Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Default Re: A revolution in thought

I happened to come upon this video. This truly is the power of determination, not that every person will be healed because of will-power. That is not the case in all circumstances, but it does show how determination of the human spirit can affect the outcome of a situation whether it is a physical change or a psychological change, which is even more important than physical in my humble opinion.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM
cold, heartless bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
Lessans starts his Brave New World with a bunch of types of displaced people who will be the "first" group to take their examinations for citizenship. This includes the President of the United States and all other world leaders. Then the defence departments, and other government employees will be the first. Then the POlice will be the first... insurance agents etc. Setting aside how many "firsts" there are, he then goes on to explain how the new world will be regulated and it sounds exactly like... the government. The governments are displaced because we don't need them but somehow we end up with a global IRS.
You are misrepresenting this book. Apologize.
I've misrepresented nothing. You can't quote one passage to defend that there are contradictions. That one passage is merely one half of the contradiction. The contradiction occurs because of your one passage held up next to the others.

If I have to read the whole damn book to justify speaking about it, you have to listen to me tell you what I think of it. Your fathers book caused me physical pain last night. It is literally painful to read. I haven't heard you apologize to any of us that you have put us through that torture so you get no apology from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan
We don't need insurance, then we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
He never said we won't need insurance. Where does it say that?
He says it more than once, in a few ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book of Awesomeness
I realize how difficult it must be for you to conceive a world without liability insurance and the Department of Motor Vehicles, but you will learn soon enough that millions of people are going to be permanently displaced from their manner of earning a living but they will not be hurt in any way, so don’t jump to any conclusions; just be patient. p109

Soon to be displaced are judges, juries, lawyers, the entire penal system, crime investigators, intelligence agencies, liability insurance, every kind of license granting permission to do something, all printed forms to check on your honesty, credit cards (all but the IBM), travelers checks, money orders, the banks as a place to safeguard money, and all tax adjusters. p180

And since the guarantee renders obsolete the need to save for a rainy day since you will be given the money needed should any emergency force you to go below your standard of living (which has never been possible before), that much more money will go back into the taxpayer’s pocket because you can drop your insurance policies without hurting the insurance companies. p213

Quote:

You are looking more and more ignorant. People can see through you koan because your motivation is to laugh at and condemn. Your mind is already made up that he has nothing of value so you are completely blocked. It is clear to me that you are a very unenlightened person.
Then don't make it so easy to laugh at you.

Who joins first? Who joins second? A lot of firsts happen. You want to debate over who was first, second etc? Just ask "do they drive a car?" Yes? They're in the first group.

Quote:
But this cannot be too much of a problem because motor vehicle operators will be among the first group to become citizens. p206

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm Deplorable.

quote=peacegirl;1102760]
Quote:
And since the guarantee renders obsolete the need to save for a rainy day since you will be given the money needed should any emergency force you to go below your standard of living (which has never been possible before), that much more money will go back into the taxpayer’s pocket because you can drop your insurance policies without hurting the insurance companies. p213
[/QUOTE]

Just where is this money comeing from, that is not specified in the book, it just states that everyone is guaranteed a minimum standard of living. With all these people being put out of work, what are the new jobs they will get, that is not stated anywhere either.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Lessans starts his Brave New World with a bunch of types of displaced people who will be the "first" group to take their examinations for citizenship. This includes the President of the United States and all other world leaders. Then the defence departments, and other government employees will be the first. Then the POlice will be the first... insurance agents etc. Setting aside how many "firsts" there are, he then goes on to explain how the new world will be regulated and it sounds exactly like... the government. The governments are displaced because we don't need them but somehow we end up with a global IRS.
You are misrepresenting this book. Apologize.
Quote:
I've misrepresented nothing.
Yes you have.

Quote:
You can't quote one passage to defend that there are contradictions. That one passage is merely one half of the contradiction. The contradiction occurs because of your one passage held up next to the others.
Huh? Show me where there is a contradiction.

Quote:
If I have to read the whole damn book to justify speaking about it, you have to listen to me tell you what I think of it.
I don't have to answer a person who is not here to learn. You are not asking pertinent questions; you are laughing at what you think are mistakes because you want to win. That's all this is about with you, winning. You don't even hear how you are coming off.

Quote:
Your fathers book caused me physical pain last night. It is literally painful to read. I haven't heard you apologize to any of us that you have put us through that torture so you get no apology from me.
Well I compiled it and it hasn't caused me any pain. Why didn't you put the book down the minute you felt pain? No one is forcing you to read it. You are not the type that should be reading it. You are misrepresenting every word he's written. And please don't tell me you understand this knowledge because you don't have a clue.

Quote:
We don't need insurance, then we do.
Quote:
He never said we won't need insurance. Where does it say that?
Quote:
He says it more than once, in a few ways.
He did not say we won't need insurance. He said the guarantee will cover emergencies so this type of coverage won't be needed. He did not say all insurance is going to become obsolete. Again, you have no clue what you're reading. You must be skipping all over the place and that's what you call careful reading?
Quote:
I realize how difficult it must be for you to conceive a world without liability insurance and the Department of Motor Vehicles, but you will learn soon enough that millions of people are going to be permanently displaced from their manner of earning a living but they will not be hurt in any way, so don’t jump to any conclusions; just be patient. p109[/qote]

That is true. There will be no liability insurance. There will be no fault insurance.

Soon to be displaced are judges, juries, lawyers, the entire penal system, crime investigators, intelligence agencies, liability insurance, every kind of license granting permission to do something, all printed forms to check on your honesty, credit cards (all but the IBM), travelers checks, money orders, the banks as a place to safeguard money, and all tax adjusters. p180

Yes, this type of insurance can be dropped because the guarantee will cover it should an emergency occur and you are forced to go below your standard of living. What don't you understand? That is why you wouldn't have to include that in your standard of living expenses.

Quote:

You are looking more and more ignorant. People can see through you koan because your motivation is to laugh at and condemn. Your mind is already made up that he has nothing of value so you are completely blocked. It is clear to me that you are a very unenlightened person.

Quote:
Then don't make it so easy to laugh at you.
Anyone can find something to laugh at if that is their goal. Your goal is not to understand the book which is why you never will.
Quote:
Who joins first? Who joins second? A lot of firsts happen. You want to debate over who was first, second etc? Just ask "do they drive a car?" Yes? They're in the first group.
Don't you hear yourself? You are not engaging with me. You are trying to discredit the book like so many other people have already done. You're just another one in line, but you won't be able to do it, because this book is credible.

Quote:
But this cannot be too much of a problem because motor vehicle operators will be among the first group to become citizens. p206
You're making a big deal over nothing koan. The reason drivers will become the first citizens is because they will be able to drop their liability insurance. You are nitpicking because you want him to be wrong in the worst way, but he isn't wrong.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 12-14-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
quote=peacegirl;1102760]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc
Just where is this money comeing from, that is not specified in the book, it just states that everyone is guaranteed a minimum standard of living. With all these people being put out of work, what are the new jobs they will get, that is not stated anywhere either.
It is stated explicitly in the book. So much money is going to freed up that it will not be difficult to get this guarantee to work across the globe. Please read the whole chapter otherwise you will not get a full picture of how this guarantee works. It is foolproof.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
cold, heartless bitch

Quote:

Don't you hear yourself? You are not engaging with me. You are trying to discredit the book like so many other people have already done. You're just another one in line, but you won't be able to do it, because this book is credible.
You're right. Lots of people have already discredited this book... yet you still go on. The book may be incredible but certainly not credible in any normal use of the word.

Quote:
You're making a big deal over nothing koan. The reason drivers will become the first citizens is because they will be able to drop their liability insurance. You are nitpicking because you want him to be wrong in the worst way, but he's not wrong.
It's you that is making a big deal about nothing: This book is nothing but a bunch of gibberish. This is his bloody "blueprint" for a new global society and he has multiple groups of "first" then leaves some of his firsts behind then puts them back in again. Also, your global IRS "guarantee" system that is supposed to make everyone happy actually guarantees that billionaires will stay billionaires while other people barely subsist. What he does is freeze the massive inequality that currently exists into a moment of time and insists that everyone will be happy. News flash for you: People aren't happy about the massive inequality that currently exists. They don't want it.

As far as "nitpicking" goes, this is nitpicking:

Didn't someone on another forum tell you to never use the "quote" button? You can't just insert comments in the middle of a quote without messing up who said what. You need to "/quote" before you write. For all your carrying on about mathematical thinking and how good you are at it, you can't even grasp the basic mathematics of using tags. For every start tag there must be a closing tag and within each tag set there should be only one operation(author) taking place. Don't even think about nesting quotes within quotes until you master the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by I said you said
Wherein they happened in numerical order.
Stick to 1
Be wary of 2
Pass an examination before attempting 3

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
But (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Spacemonkey, he knew what the words he was using meant.
No, he didn't. His no blame postulate does not meet the definition you just gave.
It most certainly does.
No, it doesn't Peacegirl. Firstly, it is an imperative command rather than a proposition, so it isn't even the kind of thing that can be true or false, never mind something that can be proven true. So it isn't something proven true in the course of proving something else. And secondly, it isn't even a consequence, conclusion, or result. It is simply a prescriptive postulate you would have the whole world adopt because of the (alleged) favorable consequences of doing so once it is realized that the will is (allegedly) not free.
Angakuk (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Please answer what I just asked you:

1. What is the best possible outcome for both prisoners collectively?
That they would gain
Incorrect. The best possible outcome for both prisoners collectively is for neither to confess, in which case they both serve one month in prison.

Quote:
Quote:
2. What is the actual outcome when both prisoners act rationally?
That only one would gain
Incorrect. The actual outcome when both prisoners act rationally is that both will confess, and both will therefore serve 3 months in prison.

Quote:
Quote:
3. Why are the two different?
The two are different because one wins if one defects, but together they both win to a much greater degree even though each one individually does not.
The two are different because the best collective outcome is only achievable if both parties know for sure that the other will co-operate. So long as this cannot be guaranteed, it is in the best interests of each individual to not co-operate and instead confess. For person A (and vice versa) so long as person B may or may not confess, it is best for person A to confess - no matter what person B does, in each case person A is better off to confess - despite the fact the best possible collective result requires neither to confess. This is why in these actual circumstances the best collective result will tend not to be achieved.

The general lesson to be learned, Peacegirl, is that for an action (or refraining from a particular action) to be in the best collective interest of a group of rational people is no guarantee at all that it will be selected, and where there is no guarantee of unanimous co-operation or enforcement it is almost certain not to be selected (so long as there is some motivation at the individual level to not co-operate).

If you still can't see the obvious relevance here for the no-blame postulate, then I will explain it for you. But first I need you to tell me if you now understand the dilemma, and if you dispute anything of what I have just explained.
Angakuk (12-15-2012), LadyShea (12-15-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You're right. Lots of people have already discredited this book... yet you still go on. The book may be incredible but certainly not credible in any normal use of the word.
And who are these other people koan that you are referring to? Lots of people doesn't cut it. It's a cop out.

Quote:
You're making a big deal over nothing koan. The reason drivers will become the first citizens is because they will be able to drop their liability insurance. You are nitpicking because you want him to be wrong in the worst way, but he's not wrong.
Quote:
It's you that is making a big deal about nothing: This book is nothing but a bunch of gibberish. This is his bloody "blueprint" for a new global society and he has multiple groups of "first" then leaves some of his firsts behind then puts them back in again.
He didn't have to say who would be the first citizens (it really doesn't matter because everyone will be taking the examination and becoming a citizen), but he did only because he believed motorists would be able to drop their liability insurance immediately. But this has nothing to do with the validity of the blueprint. It doesn't matter who is first and who is second, except for the leaders who would have to be the very first citizens because this would allow new citizens to be free from any further blame by their respective governments and will prevent any satisfaction to strike a first blow.

Quote:
The other first would be the leaders of every nation Also, your global IRS "guarantee" system that is supposed to make everyone happy actually guarantees that billionaires will stay billionaires while other people barely subsist. What he does is freeze the massive inequality that currently exists into a moment of time and insists that everyone will be happy. News flash for you: People aren't happy about the massive inequality that currently exists. They don't want it.
But you are completely wrong. Everyone will have an opportunity to increase their standard of living. The standard of living that is guaranteed is the amount of money a person is making when the transition begins. If a person is on welfare, a basic standard will become his guarantee, but again this does not mean he can't increase his standard of living and that he is forever stuck in a lower income bracket. He could become a millionaire and may never need help from the guarantee again.

Quote:
As far as "nitpicking" goes, this is nitpicking:

Didn't someone on another forum tell you to never use the "quote" button? You can't just insert comments in the middle of a quote without messing up who said what. You need to "/quote" before you write. For all your carrying on about mathematical thinking and how good you are at it, you can't even grasp the basic mathematics of using tags. For every start tag there must be a closing tag and within each tag set there should be only one operation(author) taking place. Don't even think about nesting quotes within quotes until you master the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by I said you said
Wherein they happened in numerical order.
Stick to 1
Be wary of 2
Pass an examination before attempting 3
I don't need your help, nor do I want it. You are especially mean spirited and I really don't want to talk to you about the book anymore.

Last edited by peacegirl; 12-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That they would gain
Incorrect. The best possible outcome for both prisoners collectively is for neither to confess, in which case they both serve one month in prison.

Quote:
Quote:
That only one would gain
Incorrect. The actual outcome when both prisoners act rationally is that both will confess, and both will therefore serve 3 months in prison.

Quote:
Quote:
The two are different because one wins if one defects, but together they both win to a much greater degree even though each one individually does not.
The two are different because the best collective outcome is only achievable if both parties know for sure that the other will co-operate. So long as this cannot be guaranteed, it is in the best interests of each individual to not co-operate and instead confess. For person A (and vice versa) so long as person B may or may not confess, it is best for person A to confess - no matter what person B does, in each case person A is better off to confess - despite the fact the best possible collective result requires neither to confess. This is why in these actual circumstances the best collective result will tend not to be achieved.

The general lesson to be learned, Peacegirl, is that for an action (or refraining from a particular action) to be in the best collective interest of a group of rational people is no guarantee at all that it will be selected, and where there is no guarantee of unanimous co-operation or enforcement it is almost certain not to be selected (so long as there is some motivation at the individual level to not co-operate).

If you still can't see the obvious relevance here for the no-blame postulate, then I will explain it for you. But first I need you to tell me if you now understand the dilemma, and if you dispute anything of what I have just explained.
Are you assuming that there won't be the cooperation necessary for this new world to work because no one will know what someone else is going to do, therefore they will choose not to cooperate in their own self-interest? Is that it?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Spacemonkey, he knew what the words he was using meant.
No, he didn't. His no blame postulate does not meet the definition you just gave.
It most certainly does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
No, it doesn't Peacegirl. Firstly, it is an imperative command rather than a proposition, so it isn't even the kind of thing that can be true or false, never mind something that can be proven true.
We're back to square one. He proposed that man's will is not free. This is a corollary of determinism. You may think differently but it seems to me that this isn't even contested in philosophical circles. Determinism = no blame.

Quote:
So it isn't something proven true in the course of proving something else.
But it is. It is a corollary of determinism.

Quote:
And secondly, it isn't even a consequence, conclusion, or result. It is simply a prescriptive postulate you would have the whole world adopt because of the (alleged) favorable consequences of doing so once it is realized that the will is (allegedly) not free.
This is not a postulate Spacemonkey, and until you realize this you will fight me tooth and nail.

pos·tu·late/ˈpäsCHəˌlāt/

Verb

Suggest or assume the existence, fact, or truth of (something) as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or belief.

Noun

A thing suggested or assumed as true as the basis for reasoning, discussion, or belief.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 AM
cold, heartless bitch

Quote:
But you are completely wrong. Everyone will have an opportunity to increase their standard of living. The standard of living that is guaranteed is the amount of money a person is making when the transition begins. If a person is on welfare, a basic standard will become his guarantee, but again this does not mean he can't increase his standard of living and that he is forever stuck in a lower income bracket. He could become a millionaire and may never need help from the guarantee again.

I don't need your help, nor do I want it. You are especially mean spirited and I really don't want to talk to you about the book anymore.
The guarantee is set up so all millionaires are guaranteed to receive their current weekly wages. Those wages are what create poverty. Every time money is created, it simultaneously creates debt because it is loaned at interest. The millionaires are hoarding the money required to pay off debt and, even if they emptied their savings accounts out of the goodness of their hearts, there would still be debt left over. China pretty much owns the USA right now. Add to my "what do you know about evil, peacegirl?" a second question: "what do you know about money, peacegirl?"

I agree, you don't need my help, you need professional help. It's not mean spirited to try and get someone to seek help when they need it.

- Albert Camus
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (12-15-2012), But (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:
The guarantee is set up so all millionaires are guaranteed to receive their current weekly wages. Those wages are what create poverty. Every time money is created, it simultaneously creates debt because it is loaned at interest. The millionaires are hoarding the money required to pay off debt and, even if they emptied their savings accounts out of the goodness of their hearts, there would still be debt left over. China pretty much owns the USA right now. Add to my "what do you know about evil, peacegirl?" a second question: "what do you know about money, peacegirl?"
Interest is going to be very low, and the guarantee is not going to charge interest.

Quote:
I agree, you don't need my help, you need professional help. It's not mean spirited to try and get someone to seek help when they need it.
You need to go back to India and learn about love, because you are anything but loving. Good bye. And don't post to me again.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That they would gain

Quote:
Quote:
That only one would gain

Quote:
Quote:

Are you assuming that there won't be the cooperation necessary for this new world to work because no one will know what someone else is going to do, therefore they will choose not to cooperate in their own self-interest? Is that it?
I'm not assuming anything. At the moment I'm just asking if you understand the prisoner's dilemma and agree with what I just explained can be learned from it.
koan (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
We're back to square one. He proposed that man's will is not free. This is a corollary of determinism. You may think differently but it seems to me that this isn't even contested in philosophical circles. Determinism = no blame.

This is not a postulate Spacemonkey, and until you realize this you will fight me tooth and nail.
You don't have the faintest idea of what goes on in philosophical circles, or of what is or is not there contested. That determinism = no blame is massively contested.

"Thou shalt not blame" is a prescriptive command. It cannot be true or false. It can only be adopted or not adopted as something to follow. Therefore it cannot be either proved, or proved in the course of proving something else. It cannot be a corollary.

As a corollary it would have to be changed to "People will not blame others when they know that the will is not free". But this has never been proved at all. People can and will blame others so long as they view harmful actions to be bad and something one should feel bad about. You agreed that these judgements/feelings will not disappear, but that people will instead simply choose not to act upon them once they see what can (allegedly) be achieved by choosing to adopt a no-blame principle.

This is why I earlier asked you whether the absence of blame was meant to be something derived from his arguments regarding free will and satisfaction, or rather something to be adopted by all on the basis of the better world it (allegedly) makes possible. If the former, then he is refuted by the fact that he fails to consider both sides of his equation in both contexts (that of conscience and that of blaming others). And if the latter, then he is refuted by the point I am drawing towards with the prisoner's dilemma. If both the former and the latter (which is the answer you gave), then he is refuted by both objections.
Angakuk (12-15-2012), But (12-15-2012), LadyShea (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You need to go back to India and learn about love, because you are anything but loving. Good bye. And don't post to me again.
Peacegirl, that is a very mean thing to say.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Quote:
He did not say we won't need insurance. He said the guarantee will cover emergencies so this type of coverage won't be needed. He did not say all insurance is going to become obsolete. Again, you have no clue what you're reading. You must be skipping all over the place and that's what you call careful reading?
So what kind of insurance will be needed and/or used in the Golden Age?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Interest is going to be very low, and the guarantee is not going to charge interest.

Quote:
Why India? Is that your latent racism talking?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
Always keep cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
No, that's peace girl Ladyshea.
REMEMBER...........THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN IS ONLY AND JUST ONLY THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON MAKES YOU A WHOLE PERSON AND NOTHING ELSE....HOW YOU HAVE SEX , HOW YOU DRESS UP, HOW YOU PRAY only gives away your hobbies

HOW YOU ARE AS A PERSON IS THE MASTER !!

Last edited by Awareness; 12-15-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Peacegirl, that is a very mean thing to say.
Maybe it was a mean thing to say, but she's had meaner things to say. I don't need to converse with someone who is on such a high horse.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Ladyshea, stay out of it okay? I have friends who are from India.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
LOL!

Anyway, why did you tell her to go back to India? That's a very, very odd thing to say.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:
You don't have the faintest idea of what goes on in philosophical circles, or of what is or is not there contested. That determinism = no blame is massively contested.
Not in its pure form Spacemonkey. You keep trying to justify punishment, but you're not allowing Lessans to extend this knowledge without prefacing how you are going to get people to do what is morally correct. You are putting the cart before the horse by assuming that blameworthiness is the only way to change behavior for the better.

Quote:
"Thou shalt not blame" is a prescriptive command. It cannot be true or false. It can only be adopted or not adopted as something to follow. Therefore it cannot be either proved, or proved in the course of proving something else. It cannot be a corollary.
That's true, it is a prescriptive demand, but once it is established that this is the only way to achieve world peace, people will want to be a part of this new world.

Quote:
As a corollary it would have to be changed to "People will not blame others when they know that the will is not free". But this has never been proved at all. People can and will blame others so long as they view harmful actions to be bad and something one should feel bad about. You agreed that these judgements/feelings will not disappear, but that people will instead simply choose not to act upon them once they see what can (allegedly) be achieved by choosing to adopt a no-blame principle.
You are jumping the gun Spacemonkey. It will be proved and when it is, people will want this new world. Man can only move in the direction that is better for himself, not worse. I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "these judgments/feelings will not disappear. People will choose not to blame when they see that not blaming is better than blaming in getting the desired result, which is our deliverance from evil.

Quote:
This is why I earlier asked you whether the absence of blame was meant to be something derived from his arguments regarding free will and satisfaction, or rather something to be adopted by all on the basis of the better world it (allegedly) makes possible. If the former, then he is refuted by the fact that he fails to consider both sides of his equation in both contexts (that of conscience and that of blaming others).
The absense of blame follows from the proof that man's will is not free. He has considered both sides of the equation in both contexts.

Quote:
And if the latter, then he is refuted by the point I am drawing towards with the prisoner's dilemma. If both the former and the latter (which is the answer you gave), then he is refuted by both objections.
These principles are not refuted by flawed logic, and it is flawed. Sorry. :(

Old 12-15-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
LOL!

Anyway, why did you tell her to go back to India? That's a very, very odd thing to say.
She talks about how enlightened she is. India is a place where many people go to find enlightenment. I told her she needs more training and more love because she does not show any of these characteristics. It's gotten to be too much for me.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Not in its pure form Spacemonkey. You keep trying to justify punishment, but you're not allowing Lessans to extend this knowledge without prefacing how you are going to get people to do what is morally correct. You are putting the cart before the horse by assuming that blameworthiness is the only way to change behavior for the better.
I'm not assuming that at all.

Quote:
That's true, it is a prescriptive demand, but once it is established that this is the only way to achieve world peace, people will want to be a part of this new world.
So it's not a corollary.

Quote:
You are jumping the gun Spacemonkey. It will be proved and when it is, people will want this new world.
You are jumping the gun by assuming it will eventually be proved before it has been proved and before you have any evidence in its favor.

Quote:
People will choose not to blame when they see that not blaming is better than blaming in getting the desired result, which is our deliverance from evil.

The absense of blame follows from the proof that man's will is not free.
Once again you are flip-flopping over why there will be no blame. Either people will be unable to blame once they realize that man's will is not free, or they could still choose to blame but will instead choose not to when they see that not blaming is better. You don't seem able to make up your mind whether it is the absence of free will or the benefits of not blaming that will prevent blame.

If the former, then you are wrong because people can and will still blame just so long as they can judge harmful acts that are bad and something one should feel bad about, and such judgements must continue if one is to be able to anticipate having a guilty conscience. If the latter, then you are wrong because having some no-blame principle be in the collective best interests of a group of people is still not enough to ensure that they will follow it, especially when they are individually motivated not to. And if both, then he is refuted on both counts.

Quote:
He has considered both sides of the equation in both contexts.
No, he didn't. He never considered his satisfaction principle as possibly having any effect on one's judgements of self-blame via conscience. And he never considered his principle of not being compelled against one's will as possibly having any effect on one's judgments of the blameworthiness of others. As usual, you are just negating whatever I say without paying any attention to what you are saying.

Quote:
These principles are not refuted by flawed logic, and it is flawed. Sorry. :(
And once again you are retreating behind your faith-based and wholly unsupported assertions that my logic is flawed. You are as predictable as you are wrong.

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy