Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure where this reasoning is a non sequitur or where I'm indulging in semantics. Nevertheless, as long as you understand what is meant by "greater satisfaction", then at least we are on the same page and can move forward.
you didn't answer my questions. Peacegirl evasion is not very flattering to your argument.
What questions Sidhe? You have none.
:lol:

Too easy too fucking easy.

You... My... Wife... Now... Dave!
Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
Exercising my rights again.
I like your courage to say what you feel, and I especially like your sense of humor, but this is a serious discussion that is world changing. Just don't lose sight of that.
Quote:
It's not courage, it's just that I don't give a fuck. When you have nothing to lose by speaking your mind it takes little more than a keystroke.
You're right about that.
I am always right I am a God.

Quote:

Quote:
I wish you could get all of the prepackaged definitions out of your head while you're in this thread.
Quote:
You mean you wish you could get all the definitions to suit your version of reality by rewriting the meaning of everything so that it fits your bizarre fantasy.
Quote:
No, that's not true Sidhe. Have you not understood anything I've written?
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Well at least you admit it. That's a start. ;)
Admit that your unfathomable and bad logic leaves a lot to be desired. Of course...

La la.
Sidhe, as smart as you are, you're not very smart when it comes to careful analysis of this work. As I said, if you can't get the prepackaged definition of determinism out of your head (even temporarily), we can't have a discussion because the definition you are using is responsible for your cynicism.
Actually I would say I am very good at analysing his work.

If you can't agree even on definitions there's no point in even discussing anything.

I am smart its one of the few things I have going for me, that and trolling retards. And by that no I don't mean you, unless you are a troll in which case fine.
I can tell you most assuredly that you are not good at analyzing this work. Why can't you try to understand the definition he has put forth, even temporarily so we can move forward? You can always reject it later on. He was not trying to make something fit that did not. It just so happens that the standard definition of determinism is not completely accurate. Why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Sidhe, you are treating this thread like I joke, and I cannot continue this way. It makes a joke out of this thread, and I refuse to let that happen. I wish everyone happiness in their life, but unless someone comes forward who is truly interested in this discovery, I cannot continue. I do love everyone here, wherever they are at in their spiritual journey. ;)
You make it sound like no one has expressed a real interest in Lessans' work. This is not true. Many, myself among them, have expressed such an interest. We have, in fact, invested a considerable amount of time and effort on this subject. If, by your lights, we don't qualify as being truly interested, how would you define 'truly interested'.
Truly interested means temporarily putting aside any preconditioned ideas everything you think you know and replacing it with the things that Lessans thought he knew. Everybody has them, and it Knowledge is a big stumbling block in the ability to grasp this knowledge blindly accepting Lessans' unsupported claims as undeniable/scientific/mathematical truths.
:fixed:
Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sidhe, you are treating this thread like I joke, and I cannot continue this way. It makes a joke out of this thread, and I refuse to let that happen. I wish everyone happiness in their life, but unless someone comes forward who is truly interested in this discovery, I cannot continue. I do love everyone here, wherever they are at in their spiritual journey. ;)
You make it sound like no one has expressed a real interest in Lessans' work. This is not true. Many, myself among them, have expressed such an interest. We have, in fact, invested a considerable amount of time and effort on this subject. If, by your lights, we don't qualify as being truly interested, how would you define 'truly interested'.
Truly interested means temporarily putting aside any preconditioned ideas everything you think you know and replacing it with the things that Lessans thought he knew. Everybody has them, and it Knowledge is a big stumbling block in the ability to grasp this knowledge blindly accepting Lessans' unsupported claims as undeniable/scientific/mathematical truths.
QFT.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure where this reasoning is a non sequitur or where I'm indulging in semantics. Nevertheless, as long as you understand what is meant by "greater satisfaction", then at least we are on the same page and can move forward.
you didn't answer my questions. Peacegirl evasion is not very flattering to your argument.

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
I like your courage to say what you feel, and I especially like your sense of humor, but this is a serious discussion that is world changing. Just don't lose sight of that.
Quote:
It's not courage, it's just that I don't give a fuck. When you have nothing to lose by speaking your mind it takes little more than a keystroke.
You're right about that.

Quote:

Quote:
I wish you could get all of the prepackaged definitions out of your head while you're in this thread.
Quote:
You mean you wish you could get all the definitions to suit your version of reality by rewriting the meaning of everything so that it fits your bizarre fantasy.
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)
Admit that your unfathomable and bad logic leaves a lot to be desired. Of course...

La la.
Sidhe, as smart as you are, you're not very smart when it comes to careful analysis of this work. As I said, if you can't get the prepackaged definition of determinism out of your head (even temporarily), we can't have a discussion because the definition you are using is responsible for your cynicism.

If you can't agree even on definitions there's no point in even discussing anything.

I am smart its one of the few things I have going for me, that and trolling retards. And by that no I don't mean you, unless you are a troll in which case fine.
I can tell you most assuredly that you are not good at analyzing this work. Why can't you try to understand the definition he has put forth, even temporarily so we can move forward? You can always reject it later on. He was not trying to make something fit that did not. It just so happens that the standard definition of determinism is not completely accurate. Why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt?
Look its a basic tenant of philosophy that if you cannot agree on definitions there is no point discussing anything. So case is closed.

Your dad: determinism is x

Me: I disagree it is merely a leading to b in all cases, I would make the case that y is determinism and x is a canard.

Your dad: I disagree

Me: then there is nothing further we can discuss.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
You're just too funny.
Quote:
Quote:
You're right about that.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously not. ;)

La la.

Look its a basic tenant of philosophy that if you cannot agree on definitions there is no point discussing anything. So case is closed.

Your dad: determinism is x

Me: I disagree it is merely a leading to b in all cases, I would make the case that y is determinism and x is a canard.

Your dad: I disagree

Me: then there is nothing further we can discuss.
Whatever. You can make up any definition you want, and you can also deny that one plus one is two because you fail to see the relation. This isn't a made up definition to meet his cause. It's a definition that is accurate because it reflects reality. Your lack of desire to discuss anything further doesn't change anything. It just prevents our ability to communicate.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Not drowning. Waving.

Quote:
a basic tenant of philosophy...
...lives in the basement of the arts faculty, and can only be got rid of when he (it is almost always a he) retires, dies or turns out to be a paedophile, for he has tenure.

This message is prompted by an alarming slowdown in this thread's growth. Only 469 posts to go to make it to 10,000, people! Don't flag now!
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-18-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Quote:
a basic tenant of philosophy...
...lives in the basement of the arts faculty, and can only be got rid of when he (it is almost always a he) retires, dies or turns out to be a paedophile, for he has tenure.

This message is prompted by an alarming slowdown in this thread's growth. Only 469 posts to go to make it to 10,000, people! Don't flag now!
Lol that should of been tenet, brain fart.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nobody is telling you to blindly accept Lessans' claims. But the only way this knowledge is going to be understood (which would allow a person to be in the position to agree or disagree), is to put aside any prepackaged definitions because they will cause confusion. This knowledge is well supported and undeniable, but as Lessans said in the foreword,

"Please
remember that any truth revealed in a mathematical manner does not
require your approval for its validity, although it does necessitate your
understanding for recognition and development. And now my friends,
if you care to come along, let us embark; the hour is getting late.
"
Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nobody is telling you to blindly accept Lessans' claims. But the only way this knowledge is going to be understood (which would allow a person to be in the position to agree or disagree), is to put aside any prepackaged definitions because they will cause confusion. This knowledge is well supported and undeniable, but as Lessans said in the foreword,

"Please
"
You can't put aside the definitions that the philosophical consensus has forged though. That's the problem.

Let's say I want to convince you the sky is green right, now you will say that is absurd its clearly not except in very polar occurrences. What if I changed the definition mid argument of blue to green. Just how far do you think the argument would get before you realised it was pointless?
Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 PM

[quote=Sidhe;974269]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Please
"
Quote:
You can't put aside the definitions that the philosophical consensus has forged though. That's the problem.

Let's say I want to convince you the sky is green right, now you will say that is absurd its clearly not except in very polar occurrences. What if I changed the definition mid argument of blue to green. Just how far do you think the argument would get before you realised it was pointless?
Right now philosophy is trying to convince you that the sky is green when it comes to their futile definition of determinism. Do you not get it? It's a futile definition, and because it was here before anyone else, you don't question it. According to you, first come first serve. :( It is a phony definition. It's totally inaccurate. Do you not hear me???? It's WRONG SIDHE!!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned for death threats

[quote=peacegirl;974387]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Please
"
Quote:

Right now philosophy is trying to convince you that the sky is green when it comes to their futile definition of determinism. Do you not get it? It's a futile definition, and because it was here you don't question it. It is a phoney definition. It's totally inaccurate. It's WRONG SIDHE.
Philosophy is looking for common ground in terms so as to make an argument on firm grounding and logically robust, it most certainly does not make redundant definitions that no one would agree to then arm wave: that would be what Lessans seems to be doing.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:

"Please
"
There are four options with regard to Lessans' claims (or any claims). Ignore them, reject them out of hand, test them or accept them.

If we ignore his claims, end of story, no further discussion.

Rejecting his claims out of hand is functionally equivalent to ignoring them.

We test his claims by subjecting them to rational inquiry. If they hold up under such inquiry then, and only then, are we justified in granting them provisional acceptance. You object to this approach on the grounds that it does not give Lessans' a chance. In fact, it is the very definition of giving him a chance, a chance to convince us by means of rational argument.

If we accept his claims, even provisionally, without having tested them, then we are blindly accepting them. This is your criterion for being truly interested.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Please
"
Quote:
It's really not a problem unless you make it one.

Quote:
That's not what he is doing. He is just clarifying certain words, but you are so stuck on the prepackaged definition that you will not even entertain the possibility that he could be right. Please read this more carefully. Maybe it will sink in, but I won't hold my breath. You might just have too big of a block to overcome. :(

Determinism was faced with an almost
impossible task because it assumed that heredity and environment
caused man to choose evil, and the proponents of free will believed the
opposite, that man was not caused or compelled, ‘he did it of his own
accord; he wanted to do it, he didn’t have to.’ The term ‘free will’
contains an assumption or fallacy for it implies that if man is not
caused or compelled to do anything against his will, it must be
preferred of his own free will. This is one of those logical, not
mathematical conclusions.

The expression, ‘I did it of my own free
will’ is perfectly correct when it is understood to mean ‘I did it because
I wanted to; nothing compelled or caused me to do it since I could
have acted otherwise had I desired.’ This expression was necessarily
misinterpreted because of the general ignorance that prevailed for
although it is correct in the sense that a person did something because
he wanted to, this in no way indicates that his will is free. In fact I
shall use the expression ‘of my own free will’ frequently myself which
only means ‘of my own desire.’ Are you beginning to see how words
have deceived everyone?

Because of this misinterpretation of the expression ‘man’s will is
free,’ great confusion continues to exist in any discussion surrounding
this issue for although it is true man has to make choices, he must
always prefer that which he considers good not evil for himself when
the former is offered as an alternative.

The words cause and compel are the perception of an
improper or fallacious relation because in order to be developed and
have meaning it was absolutely necessary that the expression
‘free will’ be born as their opposite, as tall gives
meaning to short. Nothing causes man to build cities, develop
scientific achievements, write books, compose music, go to war, argue
and fight, commit terrible crimes, pray to God, for these things are
mankind already at a particular stage of his development, just as
children were sacrificed at an earlier stage. These activities or motions
are the natural entelechy of man who is always developing, correcting
his mistakes, and moving in the direction of greater satisfaction by
better removing the dissatisfaction of the moment, which is a normal
compulsion of his nature over which he has absolutely no control.
Looking back in hindsight allows man to evaluate his progress and
make corrections when necessary since he is always learning from
previous experience.

The fact that will is not free demonstrates that
man has been unconsciously developing at a mathematical rate and
during every moment of his progress was doing what he had to do
because he had no free choice. But this does not mean that he was
caused to do anything against his will, for the word ‘cause’, like choice
and past, is very misleading as it implies that something other than
man himself is responsible for his actions. Four is not caused by two
plus two, it is that already.

As long as history has been recorded,
these two opposing principles were never reconciled until now. The
amazing thing is that this ignorance, this conflict of ideas, ideologies,
and desires, theology’s promulgation of free will, the millions that
criticized determinism as fallacious, was exactly as it was supposed to
be.

Last edited by peacegirl; 08-18-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

"Please
"
There are four options with regard to Lessans' claims (or any claims). Ignore them, reject them out of hand, test them or accept them.

We test his claims by subjecting them to rational inquiry. If they hold up under such inquiry then, and only then, are we justified in granting them provisional acceptance. You object to this approach on the grounds that it does not give Lessans' a chance. In fact, it is the very definition of giving him a chance, a chance to convince us by means of rational argument.

If we accept his claims, even provisionally, without having tested them, then we are blindly accepting them. This is your criterion for being truly interested.
That is not true. I have adequately answered all of the rebuttals. If there is still confusion I don't mind trying to pinpoint what the problem is, but to throw this knowledge out for no other reason than you believe he can't be right, or to reject the claims because you don't like the idea of determinism, is not rational thinking in any sense of the word.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Please
"
Quote:

Right now philosophy is trying to convince you that the sky is green when it comes to their futile definition of determinism. Do you not get it? It's a futile definition, and because it was here you don't question it. It is a phoney definition. It's totally inaccurate. It's WRONG SIDHE.
Philosophy is looking for common ground in terms so as to make an argument on firm grounding and logically robust, it most certainly does not make redundant definitions that no one would agree to then arm wave: that would be what Lessans seems to be doing.
There are no redundant definitions here. Can't say the same thing for this thread. :yawn:
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That is not true. I have adequately answered all of the rebuttals.
Just keep telling yourself that. No doubt it makes you feel better about the time you have wasted here.

Quote:
If there is still confusion I don't mind trying to pinpoint what the problem is, but to throw this knowledge out for no other reason than you believe he can't be right, or to reject the claims because you don't like the idea of determinism, is not rational thinking in any sense of the word.
If I am rejecting Lessans' claims it is because they have been inadequately supported and defended. It has nothing to do with believing that he can't be right. It certainly has nothing to do with how I might feel about determinism. I am pretty sure that I have never even mentioned determinism at any point in our discussion. Others have, but not me.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is not true. I have adequately answered all of the rebuttals.
Just keep telling yourself that. No doubt it makes you feel better about the time you have wasted here.

Quote:
If there is still confusion I don't mind trying to pinpoint what the problem is, but to throw this knowledge out for no other reason than you believe he can't be right, or to reject the claims because you don't like the idea of determinism, is not rational thinking in any sense of the word.
If I am rejecting Lessans' claims it is because they have been inadequately supported and defended.
It is very well supported. You are not understanding that there always has to be a preference in order to break a tie between two or more choices, even if it's to do nothing, or do something completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk
It has nothing to do with believing that he can't be right. It certainly has nothing to do with how I might feel about determinism. I am pretty sure that I have never even mentioned determinism at any point in our discussion. Others have, but not me.
But you seem to think that

1. having two equal choices negates determinism because you can't move in the direction of greater satisfaction.

This is completely fallacious.

2. confusing what he meant by insisting that "nothing can make you do anything against your will" includes physical force.

He was not referring to physical force Angakuk. I've said this numerous times but you still seem to think that this negates his proof. It does nothing of the sort. Physical force is someone using their will against you; it has nothing to do with your will.

If you continue to believe that these two arguments negate this discovery, we obviously can't continue because you will keep referring back to them as if they mean something, which they don't because the logic is incorrect.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned for death threats

Peacegirl you seem to want to have your cake and eat it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
That just shows me you understand nothing.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Ironically I think the opposite is true and it is you that doesn't understand anything.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
Quote:
Typical rookie mistake. The Wisdom does not include cakes. It has puddings.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (08-21-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ironically I think the opposite is true and it is you that doesn't understand anything.
Your opinion is irrelevant Sidhe. You don't even know why man's will is not free. :sadcheer:
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your opinion is irrelevant Sidhe. You don't even know why man's will is not free. :sadcheer:
Neither do you and that is the rub!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You choose to believe that the issue of free will vs. determinism has not been solved...and probably never will. But it has been solved. That's the rub. :)
Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Banned for death threats

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You choose to believe that the issue of free will vs. determinism has not been solved...and probably never will. But it has been solved. That's the rub. :)
I don't choose I have no free will.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy