Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

For some reason, Lessans reminds me of John Cleese:

Shout out to That Girl from I, Claudius.

--J. "So You Can't See Me!" D.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
He clearly stated that all of love and marriage was, basically, sexual gratification. Will I dig up the quotes for you?
He did not say that. This is what he said:

Quote:
Consequently,
the moment a boy and girl hold hands and kiss they are to that degree
encouraging each other towards the possibility of something more and
more until some kind of sexual relation is reached; towards the
possibility of falling more and more in love. If they are in love with
someone who does not return this feeling, the intensity of their desire
to possess the other will depend on how close they will be allowed to
come to this physical possession.

Quote:
There you go - love as an extension of sex. And this is one of the least extreme cases. I will have a browse later this evening and find you some of the really god quotes in there.
He said that love is an extension of sex, if you're talking about eros love.

Quote:
The meaning of love after marriage
or sexual intercourse takes place is a horse of another color for the
intensity of their love for each other depends solely on the degree of
passionate satisfaction which proves conclusively that the greater the
sexual satisfaction the stronger will be their love
and further
demonstrates why there are so many divorces and so much adultery.
‘Forbidden fruit is sweet’ is a true saying when couples cannot find
satisfaction in marriage. Most couples remain together not because
they are still in love, but only because it is the lesser of two evils.
Quote:
Bold mine. Are you blind? He says it quite clearly!
I'm not denying that he said this. I don't think anyone would disagree that romantic love involves sex, and is the foundation for a healthy intimate relationship.

Quote:
He even went so far as to say that it was impossible to love someone who cannot satisfy you sexually.
He said that stronger the sexual satisfaction, the stronger will be their love, which is true, if we're talking about the "in love" type of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
You could love someone in a platonic way, but not in a romantic way. That's what he meant.
Quote:
That is a direct contradiction of the actual book. He spoke of no other kind of love, and clearly stated that all love was little more than an extension of sex.
Quote:
He spoke of many kinds of love. The entire chapter on children is about familial love; unconditional love. You don't know what you're talking about.
I am gobsmacked. Not only do you ignore all external evidence at all cost, you even deny things that the book quite clearly and blatantly states!

This is really teaching me a lot about religious fanaticism. It has nothing to do with the religion itself, and everything with the internalization of whatever the fanatic feels the religion bestows upon him or her. So we are not looking at something inherent within the religion itself at all - in fact it has next to nothing to do with it. What we are looking at is a severe case of identification with a perceived cause - and the fanatic could care less about what that cause actually is or strives for.
You don't know what you're talking about Vivisectus.

Quote:
Is this a bit of heresy you've got going on here? Are you disagreeing with the book, or are we witnessing the bowdlerization of the bible-stories at first hand here?
Quote:
No, it's you that is misunderstanding the text. Not me. :sadcheer:
Quote:
Fascinating.
Whatever floats your boat.:yup:
Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
For some reason, Lessans reminds me of John Cleese:

YouTube - ‪Meaning of Life - Sex Education‬‏

Shout out to That Girl from I, Claudius.

--J. "So You Can't See Me!" D.
Too funny, but you didn't win a price!!!!! No similarity to Lessans. :D
Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
LESSONS FROM LESSANS
The first in an occasional series.

*Theme music fades in, plays for a time, and then fades out*

:pimpbrezhnev:

Quote:
Should he not wish to wait until after dinner because he too was daydreaming and
impatient to extend an invitation, they could have sex right then and there (assuming no little ones are around), but how and where they make love will be up to them.

:eat:

:minnie:

:sadcheer:

:sadcheer:

:rant:

:cheer:

:stab:

*Cue theme music*
You've got a sick sense of humor David. Your psychotic episodes are becoming more frequent. Did you take your meds today? :chin:
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

I am fully serious though - you have gotten so enamored with the idea of being the champion of this pure and wonderful cause that you have stopped examining what this cause actually IS. I bet it actually goes against some of your principles. Your father explicitly stated that he felt all love was a simple extension of sexuality. You obviously don't feel that way - and bless you for that! I totally agree with you, and I knew somewhere deep inside that I wasn't arguing with a mere robot! How truly wonderful that there is some actual YOU left to rebel somewhere under all that hero-worship! You give me hope for humanity! :)

You see, I actually rather like Janis, the person. It is peacegirl the mindless follower that irritates the shite out of me. I wish you could just be you more of the time and could stop being such a lackey.

Rather than re-examine the reasons for your support of this awful little book, you decide to make it mean something else. No matter how obviously this requires a complete twisting of the mans words.

YOU read it again. I have tried to read it through your eyes - now you read it through mine. Re-examine it, and try to do so fairly - read it as if it was NOT a major discovery. I guarantee you will learn new things.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I am fully serious though - you have gotten so enamored with the idea of being the champion of this pure and wonderful cause that you have stopped examining what this cause actually IS. I bet it actually goes against some of your principles. Your father explicitly stated that he felt all love was a simple extension of sexuality.
No Vivisectus. He was telling it like it is, whether you believe it or not. Dr. Phil even said that when sex is not satisfactory for either partner, it becomes a major issue. When sex is going good, it doesn't even get on the radar screen.

Quote:
You obviously don't feel that way - and bless you for that! I totally agree with you, and I knew somewhere deep inside that I wasn't arguing with a mere robot! How truly wonderful that there is some actual YOU left to rebel somewhere under all that hero-worship! You give me hope for humanity! :)

You see, I actually rather like Janis, the person. It is peacegirl the mindless follower that irritates the shite out of me. I wish you could just be you more of the time and could stop being such a lackey.
You would like me because I am a compassionate, really nice person, if I say so myself. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you know. :wink:

Quote:
Rather than re-examine the reasons for your support of this awful little book, you decide to make it mean something else. No matter how obviously this requires a complete twisting of the mans words.
His words were accurate, and were only meant for good. You did not read this chapter, nor any of the chapters that would put all of this in context. You are doing the same thing that David and LadyShea have done this entire time. It's your mind that's in the dirt Vivisectus, because that's where your mind is taking you. I won't let you tarnish his name like this, if it's the last thing I do.

Quote:
YOU read it again. I have tried to read it through your eyes - now you read it through mine. Re-examine it, and try to do so fairly - read it as if it was NOT a major discovery. I guarantee you will learn new things.
Your responses betray your desire to understand this work, and I've said a thousand times that if you don't read with a desire to learn, you are not going to. It's no surprise that you've gotten nothing from this discovery, and I don't expect that you will any time soon.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Your responses betray your desire to understand this work, and I've said a thousand times that if you don't read with a desire to learn, you are not going to. It's no surprise that you've gotten nothing from this discovery, and I don't expect that you will any time soon.
:lol:

Translation: "If you don't switch off your brain and become a mindless zombie, you won't believe in impossible things that Daddy said were true, like efferent vision and real-time seeing."

Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As far as Lessans' claim regarding efferent vision, why can't you wait until further empirical evidence determines whether there is anything to the claim? What are you afraid of? If it's wrong, then we'll know soon enough. I know I know... you don't think there is anything wrong with the present model, so there's no reason to look any further.
...and we showed you empirical evidence we already have. You rejected it on the grounds that you "wanted to wait for experiments that are closer to earth". - as if that makes any difference. The lone ranger showed you the original experiment that we used to calculate the speed of light, which shows the same effect right here on earth - spin a wheel which blocks and unblocks a line if sight fast enough, and at one stage you will no observe the beam of light being sent through it because it will not have enough time to make it back through before it is blocked off.
I answered that. This does not disprove Lessans' claim at all. It just shows that the light is being blocked by the speed of the wheel. The light beams are already being emitted and there's a constant stream of photons, so if something is blocking that light, whether it's speed or a cloudy evening, or an eclipse, you're not going to see the object or the light itself.
And once again, you're either being dishonest or deliberately obtuse.

The entire point of the experiment is that nothing is blocking the light -- the visual pathway is entirely clear of obstructions.

If you set up a rotating wheel with a slit in it and shine a bright light -- say a laser -- through the slit in the wheel such that the light has time to reach and illuminate a distant object before the slit rotates out of position then all of Lessans' conditions for being able to see the object are met.

The object is fully illuminated, and there is nothing blocking the visual pathway. If we saw in real time, we would therefore be able to see the object being illuminated.

But if the slit is rotated out of position after the light has reached and illuminated the object but before the reflected light has had enough time to return to the viewer's eye -- then we can't see the object, even though it's brightly illuminated and the visual pathway to it was unobstructed while it was being illuminated. This experiment has been done many times, and the results are always the same.

This conclusively demonstrates that we don't see in real time, because all of Lessans' conditions for seeing are met and yet the object remains invisible to the viewer. Remember: the object in question is brightly-illuminated and there is a clear, unobstructed pathway between the viewer's eye and the object. The viewer should be able to see the illuminated object, therefore, according to Lessans.

But if the slit rotates out of position after the light has reached the object but before the reflected light returns to the viewer's eye, then the viewer cannot see the illuminated object.

So you're either lying or you're being willfully obtuse when you claim that this easily-performed experiment doesn't completely contradict Lessans' claim that we see in real time.

Well, in fairness, there's a third possibility: you're obtuse, but not willfully so. I'm trying to be generous here, though.
BTW, you never mentioned how far the distant object is that the laser is reflecting. It would have to be very far away for the slit to rotate out of position before the light actually strikes the eye, otherwise there is no way the slit could be fast enough to block the light in midstream. In other words, if it takes 1.3 light seconds for light to travel to the Earth from the moon, a laser would have to be aiming at an object that is as far as the moon for this experiment to work.

Last edited by peacegirl; 06-05-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Translation: "If you don't switch off your brain and become a mindless zombie, you won't believe in impossible things that Daddy said were true, like efferent vision and real-time seeing."

It's okay David, I know your delusions have gotten the best of you. Poor thing! :(
Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As far as Lessans' claim regarding efferent vision, why can't you wait until further empirical evidence determines whether there is anything to the claim? What are you afraid of? If it's wrong, then we'll know soon enough. I know I know... you don't think there is anything wrong with the present model, so there's no reason to look any further.
...and we showed you empirical evidence we already have. You rejected it on the grounds that you "wanted to wait for experiments that are closer to earth". - as if that makes any difference. The lone ranger showed you the original experiment that we used to calculate the speed of light, which shows the same effect right here on earth - spin a wheel which blocks and unblocks a line if sight fast enough, and at one stage you will no observe the beam of light being sent through it because it will not have enough time to make it back through before it is blocked off.
I answered that. This does not disprove Lessans' claim at all. It just shows that the light is being blocked by the speed of the wheel. The light beams are already being emitted and there's a constant stream of photons, so if something is blocking that light, whether it's speed or a cloudy evening, or an eclipse, you're not going to see the object or the light itself.
And once again, you're either being dishonest or deliberately obtuse.

The entire point of the experiment is that nothing is blocking the light -- the visual pathway is entirely clear of obstructions.

If you set up a rotating wheel with a slit in it and shine a bright light -- say a laser -- through the slit in the wheel such that the light has time to reach and illuminate a distant object before the slit rotates out of position then all of Lessans' conditions for being able to see the object are met.

The object is fully illuminated, and there is nothing blocking the visual pathway. If we saw in real time, we would therefore be able to see the object being illuminated.

But if the slit is rotated out of position after the light has reached and illuminated the object but before the reflected light has had enough time to return to the viewer's eye -- then we can't see the object, even though it's brightly illuminated and the visual pathway to it was unobstructed while it was being illuminated. This experiment has been done many times, and the results are always the same.

This conclusively demonstrates that we don't see in real time, because all of Lessans' conditions for seeing are met and yet the object remains invisible to the viewer. Remember: the object in question is brightly-illuminated and there is a clear, unobstructed pathway between the viewer's eye and the object. The viewer should be able to see the illuminated object, therefore, according to Lessans.

But if the slit rotates out of position after the light has reached the object but before the reflected light returns to the viewer's eye, then the viewer cannot see the illuminated object.

So you're either lying or you're being willfully obtuse when you claim that this easily-performed experiment doesn't completely contradict Lessans' claim that we see in real time.

Well, in fairness, there's a third possibility: you're obtuse, but not willfully so. I'm trying to be generous here, though.
BTW, you never mentioned how far the distant object is that the laser is reflecting. It would have to be very far away for the slit to rotate out of position before the light actually strikes the eye, otherwise there is no way the slit could be fast enough to block the light in midstream. In other words, if it takes 1.3 light seconds for light to travel to the Earth from the moon, a laser would have to be aiming at an object that is as far as the moon for this experiment to work.
No, you willful ignoramus. We can and do make rotors that spin fast-enough that the effect can be demonstrated when the object being illuminated is much less than a single mile away. As you'd know if you'd bothered to consult the links that you've been given, or if you'd bothered to make even a minimal effort to understand the experiments.
Thanks, from:
davidm (06-06-2011), Goliath (06-06-2011), LadyShea (05-02-2015), Qingdai (06-07-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's okay David, I know your delusions have gotten the best of you. Poor thing! :(
Hey, willful ignoramus, see The Lone Ranger's latest evisceration of your idiocy. :yup:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
[T]here IS no winning for Lessans.
I truncated your statement, but cannot be blamed because my will is not free. My path of greater satisfaction compelled me, of my own free will so to speak, to make it appear that you actually wrote something truthful.

Quote:
Let me say this one last time: Homosexuality is part and parcel of our environment, just like everything else is.
For large enough values of "environment," so is heterosexuality. Your point?

Quote:
Crime, hatred, poverty, war, are also part and parcel of our environment.
Ah, okay, THAT'S the point. "Part and parcel of the environment" in the lexicon of Lessantology means "stuff Seymour Lessans disliked and wanted to do away with." Like crime, hatred, poverty, war, and of course homosexuality. Also fat chicks.

You really need to lighten up on this issue. Your father certainly wasn't the first anti-gay bigot. Such prejudices were in fact quite common among men of his generation, and persist in distressingly high numbers even now.

Quote:
I truly don't think[.]
I have truncated another of your sentences. It once again gave me greater satisfaction to see you write a second true statement.

Quote:
You need to go to your corner Stephen and don't come out until you read the book, or you will go back to basic training. Why are you being booked for insuborination [sic]?
:laugh:

Oh my, you are gibbering uncontrollably. You're fast becoming the Sarah Palin of woo.

Since davidm was kind enough to quote the original version of your screed, I'll take the liberty of responding to some of the stuff you disingenuously edited out.

Quote:
Are you jealous that you, Stephen Maturin, doesn't have the mentality to have made this discovery himself?
I doesn't?! :ohnoes:

You have found me out! I am exposed! It is ALL TRUE!

I confess, I doesn't have the mentality to make such a discovery. Of course, the "mentality" in this case is that of a chronically butthurt and narcissistic horndoggy. Unlike Mr. Lessans, I very much enjoy speaking with my significant other, who I fell in love with quite completely long before seeing her genitals. I am verbose, but freely admit that Lessans puts me to shame in that area. I'm capable of epic stupidity, but nothing on the order that Lessans exhibits in The Sacred Text. I also lack Lessans' affinity for visions of "very young" "boys and girls" having sex. Yep, I do indeed lack the "mentality."

Quote:
I believe so.
You believe much.

Quote:
I hope the people in this thread recognize the source from which bullshit emanates.
:yup:

You've been lying your ass off from Day One. Please rest assured that no one has missed it.

Quote:
You're nuts, and I can't argue with nuts.
:yup: I'll cop to being nuts. My level of involvement in this thread is proof enough of that. :D I'm not "Let's don translucent robes and jack off to visions of 'very young' 'boys and girls' fucking" nuts like ol' Seymour was, but I'm nuts nonetheless.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (06-06-2011), davidm (06-06-2011), Demimonde (06-06-2011), Kael (06-06-2011), Naru (06-06-2011), SharonDee (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Spiffiest wanger

Hey peacegirl, do you know what the term "observable universe" means? You could, you know, do a Google search for it. Wikipedia has a wonderul discussion.

And did you know that the empirical reality of the observable universe is yet another incontrovertible proof that real-time seeing is wrong?

Not that Your Royal Highness will deign to sully her uncomplicated brain by actually Googling that term and undertaking a study of it.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

Quote:
Hey peacegirl, do you know what the term "observable universe" means? You could, you know, do a Google search for it.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Thanks, from:
davidm (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm Deplorable.

At risk of upsetting several people posting on this thread I must disagree with many of the assesments of Peacegirl. Contrary to what many have stated she is not willfully ignorant, she knows full well how the eye works and does not work. She is not stupid as she has consistantly replied to every objection to Lessans Book in a rather clever and creative manner, abet usually by being evasive and non-committal. I believe that she has not, in fact, rejected any of the empherical evidence presented, but was fully aware of it before commencing with this effort to promote the Book. It has been stated that she has a degree (college?) which would imply a certain level of education, and a certain body of knowledge. She has consistantly demonstrated her proir knowledge by knowing just what to disagree with, what to ignore, and just how to state and restate the book to keep everyone else posting in the attempt to convince her where she is wrong. Peacegirl has demonstrated a unique ability to keep everyone else posting in the hopes of some kind of realization on her part that what they are posting is true, but the joke is that she already knows, it's possable that she's just not done playing yet. Given the criticism of education in the book Peacegirls education would seem to be a contradiction unless Lessans actually had a high regard for education, lending credence to the idea that this was some kind of joke. I must agree with the opinion that she is dishonest, in that she has known all along the truth and the falacy of the book and the true intent of her father in writing it. She has been compelled to move in the direction of greater monitary satisfaction by maintaining the charade of believing that the book is real, in the hopes of attracting the gullible and easily impressed to spend an excessive amount of money on a book of no value, except for the entertainment of those in the know. The only thing that I cannot explain, at this time, is why she is continuing on this particular thread, that is something known only to Peacegirl.
Thanks, from:
davidm (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
The only thing that I cannot explain, at this time, is why she is continuing on this particular thread, that is something known only to Peacegirl.
  • 1. Because conflict is validation.
    2. Because this site does not ban users for stonewalling nor close threads.

--J.D.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 AM
an angry unicorn or a non-murdering leprechaun

The better question is why you, thedoc, followed her from another forum in order to rail against her ideas and at the same same decry any attempt to educate her. Which have been repeated ad nauseum. Almost as much as peacegirl's acertations, but not quite.

Quite the one two punch if I may say so.
SharonDee (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 AM
the internet says I'm right

Quote:
Hey peacegirl, do you know what the term "observable universe" means? You could, you know, do a Google search for it. Wikipedia has a wonderul discussion.

And did you know that the empirical reality of the observable universe is yet another incontrovertible proof that real-time seeing is wrong?
Olbers' paradox also becomes starkly important under the idea of efferent vision, although I suppose that one could be dodged by asserting that the universe is of finite size, and we just happen to live in the very center of it, which is why we can see the same distance away in every direction...
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demimonde View Post
The better question is why you, thedoc, followed her from another forum in order to rail against her ideas and at the same same decry any attempt to educate her. Which have been repeated ad nauseum. Almost as much as peacegirl's acertations, but not quite.

Quite the one two punch if I may say so.
From the other thread I thought she was a sincere human being, just misguided. Now, and for some time, I have found it amusing, from both sides.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
The only thing that I cannot explain, at this time, is why she is continuing on this particular thread, that is something known only to Peacegirl.
--J.D.

And somehow she is going to use this validation to sell books?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael View Post
Quote:

Olbers' paradox also becomes starkly important under the idea of efferent vision, although I suppose that one could be dodged by asserting that the universe is of finite size, and we just happen to live in the very center of it, which is why we can see the same distance away in every direction...

The hypothisis is that the universe is much larger than we can observe and we are in the center of the limit of our 'observable universe'. And the belief is that the universe is finite but unbounded, according to current cosmology.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

I dunno.

On the one hand, she can be remarkably clever in her ability to rationalize away any and all evidence which disproves her claims. She behaves exactly like the more clever Young Earth Creationists. She twists and turns in a desperate attempt to avoid any admission that her claims are illogical, unsupported, inconsistent, and flatly disproved. She redefines terms to suit her needs and shifts the goalposts whenever necessary. She ignores inconvenient evidence while insisting that none exists. Rathr than honestly address problems with Lessans' claims, she tries to shift the burden of proof by insisting that anyone who doesn't swallow Lessans' claims uncritically cannot understand them and/or is being close-minded. When it looks as if she might get stuck, she tries to distract with a change of topic. If necessary, she'll simply lie. In a worst-case scenario, she'll deny reality itself -- anything but admit that Lessans' might have been wrong in any way.

When all else fails, she seems to take General Melchett's advice to heart: "If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

It is indeed difficult to believe that she could possibly be as ignorant and as cognitively challenged as she pretends to be. How could someone so utterly close-minded and stupid actually manage to function?

On the other hand, if she thinks she's doing anything to disseminate Lessans' ideas in a positive way, she's truly deluded. No one here has done more to demonstrate the lunacy of Lessans' ideas than peacegirl herself.

After all, what she has made very, very clear is that it's only possible to take Lessans' ideas seriously by denying reality itself. Which, of course, is exactly what she has done on numerous occasions.

That she's more than willing to outright lie if she thinks that she can advance her cause thereby is something that's been apparent to even the most casual reader, almost from her first post.

Possibly, she's just trying to sell Lessans' ideas to the gullible and is doing a remarkably bad job of it. Possibly she's a True Believer who feels that Lying for Jesus Lessans is a justified tactic, since, in her mind, the ultimate outcome (a world remade in Lessans' image) justifies the means.

Or maybe she just enjoys the attention. It is a most perplexing thing.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger; 06-06-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Thanks, from:
beyelzu (10-20-2011), davidm (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
--J.D.

And somehow she is going to use this validation to sell books?
Never intended to imply the feeling of validation is rational.

--J.D.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
mindless copypasta that does notthing to support Peacegirls view
Not how the key thing here is light.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
No Vivisectus. He was telling it like it is, whether you believe it or not. Dr. Phil even said that when sex is not satisfactory for either partner, it becomes a major issue. When sex is going good, it doesn't even get on the radar screen.
You obviously haven' read the book in while. Lessans states clearly, multiple times, that all love is an extension of sexual desire, and that without sex there can be no love between a man and a woman. He states that one cannot fall in love with someone who cannot sexually satisfy you as well. It is one of the more unpleasant things he states, after the idea that it really doesn't matter who you end up in a relationship with, as long as they are sexually attractive to you.

Quote:
You obviously don't feel that way - and bless you for that! I totally agree with you, and I knew somewhere deep inside that I wasn't arguing with a mere robot! How truly wonderful that there is some actual YOU left to rebel somewhere under all that hero-worship! You give me hope for humanity! :)

I still wish you could stop being such a peon for your father. He uses you like a sock-puppet, even from beyond the grave, and all that so he can think of himself as cleverer than all those people with a real education.

Quote:
His words were accurate,
Hang on - weren't we "waiting for more empirical tests" etc etc etc? Are you saying that whatever your father says is right, until proven otherwise, and even then he is still right if we can somehow, somewhere find the smallest, most unlikely little nook or cranny to stuff some doubt into?

You are behaving like a fundamentalist again.

Quote:
and were only meant for good.
Weyhey! More fundy talk.

Quote:
You did not read this chapter, nor any of the chapters that would put all of this in context. You are doing the same thing that David and LadyShea have done this entire time

This is getting really, really old now. When in doubt, claim they haven't read the book. I am actually getting this FROM the book Peacegirl. Maybe you should read this chapter again.

Quote:
It's your mind that's in the dirt Vivisectus, because that's where your mind is taking you. I won't let you tarnish his name like this, if it's the last thing I do

I am not making your fathers work look stupid, although I may be assisting. It does that all by itself.

Quote:
You just say that because you are unwilling to understand that sex is the basic ingredient of all love, and that without sex there can be no love at all. By sticking to this preconceived notion that your father was wrong about this, you showing your unwillingness to really learn from his book, which, frankly, cheers me up more than I can say.

What we are seeing here, ladies and gentlemen, is our first schism in Lessanism, or LessThanIsm. From here on, there will be Orthodox Lessthanists, who follow the "Love through genitalia only" doctrine, and Reformed Lessthanists, who follow the Dating, but not Love through Genitalia doctine.

Which is a pretty god trick for a religion with only one follower. And let's face it - completely getting your prophesy wrong hasn't stopped any of the other religions, so that is no issue either.
Thanks, from:
But (06-23-2016), davidm (06-06-2011), SharonDee (06-06-2011), Stephen Maturin (06-06-2011)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy