Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink

Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Cookering devices

Stupid lisapea made me learn shit and now I am considering these steel frying pans
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-07-2015), lisarea (03-03-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Bizarre unknowable space alien

Sorry to be late. Here you go. Since Lodge makes them and I know you like Lodge, why not go with them? From the pictures in the article, the ones that aren't bolted are welded on.
"freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Ed. v. Barnette
Thanks, from:
Dingfod (03-07-2015), LadyShea (03-07-2015), lisarea (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

I went ahead and ordered this Paderno black steel pan, largely because it's $17 and the right size and dimensions. It doesn't show any rivets in the handle, but one of the customer reviews complains about them sticking out too far, which indicates it does have them.

It hasn't even shipped yet, but I will update once it gets here and I get it seasoned and in rotation.

Oh, man, I cannot wait to throw away the terrible little pan it's replacing!
Thanks, from:
Janet (03-08-2015), LadyShea (03-07-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 PM

OK, you guys can all detach the tenterhooks you've been waiting on.

I got the pan a couple of days ago and did a stovetop seasoning. (I think I did seven or eight iterations of grease the pan, heat it up to smoking, wipe down, cool off.)

I just got the 8" pan, almost exclusively for cooking eggs, so I have made eggs in it now twice. The finish is still juvenile enough that when I tried the metal spatula, it scratched the seasoning layer a little too much for my liking, so I am going to use plastic or wood for the time being, but it's already better at non-stick than the stupid non-stick pan it's replacing. I used a little bit of butter to fry an egg just now, and it slid right out in a way that I've mostly only seen before on television.

And the handle is bolted on and feels pretty secure, so I'm happy about that too. As with my cast iron, I assume that as the seasoning layer builds up and improves, I'll be able to use metal again without damaging the seasoning.

At some point, I'll probably get a larger one as well, but for now, I can recommend Paderno World Cuisine black steel pans.
Thanks, from:
BrotherMan (03-17-2015), ceptimus (03-18-2015), Janet (03-26-2015), LadyShea (03-17-2015), livius drusus (03-17-2015), Qingdai (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 04:15 AM
puzzler

Bolted?

Does the handle get too hot? I don't want to have to use oven gloves with a frying pan.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM

The handle is metal with an I think enamel coating (it's that black paint with gray flecks, like on camp stuff, if you know what I mean).

It doesn't get too hot to handle just using it on the stovetop, though. It's just a li'l frying pan mostly for cooking eggs, so it's only on there for a little while. So pretty much like with cast iron. The handles are the same material as the body of the pan, but it just doesn't usually travel that far.

I checked just now, and most of my cookware has metal handles, even my big stock pots that stay on the stove all day, and they don't get too hot unless I put them in the oven. Which is the other factor: It almost has to have metal handles if you're ever going to use it in the oven.

Tangentially: When I make shakshouka, I start it on the stove, then finish it in the oven, and almost every time, I forget and pick up the pan by the hot handle and burn myself, a couple of times really badly. I have other things that I cook that way, but I only burn myself with shakshouka, and I do it almost every time. They make silicone handle sleeves for this kind of thing, but I feel like I should be able to just remember not to do that. I'll give it like five more burn injuries before I give up and get one for this stupidly narrow use case.
Thanks, from:
ceptimus (03-18-2015), Janet (03-26-2015), livius drusus (03-19-2015)

Freethought Forum > The Public Baths > Food & Drink