Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law

Old 10-23-2023, 08:33 PM
angry white woman

Default Re: 2024 Presidential Election Shittastic Shittacular

Just out of a courtesy or general information, I am not going to be engaging much from this point forward. Not because I feel I cannot hold my own with you lot, but because I haven’t got the time, and more importantly, the wherewithal to keep up. I’d really like to, but it’s true, and has been obvious to all of you, I am not able to articulate myself as I used to. In other words, I am going to stop wasting my time. As very much well as AS YOURS

I do enjoy visiting this place though. I like you lot. Or at least most of you anyways.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:02 PM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

If this were Biden, Shel would post about how Joe Biden is forgetting how to read and write because of his dementia.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (10-23-2023), Miss Shelby (10-24-2023), slimshady2357 (10-24-2023), Sock Puppet (10-24-2023), Stephen Maturin (10-24-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 11:36 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

hey i am all for people learning to read at any age
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Old 10-23-2023, 11:46 PM
liar in wolf's clothing

Well...has anyone ever thought of that before?

Along those lines: https://www.mediaite.com/politics/tr...ed-four-times/

Quote:
Fumbling somewhat, Trump continued, “We did nothing wrong. This is all Biden, indictments and impeachments and this is all about Biden, he can’t do anything right. The only thing they know how to do is cheat in elections and election fraud. This is all by himself.”

“All of these indictments that you see. I was never indicted. Practically never heard the word. It wasn’t a word that registered,” Trump concluded.
It wasn't a word that registered. Not like person, woman, man, camera, TV, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shelby View Post
Just out of a courtesy or general information, I am not going to be engaging much from this point forward. Not because I feel I cannot hold my own with you lot, but because I haven’t got the time, and more importantly, the wherewithal to keep up.
sounds like dementia?
Thanks, from:
erimir (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:55 AM
angry white woman

Yea quite possibly early dementia. Or, it used to take me a huge chunk of time to read everything here, then look into it and give a non rambling reply. I can’t do that anymore. My priorities are different. I drive by read and post and it’s not productive.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:28 AM

Yet more senility from Biden. Now he can't even remember that Orban is the leader of Hungary, not Turkey.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:10 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

honestly, i didn't, because it seems pretty normal to me for people to get names mixed up occasionally.

on the other hand, it is very much Trump's thing to think highly of Orban.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:01 AM

Well, yes.

It's reasonable to mess up names sometimes.

But the reason you would know is knowing that *I* wouldn't be posting a thing like that as sufficient evidence of Biden having dementia.

Anyone who is on camera unscripted for hours and hours every year is going to accumulate a lot of bloopers.

The only evidence that would be interesting (dependent on a proper study design!) would be the frequency over appearance time with some comparison to an average, or change over time (in the case of Trump and Biden, both of whom have made unscripted public appearances for decades, it would be possible to make such a comparison).

But that requires actual work, and it's much easier to cherry pick five short clips or something like that.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:27 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

before i read the spoiler i just assumed it was going to be sarcastic, like Biden saying a perfectly normal thing.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:18 PM
Admin

In his defense, the thought of turkey makes me hungary. :rimshot:

Anyway, as the only resident fanboy I'm going to say one last thing about Cornel West (until I decide to say something else) and that is this: I know he is not a grifter. He is many things, but not a grifter. At least not in the sense of doing what he does for money. I swear the man only has one suit, for starters. And he hasn't been to a barber in decades. No way he cares about money. On the other hand, in the many, many hours of speeches and interviews of his I have watched over the past few years I cannot think of a single time he has not spoken about the importance of standing (and speaking) up for "precious Palestinian brothers and sisters", "precious gay, lesbian, and trans brothers and sisters", "precious agnostic and atheist brothers and sisters", etc.

Is there one politician, whatever party, you can say that about? There is not one. The squad and some of the progressive caucus might say some or all of these things from time to time, but every single time they are in front of a hot mic? No. I think that is powerfully important. Of course he always condemns gross inequality and injustice, too, and the military-industrial complex as a whole. But I'm not sure how important that is since anyone who isn't rich or evil has probably arrived at that conclusion all on their own.

I don't think Cornel should have thrown his hat in the ring for President. I think his decision to do so was a combination of moral exhaustion, political ignorance, and a flash of narcissism sparked by the flattery of being asked to run, and ever since he made that poor decision he has been trying to find a way out that saves face and doesn't betray his conscience. That's just my belief based on everything I've heard and read from him in the past few years. Obviously I could be completely wrong.

I think it's somewhat silly to even post this in this thread because I genuinely do not see a way (barring something miraculous) that his candidacy, while it persists, will have any impact on the 2024 election. I am unambiguously in favor of the Democrats winning despite their many shortcomings.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-24-2023), Ensign Steve (10-24-2023), JoeP (10-25-2023), mickthinks (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 06:49 PM

Cornel West has made enough money to owe the IRS ~$500k in unpaid taxes. He is not a man with no money.

He has an aesthetic, but the notion that he doesn't care about money can't be supported simply on the basis of him not wearing high-end suits. That is a choice, he clearly makes enough money to afford them.

He's on the board of the Classic Learning Test (notice the types of schools that use it - Liberty University and similar). This is probably related to his defense of Ron DeSantis earlier this year - because DeSantis is making the CLT a test that Florida public universities have to accept.

I mean, I don't know how much compensation he gets from the CLT for being on the board, but promoting what appears to be a right-wing Christian project to the point of defending Ron DeSantis when it happens to benefit an organization he's on the board of doesn't fill me with confidence that financial considerations are irrelevant here. And the bit with Harlan Crow doesn't help either.

So I don't share your confidence that his ethics are unimpeachable. Perhaps if Cornel West wants to release his tax returns, which is the standard that we've held Democratic presidential candidates to, we could examine his financial interests and maybe there's nothing there. But it's not like Cornel West is Joe Biden and has been investigated to death - I can have confidence in my evaluation of Biden, it's not based on vibes. I don't really have much idea of what Cornel West's financial entanglements are.
Thanks, from:
ChuckF (10-24-2023), Crumb (10-24-2023), mickthinks (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 11:14 PM
angry white woman

Seebs I cannot with you. You want me to prove in words Biden forgot about the pandemic when you can CLEARLY see he is unmasked and sucking on a baby?
Old 10-24-2023, 11:25 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
If this were Biden, Shel would post about how Joe Biden is forgetting how to read and write because of his dementia.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trump: You know how you spell ‘us,’ right? You spell us u-s. I just picked that up. Has anyone ever thought of that before? I just picked that up. A couple of days, I’m reading, and it said ‘us’ <a href="https://t.co/BcSYoShtJe">pic.twitter.com/BcSYoShtJe</a></p>&mdash; Biden-Harris HQ (@BidenHQ) <a href="https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1716548767350984944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 23, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Oh ha ha. I suppose everyone is gonna call me Shel now?

The difference, er, is I’m some housewife / working woman on the internet. I fly WAY below the radar. The leader of the free world does not. BUT i sure would love some handlers. That would be so nice and now , THANK YOU, I’m fantasizing over something unattainable.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:27 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Look we've explained this before, Vampires and Ghouls can't be affected by viruses or toxins while imbibing pure baby life essences. It's just science.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-25-2023), Miss Shelby (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 11:32 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Look we've explained this before, Vampires and Ghouls can't be affected by viruses or toxins
BUT, can they pass them along? If wouldn’t surprise me if Sleepy Joe slept in a coffin all day.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:02 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Quote:
Seebs I cannot with you. You want me to prove in words Biden forgot about the pandemic when you can CLEARLY see he is unmasked and sucking on a baby?
Okay, first off, I haven't seen that. Like, you apparently saw it, so it's in your mind, but I never saw it and don't know anything about it. Second, when exactly was this? Because once vaccines came out, a lot of people thought masks were much less necessary, and that doesn't mean they forgot, just that they were under the impression that the risk was mostly resolved.

Like, from a public health standpoint, the correct amount of kissing of babies to do is basically zero except for babies you personally live with, because it turns out infectious diseases have been all over the planet forever, and that's been true all along, but politicians have never cared.

But... Like, I genuinely don't think that anyone has "forgotten about" the pandemic, I do think that some people are taking it less seriously than I personally would. But "forgotten about" is a very different claim from "doesn't think the risk is particularly high at this time and in this context".

If you say "here's Joe Biden kissing a baby, on <date>, so even if he's vaccinated, he should know the baby isn't old enough to be safely vaccinated, and anyway the Omicron variant was known to be spreading at that point, he should not have done this", then... yeah I mean I'd probably agree? But if you want to claim he forgot about the pandemic, you have to show that it's "no longer knows about the pandemic" and not "doesn't think this is very risky at this point".
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-25-2023), JoeP (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 04:45 AM
(((The Spartacus of Anatevka)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
Quote:
Okay, first off, I haven't seen that. Like, you apparently saw it, so it's in your mind, but I never saw it and don't know anything about it. Second, when exactly was this? Because once vaccines came out, a lot of people thought masks were much less necessary, and that doesn't mean they forgot, just that they were under the impression that the risk was mostly resolved.

Like, from a public health standpoint, the correct amount of kissing of babies to do is basically zero except for babies you personally live with, because it turns out infectious diseases have been all over the planet forever, and that's been true all along, but politicians have never cared.

But... Like, I genuinely don't think that anyone has "forgotten about" the pandemic, I do think that some people are taking it less seriously than I personally would. But "forgotten about" is a very different claim from "doesn't think the risk is particularly high at this time and in this context".

If you say "here's Joe Biden kissing a baby, on <date>, so even if he's vaccinated, he should know the baby isn't old enough to be safely vaccinated, and anyway the Omicron variant was known to be spreading at that point, he should not have done this", then... yeah I mean I'd probably agree? But if you want to claim he forgot about the pandemic, you have to show that it's "no longer knows about the pandemic" and not "doesn't think this is very risky at this point".
Could be this, reported in April, by Reuters: Video shows Joe Biden kissing senator's baby in Ireland

That was two days after he declared an end to the national emergency declared at the beginning of the pandemic: https://www.npr.org/2023/04/11/11691...onal-emergency
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 06:38 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Okay, and like. I disagree with him? But I don't think he forgot. I think he's a politician and politicians kiss babies and it's sorta fucking stupid but I don't care to die on that hill.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 03:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimir View Post
Cornel West has made enough money to owe the IRS ~$500k in unpaid taxes. He is not a man with no money. [...] the notion that he doesn't care about money[...]
I thought it was obvious I was being facetious about his raggedy suits and hair, of course he has money. He has been famous for decades, has published at least a dozen books, is constantly on lecture tours, teaches at ivy league universities... hell, his Matrix residuals alone are probably more than my salary.

The only serious claim I was making, and which I stick to, is that there is little to no evidence that money is what motivates him to do what he does.

Quote:
So I don't share your confidence that his ethics are unimpeachable.
It's a good thing I never said that, then. I don't think anyone's ethics are unimpeachable. I just don't share your apparent view that his daring to challenge the Democratic party makes him public enemy number one and erases every positive thing he has ever done.

I mean jesus christ, man. I have seen you spill thousands of words criticizing anyone who spits a hint of anti-trans rhetoric, yet, to paraphrase Dr. West, you can't say a mumblin' word of appreciation for a public intellectual who loudly and proudly defends trans rights in every media appearance ever? Really? All because he won't join the blue team? It's wild to me.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:35 PM
God Made Me A Skeptic

If someone will talk loudly about trans rights, then actively try to keep anyone who isn't trying to kill trans people out of power, I think I'm gonna go with "actions speak louder than words". The active spoiler candidates are doing whatever they're doing specifically to try to ensure that the people who want us dead end up in a position to make it happen.
Thanks, from:
erimir (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 08:47 PM

I mean, there are a lot of people with the right opinions on those issues. In particular, there are plenty who haven't praised Ron DeSantis specifically on the issue of education reform while DeSantis is in the middle of trying to ban discussion of LGBT people in school.

What is going on with that CLT thing, you think?

I mean there are a lot of celebrities with the right opinions on this. David Tennant has good opinions on LGBT issues afaik, and I do like him, but in a thread on the US election, he's gonna get a bunch of criticism from me and not much praise if the whole reason he is under discussion is that he's campaigning for RFK Jr!

I've seen plenty of West's TV appearances (I used to watch Bill Maher fairly regularly but he completely went off the deep end during the pandemic, imo) and sure he says he supports a lot of things I do. But I've never found his appearances there all that compelling. Maybe he's more persuasive to a Christian?

I'm not out here calling him an anti-LGBT bigot, but I'm not really sure what having the right opinions is supposed to earn him from me other than recognition that he's theoretically an ally. (In practice, as seebs points out, helping Trump get elected would be very bad for LGBT rights and that is also weighed in my evaluation. And I don't find "he probably will be ineffective at getting votes" or "I think he'll drop out eventually" to be a very good defense of his current campaign.)
Old 10-25-2023, 11:25 PM
angry white woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
Quote:

Yeah. I’m not getting that detailed. He was nibbling on a very young child’s back, with his bare mouth, to the horror of the baby, and sadly to the amusement of her poor ignorant idiotic parents. It was in Sweden or Norway or somewhere and it’s VERY easily found on google. Very easily. I am not putting a ten page essay along with research in to that. You either want to see it or you do not. Whether it be recently post pandemic or not, it’s still disgusting.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:21 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Do you seriously not even see what you're doing here?

Read this more closely:

He was nibbling on a very young child’s back, with his bare mouth, to the horror of the baby, and sadly to the amusement of her poor ignorant idiotic parents.

These words are not actually interchangeable. Are you talking about a baby, or about a young child?

A quick search turns up a bunch of hits on fox news, NY post, and stuff like that (I think those are both Murdoch properties...), and there's about 787 million reasons to think that Fox News will tell lies if they think their viewers want to hear them. The first page or two of search results were full of claims that people on social media were upset about the alleged events, and zero factual reporting saying that this is what happened. I did, however, find lots of sources about a video of him "sniffing" a baby which asserted that the video in question was in fact fake.

So I'm not super inclined to place a lot of weight on this, just because normally when things actually happened, they're reported on by a mix of sites, not just by nutjobs and auto-forwarded copies of those syndicated to other sites.

Anyway, if it's that one, that's June, so long after the official state of emergency was declared over, and I don't think this establishes, at all, that he "forgot" about the pandemic. Like, I personally think people should be taking it more seriously, but the voters have spoken, quite loudly, about how much they want to stop doing masks and stop caring about it, so he's probably sorta gonna go along with that. Which, like. Not my favorite, but it's not evidence at all that he "forgot".

If you want to argue that it's weird behavior, I guess go ahead, but I'd want to see a source that didn't have thousands of pages of documentation of how they thought what they were saying was fake but their audience liked it. Otherwise, all I've got is that people who habitually edit videos and post misleading clips from them claimed a thing happened, and that's not actually compelling enough for me to think it's evidence of anything.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:55 PM
Pontificating Old Fart

Seems to me that all this talk about primaries is way premature.

Historically, the Primaries have generally kicked off the the late winter-Early Spring of the election year.

Of course, the Rethuglicans appear to be in dire straights, already, and may need a lot of extra time to get their shit organized.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:33 PM
THIS IS REALLY ADVANCED ENGLISH

They talk about the next primary before results on fucking election night.

:sockpuppet:...........
Thanks, from:
JoeP (10-27-2023)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > News, Politics & Law