Go Back   Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I'll be benched for a week if I keep these shenanigans up.

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl View Post
How many times do I have repeat myself that this was an astute observation that cannot be tested directly. This is how conscience works or we wouldn't have one. Yes, there are things that can get in the way of conscience working at full throttle, but that also means we can change the environment in such a way that we can get conscience to work at full throttle.
You can repeat yourself about his claims being astute observations all you like. It doesn't help you one bit. That isn't supporting his claims, but is rather only your excuse for not being able to do so. Again, why do you keep assuming that conscience has some kind of natural "full throttle" state that it is prevented from reaching due to present conditions and limitations? This is the fundamental assumption I keep asking you to support. Would you believe me if I said we had a natural ability to jump to the moon if only our present conditions and practices of [insert social practice here] were to be removed, allowing our jumping ability to run at full throttle?

Quote:
Stop telling me I'm not supporting these claims. I'm explaining what conditions in the environment have to be met (which you don't know yet because you never got that far) for a person not to have any justification to hurt another.
Why should I stop telling you that you are not supporting his claims? YOU AREN'T. You are not providing any support for them at all. I'm not asking you to tell me what conditions you think have to be met to remove all justifications. I'm asking you why you think a justification would always be necessary under those changed conditions.

Quote:
I'm sorry but you can't tell someone in hindsight that has offered a valuable discovery, how he should have done it, or how he should have anticipated certain things, or what he should have written. I know he did the best he could and it took him years to put this discovery into words that people would be able to digest and comprehend. And what do you do? Complain. You just can't do that in all fairness.
I most certainly can. It is perfectly fair and reasonable for me to ask why Lessans never anticipated that the complete absence of any support for his fundamental premises regarding conscience would lead to so many people failing to be convinced of or impressed by his argument. If he was as perceptive and insightful as you claim, then he should have anticipated such an obvious problem. Anyone who has voraciously read and studied history and human behavior should have known that rational people will have a problem with claims that lack any supporting evidence.
Bump.
Bump.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11-24-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Thanks, from:
LadyShea (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I am creating no problem that you yourself aren't doing all by yourself. I understand the definitions you have given. I'm not using them in any other way than what you presented, therefore, I am arguing against the actual compatibilist position, and it's still wrong.
None of what you just said is true. You tried to insist upon using what you thought was the standard definition, saying you didn't care how I was choosing to define my terms. And you repeatedly stated that you didn't understand the distinction I was making, the notion of freedom I had defined for you, or how it differed from contra-causal freedom.

Quote:
That's exactly what you're doing. What do you mean by "mere" causal determination?
"Mere causal determination" means causal determination without the kind of experienced psychological compulsion I have been explaining to you. And why do you ask? Didn't you just tell me you understood the definitions I have given?

Quote:
You're very confused Spacemonkey. You are not listening at all, which is why you don't get it. This theory is wrong because there are no causal conditions where someone is free. That right there is a contradiction, which you are trying to overcome by distinguishing between compulsive actions and those that are not, but the point is that the compulsive actions you are deeming free and therefore blameworthy, are also under a compulsion. Can't you see the contradiction in what you just said?

It doesn't matter whether or not it can be overcome in the face of really terrible consequences, the point is simply that this is a different kind of 'compulsion' to merely being caused

Obviously, someone who is ill and does things compulsively has a different kind of problem than a "mere" causal condition, but it's still causal. That's what I've been trying to tell you.
I don't think I'm confused, and I can assure you I am paying attention to what you say (probably more attention than you are). So why are you again telling me there is a contradiction without telling me what it is? I do not see any contradiction in what I said. Nor do you. If you did, then you would have been able to tell me what it was. The actions I am deeming free and blameworthy are not under the kind of compulsion I have been talking about. And that renders them free in the only sense relevant to moral responsibility and blameworthiness. I've never denied that a person acting from compulsion is still causally determined, so I have no idea why you've been trying to tell me this.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey
The kind of psychological compulsion I have been talking about certainly is a matter of degree - a compelled choice can be more or less resistant to changes in antecedent causal factors. But the difference between this kind of compulsion and causal determination is not merely one of degree.
So what is it then?
I explained it in the post you just replied to: "Being caused merely requires the choice to be the same given the exact same antecedent causal conditions. Being compelled (in my sense) requires in addition to this that the choice will also be the same given significant changes in those antecedent causal conditions. This is not merely a difference in the degree of compulsion."

Quote:
Just because there's no resistance to change does not mean a person is free in the sense of free will. Yes, he is free of psychological compulsion. But that doesn't mean his choices are blameworthy because they aren't the kind of "compulsion" compatibilists consider excusable.
The lack of resistance to change in antecedent causal conditions makes the person free in the sense of free will that compatibilism has defined. It isn't meant to make the will free in any other sense, and especially not in the contra-causal sense. Compatibilism does not view that kind of freedom as morally relevant. And yes, according to compatibilism choices are made blameworthy by being 'compelled' only in the sense of being caused, because that is an excusable - i.e. not morally relevant - kind of 'compulsion'.

Quote:
You make an artificial distinction between causal determination and compulsion, which is the source of the problem.
Your not liking it doesn't make it 'artificial' or problematic. What exactly is an "artificial distinction", and why are they bad? Are you trying to say that it is an ad hoc or irrelevant distinction? Could you support either charge?

Quote:
You are obviously only defining compulsion when it's felt. That is not at all what Lessans is referring to. You understood nothing I wrote in the previous post. If life is causing you to move in a certain direction, can you be blamed for moving in that direction? I really don't care about a definition if the underlying proposition is wrong.
Can you state this "underlying proposition" and tell me why it is wrong? Yes, I am defining the kind of compulsion I am talking about as one that must be felt. Yes, that means Lessans' notion of being compelled to move in the direction of greater satisfaction does not qualify as a compulsion of the sort I have been explaining to you - i.e. it is not an example of the kind of compulsion which compatibilism views as a constraint upon or a threat to free will.

Quote:
I don't see where the differences where this "freedom" you are talking about is anything other than the standard definition of free will. Causal determination + free will = incompatibility
I thought you said you understood the definitions I have been using? Was that not true? The compatibilist freedom I have defined differs from the contra-causal sort by requiring only that one could have done otherwise in causally similar situations, but not that one could have done otherwise in casually identical situations. Your above equation only holds if the 'free will' in question is of the contra-causal variety, and this is not the kind of free will that compatibilism is concerned with.

Quote:
Sloganeering? Where does that come into the discussion? As I said, we are compelled (whether it's the kind that can be seen, or not) to move in a particular direction, so there is no separation between compulsions that give some people a free pass, and others not.
And compatibilism says that this kind of compulsion simply isn't relevant to whether or not we are free in the sense of being morally responsible agents who can be fairly blamed for our actions.

Quote:
Quote:
The point is simply that it is a different kind of compulsion to merely being caused.
There is no compulsion that is uncaused. That's what compulsion means. Again, we're on two different wavelengths entirely.
Yes, you are apparently on a wavelength of not reading what I wrote, for I never said that there can be compulsions which are not caused. I have put in bold the word which you appear to have missed.

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. But a person who is able to change based on significant changes in antecedent events does not make him blameworthy anymore than the person who will be the same regardless of significant changes in causal conditions.
I'm glad you finally understand that the distinction I've been drawing is not merely one of degree. But I disagree with your above claim. A person whose choice is open to change based on changes to antecedent causal conditions is rendered blameworthy because blame then becomes a causal factor itself in influencing future behaviour in similar circumstances. A person whose choice is not open in this way, due to being subject to coercion or the kind of compulsion I have been talking about is not blameworthy because blame will be ineffective - it will just become another factor which fails to influence the choice due to the compulsion in question. So the distinction I have been making is both legitimate and morally relevant.

Quote:
Being immune to changes in antecedent events as being the only kind of person that is exempt of responsibility, while another is not exempt because his choices "could be changed by antecedent events" is a definition that is not useful whatsoever, because it's not right. It's a mishmash of words thrown together to try to make it appear as if there's a relevant distinction. This still reverts right back to free will because what you're saying is that given significant antecedent conditions that are free of the kind of compulsion that is exempt, this person could have acted differently. But the question remains: How do you know this? This is not proof that a person can act differently if the alternative (the favored choice) is considered worse.
Definitions cannot be right or wrong. My distinction is not a mishmash of words, and I have explained why it is relevant. The person could have acted differently because there is no coercion or compulsion present preventing a change in antecedent conditions from causally determining a different resulting choice. We can know this because it follows from the definitions. It doesn't need proving. And the freedom I have defined does not require one to be able to choose what one views as a worse choice. It requires only that one could have chosen it by not viewing it as the worse choice (given differing antecedent circumstances).

Quote:
I, too, am going to point out your mistakes and misunderstandings, because there are many.
It's a pity then that you can't identify or point out any of these alleged mistakes of mine, for if there are any then I would like to know about them.

Quote:
I have a very strong rational basis for my position. Compatibilism is wrong.
That's not a rational basis. That's merely you repeating your overall position. A basis would be the supposedly rational grounds upon which this position is based. Grounds which you have yet to provide.

Quote:
But that is an artificial distinction. In true determinism, man is unfree regardless of the type of compulsion you are talking about. This additional word does not change the definition of free will that is compatible with determinism. It's true that in court someone would be found guilty if they were using that definition because it would imply that this person was sane, was not psychotic, was not compelled (your meaning), and therefore morally responsible. We're right back where we started: free will.
I don't know what you think "true determinism" is, but determinism itself does not say that we are unfree. Perhaps you are thinking of hard determinism, which is the combination of determinism and incompatibilism. Yet even hard determinism does not deny that we can be free in the compatibilist sense (it just denies that this freedom is enough to make us morally responsible agents). Other than that I don't know what you are saying here. I don't know what you mean by an 'artificial' distinction, and I don't know what "additional word" you are talking about.

Quote:
A person who is able to change his choice when there is a strong antecedent condition; different from the person who can't do that so easily, does not make his will free. And if his will is free, he wouldn't be determined because the word "determined" means he couldn't choose otherwise. How can a person be free if he can't choose otherwise Spacemonkey? You say he can choose otherwise, which is regular old free will, exactly what Lessans was disputing. Geeeezzeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :(
You haven't been paying attention. You are now back to conflating two senses of 'could have chosen otherwise'. The compatibilist's free agent could not have chosen otherwise in the exact same causal scenario, but he could have chosen differently given slightly different antecedent causal conditions. The compatibilist's unfree compelled agent could not have chosen otherwise given slightly different antecedent circumstances due to the compulsion which renders the choice immune to such changes. According to compatibilism, the kind of ability to have chosen otherwise is not one that requires freedom from causal determination.

Quote:
I have a much stronger argument than you do. Causal determination means "caused". If a person is caused, he cannot be held morally responsible in a deeper sense. Obviously, we're in a free will environment and in order to keep peace, we blame and punish. But we're never going to get to his discovery, which offers a much better solution to blame and punishment. You are just too resistant.
Maybe, but I back up my resistance with clear arguments and explanations. I agree that causal determination means the choice is caused, but I see no reason to agree that this means we are not morally responsible in any deep sense. If you think you have a stronger argument than me then I would very much like you to present it. I'd also like to know why you have been withholding it from us for all of this time.
Bump.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea View Post
If the thought of being blamed by others isn't less satisfying enough to stop an action, why would the thought of guilt (which is simply self blame) be less satisfying enough to stop an action?

Quote:
In other words, the alternative of having to live with this pain is less satisfying than the alternative which is to prevent the act from ever taking place. The constant realization that one will not be blamed for an action that could never be justified is the driving force that prevents the very act that could not be prevented in a free will environment
Bump.

Peacegirl cannot answer this, for it is again the fundamental assumption regarding the innate potential strength of conscience which underlies Lessans' whole argument. The best we will ever get from her is that he astutely 'observed' it to be true and will one day be proven right.
Angakuk (11-25-2012), But (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
How many times do I have repeat myself that this was an astute observation that cannot be tested directly. This is how conscience works or we wouldn't have one. Yes, there are things that can get in the way of conscience working at full throttle, but that also means we can change the environment in such a way that we can get conscience to work at full throttle.
Quote:
You can repeat yourself about his claims being astute observations all you like. It doesn't help you one bit. That isn't supporting his claims, but is rather only your excuse for not being able to do so.
It's not an excuse Spacemonkey, and if you don't like the way he came about this discovery, or you can't even accept the possibility that his observations and reasoning were spot on, then go research other claims that you feel have greater substantive potential.

Quote:
Again, why do you keep assuming that conscience has some kind of natural "full throttle" state that it is prevented from reaching due to present conditions and limitations? This is the fundamental assumption I keep asking you to support. Would you believe me if I said we had a natural ability to jump to the moon if only our present conditions and practices of [insert social practice here] were to be removed, allowing our jumping ability to run at full throttle?
I wouldn't believe you because jumping to the moon is unreasonable. Developing a stronger conscience is not. He demonstrates his observations regarding conscience in detail even though he didn't write the data down, and describes exactly why conscience does not work at full throttle in a free will environment, and why a no blame environment causes conscience to work more efficiently. Again, he is not saying to suddenly stop blaming, because this could make matters worse. He is trying to show you where a "no blame" environment will lead once determinism is established as a scientific fact.

Quote:
Stop telling me I'm not supporting these claims. I'm explaining what conditions in the environment have to be met (which you don't know yet because you never got that far) for a person not to have any justification to hurt another.
Quote:
Why should I stop telling you that you are not supporting his claims? YOU AREN'T. You are not providing any support for them at all. I'm not asking you to tell me what conditions you think have to be met to remove all justifications. I'm asking you why you think a justification would always be necessary under those changed conditions.
And I've answered you. This was an inference that he made after years of careful observation. He didn't write the data down, but the data was in his head and it was significant. These conclusions did not come from a couple of samplings. It was a process of years and years of reading and analyzing which led him to seeing what kind of justifications people use in order to clear their conscience of any responsibility. Yes, there are mentally ill people whose consciences seems to have been severed due to childhood trauma, in which case they may kill without any apparent justification, but these extreme cases are rare and will disappear completely in time.

Quote:
I'm sorry but you can't tell someone in hindsight that has offered a valuable discovery, how he should have done it, or how he should have anticipated certain things, or what he should have written. I know he did the best he could and it took him years to put this discovery into words that people would be able to digest and comprehend. And what do you do? Complain. You just can't do that in all fairness.
Quote:
I most certainly can. It is perfectly fair and reasonable for me to ask why Lessans never anticipated that the complete absence of any support for his fundamental premises regarding conscience would lead to so many people failing to be convinced of or impressed by his argument. If he was as perceptive and insightful as you claim, then he should have anticipated such an obvious problem. Anyone who has voraciously read and studied history and human behavior should have known that rational people will have a problem with claims that lack any supporting evidence.
I am going to repeat one last time that he didn't plan on making a discovery. It happened after years of reading and studying. He was very insightful and perceptive which allowed these truths to be revealed to him even though he didn't plan on making a discovery through the scientific method. That does not mean that his discovery is unscientific. Once this discovery is confirmed valid, how he uncovered this discovery will be less important than the fact that he did, and for you to condemn him even while making a major discovery is unfair and undeserving.

https://www.declineandfallofallevil.com/ebook/

"The fatal tendency of mankind to leave off thinking about a thing
which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-24-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
And I am going to say one last time that he didn't plan on making a discovery. It happened after years of reading and studying. These truths were revealed to him; he didn't go searching for them. Once this discovery is confirmed valid, how he uncovered this discovery will be less important than the fact that he did, and for you to condemn him even while making a major discovery is unfair and undeserving.
This doesn't answer what I asked you to address:

You can repeat yourself about his claims being astute observations all you like. It doesn't help you one bit. That isn't supporting his claims, but is rather only your excuse for not being able to do so. Again, why do you keep assuming that conscience has some kind of natural "full throttle" state that it is prevented from reaching due to present conditions and limitations? This is the fundamental assumption I keep asking you to support. Would you believe me if I said we had a natural ability to jump to the moon if only our present conditions and practices of [insert social practice here] were to be removed, allowing our jumping ability to run at full throttle?
Angakuk (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
If the thought of being blamed by others isn't less satisfying enough to stop an action, why would the thought of guilt (which is simply self blame) be less satisfying enough to stop an action?
Because someone else blaming a person is what conscience needs in order to come up with reasonable excuses which then loosens the grip that conscience holds. Knowing well in advance that he is not going to be blamed because everyone knows he can't help himself (since his will is not free) -- but he knows before he hurts someone that he can help himself; that nothing can make him hurt this person if he doesn't want to (you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink) --- prevents the desire to move in this direction because he cannot justify his contemplated actions. How can he offer excuses for his conduct when he knows he is already excused? Therefore, the only person he has to justify what he is about to do is to himself, no one else, and if his actions are first blows, he cannot do it because the justification that could be used to appease his conscience has been removed by changes in environmental conditions.

Quote:
In other words, the alternative of having to live with this pain is less satisfying than the alternative which is to prevent the act from ever taking place. The constant realization that one will not be blamed for an action that could never be justified is the driving force that prevents the very act that could not be prevented in a free will environment
Quote:
Peacegirl cannot answer this, for it is again the fundamental assumption regarding the innate potential strength of conscience which underlies Lessans' whole argument. The best we will ever get from her is that he astutely 'observed' it to be true and will one day be proven right.
I'm sorry that you are skeptical to the degree that you can't even entertain the thought that he is right. Truth #1: Justification is necessary for human beings to gain at another's expense, and if the justification isn't there, they cannot do it.

which is no longer doubtful is the cause of half their errors" -- John Stuart Mill

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-24-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
And I am going to say one last time that he didn't plan on making a discovery. It happened after years of reading and studying. These truths were revealed to him; he didn't go searching for them. Once this discovery is confirmed valid, how he uncovered this discovery will be less important than the fact that he did, and for you to condemn him even while making a major discovery is unfair and undeserving.
This doesn't answer what I asked you to address:

It's not an assumption Spacemonkey. It's a well established observation that our present free will environment of blame and punishment give people the justification they need to do the very thing these threats of blame and punishment are trying to prevent. I can only ask you to keep an open mind and if you aren't completely convinced that he is right, have a little trust that his observations were absolutely, positively correct so that we can continue the discussion. I can't give you a full data report that would satisfy you, but this knowledge will one day be proven true because this two-sided equation works, and success is the ultimate proof.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that you are skeptical to the degree that you can't even entertain the thought that he is right.
I'm not. I can easily entertain the thought that he could be right. Unfortunately you have offered no reason at all to consider such thoughts to be correct. I am sorry you are dogmatic to the degree that you can't even entertain the thought that he was wrong.

Quote:
Truth #1: Justification is necessary for human beings to gain at another's expense, and if the justification isn't there, they cannot do it.
Labeling it a truth does not make it one. I've asked you several times to support this alleged truth, and you've had nothing at all to offer.
Angakuk (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It's not an assumption Spacemonkey.
Of course it is.

Quote:
It's a well established observation that our present free will environment of blame and punishment give people the justification they need to do the very thing these threats of blame and punishment are trying to prevent.
That's not even what I was asking you about.

Quote:
...have a little trust that his observations were absolutely, positively correct so that we can continue the discussion.
Stop begging us to share your faith. That is never going to happen.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11-24-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
It's not an excuse Spacemonkey, and if you don't like the way he came about this discovery, or you can't even accept the possibility that his observations and reasoning were spot on, then go research other claims that you feel have greater substantive potential.
Of course it's an excuse. It's exactly what you say every time you are asked to support something you are unable to support.

Quote:
Quote:
Again, why do you keep assuming that conscience has some kind of natural "full throttle" state that it is prevented from reaching due to present conditions and limitations? This is the fundamental assumption I keep asking you to support. Would you believe me if I said we had a natural ability to jump to the moon if only our present conditions and practices of [insert social practice here] were to be removed, allowing our jumping ability to run at full throttle?
I wouldn't believe you because jumping to the moon is unreasonable. Developing a stronger conscience is not.
I know you believe that. My question was why? Why do you believe that conscience has this innate level of potential perfection it would reach in the absence of blame? So far this is just a big fat assumption which neither you or Lessans have done anything to support.

Quote:
He demonstrates his observations regarding conscience in detail even though he didn't write the data down, and describes exactly why conscience does not work at full throttle in a free will environment, and why a no blame environment causes conscience to work more efficiently. Again, he is not saying to suddenly stop blaming, because this could make matters worse. He is trying to show you where a "no blame" environment will lead once determinism is established as a scientific fact.
You still aren't answering the question. What makes you think there is any natural full throttle state for conscience to reach? Consider again the jumping analogy. We have no natural full-throttle state for jumping that social practices prevent us from reaching. Our natural jumping ability is no greater than our past evolutionary circumstances have required it to be. Why is it not the same with conscience?

Quote:
Quote:
I'm asking you why you think a justification would always be necessary under those changed conditions.
And I've answered you. This was an inference that he made after years of careful observation. He didn't write the data down, but the data was in his head and it was significant. These conclusions did not come from a couple of samplings. It was a process of years and years of reading and analyzing which led him to seeing what kind of justifications people use in order to clear their conscience of any responsibility. Yes, there are mentally ill people whose consciences seems to have been severed due to childhood trauma, in which case they may kill without any apparent justification, but these extreme cases are rare and will disappear completely in time.
Sorry, but this is not answering me at all. Telling me he carefully observed things after years of reading and analyzing doesn't tell me jack shit about why a justification is allegedly always necessary. Nor does it help for you to repeatedly assert that the only exceptions are extreme cases of mental illness.

Quote:
Quote:
I am going to repeat one last time that he didn't plan on making a discovery. It happened after years of reading and studying. He was very insightful and perceptive which allowed these truths to be revealed to him even though he didn't plan on making a discovery through the scientific method. That does not mean that his discovery is unscientific. Once this discovery is confirmed valid, how he uncovered this discovery will be less important than the fact that he did, and for you to condemn him even while making a major discovery is unfair and undeserving.
Yet again, your response does not address the point. Why did he not anticipate such an obvious problem? Why did he not anticipate the need for him to provide evidential support for his own claims about conscience? And I'm afraid not using the scientific method certainly does make his non-discovery unscientific. If you don't use the scientific method then you are not doing science.
Angakuk (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Because someone else blaming a person is what conscience needs in order to come up with reasonable excuses which then loosens the grip that conscience holds. Knowing well in advance that he is not going to be blamed because everyone knows he can't help himself (since his will is not free) -- but he knows before he hurts someone that he can help himself; that nothing can make him hurt this person if he doesn't want to (you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink) --- prevents the desire to move in this direction because he cannot justify his contemplated actions. How can he offer excuses for his conduct when he knows he is already excused? Therefore, the only person he has to justify what he is about to do is to himself, no one else, and if his actions are first blows, he cannot do it because the justification that could be used to appease his conscience has been removed by changes in environmental conditions.
People can rationalize morally questionable decisions and actions by anticipating a guilty conscience just as well as they can by imagining being blamed by others, and the absence of blame will do nothing to prevent this. This has been pointed out to you before. The person in the no-blame environment can imagine doing X (which will harm some other person) and anticipates feeling guilty about it. In response he then comes up with the exact same rationalizations that a person in a blame environment would come up with in response to anticipated blame. Only instead of being the things he would say to those who would blame him, they are things he would say to himself to appease his own conscience. People do this all the time, fooling themselves into believing that what they are about to do is not something they should feel bad about. This astute observation alone completely destroys Lessans' entire argument.
Angakuk (11-25-2012), LadyShea (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
People can love other people for many different reasons and be enamoured, but marriage is a separate issue that is related to procreation and sexual desire in order to achieve that end. You cannot tell me that marriage and sex are unrelated, or just a peripheral aspect.
Your father wrote that physical attraction, sex and genitals are the ONLY factor involved. He said there is NOTHING ELSE, which is ridiculous and obviously wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacegirl
Quote:
You missed his whole point. It is correct to say that no matter what turns someone on, sex becomes central if romantic love is what a person is looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShea
It's not correct to say that, if you are applying it to all people. Sex may be central, or may be periphery...a wonderful bonus if you will.
No LadyShea, sex is not a wonderful bonus. It is of major importance in all species because sex is what brings new life. You cannot tell me in all honesty that this is just icing on the cake.
For a lot of people, it is just icing on the cake. Anyway, you're trying to avoid the point, which is that See-More (LOL) said there is NOTHING BUT physical attraction involved.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
By definition, that's what romantic (erotic) love is.
By who's definition? Why do you think erotic and romantic are synonyms?
That's why I clarified "romantic". It is the eros kind of love that involves sexual desire. Again, this doesn't mean someone cannot love other aspects of someone,
No, this doesn't mean that, but what Seemore said does.

Quote:
but it is a major factor in marriage and one of the major reasons for dissatisfaction and divorce, second to finances.
Yes, but so what? That's not what Seemore claimed.

Quote:
Neither you nor Lessans get to define other people's feelings or how they are prioritized in their own lives and relationships.
Quote:
Lessans made an accurate observation. I am not prioritizing people's relationships but if you look carefully you will see that what draws two people together for the purpose of marriage is not personality alone.
You're arguing against strawmen again, as usual.

Quote:
It's sexual attraction.
Yes, but not sexual attraction alone, like your Dad said.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-25-2012), LadyShea (11-25-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-25-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post

From these posts on this thread, it seems that both Peacegirl and Lessans placed a great deal of emphasis on sex as part of the relationship, and this quote by Peacegirl in post #22074,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegirl
In young love, sex is a major and central aspect of the relationship. Like Dr. Phil says, if sex is good it's 10% of the relationship. If it's bad, it becomes 90%.
would support that conclusion. It would also seem to indicate that for both Lessans and Peacegirl sex was either 'bad' or 'nonexistant' which would account for the relative importance to them. So the account as represented in the book and Peacegirls posts, must be seen as heavily biased from an abnormal sex life. It seems that neither of them was, or is, getting any, and so it becomes the most important factor in their lives. I wonder if this lack is dirving Peacegirl's fanaticism about the book and world peace, and just what kind of piece is she refering to?
Sex now seems to be central to this thread, or is it just a side issue?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Should everyone now feel guilty about enjoying sex?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 PM
This is the title that appears beneath your name on your posts.

Quote:
I'm sorry that you are skeptical to the degree that you can't even entertain the thought that he is right. Truth #1: Justification is necessary for human beings to gain at another's expense, and if the justification isn't there, they cannot do it.

Let me quote this excellent post in case you missed it or ignored it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
An important non sequitur in Lessans "logic" leading to freeing the world of all evil:
"In order to hurt another, man must be able to derive some satisfaction from this,"(p78)

Wrong. Much of the hurt that is done to others is with complete ignorance that anyone in the world has feelings of importance. I'm not sure what Lessans did in his relationships with others but he seems to think that everyone who hurt him had taken the time to think about it first. His solution relies upon that. In reality, many assholes are completely oblivious to the concept that pursuing their ambitions is a)hurting anyone b)happening in a world in which other people even have feelings. There is the occasional person who acts maliciously because they get joy from seeing someone else turn red with rage but that is the minority of injustice.

Where do you think the expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes from? People simply don't realize the harm they cause more often than not. In making that mistake Lessans has failed to even recognize the source of evil let alone provide any hints at its successful removal.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-25-2012), Kael (11-25-2012), LadyShea (11-25-2012), Spacemonkey (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I am creating no problem that you yourself aren't doing all by yourself. I understand the definitions you have given. I'm not using them in any other way than what you presented, therefore, I am arguing against the actual compatibilist position, and it's still wrong.
Quote:
None of what you just said is true. You tried to insist upon using what you thought was the standard definition, saying you didn't care how I was choosing to define my terms.
It's not that I didn't care; only the definition of "mere" causal determination is, by definition, lack of free will.

Quote:
And you repeatedly stated that you didn't understand the distinction I was making, the notion of freedom I had defined for you, or how it differed from contra-causal freedom.
You are insisting that man can be under the control of causal determination but can still be held responsible because they can change according to antecedent conditions, which is a faulty conception of free will.

Quote:
That's exactly what you're doing. What do you mean by "mere" causal determination?
Quote:
"Mere causal determination" means causal determination without the kind of experienced psychological compulsion I have been explaining to you. And why do you ask? Didn't you just tell me you understood the definitions I have given?
I did, but I wanted to understand what causal determination means in the context you are using it. It doesn't work because true causation where someone could not have chosen otherwise (regardless of what antecedent conditions were present) renders free will an illusion.

Quote:
You're very confused Spacemonkey. You are not listening at all, which is why you don't get it. This theory is wrong because there are no causal conditions where someone is free. That right there is a contradiction, which you are trying to overcome by distinguishing between compulsive actions and those that are not, but the point is that the compulsive actions you are deeming free and therefore blameworthy, are also under a compulsion. Can't you see the contradiction in what you just said?
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether or not it can be overcome in the face of really terrible consequences, the point is simply that this is a different kind of 'compulsion' to merely being caused
You are defining compulsion in one sense offered in the dictionary, but compulsion is anything that you are compelled to choose. If you threaten that I be killed if I do a certain thing, I will be compelled to prefer not doing that thing as a form of self-preservation. But even if the conditions aren't harsh, I am still compelled to choose the most preferable alternative even though this compulsion is not felt in the same way that an obsessive/compulsive disorder is felt. It doesn't change the fact that I am compelled to prefer the choice that gives me greater satisfaction. I may prefer eggs and bacon, or eggs and sausage. I really don't mind choosing either one, but I end up choosing eggs and bacon because I have a slight yen for the taste of the bacon over the sausage. Once my selection is made, I couldn't have chosen otherwise at that moment because my preference for the eggs and bacon was stronger. If two choices are exactly the same in preference, my next move (in the direction of greater satisfaction) might be to flip a coin or close my eyes and pick. That doesn't change the direction we must travel from here to there. The next day I may have a desire for an egg with sausage, which then becomes the more preferable choice, rendering any other choice in that comparison an impossibility because it would offer less satisfaction at that moment in time.

Quote:
Obviously, someone who is ill and does things compulsively has a different kind of problem than a "mere" causal condition, but it's still causal. That's what I've been trying to tell you.
Quote:
I don't think I'm confused, and I can assure you I am paying attention to what you say (probably more attention than you are).
You can't back up the claim that I'm paying less attention than you are, so don't make claims you can't support. :giggle:

Quote:
So why are you again telling me there is a contradiction without telling me what it is? I do not see any contradiction in what I said. Nor do you.
It is a contradiction to say that we have "mere" determination, which is causal, and in the next breath say we can be held morally responsible because we have the capacity to make the "right" choice than someone who has fixed responses regardless of the changes in antecedent conditions. That is not a useful definition because regardless of the antecedent conditions, man is compelled to prefer one alternative, and it cannot be the alternative that appears to him to be the least desirable among the available options.

Quote:
If you did, then you would have been able to tell me what it was. The actions I am deeming free and blameworthy are not under the kind of compulsion I have been talking about. And that renders them free in the only sense relevant to moral responsibility and blameworthiness. I've never denied that a person acting from compulsion is still causally determined, so I have no idea why you've been trying to tell me this.
There is no kind of compulsion that renders someone free in the only sense relevant to moral responsibility. You cannot agree that a person acting from compulsion, and then tell me that he has free will. Yes, he is free from the constraints that a person with a compulsive disorder has, but he is not free in terms of free will and moral responsibility. He is still compelled to do what he does regardless of what definition you use.

Quote:
Quote:
The kind of psychological compulsion I have been talking about certainly is a matter of degree - a compelled choice can be more or less resistant to changes in antecedent causal factors. But the difference between this kind of compulsion and causal determination is not merely one of degree.
So what is it then?
Quote:
I explained it in the post you just replied to: "Being caused merely requires the choice to be the same given the exact same antecedent causal conditions. Being compelled (in my sense) requires in addition to this that the choice will also be the same given significant changes in those antecedent causal conditions. This is not merely a difference in the degree of compulsion."
Just because someone can choose according to changed antecedent conditions does not in any way, shape, or form mean he has the kind of free will that renders him blameworthy. If he is caused, all of his actions are the result of all of his experiences, and his heredity, that make him who he is. There is no freedom in the sense that a person could have done otherwise.

Quote:
Just because there's no resistance to change does not mean a person is free in the sense of free will. Yes, he is free of psychological compulsion. But that doesn't mean his choices are blameworthy because they aren't the kind of "compulsion" compatibilists consider excusable.
Quote:
The lack of resistance to change in antecedent causal conditions makes the person free in the sense of free will that compatibilism has defined. It isn't meant to make the will free in any other sense, and especially not in the contra-causal sense. Compatibilism does not view that kind of freedom as morally relevant. And yes, according to compatibilism choices are made blameworthy by being 'compelled' only in the sense of being caused, because that is an excusable - i.e. not morally relevant - kind of 'compulsion'.
This distinction between different kinds of compulsion (although we all know that some choices are based on a much stronger desire than others, or of a disordered kind) is a logical construction that does not correlate with reality if you analyze it more thoroughly.

Quote:
You make an artificial distinction between causal determination and compulsion, which is the source of the problem.
Quote:
Your not liking it doesn't make it 'artificial' or problematic. What exactly is an "artificial distinction", and why are they bad? Are you trying to say that it is an ad hoc or irrelevant distinction? Could you support either charge?
That's what I've been trying to tell you. A person can have a disorder where he would be excused. For example, if he didn't show up to his class on time because he couldn't stop checking to see if the door was locked and the teacher was aware of his disability, he would be excused. But a person who has less of a compulsion is still compelled to choose that which is most preferable amongst different alternatives, He, therefore, cannot be held responsible or blameworthy for a choice he had to make based on his particular preference. I know that nothing I say is going to matter because your mind is made up that compatibilism is right.

to be cont...(this is a long post)

Last edited by peacegirl; 11-24-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
People can rationalize morally questionable decisions and actions by anticipating a guilty conscience just as well as they can by imagining being blamed by others, and the absence of blame will do nothing to prevent this. This has been pointed out to you before. The person in the no-blame environment can imagine doing X (which will harm some other person) and anticipates feeling guilty about it. In response he then comes up with the exact same rationalizations that a person in a blame environment would come up with in response to anticipated blame. Only instead of being the things he would say to those who would blame him, they are things he would say to himself to appease his own conscience. People do this all the time, fooling themselves into believing that what they are about to do is not something they should feel bad about. This astute observation alone completely destroys Lessans' entire argument.
A person will be unable to rationalize his actions when he knows in advance that no matter what he does, he will not be judged, blamed, or criticized. You are missing the fact that he needs to be able to shift his responsibility to something other than him as being partly or completely responsible. If he can't do that, his conscience won't be appeased. That's just the point. No matter what he does to try to rationalize his behavior, he can't do it because he can't lie to himself under these conditions, which prevents the desire to commit those very actions that heretofore his conscience would allow.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You tried to insist upon using what you thought was the standard definition, saying you didn't care how I was choosing to define my terms.
It's not that I didn't care; only the definition of "mere" causal determination is, by definition, lack of free will.
It was too that you didn't care: "I don't care about your choice of words... I could care less what definition of compulsion you are using". And by which definition of free will is mere causal determination a lack of this? Certainly not by the compatibilist definition of freedom, and that is the only one relevant to evaluating compatibilism.

Quote:
You are insisting that man can be under the control of causal determination but can still be held responsible because they can change according to antecedent conditions, which is a faulty conception of free will.
It's a different conception of free will, but you haven't said anything to show that it is faulty.

Quote:
I did, but I wanted to understand what causal determination means in the context you are using it. It doesn't work because true causation where someone could not have chosen otherwise (regardless of what antecedent conditions were present) renders free will an illusion.
It doesn't render the compatibilist notion of free will an illusion, and that is the only one we are discussing. Also, why did you ask me to explain a definition you said you already understood?

Quote:
You are defining compulsion in one sense offered in the dictionary, but compulsion is anything that you are compelled to choose. If you threaten that I be killed if I do a certain thing, I will be compelled to prefer not doing that thing as a form of self-preservation. But even if the conditions aren't harsh, I am still compelled to choose the most preferable alternative even though this compulsion is not felt in the same way that an obsessive/compulsive disorder is felt. It doesn't change the fact that I am compelled to prefer the choice that gives me greater satisfaction. I may prefer eggs and bacon, or eggs and sausage. I really don't mind choosing either one, but I end up choosing eggs and bacon because I have a slight yen for the taste of the bacon over the sausage. Once my selection is made, I couldn't have chosen otherwise at that moment because my preference for the eggs and bacon was stronger. If two choices are exactly the same in preference, my next move (in the direction of greater satisfaction) might be to flip a coin or close my eyes and pick. That doesn't change the direction we must travel from here to there. The next day I may have a desire for an egg with sausage, which then becomes the more preferable choice, rendering any other choice in that comparison an impossibility because it would offer less satisfaction at that moment in time.
You are again reverting to a definition of compulsion other than the one I defined for you. You said you weren't doing that: "I understand the definitions you have given. I'm not using them in any other way than what you presented". Moving in the direction of greater satisfaction is not an example of the kind of compulsion i have defined for you. And you still haven't identified any contradiction in my words which you said involved a contradiction.

Quote:
You can't back up the claim that I'm paying less attention than you are, so don't make claims you can't support. :giggle
Of course I can. I can and have. As an example, in your last post you argued against me by saying that no compulsion is uncaused, failing to pay enough attention to see that I had not said otherwise.

Quote:
It is a contradiction to say that we have "mere" determination, which is causal, and in the next breath say we can be held morally responsible because we have the capacity to make the "right" choice than someone who has fixed responses regardless of the changes in antecedent conditions. That is not a useful definition because regardless of the antecedent conditions, man is compelled to prefer one alternative, and it cannot be the alternative that appears to him to be the least desirable among the available options.
That's not a contradiction at all. Do you know what a contradiction is? It is something which says or implies something of the form 'A & ~A'. Saying that we are both merely caused and also morally responsible is not of this form - it is simply something you irrationally disagree with. And I have already explained why my definitions are useful.

Quote:
There is no kind of compulsion that renders someone free in the only sense relevant to moral responsibility. You cannot agree that a person acting from compulsion, and then tell me that he has free will. Yes, he is free from the constraints that a person with a compulsive disorder has, but he is not free in terms of free will and moral responsibility. He is still compelled to do what he does regardless of what definition you use.
I can and do say exactly what you keep telling me I can't say. And no, a person is not always compelled to choose as he does when we use the definition I have given you. That is obviously incorrect.

Quote:
Just because someone can choose according to changed antecedent conditions does not in any way, shape, or form mean he has the kind of free will that renders him blameworthy. If he is caused, all of his actions are the result of all of his experiences, and his heredity, that make him who he is. There is no freedom in the sense that a person could have done otherwise.
Being caused to choose as one does, and having his actions be the result of his experiences and heredity, does not prevent a person from having the compatibilist kind of freedom I have defined for you. And there is no reason not to consider such a person blameworthy for his actions.

Quote:
This distinction between different kinds of compulsion (although we all know that some choices are based on a much stronger desire than others, or of a disordered kind) is a logical construction that does not correlate with reality if you analyze it more thoroughly.
I know you don't like it, but it is a perfectly legitimate distinction which applies to reality perfectly well, as I have already explained to you.

Quote:
That's what I've been trying to tell you. A person can have a disorder where he would be excused. For example, if he didn't show up to his class on time because he couldn't stop checking to see if the door was locked and the teacher was aware of his disability, he would be excused. But a person who has less of a compulsion is still compelled to choose that which is most preferable amongst different alternatives, He, therefore, cannot be held responsible or blameworthy for a choice he had to make based on his particular preference. I know that nothing I say is going to matter because your mind is made up that compatibilism is right.
Your 'therefore' does not follow from the rest. You have again resorted to speaking of compulsion in a different sense to that which I have defined for you, and you have again reverted to speaking of the difference as a matter of degree when it clearly is not. A person who is merely caused to choose as he does most certainly can be held blameworthy, so long as he is free of the kind of compulsion I have been talking about, and you've said nothing to show otherwise.

All you've done in this post is repeatedly reassert your incompatibilist stance. At no point are you actually engaging with my points, or giving me any actual reason to question compatibilism. You are not making a rational case.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 11-25-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (11-25-2012), LadyShea (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
A person will be unable to rationalize his actions when he knows in advance that no matter what he does, he will not be judged, blamed, or criticized.
Yes he will. I just told you how. He can do so by anticipating a guilty conscience, and coming up with the same excuses he could come up with by anticipating external blame.

Quote:
You are missing the fact that he needs to be able to shift his responsibility to something other than him as being partly or completely responsible.
That's not a fact. It is precisely what I just showed to be wrong.

Quote:
No matter what he does to try to rationalize his behavior, he can't do it because he can't lie to himself under these conditions...
He can, and I just explained to you how. You haven't said anything to address my point. You are merely asserting that it will not be possible without a shred of evidence or supporting argument...

Just like your father.
Angakuk (11-25-2012), But (11-25-2012), LadyShea (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 AM
NeoTillichian Hierophant & Partisan Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, so all of us are totally abnormal in the degree to which personality influences our relationships?
It's not abnormal given the environment we have all been brought up in. It's no surprise that people find men or women who have certain talents as sexy.
Again, talents is just one aspect of personality. People fall in love with people, not just their bodies, not just a single talent...a whole person, with sex organs, AND lots of aspects and thoughts and opinions and traits.
I fell in love with my wife because of her totally awesome garlic toast.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
If he can't choose otherwise (beyond the compulsion compatibilists excuse), he is not blameworthy.
Why isn't he blameworthy?

Quote:
...if you look carefully you will see that what draws two people together for the purpose of marriage is not personality alone. It's sexual attraction.
What about people who get married for financial reasons? What about people who get married for dynastic reasons? What about arranged marriages? What about shotgun weddings?
LadyShea (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
But I will bump it for you anyway, highlighting the most important section.
Get off your high horse Spacemonkey. You are not the god of deciding what is important.
Spacemonkey (11-25-2012), thedoc (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Knowing well in advance that he is not going to be blamed because everyone knows he can't help himself (since his will is not free) -- but he knows before he hurts someone that he can help himself; that nothing can make him hurt this person if he doesn't want to (you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink) --- prevents the desire to move in this direction because he cannot justify his contemplated actions.
He can't help himself and he can help himself. Talk about your contradictions. That's one right there, that is.
But (11-25-2012), Spacemonkey (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
But I will bump it for you anyway, highlighting the most important section.
Get off your high horse Spacemonkey. You are not the god of deciding what is important.
You can lead my horse to pudding, but you can't make me get off it, because over that I have mathematical control. Future testing will prove me right. This is not about faith. You just have to accept everything I say until the evidence is available to support me. Who are you to decide for everybody who is or is not a god of deciding what is important? How many times do I have to say this?
Angakuk (11-25-2012), But (11-25-2012), LadyShea (11-25-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-25-2012), thedoc (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angakuk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, so all of us are totally abnormal in the degree to which personality influences our relationships?
It's not abnormal given the environment we have all been brought up in. It's no surprise that people find men or women who have certain talents as sexy.
Again, talents is just one aspect of personality. People fall in love with people, not just their bodies, not just a single talent...a whole person, with sex organs, AND lots of aspects and thoughts and opinions and traits.
I fell in love with my wife because of her totally awesome garlic toast.
So now instead of sleeping, the people (if any) in the front pews, will be passed out.
Thanks, from:
But (11-25-2012)

Freethought Forum > The Marketplace > Philosophy