Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Actually there is no definitive proof that sight is afferent because there is no proven technology that is dependent on afferent vision for that technology to work.
Unlike the efferent camera that can magically capture an image without light having to travel, which we accidentally designed thinking we were designing a camera that worked the opposite way.
Noooooo, don't you see what you're doing? I said all along that the picture the camera is recording is in real time, therefore light has already reached the camera's lens. Please don't try to make yourself look good and Lessans bad. That would be philosophy at its worst. :(
But that is impossible in real time.

That is the problem.

I have no time to pander to your image or anyone's if you say dumb things then don't expect me to reply with wisdom based on your dumbery btw.
Not if sight is efferent. If you are basing your observations on afferent vision, then it's true it would be impossible. You would also believe AI'm saying dumb things. I don't expect anything except some respect, which I have not been given.
A tautology again.

If something is something it must be something but since it is nothing it is therefore not nothing.

This is circular and worthless Peacegirl.

"God exists because there is nothing that is more powerful than gods and nothing is more powerful than one God."

Anselm's ontological argument mangled by me.

Essentially it tries to logically prove God exists by claiming God exists. It's a tautology that Even other great Christian philosophers saw as ultimately futile: St Thomas Aquinas for example being one who critiqued it robustly as well as Kant and Nietzsche and others.

Respect must be earned.

OMG, that is not what he's saying and you know it. :sadcheer:
OMG! That so is.

I tell you what instead of just waiting for a gap in the conversation why not actually click on some of the links I gave you and read them. You would find that you will learn a hell of a lot more if you understood the subject in the first place.
None of the links have to do with this knowledge, so why should I get off track? Why don't you take a piece of your own advice and read the book in its entirety. You only read part of the first chapter. Do you see why we are in constant disagreement?
So free will treatese have nothing to do with free will.

Do you ever not say paradoxical things.

The laws of nature have utterly everything to do with everything.
Free will has nothing to do with determinism. That's what I said Sidhe. This conversation is getting to be an embarrassment. :sadcheer:
I think you mean repetetive. :)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Actually there is no definitive proof that sight is afferent because there is no proven technology that is dependent on afferent vision for that technology to work.
Unlike the efferent camera that can magically capture an image without light having to travel, which we accidentally designed thinking we were designing a camera that worked the opposite way.
Noooooo, don't you see what you're doing? I said all along that the picture the camera is recording is in real time, therefore light has already reached the camera's lens. Please don't try to make yourself look good and Lessans bad. That would be philosophy at its worst. :(

That is the problem.

I have no time to pander to your image or anyone's if you say dumb things then don't expect me to reply with wisdom based on your dumbery btw.
Not if sight is efferent. If you are basing your observations on afferent vision, then it's true it would be impossible. You would also believe AI'm saying dumb things. I don't expect anything except some respect, which I have not been given.
A tautology again.

If something is something it must be something but since it is nothing it is therefore not nothing.

"God exists because there is nothing that is more powerful than gods and nothing is more powerful than one God."

Essentially it tries to logically prove God exists by claiming God exists. It's a tautology that Even other great Christian philosophers saw as ultimately futile: St Thomas Aquinas for example being one who critiqued it robustly as well as Kant and Nietzsche and others.

Respect must be earned.

OMG! That so is.

I tell you what instead of just waiting for a gap in the conversation why not actually click on some of the links I gave you and read them. You would find that you will learn a hell of a lot more if you understood the subject in the first place.
None of the links have to do with this knowledge, so why should I get off track? Why don't you take a piece of your own advice and read the book in its entirety. You only read part of the first chapter. Do you see why we are in constant disagreement?

Free will has nothing to do with determinism. That's what I said Sidhe. This conversation is getting to be an embarrassment. :sadcheer:
No, I meant what I said. This conversation is becoming embarrassing. We have gotten nowhere, and there's no end in sight.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Vivisectus, that is not the reason I am saying this. If you can't understand his reasoning, or you don't have any reason to believe that his premises are correct, the only thing left if we're going to make any headway is to assume that he is right.
That is only true if you define 'headway' as moving in the direction of accepting Lessans' claims. There are certainly other ways to make progress in the consideration of Lessans' claims. One could, perhaps, insist that evidence be produced that supports those claims. If you could produce evidence, any kind of evidence, it is just possible that headway could be made in the direction of convincing people to take Lessans seriously.

Quote:
That's why I said "temporarily". You can always reject his claims if you feel he is wrong, but not until a thorough investigation (which includes testing) is performed.
Assuming the truth of a proposition before testing it is an execellant method of introducing bias into the testing process. You have repeatedly bemoaned others's bias against believing Lessans claims, yet what you are asking people to do is nothing less than replace a bias against Lessans with a bias in favor of Lessans. Critical inquiry that assumes the presence of error is more likely to get at the truth than inquiry that assumes the absence of error.

Quote:
Why do you compare him to those who had nothing to offer instead of comparing him to those who had something to offer? :(
Did you ever have to write one those "compare and contrast" papers for an English class? You compare similarities and contrast dissimilarities. Lessans compares well with those who have nothing to offer and contrasts, equally well, with those who do have something to offer.
LadyShea (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is the problem.

A tautology again.

Respect must be earned.

OMG! That so is.

No, I meant what I said. This conversation is becoming embarrassing. We have gotten nowhere, and there's no end in sight.
But then you should be used to that, I mean take my wife. No take my wife.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM
here to bore you with pictures

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by specious_reasons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
It is simply Pascal's Wager with Lessans' Golden Age substituted for Heaven.
I think I may have mentioned that a few dozen pages ago. (Please don't ask me to look for it.)
In this case, there is a point to Pacal's wager even though it has nothing to do with betting on the existence of God.
Yes, it's exactly what Angakuk wrote. What you don't seem to understand is that Pascal's Wager isn't a particularly compelling argument, especially when we've exposed so many flaws in the book. I'm more willing to spend $1 on a lottery ticket than spend the money for Lessan's book because my odds are better.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think I may have mentioned that a few dozen pages ago. (Please don't ask me to look for it.)
In this case, there is a point to Pacal's wager even though it has nothing to do with betting on the existence of God.
Yes, it's exactly what Angakuk wrote. What you don't seem to understand is that Pascal's Wager isn't a particularly compelling argument, especially when we've exposed so many flaws in the book. I'm more willing to spend $1 on a lottery ticket than spend the money for Lessan's book because my odds are better.
Quite if only everyone worshipped me they would see that. ;)

Sidhe
Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Vivisectus, that is not the reason I am saying this. If you can't understand his reasoning, or you don't have any reason to believe that his premises are correct, the only thing left if we're going to make any headway is to assume that he is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
That is only true if you define 'headway' as moving in the direction of accepting Lessans' claims. There are certainly other ways to make progress in the consideration of Lessans' claims. One could, perhaps, insist that evidence be produced that supports those claims. If you could produce evidence, any kind of evidence, it is just possible that headway could be made in the direction of convincing people to take Lessans seriously.
The only problem with this is that it's difficult to simulate a new world environment on a smaller scale, but I'm sure it could be done. I think Lessans offered all that he could to mankind. It is up to scientists (not me; I've done my share) to follow up on his findings, if they so desire. If not, this discovery will remain in obscurity until the universe is ready to take it seriously.

Quote:
That's why I said "temporarily". You can always reject his claims if you feel he is wrong, but not until a thorough investigation (which includes testing) is performed.
Quote:
Assuming the truth of a proposition before testing it is an execellant method of introducing bias into the testing process. You have repeatedly bemoaned others's bias against believing Lessans claims, yet what you are asking people to do is nothing less than replace a bias against Lessans with a bias in favor of Lessans. Critical inquiry that assumes the presence of error is more likely to get at the truth than inquiry that assumes the absence of error.
The problem with this type of reasoning is that it doesn't allow for any further investigation. It stops everyone in their tracks. I have tried to answer your questions, but you don't seem satisfied with my answer, and because of that, you close yourself off. There is absolutely no progress being made in this thread. Please read the following again because it relates.

According to Richard Milton, in his book, “Alternative Science,
Challenging the Myths of the Scientific Establishment,” “We are
living in a time of rising academic intolerance in which important new
discoveries in physics, medicine, and biology are being ridiculed and
rejected for reasons that are not scientific. Something precious and
irreplaceable is under attack. Our academic liberty — our freedom of
thought — is being threatened by an establishment that chooses to
turn aside new knowledge unless it comes from their own scientific
circles. Some academics appoint themselves vigilantes to guard the
gates of science against troublemakers with new ideas. Yet science has
a two thousand year record of success not because it has been guarded
by an Inquisition, but because it is self-regulating. It has succeeded
because bad science is driven out by good; an ounce of open-minded
experiment is worth any amount of authoritative opinion by self-styled
scientific rationalists.

The scientific fundamentalism of which these
are disturbing signs is found today not merely in remote provincial
pockets of conservatism but at the very top of the mainstream
management of science on both sides of the Atlantic. Human
progress has been powered by the paradigm-shattering inventions of
many brilliant iconoclasts, yet just as the scientific community
dismissed Edison’s lamp, Roentgen’s X-rays, and even the Wrights’
airplane, today’s “Paradigm Police” do a better job of preserving an
outdated mode of thought than of nurturing invention and discovery.
One way of explaining this odd reluctance to come to terms with the
new, even when there is plenty of concrete evidence available, is to
appeal to the natural human tendency not to believe things that sound
impossible unless we see them with our own eyes — a healthy
skepticism.

But there is a good deal more to this phenomenon than
a healthy skepticism. It is a refusal even to open our eyes to examine
the evidence that is plainly in view. And it is a phenomenon that
occurs so regularly in the history of science and technology as to be
almost an integral part of the process. It seems that there are some
individuals, including very distinguished scientists, who are willing to
risk the censure and ridicule of their colleagues by stepping over that
mark.

This book is about those scientists. But, more importantly,
it is about the curious social and intellectual forces that seek to
prohibit such research; those areas of scientific research that are taboo
subjects; about subjects whose discussion is forbidden under pain of
ridicule and ostracism. Often those who cry taboo do so from the best
of motives: a desire to ensure that our hard-won scientific
enlightenment is not corrupted by the credulous acceptance of crank
ideas and that the community does not slide back into what Sir Karl
Popper graphically called the ‘tyranny of opinion.’ Yet in setting out
to guard the frontiers of knowledge, some scientific purists are
adopting a brand of skepticism that is indistinguishable from the
tyranny they seek to resist.

These modern skeptics are sometimes the
most unreflecting of individuals yet their devotion to the cause of
science impels them to appoint themselves guardians of spirit of truth.
And this raises the important question of just how we can tell a real
crank from a real innovator — a Faraday from a false prophet.
Merely to dismiss a carefully prepared body of evidence — however
barmy it may appear — is to make the same mistake as the crank.

Decline and Fall of All Evil; Introduction; pp. 7 & 8.

Quote:
Why do you compare him to those who had nothing to offer instead of comparing him to those who had something to offer? :(
Quote:
Did you ever have to write one those "compare and contrast" papers for an English class? You compare similarities and contrast dissimilarities. Lessans compares well with those who have nothing to offer and contrasts, equally well, with those who do have something to offer.
You keep saying the same thing in different words. So where do we go from here? Another 100 pages of non-discussion? :doh:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sidhe
You think you've exposed flaws in the book, which has nothing to do with actually exposing true flaws.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sidhe
You think you've exposed flaws in the book, which has nothing to do with actually exposing true flaws.
How would you know? You haven't read my links?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sidhe
How would you know? You haven't read my links?
I don't have to read your links to know that there is nothing in them that can negate a necessary truth. :(
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I find that funny, as it argues against letting a fixed, predetermined idea dominate your thinking and warp your view of reality.

Like treating this book as 100% correct, no matter how much reality contradicts it.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Regardless of alleged flaws, Pascal's Wager still isn't a very compelling argument.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I find that funny, as it argues against letting a fixed, predetermined idea dominate your thinking and warp your view of reality.

Like treating this book as 100% correct, no matter how much reality contradicts it.
Vivisectus, I would never let a fixed predetermined idea dominate my thinking and warp my view of reality. It just so happens that this discovery is genuine, therefore couldn't it be all of you who have a warped view of reality but you don't even know it? I think that is the case. :yup:
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Regardless of alleged flaws, Pascal's Wager still isn't a very compelling argument.
I don't know where the comparison to Pascal's wager started. Proof of God cannot be empirically tested, but this discovery can, so you can't really use Pascal's wager as a reason not to take a chance on this knowledge.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Vivisectus, I would never let a fixed predetermined idea dominate my thinking and warp my view of reality. It just so happens that this discovery is genuine, therefore couldn't it be all of you who have a warped view of reality but you don't even know it? I think that is the case. :yup:
Ah I see. It is not that the book is wrong, per se. It is just that we have the wrong kind of reality! :laugh:
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah I see. It is not that the book is wrong, per se. It is just that we have the wrong kind of reality! :laugh:
Yes, if you believe in free will you are deluded. But we weren't supposed to know the truth until now, so don't blame yourself for having a distorted view of reality. ;)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, if you believe in free will you are deluded. But we weren't supposed to know the truth until now, so don't blame yourself for having a distorted view of reality. ;)
Strange though - no matter what I believe, my camera still works...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned for death threats

There is only one God and Muhammed is his Prophet.

Alu al akbar.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 PM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

[quote=peacegirl;976841
You keep saying the same thing in different words. So where do we go from here? Another 100 pages of non-discussion? :doh:[/QUOTE]

You keep saying the same thing using the same old words. So where do we go from here? Another 100 pages of non-discussion?

Quote:
I don't have to read your links to know that there is nothing in them that can negate a necessary truth. :(
Translation: I am not interested in learning. I am especially not interested in learning anything that might tend to cast doubt on any of Lessans' claims.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know where the comparison to Pascal's wager started. Proof of God cannot be empirically tested, but this discovery can, so you can't really use Pascal's wager as a reason not to take a chance on this knowledge.
:rubeyes:
The statement above, "you can't really use Pascal's wager as a reason not to take a chance on this knowledge" shows you don't understand Pascal's Wager or how it applies and is also an appeal to Pascal's Wager.

:goodjob:

Although you refuse to admit it, parts of Lessans' book have already been proved false by empirical testing, it doesn't provide confidence that the remainder will survive scrutiny. This makes an appeal to "take a chance" on it even less desirable.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-25-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
[
Free will has nothing to do with determinism. That's what I said Sidhe. :sadcheer:

Interisting, in the book Lessans uses determinism, (or his peculiar definition of it) to prove that man does not have free will, now it has nothing to do with it. I don't believe that Peacegirl understands everything she thinks she knows about the book.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Strange though - no matter what I believe, my camera still works...
Why would it not? Efferent vision doesn't change the property of light or the fact that light must strike the lens for a picture to be taken.

Last edited by peacegirl; 08-24-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The statement above, "you can't really use Pascal's wager as a reason not to take a chance on this knowledge" shows you don't understand Pascal's Wager or how it applies and is also an appeal to Pascal's Wager.

Although you refuse to admit it, parts of Lessans' book have already been proved false by empirical testing, it doesn't provide confidence that the remainder will survive scrutiny. This makes an appeal to "take a chance" on it even less desirable.
Specious_reasons, there is no part of this book that has been proved false by empirical testing. The test that was supposed to prove that dogs could recognize their handler from a picture was far from reliable. What other empirical tests are you referring to?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
You keep saying the same thing in different words. So where do we go from here? Another 100 pages of non-discussion? :doh:
Quote:
You keep saying the same thing using the same old words. So where do we go from here? Another 100 pages of non-discussion?
Do I hear echos? :D

Quote:
Quote:
Translation: I am not interested in learning. I am especially not interested in learning anything that might tend to cast doubt on any of Lessans' claims.
As I said, this is a necessary truth even if you don't see it yet, so why aggravate myself with theories that do not come close to discrediting this knowledge. If Lessans is right, then it doesn't matter what links someone gives me, it cannot negate a principle that is based on natural law. Besides, Sidhe has not read the book. He has no conception of what Lessans even means when he says we don't have free will, yet he is so sure that Lessans can't be right.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Specious_reasons, there is no part of this book that has been proved false by empirical testing. The test that was supposed to prove that dogs could recognize their handler from a picture was far from reliable. What other empirical tests are you referring to?
Didn't I already say that you refuse to admit it? Why bother rehashing hundreds of pages of posts only to have you refuse the evidence again?

Real time, efferent vision is false. Period. It was disproven empirically before Lessans even wrote his book. You are incapable of understanding why and it's pointless to remind you. Simply re-read this thread to remind yourself of the dozens of ways it's been proved wrong. Better yet, go read The Lone Ranger's post you have so far ignored. I will not waste more time on your willful stupidity.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy