Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
That's why those videos are worthless as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry you went out of your way thinking you had me over a barrel, but the truth is these videos show nothing.
You see, lady shea, the 5 minutes PG spent with the family dog and skype constituted an observation, which is way more reliable than mere properly run experiments or anything anyone else in the world might notice, ever. These observations count as proof for their own correctness, even if they come in the form of claims.

If you need to know what constitutes an observation, you will have to ask Peacegirl, as she seems to decide which is which based on criteria which are totally rational an objective and definitely are not best summarised as "Whatever Peacegirl Wants To Be True".
That is so not true Vivisectus and you know it.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-12-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That's why those videos are worthless as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry you went out of your way thinking you had me over a barrel, but the truth is these videos show nothing.
You see, lady shea, the 5 minutes PG spent with the family dog and skype constituted an observation, which is way more reliable than mere properly run experiments or anything anyone else in the world might notice, ever. These observations count as proof for their own correctness, even if they come in the form of claims.

If you need to know what constitutes an observation, you will have to ask Peacegirl, as she seems to decide which is which based on criteria which are totally rational an objective and definitely are not best summarised as "Whatever Peacegirl Wants To Be True".
That is so not true Vivisectu,s and you know it.
By golly! I am foiled by your fiendish application of the cunning "Is no-hot" argument!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Did you note how the devices work by bypassing (not "restoring") the retina and directly stimulating the optic nerve?

You know -- the very thing which you earlier claimed would definitively establish that the eyes are sense organs, if it could be done?

Even better, different devices work in different ways. Some use photoreceptors outside the eye to generate impulses that are relayed to the brain; others work by, in effect, implantation of an artificial retina.
That's all well and good. Show me the evidence. Show me that when the retina is bypassed, and only impulses are entering the brain, that a person can see normally. If this is the case, I will concede.
Ah there is the hint! Suddenly the goalpost is moved, and Bionic eyes need to provide "normal" sight - with Peacegirl as the judge on what constitutes "normal" sight.
My wife has "Normal Sight" take off her glasses and she can't make anything out beyond a few feet, without her glasses she is 'legally blind'. But all glasses do is to refocus light, they don't interact with the brain at all, so how can glasses effect vision if it is efferent? Doesn't the brain look through the eyes to see the world, what does focusing an image on the retina have anything to do with vision in efferent vision? So if the bionic eye produce a blurry image, that would constitute "Normal Sight"?
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM
puzzler

You need to get one of these if you want your evidence to be of any worth to peacegirl.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
You are deliberately placing impossible demands on the proof required so that there can be no proof. Just like you demanded that the delay in seeing, due to the speed of light, be demonstrated on Earth, when the very speed of light made that all but impossible, and you knew it. This shows that you have no understanding of dogs or dog behavior, or light and the properties of light.
If the speed of light goes that fast (which it does), then how can we get an image of anything? It would pass right us over. :doh:

You can't possibly be that stupid, so it must be willful ignorance.

Did you sell any of your 'over-priced' books yet? It's all about the money, isn't it?
Actually it does make sense. I'm just following your reasoning. Why wouldn't images that bounce off of objects pass right over us on Earth if light is traveling at such a fast speed?
1. Images don't bounce off objects, for the billionth time

2. Some light comes in contact with matter while it is traveling and some matter it encounters absorbs it (which makes it stop traveling), such as the photoreceptors in our retinas and in green plants.

If a traveling car hits a wall, what happens? Why doesn't it pass right over the wall?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-13-2013), Stephen Maturin (06-12-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you note how the devices work by bypassing (not "restoring") the retina and directly stimulating the optic nerve?

You know -- the very thing which you earlier claimed would definitively establish that the eyes are sense organs, if it could be done?

Even better, different devices work in different ways. Some use photoreceptors outside the eye to generate impulses that are relayed to the brain; others work by, in effect, implantation of an artificial retina.
That's all well and good. Show me the evidence. Show me that when the retina is bypassed, and only impulses are entering the brain, that a person can see normally. If this is the case, I will concede.
Ah there is the hint! Suddenly the goalpost is moved, and Bionic eyes need to provide "normal" sight - with Peacegirl as the judge on what constitutes "normal" sight.
My wife has "Normal Sight" take off her glasses and she can't make anything out beyond a few feet, without her glasses she is 'legally blind'. But all glasses do is to refocus light, they don't interact with the brain at all, so how can glasses effect vision if it is efferent? Doesn't the brain look through the eyes to see the world, what does focusing an image on the retina have anything to do with vision in efferent vision? So if the bionic eye produce a blurry image, that would constitute "Normal Sight"?
Sheesh get with it - that is because lenses focus out towards the object which has to be in the field of view to be seen in real time if the efferent account is true. Just like TV sets create images with light on the screen of a tv, in stead of just being very sophisticated lamps.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Why wouldn't images that bounce off of objects pass right over us on Earth if light is traveling at such a fast speed?
Because, for the 37,683rd time, it isn't images that are traveling or bouncing off things.

Why on Earth do you feel qualified to "criticize" the "scientific model of sight" when you have no idea at all what it actually is?

And why do you continue to dishonestly pretend that Lessans' "model" of sight hasn't been disproved, when it has -- by people doing exactly what you said would be needed in order to disprove Lessans?

You needn't bother to reply; we all know the answer. I'm just recording it for the record.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-12-2013), Spacemonkey (06-12-2013), Stephen Maturin (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Why wouldn't images that bounce off of objects pass right over us on Earth if light is traveling at such a fast speed?
Weyhey! The good times are back! Images are bouncing off objects! Good god I have missed this stuff.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
If a traveling car hits a wall, what happens? Why doesn't it pass right over the wall?
Because it's not traveling fast enough, obviously.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (06-12-2013), Pan Narrans (06-13-2013), Spacemonkey (06-12-2013), Stephen Maturin (06-12-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I realize that it's a digital image but the dog doesn't know that. He goes up to see if he can confirm what he is looking at through his sense of smell. I believe that dogs can tell the difference between non-humans and humans, but I have yet to see it proven that dogs can recognize their master among a group of strangers barring any other cues. Why don't they present the actual video so we can see it for ourselves?
Because it was a scientific test done in France and the results were presented to other scientists in a scientific journal then at a scientific conference. The videos are available to researchers and students, just as most scientific research is.

You didn't even bother to read the simple article about it. Why must everything be handed to you like you're a small child, why can't you read anything or research anything?
Quote:
At the last MFEC conference, in France, Dr. Autier-Derian, veterinarian/ethologist, exposed how when asked to choose between two pictures, dogs are capable of consistently heading towards the pictures of the people they know versus those of strangers.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
You're lost Spacemonkey. I will say again that time has nothing to do with this account of vision. How can it when the pattern is not reflected?
You're still quite deliberately ignoring the problem. I didn't say anything about reflecting a pattern, and time becomes a factor as soon as you say the photons at one place came from some other place - because that means they had to be located at that other place at some previous time.

The problem again: On your account the photons at the retina could not have been located at the Sun because there is no time at which they could have been located there. The photons cannot be located at the Sun at the very same time that these very same photons are also at the retina, and they cannot have been at the Sun before this time because the Sun was not ignited before then. Your claim that there will be photons instantaneously at the retina at the very moment the Sun is first ignited is inconsistent with your claim that they came from the Sun. The problem has nothing at all to do with reflected or traveling images. It only concerns your impossible claims about where light can be at different points in time. If the light is instantly at the retina as soon as the newly ignited Sun ignites, then this light cannot possibly have come from the Sun.

Quote:
I am not begging you to share his observations. I can see that his observations are correct for myself. [...] this has nothing to do with faith.
Yes you are, no you can't, and yes it does. You have nothing but faith, and you are constantly asking us to share it by believing things you cannot support. All you are doing is begging us to share your irrational faith in your father's ability. If you want people to believe his 'observations' were correct then you will need to find someway to support them with either evidence or arguments. If you can't, then you lose.

Quote:
This is not a presupposition Spacemonkey. This is also not a premise because it's not an assumption which has to be supported. You never answered my question: Is the fact that we cannot undo what has already been done a premise, or is this an accurate observation?
You never asked me that question before. But I did explain to you that only tautologies can be known to be true just by considering them, and that your father's claims about conscience are not tautologies - so if you want them accepted you will need to support them. His claim that conscience has some innate potential perfection that it would achieve in the absence of blame is a presupposition because his arguments require this to be true, and yet he did not argue for or support this claim in any way. Unlike you, I will not just accept that his claims or 'observations' are correct because he said so. You need to be able to support them if you expect anyone to believe them.

Quote:
I will say one last time that this observation did not involve a presupposition.
Say it all you like, it still isn't true. Tautologies such as those you listed can indeed be self-evident and seen to be true just by considering them carefully. But nothing of interest can be proved from them. His presuppositions concerning conscience however, are not of this sort. They are not tautologies, and so they are not self-evident. If you expect people to accept them then you'll need to start supporting them. Lessans never bothered to, and that is why no-one finds his claims convincing.

Quote:
Don't threaten me Spacemonkey.
I didn't threaten you. What are you talking about?

Quote:
I will do what I want to do, and so far you've given me no reason to want to send this book to you and waste my money. You told me you aren't reading it, so why should I send it?
Your reason for sending it never had anything to do with me reading it, so why do you keep using this bogus excuse?

Quote:
You also told me that the universities wouldn't touch it because it doesn't meet epistemic standards.
Again I'll ask you to show me where you think I said this. Why do you keep making shit up?

Yes, I think the book is worthless. I've never hidden that or claimed anything different. Yet this has no bearing at all on the reason you had for sending me the book, which was not being sent for my benefit but to help you get it read by those in a position to validate it. If you have any integrity at all, you'll either send the book as per our agreement, or if you really can't financially afford to keep your word, just stop making up bogus excuses and say so.
Bump.
Bump.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm Deplorable.

[quote=peacegirl;1134979]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are deliberately placing impossible demands on the proof required so that there can be no proof. Just like you demanded that the delay in seeing, due to the speed of light, be demonstrated on Earth, when the very speed of light made that all but impossible, and you knew it. This shows that you have no understanding of dogs or dog behavior, or light and the properties of light.
If the speed of light goes that fast (which it does), then how can we get an image of anything? It would pass right us over. :doh:

Did you sell any of your 'over-priced' books yet? It's all about the money, isn't it?
Actually it does make sense. I'm just following your reasoning. Why wouldn't images that bounce off of objects pass right over us on Earth if light is traveling at such a fast speed?[/QUOTE]

Because the light is not passing over us, but the light that the eye and brain use to form an image is passing directly into the eye and being focused on the retina. The speed of light is constant and the eye doens't need to 'catch up' with the light just needs to be shining directly into the eye, the eye has evolved to deal with light traveling at light speed, the idea that light is too fast for the eye to catch, is a strawman of your invention, Educate your self about optics and vision, willful ignorance is very unbecoming to anyone.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-13-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Visual discrimination of species in dogs (Canis familiaris) - Online First - Springer

Quote:
As a consequence of intensive artificial selection, domestic dogs, Canis familiaris, present the largest phenotypic diversity among domestic mammals. The goal of our study was to determine whether dogs can discriminate any type of dog from other species and can group all dogs whatever their phenotypes within the same category. Nine pet dogs were successfully trained through instrumental conditioning using a clicker and food rewards to choose a rewarded image, S+, out of two images displayed on computer screens. The generalization step consisted in the presentation of a large sample of paired images of heads of dogs from different breeds and cross-breeds with those of other mammal species, included humans. A reversal phase followed the generalization step. Each of the nine subjects was able to group all the images of dogs within the same category. Thus, the dogs have the capacity of species discrimination despite their great phenotypic variability, based only on visual images of heads.
I thought children can only differentiate between a dog and a fox due to language, but it seems dogs can differentiate between dogs and other mammals even though dogs look remarkably different from each other. All types of foxes are more similar looking to each other than a Chihuahua and a Great Dane are similar looking to each other....yet the dogs can pick out the dogs 100%?
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Now in six dimensions!

And once again, it turns out that if we listened to Lessans we would be worse off. We would have failed in our endeavors to land things on other planets, and we'd have failed to make a bionic eye.

Lessans ideas about the world are worse than useless.
LadyShea (06-12-2013), Pan Narrans (06-13-2013), Spacemonkey (06-12-2013), specious_reasons (06-12-2013), Stephen Maturin (06-12-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Why is it that they only publish the results and not allow people to see the actual experiment as it's progressing
What? Are you sniffing glue? You think all scientists everywhere should publish their experiments publicly in real time? Like a live camera feed of thousands of labs worldwide, or what exactly?
Thanks, from:
Dragar (06-12-2013), Stephen Maturin (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was trying to make it easy by using whatever technology is available. I did say a still video where the variables are isolated otherwise it wouldn't make sense to even try it.
No, you said

Quote:
I wonder if this dog recognized his master on Skype? I'd love to find out because that would give us relevant info.
And when I asked how you would know if he recognized his master on Skype, you said he would react just as he did to the real person. The real person was talking and walking and touching and being smelled, so why on Earth would you expect a dog to react the same way to a still silent image with no odor as to the real thing?
I have mentioned that in order for us to know whether the dog recognizes his master through sight alone, any other cues would have to be omitted. Sound is a cue. Movement is a cue. If you had thought about it you would have realized that these videos were not set up to test this. If a dog was able to recognize his master from sight alone, it would seem that he would show a reaction to a still frame because the photons are entering his eyes.
I realized the videos weren't set up to test this because you said we didn't need controlled tests, just layperson observation and anecdotal evidence just like your son and his dog on Skype or this soldier and his dog on Skype (relevant info you said!). When you say things like that, why are you surprised when we hold you to it? What the hell kind of random person sets up tests, that happen to match your parameters, using Skype then puts them on YouTube? What the hell were you expecting with your Skype talk? Did you think we would do tests for you with our dogs or what exactly?

Anyway, Weasel, you still aren't responding to the pertinent part of the questions at all

1. How would you know if he recognizes his master in a photograph? How would you determine if a dog is recognizing someone from a still photograph?
2. Why would the dog react to an inanimate object, a photograph, as if it were the real person?
3. If the reaction would be different what reaction is expected and why?
4. Do you expect dogs to react to a sock the same way as you expect them to react to a photograph? Why or why not

Last edited by LadyShea; 06-12-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Vice Cobra Assistant Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Why is it that they only publish the results and not allow people to see the actual experiment as it's progressing
What? Are you sniffing glue? You think all scientists everywhere should publish their experiments publicly in real time? Like a live camera feed of thousands of labs worldwide, or what exactly?
Exactly that. And then we could watch the scientists' dogs watching them do their experiments and make observations about them.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (06-12-2013), LadyShea (06-12-2013), Stephen Maturin (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
Line up 50 people who will not move, and a dog, from a slight distance away cannot identify his master.
Clearly, Lessans conducted that exact experiment multiple times. Clearly. Were it otherwise, Lessans would have been talking out his ass when he wrote the above-quoted sentence, and we know he never, ever did that.

Furthermore, the experiment protocols must be readily available to everyone. Otherwise, Lessans would have been "only publish[ing] the results and not allow people to see the actual experiment," which all proper dog behavior scientists agree is bad bad bad.

Trouble is, I can't find anything in the Sacred Text about how many times Lessans conducted the experiment much less a thorough description of his test protocols. Can someone point me in the right direction? I mean, it looks as though Lessans was yammering out his tuchis on this issue, even though we know he never, ever did that.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
Adam (06-12-2013), Angakuk (06-13-2013), ceptimus (06-13-2013), ChristinaM (06-13-2013), LadyShea (06-12-2013), Pan Narrans (06-13-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Peacegirl wants to see the experiments in progress, yet has failed to provide any of the "Observations" by Lessans that led to his conclusions. Is it just me, or does that seem like an extreme double standard?

BTW, I'm eating a salad with lots of onion, so can anyone tell by smelling the screen?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (06-13-2013), LadyShea (06-12-2013), The Lone Ranger (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Smith

How much does the evidence change your belief? That depends on three things. It depends on A) how different the evidence is from your prior, B) how strong the evidence is, and C) how strong your prior is.

English has no word for "the constant, repetitive reiteration of strong priors". Yet it is a well-known phenomenon in the world of punditry, debate, and public affairs. On Twitter, we call it "derp".
It seemed to fit.
I liked that article. Ya know, this sounds like you guys. :D

How much does the evidence change your belief? That depends on three things. It depends on A) how different the evidence is from your prior, B) how strong the evidence is, and C) how strong your prior is.

What does it mean for a prior to be "strong"? It means you really, really believe something to be true. If your start off with a very strong prior, even solid evidence to the contrary won't change your mind. In other words, your posterior will come directly from your prior. (And where do priors come from? On this, Bayesian theory is silent. Let's assume they come directly from your...um...posterior.)

There are many people who have very strong priors about things. For example, there are people who believe, very strongly, that solar power will never be cost-efficient. If you confront them with evidence of solar's rapid price declines, they will continue to insist that, despite this evidence, solar will simply never be cost-competitive with fossil fuels. That they continue to insist this does not necessarily make them irrational in the Bayesian sense; they simply have very strong priors. Someday they may be convinced - for example, if and when unsubsidized solar power starts being adopted on a mass scale. It'll just take a LOT to convince them.

Noahpinion: What is "derp"? The answer is technical.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is the lenses that focus out on to the object and allow the non-reflected light to create a mirror image at the bionic retina, which is the other side of the coin of the object that has to be in the field of view in order for the object to be seen if the efferent account is correct, which means that we project word-slides outward onto a screen of undeniable essence?
Hey, you pretty much got this thing down to a science. :wink:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can we have a brief re-cap at this point and establish exactly where the goalposts are at the moment? I am getting confused. Do we now need Bionic eyes to produce sight that is the exact same as that produced by a regular eye, to be judged by Peacegirl, and do dogs need to greet a person on skype who does not talk or move as if their owner just walked in the door?
I would think that to prove the eyes are afferent we would need to bypass the retina to prove that the impulses are causing sight after being interpreted by the brain. I'm not sure if that's even possible. I'm not changing the goalposts. I just want it to be a fair test.
Ah good! We are done then. The chip does indeed bypass the retina, and enough sight occurs for people to be able to read. Et voila!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
dogs know the difference between an inanimate object, and the real thing --- YOU. So I won't see him bringing a leash to a pair of socks anytime soon.
But should they wag their tail and whimper and jump up and down at the sock, like you think they should at a photograph?
I told you that if they smelled a sock, they would probably start searching for their master. They might even want to lay down by the sock if their master isn't there. A smell of steak on a paper plate doesn't mean the dog doesn't recognize that it's just a smell and will eat the plate. He will go look for the source of the smell. A still frame on a computer screen is not the same thing as a sock because it's an exact representation of the person's face. If the eyes are a sense organ shouldn't the dog be able to recognize his master from this, just like a child can? After going up to the screen and not being able to make contact with the owner, the dog may lose interest. But in the beginning, there definitely should be some kind of recognition (whether it's a wag of the tail, a whimper, a bark) just like there is when they hear their master's voice.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Focusing light has to do with refraction. We're still using light to see the world in the efferent account, so if that light is not focused we will have blurred vision.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually it does make sense. I'm just following your reasoning. Why wouldn't images that bounce off of objects pass right over us on Earth if light is traveling at such a fast speed?
1. Images don't bounce off objects, for the billionth time
Call it what you want, it is believed that the non-absorbed photons are bouncing off of the object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
2. Some light comes in contact with matter while it is traveling and some matter it encounters absorbs it (which makes it stop traveling), such as the photoreceptors in our retinas and in green plants.

Of course not. But you're making an assumption as to what happens with the remaining light. Light energy is absorbed and what is revealed is the object. According to Lessans, there is a mistaken notion that the non-absorbed light is reflected, which means that the photons are bouncing and traveling over long distances. This appears logical, but for the billionth time, this is exactly what is being contested.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy