I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
I can see that. I can now see why nobody would ever accept, or even consider, Lessans' observations because they believe they counteract the laws of physics.
No, it's actually because Lessans conclusions from his alleged observations were wrong, and we have seen no evidence that he ever made any observations, except in his own imagination.
That's your opinion.
At least my opinion is based on actual knowledge and facts, rather than fiction and fantasy.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Though I have a soft spot for Kermit, Animal was always my favorite muppet ...

:animal:
Thanks, from:
Kael (05-31-2011), LadyShea (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
There is evidence if you could only take the time to understand his observations. But I really think it's a lost cause. His observations are sound. You can tell me they aren't, and refuse to read further, and that's fine with me, but that in no way indicates his proof is not there. You will then say this book is my religion. Whatever!
Again - not agreeing must mean not understanding. That is arrogant nonsense unless you can support it, which neither you nor your father feel is necessary. You just call things astute or sound observations, and consider your say-so reason the believe enough.

I mentioned several objections to the observations that you were unable to deal with.
Quote:
If I did, it was not on purpose. So repeat them Vivisectus, and I will answer when I get to your question. There are so many question in front of me, that I will be told that I'm avoiding questions. Do you see the trap. Probably not. :(

Quote:
The fact that he was a very deep thinker was not my evidence of the soundness of this book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
It is far from a fact, and you have indeed used it as a argument and said that if there was a mistake he would have spotted it - so there must not be one.
Quote:
That's true, but not without a reason. You are acting like his defense is based on nothing more than an arbitrary decision to disagree with proven facts. This is NUTS VIVISECTUS, AND UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT TRUE, YOU WILL CONDEMN WITH A RESISTANCE THAT NO WOULD CAN PENETRATE.
Quote:
I know what you were doing, but it was not a fair analogy. There was support for the original statement that one of the justifications people unconsciously use --- if they are desiring to gain at someone else's expense (e.g. steal from someone, for example) --- is that they know that if they are caught, they will be blamed and punished, which gives them the advance justification they need in order to follow through with their desires. This is very much supported and the fact that you used such a lame analogy makes me think that you are doing what everyone else is doing; either pulling statements out of context, or looking for flaws and therefore not reading it with the intent of true understanding.
Quote:
It is one of the legs of your fathers tripod - if it is not a condition, then we have not dealth with the problem of evil, because there is still a way that we can harm others and your fathers system falls down.

It is not supported at all as far as I am aware - can you point out where and how it is? Because you were unable to about 100 pages ago and resorted to saying "I don't know why or how it works, it just does".
It is a definite fact that conscience needs a justification to hurt others. The hurt that someone experiences often leads to a lifetime of violence that can take many forms. To the average observer, it may look as if someone is just plain evil, but if you look deep enough, there is always a reason. If you can't even accept that, we have no basis for communication because all you keep saying is that if one of his pillars crumbles, his whole system falls down. Obviously.

Quote:
So what you're saying is I was supposed to learn something, not you. Actually, I have learned a lot and am still learning, but nothing that anyone has offered has proven Lessans wrong on any count. That's the truth, even if no one at this point believes that efferent vision is possible.
Quote:
All you have done is deny things - just like now, despite having been buried in simple empirical observations that make efferent, real-time vision impossible, you still claim there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the idea.
That's why this thread is doomed. You are now telling me I'm in denial with his first discovery, which hasn't even been discussed.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Though I have a soft spot for Kermit, Animal was always my favorite muppet ...

:animal:
Yes Kermit was a sort of a goodie-two-shoe, where Animal would have been a lot more fun, dangerous and exciting but fun.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 AM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
Something for all the intellectuals out there
Thanks, from:
mickthinks (05-31-2011), Stephen Maturin (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 AM

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
Stephen Maturin (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can see that. I can now see why nobody would ever accept, or even consider, Lessans' observations because they believe they counteract the laws of physics.
No, it's actually because Lessans conclusions from his alleged observations were wrong, and we have seen no evidence that he ever made any observations, except in his own imagination.
That's your opinion.
At least my opinion is based on actual knowledge and facts, rather than fiction and fantasy.
Maybe he didn't have it mapped out to everyone's satisfaction, but that does not make it fiction. There are still empirical tests yet to be done, but for now, I'm waving the white flag in surrender.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is evidence if you could only take the time to understand his observations. . His observations are sound.
You just call things astute or sound observations, and consider your say-so reason the believe enough.
Quote:
All you have done is deny things - just like now, despite having been buried in simple empirical observations that make efferent, real-time vision impossible, you still claim there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the idea.

None of these alleged observations have been presented in any kind of detail, there are no description of what he observed, or how. In any real presentation, other than fiction, the data is presented along with the conclusions. In this case there is no supporting data and the conclusions countradict all the data that has been gathered and confirmed by testing and observation by real scientists who know how to make accurate observations and record the data for future reference. In brief, put-up or shut-up. Show us the facts, not fiction based on a wild guess.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
There are still empirical tests yet to be done, but for now, I'm waving the white flag in surrender.

The testing has been done, there is no more that needs to be done.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is evidence if you could only take the time to understand his observations. . His observations are sound.
You just call things astute or sound observations, and consider your say-so reason the believe enough.
Quote:

None of these alleged observations have been presented in any kind of detail, there are no description of what he observed, or how. In any real presentation, other than fiction, the data is presented along with the conclusions. In this case there is no supporting data and the conclusions countradict all the data that has been gathered and confirmed by testing and observation by real scientists who know how to make accurate observations and record the data for future reference. In brief, put-up or shut-up. Show us the facts, not fiction based on a wild guess.
It is not fiction based on a wild guess, but you're right in the sense that there needs to be an acceptable model. I need more empirical evidence to see, once and for all, if any of his observations regarding sight could be true. Until then, I'm leaving it alone because I cannot win, and I don't want to win unless people feel confident that there is a factual basis supporting these observations.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 AM

I keep asking Nicole Kidman to do more "empirical tests" to determine the extent of my stalking our relationship.

:sadcheer:

--J.D.
Thanks, from:
But (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
There are still empirical tests yet to be done, but for now, I'm waving the white flag in surrender.

The testing has been done, there is no more that needs to be done.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Now you're sounding arrogant doc. You better stop yapping before your mouth muscles get you into trouble. :glare:
Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Yea, Buddy Rich was OK,

&feature=related
&feature=related
Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 AM

Like Brandon it keeps "posting for the last time."

Which is more pathetic? Brandon Hept Sophia or peacegirl's histrionics?

But is anything worse than Doris Dumbass' ANAL LEAKAGE?!!11!!

--J.D.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Now you're sounding arrogant doc. You better stop yapping before your mouth muscles get you into trouble. :glare:
L.O.L. Too late, Way too Late. L.O.L.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
I keep asking Nicole Kidman to do more "empirical tests" to determine the extent of my stalking our relationship.

:sadcheer:

--J.D.

I could think of other "Empirical Tests" I could do with Nicole Kidman, but the wife says I'm not allowed.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 AM

Maybe if peacegirl learned to use her fingers rather than her mouth [Stop that!--Ed.] when posting? Jeez! Take everything so literal!

--J.D.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
It is not fiction based on a wild guess, but you're right in the sense that there needs to be an acceptable model. I need more empirical evidence to see, once and for all, if any of his observations regarding sight could be true. Until then, I'm leaving it alone because I cannot win, and I don't want to win unless people feel confident that there is a factual basis supporting these observations.

You need to present the information that he is supposed to have gathered. You need to present the notes on the observations that he is supposed to have made. Till then it is all fiction based on imagination. you don't need more tests or evidence, show us the evidence your father gathered and based his conclusions on. New tests or evidence would not be relevant to his conclusions as they are after the fact. Without Lessans notes on his observations you have nothing, and without them he was no scientist, thinker, or mathematician, he left you with nothing.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm Deplorable.

two more good ones,

&NR=1&feature=fvwp
&feature=related
Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 AM

--J.D.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Damn, do I haft'a do everything for the party?

&feature=relmfu
&feature=related
How about a real race driver,

Beauty and the beast?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Flyover Hillbilly

:hotmoves:

Could someone direct me toward the mashed potatoes? :D

In the meantime, get get get get get get on down.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ~ S. Gecko

"What the fuck is a German muffin?" ~ R. Swanson
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 AM

Since when has Patrick been a "real race driver?"

--J.D.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
:hotmoves:

Could someone direct me toward the mashed potatoes? :D

Yea, right over there next to the table with the food, Peacegirl is holding them on her lap, if you're still interested. We had to find something useful for her to do.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy