Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature

Old 06-20-2024, 04:50 PM
I read some of your foolish scree, then just skimmed the rest.

Default A Thread for long form video and audio works that are not Podcasts.

I've realized I don't like podcasts, the informal back and forth chatter, which I realize is what many like about them, drives me crazy, especially as it's chatter I can't join or steer. Having a point come up that I'm interested in, only for a quip to side track the whole conversation to then never return to the one thing that peaked my interest, is infuriating in such a way that I would have rather just listened to silence. In hell I expect to find headphones that play a podcast with overly familiar chatty hosts using inside lingo that almost but never get to any point about any topic ever.

So here is a thread for longer form content that are not podcasts.
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (06-21-2024), JoeP (06-21-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 04:50 PM

Default Re: A Thread for long form video and audio works that are not Podcasts.

To start out, A Folding Ideas.
While knowing of James Rolfe or his work as the Angry Video Game Nerd (early 2008 Youtube) helps, this is only in part about James Rolfe.

Thanks, from:
fragment (06-21-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 08:39 PM
here to bore you with pictures

I've been listening to F.D Signifier, even though I don't always understand the cultural references:

Dissecting the Manosphere - YouTube

...and there's always HBomberguy

Plagiarism and You(Tube) - YouTube
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-20-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 02:38 AM
mesospheric bore

Folding Ideas is p. great.

Check out Esoterica if you have even a passing interest in the more unusual or unfamiliar strands of European and Mid-Eastern precursors to European religion, metaphysics, demonology and magic. Chances are you'll have that interest piqued further.

The Satanic Panic video is great, although it's a little different from the usual fare.

Ari (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:35 PM
Solipsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I've realized I don't like podcasts, the informal back and forth chatter, which I realize is what many like about them, drives me crazy, especially as it's chatter I can't join or steer. Having a point come up that I'm interested in, only for a quip to side track the whole conversation to then never return to the one thing that peaked my interest, is infuriating in such a way that I would have rather just listened to silence. In hell I expect to find headphones that play a podcast with overly familiar chatty hosts using inside lingo that almost but never get to any point about any topic ever.
I'm quoting your entire OP because yes. Although I go one step further and don't really like human voices at all.

(Or demonic / supernatural voices, I expect. In hell I expect to be stuck somewhere with voices in the next cavern that are on the one hand too quiet or muffled to make out clearly, and/or talking in languages that sound maddeningly familiar but I can't quite make out, but at the same time are definitely too loud to ignore, and always seem to be trying to get my attention - interspersed with occasional bursts of shouting; angry and arguing and becoming threatening.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
So here is a thread for longer form content that are not podcasts.
But I really wanted to ask about just this point. If someone has an audio production that is at least semi-regular, and consists primarily of a single speaker talking, with a theme and topic that interests you and a delivery that develops the topic well and gets to a decent conclusion ... would you not call that a podcast?

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-21-2024), Crumb (06-21-2024), Miisa (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Dancing redshirt

Yes, my reaction is that the definition of "podcast" here is much narrower than what is usually considered podcasts. Although, for instance, audio plays are very much not my thing, a lot of them are classified by the creators as podcasts if they are released to be downloaded.
Also interviews, often quite formal, are a huge subset of podcasts.
A few of the ones I do subscribe to are a single person presenting an often scripted monologue, but ultimately I am one of the weirdoes who prefers the banter ones. In real life people have told me I need to contribute to conversations people are having (rude!), but podcasts allow me to lurk happily without pressure. Some people do have a way of speaking that triggers me, and I have had to bow out from them, but that has little to do with what they are actually saying.
Ari (06-22-2024), Crumb (06-21-2024), JoeP (06-21-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 01:33 AM

Oh yeah I'm sure there are probably podcasts out there that I like but the number of times I've tried and turned them off has made me hesitant to look for others. I think I'm defining a podcast as a bit like a radio show where there might be a loose set of topics or a general topic but it's more off the cuff and stretched or shrunk to fit the allotted length, in comparison to video essays or lectures that are more organized.
Thanks, from:
JoeP (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 03:37 AM
here to bore you with pictures

Does 99% Invisible work for you? (Does it count as a Podcast?)
Thanks, from:
Ari (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:03 AM
Dancing redshirt

Indeed, 99% Invisible is one of the more essay-type ones that are quite journalistic most of the time and less chatty. But there are many others in topics that might align with one's interests.

It very much depends on the production company and even more on individual hosts how their shows fall on the sliding essay/formal scale. But it IS sliding, so difficult to draw a line.

Some I have listened to by Pushkin Industries are at the essay end, though only tried a few. You might want to avoid the Stuff franchise, they are often chatty, despite having specific topics. Though for instance Stuff You Missed in History Class tends to restrict their chats to their Friday episodes when they talk about making the episodes that week.
The major studios like the BBC ones are obviously more professionally produced, but the feel can vary, as can any pro radio show.

Sawbones can be very casual and chatty.
Ari (06-22-2024)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Arts & Literature