that you can't even begin to explain.
I can, but not to you because you have a vendetta. How can anyone explain something when the person being explained to is invested in finding flaws that aren't there?
Did you miss the list I compiled of your exact quotes about the germinal substance that are inconsistent and contradictory to each other? If you could explain it effectively they would not be inconsistent and contradictory. Shall I repost them?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Word play is using words that are unfamiliar and serve to cause more confusion than clarity.
Unfortunately unfamiliar words are going to be used when trying to explain physics and high level mathematics to lay-people. That doesn't mean there is any malice or purposeful obfuscation involved...it means various terms are in regular use in some fields that are not in regular use outside of those fields.
Then a person has to start at a level where it can be understood. Using words that describe concepts unfamiliar to the lay population will only serve to confuse. It's better not to say anything than to start at a place where the line of communication is out of commission.
Then the layperson shouldn't be criticizing the science or math if they don't understand the words and terms that must be used in any explanation. Or they should try to learn the words and what they mean.
Wrong. I have enough knowledge to criticize the scientific community and their arrogance that whatever they say has to be right. And I feel confident in saying this.
Savain used the wrong definition for a key term in his argument, an argument you found convincing was based on an incorrect premise. When Dragar tried to explain how this was the wrong definition you attacked him as playing word games because you don't understand the physics or math well enough to understand the explanation. But, you feel confident criticizing the physicist? Really?

Quote:
Quote:
Savain used physics terms incorrectly. He used the wrong definition. Sort of like when Lessans used Molecules of Light. You believe him anyway, despite his not understanding what he was criticizing...because if he understood he wouldn't use wrong definitions.
Wrong definition? My father never defined photons, so why are you bringing this up as if to say that the word changes the concept.
He discussed light as being comprised of molecules...this is using the wrong definition of light.

Quote:
Quote:
You're right, it may not be bullshit, but I place my bet on this guy because his observations are in keeping with my father's that all we have is the present. Time does not bend, time does not dilate, and we will never be able to go back in time to see how things could have been instead of how they actually played out.
Quote:
LOL, par for the course. Believe the crackpot because he agrees with Lessans, but call the scientists work bullshit when you don't even understand it, then wonder why everyone thinks you are a religious fanatic or crackpot yourself.

Good luck with getting Lessans work looked at seriously with that MO.
What about you? Do you actually think you are any different? The minute someone challenges your dear science, you go on automatic pilot trying to negate anything that would dare threaten what has given you a sense of purpose. But science is not always right. You won't even consider that this could be true because it would bring your worldview to a screeching halt. That would be too difficult to even imagine.
I am not the one trying to get my ideas taken seriously by scientists, am I? I am not the one with a "Revolution in Thought" as a worldview that needs validating by science to be accepted. I am not the one claiming to hold the key to world peace and prosperity but needing it to be validated by scientists first. I am not the one who has dedicated my life to promoting a worldview in need of scientific validation.

Who is going to need to validate Lessans work to get the Golden Age started? Scientists. I don't need science to validate my life's work and my entire worldview or vindicate my father, but you do.

So your criticizing them at every turn is kind of a stupid PR move on your part.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it's YOU that needs to understand time better. Why me? :eek:
I would like to understand time better, but I know that time dilation has been observed and is used in working technology. You deny this to be the case.
Bullcrap. You are just repeating what you've heard. You have no intrinsic understanding of any of this, so you're no better.
LOL, intrinsic? Is that the word you meant to use?

I understand that time dilation is a fact and understand why it must be corrected for with GPS. I researched it when looking into GPS earlier in this discussion. No, I don't know all of it, I certainly don't understand the math, but I do know that the time dilation part is empirically observed and tested and in daily practical use.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gZrPX4xhf4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
If you've no idea why this idiot uses the wrong definition for four-velocity, how can you possibly know if anything else he says on the topic is true?
Why is it wrong?
Because he says it is how the four-position changes with coordinate time. That isn't how four-velocity is defined (because it would be a stupid definition). You can go look at my previous posts, or on Wikipedia, or an introductory book on relativity, to explain.

He's a crackpot.
So how is it defined?
I told you already. It's defined as rate of change with respect to the proper time - a separate variable, usually denoted by the Greek symbol tau. The proper time is the time an observer experiences. In fact, the rate of change of coordinate time with respect to proper time gives you something called the Lorentz factor, which is used to calculate things like time dilation and -

Quote:
Nevermind.
Oh, I forgot you don't care about learning or facts or science. You don't even care if this guy has his basic maths right: he (in your bizarre interpretation) agrees with Lessans, so you believe everything he says. And that's why you end up linking to crackpots.

Quote:
Louis Savain will never be taken seriously even if his observations are spot on because this not just about truth; it's about who is claiming that truth, and since he is a nobody in the scientific world, his views don't count. Sound familiar?
More whining. He's a crackpot; his observations aren't observations, their nonsense assertions based on his crackpot interpretation of the world. Sound familiar?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
And you're a jerk, a bitch, and a grump. :D
So your new direction for this thread consists of insulting people in between linking to other crackpots while trying to show that your father was not a crackpot?
This guy that I linked people to is not a crackpot.
Then why does he get the definition of four-velocity wrong? I think it's because he's a crackpot that doesn't know what he's talking about.
You can't just dismiss him because you misinterpret something he says. Did you read everything he wrote and why he believes scientists are on the wrong track?
Dragar is an astrophysicist. Louis Savain is not. Which of the two do you think knows more about spacetime?

Louis Savain thinks the book of Revelation gives instructions for building an AI (artificial intelligence). That's a crank.
Quote:
That's when I made an amazing discovery that completely changed the nature of my work. One evening, while reading the Christian occult book (aka the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse), I was struck by an uncanny resemblance between some of my ideas on intelligence and a handful of metaphorical passages collectively known as the Message to the Seven Churches of Asia. It was like a bolt of lightning. I became instantly convinced that the book of Revelation was not at all what Christians and others profess it to be. There was no doubt in my mind that it was a book of amazing scientific secrets coded in clever metaphors. Soon afterwards, my research led me to examine another ancient occult text, an old testament book written by the prophet Zechariah around 518 BC, more than 600 years before Revelation. Zechariah's text turned out to be a treasure trove of hidden knowledge about the brain. Here are a few metaphors and my interpretations:

The Temple
This is a metaphor for memory.
The Stone with Seven Eyes
Symbolizes the fundamental building block of memory.
The Menorah (Seven Branch Lampstand) or Seven Eyes of God
This represents the seven-item capacity of short-term memory.
The Two Olive Trees
This is the tree-like memory structures of the left and right hemispheres of the brain.

One of my findings squarely contradicts mainstream neuroscience literature. Currently, neuroscientists believe that the cerebellum contributes to language and speech processing. However, my interpretation of the messages to the Church of Pergamum and the Church of Laodicea in the book of Revelation forced me to conclude that the mainstream view is incorrect. It is true that people with cerebellar lesions tend to speak haltingly but it's only because they must stop periodically to consciously handle routine functions (e.g., balance and posture) that are normally the responsibility of the cerebellum. Over the last several years, my understanding of the brain and intelligence has increased a thousand fold and I attribute my progress entirely to my study of the ancient Biblical texts. Read Artificial Intelligence From the Bible to learn about my early research in this area. Rebel Science News: Intelligent Computer Chess, Part IV
LOL, yeah, no crackpottery there

He admits to believing crackpot stuff
Quote:
So yes, I am a Christian. And no, I am not a fire and brimstone fundamentalist, nor am I a young earth creationist. As some of you already know, unlike most Christians, I believe in really weird Christian shit. For example, I believe that the most revolutionary scientific advances in the history of humanity will happen in this century and will come straight out of the Bible. And by revolutionary advances, I am talking about all the "crackpot" stuff that mainstream science looks down on such as free energy, levitation, extremely fast travel, artificial intelligence, the secret of eternal youth, etc.
Maybe he does have some strange ideas, but you cannot come to the conclusion that everything he says is therefore wrong. The same goes for Mike Adams.
They have proven to not be credible, so why bother trying to suss out whether anything they say is right or not? There are plenty of credible sources of all kinds of information out there, I don't need to waste my time with demonstrated cranks.
Quote:
Quote:
This shows how widespread crackpottery can be, especially in the scientific community where they are often given a free pass. It can't get more fundie than that.

LOL, you do love your nutjobs don't you?

Rebel Science News: Who Am I? What Are My Credentials?

Quote:
Shit-for-brains voodoo physicists don’t like me but I crap on their time-travel and black hole religion.
I am a Christian but, unlike most Christians, I believe in weird Christian shit. I believe that we are all forgiven (just ask), even computer geeks and crackpot physicists. What’s your chicken shit religion? Ahahaha...
If my Bible research offends you, then don't read my blog. It's not meant for you. I need neither your approval, nor your criticism, nor your money. I don't care if you're Bill Gates or the Sultan of Brunei.
I’m the guy who hates to say ‘I told you so’ but I told you so. Goddamnit!
I am right about software reliability.
I am right about parallel programming and multicore processors.
I am right about crackpot physics.
I am right about the causality of motion and the fact that we are immersed in an immense ocean of energetic particles.
I am wrong about almost everything else.
Laugh along with Louis Savain – Stranger Fruit
Quote:
I have made a falsifiable prediction about the human cerebellum based on my interpretation of certain Biblical metaphors. If you can falsify it, do so. Otherwise, your lame attempt at ridiculing my person is just that, lame. You wanted falsifiability, you’re gonna get it. Lots of it.

Assuming that the ID hypothesis is correct, one can argue that, since humans are the dominant species on earth, the designers must have had a special interest in us when they began their project. My hypothesis is that they are conducting an experiment, the purpose of which is to distinguish between believers and deniers. Given their vast intellect, it is certain that they anticipated the current conflict. If so, it is highly likely that they would have left us a secret message, a message so powerful that its mere publication would cause the collapse of the materialist fortress.
The Nasty Little Truth about Idiots Who Don’t Understand Dimensions
Nothing here proves that time is a fourth dimension. The changes in clock time as we get further and further from earth is a real phenomenon. This mismatch of clock time needs to be adjusted in order to give us a precise GPS location, but this can be done without having to resort to the underlying presupposition that time itself is dilating and bending.

Time is the Abstract Inverse of Change

Since a time axis does not exist, there is only one way to look at time. It is an abstract parameter derived from change. When we use a clock, we may fool ourselves into thinking that we are measuring something physical that we call time, but what we are doing is detecting change. The accepted convention is that the greater the magnitude of the change, the shorter the time interval. Thus time is the abstract inverse of change. This inverse proportionality is the reason that 't' is the denominator in the formula for velocity. However, some prefer to call time 'change' and that is fine with me. As such, it can be used as an evolution parameter with which to compare the magnitude of the change occurring in one process to the calibrated change of another.

http://www.rebelscience.org/Crackpot...us.htm#Nothing

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They don't train dogs through a reward system in any test that I've seen other than sight. Why is that?
That only means you've never looked. All testing of dog behavior includes some training with rewards.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
I'm bored, is all. I have nothing planned today and I'm in a feisty mood. It's as simple as that.
Why don't you find something productive to do with your time instead?
LadyShea (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That only means you've never looked. All testing of dog behavior includes some training with rewards.
There is no reward system in this test:

Canine Hearing Test at UC's FETCH~LAB - YouTube

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is no reward system in this test:

Canine Hearing Test at UC's FETCH~LAB - YouTube

You said we don't test a dog's hearing, and now you post a video of just such a test. Congratulations you have just proven yourself wrong, again. And just because the video didn't show the reward, doesn't mean there wasn't one.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:06 AM

That's not a scientific experiment, that's a medical test. Pets become deaf sometimes.

Last edited by LadyShea; 04-07-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 AM

Try these
Quote:
The purpose of this project was to provide data on the success rate of dogs identifying people by scent when working in conditions similar to those used by the police in Holland and Germany. Over 700 scent samples were collected from people of both sexes and a wide age range and seven dogs, Canis familiaris, were trained to match human body scents. The test conditions were carefully controlled to eliminate any cue other than the body scents presented to the dog. Each dog sniffed a piece of cloth which had been in contact with an unspecified part of the body of a person and then indicated which of a selection of blank or body-scented cloths bore the same scent. The handler did not know the location of the target scent. The average score of the dogs working with body-scented cloths from six donors was 80% correct whereas a random choice of cloth would have been 17% correct. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...03347284713807
Quote:
In a scent identification line-up, a trained dog matches the scent trace left by a perpetrator at the crime scene to the odour of a suspect in a line-up of different odours. The procedures are strictly defined and the results are routinely used by the police and as evidence in court in a number of European countries. This paper describes the effect of ageing of the odour trace collected at the crime scene on the performance of the dogs in recognising the perpetrator in a line-up.

Elsevier
Quote:
Dogs were trained to detect the bed bug (as few as one adult male or female) and viable bed bug eggs (five, collected 5–6 d after feeding) by using a modified food and verbal reward system.
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
Quote:
We tested whether dogs have a cross-modal representation of human individuals. We presented domestic dogs with a photo of either the owner's or a stranger's face on the LCD monitor after playing back a voice of one of those persons. A voice and a face matched in half of the trials (Congruent condition) and mismatched in the other half (Incongruent condition). If our subjects activate visual images of the voice, their expectation would be contradicted in Incongruent condition. It would result in the subjects’ longer looking times in Incongruent condition than in Congruent condition. Our subject dogs looked longer at the visual stimulus in Incongruent condition than in Congruent condition. This suggests that dogs actively generate their internal representation of the owner's face when they hear the owner calling them. This is the first demonstration that nonhuman animals do not merely associate auditory and visual stimuli but also actively generate a visual image from auditory information. Furthermore, our subject also looked at the visual stimulus longer in Incongruent condition in which the owner's face followed an unfamiliar person's voice than in Congruent condition in which the owner's face followed the owner's voice. Dogs recall their owner's face upon hearing the owner's voice - Springer
Quote:
To examine the role of these structures in auditory memory, we performed rhinal, hippocampal, and combined lesions in groups of dogs trained in auditory delayed matching-to-sample with trial-unique sounds. The sample sound was presented through a central speaker and, after a delay, the sample sound and a different sound were played alternately through speakers placed on either side of the animal; the animal was rewarded for responding to the side emitting the sample sound. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...06452201001403
Ooh look. A dog learning symbolic language! There are some videos of this
Quote:
A female mongrel dog was submitted to a training schedule in which, after basic command training and after acquiring the verbal labels of rewarding objects or activities, she learned to ask for such objects or activities by selecting lexigrams and pressing keys on a keyboard. Systematic records taken during spontaneous interaction with one of the experimenters showed that lexigrams were used in an appropriate, intentional way, in accordance with the immediate motivational context. The dog only utilized the keyboard in the experimenter’s presence and gazed to him more frequently after key pressing than before, an indication that lexigram use did have communicative content.A dog at the keyboard: using arbitrary signs to co... [Anim Cogn. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited by LadyShea; 04-07-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I'm bored, is all. I have nothing planned today and I'm in a feisty mood.
And the last 2 weeks you've been here after a fairly prolonged absence? Boredom as well? LOL

Quote:
It's as simple as that.
Whatever you say

Quote:
Why do you constantly read into my motives?
I asked what your motives were. Asking straight up is kind of the opposite of reading into things.

Quote:
And why do you keep coming back
I've never left :ff:, I come back to this thread when it gets bumped up. So I "come back" because of you.

Quote:
as if to say I need to leave in order for you to stay away?
No, I stated pretty clearly you need to leave if you don't want to listen to Lessans ideas being "bashed". You know we will do so, so why do you come back for more of the same? Unlike you, I don't loudly wail about crucifixion and burning at the stake and gang rapes and all your martyr shit. If you think that is truly what is happening here, and voluntarily expose yourself to it repeatedly, then you must enjoy it, or maybe appreciate it because it feeds a persecution complex. If there are other rational motivations for subjecting yourself to people you think are small minded and cruel and unable to grasp the information you are presenting, to throw your pearls before swine (to use a colorful homily like you are fond of), I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by LadyShea; 04-07-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 AM

Speaking of deaf dogs, how do you suppose deaf dogs are routinely trained using hand signals, since they don't have visual recognition abilities according to you?

Deaf dogs learn sign language| Latest News Videos | Fox News (no embed available)

Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry Dragar, I do not believe time bends. I also don't believe in wormholes or warped space/time. Hate me for it. :(
That's nothing to do with special relativity, and nor do I hate you. I do hate that you lie though: there's huge amounts of evidence for time-dilation, you know that, so why did you claim otherwise?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Show me where this is the typical test that is done to prove that hearing is a sense organ, or tasting is a sense organ. They are only trying to refine their testing, but they do not for a second see a problem. There is a problem with the eyes. You can argue with me until the cows come home, but there is a difference in their testing apparatus.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's nothing to do with special relativity, and nor do I hate you. I do hate that you lie though: there's huge amounts of evidence for time-dilation, you know that, so why did you claim otherwise?
Because it's a wild theory and it's trusted only because the people who offer this theory are looked up to as gods. How dare anyone argue with the likes of famous physicists. And you know who they are.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (04-08-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
Because it's a wild theory...
Wild? Like, this is a theory that goes to Ibiza takes its bra off and dances naked while drinking vodka surrounded by adoring theories of the opposite gender, sort of wild?

What the heck?

Quote:
...and it's trusted only because the people who offer this theory are looked up to as gods.
I'm glad you think of me this way, but I'm not a god, nor are most people who talk about it.

Quote:
How dare anyone argue with the likes of famous physicists. And you know who they are.
I'm sure I do. That's what famous means.

How does this answer the question I posed, peacegirl? You lied because the theory is 'wild' (wey-hey!) and, charitably interpreted, because famous physicists are regarded highly and are the ones telling people it's true? How is this possibly a good answer for your blatant dishonesty?
Angakuk (04-08-2014), Stephen Maturin (04-07-2014)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy