Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 AM
cold, heartless bitch

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
You misread the quote tag koan, that wasn't peacegirl who said that
I guess that vindicates me as the person who is stalking her then.

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 AM
cold, heartless bitch

I bet it's peacegirl sockpuppeteering her own arch-nemesis. She'll make it seem like she is trying to take herself down then she'll suddenly be reborn into the new age of Lessansism.

If that's not true she should think about doing it. As Emeril would say "Kick it up a notch! BAM!!"

- Albert Camus
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 AM
checking my ontic in the privacy of my bathroom or in the presence of a qualified metaphysician

Location: in the Thesis Hole - triangulated between Afflatus and Flatus

I guess no one really learns their Lessans in this thread...
Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
Quote:
You misread the quote tag koan, that wasn't peacegirl who said that
I guess that vindicates me as the person who is stalking her then.
Nah, once Peacegirl gets the bit in her teeth, she'll never let go.
Thanks, from:
koan (03-08-2013), LadyShea (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Well yeah, you are using a different username too. That's not a weird thing to do on the Internet
I'm narrowing it down to who I think it is. Vivisectus, Spacemonkey, or koan.
It can be anyone who has participated on this thread in the last 2 years. The person said s/he is neither Spacemonkey or Vivisectus and knew too many details about things like the 500 page parties to be koan, who wasn't participating then.
You're right. It was as vindictive as something she would do which is why I thought of her and Vivisectus. After reading a few more posts, I knew it was Davidm. What surprised me is that he left this thread long ago and all of a sudden, like a lion ready to pounce, he came out of hiding.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Dogs cannot recognize their masters from a picture, which no one has proven. I know this is not proof, but for people to say that dogs can do this, is absurd.
Quote:
You cannot prove that they cannot recognize their masters from a picture. So your belief in this matter is baseless. There is evidence from experiment that they can recognize human faces from photographs....not proof no. But definitely evidence.
There is no real evidence whatsoever. It's a case of people trying to fit what they see into their deeply held position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
No, that would be you fitting what you see with your deeply held position. None of us, nor the scientists conducting these experiments, have anything personal at stake when trying to answer the question "Can dogs recognize their masters from a photograph?". Nobody's worldview, except yours, is affected by the answer.
It's not a matter of having a personal stake; it's a matter of an accepted "fact". Everyone takes for granted that the eyes are a sense organ. It sounds ridiculous that someone would even debate this.

Quote:
But, because it is a specific example Lessans used and Lessans must be right at all costs, the answer must be NO or your deeply held position is harmed.
But that's not it LadyShea. This is not one specific example. There has been no such cases where a dog recognizes his master from a picture. What you claim to be accurate controls is not conclusive in the least. Training a dog to hit a lever for a reward when he recognizes his master (which appears as if it's statistically significant) is flawed. Sometimes accurate observation over long periods of time trumps empirical testing that does not work because of the flawed nature of the test.

Quote:
All you have offered is anecdotes about the family dog and Skype, with the dog's behavior being interpreted through your strong bias towards Lessans being 100% correct in his statements about this issue.
Careful observation is not just anecdotal. Again, you are trying to downplay how one can derive at a truth. Epistemologically speaking, observation, if it is done carefully, can be just as reliable as an empirical test, which can be slanted or misinterpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
And you don't think you have bias?
Quote:
Why would I? I have nothing riding on the answer. If the evidence points to either yes or no my life goes on as usual. Only you have a horse in this race, because if the answer is yes then Lessans was wrong.
Don't you see how you've already determined that if I argue that your answer might be wrong, that automatically means I am basing this on faith because I don't want Lessans to be wrong? You've already set up a premise that is unsound, therefore your conclusion is unsound. That's why this thread has deteriorated to the degree it has. You have all joined the bandwagon that if I say anything in favor of Lessans, it means only one thing: I'm not being objective and it's all based on faith. It's too late for this thread because of the extreme bias that has taken over.

Quote:
Any person that is not stuck on this idea that empirical testing is better than observation
Quote:
LOL, any person that is not holding on to a faith position you mean?
This is why it's useless for me to be here. You will continue to claim that everything I've discussed is nothing more than a faith positon, and it's not.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
I have found a better home for this discovery where people do not use their own "intelligence" to determine what is true and what isn't.
So just to be clear, the above was complete bullshit in reference to yet another forum where you've once again employed exactly the same methods and met with exactly the same results, right?
Crumb (03-08-2013), LadyShea (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Do you remember posting here that you would definitely not move on to another forum after this one? Do you remember us telling you at the time that you almost certainly would? What does it tell you about your own level of self knowledge that we can regularly predict your own behaviour better than you can yourself?
Bump.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That the light is already at the eye is not the issue. Your problem is that you have no explanation for where that light came from or how it got there. The afferent account can explain where light at the retina came from and how it got there. Your efferent account cannot, and that is why it fails.

Did the photons which are at the retina (at 12:00 when the Sun is first ignited) come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

Were they ever located at the Sun? [Yes or No]

If so, when were they located at the Sun? [State a time relative to the moment of ignition of the Sun]

If not, where did they come from? [State a physical object or location]
Bump.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I bet it's peacegirl sockpuppeteering her own arch-nemesis. She'll make it seem like she is trying to take herself down then she'll suddenly be reborn into the new age of Lessansism.

If that's not true she should think about doing it. As Emeril would say "Kick it up a notch! BAM!!"
I would never do that. I also would never put up fake reviews to kick it up a notch. Soon enough the reviews will be pouring in, and they will be positive.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That the light is already at the eye is not the issue. Your problem is that you have no explanation for where that light came from or how it got there. The afferent account can explain where light at the retina came from and how it got there. Your efferent account cannot, and that is why it fails.

Did the photons which are at the retina (at 12:00 when the Sun is first ignited) come from the Sun? [Yes or No]

If so, when were they located at the Sun? [State a time relative to the moment of ignition of the Sun]

Bump.
No Spacemonkey. Talk about someone who has a compulsion! :glare:

Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Everyone takes for granted that the eyes are a sense organ.
No they don't. They believe it on the basis of evidence. The same evidence that you have been unable to explain from your efferent perspective.

Quote:
It sounds ridiculous that someone would even debate this.
It sounds ridiculous particularly when you debate it, because you end up saying things that are contradictory and impossible every single time you try to explain yourself.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bump.
Yes, you do have a compulsion. And you are also again weaseling and evading reasonable questions. Just as you've been doing for your entire decade-long online spree of promoting your father's book. Can you explain why you are not willing to answer these questions?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dogs cannot recognize their masters from a picture, which no one has proven. I know this is not proof, but for people to say that dogs can do this, is absurd.
Quote:
You cannot prove that they cannot recognize their masters from a picture. So your belief in this matter is baseless. There is evidence from experiment that they can recognize human faces from photographs....not proof no. But definitely evidence.
There is no real evidence whatsoever. It's a case of people trying to fit what they see into their deeply held position.
Quote:
No, that would be you fitting what you see with your deeply held position. None of us, nor the scientists conducting these experiments, have anything personal at stake when trying to answer the question "Can dogs recognize their masters from a photograph?". Nobody's worldview, except yours, is affected by the answer.
It's not a matter of having a personal stake; it's a matter of an accepted "fact". Everyone takes for granted that the eyes are a sense organ. It sounds ridiculous that someone would even debate this.
The eyes are a sense organ. This is proven. Your obstinate refusal to even look at the evidence demonstrates the religious nature of your worldview.

Quote:
Quote:
But, because it is a specific example Lessans used and Lessans must be right at all costs, the answer must be NO or your deeply held position is harmed.
Quote:
But that's not it LadyShea. This is not one specific example.
It is a specific example that Lessans used which makes it important to you.

I had never even thought about dogs and facial recognition before you came along with this assertion of Lessans', because it is not remotely important to me. If dogs can't recognize people from pictures then they can't and why would I care?

You care very deeply though, so deeply that you automatically dismiss the evidence that is coming in that seems to indicate there is recognition of faces happening...again, demonstrating that you deeply hold a faith based position not a rational one.

Quote:
There has been no such cases where a dog recognizes his master from a picture.
That's a mighty strong claim. Can you back that up with any evidence at all?

Quote:
Careful observation is not just anecdotal.
Personal experiences in your own life are anecdotal.

Scientific observation is not, as it is recorded and replicated.

Last edited by LadyShea; 03-08-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:

I would never do that. I also would never put up fake reviews to kick it up a notch. Soon enough the reviews will be pouring in, and they will be positive.

Now this is odd? Peacegirl, you have been posting fake claims, fake data, and fake reviews, (every time you praise your father and his book) for 10 years, why would you stop faking things now? Also the book is full of fake interviews and fake praise for your fathers ideas, so you could just follow his example again. You haven't had a positive comment about the book (other than your own) for 10 years and that is not likely to change.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 AM
Reality Adventurer

Quote:

I hope not. She is already schizophrenic. No need to add multiple personalities to the list. She is crazy enough.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I have found a better home for this discovery where people do not use their own "intelligence" to determine what is true and what isn't.
So just to be clear, the above was complete bullshit in reference to yet another forum where you've once again employed exactly the same methods and met with exactly the same results, right?
This is true, but this is not a reflection on Lessans. It's a reflection of the inherent problem when a bunch of people get together on discussion boards where they can feed off of each other and become one entity. It shows just how serious this issue is in regard to useful debate. This whole thread is an experiment in itself which could be used by psychologists because it shows just how difficult it is to get beyond the bias of the group whether it's in the academic world or on a typical online forum. This has farreaching implications.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is true, but this is not a reflection on Lessans. It's a reflection of the inherent problem when a bunch of people get together on discussion boards where they can feed off of each other and become one entity. It shows just how serious this issue is in regard to useful debate. This whole thread is an experiment in itself which could be used by psychologists because it shows just how difficult it is to get beyond the bias of the group whether it's in the academic world or on a typical online forum. This has farreaching implications.
Whatever else it may be, it is a reflection of your dishonesty.

Though I agree that this thread could be a valuable resource for psychologists.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bump.
Yes, you do have a compulsion. And you are also again weaseling and evading reasonable questions. Just as you've been doing for your entire decade-long online spree of promoting your father's book. Can you explain why you are not willing to answer these questions?
Because I have begun to dislike you, that's why. I don't like the fact that you copied NA by calling me mentally ill. Retract that statement or I have no desire to engage with you.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The eyes are a sense organ. This is proven. Your obstinate refusal to even look at the evidence demonstrates the religious nature of your worldview.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had never even thought about dogs and facial recognition before you came along with this assertion of Lessans', because it is not remotely important to me. If dogs can't recognize people from pictures then they can't and why would I care?

You care very deeply though, so deeply that you automatically dismiss the evidence that is coming in that seems to indicate there is recognition of faces happening...again, demonstrating that you deeply hold a faith based position not a rational one.

Quote:

Quote:

I give up LadyShea. You can believe that dogs recognize their masters from pictures. I have no desire to try to change your opinion or to prove to you that sometimes empirical evidence is misleading.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Can you explain why you are not willing to answer these questions?
Because I have begun to dislike you, that's why.
What does your liking or disliking me have to do with your willingness to answer perfectly reasonable questions? Is it in your best interests to publicly evade questions about the book's claims?

Quote:
I don't like the fact that you copied NA by calling me mentally ill. Retract that statement or I have no desire to engage with you.
Why would I retract something that I am still convinced is true? We are not name-calling or trying to put you down. We are genuinely concerned about your mental health.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Just curious, after 10 years of gathering data on this "group mentality' that you have mentioned in the thread, what are your conclusions as to it's effect on a dialogue? Can you cite examples that illustrate the different effects? These implications must have been addressed in your book on child safety, as children would definately exibit such behavior.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

We know she must have taken at least psychology 100 and Educational psychology 101 in order to get your bachelor of Science degree (special education).

She has also done "extensive research" on "Safety", identifying a "gap in knowledge" of kids between 6 and 12 years old. You would think someone like that would be able to get us some sort of insight, and tell us what she bases that on.

Do you still have the data and the methodology for your safety research? Or was it Lessanese research, which leaves no trace except for a conclusion that you are STILL required to accept, even though you have no way of checking to see if the research was any good?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM

I found an interesting discussion on anecdote vs. observation on another forum

Eyewitness anecdotes vs scientific observations - JREF Forum
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I give up LadyShea. You can believe that dogs recognize their masters from pictures. I have no desire to try to change your opinion or to prove to you that sometimes empirical evidence is misleading.
I am aware that evidence can be misleading (the faster than light neutrinos at CERN), but when different tests and different scientists get similar results over time, it becomes pretty convincing. I don't know or care if dogs can recognize their masters from a photograph. It seems it might be possible and I can't think of any reason they shouldn't be able to, being mammals with brains. If they cannot, though, it is much more likely to be due to cognitive processing differences and not because of the eyes being efferent.

You also never explained why, if eyes are efferent in both species, we have this ability to recognize faces but dogs do not. If facial recognition is attributed to the eyes being efferent, what accounts for the difference between dogs and humans in your model? You've previously attributed it to language, but that makes no sense unless you also believe dogs can't recognize the difference between any two things visually.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy