Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Smiliedome

Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Solipsist

Default Re: WTF smilies you see at other forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
I hope your X Bar post involves placenta and/or breast milk.
Coarse Placenta Paté

Ingredients
Assemble all ingredients except placenta and milk ahead of time.
You will want to prepare this as soon as possible after you have given birth.

Quantities assume an average placenta of 500g (1lb 2oz). Weigh your placenta and increase or reduce other quantities as required.

1 placenta
1 organic onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove organic garlic, crushed
500ml (2 cups) freshly expressed breast milk
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon low-food-miles cayenne pepper
125g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
1. Cut placenta into pieces about the size of baby's head.
2. Combine placenta, milk, and herbs in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Drain; remove bay leaf for composting.
4. Place placenta pieces in work bowl of food processor. Add onion, garlic and butter; process for 10 seconds. Scrape down sides of work bowl; add remaining ingredients and continue processing until smooth.
5. Oil a 500ml (2 cup) mould or small bowl. Pack placenta mixture into mould. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or as long as you can bear to wait.
6. Turn paté out of mould and serve with assorted crackers. Such as your friends.

Serves 1 (you). You're starving right? After all you did all the hard work.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
erimir (03-27-2011), Shelli (11-22-2008), Watser? (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 PM
silky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count View Post

Hi, crunchy mama signing in. :cool:
Yay!

Quote:
*Our 3yo daughter is not vaccinated. It is a matter of risk assessment. I feel that the greater risk for our child lies with vaccinating.
This is our risk assessment for our family. Yours may be different and that's cool.
Who performs the risk assessment?

Quote:
But I am still a hippy! :P
I love 'Shine' that is adorable.

Quote:
*Our daughter self weaned just before her 3rd birthday. I would have allowed her access to breastmilk for as long as she felt she needed it.
I don't get skivved out at 3 or 4 or 5 years old nursing when there is actually milk. What makes me raise an eyebrow and throw up in my mouth a bit is the 7 or 8 year olds that suck on their mom's milkless tits, the Mom's readily admit they haven't had milk for sometime now.

In many of the posts, it's all about the Mom's emotional needs and how sad she is when the nursing relationship (finally) ends - they get a tattoo to commemorate it etc... They admit they are depressed that their child isn't nursing anymore, even though they know there is no milk. :chin:

As for your other points, you sound like a normal person/good Mom, not a whackadoo. I'm surprised you scored so high with the toilet paper thing. :D

Did you have your baby at home or in Hospital? Did you have an ultrasound? Would you go to a doctor if you or your child was sick? Do you have a flushing toilet in your house? Your whole post sounds completely moderate, nothing militant and off the grid at all.

Speaking of off the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd
I certainly don't think it's worth fainting over.
I do :vapours: their poor kids, living in a shed in the woods, shitting on sawdust :eek:

I don't care how bad the economy is, they are romanticizing their rustic getaway-from-reality shed from watching little house on the prarie. Yes the economy is bad but how about *gasp* Mom gets a job too? or Dad takes a second one? :idea:

JoeP! :hungry: was that really your X Bar post?? :rofl:
Old 11-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Solipsist

Not quite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Dammit, I accidentally wasted my :xbar: post in the countdown thread.

Good trying everyone but you failed to tempt or trick me into posting until I was ready. Which is now.

Thanks, from:
Legs (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Sorry Count, you are pretty crunchy, but not wacko.
Thanks, from:
Count (11-22-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:18 PM
That's Count Von Count to you!

Location: With the beach bums, hippies and bogans. I fit right in.

Quote:

Quote:
*Our 3yo daughter is not vaccinated. It is a matter of risk assessment. I feel that the greater risk for our child lies with vaccinating.
This is our risk assessment for our family. Yours may be different and that's cool.
Who performs the risk assessment?
We do. We know her best and I bet my left milkless titty I have done more research on vaccinations than your average GP. We know where she hangs out and who with. We are in the best position to judge how risky her lifestyle is.

Quote:
I love 'Shine' that is adorable.
Why thank you! :giggle:

Quote:
Quote:
*Our daughter self weaned just before her 3rd birthday. I would have allowed her access to breastmilk for as long as she felt she needed it.
I don't get skivved out at 3 or 4 or 5 years old nursing when there is actually milk. What makes me raise an eyebrow and throw up in my mouth a bit is the 7 or 8 year olds that suck on their mom's milkless tits, the Mom's readily admit they haven't had milk for sometime now.

In many of the posts, it's all about the Mom's emotional needs and how sad she is when the nursing relationship (finally) ends - they get a tattoo to commemorate it etc... They admit they are depressed that their child isn't nursing anymore, even though they know there is no milk. :chin:
Nah, see I disagree with you there. Breastfeeding is important, and it does meet all kinds of needs for the child, not just nutritional needs. Having breastfed for a total period of 6+ years, I can assure you that there isn't much there to offer Mama. It is often irritating, tedious, monotonous and about as sexually stimulating as Pavarotti's arse crack. If you value breastfeeding highly, then it is reasonable to expect a degree of sadness when the child weans. I value it highly and I do feel a little sad that Shine no longer feeds. Not because I want my booby sucked, but because I know how good it is for her. And I didn't wean her at 3 so that other people wouldn't be grossed out. She decided she didn't want to feed any more. I was sad.

If you sexualise a 7 year old dry nursing than yep, it's icky. But I doubt very much the mama or the child are sexualising it. Rather, I would imagine that one is offering comfort and the other receiving it. The only thing that makes that icky is society's focus on breasts as sexy (unless you're sovereign, in which case budding nipples will suffice). The primary function of breasts is lactation. It's fucking awesome that they have other functions as well :lecher: but that doesn't detract from the fact that we have them to nurse with.

Quote:
As for your other points, you sound like a normal person/good Mom, not a whackadoo. I'm surprised you scored so high with the toilet paper thing. :D

Did you have your baby at home or in Hospital? Did you have an ultrasound? Would you go to a doctor if you or your child was sick? Do you have a flushing toilet in your house? Your whole post sounds completely moderate, nothing militant and off the grid at all.
Oh damn, really?! I'm going to have to have another kid just to eat the placenta and breastfeed until it's 21 just to hang on to my crunchy cred. :giggle:
But seriously, I'd wager that most alternative parents are more like us, with perhaps a few eccentricities thrown in. Stereotypes like the ones presented in this thread just make it harder for normal parents like us to raise our kids without being criticised/mocked/condemned for doing what we feel is best for our kids.
I had all my babies in a hospital, although I totally regret that and would never birth in a hospital again. I also had ultrasounds, although that was a difficult decision to make. Due to an anecdotal subjective experience, I decided to go ahead and have the scans. My sister's little boy would have died unexpectedly at home had she not known in advance that he had an incurable and almost always fatal heart condition - he died aged 6 days but she was prepared for it. Other women don't share my anecdata and I can see why (and fully support their decision) not to have medical scanning performed.
And yep,if the children are sick we will take them to the doctor. However, we do try hippy bollocks first and usually that is enough to get them better. I have a healthy distrust of doctors and use their information in addition to other more alternative treatments. And yes, we must be totally mainstream because we have not one, not two but three flushing dunnies! :eek: The third one is in the totally live-able shed out the back. :cool:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlokd
I certainly don't think it's worth fainting over.
I do :vapours: their poor kids, living in a shed in the woods, shitting on sawdust :eek:

I don't care how bad the economy is, they are romanticizing their rustic getaway-from-reality shed from watching little house on the prarie. Yes the economy is bad but how about *gasp* Mom gets a job too? or Dad takes a second one? :idea:
Meh. Maybe it's not common where you live but it is pretty bloody normal and do-able here. We live in a reasonably newish area, where the norm is people buy cheap blocks of land, whack a shed up and make it liveable and then live on-site while they scrape up the funds and build a proper house. There's some awesome sheds around here. :giggle: As mentioned above, we have one complete with bathroom, ceiling fans, lights and insulation foam blocking up all the cracks. We have never lived in it (we rent) but it's honestly not worth fainting over.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Sorry Count, you are pretty crunchy, but not wacko.
I'm really going to have to try harder! I wanna be wacko! :P
I've breastfed someone else's kid, does that make me wacko? Oh, I know! I very nearly breastfed my own brother*, that's gotta make you squirm?

And I have been vegetarian from birth, as have my children. Am I wacko yet? :cool:

*I'm 30 years older than he is. When he was born his sugar levels were low. In order to avoid having formula contaminate the delicate balance of his gut flora, his mum wanted him to have some breastmilk but hers wasn't in yet. I would have breastfed him but his sugar levels stabilised.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Okay, Count, here's the real test of nutso vs. crunchy: do you like the forced breastfeeding and placenta smilies?

If the answer is yes, UR CRAZEH!1
Thanks, from:
Shelli (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Solipsist

Vegetarianism's pretty mainstream now, sorry. Breastfeeding your brother - well now - but given the reason (to address a specific issue, not for crunchy ideology) - that sounds cool and sweetly wholesome, not crunchy.

You're gonna need to cook with breast milk or placenta.

:hugcount: :countglomp:

... and bug liv for some smilies.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post
Okay, Count, here's the real test of nutso vs. crunchy: do you like the forced breastfeeding and placenta smilies?

Hah, I win! I not only like them but had them on a forum I used to co-admin! :giggle:

Ok, I lie. I've never seen the placenta one until this thread but have no objection to it. A real placenta looks far far ickier and I reckon you should make a more accurate smiley - it needs to resemble a big gooey bleeding cabbage. :D
But I wasn't lying about the breastfeeding one and anyone that has ever breastfed a toddler will see the accuracy in the fidgeting flailing child. It's just what they do. I'm not so sure about the winking. Maybe daddy is in the foreground and mummy is saying "you're next, Big Boy!":wink:
JoeP (11-22-2008), Seven of Nine (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Vegetarianism's pretty mainstream now, sorry.
Yeah, maybe now. But I've been vego for 31 years, that's gotta count for sumpin' right?!
JoeP (11-22-2008), Seven of Nine (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Does this look sordid to anyone? It's a toddler, breastfeeding!!!111!11tenplusone!1!! I know it's not going to upset/shock anyone, I just really wanted to show off my gorgeous girl and get mah titties on the interwebz. :cool:

She's wearing leopard print people, I am so bloody crunchy it's not funny! Validate me, dagnammit! :giggle:
Old 11-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by livius drusus View Post

Hah, I win! I not only like them but had them on a forum I used to co-admin! :giggle:

Ok, I lie. I've never seen the placenta one until this thread but have no objection to it. A real placenta looks far far ickier and I reckon you should make a more accurate smiley - it needs to resemble a big gooey bleeding cabbage. :D
But I wasn't lying about the breastfeeding one and anyone that has ever breastfed a toddler will see the accuracy in the fidgeting flailing child. It's just what they do. I'm not so sure about the winking. Maybe daddy is in the foreground and mummy is saying "you're next, Big Boy!":wink:
CRAZEH!1111 :shakecount:
Thanks, from:
Count (11-22-2008), Seven of Nine (11-23-2008), Shelli (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Not as smart as Adam

I think Count addressed the shed question well enough. It isn't uncommon here which is why I couldn't understand the overreaction to something I see as fairly normal and typical. As for sawdust toilets, they're quite in vogue in places without running water. Or places with limited water, like drought afflicted areas.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 PM
silky...

Hi Count, thanks for your responses, there is just nothing you can say to make yourself sound like a whackadoo, you simply are not one :nope:

You don't have to explain the trials and tribulations of breastfeeding to me, I'm a mom who breastfed my DD. No where in my post (or thoughts) did I suggest the mom's were getting anything sexual out of it just having some emotional need filled, perhaps wanting to be the centre of their childs universe? I dunno. You would have to read some of the posts, like the one who lets her 8 year old son suck for 15 seconds every 2 weeks or so and she hasn't had milk in years. I'm not basing my general opinion on one specific person, just a collection of posts/posters that I consider over the top.

The shed thing, taking your kids from society to go live in a shed off the grid if just weird (to me.) A summer holiday, sure, a temporary adventure, okay but as an permanent alternative lifestyle I think it's weird, then again, I'm a city gurl. I would like to understand how being homeschooled by mom in a shack with no interaction with other kids is going to encourage a bright future, strong social skills a preparedness for the 'real world'. All my opinion of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:35 PM

But again, I disagree. I don't think mothers breastfeed to fill their own need. I think generally, they believe that the need lies within the child. Perhaps they are misguided, although I don't think so. But they usually act in what they perceive to be in the best interests of the child.
If a mother feels her son needs to be comforted by dry suckling, I would argue that the child has an emotional need that needs to be addressed in other ways but it doesn't necessarily mean allowing the child to suckle is sordid and wrong. If it were me in that position, I would try to work out where this need stems from and address it. I can't say I would encourage breastfeeding at 8yo but that's based on my experience with my children.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

I wouldn't be surprised if it had some strange effects on a child's sexuality to be suckling his mother's breast at age 8.

I mean, that in itself doesn't have to be a sexual act for it to have effects on the child's sexuality.

I don't know if it has bad effects...
Thanks, from:
Shelli (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 PM
silky...

erimir, they don't do it in public and the child is admonished not to tell anyone about it, not to mention it to friends or to teachers or even to extended family.

IMO the Mom is abusing her son at that point.

To me, no milk = no nursing, there are other ways to comfort a child, how about a hug?
Shelli (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 10:51 PM

Yeah, the secretive aspect would also be a reason to think it's not completely harmless.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Not as smart as Adam

Could they be admonished not to mention it because of society's sexualisation of the breast? We live in a world where mothers are castigated for breastfeeding newborns in public. Where parents are made to feel guilty of their every decision just so they'll buy the latest product from Nestle or Johnson and Johnson. Because goshdarnit, parents just aren't good enough. You need scientists and doctors to raise your baby for you.

I wouldn't do it, but unless someone can present empirical evidence that the child is being traumatised by it I'm not going to jump on the ZOMG! Abuse! bandwagon.
JoeP (11-23-2008), Shelli (11-23-2008), Watser? (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 PM
silky...

It's just opinions, not evidence. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about it. I think it was Bey who touched on it earlier with how many 3rd world nations around the world BF their kids to 7, 8, 9, 10 years of age?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 PM

I sucked my thumb for a very long time. I learned in the first grade not to tell anyone because they'd make fun of me.

I imagine the mother was thinking of the public reaction when she urged the child to keep the dry-nursing a secret.
Count (11-22-2008), Deadlokd (11-22-2008), erimir (11-22-2008), Seven of Nine (11-23-2008), Shelli (11-23-2008), Watser? (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 PM

I know why they would feel the need to keep it a secret. But that doesn't mean that it's completely harmless either.

I haven't claimed that there are definitely any bad effects, I'm just saying that there is cause to wonder. I certainly don't think it's anything that you can claim with certainty that it's not only not bad, but positively good for the child to nurse til the age of 6-8.
Thanks, from:
Shelli (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
I know why they would feel the need to keep it a secret. But that doesn't mean that it's completely harmless either.

I haven't claimed that there are definitely any bad effects, I'm just saying that there is cause to wonder. I certainly don't think it's anything that you can claim with certainty that it's not only not bad, but positively good for the child to nurse til the age of 6-8.
Yep, I kinda agree, at least in part. I guess other factors need to be considered to work out how much, if any, damage is being inflicted on the child by dry-nursing at that age. And because we don't know the factors, we just have to trust that the mother knows her child well enough to decide what is best for him. I have a 6 year old son. I wouldn't offer him my breast because I know him, I know he has no need for it, nutritionally or emotionally, and it is unnecessary. I don't think it would damage him but it may make him giggle. :giggle:
Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Dogehlaugher -Scrutari

I feel I may be outing my aunt some what, but she did breastfeed her daughter until her daughter was about 7 or 8. Although my aunt says, "not much the last three years."
It may seem less sexual to breast feed daughters for the mainstream.
So I've not got a problem with extended nursing. Her father claims it's why she is so tall (for our family) and healthy.
Her brother nursed four about 2 years and had bad asthma as a child.

I've read in anthropology class years ago, that nursing until 7 is not out of the norm for some children in some cultures.
Thanks, from:
Shelli (11-23-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
silky...

I don't have any problem with extended nursing either, 4,5 etc... especially when there is actually milk!

Freethought Forum > The Amphitheater > The Smiliedome