Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
He willingly gave it to me because he could see that Lessans made a simple typo.
You are the only one claiming to see that Lessans made a typo. You are now projecting your own views onto Ceptimus in an attempt to ease your own conscience.
Well, to be fair, she obviously means this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
It seems unlikely to me that Lessans calculated the amount and got a wrong answer that is only $9 away from the correct one. As you say, it's much more likely that he worked out the correct answer, or was told it by someone else, but then mistyped or misremembered it when typing out the manuscript.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-02-2013), ceptimus (01-01-2013), Dragar (01-02-2013), peacegirl (01-01-2013), Spacemonkey (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by But View Post
Quote:
Quote:
He willingly gave it to me because he could see that Lessans made a simple typo.
You are the only one claiming to see that Lessans made a typo. You are now projecting your own views onto Ceptimus in an attempt to ease your own conscience.
Well, to be fair, she obviously means this:

Quote:
It seems unlikely to me that Lessans calculated the amount and got a wrong answer that is only $9 away from the correct one. As you say, it's much more likely that he worked out the correct answer, or was told it by someone else, but then mistyped or misremembered it when typing out the manuscript.
I appreciate your defending me since it's so rare. But I want to make clear that this was not an answer that was given to him by someone else, nor was it misremembered. It was a keystroke that caused this error. 9 and 0 are next to each other on the keyboard. He had a manual typewriter and it took a lot of dexterity to hit those keys, especially the numbered keys. It may have been that he did not write this out in his manuscript but just typed it. He didn't always use his manuscript first and then transcribe it. He wrote in his manuscript when he was out, but he typed when he was home.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
You had forgotten why you were sending me the book. I was never going to review it and never offered to do so. I was going to provide a copy to my local university philosophy department library - something you agreed would be helpful and of value to you. What's changed to make you want to renege on your agreement? Actually, it may be a good thing as I don't know if I could in good faith donate the work of a admitted plagiarist.

You could still donate the book with a cover letter explaining all the problems that you are aware of in the publishing of the book. It would not excuse Lessans or Peacegirl, but it would make clear the conditions under which you are presenting them with the book, and you could ask if anyone would be willing to give an opinion of the concepts, with a full knowledge that there are other problems.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
But I want to make clear that this was not an answer that was given to him by someone else, nor was it misremembered. It was a keystroke that caused this error.
You don't know that. You BELIEVE it because you have FAITH in his mathematical abilities. This faith is NOT something supported by any kind of evidence. And your plagiarism is still plagiarism, whether this was a typo or not. You are still taking someone else's answer and inserting it as something Lessans provided when he didn't. You are lying to your readers - and doing so purely to hide yet another of your father's mistakes.
Angakuk (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
You could still donate the book with a cover letter explaining all the problems that you are aware of in the publishing of the book. It would not excuse Lessans or Peacegirl, but it would make clear the conditions under which you are presenting them with the book, and you could ask if anyone would be willing to give an opinion of the concepts, with a full knowledge that there are other problems.
That would be an awfully long letter.
Angakuk (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM
cold, heartless bitch

I'd just like to say that I am quite happy with not being credited or mentioned in this book in any way. I shudder to think anyone would take that as meaning I support the conclusions. Any changes peacegirl makes as a result of something I've said are granted without desired credit as, if she actually took my advice and contributions, she would not publish the book as non-fiction. My actual advice is to
a)Use his founding principles to start a new religion like Scientology where people have to pay for the info contained in each chapter one item at a time and hope you don't get sued for fraud
or
b)Create a sci-fi novel based on his founding principles
or
c)Use it as source material to write a book about a man who spent most of his adult life devoted to a delusion and the main protagonist is his daughter, trying to break free from his warped ideas.

I've considered writing c) myself but don't have the time. Option c) would make the most interesting book, imo

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-02-2013), ceptimus (01-01-2013), The Lone Ranger (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 PM
puzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
I'd just like to say that I am quite happy with not being credited or mentioned in this book in any way.
Unless it's made clear exactly how I contributed, I'd rather not be mentioned either!

I also provided the answer to the 'Arrange the letters A-to-O puzzle' a few thousand posts back, and another one about cows eating grass. So if peacegirl decides to mention me at all, it should only be as a puzzle-answer-checker.

Oh and she already previously corrected one 'typo' based on my posts - I seem to remember it was something about sound taking longer to arrive from more distant objects when Lessans' original text had it backwards, but I forget the details - I'd have to check back through the thread.

If peacegirl ever gets around to properly addressing some of the other topics I've posted about (moons of Jupiter, stellar aberration, space probe guidance, camera optics, and so on) then I might be more willing to be credited. But I strongly doubt that she ever will address these topics in a meaningful way, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

ETA: I found my previous 'typo correction' post: Freethought Forum - View Post - A revolution in thought. Peacegirl thanked me for the correction and said she was modifying the text in the book a few posts later. And I remember now she made another correction to the book on her website when I pointed out that Lessans' name was spelt differently on the cover to the pages inside!

Last edited by ceptimus; 01-02-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-02-2013), Dragar (01-06-2013), LadyShea (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Quote:
it took a lot of dexterity to hit those keys, especially the numbered keys.
:lolhog:
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
But I want to make clear that this was not an answer that was given to him by someone else, nor was it misremembered. It was a keystroke that caused this error.
You don't know that. You BELIEVE it because you have FAITH in his mathematical abilities. This faith is NOT something supported by any kind of evidence. And your plagiarism is still plagiarism, whether this was a typo or not. You are still taking someone else's answer and inserting it as something Lessans provided when he didn't. You are lying to your readers - and doing so purely to hide yet another of your father's mistakes.
Oh my god, I can't believe the big deal you are making out of this. I refuse to play this sick game with you Spacemonkey. Goodbye.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh my god, I can't believe the big deal you are making out of this. I refuse to play this sick game with you Spacemonkey. Goodbye.
:weasel: Stop plagiarizing and we'll stop calling you out on it.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'd just like to say that I am quite happy with not being credited or mentioned in this book in any way.
Unless it's made clear exactly how I contributed, I'd rather not be mentioned either!

I also provided the answer to the 'Arrange the letters A-to-O puzzle' a few thousand posts back, and another one about cows eating grass. So if peacegirl decides to mention me at all, it should only be as a puzzle-answer-checker.
If I recall, his answer wasn't wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceptimus
Oh and she already previously corrected one 'typo' based on my posts - I seem to remember it was something about sound taking longer to arrive from more distant objects when Lessans' original text had it backwards, but I forget the details - I'd have to check back through the thread.
Yes, and I thanked you for that. You all have become my unofficial proofreaders, but I don't have to mention every little correction someone helped me with. It's not like anyone made a major contribution to the main concept, which would be deserving of recognition. I just remember someone caught the word Satan spelled as Satin. My mistake. Do I have to credit him in the book too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceptimus
If peacegirl ever gets around to properly addressing some of the other topics I've posted about (moons of Jupiter, stellar aberration, space probe guidance, camera optics, and so on) then I might be more willing to be credited. But I strongly doubt that she ever will address these topics in a meaningful way, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

ETA: I found my previous 'typo correction' post: Freethought Forum - View Post - A revolution in thought. Peacegirl thanked me for the correction and said she was modifying the text in the book a few posts later. And I remember now she made another correction to the book on her website when I pointed out that Lessans' name was spelt differently on the cover to the pages inside!
That was because I was in a hurry to get the ebook online knowing that I would probably find quite a few errors. I was not wrong. :) I have since corrected them all. As I said, I appreciate the help, but I don't think the kind of help I received needs to be made mention of in the book. I'm sorry if others feel differently.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
It's not like anyone made a major contribution to the main concept, which would be deserving of recognition.
It's not about recognition, Peacegirl. It's about HONESTY and integrity, and not lying to your readers. No-one is saying you're being unfair to Ceptimus. The problem is that what you are doing is dishonest and unfair to your readers. Lessans did not provide you with the correct answer to the problem, so if you are not prepared to honestly admit that in the book then you should not be using the example at all.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 01-02-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Are you a quack?
Quote:
"I know my theory is right, without wasting my time learning the accepted theories."
Science doesn't work that way, either. The fact is, the accepted theories already work, so why replace them? To start with, you have to reproduce all the correct results of the established theories: That means you first have to learn those theories, then check that your new theory can successfully reproduce their correct results. After all, if they're so wrong, why do they work so well? Secondly, to replace the old theories, you have to do better: Successfully predict something the old theories don't. In other words, your new theory has to agree with the old theories where they agree with experiment, and also agree with experiment where the old theory disagrees. But how would you know all that if you haven't studied the old theories in the first place? Would you read a movie review by someone who didn't see the movie?
I mentioned this over a year ago, and never got a reply. It's worth bringing up again.

We have a blind spot in each eye. The standard model of sight explains exactly why this is so.

If Lessans' "model" of sight were correct, there should be no blind spot.

I'm betting that peacegirl can neither explain why Lessans' model predicts that we should not have blind spots, nor why we do have them.

So go on, peacegirl, demonstrate that Lessans' model of sight is superior. It should be a very simple thing to do: explain to us how Lessans' model accounts for the existence of the blind spot in each eye.

Go on, I dare you. I double-dog dare you.
Did you happen to miss this, peacegirl?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 AM
cold, heartless bitch

Quote:
Quote:
It's not like anyone made a major contribution to the main concept, which would be deserving of recognition.
It's not about recognition, Peacegirl. It's about HONESTY and integrity, and not lying to your readers. No-one is saying you're being unfair to Ceptimus. The problem is that what you are doing is dishonest and unfair to your readers. Lessans did not provide you with the correct answer to the problem, so if you are not prepared to honestly admit that in the book then you should not be using the example at all.
My lack of desire to be credited personally in this book, if I were to contribute to any changes, should not take away from this valid point that all forums which were used to correct and edit the book should be credited accurately for the function they performed. The credit should be very clear that the members of the listed forums contributed to the book by providing criticism and proofreading functions without which the book would contain more errors than it currently possesses.

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-02-2013), ceptimus (01-02-2013), LadyShea (01-02-2013), Spacemonkey (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
That would be an awfully long letter.
Yes, but if they are going to read 500+ pages of Lessans drivel, surely they could manage a 400+ page letter that could only be easier to slog through. If you include some of Lessans better statments and the responses to them, those philosophers would dive into it just for some light reading. You should also include a fair warning to not read too much at one time, for fear of crossed eyes, headaches, and blindness.
Thanks, from:
Spacemonkey (01-02-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Although peacegirl seems to either have left or is taking a break. I thought her responses here were very pertinent to some points being made throughout these threads. So I wanted to point out some things.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Readers would probably be interested in seeing the problem worked out. You could easily add a reference notation in the text, then a reference section at the back of the book with the table and the caption "Thank you Ceptimus of Freethought-Forum.com for providing this clear proof of the correct answer"
No LadyShea. First of all, that is saying Lessans did not have the right answer. He knew the answer. I am having a hard enough time bringing this knowledge to light than right at the starting gate telling people that there were changes due to errors.
No, it's ambiguous. I worded it that way on purpose. You would be crediting Ceptimus for his work, but readers would most likely think he only provided the proof...and that table is really good and easy to understand.

Even so, you just admitted that you are happy to lie as long as it protects Lessans. Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Even though they were trivialities, it would not fare well for the book, and I would never do that. The world needs this knowledge so for me to jeapordize this work in any way would be terrible.
So you 'll just go ahead and steal what you want and not give anyone the credit they deserve.

I suppose you think the ends justify the means, no matter how dishonest and objectionable. Yet, you think we all have the same conscience?
Quote:
You are not the judge of me LadyShea.
In this instance I was judging actions. I am the judge of actions. If those actions were written up without reference to the actor, I would judge these actions as wrong for anyone. For myself included. My conscience would not allow me to plagiarize. My conscience would not allow me to fail to acknowledge someone else's work.

This idea of evaluating scenarios blindly, without knowing who performed the actions (including not knowing if you yourself performed them), is a very good thought experiment and showed Lessans ideas about not blaming to be untenable. Spacemonkey proposed it and peacegirl weaseled of course.

So of course I am the judge. If I am to judge myself (to prevent myself doing harm) I must be able to view actions and words and judge them as right or wrong.

Quote:
You are the one with ulterior motives.
Projection. What does "ulterior motives" have to do with anything I said?

Quote:
I did not steal Ceptimus's answer. He willingly gave it to me because he could see that Lessans made a simple typo.
Just because he showed me the mistake doesn't mean I have to include his name in the book. That's nuts.
Acknowledging the source of a correction is not nuts. It's honest, respectful, and just all around a good practice.
Quote:
Lessans explained how to go about arriving at the answer. He gave the numbers for the first two stores. It was simple arithematic after that.
Yet peacegirl was unable to do the arithmetic herself to arrive at the correct answer to put in the book, and relied on someone else to provide it, and now refuses to acknowledge that person in the corrected work.
Quote:
You have a habit of twisting things around to make it appear what it is not. That is your modus operandi.
I have not twisted anything. I stated the facts and my opinion of them. Others may agree or disagree with my opinion, but I have not misrepresented any fact that I am aware of.

Quote:
It seems like you've taken on this thread as your pet project. You are committed to discrediting him any way you can, but it won't work because he's not wrong and your bashing me, or giving a poor review, will only create further interest when other people give good reviews. And believe me, there will be plenty of good reviews.
Thus peacegirl shares her fantasies of future vindication for Lessans and herself...again. If people read my commentary here, and disagree with my opinions as stated, then they disagree. So what?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
That would also be a good way to credit all of the material you used that was not Lessans original research or work; The extensive quotes by Durant and Morrison (single lines need not be footnoted in my opinion, but whole paragraphs or pages should be), the page of doctor's quotes you lifted wholesale off the web.
Quote:
He named the book he was referring to, and some of the exact pages. You are throwing that word around too easily LadyShea.
Quote:
What word am I throwing around too easily?
Liar.
Telling lies is known as lying, yes. People who lie are liars, yes. Don't like being called a liar, don't lie. Simple.

Quote:
[
Quote:
I quoted the people who said certain comments with their name attached.
Quote:
No, you copied a list of quotes attributed to people that somebody else compiled. You didn't verify that the quotes or attributions were accurate, or even that those were actual people. You have no idea if they said those things or not or if those things were even said at all. Somebody may have just made them up for all you know- or care apparently. You also didn't credit the website source from which you took the compiled list
Quote:
I am not changing the format of this book. The few pages I used to support what was being said was fair use in my opinion.
To refer back to the full discussion of this issue, search the thread for "Internet Checkers" and scroll back. Suffice to say peacegirl does not understand fair use.

Quote:
It will be easy for people to confirm whether these quotes were authentic.
So why didn't peacegirl do this "easy" verification before printing it in the book? Nobody knows!

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I didn't use footnotes in the common way, but I also did not lie or take someone's work as my own.
Quote:
You did, I proved that way back with the list of doctor's quotes.
Quote:
Not true. I did not take their quotes and make them mine. Their names are next to their quotes. How dare you accuse me of this when it's such a lie.
peacegirl displays her ignorance of what constitutes someone else's work. In this case the work was the initial research and compilation of quotes from various medical doctors. She simply copied the final product from a website and pasted it into the book.

Quote:
Quote:
You could also include a blanket thank you to all the forums you visited, as you made changes after each one based on those discussions "Thank you to the participants of ILovePhilosphy and IIDB and x, y, z for their contributions" or whatever. It need not be detailed
Quote:
Ughhhhhh. Never!!! These people didn't know anything about the book. Nothing, nada, zilch.
Quote:
Did you change molecules to photons on your own, or because you were prompted to by a discussion? Did you remove the line about homosexuality of your own accord or because of the discussions here?
These were the few things I changed, and you won't let me live it down. Don't give me anymore advice on the off chance that I may take it, or I'll be indebted to you forever. :(

Quote:
They contributed if any changes you made were based on comments from other people.
They contributed nothing.

Quote:
You demand respect and say you have integrity then do shit like this. You are appallingly self absorbed
Here comes de judge! You are so off the mark, it's funny.

Quote:
The only thing they did for me was to make me thick skinned. I have no one to thank except the few people in here, which I already did.
Quote:
But you didn't offer any credit in the book, because you are dishonest
Not.
Yeah, just blanket denials of facts and histrionics. No need to explore further
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you a quack?
Quote:
"I know my theory is right, without wasting my time learning the accepted theories."
Science doesn't work that way, either. The fact is, the accepted theories already work, so why replace them? To start with, you have to reproduce all the correct results of the established theories: That means you first have to learn those theories, then check that your new theory can successfully reproduce their correct results. After all, if they're so wrong, why do they work so well? Secondly, to replace the old theories, you have to do better: Successfully predict something the old theories don't. In other words, your new theory has to agree with the old theories where they agree with experiment, and also agree with experiment where the old theory disagrees. But how would you know all that if you haven't studied the old theories in the first place? Would you read a movie review by someone who didn't see the movie?
I mentioned this over a year ago, and never got a reply. It's worth bringing up again.

We have a blind spot in each eye. The standard model of sight explains exactly why this is so.

If Lessans' "model" of sight were correct, there should be no blind spot.

I'm betting that peacegirl can neither explain why Lessans' model predicts that we should not have blind spots, nor why we do have them.

So go on, peacegirl, demonstrate that Lessans' model of sight is superior. It should be a very simple thing to do: explain to us how Lessans' model accounts for the existence of the blind spot in each eye.

Go on, I dare you. I double-dog dare you.
Did you happen to miss this, peacegirl?
It is not about prediction; it is about what is going on in reality. Is that not what we are aiming for? I can't come back with what you expect as a double-dog dare, but I would hope that you would not be so cold as to attack me without absolute proof that I am wrong, and you don't have that proof Lone. If the eyes are efferent, this would not change the fact that we have a blind spot. It would show up in the same exact way. :(

Last edited by peacegirl; 01-06-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My lack of desire to be credited personally in this book, if I were to contribute to any changes, should not take away from this valid point that all forums which were used to correct and edit the book should be credited accurately for the function they performed. The credit should be very clear that the members of the listed forums contributed to the book by providing criticism and proofreading functions without which the book would contain more errors than it currently possesses.
I cannot even read what you have to say because you so positive in your "correctness" that you are using this as a given. Do you not see the problem with this? For those who see what goes on under the surface, kudos to you. But there are many who are not even capable of seeing this truth. I am depending on those who may be smart enough to see the problem here and are willing to admit that something smells foul. Without this understanding, no one will even want to rectify, or want to know what they may be doing that could be contributing to the situation, which taken on a large scale becomes astronomical.

Last edited by peacegirl; 01-06-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The changes that were made were negligible. You offered nothing at all to the concepts. Stop trying to exploit, which is exactly what you are doing.
I do not consider proofreading something that has to be noted in the book. I can thank people for their help (which I have done) in catching trivial typos and such, but I do not have to prostate myself in deference to these individuals to where they should now be regarded as co-authors. This is really sick, you know that?

Last edited by peacegirl; 01-06-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Jin, Gi, Rei, Ko, Chi, Shin, Tei

Do you seriously believe that you don't have a blind spot in each eye? There's a very simple test to demonstrate that you do, you know.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that you don't have a blind spot in each eye? There's a very simple test to demonstrate that you do, you know.
I know we have a blind spot. That's not what I'm even arguing, and you know it.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:

It is not about prediction; it is about what is going on in reality. There are no blind spots other than what you have created.

Now this is something else, Peacegirl claiming that there are no blind spots in the eye. Even I knew about that. I learned about the blind spots so long ago that I cant remember when and where I learned it.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
..... because you so positive in your "correctness" that you are using this as a given. Do you not see the problem with this?

I believe somewhere on this very thread there was a reference to 'The pot calling the kettle black'. For Peacegirl's benefit, 'that is when you accuse someone else of doing something that you-yourself are doing'.

So Koan is assuming her own correctness, well then Peacegirl has been setting an example that others are now starting to follow, at least according to Peacegirl, and we all know that Peacegirl/Lessans are never wrong.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
I know we have a blind spot. That's not what I'm even arguing, and you know it.

Flip - Flop - Flip - Flop - Flip - Flop.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Why have you come back?

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy