Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Default Re: A revolution in thought

:richardnixon:

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
davidm (08-15-2013), LadyShea (08-16-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Even though other people said that this was not Schopenhauer's quote, I didn't listen until I heard it from you Maturin. I actually should have a monument built for you. Isn't that what you want? I know you would love that; you would finally feel good enough.

It's so sad to me because you are already good enough, but you don't believe it. Your responses are defensive to such a degree that I know you are suffering inside. I know you will come back with such venom that people will project this anger onto me. I cannot do anything about that, only interpret what God is telling me to say.
In this I agree with Peacegirl, that Maturin should have a monument erected for him and he should start posing for it now. (That way he wouldn't be posting so much.)

Wasn't it Peacegirl who railed at everyone for psychoanalyzing others on the forum, or perhaps she is claiming that God has a license to practice psychiatry?
davidm (08-15-2013), Stephen Maturin (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Any monument to Maturin must include the mashed potatoes.
Adam (08-15-2013), davidm (08-15-2013), Stephen Maturin (08-15-2013), thedoc (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Just what is that stuff on the mashed taters, anyhow?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-15-2013), Stephen Maturin (08-15-2013), thedoc (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post

Just what is that stuff on the mashed taters, anyhow?

? ? ? ? ? - Maturin ?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

These recent posts are making me all nostalgic 'n' shit. Does this thread have any party-worthy milestones coming up any time soon? I think it's about time to reintroduce President Johnson to the mashed potatoes.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm Deplorable.

If the 30458th post is worthy, I'd say "go for it". and Peacegirl hasn't posted for 9+ hours?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Why didn't you listen when others told you the quote was apocryphal and/or misattributed?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I see it is business as usual in this thread!

Also, that Maturin is apparently a ball of self-loathing hatred and toxic internalized rage. I am sure he cries himself to sleep every night, twisting and writhing in his sweaty sheets as he tries desperately to control the broiling mass of conflicting emotions deep inside, and that he wakes up in the night regularly with a shout of "Damn you Lessans! Why can you not be a bit less Mathematical!!!" on his lips. And then after a few scant hours of sleep he drags himself through his days, haunted by just how undeniable and scientific it all is, until he finally gives in to the dirty, dirty pleasure of posting some more of his vitriol in here.

Amazingly, this terrible syndrome is incredibly common. Out of a half-dozen random people, only Peacegirl seems immune to it. There is not a single person on this thread other than Peacegirl who is not stuffed to the very brim with fear, confusion, roiling self-hatred and dark brooding loathing, it seems!

This book has apparently driven so many people to the brink that it makes the Necronomicon look like Readers Digest. But then again, when it comes to inspiring violently psychopathic outbursts of rage and loathing, I suppose readers digest could itself be used to set the standard.
Thanks, from:
Adam (08-16-2013), Angakuk (08-16-2013), ceptimus (08-16-2013), ChristinaM (08-16-2013), LadyShea (08-16-2013), Stephen Maturin (08-16-2013), thedoc (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Why didn't you listen when others told you the quote was apocryphal and/or misattributed?
I think because at first I was surprised how many times and how many places it was misattributed. It just goes to show how the internet can spread misinformation. After Maturin brought it up again I started to research the quote and I found where it gave Schopenhauer's original quote. It didn't say "a truth passes in three stages", so I decided to put the accurate quote in and include the interpretation. I owe it to you and David also for correcting me on this one.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 PM

This makes you not want to eat at McDonalds ever again!

McDonald's Chicken McNuggets found to contain mysterious fibers, hair-like structures; Natural News Forensic Food Lab posts research photos, video

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 PM

The actual quote is not nearly as sexy to pseusoscience and woos

Quote:
To Schopenhauer is often attributed another quote about the stages of truth; see below.The next oldest citation of the “stages of truth” quote is located in an 1866 paper of the German embryologist Karl Ernst von Baer (1792–1876). Von Baer wrote [34, p. 92]Deswegen sagt Agassiz, dass wenn eine neue Lehre vorgebracht w¨urde, sie dreiStadien durchzumachen habe; zuerst sage man, sie sei nicht wahr, dann, sie seigegen die Religion, und im dritten Stadium, sie sei l¨angst bekannt gewesen.which I translate as follows:Therefore Agassiz says, when a new doctrine is proposed, it goes through threestages. First, people say it is not true; then, that it is against religion; and in the third stage, that it was long known.

Agassiz, of course, was Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz, the Swiss-American naturalist.However, I have not been able to find this passage in any of Agassiz’s writings. Von Baer’s use of the quotation was popularized by Stephen Jay Gould and Niles Eldredge in support of their theory of punctuated equilibrium
Science, Pseudoscience, and The Three Stages of Truth | Jeffrey Shallit - Academia.edu
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013), thedoc (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

Quote:
To Schopenhauer is often attributed another quote about the stages of truth; see below.The next oldest citation of the “stages of truth” quote is located in an 1866 paper of the German embryologist Karl Ernst von Baer (1792–1876). Von Baer wrote [34, p. 92]Deswegen sagt Agassiz, dass wenn eine neue Lehre vorgebracht w¨urde, sie dreiStadien durchzumachen habe; zuerst sage man, sie sei nicht wahr, dann, sie seigegen die Religion, und im dritten Stadium, sie sei l¨angst bekannt gewesen.which I translate as follows:Therefore Agassiz says, when a new doctrine is proposed, it goes through threestages. First, people say it is not true; then, that it is against religion; and in the third stage, that it was long known.

Agassiz, of course, was Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz, the Swiss-American naturalist.However, I have not been able to find this passage in any of Agassiz’s writings. Von Baer’s use of the quotation was popularized by Stephen Jay Gould and Niles Eldredge in support of their theory of punctuated equilibrium
Science, Pseudoscience, and The Three Stages of Truth | Jeffrey Shallit - Academia.edu

We could hope that Peacegirl and Lessans were as funny as the Marx Brothers, that is 'funny ha ha' not the 'funny sad' that they are.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:35 PM

:facepalm: McNuggets are highly processed...a certain amount of "foreign" materials are allowed by the FDA in all processed foods.

And LOL at Natural News for buying a telescope and camera and calling it a food lab. They can't even identify what they photographed, what kind of science is that?
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's not what I wrote.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
To Schopenhauer is often attributed another quote about the stages of truth; see below.The next oldest citation of the “stages of truth” quote is located in an 1866 paper of the German embryologist Karl Ernst von Baer (1792–1876). Von Baer wrote [34, p. 92]Deswegen sagt Agassiz, dass wenn eine neue Lehre vorgebracht w¨urde, sie dreiStadien durchzumachen habe; zuerst sage man, sie sei nicht wahr, dann, sie seigegen die Religion, und im dritten Stadium, sie sei l¨angst bekannt gewesen.which I translate as follows:Therefore Agassiz says, when a new doctrine is proposed, it goes through three stages. First, people say it is not true; then, that it is against religion; and in the third stage, that it was long known.

That's not what I wrote.
Who said it was? I am pretty sure the quote above was the original basis of the "Truth goes through three stages" apocrypha. Read the paper at the link. It is well referenced and researched.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
:facepalm: McNuggets are highly processed...a certain amount of "foreign" materials are allowed by the FDA in all processed foods.

And LOL at Natural News for buying a telescope and camera and calling it a food lab. They can't even identify what they photographed, what kind of science is that?
You just don't like Mike Adams LadyShea. You are prejudiced against him. Yes, I know that there is a certain amount of foreign food products allowed, but does this make it edible. Maybe yes, maybe no, according to your standards. I never bought packaged taco seasoning when I found out that a certain amount of roach eggs and legs were allowed. It's truly up to you, but at least we have the information to make an informed choice.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
To Schopenhauer is often attributed another quote about the stages of truth; see below.The next oldest citation of the “stages of truth” quote is located in an 1866 paper of the German embryologist Karl Ernst von Baer (1792–1876). Von Baer wrote [34, p. 92]Deswegen sagt Agassiz, dass wenn eine neue Lehre vorgebracht w¨urde, sie dreiStadien durchzumachen habe; zuerst sage man, sie sei nicht wahr, dann, sie seigegen die Religion, und im dritten Stadium, sie sei l¨angst bekannt gewesen.which I translate as follows:Therefore Agassiz says, when a new doctrine is proposed, it goes through three stages. First, people say it is not true; then, that it is against religion; and in the third stage, that it was long known.

That's not what I wrote.
Who said it was? I am pretty sure the quote above was the original basis of the "Truth goes through three stages" apocrypha. Read the paper at the link. It is well referenced and researched.
I read it, and the quote I gave came from the same website, so there you go.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM

What quote did you give, and where?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

And LOL at Natural News for buying a microscope and camera and calling it a food lab. They can't even identify what they photographed, what kind of science is that?
You just don't like Mike Adams LadyShea. You are prejudiced against him.
Yes, I am. I have told you this and I have told you why. He's an opportunistic fear monger.

Quote:
Yes, I know that there is a certain amount of foreign food products allowed, but does this make it edible.
People eat it all the time, so it is edible.

Quote:
Maybe yes, maybe no, according to your standards.
What standards?

Quote:
I never bought packaged taco seasoning when I found out that a certain amount of roach eggs and legs were allowed.
If you eat any processed, canned, frozen, or packaged food you are eating foreign material. Taco seasoning is just one thing...lol. You think contamination is limited to that single product.?

Last edited by LadyShea; 08-17-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: there are multiple kinds of scopes
Thanks, from:
ChristinaM (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Yes, I know that there is a certain amount of foreign food products allowed, but does this make it edible. Maybe yes, maybe no, according to your standards. I never bought packaged taco seasoning when I found out that a certain amount of roach eggs and legs were allowed.
So you admit that you are a 'Food Bigot', in some cultures insects are an important source of nutrition. In the American South West insects were an important part of the diet of early Native Americans.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm Deplorable.

You never know what might be in the food you eat. Many years ago I read an account of a practice in rural areas of certain Eastern European countries. However I cannot verify the accuracy of the account. If a young woman was interested in a certain young man, she was advised to take some of her pubic hair and cut it up really small and mix it into some food to be served to that particular young man. Then pheromones will take over and the young man will pursue the young woman till she catches him.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's not what I wrote.
I guess no one will know for sure, but I did copy an original quote and gave the interpretation. I feel it's as authentic as anyone can get other than watching him write it.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Yes, I know that there is a certain amount of foreign food products allowed, but does this make it edible. Maybe yes, maybe no, according to your standards. I never bought packaged taco seasoning when I found out that a certain amount of roach eggs and legs were allowed.
So you admit that you are a 'Food Bigot', in some cultures insects are an important source of nutrition. In the American South West insects were an important part of the diet of early Native Americans.
That's why I said "to each his own" but when something is as processed as chicken nuggets, it makes you wonder what else could be lurking in there that isn't even food.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You just don't like Mike Adams LadyShea. You are prejudiced against him.
Yes, I am. I have told you this and I have told you why. He's an opportunistic fear monger.
Give it up LadyShea. You have no idea how you come off, really and truly. There is no person that is all that bad like you're making him out to be so you don't have face up to the fact that you are judging him unfairly and inaccurately.

Quote:
Yes, I know that there is a certain amount of foreign food products allowed, but does this make it edible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
People eat it all the time, so it is edible.
Yes, but it's not the standard that I want to use for myself. If someone you liked gave the same information, you would accept it without all the rebuttals, but because it's Mike Adams, you will find something to argue about. This is very similar to my father's discovery. If it was someone else that you respected, you would listen with open ears. I've said this before, and it's true.

Quote:
Maybe yes, maybe no, according to your standards.
Quote:
What standards?
The standards you use to decide what to eat. Do you not have any, or will you eat just anything just because it's edible and you won't die from it? I guess I would eat what I don't normally eat if I was starving, but I will not put everything and anything into my mouth just because it's accepted by the FDA. What low standards you have.

Quote:
I never bought packaged taco seasoning when I found out that a certain amount of roach eggs and legs were allowed.
Quote:
If you eat any processed, canned, frozen, or packaged food you are eating foreign material. Taco seasoning is just one thing...lol. You think contamination is limited to that single product.?
No, but it does make me think before eating processed food. I just happened to hear about this years ago, and I never forgot it.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-16-2013)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy