Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Maturin View Post
"Something crazy this way lies."

I think you should write a book, that is a really catchy title.

Maybe about some kids in a small town when an unsafe circus shows up at night?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
LOL, are you going to answer my question? Who do you think will confirm it? Is it neuroscientists?

I'm sure that there are qualified 'neuroscientists/mental health professionals' who would be ready to certify Peacegirl now, and Lessans, posthumously.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Or maybe some celebrity could get the ball rolling.

Right, 'some celebrity'? Celebrities do what their publicist tells them to do and if their publicist is ignorant about these things, the celebrity says dumb things.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
I can see the website got spruced up a bit! Results!

Good greif you make the shift button do a lot of work though. Every SECOND WORD seems to be IN CAPS - this is not wise when you are trying to SHED the impression that you are a CRACKPOT.

I can also see the Brave New World has been postponed to 2040. Pushing back prediction timelines is perfectly respectable behavior for people in the business of predicting the future: if it is good enough for most major religions, I do not see why it would not be good enough for you!
Vivisectus, the prediction has a qualification. The discovery has to be recognized by science. Then the Great Transition could very easily be possible by 2040. It all depends on how fast this knowledge spreads. It's a fair calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
But why 2040 specifically? How did you determine that things would be well underway by then?
Quote:
It was a guesstimate, which includes how fast knowledge is spreading due to technology and the information age. The year 2040 is not that far off where people will feel this has nothing to do with them. They may feel they have a chance to witness this great change in their lifetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus]Yeah. Something you made up because you figured people would like it.[/quote]

Quote:
That's not it. There is a reason for this guesstimate, which is an approximation of when this Great Transition could take place. We have the technology now (which Lessans did not have) that could reach the right people who could confirm this discovery. That's all that has to happen and this thing could explode. So I believe I gave a fair estimate under the conditions that this knowledge is studied thoroughly by people who can confirm it. That's all we need. Get excited instead of criticizing me at every turn.
[quote="Vivisectus
Your belief that it may be correct does not change the fact you made it up. I comment on this because you share your late fathers habit of passing your beliefs off as scientific or factual without being able to provide any sort of support for them. One particularly good example is your alleged research into child safety.
I did a lot of research on child safety.

Quote:
Your "which includes how fast knowledge is spreading due to technology and the information age" is just window-dressing: you are once again talking about things of which you haven't got the foggiest idea. You simply have no information on how quickly ideas spread in the past, how this compares to the current speed of ideas spreading, or how fast we could expect this particular idea to spread compared to others.
You're right. I don't have the ability to pinpoint exactly when this knowledge is going to be recognized, but I have hope due to the internet. It could spread like wildfire through my grassroots effort, and that's what I'm hoping for.

Quote:
Basically, you pulled a number that sounded nice out of a hat. That is not a "guesstimate". That is what we call "stuff you make up as you go along".
That is what I feel is feasible, but, once again, this knowledge needs to be brought to light before plans can be made to begin the Great Transition. All bets are off if this knowledge stays unrecognized. That is why getting people to the website is my next step, but I have to get my audio fixed first.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 12-18-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
This is very vague. Punished how, exactly? What form of punishment is Lessans advocating?
He gave a good example. If a child is using someone's sofa as a trampoline, and he doesn't listen to the parent to stop it, then the parent will have to resort to threats of punishment. But when children are given as much freedom as possible, and when they already know that this may not be preferred by the homeowner, this will not even be an issue. Children often do what they know will give parents a rise just to get back at them for constantly stifling their desires or making them do things they don't want to do.
That example was about this world, not the new world. Also you still haven't answered...punished how?
The example was related to how a parent would react in the new world which would be similar to this world. The parent would need to tell the child if he does it again, he will be punished. Punishment could mean that the parent would tell the child that they cannot come with them next time. That would be a natural consequence of the child's misbehavior. Or a parent could just say if you keep jumping on the sofa we are going to have to leave, and next time you won't come with us. This would let the child know that the parent means business. It would not have to be a harsh punishment for the child to get the message.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Also, children can become spoiled if they don't get their way. This requires parents to teach them that they cannot always get what they want, especially if what they want is imposing on someone else.
Hmm, I am studying. Lessans clearly states that we should never blame a child for their desires, and it is up to the parents to ensure that the child can fulfill their desires without imposing on anyone. He uses examples of having enough lemonade and milk on the table for all present children to choose their preference without anyone missing out, as well as all children in the house each having their own set of the exact same toys so nobody will desire what they do not have but the other child has. He also talks about giving identical gifts or favors to all children at a party, again to prevent desiring something different.
This was only in reference to very young children who are too young to conceptualize. He brought this up for the parent's benefit more than anything else. Giving lemonade to a 2 year old, and milk to another is bound to cause crying because children of this age see what another child has and want it too. This is discriminatory and invites arguments. It's a different situation for an older child although they also want to be treated fairly. If mother always gives one particular child a bigger slice of cake, and the other child the smaller slice, it may cause the child who gets the smaller piece to be jealous of his brother. Children have a very strong sense of fairness, and it is important for parents not to show favoritism.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
To better illustrate what I
mean, in order for a person to live in this world without blaming the
children he has three possibilities: He must not allow desire to be
aroused at all, must give up the things he likes but does not allow his
children to imitate (drinking, smoking, staying up late, etc.), or he
must allow children to choose what they want without giving up
anything. Anytime you stand in the way of your child’s desires, you
hurt yourself.
Quote:
Isn't it standing in the way of a child's desire to "teach them that they cannot always get what they want"?
Quote:
No, this is what causes rebellion.
Quote:
What is what causes rebellion?
When parents are always standing in the way of a child's desires, or telling them what to do which is often a roundabout way to get children to do their dirty work.

Quote:
Extending this law of our nature, we must allow children to move about as freely as possible, as long as their desires are not infringing on anyone elses'. Remember, we are living in a free will environment, so it may be in the parent's best interest to structure the child's environment such that he cannot always do what he wants in order that he does not get in trouble with the law, or get hurt himself. This will not be an issue that comes up in the new world.
Quote:
Structuring the environment is not "teaching a child that he can't always get what he wants" in order to avoid spoiling him though, is it? We were talking about the New World, not todays.
I was discussing the importance of structuring a child's environment in today's world because of temptations that are out there that could get a child in trouble. This will not be necessary in the new world because children will not get into the same kind of trouble they do in today's world. As far as avoiding spoiling, he explained that anytime something involves you, you have the right-of-way to tell him no. But it's also important not to create habits so that he doesn't expect something from you that you cannot give him.

p. 460 As we begin to understand the various ways children are
hurt, and the ways in which children are made to hurt their parents
who have been blaming them for what is their own responsibility, we
are able to prevent the conflicts that have disrupted family life. Since
the parents do not like to disappoint a child who asks for things they
want, or for favors which they cannot always give without annoying
or hurting themselves in some way, they are compelled to prevent,
without blame, a child from ever asking for this or that just as if he
knew what it means that will is not free.

As many parents can attest to, habits
often develop under our noses and can be a source of frustration by
encouraging undesirable behavior patterns which then have to be
broken by blaming the child. Durant, by dancing for joy at his
daughter’s good marks is giving her a certain amount of
entertainment which develops a habit that encourages her to study
hard to get these real good marks in order to watch her father dance
for joy; but supposing he doesn’t feel like dancing, what then? The
child is disappointed which blames her father and justifies not getting
any more good marks.

Just as Durant had to jump for joy over his
daughter’s progress in order to reward her, one father started out by
giving a child a penny for this, a nickel for that, and a dollar when
getting this and that together. Soon he was paying out more than he
could afford, and how was it possible to stop without disappointing
and blaming the child? What is given influences the child to do what
is really not desired because of some intrinsic value to him, which
makes him stop working when not paid. And what about the many
things parents give that involve their desire, their having to do
something such as dancing for joy or taking a child somewhere in the
car or getting down on their hands and knees to play with him even
when they are not in the mood just because the child expects this, and
the parents don’t want to disappoint him although it is tiring them
out.

If you disappoint children, even with an explanation, they resent
it which you can only compensate by renewing your promise for
another time. Before long you are under a tremendous obligation to
do many things you really don’t want to do. However, this problem
is very easily solved by giving children absolutely no gift directly and
nothing in payment for something else, for the latter imposes an
obligation while the former develops a habit of expectation which is
often followed by disappointment. It also associates the giver with the
gift which encourages partiality and makes a child possessive. This, in
turn, engenders feelings of envy and jealousy.

When a child expects
what you cannot always give, you are compelled to blame him for
being so annoyed with a situation that you created. If you prefer such
annoying actions, this is your business, for which you will never be
blamed, but how is it humanly possible to prefer what can only be a
source of unhappiness where everyone is concerned since the children
will always expect more than can be given. By the same reasoning, no
praise or compliments are given to a child for anything at all because
this places a fallacious value on what is being done since the
motivation has shifted to something external.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessans
Let me remind you that from the day of their
birth children cannot be blamed for anything which means that you
are compelled to prevent, without any form of tacit blame, what you
do not want.
Quote:
Again, how does "discipline" fit in here? What form of discipline? How is teaching them that they cannot always get what they want not blaming them for their desires? I can find nowhere where Lessans says children must me taught that cannot have what they want, in fact he goes to great lengths to say the opposite, so is that your own idea?
Please show me where Lessans said young children must be taught that they can't always get what they want or where he even implies that. I am talking about in the new world.
Obviously children cannot always get what they want, and when those situations come up, the parent will say "no," but only on those occasions where there is a conflict of desires, or if the child is doing something that could hurt someone.

p. 428 It is obvious that a child
could never desire to jump on any sofa once he knows that this is a
definite hurt for which there would be no punishment or blame of any
kind. An important question was brought up that needs to be
addressed: “What if a child wants to do something but he cannot do
it for himself? For example, what if a six year old should ask, ‘Daddy,
will you run me over to Grandma’s house, I want to see her?’ What
if the father says ‘no’ because he is not in the mood to go at that
moment. By turning the child down, isn’t the father blaming his
desire?”

In this situation the father is not blaming the child for wanting to
go to Grandma’s house, but he must consider his desire as well. When
walking in while his father is watching television because he wants to
watch also, the child is not asking his father to do anything, but
should he say, “Daddy, I don’t like that show, will you please change
it?”... then we have a different problem. Since the child has not yet
learned what it means that his will is not free, we have a perfect right
to refuse the satisfaction of a desire that involves or hurts us.

If the
child wants to go to Grandma’s house, the child’s desire is to see
grandma, not necessarily that daddy take him, therefore it may be
possible to get him over there without sacrificing daddy’s desire not to
go. If, however, there is no other way to get him there and the father
still doesn’t want to go (the father has the right-of-way), then he must
explain to the child that he does not mind him going if transportation
can be provided. Should he insist that his father take him, under no
conditions must he give in because this develops a spoiled child who
will make all kinds of demands.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
You have got to be fucking kidding me. Does this shit makes sense, even to you? You are saying, in essence "We want as many people to read this as possible, but please don't share your copy with anyone because they need to pay up!" Also, there is no way to "check up on" anyone, unless you put in device limited passwords, which seeing as how you can't get a MP3 player to work after 400.00, I doubt you could even think about.
She charged $300 to help me fix the site, and another $95 an hour to work on the mp3 issue. She still didn't end up helping me and told me that she spent 2.5 hours, so just to do this would have been $250 for nothing. I can't use her anymore because it's way too expensive. I need someone who will work for $25 an hour.

Quote:
Note: Please understand that this site is built on trust in order that we may promote this important message. Therefore, when you buy the ebook, we are kindly asking you not to share your password with anyone. No one will be checking up on you, but we hope you won’t desire to do this as it will interfere with our efforts in bringing this discovery to light. We have made the availability of this knowledge as low cost as possible so that everyone will have an opportunity to study it. In so doing, we trust that you will not sabotage what we are working so hard to achieve. When you read what this author went through in his lifetime and the many failed attempts to be heard by the scientific community, it is my hope that you will understand the importance of this endeavor and heed my plea. Thank you for being part of this grassroots effort.
Quote:
You also switched from "we" and "our" to "I" and "my" mid paragraph. Good grief.
No I didn't LadyShea. Underline the sentence where I did this. And there is nothing wrong with telling people in a nice way not to share their password. Some people don't realize that sharing passwords is cheating and could end up ruining our efforts, so it's just a gentle reminder.

Last edited by peacegirl; 12-18-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
You need a better player with the ability to play, pause, rewind et. This one looks functional http://www.cincopa.com/media-platfor...podcast-player
For some reason these plug-ins become disabled every time wordpress is upgraded, or they just aren't compatible. My designer was supposed to be an expert and she could only offer me this awful player as the only plug-in that worked with my audio files. I don't get that. My files are formatted as an mp3, which is universal. Someone will need to help me with this. I feel like I'm wasting money.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
There is absolutely no conclusive proof that dogs can recognize their master from a photograph.
What does the preponderance of evidence suggest?

Quote:
What if the claim regarding the eyes sounds so outlandish to some that the reviewer can't get past it and, therefore, judges the book harshly?
That would be a fair review. It should be judged harshly for that. If Lessans was going to make such extraordinary claims then he should have been careful to support them with appropriately convincing evidence or argument. He didn't.

Quote:
Do their opinions (which is all they are) accurately reflect the value of this knowledge?
Informed people's knowledge allows them to accurately judge the value of Lessans' and your own uninformed opinions.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the libertarians and the compatibilists are confused in their logic. This topic brings out a wide range of emotion, as you can see in this thread. Look how angry Spacemonkey gets when I tell him that freedom of the will and determinism are not compatible.
You are projecting. I'm not angry with you. I fully expect you to irrationally weasel and resort to dishonesty, so I cannot be angry when it happens. What readers see is that when you are soundly refuted with arguments you cannot meet, you resort to saying you need a break and don't want to discuss it with me anymore. Then you go right back to repeating the same points that have been refuted.

Quote:
We obviously understand the problem. If man's will is not free, how can we hold anyone accountable for their actions?
Not 'free' in what sense? You've already confirmed several times that the only kind of freedom you will even recognize as falling under this label is incompatibilist libertarian freedom. So when you claim we are not free, all you are actually saying is that we don't have the kind of freedom that compatibilists agree we do not have.

Quote:
This has been the stumbling block for centuries, but my father continued to work the problem backwards by extending the corollary and was able to find the solution.
It's been your stumbling block for decades. All your father did was hilariously argue against himself without realizing it, by advocating a two-sided non-equation consisting of a compatibilist argument and an incompatibilist argument that flatly refute each other.

Quote:
The faster I can get people to my website, the faster this knowledge can spread. You must bear in mind that when I say 2040 is the time when all war will come to an end, it is based on the conviction that this knowledge would have already been thoroughly investigated.
It's based on nothing at all. No measurement, calculations, or reasoning of any sort. You just made up a number that you thought would sound good. You are just making shit up as you go along, just as your equally deluded father did.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 12-19-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013), LadyShea (12-19-2013), The Lone Ranger (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
My designer was supposed to be an expert...
What steps did you take to verify this?

Quote:
I feel like I'm wasting money.
I'm sure you are.
Angakuk (12-24-2013), LadyShea (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
I feel like I'm wasting money.

You've wasted more than money, for the last 10+ years.
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

After using "we" through the paragraph you suddenly switch at the end.
Quote:
it is my hope that you will understand the importance of this endeavor and heed my plea
Quote:
And there is nothing wrong with telling people in a nice way not to share their password. Some people don't realize that sharing passwords is cheating and could end up ruining our efforts, so it's just a gentle reminder.
1. Who is "our" in "our efforts"?
2. How do you suppose that people reading the book could "ruin" your efforts? Isn't that the goal, to get lots of people reading and sharing the information?
3. "Cheating"? How is sharing information you are (hypothetically) excited about cheating? If they had a paper copy of the book, they could freely share it with whomever or sell it at a discount...is that also "cheating"?
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013), Dragar (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
I think you are using the word "research" here in the same way people use it when they say they have done a lot of research about what new car to buy, or set of cookware. Which basically means they informed themselves to some degree.

I can refer here too to your "research" into marketing. Which is basically reading stuff on the internet that you like the look of every now and then.

Quote:
You're right. I don't have the ability to pinpoint exactly when this knowledge is going to be recognized, but I have hope due to the internet. It could spread like wildfire through my grassroots effort, and that's what I'm hoping for.
Like I said.

Quote:
Quote:
Basically, you pulled a number that sounded nice out of a hat. That is not a "guesstimate". That is what we call "stuff you make up as you go along".
That is what I feel is feasible, but, once again, this knowledge needs to be brought to light before plans can be made to begin the Great Transition. All bets are off if this knowledge stays unrecognized. That is why getting people to the website is my next step, but I have to get my audio fixed first.
I thought it was God's plan for this to happen? Looks like the totally non-religious, non-personal God who is natural laws really but who still has plans and intentions (funny thing. I wonder what Gravity is planning, now that natural laws can have plans?) has the same problems as the old, personal one: all-powerful, and yet stuff keeps happening that are almost impossible to imagine him to actually want to happen.
Thanks, from:
Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
After using "we" through the paragraph you suddenly switch at the end.
Quote:
it is my hope that you will understand the importance of this endeavor and heed my plea
Quote:
And there is nothing wrong with telling people in a nice way not to share their password. Some people don't realize that sharing passwords is cheating and could end up ruining our efforts, so it's just a gentle reminder.
Quote:
1. Who is "our" in "our efforts"?
2. How do you suppose that people reading the book could "ruin" your efforts? Isn't that the goal, to get lots of people reading and sharing the information?
3. "Cheating"? How is sharing information you are (hypothetically) excited about cheating? If they had a paper copy of the book, they could freely share it with whomever or sell it at a discount...is that also "cheating"?
You're right. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I wrote it quickly and didn't go over it thoroughly. I have been questioning whether to keep that paragraph in at all.

I don't think it's honest for people to share their password so that others don't have to buy it. If it's a free download, that's one thing, but if it's not, then doing this is cheating, which has been a major loss for the music industry. I may end up asking for a donation and see what happens. I don't want money to get in the way of people reading it, plus I don't want people to share the password and think they are getting away with something.

Last edited by peacegirl; 12-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
There is absolutely no conclusive proof that dogs can recognize their master from a photograph.
What does the preponderance of evidence suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercon View Post
What if the claim regarding the eyes sounds so outlandish to some that the reviewer can't get past it and, therefore, judges the book harshly?
That would be a fair review. It should be judged harshly for that. If Lessans was going to make such extraordinary claims then he should have been careful to support them with appropriately convincing evidence or argument. He didn't.

Quote:
Do their opinions (which is all they are) accurately reflect the value of this knowledge?
Informed people's knowledge allows them to accurately judge the value of Lessans' and your own uninformed opinions.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the libertarians and the compatibilists are confused in their logic. This topic brings out a wide range of emotion, as you can see in this thread. Look how angry Spacemonkey gets when I tell him that freedom of the will and determinism are not compatible.
You are projecting. I'm not angry with you. I fully expect you to irrationally weasel and resort to dishonesty, so I cannot be angry when it happens. What readers see is that when you are soundly refuted with arguments you cannot meet, you resort to saying you need a break and don't want to discuss it with me anymore. Then you go right back to repeating the same points that have been refuted.

Quote:
We obviously understand the problem. If man's will is not free, how can we hold anyone accountable for their actions?
Not 'free' in what sense? You've already confirmed several times that the only kind of freedom you will even recognize as falling under this label is incompatibilist libertarian freedom. So when you claim we are not free, all you are actually saying is that we don't have the kind of freedom that compatibilists agree we do not have.

Quote:
This has been the stumbling block for centuries, but my father continued to work the problem backwards by extending the corollary and was able to find the solution.
It's been your stumbling block for decades. All your father did was hilariously argue against himself without realizing it, by advocating a two-sided non-equation consisting of a compatibilist argument and an incompatibilist argument that flatly refute each other.

Quote:
The faster I can get people to my website, the faster this knowledge can spread. You must bear in mind that when I say 2040 is the time when all war will come to an end, it is based on the conviction that this knowledge would have already been thoroughly investigated.
It's based on nothing at all. No measurement, calculations, or reasoning of any sort. You just made up a number that you thought would sound good. You are just making shit up as you go along, just as your equally deluded father did.
I have no time for you Spacemonkey. It is you that is deluded, and I am sick and tired of your constant put downs. I will say one last thing. This discovery is not compatibilist. You are lost in your logic. It's filled with cobwebs. And who the hell is Tercon? :eek:

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I have no time for you Spacemonkey.
Thank you for proving my point.

Quote:
It is you that is deluded, and I am sick and tired of your constant put downs. I will say one last thing. This discovery is not compatibilist. You are lost in your logic. It's filled with cobwebs.
More assertions. Nothing at all to back them up.

Quote:
And who the hell is Tercon?
Now fixed.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
I think you are using the word "research" here in the same way people use it when they say they have done a lot of research about what new car to buy, or set of cookware. Which basically means they informed themselves to some degree.

I can refer here too to your "research" into marketing. Which is basically reading stuff on the internet that you like the look of every now and then.
I did a lot of research as to the causes of serious and lifethreatening accidents, which then led me to writing a children's book since there aren't many out there for elementary school aged children.

Quote:
Quote:
Like I said.
This is a prediction based on where our planet is at the moment, and the desire on the part of world leaders and the public to find answers to these serious issues. The internet also gives me a platform in which to spread this knowledge, which is another positive development my father never had. So I still stand by this date although I cannot pinpoint down to the exact day. What I can do is predict when it is possible for this change in history to take place, and it's very plausible that this could happen if I get this discovery out fast enough.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought it was God's plan for this to happen? Looks like the totally non-religious, non-personal God who is natural laws really but who still has plans and intentions (funny thing. I wonder what Gravity is planning, now that natural laws can have plans?) has the same problems as the old, personal one: all-powerful, and yet stuff keeps happening that are almost impossible to imagine him to actually want to happen.
This is God's plan (i.e., the laws of nature) meaning that we have no control over this world coming into being. We cannot move against what [we believe] is best for ourselves, and when this discovery is confirmed valid we will have no choice once we realize that there is a way to prevent war, crime, and hatred. So far we haven't had a solution, but now we do. How can anyone want to remain in a world like this, when there is a much better alternative?

p. 284 The economic system I just described is mathematically possible
— but only when all people understand what it means that man’s will
is not free. These principles are just as undeniable when thoroughly
understood as any mathematical equation; and when political leaders
of the world recognize that it is now possible to unite all nations in
such a harmonious agreement that the causes of war and crime can be
entirely eliminated not only without hurting anyone but while
benefiting all mankind, this knowledge will spread quickly throughout
the earth. Until then, we will be forced to live in our present world as
a lesser of two evils.

Remember, in conclusion, my prediction that all
war will come to a permanent end in the next 25 years is not like the
prediction that an eclipse will occur at a given time because the
astronomer has nothing whatever to do with the motion of these
bodies and the crossing of their paths. All he is doing is charting their
course. Mine, however, is equivalent to the one a philanthropist
makes that a certain university will receive a donation of one million
dollars on a given date because he is the one who intends to donate
this money on that date.

I am donating to mankind this scientific
discovery that gives man no choice as to the direction he is compelled
to travel, once the principles are understood. Until that time, your
help, your willingness to learn about these principles and understand
them is needed. And once you understand them, you will be
compelled, of your own free will, to spread the news. When the fuse
is lit and this knowledge spreads to those who not only recognize its
significance but who also have the influence to lay it before those who
can disseminate it even more rapidly, then it will not take long before
we will develop this world of unmatched splendor wherein no one will
ever be hurt, and everyone will have sustenance and health. We are
given no free choice in this matter because God has taken it out of our
hands as we are compelled to move in this direction for greater
satisfaction.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM

The "music industry" has lost nothing. There has been a lot of whining, but many bands, especially new ones, have ultimately profited from pirated downloads by becoming known to a larger audience and increasing their fan base, who then pay to attended their concerts and buy their music.

Don't let oily execs tell you how the world works, look a little deeper and see that they are full of shit. People don't share things with their friends unless they are excited about it on some level. It's just that much more exposure.
Thanks, from:
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
I have no time for you Spacemonkey.
Thank you for proving my point.
You're very welcome.

Quote:
And who the hell is Tercon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
Now fixed.
And now it's fixed that I have no more time for you.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
The "music industry" has lost nothing. There has been a lot of whining, but many new and unknown bands have profited from pirated downloads by becoming known to a larger audience, who then paid to attended their concerts and bought their MP3s.

Don't let oily execs tell you how the world works, look a little deeper and see that they are full of shit.
I know all about their profiting due to pirates. The point is it is still a major problem, and I guarantee you that if they could have it stopped they would, as much as they try to justify it in order that they don't feel completely ripped off.

Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-24-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You're very welcome.

And now it's fixed that I have no more time for you.
Every time you choose to make a bullshit claim about me in a post to someone else, I'll return to remind you of how you've given up any attempt to rationally respond to my arguments refuting your father's nonsense.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I know all about their profiting due to pirates. The point is it is still a major problem, and I guarantee you that if they could have it stopped they would, as much as they try to justify it in order that they don't feel completely ripped off.
Piracy is hardly your biggest problem right now. At present no-one wants your book at all, whether paid for or for free.
Angakuk (12-24-2013), Dragar (12-19-2013), LadyShea (12-19-2013), Stephen Maturin (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM

LOL, exactly Spacemonkey. She is worried about piracy and whatever irrational thing she is concerned about making it a Kindle book, yet she says she really wants people to read it.

You do not have an in-demand product here, peacegirl. You should be handing out free copies left and right or nobody but those of us you've talked to on the Internet will know anything about it. If your shit is being stolen, you will know you have reached your goal of people wanting to read it.
Quote:
Piracy may be the bane of the music industry but according to a new study, it may also be its engine. A report from the BI Norwegian School of Management has found that those who download music illegally are also 10 times more likely to pay for songs than those who don’t.

One of the most comprehensive studies into media sharing and consumption habits in the United States and Germany reveals that file-sharers buy 30% more music than their non-sharing counterparts. The result confirms that file-sharers are actually the music industry’s best customers. In addition, the research reveals that contrary to popular belief, offline “copying” is far more prevalent than online music piracy. Is piracy really a Mega problem? | Computing As You Like It
e-Book piracy is almost non-existent with the exception of required University textbooks. So you're probably safe unless a teacher assigns your book!
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...evisited/?_r=0

Last edited by LadyShea; 12-19-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Thanks, from:
Old 12-19-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:

The one who would be 'cheated' is Peacegirl, out of her book sales, which tells me that selling books is her main purpose and has been all along. She claims that spreading this knowledge is most important, but protecting her sales and maximizing her profits seem to be more important.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Now in six dimensions!

Quote:
...which has been a major loss for the music industry.
Oh no, a state granted monopoly isn't such a monopoly any more! Whatever shall we do!

Seriously, it's like you keep posting things you have zero understanding of.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy