Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So you believe that after hundreds of years after an event has taken place, all we would need is to gather enough light gathered from that event to make out a partial image? So we might see half a ship, or half of Columbus' face? And this doesn't sound fundie to you?
Weasel, you are acting purposefully obtuse. I guess you'd rather appear stupid than admit that you are wrong.

Nobody is talking about ships or Columbus. The technology doesn't exist for that, nor has anyone said we can see that or should see it, nor has anyone said anything about us here on Earth seeing events from Earth's distant past.

I am talking about the images we can get right now from collecting enough light to create them, using the technology that actually exists, such as the images of galaxies from the Hubble.
Obviously, if you believe that light that has been emitted from a star that no longer exists, travels forever and ever with the pattern of that star or galaxy, then there is no way I can dispute this, just like I cannot dispute Spacemonkey when he says that photons have to travel from point A to point B, and therefore we cannot see an object instantly. So there really isn't any purpose in this discussion. Just remember science does not always get it right.
Are these images imaginary, peacegirl?
Of course not, but to say that these images date back to the beginning of time is a theory, although you can believe what you want. I think people are here to see how long I can hold out, which is why I'm not going to continue the conversation. It's all about the lulz.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is the difference if the afferent account says traveling to the lens, and the efferent account says the light is at the lens. In both accounts light and the lens intersect.
The difference is that the afferent account can, without contradiction, explain where the light at the retina came from and how it got there.
Didn't I say that the afferent account is logical? But logic is not always right.
No, you haven't said it is logical. For the last couple of days you've been trying to tell us it doesn't make any sense. And if your account has no possible explanation for where the light at the retina came from or how it got there, then that account is obviously wrong.
Fine, so let's end this. I'm ready for a change of topic.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM View Post
Quote:
I think she would love positive attention for the book. The problem is that any serious attention reveals the enormous flaws in the book, while even the smallest criticism is automatically considered to be caused by either ignorance, malice or bias. As a result all attention turns into negative attention, because she seem incapable of admitting to even the slightest flaw in the book, even in the face of overwhelming evidence.
Maybe I have a bad habit of assuming that in the absence of mental health issues or developmental disabilities people generally do things in a way that achieves their goal and when their tactics don't work they change them. She won't change hers no matter how many decades this ridicule goes on for so it seems to me like the payoff is in the ridicule for her. I'm not going to assume that she has a serious mental health problem since I'm not a psychiatrist and if I were I wouldn't be diagnosing strangers online. There's lots of room for weird in between neurotypical and crazy IMO.
If you read the book you will find she really doesn't have much of a choice. If her ideas about free will are even slightly tempered, the whole teetering edifice comes crashing down: this is a text-book example of an entire system being built on extremely narrow foundations.
Narrow foundations? You are so off the beaten track, it laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
We already offered an explanation that allows sight to be normal while not conflicting with the book as she shared it. However, she herself has intimated that this would have consequences for the the ideas about not-reincarnation as described in the part of the book that is missing from my version.
What are you gibbering about? Consequences about not-reincarnation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
The entire cloud-castle is so lacking in robustness that smallest change would bring the whole thing crashing down, and then where is she? No eternally happy afterlife, no Brave New World, ten years wasted, and stacks and stacks of what has now suddenly become the worlds most expensive toiletpaper in stead of the Bible, Part 2.
Who brought up afterlife? This is not a Brave New World, the kind of world Huxley wrote about. Do you actually think the Golden Age of man is going to resemble Huxley's new world order in any way, shape, or form? :glare::glare::glare:

Brave New World is a benevolent dictatorship: a static, efficient, totalitarian welfare-state. There is no war, poverty or crime. Society is stratified by genetically-predestined caste.

Aldous Huxley : Brave New World

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
So you believe that hundreds of years after an event has taken place, all we would need is to gather enough light from that event to make out a partial image? In other words, we might see half a ship, or half of Columbus' face, or half of his 90 men, because those particular wavelengths happened to strike our telescopes? And this doesn't sound flaky to you?
:foocl:

You're almost as unintentionally funny as your father. Did you receive your diploma from kindergarten, or are you still working on the requirements of eating cookies and taking a noon nap?
No playground privileges for you. And definitely no cookies. :D

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Quote:
This does not violate physics, nor does it mean that photons have teleported from one point to another. No matter how you reason this out, it's going to seem contradictory as long as your premise begins with the idea that light bounces and travels with the pattern before it strikes another object (which involves time) instead of trying to understand that the pattern reveals the object (which does not involve time). Does this sound like a broken record to you? I know you will continue to ask me what time was the photon at the sun, and what time was it at the eye? You keep going back to the afferent account because you are thinking in terms of traveling photons. Remember, light travels, but in the efferent account, light brings no pattern to the eye through space/time; it reveals what's out there in real time if we're in optical range of that object.
:D

Like a broken record. Dishonest, empty-headed, pathetic.
Now you have to stand in the corner for one hour, or write 100 times Peacegirl is honest, and full of wisdom. :yup:

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
I'm just asking. Wouldn't that mean an image would not be recognizable? Can you recognize half a face? This is not a hologram. :(
Why would it be unrecognizable? When you are looking at someone face to face, can you see the back of their head? Does not being able to see the back half of their body render them unrecognizable?

We can only ever see one section of the moon, does our inability to see the dark side render it unrecognizable?

You are gibbering, seriously.
I'm gibbering? :glare:
Yes
I said that unobstructed light (light that has the full spectrum) will give us a true color of what object we are looking at. What is it you don't understand? If a shadow of one object falls on another object, the true color of the other object will be compromised by the shadow. So what? What are you trying to prove other than to try to show me up?
You are conflating the discussion of color with the discussion of collecting light from far away to create an image as the Hubble does. Your statement about half a face had nothing to do with color. So, you are still gibbering.
I am not conflating anything. We were talking about capturing light to form images of a previous time. This was not related to color, so why are you accusing me of this?

Post #: 28375

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013), LadyShea (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or, if the mechanism works in reverse, what is it that is being shot out of the eyes? Photons maybe? What exactly happens in your odd idea to make perspective occur?
Huh? Why does something have to be shot out of the eyes? Amazing the stuff people come up with.
Because optics works with travelling photons: if the same mechanism works in reverse, something needs to travel out of the eyes.

You came up with the idea that it works in reverse, not me...
No, I've already explained this. If we can see the object, the light will be at the retina. I also said that light travels, but the pattern does not travel beyond the point of resolution. Nothing gets shot out of the eyes. You're purposely making this sound like a horror movie. :fuming:

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Nature is not redundant.
Quote:
It still sounds very haphazard to me, but of course not to you since you've got an answer for everything
Quote:
Light should not be bringing special effects when we don't want them.
Quote:
Nature is well-designed. It is not haphazard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
Er...what? Sorry peacegirl, but you don't get to dictate how nature is. The universe doesn't care if you find it strange or haphazard, or random or daft, or immoral.
added to previous post:

This is not about what I get to dictate.

Nonlinear processes are ubiquitous. They are processes of emergent order and complexity, of how structure arises from the interaction of many independent units. These processes recur at every level, from morphology to behavior. At every level of science (including the brain and life) the spontaneous emergence of order, or self-organization of complex systems, is a common theme.

The Nature of Consciousness: Consciousness, Life and Meaning

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:22 AM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Once I work out a marketing plan, I won't have time to come here.
But we both know you'll never do that. You'll just continue submitting and resubmitting the book, as you've been doing for the past ten years.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 07-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013), LadyShea (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Huh? Why does something have to be shot out of the eyes?
From two and a half weeks ago:-
Quote:
Quote:
Efferent means conveyed outward.
And yet nothing at all is conveyed outward in your own account of 'efferent' vision.
You never replied.
Nothing shoots out Spacemonkey. This is beginning to sound like a bad science fiction movie.

Sight takes place for the first time when a sufficient accumulation
of sense experience such as hearing, taste, touch, and smell — these
are doorways in — awakens the brain so that the child can look
through them at what exists around him
. He then desires to see the
source of the experience by focusing his eyes, as binoculars. The eyes
are the windows of the brain through which experience is gained not
by what comes in on the waves of light as a result of striking the optic
nerve, but by what is looked at in relation to the afferent experience
of the senses. What is seen through the eyes is an efferent experience.
If a lion roared in that room a newborn baby would hear the sound
and react because this impinges on the eardrum and is then
transmitted to the brain.
LOL. I've highlighted the problematic parts for you.

If efferent means to be conveyed outwards, and vision is an efferent experience, then what is conveyed outwards in efferent vision?
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
But we both know you'll never do that. You'll just continue submitting and resubmitting the book, as you've been doing for that past ten years.
Wrong.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Huh? Why does something have to be shot out of the eyes?
From two and a half weeks ago:-
Quote:
Quote:
Efferent means conveyed outward.
And yet nothing at all is conveyed outward in your own account of 'efferent' vision.
You never replied.
Nothing shoots out Spacemonkey. This is beginning to sound like a bad science fiction movie.

Sight takes place for the first time when a sufficient accumulation
of sense experience such as hearing, taste, touch, and smell — these
are doorways in — awakens the brain so that the child can look
through them at what exists around him
. He then desires to see the
source of the experience by focusing his eyes, as binoculars. The eyes
are the windows of the brain through which experience is gained not
by what comes in on the waves of light as a result of striking the optic
nerve, but by what is looked at in relation to the afferent experience
of the senses. What is seen through the eyes is an efferent experience.
If a lion roared in that room a newborn baby would hear the sound
and react because this impinges on the eardrum and is then
transmitted to the brain.

If efferent means to be conveyed outwards, and vision is an efferent experience, then what is conveyed outwards in efferent vision?
I have no problem with saying "conveyed outward", but it's nuts to say something shoots out of the eyes!!

Last edited by peacegirl; 07-05-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, are you happy to leave efferent vision as a big fat contradiction that no-one in their right mind could ever take seriously? Does it not bother you at all that you are positing photons at the retina without being able to explain where they came from or how they got there? Why do you keep pretending that this problem doesn't exist? Do you think that if you ignore it, it will just go away? Do you think other people might be so stupid as to not consider it a problem either?
This does not violate physics, nor does it mean that photons have teleported from one point to another. No matter how you reason this out, it's going to seem contradictory as long as your premise begins with the idea that light bounces and travels with the pattern before it strikes another object (which involves time) instead of trying to understand that the pattern reveals the object (which does not involve time). Does this sound like a broken record to you? I know you will continue to ask me what time was the photon at the sun, and what time was it at the eye? You keep going back to the afferent account because you are thinking in terms of traveling photons. Remember, light travels, but in the efferent account, light brings no pattern to the eye through space/time; it reveals what's out there in real time if we're in optical range of that object.
No, Peacegirl. I am not beginning with any premise about traveling photons or light bouncing and traveling with a pattern. You are yet again merely fabricating lies and excuses to avoid addressing the problem. So are you happy to leave efferent vision as a big fat contradiction that no-one in their right mind could ever take seriously? Does it not bother you at all that you are positing photons at the retina without being able to explain where they came from or how they got there?
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I have no problem with saying "conveyed outward", but nothing shoots out of the eyes!!
So then what is it that is "conveyed outwards" in your allegedly efferent account?
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But we both know you'll never do that. You'll just continue submitting and resubmitting the book, as you've been doing for that past ten years.
Wrong.
Nope. How many times have you told us you won't be resubmitting again, only to go right ahead and resubmit again? How long have you been telling us about the need to develop a marketing plan and what have you actually done about it?
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
The space between an object and the eye in the efferent account is the same regardless of how far away the object is.
That's a contradiction, Peacegirl. The distance between eye and object cannot be the same even when it's different.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 07-05-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In Lessans' newly ignited Sun example...

1) Will there be photons at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited (i.e. 12:00)?

2) If so, where did these photons come from? (Name a location)

3) When were these photons located at that location? (Specify a time)
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If there is no object present, there is no image or pattern that can be made out or detected.
Of course there is. If light of one frequency is hitting one part of the retina (real or artificial) while light of a different frequency is hitting another part of the retina, then this is a pattern of light detection whose information can be sent to the brain. This is also exactly how a camera and film works. Different frequency light hits different parts of the film after coming from different parts of an object, resulting in an image with parts of differing colors. And this will happen so long as different frequencies of light are hitting different parts of the retina or film, regardless of whether or not the object the light came from is still in existence.

Quote:
Without the object present, there IS no image, which means we're back to square one.
You mean you're back to square one, and again back to making unsupported assertions that contradict observable reality.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
All I'm saying is that we get a true color from full spectrum light.
No-one was ever disputing that point, so why are you making it? The point you took issue with was the idea that if the only light hitting a red object lacks red photons due to them being absorbed by a previous object then we won't see the second object as red. Obviously this effect will only be observed when there are not other red photons in the daylight streaming directly at the red object in addition to the light lacking the red photons.

Quote:
Science has an answer for everything, but is it the correct answer? :chin:
In this case, yes. The answers we are giving you are the correct ones, as you are welcome to verify for yourself.
Bump.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is the difference if the afferent account says traveling to the lens, and the efferent account says the light is at the lens. In both accounts light and the lens intersect.
The difference is that the afferent account can, without contradiction, explain where the light at the retina came from and how it got there.
Didn't I say that the afferent account is logical? But logic is not always right.
No, you haven't said it is logical. For the last couple of days you've been trying to tell us it doesn't make any sense. And if your account has no possible explanation for where the light at the retina came from or how it got there, then that account is obviously wrong.
Fine, so let's end this. I'm ready for a change of topic.
No. I want you to stop lying, evading, and constantly trying to change the subject, and for once actually try honestly and directly facing up to this problem with your claim. Is that too much to ask?

Where did the light which you say is instantly at the retina come from, and how did it get there?
Angakuk (07-05-2013), The Lone Ranger (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
No, I've already explained this. If we can see the object, the light will be at the retina.
Where did this light come from, and how did it get there?

This is what you have not explained.
Angakuk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, you now have three inconsistent principles regarding Lessans newly ignited Sun example:

(1) There are photons at the retina instantly at the moment the Sun is ignited.
(2) These photons came from the Sun.
(3) These photons had a travel time.

These three statements cannot all be true. So which one will you give up?

Are you going to give up one of these three inconsistent claims? Or are you happy to leave efferent vision as a big fat contradiction that no-one in their right mind could ever take seriously?
Bump.
Bump.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
We know what causes perspective in optics. So what causes it in your idea? It cannot be the same thing, or work the same way, unless you want to say that sight is efferent AND afferent.
Sight is æfferent. You heard it here first.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how we got here, or how this disproves Lessans' claims, but it's interesting, especially since public safety is one of the things I research.

In proportion to what we spend for other preventive measures, however, we do not deal so generously with a highly important life-saving agency - street and highway lighting. We invest millions in better reads, which are used to an increasing extent at night. The traffic over them is enormous; but, unfortunately, so is the toll of causalities that attends this use. Rural night traffic accidents inflict and estimated money damage in this country of $400,000,000 a year. Worse than that, this rural night traffic alone results in about 6000 fatal accidents and 160,000 non-fatal accidents annually. Traffic accidents take a terrible toll each year. During the 18 months we were engaged in the World War, 50,510 members of the A.E.F. were killed in action or died of wounds, and 182,674 were wounded. In the 18 months ending December 31, 1931, 53,650 persons were killed and 1,576,840 were injured in traffic accidents in our city streets and on our rural highways.

It is not sufficient to think about these figures; we should do something about them. And we can. We can install adequate lighting for about 10 per cent of the cost of an improved highway; and the annual cost of operating such a lighting system is approximately 5 per cent of the cost of the improved highway.

Statistics show that for every thousand dollars of lighting cost, there is an economic saving of more than two thousand dollars by prevention of deaths and accidents.

Engineers have worked successfully on this problem. We have suitable equipment to light highways adequately. One of the latest lighting units for this purpose is the new sodium-vapor lamp described in this publication. Its soft, golden-orange glow, its lack of glare, adapt it admirable to give maximum comfort and safety in driving.

The need for adequate highway lighting is obvious. The physical means of obtaining it are available. Let's unite in an effort to combat a menace to public comfort and safety that looms greater year by year.

I can offer no better summary than that given by Osborne S. Mitchell, Editor, Electrical News and Engineering:

1. To the nation, it would mean greatly improved transportation facilities at little extra cost. In addition, it would mean a great saving in life and a large saving in what is now a direct economic loss amounting to millions of dollars annually.
2. To the farmer, where there are no existing distribution lines, it would mean electrification with all its increased efficiency on the farm.
3. To the motorist, it would mean fewer accidents and less nervous tension.
4. To the central station, it would mean lower overhead on rural lines.
5. To the states, it would mean fewer crimes and less policing, and greatly increased tourist traffic.
6. To the electrical industry, it would bring a large potential rural market.

I think this is a really great idea. Why we could even have electricity out here where I live in rural Iowa. Then I could have a computer and stuff. What do you think we should call this program? I think something like rural electrification would be a really cool name.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
We are able to see the hemisphere of the moon that is facing us due to light. :shrug:
Why are we only able to see the side of the moon that is facing us. If the moon is large enough, bright enough and close enough, and those are the only conditions necessary for sight, why can't we see the whole moon?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy