Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 AM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia of Syracuse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
You have never participated in the conversation, not once, except to criticize. You don't impress me Cynthia. Get with the program and maybe I'll give you the time of day, but right now, you're just another anti-Lessans sympathizer who falsely imagines me to be a woo-monger.
I already participated in a conversation with you, on IIDB (registration required). This is just "second verse, same as the first". I'm only here for teh lulz.
Quote:
Cynthia, I can state with confidence that you don't understand his discovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia
You state with confidence many things that aren't true, so one more isn't going to surprise anyone. What's to understand? There is no discovery to be found here. There's whining, pouting, sulking, assertions, illusions, delusions, factual errors, logical errors, grammar errors, grandiosity, narcissism, arrogance, ignorance, and garden-variety stupidity on the part of the author, compounded by the whining, pouting, sulking, assertions, illusions, delusions, factual errors, logical errors, grammar errors, grandiosity, narcissism, arrogance, ignorance, and garden-variety stupidity added by his loving daughter. None of this is anything new or mindblowing, at least not in the intellectual sense. As a case study in the heritability of Dunning-Kruger syndrome it has a certain je ne sais quoi.
This is what is so very sad about this thread; it does appear how you describe because of all the things people have said about him and me. Any newcomer would immediately side with the anti-Lessans haters because they are so overpowering. But in answer to your charges, Lessans never pouted (I'm serious, never once, he wasn't that type), never sulked (I never saw him sulk or feel sorry for himself a day in his life), never made assertions (only astute observations), never had illusions of any kind although he said free will is an illusion, never had delusions of any kind, although he said man was deluded into believing in free will, was not ignorant (what a joke), made no logical errors as far as this book is concerned, had no thoughts of grandiosity; was not narcissistic (this is insane), and was definitely not stupid (if you think making a discovery that can and will better our world stupid, then you better think again). The only thing that there could be are some grammatical errors or typos, which I hope considering the magnitude of this work these small errors can be overlooked. If not, this book is not for you. I admit that I may have sulked, pouted, made some logical errors in trying to explain why the eyes are not a sense organ, but that's about it. This should not be a reason to dismiss this book because most of the accusations are baseless and unfounded, which no one seems to care about.
Quote:
I just went to the archive and it said this part of the archive is not accessible. I logged in so that wasn't the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia
I'm looking at it right now, so I can state with confidence (and more importantly, with evidence) that the problem lies with you.
I don't know what the problem is then. I'll try again but it keeps saying no access to this archive. Maybe they won't allow me to have access to it. Who knows.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-09-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
This woman is so very knowledgeable about this subject matter.
Nothing in the article you linked supports that contention.

Quote:
She has every right to blame her child's disability on vaccines if she believes there was a direct cause and effect association between the time the vaccine was given and her child's reaction to it.
"Believes"? What's this "believes" crap? According to you, she was proffering facts, not beliefs. Please make up your li'l bity mind.

Quote:
Who would spend their entire adult life sharing their story as well as trying to inform others of potential risk factors, if they didn't feel strongly that vaccines were the cause of their child's subsequent health problems?
Here's a prime example of what they used to call Oprahfication, the notion that a viewpoint is automatically entitled to serious consideration just because people "feel strongly" about it. Of course, that's nonsense. A viewpoint's tenability has precisely dick to do with the strength of its adherents' feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I never said the things I said to mean what you thought.
Oh my, you are gibbering uncontrollably. Please put down the alcohol and step away from the computer.

Quote:
It did sound funny, I agree, but that's because the words didn't come out right.
Earlier today you were claiming that you never said it at all.

You're a liar. :wave:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013), LadyShea (09-09-2013), Spacemonkey (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I don't know what the problem is then. I'll try again but it keeps saying no access to this archive. Maybe they won't allow me to have access to it. Who knows.

Maybe the site remembers you?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Whether I'm the draw or not, people don't go to threads and spend hours of their day reading what they consider utter nonsense. I know that people here love to find someone to laugh at, but this is no laughing matter and I think deep down people realize that. If not, they can laugh all they want but I will not be talked down to anymore.

If the book is not a laughing matter why did Lessans write it so idiotically humorous? Amusing as in 'funny incomprehensible'.
I spent many years going over and over the book and making it as comprehensible as possible. Some people will not understand it no matter how it is explained, and that's okay.

But you have never explained it in any meaningful way, it's always "go back and read the book again", or you copy paste from the book.
I have numerous times. If you had paid more attention instead of tell me that he has nothing valuable in just about every one of your posts, maybe you would have understood more.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
Does that mean you're leaving or pretending to leave once again?
If there's no one left to talk to, yes.

Most of the regulars are still here, what will your excuse be then.
Three are on ignore. Soon no one will be left if we keep going at this rate, and then I will leave because I will not take the namecalling anymore. Now LadyShea is on probation for calling me an idiot. If she goes, the conversation will probably die off because she was the only one that participated on a consistent basis.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Well, this is familiar:
1.) peacegirl makes a staggeringly ignorant-- indeed, downright idiotic claim

2.) lots of people point out that it's an idiotic claim -- providing detailed explanations and relevant citations

3.) peacegirl ignores all of that and repeats the claim, insisting that anyone who doesn't accept the idiotic claim is too stupid and/or close-minded to comprehend it

4.) lots of people provide even more detailed explanations of how idiotic the claim is

5.) eventually, it dawns on her that the claim really is idiotic

I ADMIT I MADE A CLAIM THAT WAS INCORRECT. THE REASON I AM WAFFLING IS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT THAT MISSTEP TO BE USED AGAINST LESSANS. HE DIDN'T MAKE THIS CLAIM, I DID, AND HE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR MY MISTAKE.

6.) peacegirl lies brazenly, insisting that she never made any such claim -- and that anyone who says otherwise is a big meanie who is deliberately mis-representing the "discoveries" of Saint Seymour the Infallible

WHY DO YOU MAKE FUN OF ME AND HIM? FOR WHAT REASON OTHER THAN YOU DON'T BELIEVE HE HAS A DISCOVERY SO YOU FEEL JUSTIFIED TO DEFILE HIS MEMORY. YOU WOULD NOT CALL EINSTEIN SAINT ALBERT THE INFALLIBLE, BECAUSE IT'S DOWNRIGHT DISRESPECTFUL, AND YOU KNOW IT.

7.) people quote her own words back to her, demonstrating that she did, indeed, make the idiotic claim

8.) peacegirl has a hissy fit, calls people names, threatens to put people on Pretend Ignore, insists she's being persecuted, and claims that this is the final straw that fit the camel through the eye of a needle and so she's leaving forever

9.) peacegirl waits a whole 5 minutes or so before her next post -- in which she tries to change the topic, desperately hoping that everyone else has as short an attention span and memory as she does

10.) rinse and repeat
THAT MADE ME LAUGH WHEN YOU SAID I WAIT A WHOLE 5 MINUTES UNTIL MY NEXT POST. :laugh: :lmao: BUT IT IS GETTING CLOSE TO THE FINAL STRAW; I AM NOT TALKING TO THREE PEOPLE ANYMORE. WE'RE COMING DOWN TO THE WIRE UNLESS NEW PEOPLE SHOW AN INTEREST.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

You're incapable of leaving. :wave:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
a lot of interesting conversation that could have taken place will not. I'm sure people have left and will continue to leave because of them and others like them. I don't consider this type of free speech a premium at all because the quality is lost.

Just what interesting conversation could have taken place that was more interesting than watching you dodge and evade questions and comments about the book. The most interesting part of this thread has been what everyone else has posted to correct the fantasy from you and your father.
That might have been a good lulz for you, but the truth is if you had kept an open mind and tried to understood the significance of this book and what it means for the benefit of our world, you would have gotten much more out of this thread. It's too late for that now.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
The woman who wrote that particular article, Barbara Loe Fisher, is a parent of a child with disabilities and blames vaccines. She has no training or expertise in epidemiology or immunology or public health or anything. I don't see why one should automatically conclude she is stating objective facts.
You are totally out the door LadyShea; you deny anything that doesn't suit your fancy because you love to argue for the sake of argument, even when there is solid evidence staring you in the face. This woman is so very knowledgeable about this subject matter. She has every right to blame her child's disability on vaccines if she believes there was a direct cause and effect association between the time the vaccine was given and her child's reaction to it. Who would spend their entire adult life sharing their story as well as trying to inform others of potential risk factors, if they didn't feel strongly that vaccines were the cause of their child's subsequent health problems? She is also very careful to back up everything she says with statistics.
All the statics in the article back up the benefits of having as many people vaccinated as possible. Feelings and belief should not outweigh hard evidence, and the evidence points to the benefits of vaccination. Peacegirl did you even read beyond the headline.
I watched all three videos, did you? What article are you talking about?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...exemption.aspx

Last edited by peacegirl; 09-09-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And I never used the term internet checkers. Maturin did in his typical condescending way.
You did say Internet Checkers, idiot
Freethought Forum - View Single Post - A revolution in thought

Quote:
So this is not an accurate definition? Aren't there internet checkers who make sure these definitions are correct, or remove them altogether if they are no longer used? My goodness, how else can we know for sure of anything? We would be spending an enormous amount of time checking up on the honesty and integrity of every person we ever meet. I'm not willing to do that. I have to trust some sources and take my chances.
You're the idiot LadyShea. Please look in the mirror!! :yup:
I am not the one claiming I never said things I absolutely said. That would be you.
You said you "never used the term internet checkers" despite having used the term. That was my point
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The woman who wrote that particular article, Barbara Loe Fisher, is a parent of a child with disabilities and blames vaccines. She has no training or expertise in epidemiology or immunology or public health or anything. I don't see why one should automatically conclude she is stating objective facts.
You are totally out the door LadyShea; you deny anything that doesn't suit your fancy because you love to argue for the sake of argument, even when there is solid evidence staring you in the face. This woman is so very knowledgeable about this subject matter. She has every right to blame her child's disability on vaccines if she believes there was a direct cause and effect association between the time the vaccine was given and her child's reaction to it. Who would spend their entire adult life sharing their story as well as trying to inform others of potential risk factors, if they didn't feel strongly that vaccines were the cause of their child's subsequent health problems? She is also very careful to back up everything she says with statistics.
She has an extreme anti-vaccine bias and all of her "knowledge" is filtered through that. There is no reason to assume she is stating facts.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:
...if you had kept an open mind and tried to understood the significance of this book and what it means for the benefit of our world, you would have gotten much more out of this thread. It's too late for that now.
peacegirl, you could save a lot of time by making the above your signature.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
According to the Bible, God loves every person unconditionally; that doesn't mean he is proud of everything they do. That last sentence was for Angakuk.
We were talking about respect. Love and respect are not equivalent terms.

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, but who's counting? Jesus didn't count how many times it took for someone to get it right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
And your authority for this claim is?
The Bible.
Book, chapter and verse, please.

Quote:
Quote:
Any other discussion is irrelevant if you can't give me the respect I deserve.
Quote:
Quote:
You are getting every bit of respect that you deserve, and then some.
I think not. You are not God so you are not in the position to tell me what I deserve and what I don't. God gives respect to everyone, even the prostitute and the leper, remember?
Quote:
I agree. I am not some totally impersonal law of the universe and never claimed to be one. BTW, how does a totally impersonal law of the universe go about giving respect? What would that look like?
Through man's actions, which proves God (or for the benefit of the atheists, a mathematical revelation) a reality.
By this reasoning when people do not show respect for others then it follows that God also does not respect them.

Quote:
Okay, she mentioned the disease which was not even what was under discussion. You're right, I didn't read carefully. So what. I never said I was perfect, and for people to think that this mistake makes the entire book a mistake is the most illogical form of reasoning I have yet to encounter.
No one here has used that form of reasoning.
LadyShea (09-09-2013), The Lone Ranger (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Three are on ignore. Soon no one will be left if we keep going at this rate, and then I will leave because I will not take the name calling anymore. Now LadyShea is on probation for calling me an idiot. If she goes, the conversation will probably die off because she was the only one that participated on a consistent basis.
We all know about your 'pretend ignore' and that you only respond when you are feeling particularly threatened. We also know that you crave the negative attention and the name calling because it reinforces your martyr complex.
LadyShea (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And I never used the term internet checkers. Maturin did in his typical condescending way.

Quote:
So this is not an accurate definition? Aren't there internet checkers who make sure these definitions are correct, or remove them altogether if they are no longer used? My goodness, how else can we know for sure of anything? We would be spending an enormous amount of time checking up on the honesty and integrity of every person we ever meet. I'm not willing to do that. I have to trust some sources and take my chances.
I am not the one claiming I never said things I absolutely said. That would be you.
You said you "never used the term internet checkers" despite having used the term. That was my point
No, your point was to find any reason to call me "idiot" so you could make me look bad. You and everyone else have done so well in this regard that there is no possible way that a serious discussion could take place. If you look back 3/4 of the posts are from angry namecalling people who have twisted everything I have ever written into something unrecognizable.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
No, your point was to find any reason to call me "idiot" so you could make me look bad.
Backwards. I rarely call you names straight up like that, only when it's something really bad. This one was such an egregious lie though. How could you forget Internet Checkers after the huge deal that got made about it?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Three are on ignore. Soon no one will be left if we keep going at this rate, and then I will leave because I will not take the name calling anymore. Now LadyShea is on probation for calling me an idiot. If she goes, the conversation will probably die off because she was the only one that participated on a consistent basis.
We all know about your 'pretend ignore' and that you only respond when you are feeling particularly threatened. We also know that you crave the negative attention and the name calling because it reinforces your martyr complex.
There you go again without even a slight pause. You can't stop with the negative posts, which is why you've gotten nothing from this thread. You've made your bed, now you must lie in it.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
No, your point was to find any reason to call me "idiot" so you could make me look bad.
Backwards. I rarely call you names straight up like that, only when it's something really bad. This one was such an egregious lie though. How could you forget Internet Checkers after the huge deal that got made about it?
Egregious lie? That sounds like I purposely lied under oath in a murder trial. Boy can you exaggerate LadyShea!

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
She has an extreme anti-vaccine bias and all of her "knowledge" is filtered through that. There is no reason to assume she is stating facts.
So don't assume. Find out LadyShea before you bash her efforts to help people become more informed so they can make an informed choice. Isn't that what you regard so highly? Researching the facts?

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe the site remembers you?
There definitely is a way to block people, so maybe they did this because they didn't want me resuming the conversation. I tried again and it didn't work. It says you do not have access to this archive.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
There you go again without even a slight pause. You can't stop with the negative posts...
Well that is what you come here for, so you should be thanking us for giving you exactly what you want.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegirl
She has every right to blame her child's disability on vaccines if she believes there was a direct cause and effect association between the time the vaccine was given and her child's reaction to it.
Indeed: and I have every right to blame the appearance of new babies on my wife's eating of pickles if I "believe there is a direct cause and effect association between the time (?) she eats pickles and the appearance of new family members".

But since I have no evidence that shows that one causes the other, I would be wrong to make that assumption, no matter how much I believe it. It is called a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2013), LadyShea (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Egregious lie? That sounds like I purposely lied under oath in a murder trial. Boy can you exaggerate LadyShea!
Only a histrionic such as yourself -with your imaginings of book burnings, witch hunts, and crucifixions- would find the word egregious so over the top as to bring to mind murder trials.

Jeez, who is the exaggerator?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Anyroad - hows the book-marketing? Last time I checked, the situation was as follows:

Results:

Books sold: 0
People convinced: 0
Estimated date of revolution: unspecified time after we are all dead.
Amount of crow eaten by detractors: 0 crows.

Enablers:

Meaningful changes made to marketing approach: 0
Meaningful changes made to website: 0
Skills acquired to market book: 0
Time spent acquiring relevant skills: 0
Time spent on relevant tasks: 0

Tasks achieved this week:

Read some stuff on the internet
Posted on the freethought forum about how I am not talking to people anymore and how they are all biased.

So, whats changed this week?
Thanks, from:
Adam (09-09-2013), Spacemonkey (09-09-2013), Stephen Maturin (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
And let's not forget: You didn't just say "I don't remember using that term" or even "I never used that term" you went on to accuse Maturin of having coined the term maliciously. That's pretty flagrant. So get right the fuck over yourself on that one.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy