Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
I am curious as to the reason for this latest return after exiting, peacegirl.
She was compelled in the direction of greater satisfaction. And that makes as much sense as Lessans book.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
What about using a compass which points north, south, east, west? Doesn't that show depth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus
No, it shows coordinates according to a grid. That grid can be flat or sitting like a net around a globe.
Thanks for the explanation.

Quote:
What you're saying is that because they believe there is a preponderance of evidence in their favor, they feel they are being treated unfairly, and this is the exact situation that exists with the claim regarding the eyes.
Quote:
Not exactly, though I am sure this would be their point of view. I am saying that they want to believe the earth is flat for various reasons, and that this leads them to treat evidence in favour of this idea according to a different standard than evidence that is against it.

For example, quite a few of them believe the earth must be flat because it is described as such in the Bible. They assume the Bible is correct, and then work backwards, looking for anything that works witht heir idea, and thinking up ways to discredit anything that works against it.

Thus, images from space are discredited on account of the global conspiracy they believe is producing them, while the faulty experiments conducted by a 19th century surveyor are considered compelling evidence.

You have a very similar approach.
That's not true. Lessans didn't start out with any assumptions which he then had to find support for.

Quote:
All I can say to this charge is that Lessans was an observer of reality.
Quote:
Yes, all you can do is claim that, but you can never support it.
I'm supporting that claim as best I can. You never gave him a chance.

Quote:
Moreover, the comparison isn't fair. Just because flat earthers say they are right even though, according to scientists, they are wrong given the compelling evidence to the contrary, does not mean that just because Lessans says he is right even though, according to scientists, he is wrong given the compelling evidence to the contrary, that he is necessarily wrong.
Quote:
What is unfair about it? You have even less convincing evidence than they do. And like them you demand special treatment: you happily dismiss the flat earth theory, but you demand that your idea is not dismissed.
I never thought much about the flat earth theory. If there is compelling evidence then they should be heard. If there is a preponderance of evidence favoring the round earth theory, this theory should remain. You are too quick to reject Lessans' observations. There is evidence that the eyes don't work the way the other sense do. He saw this in an indirect way, which is why he could make these claims without being a biologist. Because you think he has no evidence, you'll have to wait to see if empirical testing supports his observations. One thing is for certain, his observations are anything but an assertion.

Quote:
These are two different cases and they stand on their own merit. It is too easy to classify a claim as wrong just because people who challenge other established theories sound similar.
Quote:
Indeed they are different cases, and I am treating both according to their merit. The problem is that you do not: you demand special treatment for your idea. You demand we ignore evidence against it and not dismiss it, and that we accept key parts of it without any evidence... without even a case in its favour having been made in the first place!
I don't demand special treatment. I don't want you to ignore evidence against it, or accept what he says without further proof. I just hope his knowledge is taken seriously, not just ignored because it sounds ridiculous in view of what has already been determined is true.

Last edited by peacegirl; 05-31-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
You have a very similar approach.
That's not true. Lessans didn't start out with any assumptions which he then had to find support for.
He didn't say Lessans, he said YOU. You are the Flat Earther-like person, not Lessans
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
So ... he investigated his claim about the lack of afferent nerve endings (receptors) in the eyes before making that assumption?

He didn't do a very good job, then.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
I'll simplify it for you.

You made the following statements
Quote:
no one gets a chance to express their thoughts on a subject, because it's been monopolized by the "big brother of science" who has claimed all rights to this subject by virtue of making their theories FACTS. They don't have the right to do this.
Quote:
This prevents different points of view on a theory from ever entering the public realm because it's not considered "scientific", and science has the monopoly.
I refuted these claims with the fact that plenty of people freely and publicly express their thoughts on subjects, and the fact that plenty of different points of view are found and easily accessible in the public realm. My position is easily proven with Google or a trip to the bookstore.

Can you support your claims? Do you stand behind them? If so, please clarify your position because it doesn't mesh with reality at all.
Quote:
All I'm saying is that science is treated with enormous respect, just like doctors. Unfortunately, there is always the danger that science can be wrong just like doctors can be wrong.
Aha! So your problem was never about science stifling or preventing the expression of opposing viewpoints, but that various opposing viewpoints aren't automatically respected and accepted by everyone. They can earn that respect by bringing on the evidence, just like science does.
I agree that not all viewpoints are to be respected if they don't add up. But science doesn't have a monopoly on what is true either. They're conclusions are often wrong using their very own methodology. Empirical testing is not always accurate and can be misleading. No matter how an experiment is set up there can be unknown variables that are not accounted for. This is especially true when it comes to the effects of drugs on the body. I found this guy very perceptive. You probably won't because he is just a journalist.

http://www.ihealthtube.com/aspx/view...7a1408186331f1

Quote:
The type of society we live in doesn't allow anyone from outside this inner circle to be taken seriously, which is a terrible injustice because a genuine discovery could go unrecognized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
You are still incorrect. Lots and lots of people take all manner of outside the "inner circle" viewpoints very seriously. Almost half of Americans believe in Creationism and 45% believe in ghosts. 25% believe in astrology. About half the public believes in ESP
There has to be a scientific basis for what is believable, but the problem is the scientific method is too narrow.

Quote:
Mike Adams and Joe Mercola and other natural health proponents aren't talking to themselves, are they? They have many, many readers.

So, if a genuine discovery is indeed genuine, there is no reason at all it should have any trouble finding believers to promote it....certainly science is not stifling anyone's expression, nor is science preventing anyone from putting their discoveries into the public realm. Do you retract your statements?
No I don't retract my statement because I already told you that the point I was making was not that people can't express themselves. It's that this dividing line between woos and science is blurred. That the woos, as you call them, may end up being the best fit because they aren't using the same narrow criteria to evaluate this work is disheartening but true. To repeat: Thank goodness everyone in this society can express themselves. That's not the problem. The problem is that those who hold strictly to one and only one methodology are leaving out other methods that can be just as valuable. Unfortunately, the very people who are respected for their work (the scientific community) could be throwing out a genuine discovery. That's going to be tough for me because I'm going to have to resort to new agers who believe in all kinds of strange things. Don't you see, I don't want to go to people who believe in fairies, ESP, crystals and ghosts. Maybe Wayne Dyer would be the type of person who would give Lessans the benefit of the doubt because he is open to possibility. I wish it was that easy to get in touch.

Last edited by peacegirl; 05-30-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
"science"

"facts"

"scientific"
You keep using those words.

They don't mean what you think they mean.
Thanks, from:
Dragar (05-31-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
I mean you. You assume the book is correct, ignore or attempt to discredit all evidence against it, and treat whatever you think is compatible with it as evidence in it's favour.

Like the way you expect dogs to behave, for instance, or the way people act when accused of a crime.

Quote:
Ah! Harken one of the distinctive calls of Gavia Immer. Somehow it is my fault that you have nothing to back up your claims.

Quote:
I never thought much about the flat earth theory. If there is compelling evidence then they should be heard. If there is a preponderance of evidence favoring the round earth theory, this theory should remain.
You do not apply that standard to your own book. Despite compelling evidence against it and none in favour, you feel we should believe every letter of it.

Quote:
You are too quick to reject Lessans' observations. There is evidence that the eyes don't work the way the other sense do
Please provide it, or admit you are full of it. I will be insisting you do either now, because you have made this claim once too often without backing it up. Provide the proof, or you are a liar.

Quote:
He saw this in an indirect way, which is why he could make these claims without being a biologist. Because you think he has no evidence, you'll have to wait to see if empirical testing supports his observations. One thing is for certain, his observations are anything but an assertion.
Another claim. Back it up, or admit you are full of it. Where is this evidence?

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed they are different cases, and I am treating both according to their merit. The problem is that you do not: you demand special treatment for your idea. You demand we ignore evidence against it and not dismiss it, and that we accept key parts of it without any evidence... without even a case in its favour having been made in the first place!
I don't demand special treatment.
That is a lie, and you know it: you have repeatedly asked us to "wait for the empirical evidence to come in", which is something you do not demand for the flat earth theory. You demand special treatment. You also expect people to believe conscience works as described in the book solely on the books say-so: the case in favour of it is not even made.

Quote:
I don't want you to ignore evidence against it, or accept what he says without further proof. I just hope his knowledge is taken seriously, not just ignored because it sounds ridiculous in view of what has already been determined is true.
If we do not ignore the evidence against it, then we should dismiss it. Because it is, you know, evidence against it.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-30-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
So ... he investigated his claim about the lack of afferent nerve endings (receptors) in the eyes before making that assumption?

Maybe he wasn't clear in what he was trying to say. Maybe he didn't do a good job. That still doesn't mean he was wrong. He never said that light doesn't cause a reaction and that there aren't afferent nerve endings in the retina, but he did not believe that the optic nerve is sending the necessary impulses to allow the brain to interpret the kind of image that would allow for normal sight.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
I mean you. You assume the book is correct, ignore or attempt to discredit all evidence against it, and treat whatever you think is compatible with it as evidence in it's favour.
I have heard the evidence against it, and I don't agree that this evidence is foolproof when it comes to the eyes. In this case, empirical testing is valuable as long as it's reliably done. And it needs to be replicated more than a few times. I don't agree that having a dog push a lever to identify his handler is enough to conclude that dogs can actually identify from sight alone. There doesn't seem to be that many empirical tests on this issue to draw from.

Quote:
Like the way you expect dogs to behave, for instance, or the way people act when accused of a crime.
I answered the dog question. As far as the way people act when accused of a crime, it's very clear that they will come up with as many rationalizations as they can so they can extenuate the circumstances in an effort to get a lesser sentence.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah! Harken one of the distinctive calls of Gavia Immer. Somehow it is my fault that you have nothing to back up your claims.
You keep saying that but it's completely untrue that he doesn't have back up for his claims.

Quote:
I never thought much about the flat earth theory. If there is compelling evidence then they should be heard. If there is a preponderance of evidence favoring the round earth theory, this theory should remain.
Quote:
You do not apply that standard to your own book. Despite compelling evidence against it and none in favour, you feel we should believe every letter of it.
I told you you don't have to believe anything he wrote. He has offered his astute observations and demonstrated why he believes they are correct. It's up to you what you do with it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. ;)

Quote:
You are too quick to reject Lessans' observations. There is evidence that the eyes don't work the way the other sense do
Quote:
Please provide it, or admit you are full of it. I will be insisting you do either now, because you have made this claim once too often without backing it up. Provide the proof, or you are a liar.
It's all in the book. You want proof of the proof. Butt understood this. Where are you Butt?

Quote:
He saw this in an indirect way, which is why he could make these claims without being a biologist. Because you think he has no evidence, you'll have to wait to see if empirical testing supports his observations. One thing is for certain, his observations are anything but mere assertions.
Quote:
Another claim. Back it up, or admit you are full of it. Where is this evidence?
The observations are the evidence. It's never going to be enough for you. Like I said, if I am describing an animal that you have never seen, and my observations and description are perfectly accurate, you will still say, "Show me the proof that what you're describing is for real." And I tell you that I can't prove it other than to describe it. And then you tell me that it can't be true because I have no supporting evidence. :doh:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't demand special treatment.
Quote:
That is a lie, and you know it: you have repeatedly asked us to "wait for the empirical evidence to come in", which is something you do not demand for the flat earth theory. You demand special treatment. You also expect people to believe conscience works as described in the book solely on the books say-so: the case in favour of it is not even made.
I told you that if the flat earth theory is compelling, then, yes, I would pay attention to it, especially if the knowledge would benefit mankind more than the round earth theory. What else can I do but to tell you to wait for more testing if you don't believe that his observations have any validity. In the case of describing the animal, I would tell you that since you don't think my observations are correct, you'll have to wait for further evidence which will prove to you that this unknown animal that I'm seeing is real.

Quote:
I don't want you to ignore evidence against it, or accept what he says without further proof. I just hope his knowledge is taken seriously, not just ignored because it sounds ridiculous in view of what has already been determined is true.
Quote:
If we do not ignore the evidence against it, then we should dismiss it. Because it is, you know, evidence against it.
You don't have to ignore the evidence against it in order not to dismiss it. You can do both. You can keep your objections, and still keep an open-mind. That's all I'm asking you to do.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
There has to be a scientific basis for what is believable, but the problem is the scientific method is too narrow.
It's too narrow in your opinion. Science needs to be focused and eliminate a lot of noise. There aren't all that many working scientists out there and they are all competing for research funds etc. or working on specific things for corporations.

Lessans should have spent some of that 30 years getting a science degree and conducting research on his ideas rather than burning his books. Then he could have published in a scientific journal like all other scientists do.

Quote:
Quote:
So, if a genuine discovery is indeed genuine, there is no reason at all it should have any trouble finding believers to promote it....certainly science is not stifling anyone's expression, nor is science preventing anyone from putting their discoveries into the public realm. Do you retract your statements?
No I don't retract my statement because I already told you that the point I was making was not that people can't express themselves.
Your statements are right there in black and white, and the first one says exactly the opposite of what you are saying now. So why won't you retract it?

Quote:
It's that this dividing line between woos and science is blurred.
In some cases it is not apparent what is science and what is pseudoscience or what is bleeding edge science and therefore not yet widely known about but could get there.

Woo, on the other hand, is not hard to see. Woos offer zero evidence or methodology...just a lot of assertions, anecdotes, fallacious reasoning and butthurt. They have their script that they seems to adhere to across the board...many elements of which you use frequently. The red flags are well known by most skeptics.

Quote:
That the woos, as you call them, may end up being the best fit because they aren't using the same narrow criteria to evaluate this work is disheartening but true.
Yes, as I've told you for some time now. Lessans work isn't science as it doens't meet the criteria for the term science to be applied.

Quote:
The problem is that those who hold strictly to one and only one methodology are leaving out other methods that can be just as valuable.
When talking about scientists they will of course "leave out" anything that wasn't come to by scientific methods and/or can't be evaluated with the tools of science. Maybe it is valuable spiritually, or philosophically, but that doesn't make it valuable scientifically.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the very people who are respected for their work (the scientific community) could be throwing out a genuine discovery.
Could be, but that is a problem for the presenter or discoverer to address and overcome, not for scientists. They can't do their work and spend time locating and evaluating all the millions of claims out there in the public realm. Why would they bother?

Last edited by LadyShea; 05-30-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Thanks, from:
The Lone Ranger (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:

Maybe he wasn't clear in what he was trying to say. Maybe he didn't do a good job. That still doesn't mean he was wrong. He never said that light doesn't cause a reaction and that there aren't afferent nerve endings in the retina, but he did not believe that the optic nerve is sending the necessary impulses to allow the brain to interpret the kind of image that would allow for normal sight.
In other words, he assumed that this was the case.

After all, as you yourself have pointed out, it's not like he actually investigated whether or not this is the case.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
He did say that there were "No Similar Afferent Nerve Endings in the Eye", which is demonstrably wrong. It has also been demonstrated that the optic nerve transmits signals to the brain that are known to be intrepreted as images in the brain.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Like I said, if I am describing an animal that you have never seen, and my observations and description are perfectly accurate, you will still say, "Show me the proof that what you're describing is for real." And I tell you that I can't prove it other than to describe it. And then you tell me that it can't be true because I have no supporting evidence. :doh:
:doh: is right. This is just like those people who can describe Bigfoot; its physical characteristics, vocalizations, diet, mating habits and preferred habitat. The only thing missing is an actual specimen of a Bigfoot. The rest of the world is perfectly justified in requiring that they produce such a specimen before acknowledging the existence of Bigfoot. That they lack such a specimen does not mean that Bigfoot doesn't exist. It does mean that people who doubt the existence of Bigfoot have not been given sufficient reason to believe in Bigfoot's existence.

Quote:
...you tell me that it can't be true because I have no supporting evidence.
Show me where anyone has made this argument. You can't because the actual argument is along the lines of, "I have no reason to believe what you are saying is true because you have failed to provide any supporting evidence."
LadyShea (05-31-2013), The Lone Ranger (05-31-2013), Vivisectus (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

BTW, has anyone here watched the series "Finding Bigfoot"? It is almost as entertaining as "Ancient Aliens". In each episode of "Finding Bigfoot" they fail to find Bigfoot, but their faith in Bigfoot's existence never weakens. A more appropriate series title would be "Desperately Seeking Bigfoot", but that would seriously undermine the fundemental irony of the series title.
ceptimus (05-31-2013), Dragar (05-31-2013), LadyShea (05-31-2013), Vivisectus (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Like I said, if I am describing an animal that you have never seen, and my observations and description are perfectly accurate, you will still say, "Show me the proof that what you're describing is for real." And I tell you that I can't prove it other than to describe it. And then you tell me that it can't be true because I have no supporting evidence.
Yes. As Angakuk pointed out this is exactly the situation with Bigfoot, and really Cryptozoology as a whole. Eyewitness descriptions simply aren't good enough. People make mistakes, they misperceive, they confabulate, they have faulty memories and they lie. Evidence is required such as a specimen, dead or alive, or hair samples, or multiple high quality photographs or video, or multiple eyewitnesses. The better the corroborating evidence the better the chance that the original observer is trustworthy and probably correct.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (05-31-2013), Vivisectus (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 AM

Bump
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To repeat: He didn't say that the eyes have no afferent receptor neurons. He said that there were no similar afferent nerve endings that make direct contact from the outside world to the inside world as is the case with sound, taste, and hearing and smell.
Light, from the outside world, makes direct contact with the afferent sensory neurons. So he was still wrong
Quote:
Light makes contact with the retina, but not without the object in view LadyShea. He said light causes certain reactions, which it does. It causes the pupils to dilate. It is a necessary condition of sight (without light we cannot see anything) but there is no direct contact between the nerve ending and the brain that would allow the visual stimuli (the image) to be decoded.
What does that have to do with what Lessans claimed?

He said "If a lion roared in that room a newborn baby would hear the sound
and react because this impinges on the eardrum and is then
transmitted to the brain. The same holds true for anything that
makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far
from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve
ending in this organ.
"

What he said was demonstrably incorrect since light makes direct contact with afferent neurons in the eyes.
Light makes contact, that is true, but there is no stimuli that travels to the brain whereby an image can be interpreted as normal sight.
That wasn't part of this passage nor what he said at all. Can you defend and explain his actual statement or not?

The statement The same holds true for anything that makes direct contact with an afferent nerve ending, but this is far from the case with the eyes because there is no similar afferent nerve ending in this organ. is flat out incorrect. So why should I pay any attention to anything he says when he couldn't even get the physical facts correct?

Quote:
Quote:
And what on Earth do you mean there is no direct contact between the nerve ending and the brain?? Are you seriously making a claim about neural anatomy...which you know nothing about?
There is no external stimuli as in a brightly colored object that is making direct contact to cause a reaction.
Light is the external stimuli. Light makes direct contact Of course objects don't enter the eyeballs, just like there is no object entering the ear when we hear nor object entering our skin when we sense pressure.

Quote:
In the case of sound, a baby can hear the roar of a lion and it would wake him up because there is direct contact with something external.
Direct contact with what external, exactly. "Something external" is not very specific.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I have heard the evidence against it, and I don't agree that this evidence is foolproof when it comes to the eyes.
Indeed. And flat-earthers unilaterally decide that they do not like evidence against their idea too.

Quote:
In this case, empirical testing is valuable as long as it's reliably done. And it needs to be replicated more than a few times. I don't agree that having a dog push a lever to identify his handler is enough to conclude that dogs can actually identify from sight alone. There doesn't seem to be that many empirical tests on this issue to draw from.
The dog test is just one, minuscule part of the vast body of evidence against efferent sight. And even if dogs cannot recognize faces, then that is compatible with both efferent and afferent sight. It really isn't relevant.

These tests have been replicated hundreds of times, in hundred of different ways.

Quote:
Quote:
I answered the dog question. As far as the way people act when accused of a crime, it's very clear that they will come up with as many rationalizations as they can so they can extenuate the circumstances in an effort to get a lesser sentence.
Which is an excellent example of elevating what is merely compatible to the status of evidence.

Quote:
Quote:
You keep saying that but it's completely untrue that he doesn't have back up for his claims.
Absolutely correct. And yet he did not: you have not produced the evidence you keep referring to.

Quote:
Quote:
I told you you don't have to believe anything he wrote. He has offered his astute observations and demonstrated why he believes they are correct. It's up to you what you do with it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. ;)
Actually he did not demonstrate why he believed it. He merely said that he believed it, claiming he was about to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. He never got round to that, it seems.

Quote:
Quote:
It's all in the book. You want proof of the proof. Butt understood this. Where are you Butt?
No it is not, and we have been over this. You are lying again.

Quote:
The observations are the evidence.
So the observation that the earth is flat is evidence of a flat earth?

Quote:
It's never going to be enough for you. Like I said, if I am describing an animal that you have never seen, and my observations and description are perfectly accurate, you will still say, "Show me the proof that what you're describing is for real." And I tell you that I can't prove it other than to describe it. And then you tell me that it can't be true because I have no supporting evidence. :doh:
I have described a flat earth to you - so now a flat earth is possible because I have described it to you?

Quote:
I told you that if the flat earth theory is compelling, then, yes, I would pay attention to it, especially if the knowledge would benefit mankind more than the round earth theory.
No, you are asking that we dismiss evidence against efferent sight and wait for possible future evidence in stead of dismissing efferent sight. You were happy enough to dismiss the flat earth theory as it is. You can try to weasel around and say "If the theory is compelling" but that is exactly what we are trying to ascertain: is it compelling, and on what basis do we call it so?

Quote:
What else can I do but to tell you to wait for more testing if you don't believe that his observations have any validity. In the case of describing the animal, I would tell you that since you don't think my observations are correct, you'll have to wait for further evidence which will prove to you that this unknown animal that I'm seeing is real.
So you now have to wait for further evidence to prove that the earth is flat. Despite the fact that there is plenty of evidence that shows it is not. If you describe a two-headed fire-breathing dragon, then I can dismiss that as incorrect.

Quote:
Quote:
You don't have to ignore the evidence against it in order not to dismiss it. You can do both. You can keep your objections, and still keep an open-mind. That's all I'm asking you to do.
So you seriously entertain the possibility that the earth is flat, despite the fact that there is clear, coherent and consistent evidence that it is not?

Well, I must admit you have me there: if your definition of plausible is as all-encompassing as that, and all you are looking for is that we assume that the book is not impossible in the same way that we must assume a flat earth is not impossible, then sure: it is possible, or perhaps a better word is imaginable, with some effort, that some galactic conspiracy or a truly astonishing set of coincidences is at work which seems to go out of it's way to make sure that for all intents and purposes, reality acts as if sight is afferent, while in actuality it is not.

Just like it is possible that NASA is part of a global conspiracy to keep us fooled about the roundness of the earth, in order to steal our tax money. Or that fairies live in my garden. We must keep an open mind, after all.

Last edited by Vivisectus; 05-31-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 AM

By the way, I notice you did not produce the evidence you alluded to. Again. Are you going to do so?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:38 AM
puzzler

It's important to keep an open mind. But you don't want it so far open that your brain falls out.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivisectus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegirl
Mike Adams does not have to be a practitioner or have any credentials to be an expert in his field.
The field in question being medicine... good grief.
No, his advocacy is in healthcare of which medicine is only a part.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Because I have listened to him and I trust my intuition LadyShea. My intuition is usually right.
I trust my intuition too. I have also found my intuition is usually right. My intuition tells me he is a huckster.
To each his own.

Quote:
My intuition is also telling me you are considering or are already courting Mike Adams as a "celebrity endorsement" for the book. Have you emailed him, or are you just going to send him a copy?
There are quite a few people I would love to contact, Adams included. I only wish I could get the book to him. :(

Quote:
ETA: He's a germ theory denialist. Do you agree that no diseases are caused by bacteria or viruses, peacegirl?
No, I don't agree with that. Did he say this explicitly, or is this your interpretation? I can take a stab at what he meant by this. It's not the germs that are to blame for illness; it's one's immune system that has lost it's defense system.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
It's not the germs that are to blame for illness; it's one's immune system that has lost it's defense system
:lolhog: Germ theory denialism? Talk about flat earth!

Ok, so what is the immune system defending against exactly?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How do you know that chemotherapy is the right decision for everyone?
I didn't claim that it is
But you did say that alternative medicine could hurt people indirectly because they would be wasting valuable time getting the "right" treatment (chemo).

Quote:
Chemotherapy has been known to wipe out people's immune systems and make their lives miserable.
Quote:
True, but cancer has been known to kill people after making their lives miserable, and chemo may help in some cases.
That's true. There are pros and cons to everything and it's up the individual to make this choice. It has also been documented (I can't remember where I read this but it makes sense because the mind is powerful) that if a person doesn't believe in the therapy that is being administered, it will have a major influence on his ability to heal regardless of which therapy it is.

Quote:
How can the doctors give patients only this one option?
Quote:
What makes you think doctors give cancer patients only one option?
When it comes to cancer, most doctors will immediately turn to surgery and chemo. Cut it out or poison it out. If you go to a surgeon, he's going to think surgery. If you go to an allopathic doctor that focuses on disease management, he's going to think prescription drugs.

Quote:
What if some people consider the treatment worse than the disease?
Quote:
Some people do consider it worse than the disease and those people choose to not do medical treatments. My grandfather chose not to medically treat his cancer.
It is up to each individual to decide which is the best option, but he needs to know the risks and benefits in order to make an informed choice. Up until recently, we didn't have very many options. We go to a doctor, we're told we have cancer, and we are also told that if we don't cut the cancer out, it will be a death sentence. That has changed somewhat.

Quote:
What if they don't want to poison their good cells in an effort to regain their health?
Quote:
Then they should not do treatment.
I agree. But when we're ill, it's hard to resist the standard treatment. And if we choose not to go that route and get worse, we are sure to get censured because we didn't listen, as if to say that if we did listen we would have been cured. That's not necessarily true.

Quote:
The point is people are entitled to make up their own mind.
Quote:
Of course, I never said otherwise
Once in a couple years, we actually are in agreement. :wink:

Quote:
Nothing should be forced down someone's throat (especially parents) and that's what the medical profession has done
Quote:
Um, no, nobody is forced to take cancer treatments. We discussed this already.
Maybe not now, but in 1998 (not that long ago), a woman was forced to give her child chemo for a malignant brain tumor that was known to be risky and of little benefit. Maybe we've advanced, but it's taken years to get here.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:41 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you are still reneging on our deal and breaking your word? And for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the original offer you agreed to?
I will send it to you reluctantly. I'm still wondering why it even matters, if you're not going to read it? If you do give it to a university make sure Lessans gets a fair shake by not only giving it to libertarians and compatibilists (which puts him at a disadvantage because they're going to point out imaginary flaws like you have), but determinists as well.
Great, so we're back on then? When do your books arrive?
Bump.
Bump.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Also, how did he define "will"?
Who are you referring to? I missed the original post that you're responding to.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy